Gene's Story or How I Gained a Cousin Chapter 7

Printer-friendly version
"Ellen and Jinny.jpg
Gene's Story
or How I Gained a Cousin

A novel by Karen Lockhart


Copyright 2016
 



It's funny how things happen to change your life and the way you look at things



CHAPTER 7

Ginny took a quick look out the front window, “Oh shit, it's him, it's Morales,” she wailed.

“Get to the sink, and relax. I'll handle this no matter what they want,” I said. “Just act interested in the dishes.”

No sooner did I finish speaking, than the door bell rang. Wiping my sweaty palms on my jeans, I opened the door. “Can I help you?” I asked the two large men who were crowding the front steps.

“You Ellen Hanson?” I nodded yes, “Boston Police,we need to ask you a few questions.”

I took a breath, “May I see some ID?” The older of the two took out a leather wallet and flipped it open showing a gold badge.

“I'm Sargent Spanos, and this is Detective Maroney, may we come in?” I opened the door fully, and waved them in.

“What's this about?” I asked. Spanos ignored me asking “Who's that at the sink?”

Ginny turned and faced us, “I'm her cousin from Falmouth.”

“I asked what this is about,” I said again. “If I don't get an answer fast, I'm dialing 911. Then you can tell me and the Swampscott cops just what you want.”

“We're looking for a guy named Gene Thomas, seen him?” This again from Spanos.

I thought for a moment, “Who's Gene Thomas?”

“He's a truck driver,” answered Spanos. “As a matter of fact, it was his truck abandoned at your construction site on Friday. He drives for MacDonald Trucking.”

I shrugged, “Look, I'm the Resident Engineer on that job, I don't deal with truck drivers, that's the job of my foreman. You should talk to him. Do you want his phone number?”

Detective Maroney answered, “We just came from his place, he sent us here.”

'Well,' I thought, 'he does speak.'

“Can't help you gentlemen, what do I do if he shows up?”

Spanos handed me his card, “Give me a call, anytime, I'll answer.”

Maroney walked over to my “cousin”, and started to quietly talk to her. They must have heared my heart pounding it was so loud. I was ready to faint.

“Hey, kid, stop chatting up the chick, and get into the car,” shouted Sergent Spanos.

I closed and locked the door and ran into the bathroom, just making it. When I came back out, I looked at Ginny, and swore. “What are you smiling at?”

“He wanted my phone number,” she smirked, “I told him I don't date Catholics. He said he'd be Jewish if I would go out with him.” With that, we both lost it, sitting on the sofa roaring with laughter until we cried.

“Damn,” Ginny said “I just peed myself.”

“Welcome to womanhood,” I gasped, laughing even harder.

Once we calmed down, and caught our breath, I sobered up quickly and asked Ginny if she thought they were Boston cops doing their job. “I don't think so; there was a third man in the back seat of the cruiser, it looked like Morales.”

“What does this Morales look like?”

Ginny shuddered, “You saw him, he's the one who came into the office looking for me Friday afternoon, a real ape.”

I looked at the clock, “Crap, I have a riding lesson in Newbury in a hour. I have to get changed,you too, you're coming.”

I quickly changed into riding pants and tall boots, grabbed a jacket and jumped into the Explorer. Ginny was already sitting in the passenger seat, wearing loose jeans and a polar fleece of mine; somehow it looked better on her then on me.

To be continued

Many thanks to Bronwen for fixing typos and puncuation

up
234 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well, so far it looks like

Well, so far it looks like Ginny's "make over" seems to be holding up. Hopefully this Morales character won't be able to figure her out and just stay away from the two of them.

dirty cops

Would love to have seen the dirty Boston cops try to explain to the Swampscott cops why they were searching for someone by themselves 15 miles outside the city limits without informing the local department nor having any backup ;)

I guess they only have a name, no picture of Gene. Good, Ginny might be a little safer now that they are operating blindly.I just hope it lasts.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

good

Patti Su's picture

Good, good! You keep the reader wanting more.

Even Showing A Badge

joannebarbarella's picture

Does not enable entry to premises. While owners/occupiers often allow police to come in, there is no legal reason to allow it. In fact, a search warrant is officially required. When the enquiry is legitimate there is no problem, but if there is corruption involved, well....

Confusing for a Brit

Rhona McCloud's picture

All those English place names do throw me as my subconcious puts them on a map of my England rather than New England.

Rhona McCloud

Confusing

Imagine how Lord Cornwallis felt. That is why we are called New England. Then we toss in Indian names!
As a Yank, 'Venus' confuses me also.

Karen

Gets the paddles

Jamie Lee's picture

Whoa, this chapter is a heart stopper.

For Gene to be in plain sight, Ginny must be quite a looker.

Others have feelings too.