Introduction

Printer-friendly version

Transgendered Fairy Tales
by Kaleigh Way

Introduction

 

Unless you read a lot of fairy tales, you might not be familiar with some of the stories that I've rewritten here. Rest assured: they are bona fide fairy tales (with a few folk tales) that I found and tweaked in a certain way. If you're interested in knowing where they come from, there is a page of sources at the very end.

I suppose it would be possible to take all the well-known stories, like Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty, and force one of the characters into a dress, but I don't have the heart to do such a thing. I've tried to find folk tales and fairy tales in which a gender change might do some good – or at least not seem too far out of place.

Honestly, it's strange that I have to do this work at all. Folk and fairy tales are full of transformations: people turn into monsters, animals, and even inanimate objects — and monsters, animals, and inanimate objects turn into people. In Cinderella all sorts of changes take place, and no one is surprised at all.

So why don't we see women turn into men and men turn into women?

It's not as though imaginative literature has any rules. Fairy tales often make little sense, or end in arbitrary ways. While princes and princesses disguise themselves as peasants or merchants or who-knows-what, why is it that no man thinks of wearing a dress, and no woman dreams of pulling on a pair of pants? It seems like the most natural thing in the world.

It's true, there is one story where this happens: in Andrew Lang's Violet Fairy Book, The Princess Who Pretended To Be A Boy. At the end, she actually turns into a boy, welcomes the change, and gets married to a girl. But it's the only transgendered fairy tale I know of.

And yes, there is a folk tale, The Cow On The Roof, in which a husband and wife switch jobs for a day, with predictably comic results. The story is all about curiosity over what life as the other sex is like. So why, in a land ruled by fantasy, don't they just go for a full-on gender swap?

It's downright odd, when you start to think about it, that there are so few stories about men masquerading as women or women masquerading as men. It seems like a fairly obvious story device that would provide a lot of irony, suspense, and humor. There's also the built-in fear of discovery and its consequences, which would add a lot of excitement to a story. So why doesn't it happen?

I've tried, with this little collection, to fit a few bricks into the gap.

These stories are short, and were a lot of fun to write. I hope that you'll find them fun to read. You might think that writing stories about boys who turn into girls would get monotonous, but for me, it never gets old.

And they all live happily ever after!

© 2007 by Kaleigh Way

up
44 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Mythology Junky

I am. Totally. So, I doubt you'll find a fairy tale that I've not at least heard of before. And I know a few out there are TG in spots.

We'll see, Edeyn!

Some of my first ones are fairly common, but wait to see.

If you know a majority of them, you'll win the Way-Way Clever Award.

And the ones you know that are TG in spots... where do they come from?
American Indian? Asia? I don't know those hardly at all.

fairy tales

There's a fairy tale I'm vaguely remembering where a beautiful princess falls under an evil spell and turns into a hairy monster that's sort of gender-neutral if not actually male, kind of a cross between Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast.

A little research tells me I'm recalling an episode of Jim Henson's Storyteller, entitled "Sapsorrow."

Also, I was curious as to whether you'll be getting into the real motiviation behind the crossdressing wolf in Little Red Riding Hood.

Try Heather Rose Brown's

The REAL Story of Little Red Riding Hood -- which no longer seems to be here. Hrm. Um, nevermind.

The crossdressing wolf

No to the wolf question.

I think the only other well-known fairy tale I rewrote is
Beauty and the Beast, but I mixed it up with an Italian
version of the story.

Works

Leaving aside 'Whitehall Farces' (something I'm delighted to do in this context), the one place where cross-dressing (at least) seems to be used as a plot device with some frequency is Comic Opera. There's at least one plot with a a girl masquerading as a boy, being dressed as a girl, as the plot develops (Cosi Fan Tutti as I recall).

There is even a category for it: 'a trouser role'.

I've read that cross-dressing is very common in the plots of Chinese Opera, but I haven't researched it.

Xi