Gaby Book 12 Chapter *31* Educated Guess

Printer-friendly version
book12.1coverfronts.jpg

 
 
*Chapter 31*

Educated Guess

 
 
Being a growing um girl needing to keep her strength up I had pork medallions with spätzle – a filling combination that in a typically German way looks disgusting but tastes great. Of course I managed to drop some on my front, Kat having to rescue the wayward vegetables from my cleavage before it could migrate further south!

“We’ll have to get you a bib.” Dad chuckled as I dabbed at the grease on my chest.

“Whatever.” I mumped, if I’d had something else on, you know, real clothes it wouldn’t have got down there.

It was a gorgeous afternoon, the cloud having completely burnt off leaving a blue sky marred only by a couple of vapour trails. It was good to see my parents so relaxed, which I think was the point of today’s exercise, take the pressure off before next weekend – I’m sure everyone will be stressed in Denmark! I finished my drink, Sprite™ today and sat back, the sun playing on my face.

 
 
I was vaguely aware of the others’ conversation, I guess I must have dozed off as the next thing I recall was Mum shaking my elbow.

“Gabs, come on we’re leaving.”

“Wha?” I offered.

“Time to go,” she prompted.

“Aw, she looked so cute as well,” Kat giggled.

My eyes snapped open; no one calls me cute and gets away with it!

“Why you,” I was up and moving in a flash but Kat had the starting advantage, I gave up the chase before I reached the gate, I mean it’s hardly dignified running in a dress, especially one where your boobs are constantly threatening to make a break for freedom! Not only that but once at the car I found that the moo had stolen ‘my seat’ in the front.

“In the middle, kiddo,” Mum instructed so not only have I lost my front seat but I get the somewhat less comfortable perch in the back, hmmph!

“Back down the river?” Dad enquired.

“You’re driving,” Mum stated.

“River it is, I spend enough time on the autobahns.” Dad observed.
 
 

Ever get the feeling you’re in the way? Mum and Maria resumed the conversation they’d been having over lunch but of course with yours truly sat between them it wasn’t an easy discussion. *Though we were now on the river side of the road there wasn’t a lot to see and even with the sunroof open it was quite warm inside the car prompting me to doze off again.
 
 

“And this, your Majesty is the Baron and Baroness von Strechau,” the flunky stated.

I curtsied, not easy in a ball gown and stupid ten-centimetre heels I’ll tell you!

“We meet again, Baroness,” the King noted.

“Er, yes, your Majesty,” I allowed recalling that previous embarrassing occasion down in Munich.

“I told you to call me Wills, if I recall,” the recently crowned Monarch observed.

“Um, yes, your Maj, er Wils,” I replied feeling my face turn a colour more associated with tomatoes.

“Baron, I may want to borrow your wife later for a twirl around the floor.”

“Of course, your Majesty,” Max allowed giving the King of England a very precise German bow complete with heel clicking.

The King moved along the receiving line, not before giving me a grin and wink.

 
 
“Max!” I complained to my new husband once the entourage was out of earshot, “You could’ve said something.”

“Like what?” he hissed back, “Sorry, your Majesty, she’s taken? He’s the king for heavens sake.”

How we’d got the invite to this reception I’ve no idea, it’s not like our little corner of German nobility is exactly one of the movers and shakers – just the opposite, the family pile is mostly pile, Max makes a living with the restaurant his father started and me, well I just about earn a crust racing bikes. Everyone else here is a part of the ruling ‘elite’, Willie and Marg are supposed to be here – not that I’ve seen the Habsburg’s since our wedding, the Chancellor and all the top politico’s of course and a lot of ‘old’ money.

Technically of course, Wills, that’s King William the fifth of course, could claim entitlement to the century dead German throne – I’ve certainly heard talk of just that and I don’t think it would be unpopular. Tonight’s reception isn’t anything to do with that, rather it’s part of a Europe wide series of events arranged to lift the King’s profile on the world stage. Kate, the Queen, well she’s excused as their third child is expected in the next few weeks, Prince George is almost six and Princess Elizabeth is two so it’s not like they’d travel without their mother.
 
 

“Ah, Baroness, a friendly face at last!”

“Your Majesty.”

“I told you, it’s Wills.”

“I think you’d best call me Gaby, then.”

“An English rose amongst all this Teutonic formality, how do you stand it, Gaby?”

“I er, we don’t normally mix in these circles, we’re like um, country cousins.”

“Well country or not, we are related, however distantly, so how about a spin on the tiles with your cuz from the old country?”

I’d never even considered that we had family connections so far away from rural Schloss Rech.

Max is right, when faced with a King in the flesh, you don’t say no to such a request. Wills led me out onto the dance floor where we joined the Hoi Polloi in a polka; you could see the looks of envy and in some cases hatred directed at me. He’s my cousin, by marriage, okay several times removed; I’d so not wanted to be part of the political jungle.

“Your dancing has improved from what I remember, Gaby.”

“More weddings than I’d care for,” I allowed.

“Can you believe they’ve had me taking lessons?”

“No! Really?”

“Yup, wouldn’t do for the King to step on peoples toes, eh?” he chuckled.

The music ended bringing our dancing to an end.

“Thank you, Baroness,” he stated taking my hand and kissing said digits.

“Your Majesty,” I allowed with a deep curtsey, damn frock!
 
 

“Away with the fairies again,” Kat’s voice offered.

“You staying there, Gaby?” Mum queried.

“What?” I supplied with a stretch.

“We’re at Maria’s.”

“Already?

“Yes already, you were asleep all the way back, must’ve been a good dream, you kept mumbling something about the king.”

“King?”

“Your dream kiddo, come on, I can smell something that if I’m not mistaken is Hen’s homemade frikadel.”

Dreams being what they are I couldn’t remember any of it clearly, something about dancing, probably the Garde – weird things dreams.

 
 
My hand found my alarm and the incessant buzzing finally stopped. Urgh school, demanded by the aged, damned by the youth it’s inflicted upon. With a sigh I flung the duvet back and with a shiver, rose to start the first day back with a shower.

“Show a bit of enthusiasm.” Dad suggested when I reached the kitchen.

“Why?”

“Because, young lady, you need an education and whether you like it or not that means attending school.” Mum cut in.

“Mu-um,” I started to whine.

“And if you don’t get a move on I’ll deliver you myself.”

So look, I’m a teenager, that’s a threat not to be taken lightly. Let’s face it, who at fifteen wants either parent, but especially their mum, to take them to school? Not me for sure, I’d best shake a leg I suppose.
 
 

“She never?” Con exclaimed.

“Straight up, said she’d take me herself.” I informed my peers before taking a slurp of caffeine.

“We probably should get off or we will be late,” Steff mentioned.

“Come on, girls, time to move.” Frau Thesing stated dropping our lunches on the table.

“Yes, Mum.” Con allowed.

Our slightly decreased number exited the bakery and we were soon heading down the cycle track towards Ahrweiler and our place of learning. It felt a bit weird pedalling the clunky Schauff along in my pedal pushers, cami and cardigan when at the weekend I’ll be speeding around Denmark in skinsuit and crash helmet on my race bike. Life can certainly be strange.

 
 
Of course the first day of a new school year can be well weird, new students looking scared to bits, older incumbents meeting friends, teachers keeping an eye on the arriving mass of hormones. All too soon I was back in the familiar surroundings of Fr. Dürst‘s homeroom.

“So, we are all returned, I hope you all had a good summer.”

“Yes, Frau Dürst.” We pretty much all chorused.

“I have your timetables for you, after registration we’ll sort those out before Frau Boxberg’s address. You are of course the senior class this year so you get to join the teaching staff on the stage so when we go down good behavior please?“

“Yes, Miss.”

“So, Armin?”

“Here.”

“Bond?”

“Gabs!” Steff hissed.

“Ow!”

“Fraulein Bond.” Frau Dürst offered again.

“Yes, Miss?”

Of course this provoked a round of giggles and general mirth.

“I know it has been a busy summer, Fraulein Bond, but you do remember how we do registration?”

“Um yes, Miss, erm sorry.”

“Right then, Ebernsburger?”

“Here, Miss,” Brid offered.

 
 
I’m guessing most schools do the big assembly thing at the start of the new school year, here at the Silverberg Gymnasium we get to repeat it at the start of each semester. Of course previously I’ve been part of the mass of teenagers now filing into the sports hall but today we get seats and a view.

“Shift along, Gabs.” Pia requested.

“Not again.” I mumped as I scooted along to the next seat.

“Morning, Gabs.”

I nearly jumped out of my skin, which attracted some titters from those around me and provoked a heated response from my face.

“Strechau.” I allowed.

“You alright? You look a bit flushed.”

“I um.”

“Time of the month.” Pia thoughtfully whispered across to Max.

Thank you, Fraulein Sebenschuh, just what I needed.

Maddy Bell © 12.04.2014

up
315 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Dreaming.

I just never remember my dreams. In fact until I was told categorically that we all definitely dream (something to do with R.E.M. (rapid eye movement) sleep), I firmly believed that I never dreamt.

I never considered that Will's would be a contender for a resurrected German throne -if (God forbid) it ever came to pass. I thought Kaiser Whilhelm had children didn't he? Despite abdicating and living in Holland, I think he had male heirs.

Frankly the mind boggles! (Britain and Germany under the same constitutional monarch? Talk about a European super-state!!!)

Louise le dix-neuvième aurait sérieusement son travail découper!!!

All in all a good chapter.
Thanks Maddy.

bev_1.jpg

erm

Maddy Bell's picture

not sure where you got that idea from!

“Of course, your Majesty,” Max allowed giving the King of England a bow

Mads


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Interesting...

If Wills is now King of England, does this mean that Scotland, Wales and northern Ireland are now independent nation states?
Is Wales now a republic, or do we discover that Rhod/Mfanwy is Owain Glyndŵr's heir?

"Could claim entitlement"

Podracer's picture

I think is what Bev meant; what if he did?
Gaby bemoans attending school, but I bet she'd be bored out of her tiny blond skull without it, and all of her friends occupied for the day.

"Reach for the sun."

As always

Dahlia's picture

I enjoy it immensely. Thanks again for the tale and the time you spend writing for our enjoyment.

Dahlia

Still can't stand the truth

Jamie Lee's picture

Drew has to be kept busy or the fairies come and get her. Her ability to concentrate on her surroundings wains when she has no interest in what's occurring around her, or she is actually left out of the events taking place around her. Add to the mix a warm atmosphere and it instantly becomes nap time for Drew, who has the most vivid dreams ever.

Was her dream about being married to Max and seeing King Willis again, based on any desire Drew subconsciously has, or the cockeyed ability of the mind to put puzzle pieces of thoughts together to form something familiar to our experiences?

Why is Gaby at school but Drew refuting her presence by kicking Steff when Steff hisses Gaby? Drew is going to have an operation to open her vigina, and the surgeons will likely rearrange Herbert at the time. When that occurs, Gaby will be present then and for as long as she lives. Very few think of Drew as a boy, even business staff call her a girl in various ways. It's time Drew quits fighting what others plainly see, and accept he is the girl named Gaby.

Others have feelings too.