Art Project – 6 Growing for Two

Printer-friendly version


Art Project – 6
Growing for Two


By Jessica C


Andrew’s attention deficit, being a bit spoiled and getting away with things caught up with him…
Making a prom dress and work helps to bring out another side…
Mom and Terra help Andrea attended her first prom…
Andrea’s growing, and Andrew is not going away.



=^..^=


There's four days where we’re taking final exams or need to be in class; meeting state regulations that we have so many school days to make a full schedule. I guess, it doesn’t matter if you’re doing something worthwhile or not. There was a group of us, when we're not taking exams, we work on projects in Ms. Miller’s room. Patterns and material there were half their usual cheap cost.

Lisa Jenkins has become a closer friend and she's encouraged me to wear a camisole and whatever Andrea wanted under my Andrew clothes. Tuesday, it was more obvious after I had two exams. I used one of the changing rooms in Ms. Miller’s room to change into a skort, to get around the dress code, along with a nice top.

Ms. Miller asked me, “And what do you think you’re doing? Do you want to get me into trouble?”

“No, Ms. Miller, I’m willing to change, but I was hoping I could wear these shorts.” She smiled, “If someone in the main office says skorts aren’t shorts you will need to change. I’ll support your decision for now.” Lisa and Gwen, thanked Ms. Miller before I could.

Seven boys wore skorts on Wednesday and were made up by their girlfriends, and there' another dressed by a sister. A handful of other guys were in girl’s shorts or slacks with different amounts of makeup accessories and different tops, but one could tell they did their own work. Two boys on the baseball team wore my tutu outfits with the spandex shorts. One was challenged to go home and change. His mother called the principal, “He had my blessing to wear the tutus as long as he did not get derogatory or do anything to be demeaning. Since you did not complain anything about that I want him to stay and take his 1:00 exam. If you excuse him to come home after that we’ll consider that his school day.”

Principal Hayes tried saying no, but the mom said she would formally protest if needed. That settled that.

I had altered one pattern and used two pieces of fabric to make a needed sundress. I had cut out the pattern yesterday and after school. Today I cut the golden orange fabric for the skirt and a floral print for the top of the dress. Most thought I was out of my mind with the combination until I started to put them together. I had kept the two pattern pieces away from each other until I took them home for the night. My Mom and my sister helped me with the backing and tucking the darts.

I had also taken pictures with a camera setup I had made. The dress wouldn’t be finished till the next day but was far enough along I could model it and send pictures off to JC.

Thursday I had finished the sundress and kept it on to model it in Art class. I don't know if Mr. Murphy was serious or making an excuse to change his attitude toward me. Whatever he said he’d changed my Art grade to an ‘A’. I jumped up and hugged him and somewhere along the way, I became one of the Murphy girls. I didn’t really like that but I liked getting the A. And I do like the times I feel like one of the girls with the class. The ones I made from Ms. Miller’s class, I thought were better, more creative.

We're soon in Ms. Miller’s room and I took Terra aside. “Terra, maybe I shouldn’t be asking this of my girlfriend but…”

She interrupts, “Andrew, Andrea is breaking the mold, isn't she? I don’t want you going too far nor flirting with getting in trouble. …What’s your mother going to say about it if I line up a date for you with a guy?” She giggled at my startled look, “That is what you want about talk isn’t it?”

I asked, “How did you know?”

Terra said, “I heard you say something about it yesterday when you were talking to JC. You were saying you're head over heels about me but you’re too young to be getting that serious. …Well, I’m going to college and frankly, I can’t see myself going around campus with a high school student when you're there, whether it’s a guy or a girl.”

“You and JC were talking about you going to some social events with me, or sometimes with a guy. I don’t want us being at odds with each other. I was wondering, what if, I introduced you to the guy and we double dated. I thought by the end of tomorrow you might be ready to unwind and celebrate Andrea’s Threads with a dinner out and some dancing, the four of us.”

“Travis Milner is a senior over at Plainfield High, I’ve gone out with his brother Justus before. I called and ask them if they’d go out with us tomorrow night. Travis is a free spirit and he knows who you are. He said, ‘He’d enjoy going out with Andrea, but won’t go out with Andrew.’”

I say, “You mean I have a date with this Travis guy for tomorrow night if I want.”

Terra says, “Yes, but we can talk about that later; we need to get you ready for your exhibition at the City’s Community Civic Center.”

Leah is there to say hello to Ms. Miller and to help with my change over to Andrea. She introduces me to Cyndi and Marti both from X-Press. It will be twenty minutes before four others from X-Press come in. They’ll all help at the exhibit, but are here now to help me and our models. One area has been curtained off as Leah and Marti are to help me put on some breast forms.

I have stripped down and I’m halfway through getting on the breast forms when the noise in the classroom changes. What we did not want, happened. I made out the voice of Principal Hayes talking to Ms. Miller. Once the second breast was securely in place I was up and the table folded and placed against the wall. The blending of the breast seems and changing into a beautiful bra were done well but in haste. I was pulling over my printed top. When Valerie Hayes announced she was looking in.

She said, “I knew a girl needed more time to get ready than you had left yourself between school and the exhibition.” She smiled, “I like your outfit, you have good tastes, Andrea.”

I interrupt and ask if she’d like a makeover. Cyndi says, “We have one outfit that would suit you, along with the makeover.”

I ask her, “Principal Hayes, I’d appreciate if you would try and see if you like it?” She tells me it wouldn’t be right.

I giggled, “Why don’t you go and dismiss school for the year. Sometime before 4:00 please come and change into what she has for you and enjoy the makeover, after your work.”

Leah says changing the subject, “I didn’t see Andrea’s blouse on any of the sights, and I’d love to have it.”

Cyndi smiles as she says, “X-Press produces some of your sister’s clothes exclusively for her. Most models and designers don’t like everyone to be able to copy their complete wardrobe. There are some others we hope you love just as well.” JC had already picked out a nice dress for Leah to model along with a rainbow set of tutus, specially made for Leah, Heidi and me, as Andrea. Our skirt or shorts we’re different colors of the rainbow tutu.

=^_^=


Thursday's exhibition was exclusively promoted through the school, only friends of students from the Central High had come. A dozen or more students made use of the makeovers by the X-Press staff. Cyndi and Marti made sure the makeovers were age-appropriate. Well within three years, they were.

Lisa Jenkins did her detail work on ten or so outfits. We took pictures of every outfit so product people could decide how hard it would be to produce in significant quantities, economically. Lisa needed to sign off on anything we produced.

It was near closing when a woman I didn’t recognize came through the door and Mom was with her. Mom said, “Andrew and Terra, I want to introduce you to Dr. Paula Haverford, she’s the Superintendent at State Center Schools. She was hoping to meet with you over a late dinner.”

I look down at my rainbow tutu, “I can’t believe I’m going to change into another outfit.”

Terra lightly laughs, “Maybe it would be easier if it were Andrea’s Threads?”

“Maybe easier but not happening.” I quickly pick out what I want to change into and head for a changing room. “Leah and Terra, you should change too.”

Mom says, “Paula just wanted to take you and me out.”

“Then Terra and Leah can take my crew out to dinner as thanks. I’m going out to the Credo Club tomorrow night, so tonight has to be somewhere else. Isn’t Dad invited?”

Paula smiles, “Yes, he was invited but your Mom says he won’t be home until late tomorrow.” Mom nods her head in affirmation.” Ms. Haverford made a quick call, “Andrea’s coming with her mother.”

We went to the Country Club and this time we had a private area. Heather their Art instructor was one of three others who met with us. Heather says, “I went with my daughter to the Civic Center and we were both greatly impressed.”

I scanned in my mind, “Is your daughter out in the restaurant by the window?”

Heather looked in bewilderment, “I think so, why? I mean you’re very observant.”

I tell them, “I’d very much like if she came and ate with us. I would like someone close to my age.” Heather looks to Paula to make sure it’s okay. Paula looks at me and my Mom, before saying okay. Sheryl is soon with us.

Ms. Hannah Stein and Jennifer Hopkins are the others. Hannah would be my faculty advocate and coordinate special programs. Jennifer's a literature and composition instructor. They come across as college staff in a high school program. Their first priority is to let me know I would be welcome and receive support from them. Dressing and being received as Andrew and Andrea was quickly stated to be no problem. One giant plus is taken care of.

Heather and Ms. Stein both invoke JC Harper’s name, as they underscore their hope that I will be a serious student. While I’ll have plenty of time to pursue what I want. JC told us, “You’re being a free spirit is not a license to be ignorant if I’m to be your mentor. Discipline in your studies will help in you being a professional, meeting others and building a career.”

I got into conversations with Heather, Jennifer, and Sheryl as we ate. I was sure I could relate well as either Andrea and Andrew. Jennifer encouraged me to make sure Andi’s getting nurtured too. That was an unexpressed plus and it sealed my transferring to State Center.

=^_^=


Friday, I slept in until 7:00 in the morning but felt a need to get up and check the inventory at the Community Center. Carol was there along with ten new boxes that had come overnight. Marti and Cyndi wanted to take charge, but Carol informed me, “Once the inventory has arrived, we should be the ones to count and check our inventory and new shipments. It is not that you don’t trust them. But if something is wrong they might have a conflict of interests. This end is our business and they are to be here as our support help. That should be enough.”

“I appreciate their help and I like some of their ideas. But if it is okay with you, we’re the ones responsible once things get here.”

Carol complimented me, “I like what you’re wearing and your makeup. Who helped you this morning?”

I ask, “Should I take it as a compliment if I did, or is something wrong?”

Carrie says, “It is purely a compliment, but it was enough of a change that I wasn’t sure if you had help.” I had a longer skirt because of the air conditioning, but it was unbuttoned over half the way up my left leg. I thought it was attractive while not being overboard. I figured I could model something else if it became too warm or cumbersome. Truth be told I’m liking how easy it is being Andrea. I did change into more comfortable heeled sandals as the day went on. Then I made one more change of outfits.

I enjoyed many of my classmates taking interests in my designs. Moms and younger teens to girls around ten years old and older came today to explore some of the new clothes we got in. There is a tutu line for younger girls that is fun yet more age-appropriate for them. Mrs. Anders, one of my neighbors brought her two daughters and two nieces and her younger sister.

Mrs. Anders had heard from her daughters how I sometimes dressed, but today was her firsthand experience in meeting me as Andrea. We took time to sit in a courtesy area and Melody Anders was the one who served me a tea that she knew I liked as Andrew. “Thanks, Mrs. Anders that is very thoughtful of you.”

She asked, “Would it be okay if I asked you to call me Melody when you’re Andrea. I'd like either of you to visit at our home?” I knew it was important to her and she was recognizing me as an adult and an equal. I liked that.

I would have liked to take longer but I had learned from Carol ten minutes was usually long enough. The last hour we were open, Carol suggested and I complied that I sign and give away many of the posters. I was surprised that people were interested to get them signed by me. I signed one, kissed it and set it aside for my Mother.

=^_^=


It was soon time to close things at the Community Center and get ready for my night out. I text Terra, only to discover I did not see her come in. We set our dinner time a half-hour later than planned. I now knew better the time it took to refresh and dress as Andrea. I had chosen the sundress I made earlier in the week. I had it laid out on my bed when I took my shower. Mom was holding and admiring it with Leah when I came back into the bedroom. Leah had seen it, but Mom was tickled. I had taken a basic pattern and designed something fresh and new from it.

I was smart enough to excuse her as I changed into my outfit as I was uncomfortable showing her the panty and bra I was wearing with it. Leah said, “That was wise on your part, but you have me worried a little with you wearing them to go out with two guys.”

“Thanks for the concern Sis, but my only reasoning is to enjoy the comfort as I relax and enjoy what we accomplished.”

I don’t think Leah understands how important her compliments and just being here means for me. She gave me a hug, commenting, “Andrea, I am so proud of you. You deserve a wonderful night out. I saw the poster you signed and gave to Mother. You do so many little things well along with all you’ve accomplished this year. …I think I’m going to enjoy you being a State Center and us being in the same apartment building. But know, I’m going to continue to be your big sister and protect you, little brother/sister.”

Leah asks, “What was your first impression in seeing Travis?”

I’m now upset, “You knew the guy with young Amy was Travis and didn’t tell me? What were you thinking?”

“Travis brought over his sister Amy to see your clothes and possibly buy some. Travis said, ‘When he saw how busy you were. He decided not to take you away from your customers and the publicity people. He didn’t want to get caught up in that.”

I said, “But when I was helping Amy someone could have told me who he was. He didn’t even introduce himself. Can you believe that?”

Leah said, “You were already more girl in seeing him when you didn’t know who he was. Look at you now, it surprises me how much of a girl my brother is just in talking about a date. Are you going to be alright?”

I say, “Leah, you got it wrong. I am not interested in him as a boy as much as how other girls might see him. I’ve stepped into a girl’s world and it is helpful for me to understand my clients. I am way more attracted to Terra, but even there I’d rather learn to be special friends.”

Heidi came in behind me, “I am not sure Andrea if you’re trying to fool Leah or yourself? I think Leah and I better watch after you. I am glad I’m going somewhere else to college so I can get away from this nonsense.”

“Hey, I don’t need this grief. I just want a quick shower and to get ready to go out for dinner and celebrate. Mom said we’re celebrating as a family tomorrow night or Sunday after church.” My outfit is spread out on my bed and I asked Leah to tell Mom I wanted her help after my shower.

It was a quick shower so to speak, I shampooed and conditioned my hair. My gaff should have been changed last night, now it was essential. I have learned not to use perfume in place of good hygiene. Might be TMI, but it’s essential for a boy like me.

“Mom, I need your help in making sure I get my gaff on properly. I don’t want to embarrass myself with anything unexpected showing up.”

Mom giggles lightly as she has me lay down. This is a better gaff and allows me to go to the bathroom like a normal girl while tucking things securely out of the way. Mom says, “You’re not expecting your dinner and time out with a boy is going to excite you, are you? Maybe I should be keeping you home.”

“Mom, I need and want to get out and relax, celebrating the exhibit. It is all innocent fun. But Travis was with his little sister. It wasn’t until he was leaving that I learned the attractive guy was him. I helped his sister Amy and no one said anything. He’s a bit of a hunk and it hit me that I’m going to be seen going out with him." It was like I’m in girl mode and was excited.

I felt better not having it as a secret from my Mom and have my feelings back under control. I enjoy quickly getting dressed and my makeup is done. I am trying to see myself as one of the many girls enjoying my clothes and getting ready for a date. I know that Travis would be good for almost any girl’s ego.

I don’t know how much of what we sold today, but it is more than enough celebrate. More fashions are due in tomorrow morning at Carole’s Dress Shoppe.

I’m soon on my painted tiptoes looking out for Justus and Travis to arrive. Mom insists I sit down and not act like a young girl. My red and blue shirt over a cotton cream color skirt goes well with the blouse. They’re from another collection that has just gone into production.

=^_^=


The doorbell rings and I jump as I had not heard anyone drive up or come up to the door. My two and a half-inch heels almost bring me up closer to Travis’ height. Though I’m now 16 I feel younger and shy next to this eighteen-year-old guy. He smiles and I know I’m excited again being Andrea. I almost have to skip with his longer strides; we’re soon walking to the car. I was embarrassed as Mom told him. “Take care of my daughter and return her safe and sound. …Andrea, have a good time Honey.” Gez Mom!

It seems funny to be dressed as Andrea in the back seat of a car. The seats are close and the inside is cool as the day has been hot outside. Justus is driving and Terra compliments how I look as does Travis. I find myself scooting closer to Travis to stay comfortable as my arms have goosebumps.

Credo’s Club is just a short drive and someone opens my door allowing me to scoot out. Luckily I am a good girl making sure my skirt does not ride up as turn before I get out. One camera clicks and then another flash and so on, and I almost forgot that JC told me it would happen. Travis comes around and I take his hand. We make our way when I hear someone say, “They make a cute couple.” I don’t disagree, though I see it as being funny that I’m the girl in this case. Soon inside I give Travis a kiss on a cheek saying thanks.

Terra and Justus are behind us, and we’re greeted by Morey, the owner. Travis asks if he has the corsage. It is quickly produced and Travis pins it on me. Again pictures are taken as they will be now and then, but nothing posed. Morey leads us to a table saying, “If you don’t mind this table will be your regular table, Andrea?” There are my name and a picture that look like it was from earlier today. He says, “If you would get one professionally done at your prettiest I’d be happy to change it.” He hands me one to sign saying it will replace the other. There are many hanging around and autographed that I had not noticed before by a number of celebrities and music groups.

I turn to Terra now sitting to one side with Travis on the other. “It is a little premature for a picture and stuff.”

Terra says, “They’re anticipating the fame and notoriety coming your way. I think he’s being smart to jump on early. Andrea, I hope you never lose your innocence and beauty. I was very impressed by how you treated your customers today and yesterday.”

Travis spoke up, trying to say it to his brother. “Justus, you should have seen Amy as she maneuvered her way to Andrea. Andrea asked her what she wanted and Amy had this skirt asking what might look good with it. Mom said I was only to get Amy one thing. But Andrea was so nice and the top was dead-on right for Sis. We got both.”

I tried to hit Travis on the arm for not telling me it was him. The hit was like that of a girl and he hugged me to stop the next attempt. “Sorry but that was very nice of you. There was no way I could introduce myself and take Amy’s moment away from her.”

Justus says, “Is that why she was so excited when she came back home. Our mom’s hoping I could get you to sign a picture for Amy sometime. But don’t worry I told our Mom, not on a date.”

Dinner was nice and while the other three had a beer or another drink they limited themselves to one. It was after nine when the band began playing. Travis and I had talked. He was comfortable dancing with me as long as it was fast enough that we were apart. “No offense but I’m not ready to pull a guy up close and dance with him.”

It was about an hour later; we were having one more dance at Credo’s before we made our way to a place in their town. That dance ended with a slow dance following it up. I expected Travis was taking hold of me to get going but he pulled me close and we began to dance. I looked to Travis and he said, “I figured you’re a normal person and I like being with you Andrea…”

We exchange a kiss as the dance ended and suddenly I was Andrea, a girl kissing Travis, a guy. The kiss lingered long enough not to mistake it for what it was. Travis asked his brother, “Would it be okay if we head to Union Junction and the Backdoor?”

It was about the same distance, though I never heard of the place. When we got there, there wasn’t much of a sign. It could easily have been missed. Justus said, “This is a good place to come to when one just wants to get away. Everyone can be their self and no one else cares.’

I knew there were a few cars out of the street, but I was surprised how many people were inside. We found a small table, one of the few not taken. Terra comes back to the table with a parasol in the glass, “It’s a strawberry surprise. Please sip and make it last.”

I took one sip enjoying the sweetness but the warm feeling going down was probably the surprise. I couldn’t really taste or smell what it was, but then I don’t drink. I am not sure when I moved and sat on Travis’ lap. I think someone took one of our chairs while we were dancing.

I really was a good girl and had sipped only half of my strawberry surprise. Travis had bought me a diet coke that I drank before it was time to go home. When I said goodnight at the door. It reminded me when I heard my sisters coming home from a date. I hadn’t understood all the silence I heard until tonight. One kiss, in particular, was really nice. “Andrea, I really liked tonight and I would love to go out again.” This time when he kissed I accepted I was different.


To continue…

Comments and kudos are welcome.

up
238 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Andrea

Renee_Heart2's picture

Is coming.out more & more I think the more time goes by the more she comes out as her TRUE self. Espicaly when she relaxes & just let's it happen.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

I just realised...

Is the principals name Valerie Hayes inspired by Ellen Hayes' stories about Eugene/Valerie Tucker?

Anne Margarete

Looks like there is more

Looks like there is more Andrea than Andrew since the shows, and definitely now since her first date and first kisses. Time for Andrea to step to the front and Andrew moving to the back and eventually out of the picture.

Well I’m going to college

Well I’m going to college and frankly I can’t see myself going around campus with a high school student all the time, whether it’s a guy or a girl.”

I've got sad news for Terra. Freshman and high school seniors are pretty much considered the same thing by the sophomores, juniors, and seniors. They are still kids, barely adults only by the fact that most are eighteen. Other than that, unless they are some hot football prospect they will be mostly ignored. If they try to put on airs they will generally be slapped down or dismissed.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Seems

She left someone with a really good impression.