What Milsy Did -6-

Printer-friendly version

Milsy begins her reading lessons, accompanied by Bursila. The next day their lessons continue but now include writing. After several days the Queen relents and Milsy takes her first look at the labyrinth of palace corridors.

What Milsy Did

A Tale of Anmar by Penny Lane

6 - Reading Lessons


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2016 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



Milsy awoke and stared up at the richly decorated ceiling. She could hardly believe her luck. In just a few short days she had gone from kitchen drudge to noble lady, living in a suite in the palace - the palace! - right next door to Palarand's King and Queen, with whom she spoke daily.

Of course, there were some minor points which had to be recognized. She wasn't actually a noble, she was just playing the part of one for an indeterminate time. At some time in the near future, all this would likely come to an abrupt end.

There was the other minor point that there were people out there trying to kidnap or kill the person she was pretending to be.

Still, I'd better enjoy it all while it lasts.

I need to make sure that I'm in a good position when it does all come to an end. That means learning to read for a start. What might I be doing in the future? Finding my way round this huge building will be necessary too.

She sighed and threw back the covers. Time for the daily routine to begin.

By the time she emerged from the toilet closet Bursila had risen and had already pulled the rope for bath water. The two busied themselves washing, dressing and doing their Tai Chi before waiting for breakfast to be delivered. Their first visitor was not the breakfast servants, though.

"Tord! Good morning. Are you on your way to wherever it is you do the unarmed combat?"

The armsman banged a fist against his chest. "Good morning, Milady. Not this morning, as it happens. The guard quadrants rotate shifts today and it was thought wise to allow a day of ease to allow those previously on night duty to adjust. I trust all has been well with you so far?"

"Aye, it has, though I deem I will have died from boredom by the end of a week." Milsy frowned. "At least I can choose whatever I might do in here. How do the men manage, just standing about all day with little happening?"

"Ah, Milady, we are ever aware of the dangers, both physical and mental, which guard duty places upon a man. We are taught strategies to keep both mind and body ready should we ever need to jump into action." The armsman looked apologetic. "In truth, Milady, many who are chosen for the guard, and through the guard to become Blackstone armsmen, are not great thinkers or talented in crafts or leadership. Most are content with their station, it is enough for their abilities."

"As you say. I have known many like that in the lower levels of Dekarran." She wrinkled her nose. "Unfortunately, I am not of that cloth, I deem. I have often thirsted for more than a simple kitchen job may offer. That is one reason I was chosen for this task. Oh, that and the fact I am the same shape and size as your liege, of course."

"Indeed, Milady." He looked speculatively at Milsy. "Does this mean that you will not be content to remain in the Baroness's chambers?"

"Don't worry, Tord, I won't put myself in danger or give you and your men extra work." Her eyes twinkled. "At least not to begin with. I know what I do is important and I have to behave just like the Baroness would behave in like circumstances."

"I am relieved to hear that, Milady," Tord agreed dryly. An eyebrow went up. "'Not to begin with', Milady?"

"After a week or so I am to resume whatever the Baroness was doing," Milsy explained. "Oh, I know I can't be exercising like she did and I can't ride frayen, but I'll be going to... the laboratory? Is that right?... to do things with guildsman Tarvan. Do you know where that is?"

"Aye, of course, Milady. He uses the workshop of the Royal Questor, though presently none is appointed to that post. We wondered if the Baroness might be appointed, perhaps."

"I couldn't say, Tord."

There was a knock at the door and Milsy waved at Tord before rushing into the bed chamber. Tord looked at Bursila.

"We dare not let the kitchen servants see Milady," Bursila explained. "They would immediately know that she was not the Baroness."

Tord nodded. "And it would be all over the palace in moments. I understand."

He went to the door and opened it to admit three servants carrying trays of food. They unloaded them onto the table and withdrew. Bursila went to the bedroom door and knocked, causing Milsy to reappear.

"Good! I'm hungry," she said. "Ooh! Look, they have brought the extras you asked for, Bursila. Let's eat. Tord, would you like some pel? I'm sure we have enough to spare."

"Thank you Milady, I have already breakfasted. If I may, I'll leave you both to eat your own."

"Very well. Thank you for calling. Oh, and we're expecting one or both guildsmen this morning. It is likely that they will be spending some time here while I'm restricted to these chambers."

Tord nodded. "Thank you for the warning, Milady. Good morning."

Breakfast eaten and cleared away, Milsy waited impatiently for the guildsmen to arrive. In particular, there was one guildsman she desired to see again, to examine more closely.

She wondered why she had been attracted by Tarvan. In the castle there had been any number of young males working in the lower regions of the building but few had caused her to think of them as other than fellow workers. Perhaps that was because none were in any better position than her own lowly status. There was little of any value that one of them could provide someone like herself.

Tarvan, on the other hand, was a young guildsman. He had a status which could only grow as he progressed through the ranks and, more importantly, he appeared to be intelligent. She needed somebody who could at least match her own mental abilities and Tarvan was the first such man of a suitable age and status she had come across. Almost as important, he appeared to be interested in her, which had to be a good sign!

After what seemed bells of waiting but was probably less than half a bell an knock came at the door. Bursila opened it to admit Tarvan, who bowed to Milsy. Her heart jumped.

"Good morning, Milady. I trust you are well?"

"Good morning, Tarvan. Aye, we are well, are we not, Bursila? What of yourself? I hope we're not upsetting your routine too much."

"Not at all, Milady. As I mentioned yesterday, I have chores which I must do, as any person does, but I may not make further progress on my projects until the Baroness returns. Thus, I am able to spend some time providing that which you require, namely reading lessons." He smiled. "I also welcome the change in routine. The laboratory can be a lonely place at times."

Milsy's reply was daring. "Then I had better join you there as soon as the Queen permits, had I not? Then you will not be lonely any more."

Tarvan flushed slightly. "As you say, Milady. Now, before we begin, has the slate for today's meals arrived yet?"

"Ah! A good thought. Aye, it was brought by those who removed our breakfast things. Here."

She handed him the slate and he read out the list so that they could make their choices for lunch and the evening meal.

"Shall you take lunch with us, Tarvan? I would understand if you have arranged to be somewhere else."

"Um." Tarvan gave the unexpected invite a thought, but it didn't take long to make up his mind. "Aye, Milady, I would keep you company while you eat, if I may."

"Then let us all choose what we are to eat here today."

With that decided they all took chairs at the table. Tarvan brought out two pieces of paper and placed one in front of each woman. Milsy picked up hers and inspected it closely.

"What is this, Tarvan? I assumed it to be parchment, but it is not."

"It is paper, Milady. Another of... the Baroness's ideas. It is made... no, this is not the time to describe paper-making, I deem. Suffice it to say that it is much cheaper and easier to make paper than it is to produce parchment."

"Interesting. And these marks on the sheet? These are letters, yes? I know that much."

"Aye, they are letters. Well, most of them are. These are sample sheets I have obtained from the Hall of the Printers this morning." He noticed the look on Milsy's face. "Ah, another subject for another time, I deem."

He continued, "Each of these letters, together with the other marks, represents the sounds we make when we talk, such that they can be written down for another to understand. Every letter makes a different sound, although for historical reasons there is no longer an exact match. When we read, we read from left to right of each line and from top to bottom of each page. There are thirty-five letters, which we divide into two groups called 'vowels' and 'consonants'. Now vowels -"

By the time Bursila suggested pel, Milsy's head was spinning. So many different shapes with a different sound to each, and several of them very similar to each other! It was a lot to understand at one session.

"How is it that those who can read remember all these different letters, Tarvan? It seems very complicated."

"For someone who does not read, Milady, I doubt not that it seems complicated. Once you may read, I believe that you will not find it so difficult. In time you will barely notice the letters since your mind will recognize each word as it is read. You would only inspect the letters for a word you have never read before and never heard spoken."

Milsy raised an eyebrow. "And how many words are there?" She answered her own question. "Many hundreds, I deem."

"Thousands, Milady, and the Baroness introducing more each time she speaks. Worry not, to begin with you will not need all of them and the others will be understood gradually as you do need them. I am told, though I am no Scribe, that most people only use several hundred, perhaps six or seven, in their normal speech. It is only for specialist documents and unusual items like decrees or monuments that some of the rarer words are used."

They finished their drinks and resumed the lesson.

"I must needs find things for you to read," Tarvan said. "This sheet, while useful, is not enough. You must begin to read proper sentences as soon as you can, it is the best way to learn."

"What about that slate? Can we read that?"

"Indeed, though the writing is in a slightly different form, and because it is done in chalk it is not so clear."

Tarvan explained the difference between handwritten letters and the new printed kind, which effectively doubled the number of letter shapes Milsy and Bursila had to learn. The three puzzled over the slate for a while but it became clear to Milsy that reading would take a lot of her concentration and even more of her time.

"Tomorrow I will bring reeds and ink and you may begin practising your own letters," he said. "It will be slow and your fingers will ache, but if you are to be more than a kitchen servant it is something that you must needs do. Reading and writing are essential if you would make more of yourself, Milady."

"Master Tarvan," Bursila said, "I am reminded that Lady Merizel possesses a child's lettering book which Lady Garia used when she learned to read."

"Of course! Bursila, you are right. It is in the study of the Royal Questor and I will bring it with me tomorrow. It has a number of short, simple sentences a child would learn as it gains language but I believe you will both find it useful. Aye, thank you for reminding me, Bursila."

All too soon lunchtime approached and Milsy had to make a hasty dive for the bed chamber. Once the food had been laid out the three set about consuming the contents of the dishes.

"It is unfortunate that you must needs keep out of the gaze of the palace servants," Tarvan remarked. "I know how rumor can travel through the palace like a fire. If you were discovered, there would be no deception at all and the Baroness put in danger."

"It is a problem, especially since I don't know how long I'll have to do this," Milsy replied. She grinned. "I'm not really complaining, though, I have a comfortable suite with amazing clothes and people running around after me. My apologies, Bursila, you know what I mean."

"As you say, Milady. You were offered the opportunity, it would have been foolish not to take it."

Milsy sighed. "And one day it must needs come to an end, I deem. That is one reason I desire to read, Tarvan, I must prepare for what may come next."

As the meal progressed Milsy found herself beginning to relax more and more. Tarvan spoke to her naturally, there was no indication that he considered himself to be a higher status than her - which he could justifiably do if he had wished to. They were just two young people who were newly acquainted and who were enjoying themselves. Bursila noted the wordplay and gave herself a secret smile. Whether by accident or design it was apparent that these two would find some way to take their relationship further if at all possible.

The meal at an end, Milsy went to the balcony door.

"Shall you join us for our nap, Tarvan?"

"On the balcony with the King and Queen? Milady, I dare not, I have not been invited."

"I'm sure they would not mind."

"But I would, Milady. Already I am seen in this corridor too frequently. I deem it is time that I returned to the laboratory and do that which is my duty." He made a face. "The steam engine must be made ready to recharge the batteries and it requires cleaning. I have other cleaning tasks to do."

"What are... steam engine... and... batteries? Never mind, Tarvan. I understand."

He stood and bowed. "Until tomorrow morning, Milady."

Milsy raised a hand. "Until tomorrow, then." She watched the door close, then turned to Bursila. "Coming?"

* * *

"And is Tarvan teaching you to read, dear? He was leaving the corridor as we came up for our nap."

Milsy lowered her cup of pel.

"Aye, Ma'am, he intends to, as we discussed yesterday." She thought. "It seems difficult, Ma'am. In order to be able to read, we must have scrolls or parchment with words on them to read. It sounds as if it could be as big a project for him as it is for us."

"Do you object, dear? You were complaining that you would become bored while you must remain in your chambers."

"Oh, no, Ma'am! It's not that. If I can read, then it follows I must needs learn. It's just that there's unintended consequences when one decides to do something like that. In this case, it means that Tarvan will have more work than I realized he would."

Robanar pointed a finger. "You are learning that which all adults eventually recognize, young woman. You cannot just decide that something must be done, or that something must not be done, you must weigh up all that might result from such a decision. Sometimes the most unexpected things result from such a decision. I doubt any of us entirely realized what would happen when we took Garia in."

Milsy suppressed a giggle. "Aye, Sire! Even I can understand that. Why did you decide to do it, if I might ask? She didn't have to come and reside in the palace, surely."

Robanar shrugged. "It seemed the right thing to do, my dear. I remember the day she arrived, her attire, her accent, everything about her was so unusual, so different... It seemed clear to me that her coming signaled a change for Palarand. It occurred to me that, on seeing her, we had become staid, set in our ways, our society content but without progress. She offered evidence that we could become so much more if there was but a spark to ignite our imaginations, and she proved that she was the spark we needed." He grunted. "That decision also had unintended consequences, of course. Sometimes I wonder what I have unleashed upon my people but there can be no turning back from what has been started."

Terys smiled complacently. "I do not think there is cause for concern, husband. It is true the ride may become bumpy but Garia is aware of the dangers to come. With her knowledge and your guiding hand I am certain we will be a much better land in years to come."

"Aye, but it is not just the people that are my present concern." He waved a hand. "Enough. Milsy has enough to consider without us confusing her with matters of state she may not understand. My dear," he addressed Milsy, "you are content? We know that you presently have little to do but there is little we can change about that. All I can promise is that it will come to an end and then we will reward you in what ways we can."

"Sire, I know what I must do and that it is my duty. I have more freedom than the men of your guard do and I must not complain."

"True, my dear, but for a young girl, far from the life she once knew, it is a different matter than for a young man who has trained at the various duties of a guardsman. If you have need, you must tell us, my dear."

"As you command, Sire."

Back in her suite, Milsy lay on her back on the bed, thinking.

There's something going on. The King is up to something and I'm not sure that he has taken the Queen into his confidence.

Huh! It isn't going to be anything that I would even understand, is it? Better to stop worrying about it. The King must think about all kinds of major problems all the time. Perhaps I should be glad I'm not ruling somewhere like Palarand.

I couldn't do that anyway, could I? Women don't do that. I could be Queen, though, if I somehow managed to marry a Prince who eventually becomes King of somewhere. Queen Terys appears to have a lot of power but she always knows who the real ruler is.

I'm not going to get Keren, though, that's for certain. I don't know what his preference is but I know what Garia's is!

About a bell before the evening meal Rosilda appeared with another bra, a servant's dress and sash and two pairs of shoes. By now Milsy was glad of any diversion from attempting to remember how all the letters on her sample sheet sounded.

"I'll need you to try them all on, Milady, before I leave you."

"As you wish, Rosilda. I'll have to undress to try them all on, so I will choose a long gown to wear afterwards."

Rosilda raised an eyebrow. "You are wearing the long gowns? Even though none may see you?"

"I have the chance, so why not? I have never worn such attire before so it has been an interesting experience. Who knows? I may be asked to appear as the Baroness in public so it would be a good idea if I didn't fall over the moment I appeared, wouldn't it? I might as well practise if I have the opportunity. I'm not going to soil the gowns, after all."

"I cannot fault your logic, Milady. If we may go into the dressing room so that you may change."

Once changed, Milsy inspected herself in the mirror.

"The bra fits as well as the first one did and the dress is decent. The shoes... the flat pair should be all right but that other pair is a little tight."

"The other pair is an outdoor pair, Milady. You may wear the flat shoes within the palace, on the upper or lower floors, but it would not be wise to wear them outside since they can easily be damaged."

"I've seen some of the flat ones in the dressing room. Is that what the Baroness wears about the palace?"

"Aye, Milady, most noble ladies wear such footwear within the palace or indeed in their own homes. Did you not see such footwear in the castle?"

"Only in the chests of the Baroness, Rosilda. Where I worked the floors were mostly stone and, while they had been worn smooth through years of servants walking by, they would not be suitable for flat shoes like these. I did not notice what the noble ladies were wearing, on those occasions when I had the opportunity to observe. My attention was on more important concerns. Should I have more pairs, do you think?"

"The Baroness has four pairs, I deem. Since her shoes will not fit you I will obtain three more pairs for you. They may be washed in the laundry as other clothes. What of the outdoor shoes? Do you think you might have need for some?"

"Well, that's an interesting point. Once they let me out of these chambers I'll be spending some time over in the laboratory with Guildsman Tarvan - to keep up the deception, you understand. Perhaps I might need something a little more substantial over there?"

"I could not say, Milady. Mayhap I should ask advice of Tarvan."

"If you want to speak to Tarvan, he's spending his mornings up here with me and Bursila. He's teaching us to read."

"If that is so, then I will find some time to visit tomorrow morning, if I may."

"Of course. The sooner I get everything I might need the better, I deem. Once I am let out of these chambers, my movements may be changed at short notice and I must needs have the correct attire. That of the Baroness will fit me for most occasions but I cannot wear her shoes or boots."

Rosilda nodded. "As you say, Milady. If I may leave you to change now, I must make ready for my own evening meal."

"Of course, Rosilda."

Once Rosilda had gone Milsy had a strong urge to follow her into the corridor, now that she had a disguise, to begin to explore the vastness of the palace. She knew that it would never work, since the men set to guard her were outside and would stop her. Any excursions would have to be with the full approval of Tord, not to mention the King and Queen, and would probably require some careful planning.

She sighed. "Not today, Bursila."

"My Lady?"

"I have this dress now but I cannot use it yet. I must restrain my patience for some few more days, I deem. Come, let us prepare ourselves for the next meal."

~o~O~o~

When Tarvan arrived the next morning he brought with him a large bag. The contents were laid out onto the table and consisted of a stack of paper, a few waxed sheets, bundles of long reeds, two little stoppered glass pots of ink, some more printed sheets and Merizel's lettering book. There was also a gleaming brass contraption of tubes and wheels which Tarvan set down carefully on the tabletop.

"Maker! What's that? Is it something from where the Baroness came from?"

"In some small way, aye. This is called a microscope and is used, I am told, for looking at very small things. This new model arrived yesterday and I thought to bring it to inspect the inside of the Baroness's portable clock."

"Oh! Aye, why not? Shall I fetch out the bag?"

Tarvan shook his head. "Later, I deem. Let us begin your lessons while you are yet fresh this morning. The microscope is but an entertainment for you, reading is more important."

"Slave driver." But Milsy smiled at Tarvan. "So, where do we begin?"

The lettering book was interesting. The covers were of wood, covered with a thin layer of what Tarvan said was cured fish skin. Years of use had worn the corners of the covers, and in some cases of the wood and the underlying pages, almost completely away. The pages were of parchment, naturally, and each had from one to four small pictures with a single line of text underneath. The drawings and text had been done by a Master Scribe, probably commissioned by the family, and were the most beautiful things Milsy had ever seen.

"Maker! Are we allowed to touch such a thing?"

"Milady," Bursila said, "this book has been passed down by Lady Merizel's family for many generations. It has been used by many young children of a tender age. You should not fear to damage it further."

"Nevertheless, Bursila," Tarvan said, "we will treat it with respect, as we would treat any book. Let us begin."

With the clues in the pictures to what the words might say, Milsy and Bursila began the tough task of determining exactly what was said. Milsy already knew that she had a much calmer disposition than Garia but even she had to hold herself in check at times.

Patience! More attention to detail and you will discover the secret. You cannot merely wish to read, you must learn it just as everybody else has done.

After a bell and a half they stopped for a drink.

"Do you want to do some more, or do you desire a change?"

Milsy eyed the inkpots on the table. "You want us to begin writing now, don't you?"

Tarvan nodded. "As with any activity, your brain becomes tired after some time so a change can be refreshing. I notice you struggle to find the letters you need so writing them may help you become familiar with them."

"Then let us do that. Bursila and I can always look at the book after you depart."

"As you say. First, I'll show you how a reed is prepared. I wouldn't expect either of you to be able to make them yourself for a while but you should know how 'tis done. First, we cut a length of reed about so long -"

Using a special knife with a tiny but sharp blade Tarvan showed them how a length of reed was cut, trimmed and had a nib formed at one end.

"That's it!" Tarvan smiled and resumed his instruction. "Now, if the reed is dipped in ink then enough is retained for you to write on parchment - or paper, of course. First, I would suggest that you arrange one of these waxed sheets to put your paper on. There will be some mess until your fingers become familiar with the act of writing and the sheets will protect the table."

"Master Tarvan."

"Aye, Bursila?"

"I have observed children being taught to write, at the home of Lady Merizel's parents. If I may add, the mess will be on our fingers also, and anything else which is nearby."

"I am corrected, Bursila! See, I am no Scribe nor tutor, to be teaching you in the ways of writing, merely a friend, say, passing on what little knowledge and experience I own. Aye, I doubt not it will be messy, but you are not children, are you? You have that advantage over them, that you may better control your fingers."

With paper ready and reeds inked, Tarvan noticed Milsy looking intently at her reed, tilting it and inspecting it from all angles.

"Tarvan, how does the ink get inside the reed? What makes it flow there? And, why then does it come out again when I put reed to paper?"

"Why, it is something I only learned recently, Milady. The new steam engine in the laboratory has two glass tubes which tell us how much water is in the tank and the boiler."

Milsy stared blankly at Tarvan, who continued, "I doubt not that you will discover all in due course, Milady. For now, it is the glass tubes which are important. These are of a like size to the reeds you hold, but it is possible to see what happens inside them. The Baroness told us of something called 'surface tension' which makes the water -"

Tarvan gave a brief explanation, saying that Milsy would likely find out for herself once she could come to the laboratory. Then it was time to begin writing. Tarvan suggested that they attempt to form the letters on the sample sheet.

Her finger ached after half a bell and Milsy marveled that a trained Scribe could apparently continue writing for a whole day. At Tarvan's suggestion she tried deliberately relaxing the rigid control with which she had unconsciously held the reed, finding that her actions became much easier and freer.

"It is like when I first began using a fork to eat," she remarked. "I held it too tightly and it took some time before I realized I could actually control it better by loosening my grip."

"Aye, that is right! I deem it is the same for any tool. At first one does not know how to hold it and one is afraid of making a mistake or causing damage, it is only with use that one becomes familiar with the tool and can safely relax one's grip."

At the end of a bell Tarvan called a halt and Bursila pulled the rope for more pel while Milsy retired to the dressing room as usual. Once the drinks had been delivered she reappeared carrying the bag with Garia's Earth clothing. Once they had finished their break Tarvan decided to set the microscope up on the dressing room table, since that offered the best light from outside for viewing. He removed the back from the watch and set it underneath the viewing tube of the microscope, twisting the knob until the insides appeared sharp in the eyepiece.

"There! Tell me what you see."

Milsy bent to the eyepiece and saw... a world of miniature marvels.

"I see tiny wheels, some moving, and some other strange things. What is that pink thing? It looks like a coil of thread, such as the seamstresses use, but I cannot believe anyone can make thread so fine."

"The Baroness says that it is a coil of wire, likely made from purest copper, so fine that it is thinner than a hair from a baby's head. The big round thing you can see is a small battery... Um, it stores electricity, which makes the portable clock function, so I am told. More than that I do not know."

Milsy stood up. "And you say that these are available to all on Earth? They are not the products of a jeweler's arts?"

"No, indeed, Milady. They are made in enormous workshops called factories by people much like ourselves, and in uncounted numbers. She tells us that most things in her world are now made this way."

Milsy thought. "The obvious conclusion to me is that the Baroness expects the same to happen here, does she not? That is the reason she is here, I deem."

Tarvan said, "She says that it would happen here were she here or not, Milady. The difference is that without her guidance we would make the same mistakes her world did, causing much hardship, misery, poverty and death. She seeks to avoid much of this by warning us in advance. She also seeks to speed the process by jumping some of the stages which Earth went through."

A nod of agreement. "Aye. More than ever now I begin to understand her worth. Bursila? You want to have a look?"

Once Bursila had been suitably impressed it was time to return to the reading lessons.

* * *

That evening, as they were getting ready for bed, Milsy asked, "How are you managing with the reading, Bursila? Are you finding it hard?"

"It is more difficult than I thought, Milady. There are so many letters to remember and some of them are little different than one another. Perhaps it is too much for me, maybe I am too old to learn such things."

"Oh, I don't think so! I know we're all different but I would not be put off by that, Bursila. I am beginning to understand what a difference there may be to our lives if we could but read. I know that many do not and manage to live their lives but that may not be so in the future, I deem. If we are to help Garia in her task then we must needs be able to read ourselves. We must help one another whenever we can."

"Aye, Milady, I cannot disagree. It is just that... reading is hard."

"We have made a start, have we not? Let us continue at least while we are shut up in these chambers. There is little else to do."

"As you say, Milady. Now, if you would climb into bed."

"I hope Lady Merizel knows what she is missing, Bursila. You are a treasure."

"I could not say, Milady, though I have known Lady Merizel since she was but six. I trust that she believes I have served her well."

"I'll make sure to tell her when she returns, Bursila. Good night."

"Good night, Milady."

~o~O~o~

Three days later and Milsy could read most of the words in the lettering book. Tarvan frowned.

"The problem, I deem, is that by now you have memorized the words under each picture. You know what is said without needing to read them."

"That's possible, Tarvan, but I am making the effort. What do you suggest? Is there anything else I may try to read?"

"That could be a problem, Milsy. Most of what I have to hand is of a technical nature which could prove difficult for you. Doubtless there are other lettering books about, mayhap even within the palace, but any enquiry would raise questions I may not answer."

"I'll ask the Queen after our nap today."

"A good idea. I will await the answer to your enquiry with interest."

"So will I! Now, what about our writing? Are we doing the right thing?"

"Aye, I believe so. By learning to write you may then write pages for each other to read, which will help solve the other problem. You are making much less mess than when you first began."

Milsy looked at Tarvan, confused. If she didn't know how to... spell... a word, how could she write it for Bursila to read? Writing would serve to make them familiar with the letters but not much more until they could read properly. She mentally shrugged. Soon, she would be able to leave and at last see some more of the palace!

As if on cue the door opened and Terys walked in. Everybody stood.

"Good morning to you all."

The three returned the greeting.

"I see you are both beginning to read," the Queen observed. "Are you finding it difficult?"

Milsy replied, "Ma'am, it is not easy but I believe we both understand what we must do. I think Bursila is not finding it as easy as I am, though."

"I see. All I can tell you both is that, once you can read, you will find it to be very rewarding. Now that Garia has opened our eyes to the possibilities that become available to anyone who can read, I am of the firm belief that we must ensure all who can learn to read must do so. I see ink-pots upon the table. Do you also write?"

"Aye, Ma'am, we do," Milsy replied, adding, "It is presently messy and makes our fingers hurt but I am told that this will ease in time."

"Good." The Queen's tone was warm. "As with Garia's other activity of riding, it requires a certain adaptation for you to succeed. One day you will wonder why you once found it to be so hard. Now, to the reason for my visit. Rosilda tells me that you now have all the attire you may need both for your present employment and to permit you to walk the corridors without being noticed. Is that correct?"

Milsy considered. "Aye, Ma'am, I believe so. If there is any lack I do not know what it might be."

"Very well. In the afternoons, then, you may begin to leave these chambers in the guise of a servant in order to walk the corridors. To make certain you do not become lost Kenila will accompany you, at least for the first day or two." Terys frowned. "I am concerned that any problem you may encounter while thus attired will reflect back to your appearance as Garia. You must be certain that you do not cause any trouble, dear."

I could get into a scrape and be recognized or detained for one of the supervisors to deal with, which won't be easy to handle. I can't let on who I really am. Um, who I really am supposed to be, I think I mean! Being just Milsy isn't going to help.

She nodded. "I'll be very careful, Ma'am."

"Then I will leave you to your studies. Master Tarvan?"

"Aye, Ma'am?"

"Remember, in the absence of Master Parrel at tonight's council meeting, you will be required to provide a report on recent activities in his craft."

Tarvan bowed his head. "I understand, Ma'am. I will make sure nothing is forgotten."

"Then we will see you next at this evening's meal."

The three bowed and curtseyed as Terys turned and left. The moment the door was closed, Milsy turned to Tarvan.

"So you're going to the Council of the Two Worlds tonight."

"What? I didn't think you knew about that!"

"Oh, Garia told me about it when we were in Dekarran. I'm not going to let the world know, you know. I'm also not going to ask you what you do there. I've seen enough of what Garia can provide and I know that much of it is dangerous."

"Well... I cannot say if you are wrong or right, Milsy. The only thing I might add is that, because I must consult others in my guild, I must leave you before lunch today and remain away all this afternoon."

"That's a pity! Since we are now permitted to go out I had hoped that you could join us."

"I would like nothing better, since my own knowledge of the palace is so poor, but I regret that the work of the guilds must have priority. I cannot appear before the King with my notes incomplete through lack of preparation, especially as this will be the first time the council has met since the King went to Dekarran."

Milsy smiled. "I understand. Mayhap you can accompany us some other time."

"As you say. Now, about your reading. Since we were not able to catch Her Majesty's attention, I suggest that you try copying the words from the lettering book."

* * *

"What do you think?"

Kenila replied, "I do not think anyone would think you anything but what you seem to be, Milsy. I am not even sure that the headscarf would be necessary."

Milsy tugged the left side down over her ear. "I don't know. Until I can get a feel for how the servants do things here I'm not confident that I can get away with people seeing my hair. Don't forget, Dekarran is the only place I have ever known so this is all new for me. I don't know how things work in the palace."

"I understand. Having visited Dekarran a number of times with the Queen I find it to be most confusing and the customs different than those here in the palace. I will help you discover what you must know so that when you no longer play the part of the Baroness you will not be a stranger to these corridors."

"Thank you, Kenila. So, can we go?"

"Aye. Let me lead the way."

Outside the door Tord was apprehensive. "I do not like this, Milady."

Milsy smiled. "Confusing, is it not? Presently, I am not Milady but merely another palace servant going about her duties." The smile disappeared. "Privately, I agree, but I must make the most of this opportunity. I'm sorry you are going to be left guarding empty rooms."

Tord straightened. "That is not so. Milady yet remains within her chambers and we are to prevent anyone from disturbing her, as is proper. Go you about your errand, then, and return before the Baroness becomes annoyed at your tardiness."

Milsy whispered, "That's very good, Tord!" In a more normal tone she added, "Aye, Tord. We will be as quick as we may."

Kenila said, "This way, then," and set off to Milsy's right. At the intersection she turned left into a new corridor.

"Along here," she explained with a gesture, "are nurseries and schoolrooms for any royal children of appropriate age. The Duke's son Terinar was born in the palace and resided here until he was six, though his sister Korizet was born and raised in the castle."

"I see. And those rooms?" Milsy pointed to the other side.

"Rooms where nannies, governesses and tutors resided, though none are presently in residence. Of course, that may change when His Highness finally finds a bride."

They came to the next intersection which, like the last one, went all four ways.

"How does anyone know where they are in a place like this?" Milsy wondered aloud. "There are no windows, just walls and doors."

"Not so, Milsy. Certain corridors have windows, when the rooms they contain are large and to one side. Besides, each corridor is different than every other one, so it becomes easy in time to recognize where you are. Now, look along there." She indicated left.

"Huh? That looks exactly the same as the Royal Corridor, doesn't it? The only difference is there are no guardsmen standing around."

"Aye, the suites along this corridor are arranged exactly the same as those in the Royal Corridor. But see, the wood is of a different shade, the gilding on the corner posts and door frames is different. Though you may be fooled the first time, it soon becomes easy enough to tell which one you are in."

Milsy stared at the decoration on the woodwork. "If you say so. So, why do they have a whole separate set of rooms along here, then? Palarand only has one King, I deem."

"This corridor is where the Dukes reside when they come to visit, Milsy. It is also used for other august visitors to Their Majesties."

"Oh, of course. So, where next?"

"If we continue along this corridor," Kenila pointed straight ahead, "you will see that we come to another which is where some of the lesser but still important visitors to the palace are allocated rooms. For example -"

* * *

Milsy flung herself down on the settee.

"Phew! Learning the corridors in this place is almost as hard as learning our letters, Bursila!"

"I agree, Milady, though I will say that I learned much during our walk. Working for Lady Merizel it was only necessary to learn two or three routes through the palace. To discover the history of such a place is most interesting."

"As you say, though I wish that someone had put signs up telling everyone where they were. In certain parts of the castle we had to do that because visitors were getting lost all the time." She made a face. "Of course, most of the servants could not read the signs, but then we were expected to know where we were going."

Bursila nodded. "I agree, Milady. I would guess from experience that most servants, introduced to a new household, are left to fend for themselves."

Milsy shrugged. "Most probably don't ever see the inside of other houses, Bursila." She grimaced and pulled herself upright. "If you're 'Milady'ing me then I suppose I had better go and look like her, had I not? Let's go and get in the bath and then I can attempt to find another long gown to wear."

up
286 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Index entries updated

Another great chapter - so good!

I have updated the Index entries and the Chapter Lists ...

Milsy had a great idea about

Milsy had a great idea about lettering or numbering the corridors within the palace. Wonder if Garia had ever considered doing that as well?
If the palace is as big as it seems to be from the explanations; it would be a given eventually, to have better directions available for everyone to use.
There may actually be corridors that not even the king, queen and prince have seen or only visited maybe once or twice; so even they could get lost.

I wonder

How long it will take them to realize they could use a spring in place of a battery for the watches.

Liking what I am seeing

I am glad to see Milsy settling into her new role and learning to read and write. I am eager to see her journey as she blossoms into the Guildmistress she destined to become.

I would have to disagree about labeling the hallways of the palace, as it would make it easier for assassins to find their way to their targets. The labyrinth of hallways is also part of the defenses designed into castles to make it easier for defenders to move guards and troops to where they are needed while at the same time making it hard for attackers to find their way.

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

Learn ing to read...

Something we totally take for granted.