A New Job Twist Part 4

Printer-friendly version

That Saturday, Gary's family and my family were walking through the harbor market together. His daughter and my children were together. Dawn and Rebecca were walking through various booths and tables and set up. Gary and I walked farther back. Gary was quizzing me about my first week at at Fashionable. “What are your impressions so far? Not what you thought it would be, was it?” I look around the harbor, then I respond. “I would never have realized the emphasis on exercise and nutrition. I had this feeling that I would get some instruction about what it was like to live and act like a woman, but I didn't expect the other.”

Gary laughed heartily. “No one ever does. They see the cryx and imagine it is a magic wand that covers over the multitude of sins. But it only can reflect what you do as a man.” I think for a minute then continue. “I have to confess that there are some things I am not enjoying – other than the way Victor kicks my ass. I don't enjoy all the etiquette that is expected of a lady. There seem to be so many rules. And I really don't enjoy the emphasis on abs either. Though all of it makes sense. I do have a question though. When am I going to learn what I will actually be doing?”

He walks without an answer at first. Finally, he says, “I will be closely monitoring your progress. Your BMI must reach a certain number. You will have to complete the fashion project. There will be a test on feminine etiquette. You will be judged on your grooming as a man. As you complete each task you will move into different classes. There will be classes on company protocol. You will be introduced to some of your products. You might receive driving instructions for the city. You might also get a walk through on city maps, etc. At the end of the orientation time, you have to have a perfect score on every item. “

I look at him startled – frightened – even worried. “He gently reassures me. You will do fine. I think you will be one of the ten who will succeed. You have the drive and the interest. You just needed something that excited you and moved you. I think you have found it with us.” I grin broadly. “I think you are right, Gary. I think you are right.”

That night Rebecca and I lay in bed after a night of love and passion. Rebecca is talking about the day. “I really like Gary's wife, Dawn. She has been lots of fun. I haven't had someone want to spend that much time with me since we moved here. She is upfront and answers every question the best she can. She has helped me with my exercise, my nutrition, and my shopping. She was telling me that Fashionable feels if its family are happy and fit its employees will be happy and fit. I really enjoy the personal nutrition plan the company website helped me and you all with.”

I kiss her on the forehead and smile at her. “I am really glad. I was nervous at first. We had so many jobs with promises of friendships like this, but this is the first time we have had such a warm situation. I think Fashionable feels very much like a good fit.” With that, exhausted from the secretive workout that Gary and Dawn and family kind of threw on us down at the harbor, we both turned over and fell asleep.

Sunday was a quiet and peaceful day. After my honey do list chores were finished, I sat out on the deck, drinking my fourth glass of water. Rebecca is beaming. “I can't believe I actually had you home and to us all weekend. I could get used to this. It is rough having you gone for such a long time during the week. But when you are with us like this all weekend, it makes this so much more enjoyable. I smile back as I watch the kids run around. I want to sit and take it easy, even when my daughter Rachel asks me to play baseball with her. But I can hear Victor in my head. “Over the weekend, remember to keep this up. The more you do away from here the faster this process will move along. If your children want you to throw a ball, get up and throw the ball. If they want to walk or bike, get off your chairs. Think about the end of the road and make sure you are doing what it takes.”

That evening, we watch the news and Rebecca prepares me for her week. She and Dawn will be doing more exercise and shopping. I imagine I have more exercise and assignments ahead of me. I am surprised how much the things they are teaching will help me whether I am a man or a woman. I needed to lose weight and get my younger body back. I needed to think more about the way I dress and groom. I needed someone to help me bring back some discipline to my life. I had fantasized and imagined my way to this point. This was no fantasy. This was hard work and dedication.

*****
I am two months into my orientation. I am moving along well, at least according to Gary. I had started my time at Fashionable at 5 feet and 7 inches. I weighed 255 pounds. I hadn't gotten taller, but I had lost nearly forty pounds. My BMI was still obese. I had presented three outfits to Gary as a preliminary idea to get feedback and advise. He advised me regarding the way I combed and did my hair. He was very pleased with the way I kept my face clean of certain deformities. He was pleased that even my toes looked better managed. Overall, I was progressing.

But I was depressed. I needed to lose easily another thirty to forty pounds. I was intimidated by the fashion project. I was concerned about what he or others might think about my looks. I said so to him. He laughed at me – it wasn't a cruel laugh. “Don't you see it?” He said. “You are progressing. You are concerned now how people see you: from your physique, to looks, to even the way people interpret your body language. All of this is what is going to lead to the finished product. If you are worried about your physique, I would suggest that you spend some time at the place in Waukegan that our ladies have been going to. But stay at home on Sunday. Make sure you are with your family.”

Gary helped me and encouraged me through that plateau. By the time, we got to the three month evaluations. I had lost an additional fifteen pounds that month. I was hovering around 200 pounds. I still had work to do. I had some good news. Jeremy had accepted my three outfits. I had passed fashion. I would move on to fashion 2. I had passed Feminine Etiquette as well. Grooming was something that the company would continue to monitor with everyone.

After consultation with Gary, I had a new schedule for the next three months.

He and his supervisor were pleased with my weight loss, but felt now we needed to push harder in Cardio. They were excited by my ability to pick up fashion and etiquette. I did better there than some others. I was curious about the newest class added to my schedule: Practicum. That it turns out was led by a new face: Robert.

“Hello class. Today, we will be doing the most uncomfortable things yet. But this is important. You are expecting to become women. You will need to learn how to dress, how to accessorize, how to walk and move like women. It will be imperfect, but this will help you to assimilate into the world with the cryx.”

The class was dress up. We were sent into a closet one at time. We were told a situation. We were supposed to pick the outfit and wear the clothes. We dealt in wigs. We wore make up. The class sometimes would meet on Practicum. At other times it would spill into Grooming. We would stand awkward and fearful before our peers. But then each peer would fill out a sheet. We were to judge the situation for the outfit. We judged presentation and the ability to pass.

Gary told me, “Part of the purpose is that each of you learns to discern what others are wearing and why as much as to give you practice wearing these clothes.”

After the Fourth Month, I was evaluated by Gary's supervisor, Ron. Ron was a Vice-president of associate training. My BMI was at 25.7, a weight of 169 pounds. I was active and stronger than ever. Ron was a little preachy on this point. “For a man a BMI of slightly overweight is almost ideal. But a woman will appear undesirable in certain areas. One thing you will have to remember is that women have different ways they are judged than men. Keep it up.”

Later Gary said, “You have passed every item but BMI. They will probably kill you these next two months. But you are close – so close.”
He was right. They took away more of the Grooming – all but one and had pounded cardio into all of us. So far, only one of us had reached the ideal BMI. But by the end of the fifth month, I was evaluated again. With a month to go, I had reached a normal BMI. If my BMI remained stable, I would be eligible to take the final test.

There were five of us this last month who had reached our ideal weight. Our schedule focused more on yoga and abs at this time. Let me tell you that this is much easier than it was five plus months ago. We moved back to two cardio sessions a day. Those were replaced with more practicum. Everyone was partaking in a new class, Company Protocol. We began to hear and learn more about the cryx itself.

During Study Hall, another recruit, named Justin and I were talking about everything we had been through. The two of us had lost the most weight, but were often cast aside by Jacob and some of the others as not as masculine as the rest of the group. We were each talking about the power of the cryx. One plastic replica we had been able to wear in one of our classes, it appeared like a diamond, but in one he had warn for practicum that day, it looked like a blue emerald.

Just then, Jacob and Alex walked by. “Hey, girls, want to go out on a date with us tonight?” Justin started grinding his teeth. I said, “I’m not sure you would do much for my girlish figure I said as he walked past.” He and Alex looked back with evil sardonic grins, but continued on their way. When they were out of earshot, I mumbled to Justin. “That is the stupidest joke ever. What do those two goons think we are here for? To become the Incredible Hulk?” At this Justin visibly relaxed. I patted his hand gently.

Justin sighed. “I really thought that by coming here I would finally be among people like me – not so many jerks. I didn’t realize that they would be here too, among guys who are hoping to become what they are teasing us for.” “Don’t worry about it, Justin,” I told him. We have bigger things to focus on than those two.

It was after this event especially that Justin and I became fast friends – better friends than either of us ever had. While Gary and his family started drifting away – he had his own training going on for something mysterious it seemed. Justin and I got together on weekends. He lived North and west of Chicago. At one time, our families got together in a northern suburb. And it was a miracle that his wife and my wife hit it off and all our kids seemed to really like each other as well.

As the weeks would go Justin and I would endure constant teasing. Each of us looked more and more feminine while Alex and Jacob and one of the others become more and more masculine. I guess they always had that in them, but just needed help to bring that side of them out. And we – of course – were not men or women in their books.

up
180 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

That's interesting, He and

That's interesting, He and Justin are getting femine, while Alex and Jacob are more masculine. Steroids in the food? Why?

Hugs,
Karen

Strange training

Jamie Lee's picture

This has to be the strangest company training I've ever heard about.

Most company training concentrates on the job the person will be doing, such as sales, tech support, etc.

But the training that's being experienced in this story is dealing more with the development of the individual. Some jobs do require the employee not exceed a certain weight due to weight limits of the equipment being used. But needing to attain a certain BMI? Or knowing how to choose the correct female outfit, or how to portray feminine actions?

And then the remarks of Alex and Jacob, and their own masculine development? Two men are increasing their mass while two are being rated on the mass they lose.

Real squirrelly training at this company.

Others have feelings too.