Testing Times - Chapter 22 "Shrink Wrapped"

Printer-friendly version
Testing Times - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part
Twenty Two

 

"Shrink Wrapped"

 
Sunday 10th May (Continued)
 

When Tammy arrived in the dining room, John, Angela and Lori weren't far behind but there was no sign of Helen or Tanya.

Tammy surveyed the room as Elsie came over. "Where is she? Is she alright? Did anyone say anything?"

"No, Elsie, everything was fine. Tanya dressed in Helen's room so the pair may be talking. Anyway, I think I understand why my Headmaster is here but I didn't think any of us needed a shrink today?"

"That's none of your concern, as far as anyone's concerned she's a guest of mine."

"Yes, Elsie."

"Please go find Helen before I go up there myself."

Tammy scooted, reaching the landing just as the two girls came out of Helen's room. "What's up Tammy?"

"Sorry Tanya, I was sent to chase the pair of you downstairs. What have you been up to?"

"Talking!" The pair spoke in unison.

"Silly me, I thought you knew each-other."

"Not as well as we should have, Tammy," sighed Helen. Tanya was nodding, "it seems we never had anything in common, but Helen's not even common any more!"

By now they'd arrived in the dining room and the giggling attracted plenty of eyes. Everyone else had grabbed a plate of food from the buffet and were migrating to the drawing room but Elsie was stood with Dr Jill Davison. Tanya was obviously a buffet expert as she was back out of the room in under a minute, oblivious to the discussion that was taking place.

"Helen, I would like you to have a talk with Jill. I believe the study is free."

Tammy was not happy, "Helen you don't have to do this. She's a shrink, she's my shrink."

"Oh,Tammy, why do you need a shrink? Elsie, do I have to?"

"No, Helen, but I would like you to have some time with Jill. If you don't want to see her again then that's fine but please speak to her now."

Tammy wanted to say something but was caught by Elsie with a glare, Jill similarly was hostile to Tammy. "Tammy, you didn't have to say that, and you should know that I never discuss other clients. Helen, you might want to get a plate of food first."

Tammy shrugged and went to pick something for herself, although her appetite was waning. Helen picked at the selection then wandered towards the waiting doctor. By now Tammy was the only one left in the dining room so went to join the others.

"What kept you, Tammy?" Tanya was looking concerned, "and where's Helen?"

"Our friendly local shrink has her."

"A shrink? Your shrink?" She asked softly. Tammy nodded. "Oh, what's Helen done to deserve that? She isn't like you, is she? Oh, no she couldn't be."

"You changed together, didn't you, she's one hundred percent girl. This was Elsie's idea and I daren't interfere."

Helen finally returned after fifteen minutes and was immediately directed to see Dr McIntosh, the Head of St Andrews. Tammy wasn't paying attention when she was tapped on the shoulder.

"Your turn, young lady."

"I don't need to see you, Jill."

"No, but what if I said it could help Helen?"

"Against my better judgement? Okay." She abandoned her plate but picked up a glass of white wine en route.

"Please shut the door."

Tammy sat in one of the leather armchairs, Jill was in the other. "What's this all about?"

"Helen mentioned your name twenty or thirty times during our chat."

"She might have done, but I was instrumental in identifying her problem Friday morning."

"I think you're overplaying your role."

"Yesterday I was told I was underplaying it. What's this all about? She mentioned my name, so what?"

"I think we need to work on your anger, Tammy, but not today. Helen is grateful to you, very grateful. She tells me you're in a relationship."

"We're not, she just needs support."

"The kind of support you gave Angela when she started her transition?"

"That's not fair, you were out-voted when you accused me of that before Christmas."

"Well, is it?"

"No it isn't, most of the time she needs a hug or her hand held. She's economical with her words so most of the time I don't say anything."

"The kisses?"

"She's kissed me but I'm not predatory, if that's where you are heading. I'm not a gold-digger either, I don't need her new found wealth, not that she really knows how much she's worth yet."

"I understand the press were here yesterday?"

"She doesn't understand the damage they could do, she's fairly naive."

"So are you taking advantage of that?"

"NO!"

"Thank you Tammy, that's all."

Tammy left without saying a word, her wine glass forgotten. She found Helen waiting for her outside the study.

"I'm sorry Tammy, I didn't know she would want you!" Helen wrapped herself around Tammy. "Do you forgive me?"

"It wasn't your fault, let's rejoin the party." Helen's arms slipped down so they were facing each other holding hands. Tammy leant over and kissed Helen, blushing immediately."

Jill stood in the study, watching intently.

The lunch party continued, but Helen insisted her and Tammy shuffled around the room as a couple. Indeed it was now very obvious that they were an item but neither were challenged on this point.

By four the party had dissipated. Helen was bored, and tired. Tammy needed to get home.

"Helen, I need to do some revision and get an early night. You'll have to come into school in the morning, I normally go there about seven fifteen so I can have breakfast and catch up with the gossip."

"Will Lori and Angela be there?"

"Not at that time, at least not normally. They'll arrive some time after eight. We have a meeting with one of the Deputy Heads on a Monday and Friday until the exams are over, we're free after the meeting."

"Can I go home with you?"

"Helen, dear, both of us need to do revision, your first exam is barely two days away. You need peace and quiet, so do I. I'll pick you up in the morning, okay?"

"Okay". Helen held Tammy and kissed her before walking away, a tear forming in her eye. Tammy went to the Rose Room, gathered her belongings and walked to the scullery for the back door. Elsie intercepted her.

"Tammy, I know you didn't agree with my decision, but I thought it was needed."

"I thought it was cruel, she dragged me in there too."

"Why?"

"She accused me of forcing myself on Helen, the same way she accused me over Angela."

"Oh, I didn't realise."

"You haven't had to suffer Jill, have you? It's not something I would volunteer for and I really don't think Helen needed a shrink when she has all the other support."

"I should speak with her."

"Don't, please, don't. Firstly she needs to get into her school-work but secondly you may have done enough to upset her in one day."

"I see." Elsie was not comfortable being lectured by Tammy. "Can I at least give her your direct number?"

"That's fine, but can I have a few hours first to get some work done?"

"I understand, I'll speak with her at dinner."

"Okay. I'll pick her up just after seven in the morning, we'll breakfast at school so I can introduce her to the rest of the sixth form. I haven't told her what the dress code is, though."

"I'll have Anna lay some clothes out for her in the morning. What time is her appointment?"

"Eleven."

"I'll collect her from school, would you care to meet us at one?"

"Sure, the hotel?"

"Yes."

"Will she be ready for that exposure?"

"We'll find out, won't we?"

"Bye Elsie."

Tammy rode the waiting golf buggy home, plugging in a charging lead before going indoors. She took her weekend case to her room with the intention of sorting it out and lay on her bed for a moment.

Tammy woke with Joan stood over her. "Eh, hello mum."

"I think we need to have a chat about relationships."

"Really? I'm not a little girl and I am on the pill." Tammy did her best to giggle as she propped herself up.

"I am concerned, Tamara Smart, Elsie spoke to me yesterday and I could see for myself that you are not yourself."

"Not myself? I beg to differ. Did you speak to Elsie before or after Jill got her claws on me?"

"Jill? I didn't see her but your Dad and I were a little late."

"Elsie asked her to speak to Helen as apparently I am doing the same to the girl as I did to Angela."

"That's not right."

"I know it isn't and I told Jill that, not that she wanted my opinion. Helen was not prepared for her time with a shrink and I don't believe it was needed - Elsie is interfering."

"That's understandable, Helen is the niece she couldn't acknowledge."

"She's also an eighteen year old who needs to establish herself as an adult in the real world and not have others decide everything for her."

"True, just give her a few days."

"Can the guest room be made ready for her? I think it would be better for Helen to be over here, it would make the school commute easier too."

"I'll discuss that with your father, I hope it's not an excuse to have her in your bed?"

"No!" Tammy blushed, "Helen needs stability and support, over there she'll be isolated. I wouldn't be surprised if Elsie starts making Helen her protégé. She'll have no grounding in real life if that happens."

"Okay, I will talk with your father. What's your plan for tomorrow?"

"School first thing, I'll pick up Helen on my way. Back here then I have a lunch date with Elsie at the Castletown."

"Right, you're cooking tomorrow evening so don't be late."

"Yes, mum. Why wasn't the pool filled? I had a look when I parked the cart."

"There's a problem with the drainage, it'll be a few more days before you can use it. Now, get a move as dinner's in twenty minutes, I suggest you jump in the shower as your hair's a mess."

"Oh," Tammy took herself over to a mirror, "I see what you mean." Joan went out the door, leaving Tammy to herself.

 
Monday 11th May
 

"Finally, I'd like to welcome Miss McPherson who has joined the sixth form until the end of term." The Head indicated to Helen that she should stand.

The Head had caught Tammy, and Helen, on their way into breakfast and asked whether she should be addressed as Lady Foreland, Miss Salmond or Miss McPherson. "Oh, just 'Helen' would do, Sir."

"I see, 'Miss McPherson' it is then. I'll inform the senior staff."

Tammy decided that Helen could be spared the assembly so went to the common room after breakfast to introduce her to the many sixth formers who would pass that way.

"We weren't allowed a kettle in our common room, just an awful vending machine." She sipped her coffee. "Mum didn't like me drinking coffee either, she said it was a stimulant."

"It is, but it helps me in the mornings along with the large percentage of the adult population, so why fight it?"

"Oh, I like it, decent coffee anyway."

Helen was respectfully dressed in a long black skirt, paired with a white blouse and a plaid cardigan. It looked to Tammy like Elsie had won that battle this morning.

She was cautious in the alien environment of a private school, but had already told Tammy that she hadn't been comfortable at Thurso High either, because of her mother's continuous interference. She had, however, managed to mask her feelings and ignore any of the nastier comments that had come her way. None of this conversation continued near the boys of the sixth form.

Most of the boys were naturally wary of her, given that on Friday they had no inkling that another girl would be starting at the school. Many had no idea who she was anyway, most just gave her a wide berth, although pleasantries were exchanged by the more daring or respectful. Tammy was very aware that Helen might take her hand for support, but that would have initiated a high alert on the rumour network that was unstoppable.

There wasn't any rule about displays of affection at St Andrews, it was just assumed that the boys didn't need such guidance and the governors had yet to discuss any additional policy changes relating to the female intake.

By nine, the lower sixth had gone to their lessons or to the library for private study. Deputy Head Mr Thompson knocked on the door and asked the upper sixth if he could hold the meeting in the common room as none of the near classrooms were free.

"I'd like to welcome Miss McPherson who has joined us until the end of the summer term, she'll be looked after by Miss Smart and Miss Small for the next few days." This was news to Angela who had arrived in the room just before Mr Thompson.

"There are no exams today but the season starts tomorrow morning. Please ensure you have your exam timetable, please also check if the exam is being held in the gymnasium or one of the classrooms as there have been a few alterations. Finally, make sure you have adequate supplies of pens and pencils and any other equipment. There is an extra bus into town at ten o'clock, returning at midday, for those who need the stationers. I will be available in my room for the next half hour if any boys, or girls, have any queries."

With that he left the room, many of the sixth formers started drifting out, others made a beeline for the kettle.

"Tammy, what do we do now?"

"Your appointment's at eleven?"

"Yes."

"I was going to go home and study there, Elsie said she'd pick you up from here."

"I know, but could you give me a tour of the school? I'd also like to move to your home, if I could."

"Why not stay where you are?"

"I'm just not comfortable, it feels more like a hotel than a home."

"Have you said this to Elsie?"

"I don't dare, I mean she's been so kind to me and everything, but I don't have the money to stay on my own yet, not that I think I'm ready."

A couple of boys had started to listen so Tammy guided Helen out of the room and started the tour. Although it wasn't necessary, they first went to Tammy's dorm.

"Did you really stay in here?"

"Once I was in the sixth form, until then I shared with John."

"So, he knew about your little problem?"

"Not until last autumn. Would you like a drink?"

"Tea?"

Tammy took a couple of containers out of her bag, she had a small jar of coffee, some tea bags and portions of UHT milk. She filled up the kettle and put it on to boil, before sitting on her bed. Helen joined her.

"This is cosy."

"It was home for me." There was a tap on the door, startling the pair, Tammy stood to open it finding John outside.

"I could hear you filling the kettle, any chance of a cuppa?" He spied Helen sat on the bed, "oh Hi Helen." He blushed, Tammy noticed it but said nothing.

"You'll have to bring a cup, John, I only have two."

"Mine both need washing, don't worry about it." He retreated, closing the door.

"Tammy, what was that about?"

"I suspect he wasn't expecting to find you here, I'll find out a bit later."

"Is it something I've done?" Helen was upset.

"No, no, I'll ask Tanya what's going on."

"Why her?"

"John was embarrassed, that probably means Tanya's asked him to find something out."

Tammy took her phone out and sent Tanya a message, asking what John was up to. Her reply didn't take long, although Tammy made the two cups of tea before reading it.

Why?
 
He just left my room blushing badly
 
Is Helen there?
 
Yes
 
That's why
 
That tells me nothing, Miss Smith
 
Well, are you and her an item???? Miss Smart?
 
None of your business!
 
That's what I thought, so I asked John to find out
 
Can't do your own dirty work?
 
Not when you have a willing boyfriend
 
Typical! Got to go
 
ttfn

"So what did she say?"

"Tanya wants to know if we're in a relationship. I told her it was none of her business."

"Oh, so are we?"

"I don't know, Helen, I don't know."

Helen leaned over to kiss Tammy, resistance was futile.

up
384 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So glad

Dahlia's picture

I'm so glad that you have been able to renew this story line. I love each section and missed it when it disappeared there for a while.
Thanks for the effort and time.

Dahla

Tammy needs to get some

Tammy needs to get some separation between her and Helen right now, as she is just beginning her new career and schooling. She could easily cause herself to be removed from the program and lose her clearance just based on common gossip and rumors. She does not need that in her life.

oh dear!

Our girl is going down a stormy path with this Helen business, imagine the gossip in a crusty boys school when they think there is a female to female relationship going on under their noses! Their horrible testosterone lurches will drive them all insane, I bet the exam results at St. Andrews will be well down this year, giggle

Thank you Shiraz,

Testing times for Tammy indeed ! I must agree that the testosterone fired boys will have a 'field day' if it comes out that Helen and Tammy are an 'item' ,males are far greater gossips than females.

ALISON

Nothing Has Really Been Said

joannebarbarella's picture

About how Tammy feels towards Helen. It's obvious how Helen feels, but in the previous episode I thought that Tammy was trying to hose her down. It now appears that Tammy is weakening. Perhaps it's just that she is being protective, but, like others here, I can't help feeling that she is putting both of them in real emotional jeopardy if she allows a relationship to blossom.

Mind you, all-male schools have been known to foster boy-on-boy situations, so maybe the reaction would just be shrugged shoulders.

I doubt strongly it would be shrugged shoulders,

boys fantasize about two girls with them. I agree Tammy is showing poor judgment, but since when did judgment work in such situations. Both could be badly hurt out of this.

Too much presumptions

Jamie Lee's picture

Elsie and Jill are overly presumptuous in deciding who needs to talk to Jill. Jill is presumptuous that it's her they need to see. Helen was treated much the same as Angela, her mother keeping her isolated, making all her decisions, and lying about her records.

The really sad thing which is being used against all three is their compliance to given orders, which they gained from their schools. Tammy gave Elsie a piece of her mind before leaving for the night, something that should have been done when the order came to speak to Jill. It wouldn't have hurt to provide the same to Jill.

Tammy may lack a lot of real world experience and knowledge, but she is far from the shrinking violet Tom was. If people keep ordering her around as though they know what's best for her, she is liable to treat them as she treated the bank employee, and damned the consequences.

Others have feelings too.

Psychologists

Tammy, Angela and Helen could really do with having a different psychologist - while Jill is trusted by the family and has specialised in gender matters, she has a terrible bedside manner. They need someone they're comfortable talking with, who can gently tease out their issues and work with them on resolving them.

Helen regards Tammy as her saviour, and probably due to her extremely closeted life, interprets her gratitude as love. Tammy, in turn, recognises that for the short term at least, she has the designated role of Helen's protector, and having experienced Angela's reactions to disappointment, is reluctant to play down Helen's romantic expectations too much. She's still blindly stumbling through handling inter-personal relationships and doesn't trust anyone to show her how.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Tammy

Needs to run like all the hounds in hell are after her!