Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2847

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2847
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

So Laura Trott got a gold in the omnium in a world cup competition. She’s a prodigious talent. It didn’t say what happened to Cavendish, I think he was competing in the men’s one. The only think he hasn’t got is an Olympic medal and he’d really like one, oh and a TdF yellow jersey, so he’s after one of those as well. He’s the most successful British male rider of all time with the most wins, a green jersey, a British champion’s jersey, a world champion’s jersey and so on. Nice to know he still has ambitions though he’s getting a little old to be the best sprinter—it tends to be a young man’s game. I hope he still has it in his legs to win a few more races and hopefully his Olympic medal and yellow jersey.

After the discussions with Sister Maria about Trish and their apparent delight at the card she wrote, today seems rather flat. At various times I’ve bought the girls nice pens and they’ve lost them or broken them. So this time I’ve bought some cheap ones which they can use to keep their journals, hopefully it will keep their writing from disappearing altogether in favour of texts or computers. While I was ordering the pens I got a huge bag of a hundred cartridges in washable blue ink. Generally, I use black ink but thinking of getting stains out of clothing, the washable blue is better for the girls.

My Lady Sheaffer skripsert VI clipless pen, one of my proudest possessions, still writes like a dream, I use it for signing letters and occasionally for generally writing things, is a step or two up from those the girls will be using, to start with, it’s a vintage pen which I believe goes back to the nineteen sixties, it’s paisley gold on blue enamel with a stainless steel nib. I don’t think is especially valuable, except in sentimental terms as I think I saw one advertised for sale at fifty or sixty pounds recently. But it’s really beautiful. The genuine ink cartridges for Sheaffer pens are quite expensive so I cheat – I buy bottles of ink and refill the cartridges with a syringe—one of the advantages of having a laboratory at hand.

lady%20V1%20paisley%20periwinkle%202.jpg

Like so many things today, all the different manufacturers make different disposables so while there is a generic cartridge for mostly cheaper fountain pens, the majority of the more expensive pens, Parker, Sheaffer, Cross, Waterman all have their own fitting cartridges aren’t interchangeable. While I accept the ink might be better than in the generic cartridges that I get for the girl’s pens, I use a branded ink like Parker Quink or Sheaffer to refill my own cartridges. The only problem is keeping the pen upright in a handbag that gets thrown into the car or dropped on the floor of my office, otherwise they can get ink running or leaking. I usually use a pen box, which fits in an upright pocket in the bag in the same sort of way a mobile phone pocket keeps them upright. Occasionally, I have the odd mishap and have to wipe it off or wash out the pen top, but generally it works.

If my study at home or my office in the university was searched and syringes with needles found strange assumptions could be made, but the only residues found in them would be ink.

I told Diane what I was doing with the girls regarding journals and pens, using my own to sign my letters. She thought it was a good idea although she said she hadn’t used a fountain pen since she left school—the same one I went to (only the girls’ one, if you can remember that far back I went to the boys’ one—yeah it was a mistake).

“You didn’t have that one in school did you?” she asked indicating the pen I had in my hand. “It would have raised a few eyebrows.”

“No, I had a Parker, quite a nice one—I still have it at home somewhere and used it regularly at university.”

She looked at me. “How old are you—thirty one or two?”

“Two,” I sighed.

“That’s right, about a year or so after me.”

“The relevance of which is...?”

“You are up to date in all sorts of things yet at the same time old fashioned.”

I gave her a curious look to indicate I wanted more information.

“Well, the fountain pens and handwriting are the most obvious ones. You seem to prefer mostly classical music to modern pop from the stuff you play on your MP3. Your dress sense is modern classical, so your clothes can last years, which probably isn’t bad because most of them are suitably expensive for an aristocrat’s wife. The bikes you tell me about are pretty up to date as far as I can gather as is you car but there’s something about you which harkens back to an earlier generation, isn’t there?”

“Is there?”

“Yes, a sort of old fashioned values: honesty, decency, hard working, close-knit family. I’ll bet you all have dinner together, don’t you and that digital phones are banned from the table?”

I blushed. “Have you been to dinner at my house?”

“No, is that an invite?”

“Possibly when life is a little less hectic.”

“I’ll bet you iron your knickers too, don’t you?”

“Goodness, is that the time?” I said trying to deflect her attention from my blush or my laundry intimacies. Yes I did iron them—when I have time—it’s supposed to help kill any bugs in the lining in the gusset, because so many machines wash at such low temperatures, I also wash them by hand sometimes like I do tights or stockings or bras—but I don’t iron those.

I did two hours teaching on ecology today and quite enjoyed it at the same time I’ll be glad to get my staff back so I can concentrate on my own job of running the department and supervising research. Apparently the government want professors to spend more time teaching and less time researching or publishing research which shows how little they understand what universities are for. Research and publication of papers is what makes our reputations not the numbers of bums on seats. Sometimes I think they confuse us with theatres or bus services. Now they’re talking about ending student grants yet they claim to want more of Britain’s young adults to have degrees, preferably in something other than media studies. They say one thing and do the other.

Going off to collect the girls I decided I might just ask Diane and her husband to dinner one night, if only to expose her to the talent and skills of our resident chef—doesn’t everyone have one? But not until I feel less stressed by staff shortages. At the moment, I’m just happy to get home and relax a little—okay sometimes I do it with my eyes shut (I try not to snore) and sometimes I just read or listen to music or spend time with the younger children—it helps them remember who is designated as their mother—though I haven’t got to the stage of needing a badge or sash to help them identify me—nah, I’m home more than that. It’s Simon they ask questions about, like—‘Who’s he?’

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
235 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I actually have one of these pens

Angharad's picture

which was given to me by my good friend and editor, the late Gabi Bunton, who I sorely miss.

Angharad

I'm more a rolling ball kind of girl......

D. Eden's picture

Pilot V-point Fine actually. Although more often than not you'll find me with a Pentel Twist-Erase 0.5 mechanical pencil. Hey, what can I say? I am an engineer you know?

Hey, at least I use a pink pen - black ink of course, but pink body.

I've never really been that enamoured of fountain pens. Too much bother, and too much mess. Plus, they tend to leak all over everything - especially when you fly a lot like I do.

Somehow, you manage to keep this story not only relevant, but interesting as well. This chapter is a case in point. You take something as inane as a fountain pen and you not only turn it into entertainment - you create a discussion topic for the evening, lol.

Thanks for making me smile Hon.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Date dependant values…

Rhona McCloud's picture

… are what the business world feeds on but as individuals we find it impossible to adapt entirely to the times. Still, is ironing knickers a step to far? Cathy has got me thinking!

Rhona McCloud

Mr Cavendish

Maddy Bell's picture

Came a creditable 4th in the Omnium.

At secondary school we had a choice - pencil or ink pen - that was finally relaxed in about year four, due I think to parental pressure. I still have my Parker somewhere - oh how I don't miss filling it with ink! Cartridges were much cleaner to use but ate into your funds somewhat more than a bottle of ink!
I'm not sure kids are required to use pen and paper after junior school these days, they are expected to do everything on a computer.


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

It is a beautiful pen.

littlerocksilver's picture

My handwriting was terrible from the git-go. I never really had any instruction. We just started cursive writing in the fourth grade, ca. 1951. I missed the first few days of school that year and I never caught up. After my botched prostate surgery seven years ago and two subsequent surgeries in the next six days it took me the better part of a year to just to be able to write my signature. I'm still having trouble with it. It used to be automatic. Now, I have to stop in the middle of it because the automatic has breaks in it - very frustrating.

Portia

I would suggest a better way of cleaning undies

Cold water wash is fine. But you have to throw in hefty amounts of Oxyclean (I buy the bulk version from Costco) and use a front load washer that concentrates its action. This plus a little Woolite cleans the Dickens out of panties. It also has a side benefit of eliminating to do that periodic cleaning of a front load washer using 'affresh'. If you take a hard look at the Affresh ingredients you will notice it is pretty much the same as Oxyclean. For her, this would be a time saver.

Syringes, needles, blue ink?

The other possibility is that Cathy is a true 'Blue blood' but needs to top it up occasionally.

Still lovin' it. x

bev_1.jpg

At Junior school ...

... we had to use horrible dip in pens and all the desks had inkwells which were kept topped up by the ink monitor :) Then we had to learn to do what we called, for some unknown reason, double writing (ie cursive script) without getting blots on the paper. Just about impossible and made harder by the l took to dry. Biros had just come out and were, of course, forbidden to use for school work because they would spoil our hand writing.

I'd forgotten all this until the last two episodes. I'll do my best to forget again.

Thanks Ang, always a pleasure to read Bike.

Robi

It was like that when I was in junior school

Angharad's picture

Inkwells and dip pens. We were taught a basic copperplate, then my last year there they changed it all to joined up printing which ruined my handwriting. My elder brother once described it as the trail left by a drunken spider that fell in an Inkwell!

Angharad

Angharad ...

... you can't possibly be that old :) Or they kept up that nonsense for far longer than could be justified other than on grounds of marginal child abuse.

R

It is so hard to find a good

It is so hard to find a good fountain pen today. I really miss that writing instrument as it caused one to write correctly and properly or find a big ink blot on your paper. What I have in use now is pens designed for calligraphy writing. Gives people I correspond with amazement that I can even do it, let alone that they get something like that from anyone today.

Nice chapter, beautiful pen !

Love a good Schaefer fountain pen, however, after ruining a few shirts, I use a Mont Blanc Meisterstruck ball point. I have a thing for pens.
Used to hate those non-cartridge fountain pens, with that rubber ink bladder. Always reminded me of a Three Stooges routine.

Cefin

Nice chapter, beautiful pen !

Love a good Schaefer fountain pen, however, after ruining a few shirts, I use a Mont Blanc Meisterstruck ball point. I have a thing for pens.
Used to hate those non-cartridge fountain pens, with that rubber ink bladder. Always reminded me of a Three Stooges routine.
Dallas, I'm an engineer and a drafts man, Remember those drafting bows. I came close to quitting once or twice after ruining six hours of work.

Cefin

Pens

I don't have a fountain pen but my favorite pen is about 30 years old by now. I use a Papermate that I got way back when I was still on active duty with the US Army. The refills tend to last me between 2.5 to 3 years. :)

Many years ago

when i was in secondary school i had an accident with a pen that cost me a detention , You might think how could that happen ... Well there was this fly doing what comes naturally to flies, Annoying you ! It kept flying around my head breaking my concentration so i did what you normally do , Waved my hand at it , Trouble is i had my fountain pen in my hand when i tried to hit the fly , Ink shot out the end of the pen straight onto the wall , Which was all the teacher saw , Despite my protest that it was an accident he decided that i was just messing around and that deserved a bit of after time school in a boring detention ...Had to use my pen there too to write out " i must not mess around in class " goodness knows how many times . All part of growing up i guess .

Kirri

Fountain pens..

I actually have two fountain pens,one is a cheap one that i refill the ink using a syringe and needle. The other pen comes with a converter,and i bought a bottle of ink of 5 dollars plus in asian currency. I use one for writing in my diary,the other for letter writing. I am glad to read another one of your splendid bike stories~

Aurora