Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2914

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2914
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

The next day Amanda returned and was horrified to see the damage to the cottage next to her. “David could have used my cottage,” she exclaimed when she saw the caravan. About an hour after she arrived, a large lorry with scaffolding pulled up in the drive and by lunch time the three men erecting the poles had finished that part of the job. They took a break for lunch and we made them hot drinks. Half an hour later we watched as they fixed heavy plastic sheeting all over the scaffolding enclosing the damaged roof and the gable end that had been damaged.

Maureen came after they’d finished and inspected it, she seemed quite pleased with the job and her builder colleagues would be able to get started the next day. There was an external tap on the side of the cottage and she ran an outdoor extension socket to stand beside it.

“What’s that for?” asked our resident genius.

“So they can boil a kettle while they work.”

“Really?” she asked unsure of the older woman’s answer.

“No, it’s so they can run a cement mixer.”

“Ah,” said Einstein and went off curiosity sated—for the moment.

“Do we know the builders?” I asked unsure of having too many strangers on the property.

“Yes, it’s Ed Mutton and his brother, they did much of your extension.”

“Oh I remember, big chap with a beard, his brother’s bald as a coot.”

“Yep, seen more hair on a billiard ball,” was Maureen’s reply. They were quite good workers. A heavy shower sent us all scuttling for cover. “Make sure the kids stay away from the scaffolding, it’s dangerous if you don’t know what you’re doing.”

“I’ll tell them at dinner, unless you wish to do so.”

“Nah, you can do it.”

“They may take it better from you I urged, or why don’t you stay for dinner and you can tell them then?”

“Okay, what time?”

I told her about six and she said she’d be back. I knew that Julie would be pleased to see her again.

“We have another for dinner,” I announced to David.

“If you’re thinking of calling me trailer trash, don’t bother.”

“What?” It hadn’t entered my consciousness let alone my mouth.

“You heard.”

“I wouldn’t dream of it.”

“Good,” he retorted doing something in the sink, “Now, out of my kitchen.”

One of these days I shall remind him it was my kitchen long before he came. I asked Amanda if she wanted to amuse the girls or do some ironing. Having been caught before, she opted for the ironing. I therefore got to amuse Danni and those younger. We still had the minibus thing and I suddenly asked, who wants to go swimming? I was nearly killed in the stampede. So while David cooked and Amanda ironed, I took the hooligans to the hotel swimming pool.

I half expected Danielle to wear her bikini, it looks really nice on her but she opted for a conventional bathing suit, which still showed her developing shape but was probably safer for some serious swimming. As soon as we got there she was goggles on, swim cap on and she swam continuously for an hour. I messed about with the younger ones in the shallow end. I did eventually get a swim when Trish and Hannah watched the little ones and Livvie and I did a few lengths. I’m not a good swimmer and Livvie was soon well ahead of me, finishing half a length up when we finished. My shoulders felt stiff and I knew I’d regret it the next day but the girls enjoyed it.

On speaking with Danielle, she explained that she needed to do the exercise because she felt generally unfit. She had training that night, so I warned her not to overdo it. She total ignored me relying on her youthful body to meet whatever demands she placed upon it. I thought she might struggle in another twenty years when you first begin to realise you’re not nineteen any more.

The journey back was verging on nightmarish as we caught some of the rush hour not help by road works and a minor shunt, where two cars managed to bump each other and spent ten minutes assessing the damage before moving them. Camera phones came out and pictures were taken from every perspective. The person in front of me beeped at them and then we had an argument and finally some fisticuffs. The girls thought it more entertaining than television. I just hoped no one got hurt.

Then the fight seemed to roll back to our car and they bumped into the side of it. I’d had enough and wound down the window and told them to grow up. Lots of cars were beeping their horns at them.

“Shut it, bitch,” was the response I got from first one.

“Did he call you a lady dog, Mummy?” asked Hannah.

“Yes, he did,” said Danni and as the scuffle revisited us, Danni pulled her wet swimming cozzie out of the bag and slapped him across the face with it. “Don’t you call my mother names,” she shouted at him. He swore at her and used the C word I was out of the minibus and shouting at him.

“You tell him girl,” shouted some woman egged on by several others, so he took a swing at me calling me horrid names. I ducked out of the way and told him to stop it before he got hurt. Some people never learn. He took another swing and I let him come past before I kicked behind his knee and pushed him over. Those in the cars behind cheered loudly.

I went to get back into my car as the traffic was now ready to move again and our aggressive nuisance charged at me. I sidestepped and opened the door on him as he flew at me. He bounced backwards and stayed on the road rolling about holding his face. I didn’t know what to do, whether to leave him there or go and see how hurt he was. Moments later the police arrived and when they went to help him he attacked them, we left them to deal with him and drove home.

Trish had filmed it all and I wondered how many others had as well. Thinking about it, I shouldn’t get involved. I’m a professor and bank director, I should be more circumspect about this sort of thing. The girls enjoyed it and were full of it when we got home. Simon was less effusive in his praise—“I thought women tended to avoid physical violence at all costs unlike men.”

“I didn’t start it,” I protested.

“You never do,” he sighed.

“He should be glad it was me he had a go at and not Maureen, she’d have killed him.”

“I suspect Maureen would have the sense not to get involved in a public brawl.”

“He kicked the side of the minibus.”

“It’s a people carrier.”

“Yeah, a minibus.”

He shook his head and Maureen appeared, not as a consequence of him shaking his head—goodness that would sound as if she was stuck in his ear or something. In actual fact, her car pulled into the drive while we were talking and as he shook his head she entered the building. Am I wasting my breath here?

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
295 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yup

Podracer's picture

Wasting y'breath. Take a deep one and enjoy it for yourself. It's free - so far, anyway.
I do sink-ronised swimming, gasping and blowing like a grampus by the end of the pool. Drawing worried looks from the pool attendants, I would wheeze and blow for a few seconds then set off back. Rinse, repeat.

"Reach for the sun."

Road rage without even

Road rage without even driving is what this was towards Cathy. Yet this same guy will telling all his drinking friends about the "B" or "C" that got him arrested. All her fault and nothing he ever did deserved to be arrested and most likely jailed. Oh let's not forget he most likely broke his nose when he hit door with his face and head. Nice one Cathy.

Car crashes.

Thanks to camera-phones, car crashes can provide hilarious entertainment provided NOBODY IS HURT! Some drivers are unbelievably stupid.

Still lovin' it Ang. x

bev_1.jpg

We all have been waiting for

We all have been waiting for THIS photo !

Hugs,
Karen

"Oh, yea, well my mommie can

"Oh, yea, well my mommie can beat your Daddie."
Lady C does it again. Beats the heck out of someone, than looks to heal them. A waste of a good beating !

Karen

What we have here

is the emotional intelligence of a gnat. Attacking the police? Really?

Another good one Ang, I missed the chapters, but glad to see you get some rest (sort of).

Glad the guy attacked the cops

but wish Cathy had just stayed in the car. Set a good example for those younger folk she's carrying and stay out of harms way. How many youtube posts of our heroine are there going to be posted. Surely a few will give the assailant reason to believe he can get a big payday by making up a story and suing a rich family.

So many times

when Cathy gets into a spot of bother when her girls are present , You normally find the first one to react is Danni , She might look very much the young woman these days but scratch a little below the surface and there is still enough of the old Danny to react when someone causes problems for her mother , I would imagine the idiot who attacked Cathy wishes they had stayed in their car , Attacking the police when being arrested is not the most sensible thing to do , At best he will a few hundred pounds out of pocket , Chances are though it could be considerably worse...

Kirri