Don’t Blame Me I’m A Martian-35

Printer-friendly version

Don’t Blame Me I’m A Martian-35

Chapter 35

*Before…

The GPS says we’re near a place called Ruby Valley, Nevada.
I look over at my Tuan, my beloved. “Where are we going now?”
“West…we head for California and then.”
“Then we look for Dylan?”
Serra looks at me. “First we get lost and then a safe house, and then we have to tell the other’s what’s going on.”
“And Dylan?...” I look out the window as we’re driving. “If they’re going to change then they’ll be going through it soon.”
Serra nods. “We’ll check, one of the hidden elders might have clues.”
I nod and bite my lip.
There’s so much to be scared for and of and right now I just really, really want to get my family back together and get home.

*And Now…

I’ve never been too familiar with the world so much outside of home. I’m a Shu’an so there’s a whole lot of the humans that either take me for a woman and in a whole lot of ways that’s true but at the same time sometimes things happen and people get too close and it’s me getting mistaken for being a trans person.

And that of course has a lot of mixed results depending on what part of the world that we ended up finding ourselves in.

And well it’s been a long time since I was outside where I could see things and feel the sunshine on my skin and the fresh air too.

Serra’s driving pretty fast and I’m hoping that we avoid police and state troopers and whatever else is out here now. But there’s little I can do or literally waste energy worrying about when what will happen will happen and I can’t control any of it.

It takes too much energy too to do that and I’m trying to rebuild power that I’ve lost. Not just from today and everything that happened but from all of it. I feel stretched thin. Too thin for me to do things right or even feel the way that I usually do.

But the driving helps, rolling down the window helps a lot too and for the first time in too many years I slide my arm out the window and just let the air flow over it some as I listen to the radio.

Some of it’s not that bad actually…though I’ve never heard of half of these singers.

Actually that’s nothing new. Serra and I have lived in all sorts of different places and countries since we left home and started our work and when we usually get to a place we really are green there and that’s actually a good disguise too since being the outsider is pretty obvious so struggling with new things is actually pretty socially keyed in.

And we do learn fast but when you’re in a hard place there’s nothing as suspicious as knowing things right off the get go.

We’re making good time and we stop every now and then to switch out vehicles. Serra is good at stealing them using her abilities and things but she knows what cars she can get to and sometimes stealing a car is a matter of getting one going that’s not going to be missed.

Like at a used car lot.

We pick one that’s closed and Serra slips in once they know where the cameras are and she finds the power box and surges the system. Not one of the things that I can do but it’s kind of like she coaxes the electricity to do things.

We get a car that’s in the back part of the lot, usually one of the trade ins to be worked on and then she boosts it and we’re off.

Food, money is even easier to get sort of and that’s on me.

People are easier to distract than technology so its gas stations with the little stores attached and me with my breasts hiked up into full large bounce and sway and using my looks. And I get them of course but then it’s a little push to that attention, a push to the feelings they have and the wants while Serra does a little enhanced reflex shoplifting and/or picking pockets.

And while I’m being noteworthy I’m not at the same time. Push hard enough on my assets and that’s all they really remember.

‘She was a blonde, no a brunette, no a strawberry blonde…but I remember her rack goooollee those tiddies did bounce ossifer.’

Also people only review their tapes for the security camera once they catch you or really suspect you of doing something. And they actually might but by the time they do and call the cops and look at things we’re long, long gone from there.

We do that three times in two days with Serra barely sleeping and living off of sugar and energy drinks and coffee and protein. She eats protein when she’s tired and it’s stuff that just makes my stomach take a dive as it’s usually the worst kind of stuff and just loaded with grease too.

She’ll eat as I drive and she’ll catnap.

I actually pull over at a truck stop and in with the staff cars since it’s easier to blend in and this is one of those truck stops with the fast food joint stalls in it and all sorts of other stuff that wasn’t really around before we were caught and captured.

I know it was a decade in there and who really knows how long we were bounced around either.

Dylan must be fifteen by now at least.

I turn on the heater and drift into a little half nap for a while and listen to the radio and this time it’s local so I can hopefully catch some of the news and not just about us but just well everything really.

I missed so much; it’s all changed so much.

Except for a lot of the bad things.

Men are still hating each other, they’re fighting, warring, killing over race and faiths and an endless sinkhole of greed coming from those in power and those willing to support that power for their own ends.

Most are puppets, just self-interested rich folks that just want more and with successive generations they’re just getting worse.

Like a lot of the right wing folks.

Sigh…sometimes being who I am and what I am I’m just so tired, so tired of humans and the fact that they seem to be going exactly as our people had done so very long ago.

I want to go home.

I miss home, the mountains, the jungle rainforest, and the peace there.

We’re high up in the Andes and people mostly think that it’s just one of the glaciers and that there’s nothing really there and well we’re far enough up and out of the way that we don’t get visitors, the locals and the natives have had enough exposure to us being there that there’s a sort of hefty spiritual reason not to bother those of us that live in the Baktun.

They thought we lived in one of the Mayan heavens and we didn’t correct that either and now a bare handful of shamans know of us at all there.

It was such a good place, such a nice place to live…so unlike here.

Not that it’s all bad here, it’s not there’s horrible things going on here but the people. The ones that are good and caring and kind and brave.

They’re worth saving.

I wake up when Serra does and she’s sitting up and she’s looking out our window and I’m trying to see what’s going on out there and I see a girl that looks like she’s a truck stop prostitute and she looks like she’s in trouble from two large guys that have her cornered and looking like they want to get her into their transport truck.

I look at her and Serra is looking like she’s riding the fence on helping or having us stay under the radar.

I give her a look, a long look and she nods. “Get the engine going we’re leaving, I won’t be long.”

“Be careful, they might be armed.”

She kisses me. “One knife and the other has a handgun.”

Then she’s out and she’s walking towards them and I can feel her building her power for the fight and channeling it through her nerves and muscles.

I start the engine and pull out of the parking spot and watch things as they unfold.

up
151 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

They're Back

terrynaut's picture

Patience is supposed to be a virtue, but for me it's an OCD rollercoaster ride of hope and disappointment. I'm so happy to see another chapter of this story. I never stop waiting for another one. I can't help myself. It's that good.

I've forgotten much of this story. It's been too long. And I don't have time to go back and read the chapters again. I might skim the previous chapter. It doesn't matter though. I can appreciate each chapter as a stand-alone story. Nice.

Thanks and kudos (number 2).

- Terry

Marvellous

Podracer's picture

Thanks Bailey. I had to recap 34 as a run-up to this one though.
Watch yer back, Serra, I know you're competent, but not infallible. What are you betting that in 36 there will be 3 people in the car?

"Reach for the sun."

I love this story

Please don't let so much time go by before we get another chapter.

nomad

Nice ti see

More of this. A slow building chapter. Thanks

Deeply meaningful

It has been some time since I have been able to be here and just enjoy all of the creativity people demonstrate. This is my all around favorite so I am very happy to see the story being added to.

Some people may see this as being a dark story, but I see it as being real in both its foundation and the very substance of its fabric.. It is a scary world out there, and so many people are trying there best to make it worse, just because they are too lazy to do any thing else. But that is my out look, and I am a bit odd, compared to what our society considers normal. I would rather serve in Heaven, than rule in Hell. Call me crazy, or stupid ,it is just my truth, and I am sticking to it. Thanks for another great chapter, to a great story.

Huggles

Michele

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

So happy!

I am so happy to see this this story take back off and continue. Please don't wait so long for the next update :)

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Justas great the 2nd time

This chapter is where I finished last reading. Still a great, Great, GREAT story!!
Thanks
a

alissa