What Milsy Did -4-

Printer-friendly version

A tense standoff is resolved by the Queen and then Milsy has to consider what these two men can do for her. She struggles to understand the routine of the palace and realizes she has some important gaps in her education.

What Milsy Did

A Tale of Anmar by Penny Lane

4 - Settling In


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2016 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



Milsy stared at the two men before realizing what the situation appeared to be.

"Me? I'm not an imposter! But..."

She immediately understood several things. First, these two must have permission to come visit Garia's suite for some reason. Second, that Tord had let them in which meant he knew them and that they had sufficient status to get past him. Third, that by herself she could never convince them of the truth and that only three people could resolve the problem.

She sighed internally. Yet more people who must needs know the secret.

She turned to Tord. "Tord, since you have permitted these people into my chambers they must needs learn the truth, which means you must send for the King, the Queen or Captain Merek to make answer."

Tord saluted. "Milady, I could not prevent them entering. You are right, there is no other way."

He turned and spoke to someone in the sitting room out of Milsy's vision. She turned her attention back to the two men, who had listened carefully to this exchange.

The older man must have been in his mid-thirties and had a small build. The younger was taller and might have been about her age or perhaps a year or so older. He was similar in build to the Prince but did not seem to have Keren's athletic fitness. For some reason, this one kindled an instant interest inside her and she hoped that he would not be banished from her chambers on learning the truth. Both men were dressed similarly, but she did not know what this might mean. She was unfamiliar with the sort of attire normally worn in the palace by people who were not obviously just plain servants so did not know who or what they were.

"So," the older one said. "You are here by permission of the King or Queen and you wear the semblance of the Guildmistress." He smiled at Milsy. "We intended no insult, Milady, if that is what you are. We were surprised to find somebody here other than the Guildmistress, that is all."

The younger cocked his head. "If you are here, Milady, then that means that the Baroness is not. Is this, perhaps, some subterfuge?"

Milsy shook her head. "Masters, I cannot say anything at all to you. Since I do not know you, I cannot know what might be safe for me to tell you. We must needs wait for someone with greater authority than myself to make answer."

The elder man nodded, following which the five in the room just stared at each other in uncomfortable silence. It occurred to Milsy to wonder why the men were there.

"Might I ask what it is you do in these chambers, Masters?"

The older one looked animated. "Why, Milady, we examine those objects and items which the Guildmistress had with her when she came to Alaesia. They were made using methods and techniques presently unknown to the Guilds of Palarand. See, here they are on the table." He gestured.

Milsy turned and was struck by the strangeness of what was there. Clothing of colors, materials and textures she had never seen before. Shoes - were they indeed shoes? - of an impossible white and a complex construction. Some kind of bracelet with a large, round flat crystal on the top and a flat pouch of what might be leather. All had been pulled out of a large bag the men had presumably found somewhere, probably the dressing room.

Those clothes don't look right for Garia! Why, those shoes... are far too large, they are more Prince Keren's size.

Is this what she wore on Earth?

"I must admit, Masters, I find myself interested," she admitted. "However, I cannot say anything until we are all satisfied that we may trust each other."

The older man inclined his head. "We understand, Milady."

When Milsy began to get worried that the impasse would go on for ever, sounds came from beyond and then Terys and Kenila both appeared in the bedroom doorway... dressed in fluffy gowns. Tord stood aside and saluted as Terys took in the situation.

"Ah! I did not expect... We have been back in the palace barely a bell and already there are complications!" Terys turned to the two men. "Fulvin, Tarvan, you were not to know what has transpired while we were in Dekarran. You are here to examine Garia's belongings, I deem?"

The elder of the two bowed. "Your Majesty, we are. I must apologize if our presence here is unwelcome. I regret that I did not understand your guardsman's reluctance to permit us to enter and I overrode his authority." He spread his hands. "After all, we have frequently visited these chambers when the Guildmistress was here and she has welcomed us on every occasion."

The younger added, "Ma'am, we did not expect Lady Garia to return with you and the King. We understood that she was to travel north to visit her lands. We thought these chambers to be empty for some weeks."

What they carefully haven't pointed out, Milsy thought, is that Garia isn't here but I am, and I'm obviously pretending to be her.

"I see." Terys thought briefly before gesturing. "Come, all of you, into the sitting room. Like those you see before you we were in the middle of changing so I will keep this brief."

Everybody followed the Queen into Garia's sitting room and gathered round her.

"While we were in Dekarran Garia was attacked by four men who attempted to kidnap her."

The younger man drew in a deep breath at this statement.

"She managed to kill one of the men while Jenet put out the eye of another. The other two ran off since they did not know what either woman was capable of."

"Ma'am, that is shocking news! Are the Guildmistress and her maid hurt? Is that why another takes her place?"

"No, Fulvin, neither is hurt, except maybe Garia's pride. After the attack, the King declared that Garia was too vulnerable to be allowed to continue north and thus she has returned with us to the palace."

The two men cast confused looks at Milsy. "But..."

"So far as everyone is concerned," Terys continued, "Garia has returned to the palace, and will resume her normal duties as she did before but regrettably with a strong escort about the corridors and chambers. Thus, the attention of her enemies is turned in this direction while in reality Garia has indeed traveled north but in disguise herself. She also has a strong escort of her own men, only Tord of her armsman has returned to the palace with her double."

"Ah." The elder nodded. "A clever stratagem, Ma'am. But, surely, the double, as you name her, cannot be capable of all that the Guildmistress can do."

"The double is named Milsy and was recently a servant in the castle kitchens at Dekarran. She does not practise unarmed combat nor does she yet ride, and naturally she does not have the knowledge that Garia bears. Despite that, Fulvin, you may discover that she has unexpected talents of her own. I must caution you both, however. What you do within these chambers is by your own judgement but anywhere else you must name her Lady Garia and treat her as if she were the Baroness herself. Her life may depend upon your ability to deceive others. Do I make myself clear?"

Fulvin bowed. "It shall be as you command, Your Majesty."

"And you must tell no-one else of the substitution. So far as the palace is concerned, Garia has returned and will be kept in seclusion for some days, before resuming a limited selection of her activities. If any inquire you must not tell them the truth but refer them to me or to Captain Merek."

"Ma'am, we would never betray such a confidence! We Guildsmen know how to keep secrets and the Guildmistress is important to all Palarand. It shall be as you command."

"See to it that you do, both of you. It may be that those who sought Garia both here and at Dekarran will make further attempts to obtain her. While Milsy assumes the appearance of Garia she is at much at risk as Garia herself would be." Terys considered briefly before adding, "It may be possible in time for Milsy to go about the palace in the seeming of a servant. She plays one part already, she may be able to play others. That is all I would add for now. If you would excuse us, Kenila and I must make ourselves ready for the evening meal. Of course, Milsy will be taking her meals in her suite for now but she must needs still attire herself appropriately."

The two men bowed low and watched as Terys swept out of the chamber followed by her maid. Once the door had closed, they instantly turned to Milsy.

"M- Ahem! Milady," the older began. "If you would excuse our earlier confusion. The circumstance is unprecedented."

"It was likely to happen," Milsy replied. "I couldn't reside in a place like this palace without meeting anyone at all, could I? Perhaps we had better formally introduce ourselves. As Her Majesty told you, my real name is Milsy and I was but a kitchen servant before she asked me to perform a great service for the King."

The older man bowed. "I am pleased to meet you, Milsy. Knowing the risks you take diverting attention away from the Guildmistress, I have great respect for the task you have undertaken and we will do anything we may to assist in your efforts. For my part, I am Guildsman Fulvin, presently serving the palace as the Royal Jeweler. With me is Tarvan, a senior journeyman who is soon to attain his own mastership, but in a new craft of which I know little. Perhaps he should best explain it himself."

The younger man bowed and gave her a smile. "The Guildmistress has introduced me to secrets previously unknown on Anmar, concerning electricity and magnetism. I presently serve her in the investigation and construction of devices which may soon change the way we do things in Palarand."

"Electricity? I think I remember that word. Garia spoke briefly to me of that subject but," Milsy smiled, "without seeing any devices the words mean little. I understand her to mean that it has something to do with lightning?"

"That is so, Milady, but..." He remembered where he was. "Forgive me. This is not the time or place to speak further of such matters. You are not dressed, we should withdraw and allow you to continue making yourselves ready. We forget you have just endured a journey of two days to reach the palace."

"That is true, Guildsman." Milsy's eyes narrowed in thought. "If you are supposed to be working closely with... the Guildmistress... then, I deem, I should be seen to do the same, would you not agree? Perhaps you should... attend me tomorrow morning after breakfast and we can make some arrangement which will satisfy all parties."

Fulvin bowed. "An excellent idea, Milady. With that thought and by your leave, we will depart now." He stopped, struck by a thought. "If you have no objection, Milady, we will take these garments and other items away with us, that you might not become distracted."

As he began loading the things back into the bag, he noticed the expression on Milsy's face.

"Ah, we will be certain to bring them back when we return tomorrow morning," he added. "I see that you desire to examine these items as much as we do but you must needs prepare yourself for the evening meal."

Milsy's eyes narrowed but she could find nothing to object to so merely nodded.

"Having met the... Baroness recently, it would be interesting to see what she wore when she arrived. Until tomorrow, then."

Milsy and Bursila watched the two guildsmen withdraw before Milsy turned to Tord.

"I don't think it was your fault, Tord," she said, "because you obviously recognized those men and you knew they were not going to be a threat."

"As you say, Milady."

"The problem I see is that there may be others in the palace whom you recognize who might be a threat. The first attack on Garia, wasn't one of those men supposed to be a footman known to Jenet?"

"Indeed, Milady," Tord said, nodding. "I take your point. Though it may be difficult, we must try harder in future. But how are we to know friend from foe?"

"I have no idea, Tord. This is not a circumstance I have faced before. In the castle, you naturally assumed that all you met who were dressed as servants were friendly, or at least not about to kill or kidnap you. Here, though there are many dressed as servants, there are as many who are not. I do not know who to trust."

"I will think on the matter, Milady," the armsman replied. "For now, I suggest that I had better depart so that you may attire yourself before your food arrives."

"Of course."

Tord left and Milsy and Bursila retired to the dressing room to find something to wear. Milsy decided that, despite having to remain in her suite for the rest of the day, it would be interesting to try out one of Garia's evening gowns to see what it felt like.

"It makes you feel different, doesn't it?"

"Milady, I have rarely worn a long gown, except during the festivals at South Reach. If you would not mind an opinion, this one might not be so suitable for your figure and color. I do not believe that I have ever seen Lady Garia wearing it, though she may have done so before Lady Merizel and myself came to the palace."

Milsy studied herself in the metal mirror. "Aye, I see what you mean. I will wear it this evening, though, to see what difference it makes. This is the first time I have ever worn a long gown too, except when we were trying on some of Garia's clothes at the castle."

A knock came at the door of the suite and Milsy remained in the bedroom as Bursila directed the servants to take the food trays to the sitting room table. Once the coast was clear she joined the maid at the table, sighing with pleasure as she saw the forks provided for each to use.

"If Garia brought only one thing to Anmar, and that was forks, that would be enough," she said. "It makes such a difference to mealtimes, do you not agree?"

"As you say, Milady. This evening's meal appears to be river foti followed by sliced ganifil, I deem. You will be able to compare the work of the palace kitchen with that of Dekarran."

Milsy smiled. "I'm not going to run a competition, Bursila. It looks good enough to me." She frowned. "Do we just get something random for each meal, do you know, or can we choose? I remember there was a choice when we ate in Garia's suite in Dekarran."

"It is the same here, Milady, but now that you mention it I perceive a problem. A list of what will be prepared each day is made available to those who desire to eat in their chambers, but of course neither of us will be able to read it. The problem is that both Lady Garia and Lady Merizel can read."

Milsy pursed her lips as she scooped up some diced vegetables.

"I hadn't thought of that. We don't have to make a similar choice for breakfast, I'm guessing?"

"As you say, Milady. Most of us, nobles and servants, eat what I would call a normal breakfast of grain porridge followed by bread, cheese, sliced meats and fruit but most have preferences. As I recall, portions of all are customarily brought, together with pel and occasionally wine or beer if a man is present. Breakfast should not cause us any problems tomorrow."

"That's good," Milsy said with a sigh of relief. "That means we have until lunchtime tomorrow to work out a way to order food without having to read the list."

The meal was good and Milsy was relieved that she didn't have to share with the others as she had done in the castle. The quantities had been enough for all but it meant that sometimes the choice of items had been more limited. Here they were two people eating a meal intended for two.

Once they had finished Milsy retreated again to the bed chamber, in order to be out of the way when the trays were collected. Bursila pulled a rope and servants appeared to dispose of the remains of the meal. After the door was closed behind them Milsy returned to the sitting room, finding an armchair to relax in.

"That's that! We're now both officially back in the palace and everyone is adapting to the new routine. Bursila, you might as well sit down somewhere. Garia would have it so, wouldn't she?"

Bursila gave in to the inevitable and sat on one of the other chairs, although she didn't appear to be comfortable doing it.

"As you say, Milady."

Milsy looked around. "I think this is going to be my biggest problem," she remarked. "Because I'm going to be spending all my time in here it's going to get boring very quickly, I deem. What do noble ladies do in the evenings, Bursila?"

"I cannot answer for all, Milady, but at South Reach Lady Merizel attended her family in the evenings. Much of the time would be spent in conversation about many kinds of matters but Lady Merizel must needs spend some time in needlework and embroidery. Occasionally there would be visitors or her father would hold gatherings or there would be some kind of celebration. I must confess, though, it was never as exciting as life has been since we came to the palace."

"I can believe that! Garia is just so different, isn't she? That doesn't solve my problem, though. Even though I'm in the palace there isn't much for me to do. I don't think I would find embroidery to be satisfying. If we could find someone reliable to teach me to read or write I could at least spend my evenings doing that, I deem."

"The Queen did say you could venture forth disguised as a servant, Milady. Mayhap you could use those occasions to learn the palace corridors. I would gladly accompany you to improve my own knowledge."

"Well, I'd never dare go out on my own! Although I have a reasonably good memory I don't think I would be able to find my way back in such a big building, especially as we are new to it. I would be glad to have company, Bursila."

Milsy continued looking around, her gaze finally coming to rest on the door beside the two windows.

"What's through there, Bursila? Do you know?"

"I do, Milady. There is a balcony which runs above the whole length of the courtyard, connecting all the suites on this side of the corridor. On the balcony are reclining seats where Their Majesties and anyone else who resides along here, together with their servants, take their nap after lunch each day."

"Really? Something else new, and something else Garia would already know, of course. That's worth knowing, Bursila, and thank you. We'll be ready tomorrow, then, once lunch is finished."

"As you say, Milady. I must add that it was customary for Lady Garia, Lady Merizel, Jenet and myself to be invited into the Queen's sitting room following our nap to be offered pel. There would often be conversation about both light and heavy subjects according to circumstance."

"Also worth knowing! Thank you again, Bursila." Milsy's attention shifted to the ropes hanging beside the fireplace. "Three ropes? I can't think of a single chamber in Dekarran that ever had more than one, though of course I didn't get the chance to inspect many. Do you know what they do?"

"I regret I do not know them all, Milady. The yellow rope summons servants, as when we needed the table to be cleared. I do not think I have ever been present when the others have been pulled and if I have I did not notice which one or what happened. If I may suggest that you ask the Queen tomorrow, Milady."

"I'll do that. Or, maybe, one of her maids. Didn't she say that Kenila would be helping us sometimes? She would know what those do." Milsy gave a wry smile. "It would be embarrassing to pull the wrong one and have the Queen arrive when all I wanted was a snack."

"As you say, Milady."

Milsy sat there for a while before her natural restlessness made her stand up and begin pacing. For someone whose life up until then had been almost entirely active, just sitting doing nothing was hard, especially when she knew she would be doing it for several more days. Finally she had had enough.

"Bursila, I don't think I can do any more tonight. Let's go to bed. At least we'll wake up early in case there are any more surprises waiting."

"As you desire, Milady."

In the bedchamber the two performed the necessary functions and then put on their nightgowns. Milsy frowned.

"Where is it that you sleep, Bursila? There are no servants doors like the ones in Garia's suite at Dekarran."

"Not so, Milady. Jenet has a closet, here."

Bursila opened an almost concealed door in the wall between the bed chamber and the sitting room. Milsy looked in to see a small windowless room with a bed either side and a small locker at the far end of each under a hanging rail. A few clothes belonging to Jenet were on one of the rails and on top of the locker underneath.

"I don't think much of that," Milsy sniffed. "I know servants don't have as much space as nobles do but this is little more than a storage closet!"

"It is sufficient, Milady. Do not forget, we are not expected to spend very much time in here, only when we are asleep. Normally, a maid would be attending her mistress."

"As you say, Bursila. It just seems mean to me."

"The palace is large, Milady, but not so large as Dekarran castle. Space is valued differently here in the Valley."

"As I'm learning, Bursila. Let's go to bed, then. Good night."

"Good night, Milady."

~o~O~o~

There was the usual confusion when Milsy awoke the following morning until she remembered where she was. She lay there thinking for a while as the light round the edges of the drapes became brighter, then climbed out of bed to take a look out the window. Pulling the drapes made enough noise that the door to the maids' closet soon opened and Bursila appeared, yawning and stretching.

"Milady. Good morning. What is it you look at?"

"Nothing, really, Bursila. I just wanted to see what it looked like outside our chambers. Do you have any idea what time it is?"

"I have not heard any bells so far, Milady, but I deem it is still early."

"Bells? Oh, of course, they will use a different system here, don't they?"

"As you say, Milady. When I moved to the palace with Lady Merizel it took a week or so before we became familiar with the new sounds. I am told that in some parts of the palace the bells are clear but in others they can barely be heard at all. I doubt not you will become accustomed to the sounds in time as all who work in the palace have done."

Milsy pulled a face. "Of course, the fact that I'm going to be restricted to these chambers for a week or more means that I won't need to know what bell it is, will I? It will give me a chance to become familiar with the sounds, though." She turned away from the window. "Should we be doing anything now? What about bathing? It still seems strange to me that I may take a whole bath every morning."

"If I may, Milady, I will ask those who wait outside our doors. They should have a better idea what time it might be. If we have not risen too early there will be hot water ready for our bath."

Bursila went to the door from the sitting room to the corridor and opened it, having a short conversation with somebody outside. She returned with a satisfied look on her face.

"Milady, we may bathe, if it please you. There is time for a bath and to do the Tai Chi before we must needs choose a day gown for you, and then I doubt not breakfast will be delivered."

"Let's get started, then. I want to make sure I do the Tai Chi forms right this morning, Bursila. It has been several days since we last did them."

"As you say, Milady."

Bathing proved straightforward and so did the Tai Chi but problems occurred in the dressing room. Despite having worn Garia's clothes for several days Milsy discovered she had a natural reluctance to share underwear. She was almost the same shape and size as the girl she was doubling for and this had been enough during the journey but certain body parts were differently proportioned. There were more personal reasons as well, of course.

"I'll have to put up with it for now, I deem, but I think I'll need to have my own bras. I really don't like wearing someone else's underwear."

"I doubt any woman does, Milady. Had there been time mayhap Rosilda might have produced some for you before we departed. I know that the bras at least take little time to make."

"Rosilda, of course! Let's see if we can get something done today."

"Milady, it will be needful in any event. One day you will no longer be required to act as double and therefore you will begin your own existence in the palace. All who live and work here have a tally in the Royal Wardrobe for their attire, you will need a like record."

"I had not realized that, Bursila. Most servants in the castle just find something that fits from out of the clean laundry though I imagine the nobles must needs have some kind of record for their attire."

"Perhaps, Milady. I could not say, since I know little about the way Dekarran functions... indeed, I know very little more about the functioning of the palace. Which gown will you choose today? It is not so cold within your chambers this morning, perhaps a lighter material like this one."

The selection of food which was provided for breakfast was not everything that was available but rather that which Garia customarily ate and drank. Milsy had no problem with this but was interested enough to wonder what else could be served.

"I'm not greedy, Bursila, I just want to see what else there is. Unfortunately Garia would already know so wouldn't ask but you're here and you wouldn't normally be. Perhaps we can make use of that fact tomorrow?"

"An excellent suggestion, Milady. For tomorrow's breakfast, I will ask for small portions of whatever else is available to be provided. It is true, I do not eat the same foods that Jenet would in like circumstance."

Milsy frowned. "Is that going to cause trouble, do you think? Is some spy going to notice that different food is being delivered?"

"I do not know, Milady. Perhaps we must needs ask advice."

Their first visitor once breakfast was cleared away was Captain Merek. He banged his fist on his chest before addressing Milsy.

"Milady, I trust you slept well?"

"Thank you, Captain, I did... we did. Can we do something for you?"

"Indeed, Milady. I have perceived a minor problem regarding those assigned to protect you. It needs a small adjustment but one I thought best to speak to you about before you noticed and became alarmed."

"Oh?"

"Milady, Tord is one of those who trained under... the other in unarmed combat. Those who she trained are intended to become instructors for the next round of training."

Milsy nodded. "I remember... the other explaining this to me. Go on."

"Since only Bessel has returned to train those in the palace, the others having been posted to the various Dukes, it was always planned that one or more of the Baroness's men would assist Bessel when they were in residence here. Tord is the only one presently available. It would mean that he would be absent for most of the morning each day, resuming his duties here after lunch. If this would be agreeable?"

It didn't take Milsy long to think things through.

"Captain, I'm sure you have thought of all the likely problems." Merek nodded. "And you're not proposing to take away all the men, just Tord, and for only part of the day."

"As you say, Milady."

Milsy shrugged. "If I am to spend most of my days in these chambers then it shouldn't really matter, should it? Thank you for informing me, though. I would probably have had some questions for you if he had just disappeared."

"I felt certain you would understand, Milady."

Merek bowed and turned to depart but before he could leave the door opened and the Queen arrived, accompanied as always by her maids. Milsy and Bursila curtseyed.

"Ah, Merek! Am I interrupting anything?"

"No, Ma'am. I have just informed the Baroness of the matter we discussed over breakfast." He bowed. "If I may be excused, I must needs make my way to the training halls."

"Of course, Captain."

As the door closed behind Merek the Queen turned to Milsy.

"Is everything as you desire, dear? Have you found your way about the chambers?"

"I think so, Your Majesty."

"I'm sorry that you have to be shut up in here, dear, but you know the reasons for our caution. I regret that the next few days are probably not going to be very exciting for you. If you think of anything then you must let me know."

"Let you know... Ma'am, Bursila and I were looking at those three ropes last night. Can you tell us what they do? I have never seen more than one in a chamber before."

"Ah, yes." Terys turned to regard the ropes, made of silk with fancy knots at top and bottom. "The yellow rope is the one that would normally be used to call servants from their room at the end of the corridor, should you need assistance or a message taken." She considered this fact for a moment before adding, "Of course, should you pull it now that may bring servants who do not know of your presence here, expecting the real Garia instead. Let me think about the matter before you use it in the future."

"We used it for the breakfast service, Ma'am, this morning. I stayed in the bed chamber while Bursila dealt with the servants. I can do that again if we need anything."

"Very well, but you must remember to be careful. Now the green rope rings a bell in my sitting room where the King, myself, or one of my maids might hear it. As you might understand, these suites were intended for the children of the King and Queen, so there might be occasions when they would desire to summon their parents directly.

"The blue rope was used by those children to summon those who are appointed to assist them as they grow from child to adult. I speak of nannies, governesses, tutors and the like. It rings in a sitting room in another corridor where those people would reside when not attending their charges."

"Thank you, Ma'am. I had not thought about those who would normally reside in these chambers. So... there's no point pulling the blue rope, I deem, and it would be best to avoid the yellow rope unless it is for the usual chamber functions."

"As you say, dear. If you need anything, then a reliable guardsman will always be outside your door to convey a message."

"And the green rope? Could I pull it if there is a need? Suppose somebody got in here who shouldn't."

Terys pursed her lips as she thought. "I would not rely on the green rope, dear, since our chambers are often empty." She smiled at Milsy. "We are usually somewhere else about the palace attending our people although we do occasionally conduct meetings in our sitting room. Something else for me to consider."

"As you say, Ma'am."

"Is there anything else you may have thought of? Any want or desire?"

"Ma'am, I believe that I must ask for underwear of my own. I cannot keep wearing that of the Baroness, though I wear her gowns."

Terys was startled. "Quite right, dear! I will ask Rosilda to call immediately. Our plan was thought of in haste, we could not consider every possible side effect. Leave that to me, dear."

"Thank you, Ma'am."

"And now I must needs depart, dear. On returning to the palace after a journey there are always many small matters which cause conflict or confusion and I must resolve all. You will be joining us on the balcony after lunch for our nap?"

"I will, Ma'am."

"Good. I'll leave you, then."

Milsy curtseyed again as she watched as the Queen swept out of the room.

up
283 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

"Please sir, I want some more"

http://Youtu.be/sZrgxHvNNUc

[You Tube video length is ten (10) seconds]

In view of her conversation with Bursila (and her future), shouldn't Milsy have asked the queen for two (2) additional things:

(1) Someone to teach her to read and write, and
(2) Some time with Kenila to learn the palace routine

After all, isn't Milsy supposed to be a very clever girl?

Great chapter, however, it left me (very) hungry for more...

I am eager to learn how Milsy

I am eager to learn how Milsy gets the keys that allow the to unlocking of her potential to grow from servant girl to GuildMistress.

Great story

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

Milsy is fast becoming more

Milsy is fast becoming more acquainted with the palace doings, even tho she is restricted at present to her rooms. Perhaps, since she failed to ask the queen for someone to teach her to read and write, she might be able to get Rosilda to assist her in finding someone who can do that.

Time

Remember, Milsy has been in the palace less than half a day so far and a good proportion of that was spent in sleep.

She is still trying to find her footing in this strange place and events will move slowly to begin with.

I had a problem deciding where to break the narrative and this seemed as good a place as some others, while keeping the chapter size to a manageable length.

Don't worry, you'll see the two Guildsmen soon enough.

Penny

Re:Time

In regards to chapter length, my personal preference is for (short/shorter) chapters posted on a regular basis rather than (longer) chapters posted on an infrequent or irregular schedule. I find that sometimes I have to reread several chapters to refresh my memory when there is a long period of time between chapters.

Hmmm,

I believe that I've read the first 40 or so chapters of SEE about a dozen times each (while I was waiting for the next chapter to come out). I actually like the 40-50KB size.

Chapter size

I've said this elsewhere but I'll summarize: I felt that 6,000 to 10,000 words was about right for chapter size. It allowed for sufficient story without making the reader dedicate half a morning reading through it.

Go larger and you end up with chapters like those of Elrod or Morpheus: Extremely engrossing but takes a chunk out of your day. Sometimes I can't deal with those for Real Life interruptions and I have to come back to them, sometimes more than once.

I have realized that many SEE chapters could probably have been chopped in two, but that presents other problems. One is that they would have to be published more frequently, which would cause other writer's efforts to be pushed off the front page, and the chapter count would now be in the 200-400 region! It would also cause me a lot more administration.

It may not occur to many readers but writing something other than a small story can result in significant overhead, and that overhead grows with your story or world. Actually, writing a small story, say 6 chapters, can be just as bad since it needs to be so tightly crafted. With SEE it is now necessary to re-read a number of chapters each time to make sure details mesh correctly and I would be lost without the gazetteer. All this takes time and some of us have other demands on our time.

I'm aiming to publish WMD about once a week but Real Life can obviously derail that plan. So far, I've been publishing about every 5-6 days since the early material will be familiar to most readers of SEE anyway. In the future, I have to make sure that developments occur at the same rate that SEE reports them to Garia in Blackstone. That means re-reading many SEE chapters to make sure I have my facts and dates right.

Incidentally, Julia has a similar problem with JoB. She recently told me she had to read 20 chapters to make sure something was correct. When you become a writer, writing is only part of the job.

Penny

Milsy is well reasoned

She is rapidly solving and acclimating by being observant and being able to find problems. She then analytically breaks down the problem into manageable chunks to solve it. That is why she will be an excellent engineer.

Seeds

So it seems as though the unexpected interruption by Fulvin and Tarvan may prove to be the genesis of the seed that grew into Milsy's specialism:

The younger man bowed and gave her a smile. "The Guildmistress has introduced me to secrets previously unknown on Anmar, concerning electricity and magnetism. I presently serve her in the investigation and construction of devices which may soon change the way we do things in Palarand."

With the pair expected to have regular meetings with Garia, it's possible Milsy may learn more about electrickery before she's allowed to venture out of Garia's chambers solo...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Something to do

Jamie Lee's picture

Someone needs to realize that Milsy needs something to do in order to combat the boredom that will build until she can leave her suite. If not, then as energetic as she is she might decide to do something which exposes the truth to those after Garia. And unless Garia varies her breakfast menu, then breaking her normal breakfast could alert someone.

Others have feelings too.