What Milsy Did -5-

Printer-friendly version

The two Guildsmen show Milsy the clothing which Garia wore when she arrived on Anmar, which amazes her greatly and results in an astonishing conclusion. Deficiencies in her wardrobe are discovered and Rosilda requested to remedy the omissions. Steps are taken to obtain reading lessons and Milsy's education about the routine of the palace continues.

What Milsy Did

A Tale of Anmar by Penny Lane

5 - The Guildsmen


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2016 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



The next bell was frustrating for both Milsy and Bursila. Once they had been through the contents of the dressing room there was little to do. One brief scare occurred when a servant appeared to present a menu for the day's meals to Bursila, Milsy just managing to move out of sight when this happened. The two stared at the chalk marks on the slate for some time without discovering any clues.

"That's that," Milsy said. "I have to learn to read, if only to discover what we are going to be fed! I'm sure it will be of benefit to you as well, Bursila."

"As you say, Milady. I have managed so far in my life without such knowledge but I have seen the difference it has made to both the Baroness and to Lady Merizel. I doubt not the Baroness is correct when she says that all should be able to read and write in future."

A knock came at the door and Milsy again retreated to the bedroom. Bursila admitted their next visitors and then came to announce, "It is the two guildsmen, Milady."

They came back! Perhaps I can make some use of their visits.

When she entered the sitting room the two men bowed.

"Good Morning, Milady," Fulvin said. "As requested, we are here to discuss how we may assist in the deception ordered by the King."

"Good morning, Masters," she said. "Please be seated." Once everyone was comfortable, she put her hands in her lap and tried not to inspect the younger man too closely. "Actually, it has occurred to me that there might be other things we could do for one another."

The younger man smiled. "Milady, it is the same with us. We talked and realized that your presence here may represent an... opportunity. If you would explain first what your own thoughts might be."

Milsy considered. Although she was naturally reserved there was no denying the fact that the Duchess had noticed her abilities and mentioned them to the Queen. On the journey down to the palace, the Queen had more or less said that Milsy was capable of being educated more than the rudimentary amount she had been given in the castle. The trick was to explain this without seeming too big-headed... and to do it while still being ignorant of almost everything.

"I don't know how to explain this," she confessed. "I'm not used to talking with anyone who has an education like yourselves, Masters. Duchess Vivenne... said that I was too bright to remain in the kitchens and it was the Queen who suggested that I could be used as a double for the Baroness. She - the Queen, that is - says that I could be as good as the Baroness only without all her knowledge from... the world she came from... if I had but the chance to learn. Only, I don't know enough to ask for what I want, since I don't yet know what I want. Does that make sense to you?"

Another smile from the younger man. "Aye, Milady, it is an example of what we call the avian-and-the-egg problem."

Milsy looked at him curiously.

"What we mean by that," he explained, "is that the question is, which comes first, the avian or the egg? An egg must needs be laid by an avian, but the avian must needs hatch from an egg! It is a puzzle which can only be answered by separating it into small parts. Perhaps you should begin by telling us your present needs, Milady."

"Well, that's easy! You see, we - Bursila and myself - have been asked to remain in these chambers for perhaps a week or so to aid the deception. Unfortunately there is very little for us to do. You should understand that when I was in the castle I would be busy for the whole day so I think it is going to be difficult for me to do nothing for a whole week."

He nodded. "As you say, Milady. I can understand that your present circumstances have changed greatly. Some of our own thoughts may provide an answer for you. If you would continue."

"Then there's the problem that we have to have all our meals in here. That isn't a problem by itself, since I don't really desire to eat with the King and Queen all the time, but, you see, that makes a problem of another kind." Milsy stood and fetched the menu slate, giving it to the younger man. "We have to choose what food is to be sent up and neither of us can read. When a servant comes to ask what we will choose, we may name something not written on the slate and they will immediately know we cannot read. Of course, both the Baroness and Lady Merizel can read, so they would be able to give proper answer."

"Ah! I see! Aye, that would be bad, since the substitution would become known." He gave her a knowing look. "I doubt not that rumor in the castle is the same as it is here in the palace, such knowledge would be everywhere before you could draw breath. You desire one of us to come each day and help you choose your meals, I deem?"

Milsy shook her head. "No, master, though I know we must needs ask that you do just that in the next several days. What I desire is that we may both learn to read, so that we may choose by ourselves."

Fulvin regarded Milsy with respect. "A sensible and well-thought request, if I may say so, Milady. You show thought I would not expect from one who previously only worked in a kitchen. However, I regret that learning to read is not a task that can be taught in so short a time, it will require you some weeks, months or even years of study. Do you understand this?"

"Aye, of course, Master. But I am told that the rewards will more than compensate and, I must repeat, there is little else for me to do in here for a week or two. Why not use this time that I have to begin a task that is needed?"

"As you say, Milady." Fulvin turned to the other guildsman. "My days are well-filled, I deem. I doubt I can provide the necessary time for such a task, neither am I a Scribe. What say you? Should we inquire of Pitchell? It would mean another knowing the secret."

The younger man shrugged. "Pitchell has the King's confidence, I do not think that telling him would be a problem. First, of course, we should consult Her Majesty." He glanced at Milsy and then added slowly, "It may be possible... for me to undertake the task, at least for some part of each day. While there are many procedures which I must needs complete each day, I may not make further progress without the presence of the Guildmistress. I can spare some bells to assist these two to learn their letters."

Milsy felt her cheeks heat at the guildsman's suggestion. What better way to find out more about him than to have him teach her to read and write? The older man was not convinced, however. It was a chance, true, but other chances might present themselves. After all, she had not even been in the palace for a whole day yet!

Fulvin looked at the other sceptically. "Are you certain, Tarvan? I deem that Guildmaster Parrel would not consider it a good use of your time or talents. Should you not leave the teaching of letters to those who are most qualified?"

Tarvan smiled. "Did we not discuss this before? If I teach them then no-one else needs know the secret. I have time, she has time. Let us make use of it while the opportunity exists. By the time that Guildmaster Parrel returns from the site of the new blast furnaces the problem may be moot."

Fulvin bowed. "As you wish, Tarvan." He turned to Milsy. "Though neither of us is a Scribe we will strive to begin your education, Milady. I said that we have spoken of other matters before we arrived and that is what we would speak of now. We may not do much while you are kept in these chambers, it is true, but it occurred to Tarvan that, once released, you could join him in the laboratory where he conducts his experiments. It is something that the Guildmistress would have done so in some respects we are keeping up the deception."

Tarvan added, "I do not know what abilities you have, Milady, but it maybe that you will be able to assist with the work I do in those chambers. Fulvin is right, to keep the pretence you must needs visit the laboratory in any event. Once there I can guarantee you will not be idle."

Milsy smiled. "Garia - uh, the Baroness - has told me what you have been doing there though I did not understand much of what she said. I would be delighted to join you, Master Tarvan."

Tarvan flicked a hand. "I am no Master, not yet, Milady."

A knock came at the door and it opened to admit Rosilda. She curtseyed to Milsy.

"I have a request from the Queen to attend you, Milady."

"Oh, yes, of course." She glanced at the two guildsmen. "Is there anything else I can do for you, gentlemen? I doubt you would be interested in discussing my underwear."

Fulvin reddened. "You might be surprised, Milady. It seems I am already seeing far too much of Rosilda and the other ladies of the Wardrobe in a professional capacity as it is." He picked up the bag at the side of his chair. "As promised, Milady, here is the bag containing... the original attire of... the Guildmistress. If I may give it to your maid and show her where it was stored in your dressing room?"

Milsy gave Rosilda a look and she replied, "Milady, has... the Baroness shown you her bras?" Milsy nodded. "Of course, you must needs wear one presently. Master Fulvin designed the little metal buckles which are sewn into each bra to adjust the shoulder straps. Since then he has been investigating the other fixings of... the Baroness's original garments."

Milsy looked at the bag. "Oh. Can I..?"

Fulvin lifted it from the floor. "Of course, Milady! If I may put the items onto the table."

As Fulvin walked towards the table Milsy asked Rosilda, "We're not delaying you, are we?"

"Not at all, Milady. I must needs measure you before lunch but I am always interested to inspect those garments that... the Baroness was wearing when she first came to us."

Milsy wasn't sure what to expect. There was a strange pair of trousers, some socks, something that looked like it might be underwear of some kind, a thin, close-fitting upper garment, the unusual shoes, the bracelet and the small leather folder she had seen the previous evening. All looked unusual enough that the hairs prickled down her neck. These were clothes from another world!

Milsy's eyes narrowed as she considered the implications of the items spread out before her. Despite being nothing like that worn by anyone she had ever seen, these were clearly clothing for a boy or man. Again she noted the shoes and then the size of the trousers. She herself was, obviously, about the same size as Garia and those trousers were far too large for her so what..? The conclusion she reached was stunning, but she decided to keep her thoughts to herself, covering by reaching for the upper garment.

"What's this? It doesn't feel like cloth."

"It is, so we are informed," Tarvan told her. "The material is apparently knitted in great lengths and then cut and sewn as cloth would be."

"Knitted?" Milsy brought the material close to her eyes and stretched it. The stitches, though incredibly tiny, were plain to her vision. "That's amazing! Do you have any idea how this is done?"

Tarvan gave her a regretful grin. "Not yet, Milady. Some kind of machine, so we were told. We believe that the Guildmistress intends to explain such ingenuity when she returns from the north. We are told that cloth such as this is produced in such vast quantities that garments are not made for each wearer, as a normal knitted garment would be, but simply produced in a range of different sizes and sold in shops for any to buy."

"The same is true for all her other clothes," Fulvin added. "If I may draw your attention to the trousers, there is a device here which interests me greatly, such that I wonder how it can possibly be made."

He lifted the trousers and pulled back the flap to show Milsy... what, exactly? A strange set of brass teeth, it seemed, decorating the front of the garment. Why, then, hide such a decoration under a flap? Fulvin pulled a small metal tab and the teeth parted, spreading apart as the little slide went to the bottom. Milsy was startled at first and then bent to examine the device closely. She looked at Fulvin.

"May I close this again? It does close, I believe?"

"Surely, Milady. I cannot think of such a device that would be used once only. Just pull this and observe."

Milsy pulled the tab and watched entranced as the teeth meshed together again. It required a tug near the top but that was to be expected.

"Amazing! This could not have been made anywhere in the Valley, I assume?"

"Milady, this could not have been made anywhere in Alaesia. The Guildmistress comes from much further away than that."

Milsy quickly inspected the other garments, frowning over the little labels sewn into each one. Then her attention switched to the other items, revealing a new marvel.

"There's something moving in here!"

"Aye, Milady," Tarvan agreed. "This is not a simple bracelet, as we first assumed, but a portable clock which permits the wearer to know the time wherever they may be. There are no bells, such as we are familiar with, but the little wires inside point to numbers which tell the owner what bell it might be. We are told that everyone on the Guildmistress's world wears such a device, indeed, this is a spare since her own was broken some time before she departed that world. Again, these are made in numbers we can scarcely believe and the price is so cheap that all may possess one."

Milsy examined the device. The crystal covering had cracked but she could clearly see three black wires inside, one moving slowly but steadily round. It was clear to Milsy that the other wires would also move, but so slowly the movement would not be noticed.

"What makes the wires move, masters? Do we know?"

"I can show you if you desire, Milady," Tarvan said, "though I do not think you will understand what you see. I certainly do not. I am told that it involves electricity but it is beyond my own small knowledge. Perhaps in some tens of years, we are told."

He turned over the device and by some means unscrewed a cover on the inside. Milsy bent close to look.

"Maker! Such tiny parts!" She turned to the guildsmen. "Can anyone in... Alaesia make such as this?"

Fulvin shook his head. "I am the Royal Jeweller, Milady, and I am experienced in making fine and delicate works for Their Majesties. I could not make anything so fine as this and I doubt any other could. This is beyond our knowledge."

Milsy straightened. "Masters, you have my full attention. If this is a sample of what the... Baroness provides then I desire to be part of it! Even if I may only be your humble assistant in your efforts I would learn everything you see fit to teach me."

Fulvin looked uncomfortable. "Aye, but you are a young woman and with little learning as yet. It is true that the Baroness has been rightly made Guildmistress for her knowledge but the way will be more difficult for one such as you. Do you understand this?"

"Of course, Master! But everyone must start somewhere, must they not? Just give me an opportunity and let me discover what I am capable of. That is all I ask."

Tarvan said, "Master, we will have plenty of time to determine what Milady can do. Let us first enlighten her with letters and numbers and that will show us what metal she is made of."

"As you say, Tarvan." Fulvin glanced at Rosilda. "Perhaps we should now depart and let our seamstress do that which brings her here."

"Aye, Master." Tarvan began putting all the items back in the bag. "Milady, we should go. If we tarry too long you will not be ready for lunch when it arrives."

Milsy gestured at the bag. "You're leaving that here? Do you mind if I look at the things again while you are not here?"

Tarvan shrugged. "These are the property of the Guildmistress, Milady. Since you presently occupy her chambers and wear her attire, I deem that you are probably considered to be the custodian of these items for the present. Guard them carefully, if you would."

"You need have no fear for them, Masters. I understand how precious they are."

Tarvan showed Milsy and Bursila where the bag was normally kept and then the two guildsmen bowed and departed. As the door closed Milsy remembered her original concern.

"Oh! Rosilda, if you would be of assistance. We must needs order for lunch and neither of us can read the slate."

"Of course, Milady. I know that not everyone may read who works in the palace... or in Dekarran castle. I heard Master Tarvan mention teaching you to read, the Guildmistress would like everyone to read in due time. Here, show me the slate and I will tell you what will be available."

That chore done and their choices memorized, they turned to the task of measuring Milsy for underwear. Rosilda nodded thoughtfully at the numbers on her own slate.

"Aye. It seems that you do require a different pattern for your bras, Milady, though the difference is small enough it should not affect the gowns you wear. I will attempt to make one for you this afternoon, for your use tomorrow, but I cannot promise further ones immediately. You were provided panties at Dekarran but barely sufficient for the journey south, so you will require more. We may obtain them out of stores, they are garments every woman requires. I will order sufficient for you to cover normal use and when Kalikan calls. Those will probably be delivered this afternoon."

Rosilda had a thought. "I will return this evening with your first bra, Milady, and at that time I will remove the undergarments that the Baroness would normally wear so that there is no confusion. It would not be wise to use the normal delivery and collection arrangements, too many questions would be asked. When the Baroness returns..." She shrugged. "Much may have happened by then, I deem. Do you expect to still be here when that happens?"

Milsy shook her head. "I don't know, Rosilda. Beyond this first week I have no idea what may be planned, or even if there is any plan. We'll just have to wait and see."

"As you say, Milady. In that case, I will leave you to dress yourself before the servant comes for your lunch order."

"Thank you, Rosilda, for all your help. I know all this is unusual."

Rosilda smiled. "I have worked with the Baroness for some time, Milady. I have become used to the unusual. Your own needs are modest by comparison."

"I know! I'm just discovering how amazing the Baroness is. I just hope that I can play my part as the King and Queen desire."

"So far you are managing fine, Milady. It is everyone else who must take care." Rosilda curtseyed. "I will leave you now, Milady."

Milsy watched as Rosilda departed and then turned to Bursila.

"We'd better get me dressed again, I deem. Do you know what time it is?"

"I have heard the three-quarter bell, Milady. Time enough to dress you and then make ready for lunch."

* * *

"Milady," Bursila said as they rose from table, "there is no need to hide while the lunch things are collected. If you would go through the door onto the balcony, you will be out of sight when the servants come."

"That's a good idea, Bursila," Milsy replied. "You'll join me presently? Oh, and you'd better tell our guardsmen where we are in case they have to come in and find the chambers empty."

"As you say, Milady. That had not occurred to me."

Milsy opened the door and slipped out onto the balcony. The courtyard below was square and paved with bricks in an ornamental pattern with a number of bench seats arrayed to one side. Around the edge was a cloister with a raised walkway covered on two sides by balconies and on the other by steeply tiled roofs. Above the balconies were also roofs, designed to keep the weather off the wooden surfaces. A long line of reclining seats lay under the windows of the rooms adjoining the balcony though as yet there was no-one else present.

She looked around, wondering who would lay where. Apparently their maids would also join them out here but she didn't know if there was any set order to who used which recliner. For a short while she just stood with one hand on the rail, looking out over the courtyard, until noises behind her announced that Bursila had joined her.

"Which one do I use, Bursila?"

"The Baroness uses the one nearest to you, Milady. Jenet usually takes the one behind, though when His Highness is present he sometimes takes that one. Lady Merizel takes the one facing you and I would normally be behind her."

"Complicated! Very well, let's try these out, then." Milsy frowned. "They don't look too comfortable."

"You will be surprised, Milady. I have not discovered any difficulty falling asleep on previous occasions."

"As you say. Of course, in Dekarran I would have been busy washing pots after lunch so no nap for me. This will be something of a novelty."

Milsy accepted the inevitable and lay down on the wooden recliner, finding it to be more comfortable than it had looked at first. She was beginning to zone out when the Queen appeared.

"Ah, I see you have already found yourself a place to lay." As Milsy struggled to sit up Terys added, "Do not rise, dear. We but await the King and then we will join you. Afterward we shall take pel in our sitting room and you can tell me of your morning."

"Thank you, Ma'am."

There was a minor disturbance when Robanar arrived but by then Milsy had almost succumbed to the warmth of the afternoon. It did not take her long to drift off completely.

When she awoke it was warmer but not uncomfortably so. The fierce heat of midsummer had long passed but the days were still mild this early into fall. Milsy sat up, feeling refreshed and wondering if she could get away with having a nap each day in the future, once she stopped pretending to be Garia. Movement in her field of vision showed that at least one of the Queen's maids had already risen. Soon sounds behind her suggested that Bursila was also awake.

"Ah, good, you have woken," Bursila came into Milsy's vision. "If you would permit, I will go and assist Varna with the pel."

"Of course, Bursila."

Soon she could see that the King and Queen were stirring so she swung her legs onto the planking and stretched before standing. Once she had stood up she followed them into their sitting room, finding a chair when the Queen gestured. There was a certain amount of disorganization while the maids served out pel and pastries before the Queen leaned forward.

"Have you solved your problems, dear? I remember you desired to speak with Rosilda."

Milsy nodded. "Thank you, Ma'am, they have." She saw that Robanar was interested so supplied a brief explanation. "Sire, as you may know women do not wish to share underwear. I had enough for the journey but now Rosilda provides more."

"You must needs have your own, my dear," he commented. "Even men do not share such garments, it is true. I trust all is arranged?"

"It is, Sire. It has been pointed out to me that eventually I will no longer be playing the part of Lady Garia so I must have my own tally in the palace wardrobe. Rosilda will arrange that in such a way that no comment is caused."

"Indeed," Terys agreed. "And you must know that the Wardrobe will supply you with all your attire while you remain with us, dear. I doubt you will require such interesting garments as Garia wears for her various activities but you will need everyday attire as we all do. Know that the Wardrobe will supply all."

"Thank you, Ma'am."

"And the guildsmen, dear? Did they visit this morning?"

"They did, Ma'am." Milsy suddenly felt diffident revealing a weakness. "Ma'am, I have asked them to teach me to read, since neither Bursila nor I can read the meal slate."

Terys and Robanar looked at each other.

"Husband, we did not consider that Milsy could not read. Shall we assign her a Scribe? She is right, it would be easy to notice if she could not name her meats for the meals."

Robanar turned to Milsy. "Why did you ask those two to help, if I may ask? There are others in the palace who may be much better qualified for such a task."

"Sire, I didn't know of any others. I thought it better to ask someone who already knew the secret instead of telling someone else. If a Scribe were to be provided then he would be seen coming to my suite every day and questions might be asked. Besides, the younger one - Tarvan - said that I should be visiting him in the... laboratory? Is that right? ...every day and that without the real Garia he would have time to spare to teach me. It seemed to make sense to me, Sire."

Robanar nodded. "As you say, my dear. It is an irregular use of a guildsman's time, it is true, but because Tarvan's work depends upon Garia's presence then it would be a suitable use of time otherwise wasted. It will also provide a reason for you to travel to the laboratory each day as Garia would. Aye," he smiled, "a clever idea, my dear."

"Thank you, Sire."

There was some further light talk and then Milsy and Bursila made their way back to their suite via the balcony. Once there Milsy went straight into the dressing room and pulled down the bag which contained Garia's Earth clothing. She went back into the bed chamber and emptied it out all over the bed. Bursila observed this with interest and a certain degree of anxiety.

"What is it you do, Milady?"

"I'm just having a good look at all this, Bursila, without those guildsmen hovering over me. I'm not going to damage anything, if that's what you are thinking."

She took every item from the bed and held it up to the light at the window, examining each piece thoroughly. Much puzzled her but a dawning suspicion was growing. She held the trousers up against herself, to get an idea of size, finding them far too long as she suspected.

"These clothes..." she said slowly.

"Milady?"

"These are men's clothes, Bursila." She looked at the maid. "They are not sized nor shaped for a woman, especially one of Garia's height. If Garia was wearing these when she came from Earth, then I deem she must have been a man! Is that possible? Was she a man before she came to Palarand?"

"Milady, it is true. She tells us that on Earth she was a man - boy, really - of about the Prince's age, size and build. I find it impossible to understand how this could be, yet these clothes prove that it must be so."

"Another puzzle! And to find yourself in such a different body, that I struggle to imagine. Has she found it difficult to adapt, do you know?"

"Neither Lady Merizel nor myself were present when she first came to the palace, Milady, so I could not say. You should know that her first Call of Kalikan was... unexpected and difficult. Subsequent calls have not been much better, though I deem she improves each time."

Milsy stared. "She had never had... Of course, she wouldn't! Oh, Maker! I would not wish that on any man. Yet she manages. She rides, she fights... she does more than any woman of Palarand would think to do."

"But she is a woman now, Milady, and yet she can manage to do much which we once considered unthinkable. She says that most women of Earth may attempt similar things and that we are no different than they, saving only our education. She leads by example and I deem that many will follow."

"I certainly will! I have been given a chance, Bursila, and I do not intend to let it pass me by. I do not yet know what I may be capable of but I certainly intend to try everything that may come my way."

"As you say, Milady, but remember you presently play a part. You can only do that which the Baroness would do, at least for the next several days."

"I haven't forgotten, Bursila."

Milsy inspected the items for a while and then helped Bursila fold them tidily and return them to the bag. After that there was, again, nothing to do.

"Milady, it occurs to me that the rest of my belongings, few though they may be, still remain in the chamber which Lady Merizel used before we went north."

"Oh? Aye, of course."

"I wonder, Milady... if one of the Queen's maids is available as chaperone, mayhap I could fetch my things to my own quarters in your suite, Milady. It is known that I presently attend Lady Garia, it would be natural to reunite myself with my belongings and I should not cause comment if I did so."

"That's a good thought, Bursila. How do we find out where Kenila and Varna might be? Oh, we'll have to ask one of our armsmen to go find one." Milsy giggled. "Our armsmen! They aren't really, of course, but I never imagined I would have men with swords follow me around. How my life has changed!"

"Aye, Milady." Bursila went to the door. "If you would conceal yourself against strangers, Milady, I shall enquire."

Bursila went out into the corridor as Milsy retreated to the bed chamber. After a short while the maid returned.

"Milady, one has gone to discover if a suitable chaperone may be found. I have explained the circumstances to him, for the private information of the Queen."

Milsy heard two of the bell sequences pass, with an explanation by Bursila, before the door opened and Varna appeared. She curtseyed to Milsy.

"Milady, I am told that you require a chaperone while Bursila collects her belongings. The Queen permits me to join you while your maid is absent."

"Thank you, Varna. This is really awkward, isn't it? I don't think I realized that noble women had a maid with them at all times. Bursila, off you go."

"Thank you, Milady."

Since Milsy had little idea how matters worked 'above stairs' it was difficult having a conversation with Varna, but the younger of the Queen's maids was little older than herself and grown up in the palace. This meant that they could at least talk about each other's childhoods and contrast their different upbringings and fortunes.

"If I may ask, Milady, what will happen to you when... the other returns? I know the Queen said you would be given a position according to your talents but what did she mean?"

Milsy shrugged. "I have no idea, Varna. I'll be staying in the palace, from what I know, and it is likely that I could become part of... the other's entourage when she returns. If I don't I'll just become a palace servant like yourself, I suppose. I deem it is a little early for me to be making such plans, I have resided here but a day so far."

"As you say."

Bursila returned carrying several bags and with dresses slung over one arm. Both Milsy and Varna went to help her store them tidily in her little closet before Varna took her leave.

"Any trouble?"

"No, Milady, everything went as I expected. People do not take much notice of a servant walking the corridors, it is assumed that we but do our duty."

"As indeed you were! That reminds me, if I wanted to be a 'servant walking the corridors', how must I do it? I would need a dress like your own, I deem."

"I regret I have nothing that would fit you, Milady, but, if you recall, Rosilda will come later today bearing a bra for you. It should not be difficult for her to obtain such a dress to fit you."

"Aye." Milsy considered. "Then there is the matter of shoes... and my hair. What am I going to do about my hair? It is too distinctive like this."

"Not so, Milady. Already I have seen several servants who have had their hair cut in like style, after the Baroness permitted it. It would have been better if you had obtained a wig but if you do not I deem none will recognize you as she who resides in this chamber."

"Hmm. I think we'll ask Rosilda when she gets here."

"Milady, I had a thought while collecting my things. Lady Merizel has a child's lettering book, a family heirloom, which may be of use to teach you to read. Lady Garia used it during the rains to learn to read herself."

Milsy frowned. "Lady Garia could not read?"

"Aye, Milady, she could, but only the letters of Earth. She told us that the script we use here is very different from that used in Kansas."

"Ah, but if she could already read then it may have been easier for her to puzzle out the meaning of what she reads here, I deem. For us it may not be so easy."

"I could not say, Milady, only that noble children are taught to read at a young age so it may not be that difficult."

"You might be right, Bursila. We will not know until we begin. Where is the book now?"

"I regret it is in the study of the Royal Questor, Milady. Either we must go there or one of the guildsmen must bring it here."

"The study of the Royal Questor? What's that?"

"Milady, the Royal Questor has a suite of rooms in the palace which includes a study and a big workshop which the Baroness names a laboratory. We have spent some time there tidying it up and attempting to make sense of the strange devices and notes he left when he died. It is where Guildsman Tarvan presently conducts his experiments."

"Oh, I see. She learned to read over there? Then we had better do the same, I deem."

"As you say, Milady."

Milsy cocked an ear as distant chimes came in through the windows.

"Ah. I think I have it, now. A low bell, then two higher bells, a moment, then two more higher bells. The eleventh Bell of day, is that right?"

"Aye, Milady," Bursila replied, surprised. "You have it! I did not think you would be able to read them so quickly."

"The sequence seems to be the same as that used by the castle, Bursila, but the bells themselves sound different. That means..." Milsy paused. She could now name the Bells but did not know how to apply them to the palace routine. "I'm not sure what it means," she confessed. "Should the evening meal be served soon?"

"At this time of year, within the half bell, I deem, Milady. Before Spring Dawning the meal would be served after dark, of course, so we would be using the night bells."

Milsy gave a wry smile. "See? Just learning the bells isn't enough, is it? I have to learn the palace routine as well. Um, I'm supposed to be a noble lady now, so we had better go in the dressing room and find me a long gown to wear. You were right about the one I wore yesterday, let's choose one that might be more suitable. Who knows? I might have to get used to wearing such gowns in future."

* * *

Rosilda curtseyed. "As promised, Milady."

"Oh, good! Do you mind if I try it on for size?"

"Milady, I would wait until you did try it on. I must know if I have chosen the correct pattern."

"As you say, Rosilda. Bursila, I'll have to undress but there's no point dressing again afterwards, is there? I might as well wear a robe until it is time for bed."

"Then let us go to the bed chamber, Milady."

The three women went into the bed chamber and Bursila began unlacing Milsy's evening gown.

"While we're doing this, Rosilda, can I ask if you can get me a servant's dress? The Queen has suggested that I can go about the palace in disguise - I mean, in a different disguise - to learn the corridors. There's not much to do while I'm stuck in here and it would be a good use of my time."

Rosilda was doubtful. "Of course I can obtain such a dress, Milady, but are you sure the Queen..?"

Milsy waved a hand. "She did say that, didn't she, Bursila? I would not leave these chambers without her permission, you can be certain of that."

"Then I will obtain such a dress for you, Milady. Ah, I will provide a normal sash, I deem. To see you with Blackstone colors would only cause comment."

"Thank you, Rosilda. Oh, and I'll need some shoes as well. I can't wear these shoes," she shucked off the ones she had been wearing all day, "because they are of a style that only noble women would wear. I doubt any servant goes about with heels this high!"

"Too true, Milady. I will see what I can find, though obtaining shoes may be more difficult than obtaining a dress will be." Rosilda gave Milsy a quick look-over. "What about your hair, Milady? It would draw comment."

"Bursila says that some of the younger servant girls have had their hair cut as that of the Baroness. A wig would be better but that might be too difficult to arrange."

"A scarf may serve, Milady, if questions are asked of your hair," Bursila said. "When... Lady Garia and Lady Merizel went about the palace in cleaning dresses with scarves nobody recognized them. Indeed, there was an incident because Lady Garia was not recognized."

"Ooh! Tell me what happened!"

"Later, Milady. We do not want to delay Rosilda this evening."

"As you say."

Milsy was undressed and the new bra fitted.

"How does that feel, Milady?"

"The difference is small, but noticeable," Milsy reported. "This feels very comfortable."

"Then I will arrange for a further supply to be made."

"Thank you again, Rosilda. I'll take this one off now and wear it tomorrow."

"Then I'll leave you, Milady. I could not say when any of the other items you have asked for may be available, the Wardrobe is busy presently."

"You've done more than I expected, Rosilda. Thank you."

As the door closed behind the seamstress Milsy turned to Bursila, eyes bright.

"So, tell me all about this incident, then!"

up
264 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So it appears that we are now

So it appears that we are now beginning to see Milsy's true intelligence coming out, as she did surprise the two Guildmen with some of her questions and observations.

Penny Lane is Evil!

I asked Penny and Julia what chapter included the story of "the incident". They told me Chapter 32 (Book 2), so I immediately started reading that chapter. The next thing I remember, it was SIX (6) Chapters later and I felt a burning desire to start over with Chapter One (1)!!!

This is going to take days.

I'm hooked!

OK, this is a cool story. You have sucked me in and I can't wait for the next chapter. Thanks for a very interesting read.

I recently caught up soo...

Something tells me that when Garia returns to Anmar, she's gonna Fulvin (among others) to make a small scale (possibly wind up spring powered) model train and rail road, as well as associated pieces, to serve as a demonstration piece and a toy, after all the word "practical" can be used to describe her. such a model would serve the purpose of demonstrating the coupling system, cranes, and various cars

Wonderful Story

Kathy Leigh's picture

So glad to see these characters again back in their pre-industrial setting. Even without the gender-bending portion of the story Penny's story telling is spellbinding.

I hope Penny will find the strength to keep on writing this story for a long time.

Hugs

Kathy

Powers of deductions

Jamie Lee's picture

Garia never told Milsy she used to be a boy on Earth, and yet just by looking at Garia's old clothes Milsy was able to deduce that she was once a boy.

Gil was right, Milsy can do better than work in the kitchen. Being able to see something then deduce its use can be taught, but done by a person without an education is a natural ability.

Others have feelings too.