Discovery, Chapter 6 of 15

Printer-friendly version
Discovery, Chapter 6 of 15

By Portia Bennett

Introduction: What is discovery? Perhaps it’s finding something that you didn’t know existed. Maybe it’s finding a hidden treasure. Maybe it’s finding out something about yourself that many were aware of but you just didn’t know it.

It didn’t take much to get Manny to seek out the psychologist Maria recommended. Manny is very impressed and opens up with her. She explains his options. Doing nothing is always an option, but that is not his choice. He will go forward, but when?


 

This work is copyrighted by the author and any publication or distribution without the written consent of the author is strictly prohibited. This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance of the characters to persons living or dead is coincidental.


 

Discovery

 

Chapter 6

It puzzled him briefly. Everything Gerry had said to him was probably designed to scare him. He told her it did, but now he wasn’t sure. He’d done his research. Everything she’d told him was dead on. She didn’t exaggerate one thing, and in fact probably understated some things. This was serious, deadly serious, and yet it felt good. He felt he was finally finding a solution to what had been bothering him for so long; something he hadn’t realized was bothering him until just recently.

Suddenly, another problem hit him. What would his employers say if and when he came out to them? They might can him on the spot. This was Arkansas after all: a state not known for its liberal approach to the LGBT community. Well, the urban communities, Little Rock and the northwest, were allegedly more liberal; however, he hadn’t been to either. He certainly wasn’t going to let that bother him. He couldn’t. He had no intentions of stopping what seemed to be gaining momentum. Unless he was totally delusional about what he had been presented with, he was going forward.

“Hey Manny,” Shirley said getting Manny’s attention from his duties in the equipment shed. “John and I were wondering if you’d like to go to Little Rock with us. We have tickets for the Arkansas Symphony Orchestra. It’s their Beethoven and Blue Jeans concert, so you wouldn’t have to dress up. They just finished the remodeling of their auditorium and the place is fabulous. Mike and Linda usually go with us, but they are going to California for that conference. We have a suite at the Capital Hotel. You would have your own room. What do you say?”

“Thank you, I think I would love to.”

The trip to Little Rock was right at two hours, and they pulled up to the Capital Hotel while it was still light. After leaving their car with the valet, John checked in, and they took their small roller bags to their room. Manny had to borrow one.

Apparently, everything had been worked out well before hand. Dinner was at a very nice restaurant a few blocks down President Clinton Boulevard. It was Friday night and the place was jumping. After an excellent breakfast on Saturday morning, they visited the Clinton Library and the Historic Arkansas Museum. After more than they could eat at a great barbecue restaurant, they visited the Central High School Museum.

The Bar and Grill at the hotel offered an excellent pre-concert menu. From there they walked two blocks to the auditorium where they took in an all-Beethoven concert. It started with the Consecration of the House Overture, and then a wonderful rendition Beethoven’s Fourth Piano Concerto. After the intermission and a glass of wine, they sat through a very good performance of the Eroica, Symphony No. 3.

“That was great,” Manny remarked as they walked back to the hotel.

“The night is still young and there’s a place we go to after the concerts. It’s a lot of fun. Shirley and I like to dance. It’s an interesting place. They’ll fetch the car for us at the hotel and we’ll head down there. It’s only a couple of miles, and I think you will find it interesting.”

Heading west on Highway 10 they briefly skirted the Arkansas River before losing site of it.

“What’s that building?” Many asked indicating a large building on a hill.

“That’s the headquarters for Dillard’s Department Stores. Where we’re going is just ahead.”

Shortly, John turned by some ballparks and headed towards a row of warehouses. There were cars parked everywhere. As they drove by the lighted entrance, Manny could see several clusters of folks milling about. They finally found a parking spot at what seemed to be a block away. It was in a well-lighted parking lot for a closed building.

A group was just entering the lot as the parked. Manny had assumed they were four girls until they started to get into the car next to them.

“Oh my, I just realized those were guys. They had me fooled for a minute. What is this place?”

“This is Discovery. It’s an interesting place. We have plenty of time to have a few drinks and gawking. Shirley and I might dance a bit. The drag show starts at 12:30. Those four guys are strictly amateurs. I imagine they’re college students just having fun. They’d never be close to passing; however, some of the drag queens are very good at what they do. You’ll be amazed.

John picked up the cover charge as they entered. There were cops everywhere, inside and outside. The place was booming and the music was loud. There had to have been four or five hundred people milling about, having a good time, drinking, chatting up, etc. The place was alive. A separate room with a DJ was obviously for dancing.

“Who’s that?” Manny asked pointing to a portrait.

“That’s the owner. He was Miss Gay America many years further back than he’d like to remember.”

“My God, I never would have known.”

“Okay, this place,” Shirley said as they sat at a small table against one of the walls, “is mostly for the straight crowd who wants to have a good time. The crowd’s about 80 percent straight. Over there,” she said pointing past the stage, “there is another bar called Triniti. It’s open only on Friday nights. This place is open only on Saturday nights. The clientele there is about 80 percent gay. John and I tried it out last year, but it was just a bit much for me. Even our son and his husband said it was a bit much. This place, though, is fun to come to every once in a while.

“You’re not gay are you?” Shirley asked. “I didn’t think you were.”

“No, I’m not gay,” Manny said quietly.

The drag show was quite entertaining, and one of the performers had been at one of the many bars Manny passed when going to the restroom. He’d not caught on that she was a ‘he’.

They slept in after dragging themselves in at 3:00 AM. The brunch was quite acceptable. They were too late for the complimentary breakfast.

***

It was now or never time. Manny had made up his mind that he would have to tell the Boyds and Crawfords about the life changing events he was facing. He asked them if he could meet with them after the tasting room and store closed.

All were gathered in the small office when he walked in. There was a bit of a questioning look on Mike’s face when Manny looked at him in the eyes.

“I thought this was going to be difficult when I decided to tell you something about me, something that had been pretty much hidden except to the members of my family and close friends. Maybe it won’t be.

“As you are aware, I’ve been seeing someone in Fort Smith for several weeks about certain issues. Primarily, the purpose of my visits was to determine if there was something wrong with me, and if there was, what should I do about it.” He caught a slight smile growing on Shirley’s face.

“The interesting thing is I found out there really isn’t anything that wrong that can’t be fixed. What I found out, verified is that I’m transgender.”

He waited for the ax to fall.

“Thank God,” Shirley said under her breath.

“I think I will start the transitioning process soon. There are still a number of things I’ll need to take care of before I do. I knew I had to tell you. If this is something that is not in accord with what you feel, I will have no problem moving elsewhere.”

“You will do no such thing,” Linda Boyd said rather firmly. “We are your extended family. We are here for you as long as you want us to be. Your mother can’t be here for you all the time, and I know she wants to be involved. However, Shirley and I will be by your side every step of the way, and Mike and John will be, too. If anyone here tries to give you any shit about this they will be finding jobs elsewhere.”

“No one seems to be too disturbed about my announcement. May I ask what’s going on?”

“We’ve known since the first summer you were here,” Shirley said. “Your uncle called John when he found out you were going to be working here. He told us to watch after you. He didn’t say exactly why.”

“You know my Uncle?”

“Quite well. John and Ben worked together for the same organization for nearly 30 years. We keep in touch.

“As far as you’re concerned, we were pretty certain that first summer. A woman knows these things. We’ve just been hoping you’d tell us so we could help you. Now that you’ve told us, we start right now.

“Part of the other night was a test. We wanted to see how you’d react. You passed with flying colors. Now, you are in our hands.”

“What do you mean? I mean ….”

“There will not be any testing the waters with your toes. As of right now you are no longer Manfred Argerich. The question is, who are you?”

“At least I’m ahead of you on this one. I am Emmanuelle Allison Argerich, but you may call me Mannie.

=================================

The decision is made. His friends and family are behind him all the way. Manfred Argerich has ceased to exist, The journey begins.

up
188 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The last to know

It seems like Mannie was the last one to know. I'm not sure that feels right, but I can understand how a vague feeling of something not right can hide the truth when you have not been come across the reason. I know I felt like a dodecagon in a world of circles and squares, just didn't know why.

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

Well Mannie should have some

Well Mannie should have some real support in getting his ID, and other documents in order with these four assisting her. Very nice that they all kind of knew and were looking forward to "her arrival" at their doorstep.

Thank you,Portia,

Our Manny is away on the long road ahead ,with all those bridges to cross ! A wonderful story and so true.

ALISON