Cynthia and the Dropped Ball, Chapter 5 of 7

Printer-friendly version
Cynthia and the Dropped Ball, Chapter 5 of 7

By Portia Bennett

Introduction: Tommie has an appointment with her doctor. Things start out quite well. The doctor is a bit surprised by her development and then things get a bit strange. Tommie’s ability to converse with animals comes to the forefront.

This story is another addition to The Cynthia Chronicles. Cynthia (Cindy) Brewer has graduated from medical school, and is well into her residency. The Wizard has difficulty remembering exactly where she is in her studies. Randi Lewis at age 18 is starting work on her Master of Science in Chemistry (read Randi and the Professor), and Charli Brewer will soon be a freshman in pre-med at UConn. Bobbie Anderson is setting the golf world on fire having now won tournaments on the PGA in addition to her many victories on the LPGA. This story takes place a year before Bobbie and the Glass Ceiling. If you are not familiar with the stories that make up the Cynthia Chronicles, you might want to go back to the beginning with An Incremental Journey. There are references to Cynthia and the Reluctant Girlfriend and Charli and the Girl Cave. If you don’t remember what happened in those stories, you might want to go back and read them again. This story also takes place just a few months before Cynthia and the Queen of the Knight.


 

This work is copyrighted by the author and any publication or distribution without the written consent of the author is strictly prohibited. This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance of the characters to persons living or dead is coincidental.


 

Cynthia and the Dropped Ball

 

Chapter 5

Other things were happening as well. Tommie had been on testosterone blockers for a little more than a year and had started low dose estrogen two months before. The doctors had told her not to expect major changes, especially not right away; however, her development seemed to be going a bit faster than anyone had expected.

The distaff side of the family made a trip to the local department store the Saturday after Tommie’s discovery of her unanticipated rapid development. It was a time of bonding that only mothers and daughters can have. The van provided by the trucking company was equipped with a wheel chair lift, and they were able to park in the van accessible parking spot close to the entrance to the mall. Dartmouth Mall was probably not the greatest shopping venue, but under the circumstances, it would do. It did have a Victoria’s Secret and a couple of other nice boutiques that would do well enough until Francesca got back on her feet and could travel to Boston or Providence to some of the finer shops.

Having been assured by the doctors that Tommie would not be undergoing any rapid drastic changes, Francesca was a bit surprised at how much Tommie had changed over the last few weeks. She was actually developing hips, and she measured to a 30 AA bra. Other than the slight ‘protrusion’ she looked very natural in a pair of panties. That anomaly was quickly hidden with a feminine pad. There was no question that Tommie was becoming a young woman; if only in shape. Things were going better than anyone had expected, including her doctors.

Her doctor’s appointment was the following Wednesday, a week and a half before her birthday.

“Tommie, have you been taking anything in addition to the shots we gave you?”

“No sir, you told me not to; not that I would have known where to get anything, anyway.” That wasn’t entirely true. Tommie had discovered several sites where hormones were available. However, she would have to have had a credit card. Besides, she certainly didn't know more about what she should be doing than the doctors did.

“Your lab results are rather interesting,” the doctor said scanning his computer screen. “Your estrogen and progesterone levels are at the upper end of the scale we’d expect for a girl exhibiting the stage of puberty you appear to have reached. Your testosterone level is right on line for a girl your age. I double checked everything as far as the dosages we gave you. I don’t think we overdosed you.

“How have you been feeling; any nausea?”

“No sir.”

It was at this point that things got a little weird.

“You seem to have a little acne. If that doesn’t clear up right away, I might prescribe birth control pills. I know you’re not having sex; at least I hope not. Sometimes the pills help with that sort of thing.

“Let’s see, you haven’t started your periods yet. I think we’ll schedule you for a complete exam next time, and we’ll give you your papilloma vaccination at the same time. It’s just a good idea. It’s no big deal and your mother’s already okayed it. Your sister got hers four years ago.

“I’ll have the nurse schedule you for a complete exam in six months. I’ll tell you what, I’ll write a prescription for some pills. Just follow the instructions. I wouldn’t want to see any acne problems develop and mess up that beautiful complexion of yours.”

In spite of what some might think due to the birthmark, Tammie’s complexion, with the exception of a few ‘zits' was very nice. Some would say her skin was porcelain smooth.

Tommie had happily and with her parents’ permission been wearing girl’s clothing at home for many years. The hotel staff had been aware of Tommie’s situation for many years and were wholly supportive with the exception of one caretaker who was asked to find employment elsewhere.

“Mom, Dr. Leibowitz talked to me as if I were a real girl. He asked me if my periods had started yet, and then he prescribed birth control pills for my acne.”

“Well that certainly is a bit strange. I mean you do have a couple pimples, but certainly nothing to get excited about.”

“He also wants me to come back for a complete examination and get a papilloma shot. I guess that’s okay,” Tommie said sounding a bit perplexed.

“Maybe he was just having a little fun with you. I certainly don’t think what you’re going through is anything to joke about, though.

“I guess we’d better get that prescription filled.”

Matilda and Henrietta were napping on Tommie’s bed when she returned from the morning appointment with the doctor. They were rescue cats. Both had been found as kittens around the docks. Henrietta had joined the family five years previously, and Matilda had come along three years later. Both were short haired calicos, and might even have had the same parentage. Henrietta was Elaine’s cat; however, she was pretty independent, and she spent a lot of time in the lobby greeting guests. She never ventured far from the hotel, though.

Matilda was a different matter. Although she was friendly with the hotel staff and guests, she was definitely Tommie’s cat. As Elaine and others had noted, there seemed to be a strong bond between the two. Tommie swore that she knew what Matilda was thinking, and that she had no trouble communicating with her.

Had Tommie been a bit more truthful, her family would have discovered that Tommie was certain that she could communicate with many animals. Cats and dogs were easy. Basic ideas were easy to get across; however, with Matilda, and Henrietta to a lesser degree, it was like carrying on conversations. Trips to the zoo were overwhelming; especially the ape exhibits. Some of them were not too upset, especially the rescue chimps that compared their new ‘freedom’ with where they’d been. All of them expressed a wrongness about their situation and a great desire to return to a homeland they’d never experienced. Tommie wondered if it would ever be possible.

“So what have you two been up to?” Tommie asked as she placed her purse on her dresser.

‘Not much, Henrietta killed a rat out back by the dumpster. It was a Norwegian rat; not one of the native species. Although we don’t see many of the latter.

‘We’ve been getting word from the west that there is a campaign among some cats to set up an organized program to get rid of non-native species. They say it’s working. It’s just been words so far. I haven’t seen any attempts to get anything organized around here.’

“Well that’s very interesting. Why are you sleeping? You didn’t do anything, did you?”

‘Of course I did. I flushed the rat out so Henrietta could kill it. It was her turn. We left it on the back step so that the staff could properly dispose of it.’

“Yuck.”

“Yuck, what?”

Tommie turned to see Elaine entering her room.

“Matilda was telling me that she and Henrietta killed a rat. They left it by the back door to the kitchen.”

“How did you know that? The sous chef just found it.”

“I told you. Matilda just told me. She flushed the rat out from where it was hiding, and Henrietta killed it.”

‘Tell her that she promised to sneak out this evening to see Eric. They are going to meet at the old boat house.’ Eric was one of the summer hire waiters and bellhop. He attended Providence College in Providence Rhode Island. He was a ‘good’ Catholic boy; which was one of the reasons the DiMaggios hired him. Of course, being 19 and working close to the frankly very attractive Elaine DiMaggio got the hormones going into overdrive. He may not have realized that the dark haired beauty was only 15, and she certainly wasn’t going to tell him.

“So, are you going to use protection?” Tommie asked quietly.

“Wha …, what in the world are you talking about?”

“Matilda just told me that you and Eric are going to have a little meeting in the boat house after he gets off work tonight. Have you told him that you are only 15? If you don’t, I will. That could really screw things up for both of you, and he could go to jail. I don’t think Mom and Dad want to be grandparents quite this soon, anyway.”

“You little shit, don’t you dare tell Mom and Dad.”

“I’ll leave that up to you. I like Eric, too; however, you need to be fair to him and you. I’m not saying don’t date him. I’m saying don’t screw things up for everyone.

“Now, about Matilda, are you beginning to understand that she and I are able to communicate on a bit higher level than you might have thought. Henrietta and I can communicate on the same level. It’s the same reason I don’t like to go to the zoo. They are so unhappy there.”

“Are you sure you’re only 12, well almost. You sound a lot like Mom.”

“Lainie, I may be a girl and I think I’m going to be a pretty one, but unless something extraordinary happens, I’ll never be able to have babies. Don’t mess it up for you. I want to be an aunt someday, but not right away. Be cool, okay.”

================================================

Something big is going to happen at the hotel, and Tommie isn’t too sure about it.

up
141 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

There's probably a good chance of that.

littlerocksilver's picture

Does this remind you of someone you might have read about before. Someone who could talk to cats (and dogs)?

Portia

Sounds like (pun intended)

Sounds like (pun intended) Tommie just might be another Doctor Dolittle as she appears to have the gift of being able to talk to the animals.
Possibly she is going to find her calling in the Vet business working with sick, pregnant, or injured animals?

By This Time

littlerocksilver's picture

We know that Tommie is Charli Donizetti's first cousin. They just haven't been reunited. Charli's, then Charlie, ability to converse with animals showed up when Charli was about the same age as Tommie is now. The first experience was with Padrona, now Wolf's wife, when she was the junk yard dog to beat all junkyard dogs. Charli's ability rapidly developed after that.

Portia