Marley For the Win Part 4

Printer-friendly version

Marley for the Win Part 4

With numbers pinned and hugs all taken care of the May family entered the starting area right when the announcer called for the junior girls. “OK, you too, best of luck,” Lisa said as she rejoined the other parents around the starting area. Ann and Marley stood silently and tried to hide their nervousness as the other racers all filtered up to the line.

“Hey you guys, Marley and Ann?” an older girl said wearing a BikeTech jersey.

“Yeap, that’s us,” Ann replied.

“OK I’m Amy and this is my sister Mandy,” the girls said as she tapped another girl on the shoulder, she turned around and beamed a friendly smile. The older girl Amy looked super serious, she was rail thin, and had her hair pulled tightly back under her helmet, she was one of the few girls with no makeup or jewelry on. Figures it’d probably slow her down, she didn’t look like she smiled much, Marley thought. Her shorter sister, Mandy, on the other hand had a headful of frizzy hair poking out from under her helmet and was quick to smile. They were both on top of the line Trek race bikes with Dura Ace components, Marley was instantly jealous.

“So what’s BikeTech,” Marley asked.

“That’s our Dad’s bike shop, he sponsors this race, and the team,” Amy answered.

“Cool,” Marley replied.

“Yeah, he’s asked us to look out for you, so get behind our wheels if you can and we’ll try to help you out, but this is a race, so you know,” Amy said.

“Yeah we understand, thanks,” Ann answered.

“Have you guys raced before?” Mandy asked.

“No this is the first time,” Ann replied.

Amy didn’t look happy, “well you have at least rode in groups and drafted right?”

“Oh yeah we train with our Mom all the time, and we’ve been to some group rides,” Marley answered.

Ann didn’t look impressed, “OK, just don’t run us over and don’t freak out and lock up your brakes unless you have to, the last thing we want is a crash,” she said.

The announcer came to the front of the group with a microphone, “OK ladies, you’re all racing together but remember you’re only racing against those in your class. Now we’re going to line you out by class, let’s start with 16 to 18s,” a group of the 5 tallest girls formed the first line, 2 of them were in BikeTech colors one of which was Amy. “OK good, now next line 14 and 15 year olds,” Ann stepped up along with Mandy and one other girl. “OK great, now 12 and 14 year olds on the next row,” Marley didn’t really have to move and 2 other girls shuffled around him. “OK, now for the 10 and 11 year olds you’ll form the last line,” 5 younger girls that Marley couldn’t help think were too little and cute to be racing formed a line behind him.

“OK great job girls, now some final safety reminders, make sure that you keep in control at all times, ride smart and safe, the course is completely closed to traffic so you can cross the middle line to pass but it would be best if you all stayed on the right if possible in case a car wanders onto the course. There are a few corner marshals out there, follow any instructions they give you. The first mile is neutral, that means no attacks, keep the group rolling as it is, once the lead car waves the star flag then the race is on, good luck and remember to ride safe,” The announcer said.

Marley looked right and left to size up his competition, one was wearing the ubiquitous BikeTech jersey and the other was wearing a Business Solutions team kit, they both were thin and looked serious. A thought suddenly occurred to Marley, what if I can’t beat them, what if I can’t even stay with them. Then he turned the thought around, so what if I do beat them? I’m a guy racing against girls, that’s hardly fair. Of course they do have better bikes then me, and it looks like they have more experience too, so things are probably even, Marley thought.

Marley was roused from his thoughts by the sound of 15 cleats snapping into their pedals. Marley joined the chorus and the group pulled out. The Junior girls would be doing one lap of a the 21 mile course of the Jackson Roubiax. It’s name came from the very famous Paris Roubaix one day race in France which is known for it’s cobblestone sections. The Jackson cobblestones weren’t much like the ones in France, they were brick streets that the race started and finished on in town, but they gave the race character and made it one of the most popular events of the early season.

Marley glanced at his computer, they were going about 16 mph and everyone was on edge. There was so much tension and energy pent up in the group that Marley was reminded of a spring. A race official stuck a big flag out of the moon roof of the lead car and accelerated. “Race is on, pick it up,” Amy yelled from the front line. The pace shot up immediately and Marley had to push hard to hold his position. The next time he checked his computer they were doing 23. It was the closest and fastest Marley had ever ridden and his mind was 100% focused on the wheel in front of him and the girls to his sides.

In no time the brick roads and houses faded away and the peloton was on a smooth country road, Marley’s breath was coming in deep regular intervals, but his mind was so focused on the race he wasn’t even thinking about how hard he was working, he felt like he was flying. The flat land gave way to rolling Southern hills, these were climbs that Marley would normally at least gear down for but in the peloton he felt like he was being sucked up the road, and in a way the he was. He checked his computer, they had gone ten miles, it felt like they’d only been riding for a few minutes not 30.

The pace was starting to take a toll on a few of the riders, positions started to change, one of the girls from the front began to sag back, Marley checked behind and saw that there was still a few of the younger girls behind him and a group that was a few hundred yards back. There seemed to be a bit of lull, and Mandy was talking to his sister Ann. In a few minutes she freewheeled back a bit and a space opened up beside Marley. “Hey girl, how’s it going?” she said, not even breathing that hard.

“Good,” Marley spit out between breaths.

“Great OK, there is a big hill coming up, it’sbigger then these rollers, it’s probably going to cause some problems. Things are really going to light up.,” Mandy explained.

“OK,” Marley said. He thought that might be a great time to attack.

“Whatever you do, don’t attack,” Mandy said. “Just try to hang on as long as possible behind the older riders.
“Allright,” Marley replied. Is this a trick, is she setting us up? Marley thought. They did say they would help us. Throughout the entire day since he’d decided to race with the girls Marley mind was really contemplating how we would go about winning the race without making it look to obvious, after all he was a boy and therefore superior to girls at most things, at least in his mind. For the first time doubt started to enter his mind, Mandy smiled and gave him a thumbs up and pedaled back towards the front.

At mile 14 they turned a corner and a wall loomed before them, well if not a wall, at least a very sharp hill. Marley gulped. To his right the girl with the “Business Solutions” jersey maneuvered behind him and then crossed the line and moved up closer to the front. Marley wanted to join her but decided he would follow Mandy’s advice, plus the hill was freaking him out. There was a sudden change in the group and the sound of several chains clunking as gears were lowered. No one wanted to lead up the hill, well no one but the “Business Solutions” chick, she mashed the pedals and went flying off the front. Amy was on her in an instant, then most of the older girls followed in. The older girls were pulling away, in front of him Mandy joined the separation.

Climbing the hill at race pace reminded Marley of last summer in the wave pool when he thought he was going to drown. He couldn’t get enough oxygen even though he was sucking air like a madman, his lungs burned, his legs burned, and yet he was just hanging on to the riders in front of him. Up the road he could see a rider moving backward from the front, almost completely stopped. The first group crest the hill, and the struggling rider came into view, it was Miss Business Solutions. As the survivors passed her she glanced over at them, almost pleading with her eyes for someone to help her. I guess Mandy was telling the truth, Marley thought. The group around her looked to be struggling just as hard, she would get no help. When they crested and began the other side no one pedaled.

At the bottom of the hill one of the older girls who hadn’t made the breakaway spoke between breaths, “Let’s work together and rotate.” She took the first rotation and Marley found himself behind her, his sister was behind him, and a few other riders filled out the line. He pulled through like his Mom and Sister had practiced trying to stay smooth, it was now an epic struggle to hold 18 mph and no one seemed to be able to really catch their breath.

The next few miles went into a blur. As country roads transitioned to city streets Marley felt the rumbled of bricks underneath his wheels a few times. A few girls seemed to shuck off their turns at the front and then come out of nowhere to pull away. The finishing banner came into view up a small rise, Marley was fighting cramps in his legs and just trying to hang on to the rider in front of him, he didn’t even realized he crossed the finish line in his sister’s draft.

Their mother rushed up to congratulate them, but Marley could hardly comprehend his mother’s words, his breath was still coming in ragged gasps, his sister was no better. He slunk down to the ground. “Marley you all right,” his Mom asked.

“Yeah, just need more air.” Marley replied.

Paul Kimmage was huddled up with his Daughters not far away and they all walked over to join the May family, “Way to go girls,” Paul said.

“I sucked,” Marley replied.

“Whatever, you just finished your first race, you did great, both of you,” he said also tapping Ann on the shoulder. “The results will be posted in about half an hour, but it looks like you guys were just about in the middle of the pack.

“You guys realize that we’ve been doing this for years right,” Amy said.

“Oh, really,” Ann said.

“Sure I didn’t even finish my first race,” Mandy said.

“Lisa your race will be in about an hour, and they’ll call up all the girls’ junior winners a little before then so you guys be sure to be there and get your medals. I hope you guys will hang around for the presentations tonight. We’ve got lots of Swag to give away and I since we three will be doing most of the giving away I can promise you some really sweet stuff if you’re at the presentation,” Paul said with a wink and turned to go, Mandy elbowed him in the side and he turned back around. “Oh one other thing, we’d really like it if you’d join us to go eat after the presentation.”

“Umm, I’m not sure,” Lisa said.

“Think it over, my treat,” Paul said turning to leave.

Ann, and Marley pushed their bikes back towards the van while their Mom followed behind, “Geeze Mom, get your head out of the clouds,” Ann said.

“Huh, what,” Lisa replied.

“Oh my God you’re totally in love with him aren’t you,” Ann said.

“No, but he’s a very nice man, and I think it would be really nice to go eat with him and his girls,” Lisa replied.

“Yeah that’s wonderful Mom but aren’t you forgetting something,” Ann said.

“Umm, what’s that honey?”

“Marley,” Ann yelled.

“What? Oh my…” Lisa said.

Marley turned and looked at them Ann was trying very hard to contain a laugh and his Mom looked mortified, “What’s the…” Marley looked down at the hearts on his chest, he’d been so amped on adrenaline and so blown out by the effort he’d forgotten he was dressed as a girl, “Problem,” he finished.

“Yeah Mom, your new boyfriend thinks you have two daughters,” Ann said with a laugh.

up
226 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Perhaps she does and just

Perhaps she does and just doesn't know it yet. Interesting story and I am looking forward to more to read. Thanks

Great set up.

Valcyte's picture

Totally believable set up and also very difficult for Marley to escape, at least once he bought into the initial premise. Marley's participation in the race brought the everything into focus. So far his family has failed to recognize any of the implications of the days events, (until the last paragraph). Oops.

I am loving your story.

Val

Congrats to Marley for doing

Congrats to Marley for doing well in the race but I hope he isn't pushed aside in favor of his mother's "daughter" just so she can fulfill a years old crush.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Racing and

Podracer's picture

..awkwardness. Yes, I can read any amount of this that you can write for us. Wish I'd been introduced to the toeclipped pedals when I was a sprog.

"Reach for the sun."

Pedal Clips

Years ago, I bought a bike that came with "Toe Cages", and in attempting to learn to use them, fell off the bike and dislocated my right pinky finger, leaving it projecting from my hand at a right angle. It hurt too much to just leave that way, so grasping it, I pulled and then moved it back to where I thought it should be, though it did not hurt less. I used a plastic spoon and scotch tape to splint it. Later at the hospital, the doctor congradulated me on my fracture reduction technique, and replaced the spoon with a proper splint. It still hurts me at times.

I was doing this ride once in

I was doing this ride once in Kansas I think, I don't remember, it was a week long tour. I had switched from SPD to SPD-R pedals because they were more racey. SPD-R pedals were only made a few years because they were horrible and jammed up very often. I was rolling up to a sag stop with about 50 people standing around all seemingly watching me. I couldn't unclip and fell over. This happened several more times throughout the week to my great embarrassment.

Not actually my sort of story

But, it is written so well that I will likely follow it.

Thank you

Gwen

thank you so much.

thank you so much.

Tangled web

Jamie Lee's picture

Oh what a tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive.

I still don't agree with what mom and Ann did to get Marley into the girls race. Because it's against the rules, Marley should have sat out the race.

However, he's passed so far and is now in a pickle. Paul has seen two daughters, and if they're going to dinner with him Marley will have to continue as his moms' daughter.

Since Marley has been never been dressed as a young girl while out to dinner, will he have it within himself to continue portraying a young girl? And will he accept the clothing mom and Ann are likely to have him wear? Or the change of makeup?

And could all of this actually be the trigger which makes him realize he likes/wants dressing this way? Perhaps Ann will get the sister she's been wanting.

And what will mom be getting?

Others have feelings too.