Haven's Salvation Stave 2 Phantom Queens Gambit 14-2 You are here

Printer-friendly version


HAVEN'S SALVATION STAVE 2 PHANTOMS QUEENS GAMBIT - 14-2



You Are Here


Celtic_Animal_Ornament_0.png

MORRIGAN.jpg
Creative Consultancy by Bailey Summers, and my two girls Anna and Crystal
Dedicated to

Ms Mary Adelaide Wilkinson
my mother who dragged me all over the back roads of Colorado bringing those historical souls back to life

.
My two deceased friends Stewart Hills and Karlen Ann Wannop who watch over me from the other side of the veil, all three of us labored in each others behalf and became better for it.
With out all of the efforts from the above this story would never seen the light of an audience

Before

Betty

I was looking over my bullet Journal when someone came into the Dragon and asked in a distantly familiar, clipped voice, that took a moment or two to be remembered. My problem with that is that voice was from an theater character I played in a collage drama project. When I looked up I was startled to see a very real living person ,who looked and sounded just like that fictitious creation. I was staring at a flesh, and blood doppelganger of my version of a comical, outrageous, unflappable, character Erma Cats. She was here in the flesh, confusing the shit out of me as to where she got her's,because I am inhabiting mine right now.

Erma Cats

I am to be a surprise for Betty and judging from the look on her face I have succeeded beyond anyone’s expectation. I am literally the last thing on earth Betty would ever conjure up in her mind to find looking back at her here and now.

Now.


Salutations

Erma

Betty's owl eyes looked me up, and, down before continuing, “ Pardon me for being a little slack jawed women but it has been over forty years, since I have laid eyes on that face, and then I was wearing a lot of theater makeup to create it, now somehow I am looking at someone else who has that same face, so what gives, who are you, and what are you.?”.

I decided this would be better sitting down, taking the seat opposite in her booth.

“Hi Betty, miss me, it is so nice to see you again, all grown up with children, goodness gracious you sure got busy. Who am I, and what am I, are two different questions. Who am I is Erma Cats, the former executive sectary to Sir Winston Churchill. What I am first, is the answer to your prayers, for help, in handling the essential but burdensome mundane chores of township business. And second ,What I physically am, is the muse that first sparked Ginger to create me as a character to entertain those lonely men far from home. at the USO clubs during WW2. I am the same muse you kept alive doing your collage radio and stage plays, now given substance.”

An appraising hardness came over Betty's eyes as she pointed at me with her fork. “To be bluntly honestly, what evidence or proof can you give me to who you claim to be, Erma was a totally fictitious person , The real Secretary I believe it was a women who's last name was Mell ,or Snell I haven't a clue what her first name was.”

“During the war years, that would have Been Elizabeth Nel. I met her once with Ginger at a reception for Ginger's book about him. Ms Nel was quite a person full of praise for the man she served, but you knew that as you to were there.”

“ Don't be obtuse, and keep to the subject at hand.”

"Ok here is something no one would have known but you and Ginger, It was the 1972 at the
Edinburgh Highland Games, Ginger was singing Juice Newtons song Queen of Hearts in Gaelic. You were front row center because you had fallen asleep during the story telling
performance. You woke up to her first performance,, with a startle.”

“Ok Good god, yes she was singing in the Gaelic singing contest, I never laugh so hard. Then the Queen of the festival inquired “ My Maiden fair When-st ye came by your mirth and wisdom .”

I continued “ My Majesty my mirth, and wisdom wast born, long ago when I lost my maiden's virtue, to a very hansom young sailor man. He claim he was in possessed of a true ship of the line, but alas in truth, he only possessed a wee leaky row boat, which sunk liken the Mary Rose, at but my mere giggle,”

Now Betty's eyes were smiling “Ok I give. No one but us would remember that. In memory of Ginger even that stodgy Maiden Queen couldn't keep a straight face at that answer. And for some unknown reason , Ginger pointed me out as being the child of that union, Erma do you know why did she claim to be my mother.”

“Oh that's easy, when she met you in Edinburgh you were a babe out of the woods having just started collage. You were so idealistic but also so hardened by your young life. You truly lacked any sense of humor, and hadn't a clue how to let go and joke around a bit. Ginger was 77 at that time, and wanted an apprentices she could trust and spend some time with while she was still sharp. Ginger was never a 'willy nilly' sort of person, and wanted for some one to carry the torch of her hard won wisdom, and humor.

I, as her muse, was to be the vehicle to do just that.. Part of me is her imagination melted together with memories of people her mother, and Ginger knew from there home town in Vermont. Added to that, the seasoning gained by knowing all of those characters working in Vaudeville circuit, and those later who worked at the Saturday Evening Post in the 1930s when she lived in Philadelphia.

Both of us had been watching you, during the first two days, of the festival, finding that your energy and dynamic was very compatible with us. Then when you played along with the skit, both of us knew you had to be the one. . Ginger could tell you really needed to develop your sense of humor, by learning how to laugh at life, and your self, so you could become open enough to love. Therefor we decided to pass the torch to you, and we wanted you, and you needed us.”

Betty had a musing look on her face as she pondered what I just revealed to her. Then she started to chuckle at some personal joke,

“I wondered just how I could come up with your sister Elma's outrageous comments like the joke about the prostitute telling the Pope 'You no play the game, you no make the rules.' Time wise I really don't remember exactly when I found my sense of humor it was near that time, I do remember I had to fill an elective the only thing left was the drama class, that's when I started making friends and became able to find my passion for living, and not just slogging through.”

“Oh my Betty you were so serious at the beginning at your school, Then everyone thought you would make a fine, judge or some stiff shirt bureaucrat. Not what you have become, a hero of a lost village that you have saved from certain death. They never knew you were the person performing me, it's still unknown to this day.”

“Your such a gift Erma, but what do you get out of this, what have I given you ,whats your pay out.”

“You gave me sustenance through your goofy uncle, pieces of your experiences, and imagination. With your help I was able to finally grew into a complete personality not just a simple muse, who lived past the time muses fade back into nothingness, and are forgotten. You had a rare opportunity, in school, to stretch out your wings and express your inner wise ass, the cheeky,snarky bits who asks the questions people need to ask but don't.

Like when during the zoning board hearing in Marysville PA , just after the owner of the new Mega Super Mart told the zoning board how he felt close to small towns, and wanted to be an infest-or rather than investor. You jumped in asked the owner why people should welcome an business killing infestation, that would leave thousands of people unemployed.

Betty I would show up many times when you least expected me. Things like that kept me alive long enough to survive until we got here to this magical place. Somehow I found my self a welcomed stranger, I was embraced by the other spirits who have passed, who fleshed me out, by combined me with bits and pieces of there desires to help the town, then I was fired in the oven of your desperate needs, powered by your prayers, with a pinch of fear, that you couldn't do this mammoth job without a PA's support, to make this job work.”

“Erma I do desperately need a PA, but how can you a spirit file, type and research. “

“Because of the gift this wonderful environment has given me, the other side, pulled together what ever they could, to give me enough physical form to do the work as needed. “ With that I gave Betty's hand a squeeze not only out of affection, but also a way to demonstrating that I can touch, the physical world. “You have a huge cheering section over there Betty.”

“ Well then Erma my fine women let us go and introduce you to the other person you will need t o work with, who is our fine Mayor Louise .

“Great I have been wanting to meet her since you have gotten here, I can see through you, that she is quite a gal, and someone I know that I can work with. But first I want to have a taste of your cooks magic, that will be a first for me. “


09:00 hours

James

As I be departing Haven for me little get together with Hazard, I happened to look into the front window of the Dragon to spy Betty, some what at a loss for words, she was talking to the newest member of our merry band. Morgana had some hand in there recruitment so it had to have some oddness beyond all belief, knowing my friend as me do. There is so much about Morgana I can not fathom, and she has such the way aboot her, that even to me is scary strange. That is saying quite a bit, coming from a really a big wolf who wears britches.

For now me mind needs to focus on first things first. I be needing to be going, out in the bush far from any where people are normally be found, Hazard has set up Sam's boss at, and in a recently played out abandoned deep rock mining claim that has proper security for construction explosives, and the space necessary to get this power line constructed. Hazard dredged up a couple of surplus Russian Mi-26 heavy cargo choppers, with aircrews, parts and pilot's. These Choppers have enough horses to lift fully assembled towers, and to handle resupply. Leave it to Hazard to find a spot that is totally inhospitable, where you need a chopper to even reach it, only a former Marine would have such a finely honed skill in finding such a place.

Making me way to the new camp required that I take the scenic route rather than just pop in, as I discovered that Havoc's men tend to shoot before they ID their target. I was fine with the twenty mile stroll making me happy to stretch me leg's having a run through still oddly familiar landscapes. The last ten years hast nay changed this land appreciably. Ann would still recognized this remote stretch of mountains, by the things we people who are rooted in the land pay heed to. The watering holes , game trails, creeks, glades along with the man made physical marks like old placer mine tailing's, remains of log bridges and the power lines., When Havens power station was scraped, the new company slapped together this work around, out of left over bits and pieces, cutting Haven out of the system. This spot was one of the most difficult to construct due to its remoteness, so when I found three sets of shod hoof prints that smelled like whiskey, and store bought cigarettes. I snooted around a bit more then found the faintest whiff of nitrated ammonia, and diesel oil.

All that told me I needed to inform Havoc that he has problems in his new back yard. And that he be needing to personally get his wee hands dirty, weeding out this problem, sooner would be better than later!


Walk around

Betty

I introduced Erma to Louise as an old school mate who wanted to join our St Jude team, Louise told me to go and do my walk around town. “Bets I can settle Erma in, it is your turn for the town walk around, your adoring public awaits.”

Erma grinned evilly “ Who would have guessed that behind that wall flower I knew in school, . lurked a super hero who forgets to wear her union regulation cape, I sure never saw this coming.”

Before they could get my range for another round of rib poking I slipped down to my office out of range while listening to the story telling starting behind me. All the while in my mind I could hear the costumer for the supers saying “no capes no capes”. I brewed my self a walking -travel mug of Heavenly 'Denny Hill Regrade' blend coffee. Grabbing my shoulder bag with my Township managers kit and fresh couple of Washington state Fuji apples, and I was ready, so like the wall flower I have always been, I slipped out the lower door undetected.

Since the first week I was living in Haven I started leisurely strolling around the town, checking out the place. My main focus was getting to know the place and talk to the people living here. Then I soon started to notice blocked drains, dark street lights, pot holes and the likes. I also was told about several creeks that came in the east end of town, three passed through buried culverts of brick built long ago when Haven was young, they were suppose to depart from the western edge of town. Two were backed up into ponds that would flood the roads during the winter rain, one entered never to be seen again begging the question where did it go. All three did have outlets two needing only maintenance to get them to flow again, the third outlet just stayed dry. That was one of my higher priorities to resolve, not wanting any portion of our town to suddenly disappear into a sink hole.

I also learned to always stop to read the township bulletin board. Here is where people would pin up announcements, offer items for sale, trade, or for free, also asking help with one thing or other. That board told me so much about the character of this township, and where I could join in to the society social structure here.

My children got into the spirit as well, Anna got a few babysitting jobs, and a gig repainting the township motto sign. Crystal joined the local bicycle club called the Wheelies, and also hangs out with kids in wheelchairs through her both groups got together under the Wheelies Banner and now both groups help the township or find and fix access problems in the township. As a reward Louise granted the Wheelies and Crystal a small space in the unused police car garage where she helps service the twenty five or so chair driver's and the sixty bicycle gang.

One of the farmers stops by on Saturday working on a special project Crystal uncovered on the internet for an all Terran wheel chair, that uses a set of handles the driver moves back and forwards to propel them selves. There has been two prototypes built trying to get things to work right.

My gig has been spotting structural problems with our elders housing stock, Last week Mrs Streeter needed to have seven shingles replaced where a tree branch hit her roof back during the last windstorm. Mr Gardener needed a wheel chair ramp for his bigger power chair. Mrs Kent has some major problems with the old foundation to her house that was able to be stabilized until warmer dryer weather. I think she may be straddled over the west branch of the east creek which goes in the east top edge of town the one that gets lost and doesn't find it's way out.

Several houses are receiving weatherizing up grades courtesy of the donations Haven was recently been gifted with. All of these projects and some new ones have been captured on my tablet and will be posted on out private township Internet board. I personally comment on each project completed and extend my gratitude to those who made these things possible. My desire is to let people know that I am involved and care about them and that someone in the township office is on there side.


Breath

Betty

I had been growing slowly uncomfortable this morning. but when a great weariness overcame me matched by a suffocating shortness of breath. I knew immediately I had to get out of town now. As I topped the first ridge going out of town ,tTo my right came Alease's familiar Scottish accent

“Betty rather than being a powerful and prepared witch, I needs be tellen, that ye have the appearance liken to, Grim Reaper scat. Me sister I nay can cipher how ye can dream to survive, this coming battle upon us, if Ye be hardly breathing now, must I be teaching ye how to do that as well.? “

“And a pleasant good afternoon to you to Alease. I can guarantee you that the air still runs in and out these two holes that's in my face, so I got that one covered, I have been doing this for some time with out fail.”

“Dearest Betty, there is more than just the wind willing its self up and down ye nose, to ye breathing. A vast amount of elimination of the toxins from tension worry and stress, be leaving by that doorway as well. I have already let Erma know that ye will be needing to be alone, so to prepare for a special project over the next seven days. So get ye pack we are going for a little walk up into the hills, This time ye must not trust blind luck, and raw power to survive what ye will be hit with. Make no mistake aboot this my sister , Come all Hallows Eve, ye are at war, not a skirmish, or probing. Ye are needing to get into there faces, stomp them down, then lop off their head. Ye must act like this could be ye last act on earth, fail in doing that, it shall so be.”

“Alease I do appreciate that news flash, but I have already sussed that out! So do you have some real news, or useful information, I would appreciate that you would share that now, and keep your snarky attitude, to your self. If not I will be going to prepare, elsewhere.”

Alease broke out with a full out non lady like loud laugh at my change in manner.” I do see ye have been practicing how to rapidly shift ye footing, I truly like that sister. But save your fire for the real fight, I just needed to put before ye in plain language that your opponents want to rip ye giblets out.”

“ What you think like, I am going to plant a big wet kiss on them , hold hands and sing campfire songs. That's NOT going to happen. I know that there is a total of seven days,I have two to prep for the full of the moon, three days of working the same going crazy, trying to play dead, while not becoming so. I get maybe a days break maybe with skirmishes. On Samhain, I have a stick in their eye so they don't see the surprised of my raising the barrier into its proper position forcing them to confront a balanced fully functional barrier.”

“What if they nay be surprised.”

“Oh there is no way they could see this coming. If I am anything I am totally out of the box with
what is coming there way. Those folks only advantage is the I do not know where there Nexis is located, and collectively they pack a lot of raw power. These dark unseen have little or no finesse, let alone any true understanding of craft, they are just bullets in a gun to the Untouchables that are in charge. The those folks are such control freaks so they won't let their casters learn that much . My plan's are to give them no way to stop or dodge the train, I am going to run down the barrel of there gun, I have been preparing for this over the last month, and all is ready.“

“That is an overcooked opinion of ye self. Your power will only go so far, how be ye thinking
to pull this off. Ye be one against how many. “

“ I don't need to fight them all I have to only find the Nexis, a device, or a person. That is there lens that aims the power of the group, I then and drop my hand crafted personal sized hurricane on them. In all of Maggie days, she has found only one witch able to cast from inside of, or through a hurricane, I seriously doubt any of their cannon fodder, unskilled casters can.”

“ Who was that Betty, Merlin or some other ancient myth, or a being with super powers?”

“No just an idiot savant who was never told, and who didn't know,that it couldn't be done. Me.”

“ Sister when did ye do this and where.?”

“ It was graduation I had spent every pound and penny I could find, planning and preparing a party for my classmates when A nasty bit of spoiled rotten work, from Brandenburg, Using her fathers pull canceled, my non refundable reservations, then told my guests I had left town having scammed them. She ruining their graduation celebration but then took her friends on her Daddy's 200 foot floating play toy, for a trip around the bay, I got to the coast on a friends borrowed BMW cycle in time to see line of sight where they were. My rage taped into some local unstable north sea weather and created an unseasonable nasty storm which followed them around the Irish Sea like a puppy dog, and the center of the storm rotated around them. After several hours even the crew took sea sick, so by Daddy's orders, they put back in frazzled and totally exhausted. The Brandenburg bitch came back to port cold, and wet. To be greeted, at the docks, by my friends who discovered her scam. Her reception was so toasty she was no longer cold, or wet. Goddess Maggie really chewed my ass out about that stunt, I was misusing my powers, and teachings, harmed innocent people, and I could have exposed our people to the public.”

Alease had a puzzled look as if I had suddenly gone totally stupid.”Betty I nay know how to prepare you for this shock, but there is nay that type weather which occurs here. How or where do ye intend to carry out such a stunt.?”

“Well Partner, I be reckoning if Pecos Bill can lasso a tornado, I should be able to one up him, by lassoing a small hurricane, or just the pieces of one.”

“ Betty that is a myth one of ye Yankees tall tails, it's Blarney.”

“Alease did it ever occur to you that I know a few things ye do not. Like that I mix modern understandings with my crafting, you see I am an amateur weather observer. So I know from the satellite weather picture that we are presently balanced on the edge of seasonal weather
changes from summer to fall.. Now the warmer southern summer system is balance with the colder north fall system. Both competing weather patterns are parked , by some means, I will not tell, right off the coast of this state. I have been able to fineness two tendril eddy's, one from the cold one from the warm patterns, holding them on there respective side of the Olympic mountains . On the day before Samhain I will portion them out then attract what I want into a convergence center roughly targeted around here. On Samhain I narrow down the circulation until I find the nexus point of these bastards, dropping the combined force of
these tendrils on top of what ever artifact or person that's at the source of this. Uncombined they are just a bit of nasty weather hurting no one. Combined, they become Molnar, Thor's hammer, Let them try to cast through that. because I can“

“Betty this is a side of ye I never knew about even as close as we are. Ye have a bit of Psychotic maliciousness a running through ye.“

'You haven't seen Psychotic yet. Sister, I am a mother, these are my family, and friends in the cross hairs. and now, I have the ways, and means to protect them. Any way 'It's the old Hair of the dog trick agent 99', from my last months battle with them.”

“ What the helheim are ye going on about?.”

Before she even finished talking, I was laughing too hard to answer her. 1960s sit com humor would just be too oblique for Alease. And by the time I explained it wouldn't be funny any longer. Worse yet I would remove all doubt, that I am crazy. So to my self only, I sung

“ Maybe she's right I might be crazy, but it may be a lunatic, 'the Morgana' ,is look for.”

“So Alease I do understand, that come all Hallows Eve, I am going to full out war, this is not a skirmish, or probing distraction action, I am going to get into there faces, stomp them down, and if they persist I then will lop off their head. I know I must act like this COULD BE my last act on earth, if I fail it will be. If so bury my remains in my white buckskins with my Pipe and tomahawk.

I may be known as peace maker, but if they bring me war, I will give it back to them, I want them to smell there own blood, that up close and personnel. Win Louse or Draw they are going to know they have tangled with something as bad ass and determined as they are.“ .


13:00 hours

Hazard

I was talking to a couple of native volunteers who are members of the Local Iron Men search and rescue team, when a white rock the size of my head came sailing through the air landing short rolling up to me. On it written in black marker was 'Hi I be here.' John Crow Dog took one look at it exclaiming “

“ You got that mangy wolf Mc James working for you now, have heard he is in town.”

“Yep that's his calling card all right, why cant he use a radio like any one else?” Thumbing my microphone button I signaled our sentry to let him in, and escort him to me. I also called Sam to keep an eye on her team mate.


Poke me with a fork

.

Betty

After I caught my breath I was fine so I told Alease that I had to just finished up a few things in town before settling down to work. Eating an early dinner before the kids got out of school. Erma had joined me and was studying me closely which I found very annoying.

“Take a picture it would last longer, and would be less annoying.”

“Well Betz I was just looking to see if I could tell how well done you are without poking you with a fork.”

“Oh I would find that a lot more annoying, and to answer your question Yes when I am done with my dinner I am retreating to the cave to start my preparation work, I need to have Louise gather my kids to watch them tonight,”

“Got a better idea, let me watch them they would not likely know its not you, and I need to get to know them,”

“Do it as your self Erma, those kids are sharp, better to hide what you are, by just being your personality, get to know them as well as you know me, before you try to imitate me, never underestimate those kids, remember they are talented as well, making them even harder to get over on them.”

“You seam to be a little sharp this afternoon Betz, are you ok?”

“Just adjusting to my new reality Erma, having to be the custodian of all of this power is uncomfortable for me. I am having to learn an entirely new way of being, and living. none of it convenient, or , for now, fully understandable.”

“You sound like you're having control issues Betz. Remember you also need to embrace the unexpected, to take what is happening in, along with your plans. Dynamically adjusting along the way, is the real secret weapon you have against the Untouchables, They only play on a flat prepared floor, and by a ridged set of plans. You can go off road, and play it by ear allowing you to dance around any set blockade.”

“I know your right Erma, it's just hard right now, sorry for being short tempered and cranky,”

“Any second thoughts about this new and improved you?”

“Not really it is just adjusting to, and accepting that I have a rare chance to make a big difference in a lot of peoples lives, something I always wanted to be able to do. It's just that when you get to see your dreams suddenly shoved under your nose their size and complexity can really scare the shit out of you. Up until now everything has been stuff I am familiar with and have done before. Now this is a totally playground. Like being moving from the little kids sandbox into the older kids play area, There is no fence, I am no longer the biggest kid in the place, I am just little me, in a big world. And the kids playing here are really intimidating.”

“Betz always remember before you got here, that you have had twenty six previous lives on
this little ball of spinning dirt. All of that experience, and wisdom is there within you, just call on it and you will find the answers you are looking for. I am just here to remind you, what other resource that are here, so get your thermos of coffee from Marge and get to work you're burning starlight.”


13:10 hours

Sam

When I got the call to come and escort James to the briefing room I was surprised to see a familiar face I haven't seen since they shipped out of Afghanistan, before me. Buford Block was my heavy weapons officer for our forward recon group. He was the one who sent that cryptic message 'wish you were here,'. We greeted each other warmly with his saluting me calling me Lieutenant. Havoc was a bit surprised until Blocks explained to him I had been his CO in Afghanistan. Blocks then greeted James with a firm hand shake thanking him for saving his life a few years back during a out of country intelligence operation that had went south. James remembered him and exchanged pleasantries. Then we were off with Blocks tagging along just long enough to tell me a bit of interesting information about James.

“Sam James is a good man but there are things about him that you should know so you don't get freaked out if something happens.”

“Blocks did I ever get freaked out the entire time you worked with me, why now.?”

“Sorry Lieutenant this may be a bit forward of me, but Havoc knows the two of you are very close its why he picked the two of you for this operation. I also know your partial to wolves, Mc James is more wolf that you suspect if you know what I mean, he is one of a group we call the Unseen, and they are really out there different than us. Mc James is a great guy he saved our entire squad but he changed into something I cant even describe. Just be careful out there Lieutenant.”

“Thanks Blocks, don't say a word of this to any one, and thanks for having my back.”

“Your welcome and thanks Lieutenant, now go break a leg.”

This hung in the back of my mind through the entire briefing, like an annoying piece of food caught in my back tooth. I had to keep first things first so I just filed it away and payed attention to the pretty toys we had to play with on this operations.

Hazard

“Ok folks this is the skinny, our friends, and allies Homeland security ,ATF and the likes need to have actionable intelligence showing that there is a high possibility the C4 is there where Sam and Mc James traced to.. WE are sending those two in to find out what the location is really like, and how best to approach it. Our intelligence is worthless, as there has been nothing recorded about the place since 1972. We are going to provide the investigation team with a set of disposable small drones to skulk around finding out what can be found. These also can attache them to any active radio tower, and they can recharge inductively from the broadcast energy. The drone will record information until we recall them at a later date. “

“So Hazard me mate, do we go and knock on the front door, and ask for a cup of C4, or does the company have a explosive sniffing rat on the payroll.”

“Mc James our inside operative would only slightly chafe calling him a rat, but he will somehow get to you a sample of any explosives that are there.

The biggest most important thing is to not get caught, we can allow for a few casualties by the cover that this is a drug search, but please Mc James avoid any large scale carnage. That goes for you as well Sam, these folks are at this point considered to be good old boy Americans, with a slightly odd hobby.”

“Why cant ye yanks keep to the normal type of pastimes like stamp or coin collecting maybe barbed wire knitting, or how aboot painting lead war figures, no you have blokes building play forts out of scrap. “

“Hey Mc James it gives a whole new meaning to Junk Yard Wars, you Brits gave us that “ Sam shot back, to which James only groaned, “ I should have seen that coming.”


Head in the game.

Betty

I had set up in Ann's Crafting cave this time as it was separated from the township with all of its distractions. The wardings around the cave gave me a warm protective feeling knowing that only a tactical nuke could uncover it or break in, I was able to work uninterrupted until well after sun down.

A very mistaken impression of casting is that people mistakenly think that I can do, what I want, when I want, like Harry Potter with his wand, it's not that easily done. You work with the power when it bids you to do so, and how it wants you to. That's why it takes some fore thought to prepare, discovering what you have to work with. Just popping in with some nincompoop spell is a good way of getting dead. We do have contingency spells that need no mumbling in Latin, or action to cast. It is stored like a booby trap that activates only when it is needed, this magic not mechanical boom booms. These take time to craft the correct material to work with ,and the correct phase of the moon.

There is a lot of planning, checking of what planets are in the heavens, compared to your birth chart, and a lot of trivial drin people would likely overlook. As a Hedge Witch had to take all of this in account. Being meticulous counts in so many ways, maybe as I grow with my craft I can let some of this go, but for now Maggie's lesions about sloppy work remain my gold standard.

Ann's old cave hide away was delightfully quiet, how enjoyable it was just to feel the lacking of stimulation. The emptiness was both luxurious and at the same time sensual. I can't afford any distractions. the burdens on my senses dropped away, my mind found it's calm spot and rested lightly within. I was ,for this moment, free of outside distractions, Erma was standing in as my Lamont Cranston keeping the children safe from my non-secret identity. I was needing to act freely with out worry about there safety, just in case preparations go wrong.

Alease was totally correct and it was time for me to finish setting the stage, and by completing my blocking out this Samhain campaign, to favor my success, doing so I was laying my foundation, of what was to happen when. I wanted my adversary's surprised and running for cover, when this train comes through the station wall.

I can not assuming that I am still anonymous, and that I have not been tagged. Also I don't know how targeted there personal attacks could be, so I needed several locations I can work from as casting areas allowing me to move around if they find my range and location at one, I can move to another.

'Oh Bother'

In a flash my mind asked, where was James off to, he has been conspicuously absent today? That thought brought a shiver through me, when James is conspicuously missing, there is a game a foot, And I am in the blind, on what he is doing or where he is. The shiver was a warning surrounding him in particular. This type of warning meant something was dangerously threatening him which is never a good thing, but especially before I go full out.

That thought gave me severely itchy feet, because I have learned that I must honor my impressions I had to settle my work in a safe parking position, and get out for a walk to see whats bothering me so much maybe the need for fresh air. Some how I seriously doubted it, it felt like some one had James in the cross hairs. I knew he could generally cared for him self but this feeling was about mortal danger, to him in particular and near by in the out side world.


20:10 hours

Sam

Our approach was flawless, our infiltration perfect. Working with a pro like James was a real treat, the down side with no real intelligence as to the field conditions, we were flying blind into a wasp nest. This county had no proper records of this property, and the township had a don't ask don't tell policy in surrounding land usage, The up shot was we were blindsided by this being a defunct junk yard. We were walking on the graves of Americas obsession with the
iron pony, everything was covered in vines moss with trees growing up through the rusted
rotted remains covering thousands of hidden traps as the car and truck bodies crumble under our feet, slowing our progress to a creep, No one inside knew we were there, but we were mired, trapped, with no quick and easy way of egress. Our secure communications were blocked by a low level jamming signal, so we could not even contact our C&C to let them know that ground assault was off the menu. We had prepared a burst coded transmission to be sent if we found away, because although our RF devices can't be understood by eaves droppers, the just discovered antenna farm around and inside the compound would inform them t something was sent and the approx location it came from.

“Sam I think we are as close as we are going to get to the compound and we need to let B and W know this is a no go. We nay even have the information they need to suss this nut out.”

“Lets try those little flying camera bug to get a better sense of whats there.”

“Good Idea but don't let it transmit back to us just pop up, scan, retreat to us, we direct link extract. then send it back up.”

“That may take a little time,”

“That's nay any problem as my leg is trapped inside of what I am sitting on so lets make the best of what we got.”


22:30 hours

Mr Black

It has been over two hours since we inserted the recon team and there is nothing. not even a peep.

Com
Agent Black sir there has been chatter on the local police bands that just informed us that
there is a big action of local law enforcement coming together in Summer town, focusing its target on our operations location.

Damn it we filled the papers to keep local law enforcement safely out of the picture.

No sir this is deliberate the Sharif telling every one to ignore those papers and is coming directly from the Summer Town local PD. Dispatch.

Does he thinks he is the all American Sheriff of Nottingham this is federal jurisdiction.

Hey W we need to talk.

Bout what partner.

This operation has gone all pear shape on us. No news from the recon team meaning they are not able to communicate with us. The earlier aerial pictures were shit, the entire area is overgrown by trees and bushes hiding the ground level. We have just been informed that we sat them down on the edge of an overgrown historic junk yard, a real mess of old car bodies, farming equipment and truck carcasses, all which may be trapping them from egress. Now the local police are mounting a major operations on top of them. .Bottom line we need to abort and get our people out, before they catch there death of lead poisoning in a cross fire.

“Shit that's the last time I allow the County to feed us local information , how do you miss telling us there is a historic trash pit of that size, I bet that this local police operation is no accident, some one is covering there ass.”

“Communications”

“yes sir Agent White“

“git me the air field'

“Right away sir!”

Humped

Sam

I had been working for about another hour or so when we noticed action at the front gate, with people coming up from the other side of where we were. They did not have the problems of negotiating through this shit it has been cleared on there side, and they had defensive points established with over lapping fiends of fire.

I had an call sign from an outside communications unit nearby but behind us. It ID as being one of ours and it sent me instructions There was a soft buzzing above drawing my attention to a spot just visible above the trees where there was some starlight being blocked out by our much larger flying friend I grabbed a fully charged micro drone and flash loaded it with our intelligence then sent it up to our the new visitor. Moments later I got back some bad news.

“Shit James we are boned but good, I just got an update from C and C something has kicked this nest of red ants and they are packing for an invasion they make a whole mess of twenty or more local police units not even two clicks away from the compound and our position. We are to abort and withdraw.”

“Ye get out Sam that's an order, I am trapped so I must stay hunker down here and let this storm blow over, maybe they will overlook me I should be all right. “

Just then there was a slight hissing sound to our right and I watched the tree's chopped into a mess of splinters. A round object went flying over those shortened stubs and ignited in a smoking reddish white flame, “flairs” James muttered, then a second larger ball dropped into the same area and after a few seconds it exploded with a thump not a loud bang shredding more of the undergrowth. There was another spray of something that shredded things to our left , and the same procedure was followed we were in a very narrow band of cover so when a third hollow sounding metal ball hit the ground we both flinched, this one did nothing.

“Sam go now, I bet that ball is the evidence, get it and scat.”

“You ass I don”t leave my people behind no matter what, we have a better chance together than apart".

All the time I was talking I was moving retrieving my own design utility hand ax from my side belt,

“Now shut up and don't move”

I made my first swing at the upper edge of the car body over the windshield we were sitting on

“or you will be”

I took the second swing splitting the upper windshield ridge,

“peeing sitting down”

I smashed the windshield . And freed James foot from the steering wheel that held it.

”for the rest of your life.”

James ripped the remaining metal away from his leg freeing it, pushing with his good leg he launched the two of us off the top of the cars sending us ass over tin cups down from the pile we were sitting on.

“Sam if ye wanted a circumcised man all ye need to do was ask.”

“Worry not love, good luck finding a Moil with combat experience.”

I grabbed the hollow ball and both of us started running zig zag different paths keeping low using our cover. A large ball hit and rolled between us it's fuse still burning, which James soccer side kicked back to where it came from. In a moment there was another dull thump from it behind us, then I was compelled by James's bulk to hit the ground as a largish branch flew over us.

I found moments later I had been picked up back on my feet and the two of us were running like bunnies to get out of this maze. As we went we picked our way, keeping low but listening for others in pursuit. We weren't surprised when we found out just how close they had gotten from the shouting around us.

I spy.

Betty

I Had arrived at the top of the best look out point to see down valley, I saw a sea of red and blue police lights starting to line up around something I could not make out. I cast my senses out and found a very agitated flash from James with another he was deeply concerned for. I fixed the location to where the police action was happening at the bottom of the valley near where the road from the south came up. At my distance I could see nothing but I knew some one who could Aurora. Questing for her I discovered her hunting mice about half way in between. I reached out to her finding her excited to sense me, I was caught up in all of the excitement she was feeling and had to pull myself back.

Before I got in too deeply I sent a blessing of protection and good luck to Aurora, James and friend. I was limited at this distance to what I could do at this short of notice, but there natural skills with just a bit of luck and protection should be enough to get them out alive, I pray it is enough.

No Retreat

Sam

We had stopped for a moment for me to field dress James leg. How he was running on it I did not know it was cut very deep and he had lost a lot of blood. The spray bandage we had been given in our first aid kit stopped the flow of blood and sealed the wound with a protective infection fighting foam. I then applied a night ops top bandage over it,

“Sam I can gimp out of here, just go and save your self don't slow your self down.”

At that moment James sagged a bit, from the loss of blood.

“Drink up man get some fluid into you” I had pulled his hydration tube to where he could get it.

“Good idea Sam I must be getting old, to forget that.”

As he drank deeply Both of us noticed the sounds coming up behind us that wasn't two footers, it was four, a lot of four footers. They were following James's blood trail and we both knew we could not out run them. So we picked our spot to stand, just when the lead alpha dog came into sight, it was a huge thing that walked like he owned the earth under him. Behind him was a large ragtag mess of mutts all waiting their turn for a piece of our meat. James and the Alpha locked eyes, then James pointed at the Alpha and with a voice so base and deep simply said

“ He's mine, you can have the rest, but that bad mutt is mine.”

In that moment everything fell quiet, then somewhere a cosmic fight bell rang, and the two contestants charged each other head on.


Next You Are Here
Futurus Persevero
[To be Continued]

Celtic_Animal_Ornament_0.png

Remember your comments are the Tiramisu in a writers life our egos need to know how we are doing, so please be generous and leave a comment.

up
104 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A big Thank You

I want to thank all the readers who have given this bit of work your time in reading this. I enjoy the writing and creation of these stories but I enjoy more being able to share them with you the readers. I am flying solo at this time and have started to edit my own work so any problems with that I am the sole person to hold responsible.

Thank You again

Misha Nova.

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

No Contest

terrynaut's picture

I would think that James, as a large wolf, could take out the dog, even with his injured leg. We shall see! This is exciting.

I love how Sam wouldn't leave James. They're in it together. It must be love.

I like that Betty is making a lot of preparations for her little war, and it sounds like she'll be ready if (when!) her plans don't quite work out as she expects. It's best to be flexible in war.

Thanks and kudos (number 17).

- Terry

The code

Granny Lee's picture

No one gets left behind. You bring your dead and wounded out with you.

May the Peace and Happiness of The Goddess keep and protect you
Granny Lee

Wow!

I just spent two days of free time reading this excellent story and enjoyed every minute. My only regret is now I have to wait on the rest of the story.

There is more in the wings

Celtic_Animal_Ornament.png

I did not stop here with my story while I could not post, I have a lot of material written all I need to do is chart the path which tells the story properly. I don't want this to appear to be an easy walk in the park for our folks. For Betty to move out of a slum lords crib into this very powerful demanding situation, is not easly done. She has to largely not think about if it can be done but she has to allow her self to be swept along.by all that is happening. She has been a bit of a control freak but that has to change, She will make the turn but you will need to see the toil and work to get past her past and the limitations she has learned over the years. The same goes for the rest of the crew, this is an ensemble piece, everyone is important as each even the villeins have a part in how this situation unfolds. I think I have another 5 chapters maybe more to complete this first book. Then immediately launch into the next Havens Stand, to be followed by Holding Haven. Parts of these next books I am already mapping our as the fabric woven in the first most difficult book carries on into the next books.

I want to thank everyone who has taken there valuable time to read this story. I am looking forward to a more steady stream of material being posted as many of the problems have been solved and I feel strongly enough about this story that I need to see it through. Your investment in this story will be rewarded. Again thank you.

Misha Nova

Futurus Persevero
[To be Continued]
Betty at full power.png

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif