The Crush: Josh the Mermaid

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Contests: 

Publication: 

Character Age: 

Permission: 

 

The Crush: Josh the Mermaid

by Erin Halfelven

Mermaidjosh.jpg

“Huh. Hannah is certainly looking hot tonight,” I mentioned to Mike.

He looked where I was looking, at the girl in the mermaid costume talking to Darryl Marsh, and scoffed. “That’s not Hannah.”

I took a sip of my coke punch, wishing again that someone had managed to spike it. “What do you mean?” The little ginger blonde flipped her costume tail and showed dimples in her cheeks, laughing at something Darryl had said. She was sitting on the arm of an old brocaded couch. “She wore the same costume at Halloween two years ago.”

Mike laughed softly. “Yeah, but that’s not Hannah. She’s over by the kitchen in the Robin Hood get up.”

I did a double take – another cute little blonde, this one in Lincoln green and almost the same face, partly concealed by a domino mask. “Hannah has a sister?” I asked.

Mike laughed again. “Beano,” he said, “how many people in our school? Less than two hundred; you practically know everyone in every class.” The joys of private schools in expensive suburbs everywhere. “So you tell me who that is in Hannah’s old mermaid costume.”

I glanced around the room. The Valentine’s Day Disguise-for-Romance Party was being held in the rec-room of the Episcopalian Church, which is why no one had spiked the punch. About forty kids, most in costume, milled around listening to stale 80s music picked by the chaperones. Mike was right, I knew and recognized everyone I could see, costumed or not.

I took another sip of punch and examined the mermaid with a little more intensity. The bottom half of her costume was an actual swim-tail, made for playing at being a mermaid in a swimming pool. It shimmered and glittered with fake scales, green and gold and pink. The top part was a shining bikini-half made to look like shells cupped over her small breasts. A necklace of beads alternating with fake doubloons dangled around her neck and down into her cleavage. Not a lot of cleavage, but….

“That’s her kid brother, Joshua,” I said. “The one who got hurt in the car accident last November.”

“Yup,” said Mike. “He’s in physical therapy learning how to walk again so the mermaid costume sort of works.”

“More than sort of,” I said, starting toward her.

Darryl Marsh got out of my way when I loomed at him.

“Charley Bean,” she said as I stopped in front of her. And she laughed like little chimes made of seashells.

I grinned. “Can I get you some punch?” I asked.

“Sure,” she said, gesturing at her tail. “I’m sort of stuck here.”

We didn’t say or do anything at all for a moment, just looking at each other. Her eyes are green, instead of blue like her sister’s, I thought.

A chaperone happened by with a tray of glasses and I snagged a punch.

“How con-veeen-ient,” she said, giggling as I handed it to her.

She took a sip and I watched her. She took the glass away from her face and lifted a delicate blond eyebrow at me.

“Josh…” I began.

She flicked her tail. “Call me Josie, Beano.” She blushed.

“Josie, then,” I said. “The beach in February is kind of chilly; would you like to go to a movie tomorrow?”

She blinked and flicked her tail again. “Maybe….” She seemed to consider and started to ask something but I interrupted.

“I’m asking Josie the mermaid,” I said.

She shook her head, frowning a tiny frown. “Are you sure?”

“Are you?” I countered. “You’re the cutest girl at this party; why wouldn’t I ask you out?”

She glanced across the room at her sister who winked in our direction. “I’m not…. You…. Uh….”

“Say yes,” I said.

She laughed at herself and me. “Okay, yes, then.”

I leaned close and she leaned toward me. “Wear your tail,” I whispered.

up
329 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Awwwe!!!

This is so cuuuute mew <3

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

cool!

"wear your tail"

I bet they have a fun date!

DogSig.png

Too C@#$

This story is too cute to have stopped but some stories have to end and hold you into thinking really?

Wolf_0.jpg

Thank you Erin,

This story is just sooooo sweet !!!

ALISON

Hee!

Podracer's picture

Finished my day with a smile.

"Reach for the sun."

Well the Dansh people in

Well the Dansh people in Copenhagen always claim "The Little Mermaid" is a beautiful girl, so Josie is simply living up to the billing. Very nice short story.

Incredibly cute!

I just love stories that feature acceptance.

He'll Have To Pick Her Up

joannebarbarella's picture

And carry her in and out of the movie theatre, so her arms will be around his neck all the time.

I've heard of pick-up lines...

but that last one has to take the cake :P

Thanks, Erin! Here's hoping we see more entries!

Melanie E.

Lovely

Valcyte's picture

Short and sweet. If only more boys had such clear vision.

Val

Awww 'wear your tail' is a

Awww 'wear your tail' is a line i hope to use sometime soon... but probably not a mermaid's tail

Xx
Amy

Nice tail!

.

:)

Beano saw the hidden beauty and is not going to lose the chance out for a date before the night end and regret the rest of his life for not asking Josie out. If Josie is for real then I am happy for both of them. But if Josie is just a temporary mask of Joshua then my sympathy is for Beano. Anyway I think I can guess it is on the happy side because it seems they know each other pretty well and on top of 'yes' from Josie, the wink from Her sister means all is good. ;)

Delayed Splash?

How did I manage to miss "Hannah" and "Darryl" in the first two lines of a mermaid story for something like the first six times I read it?

Eric

Aww. So sweet.

WillowD's picture

Thank you Erin.

She's having punch with a chaser

laika's picture

A mermaid chaser that is, if his "wear your tail" line is any indication.

Guys with a fishgirl fetish can be very sweet, and make a mermaid feel all kinds of special, or their fixation can be a problem if all they're interested in is getting some scaley taley, and lose all interest when a mermaid who also has a landpeople side wants to be his human girl too. I'm hoping this little meet-adorbs can turn into romance for Beano and Josie, and that he'll appreciate her for everything she is, whether she's feeling like and presenting as a mermaid, a human girl, or even a boy if she's one of those strange creatures sometimes. It's an IDIC world & there's room it it for every sort of identity.

I see that I kudoed this cute little story when it was posted, so I must've read it;
but why I neglected to comment at the time is a total mystery...
~hugs, Veronica

.
The closest approximation to what it's like in my brain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u08E7c-FRbU&t=4s