My Fathers Secret Part 16

Printer-friendly version


© May 2016


Chapter Thirty one: Do you really know her...?

     Dawn was already behind the desk on reception when Joan and Jessica arrived at the office on the Tuesday morning. She smiled at the two of them when she saw them walk in.

     “Good morning Mrs Green, Jessica.” Dawn said with a smile as they made their way over to the desk Dawn was stood behind.

     “Good Morning Dawn, and please call me Joan.” She scolded Dawn lightly.

     “Sorry, good morning Joan.” Dawn repeated using Joan’s first name this time.

     “Morning Dawn.” Jessica smiled, glad to see that Dawn had already sorted out a couple of clients with drinks while they waited for the solicitor to arrive that they were here to see. “I hope you don’t mind, but I am going to return to helping Joan and Debbie today, but please call me if you have any trouble.” Jessica added, so as not to worry Dawn, not that she thought Dawn would be worried about being on reception all alone, Jessica thought Dawn had done an amazing job the day before.

     “I don’t mind at all Jessica, and I’ll call if I have any questions.” Dawn promised.

    Another client entered the building and Joan and Jessica left to make their way through to their part of the building so Dawn could take care of the client.

    Debbie was already making a pot of coffee when Joan and Jessica entered the outer office where Jessica’s desk was located.

     “That’s my job...!” Jessica complained as she ran over to where Debbie was just drying some cups in the little kitchen area.

     “Good morning to you too.” Debbie laughed as she let Jessica take over.

     “Morning...” Jessica smiled as she wrapped her free arm around Debbie and hugged her just before she went back to sorting out the drinks for them all.

     “How’s Kirstin doing?” Debbie asked while she waited for Jessica to finish with the drinks so they could go into Joan’s office and drink them while they worked out a plan of attack for the day. Joan had already gone to her office to make a start on sorting things out ready for her first client.

     “She’s doing alright, but her area manager is really beginning to piss her off.” Jessica said in a whisper so as not to let Joan or anyone that might walk in on them hear her swearing.

     “Sounds to me like Kirstin has a good case for sexual harassment.” Debbie grinned.

     “I’m sure she does, but all that would get her is a quick trip to the unemployment line.” Jessica sighed. “The dirt bag is the nephew of the restaurant chains owner.” Jessica explained.

     “That shouldn’t make any difference...!” Debbie snapped. “The guy sounds like a creep, and he shouldn’t be allowed to get away with it.” Debbie sounded angry now.

     “I agree with you, but Kirstin can handle herself, and she’s already said that she will have a word with him and see if she can scare him into backing off, and maybe leaving all the other female staff alone.” Jessica grinned and she remembered just how sexy Kirstin looked when she was angry.

     “Well she knows where to find me if she changes her mind.” Debbie said just before she stepped out of the small kitchen and led the way to Joan’s office so they could enjoy their drink before they got to work.

    Jessica was all smiles as she enjoyed her drink and then she ran off to start sorting out files ready for Joan and Debbie’s first client of the day.

*****

    The next couple of days went well; Dawn had settled into her new role as Receptionist. Dawn would join Jessica, Joan and Debbie for lunch, and they all became good friends. Dawn had brought some photos of her two children in, and Joan informed Dawn that Carl had sent her all the details that his lawyers had managed to collect about all the things Dawn’s ex-wife had been doing to block Dawn getting access to their children.

    Jessica was just typing up a report when her office phone rang and she saw it was the main reception, so she picked it up expecting it to be Dawn with a question, but she found it to be one of the security guards instead.

     “I’m sorry to bother you Jessica, but there’s a little bit of a problem out here, and I think you and Mrs Green may want to come out and see if you can calm things down.” The guard said with some urgency in his voice.

    Jessica could hear a woman’s raised voice in the background as the guard tried to explain his reason for calling her and not Dawn. “Is that Dawn shouting in the background?” Jessica asked.

     “No, that is some woman and a man shouting at Dawn.” The guard replied.

     “I’ll be right out.” Jessica said just before she put the phone down and she got up to go and get Joan and Debbie.

     “Hello sweetie, you finished those reports already?” Joan sounded shocked to see Jessica in her office again so soon after finishing her last meeting.

     “No, but we have a problem at reception.” Jessica frowned. “A man and a woman are arguing with Dawn about something. I just got a call from security asking me to get you so we could sort it out.” Jessica added sounding eager to get out there and help Dawn deal with whoever it was shouting at her.

    Joan was soon on her feet and heading for her office door, Jessica stepped aside and then fell in behind her as Joan made her way over to Debbie’s office so she too could help if need be.

     “I think I may need your help out in reception.” Joan said after knocking on Debbie’s office door and then pocking her head around it. “Dawn’s having trouble with someone, Security have just called through to Jessica.” Joan explained.

    Debbie was soon following Joan and Jessica as they all made their way out to reception where they could already hear a woman’s voice shouting.

    Reception was fairly empty apart from the man and the woman shouting at Dawn, and the two security guards that were stopping the couple getting to close to a very upset looking Dawn, who was stood with slumped shoulders looking defeated for some reason. Jessica found this Dawn to be much less empowered than the one she had been working with the past couple of days.

     “What lies did you tell them to get this job then you queer...?” The woman snarled at Dawn as the security guard had to push the woman away from Dawn.

    Dawn just flinched back in fear of the woman, but never answered her or made eye contact with the woman.

     “If you don’t calm down and stop shouting abuse at my receptionist, I will have you thrown out, or even arrested for your comments.” Joan said with power in her voice as she stepped up to the woman and put herself between the security guard and the woman doing all the shouting.

     “That’s the thing that should be arrested...!” The woman snarled as she tried to point angrily at Dawn over Joan’s shoulder.

    Joan grabbed the woman’s hand and then twisted it to the side, forcing the woman to scream out in pain. “I’m not going to warn you again.” Joan said in a calm tone while still holding the woman’s wrist at a painful angle.

     “What the hell do you think you’re doing...?” The woman screamed out in pain as she tried to make Joan let her go, but she wasn’t able to make Joan release her.

     “I was defending myself, due to you trying to hit me.” Joan said in a matter of fact way. “Now are you going to explain the reason for your shouting at my receptionist?” Joan asked as she finally released the woman’s wrist.

     “I came to warn you that he is not really a woman, and he shouldn’t be working behind that desk.” The woman spat out each word as she looked straight at Dawn, while she rubbed her wrist where Joan had just had hold of it.

     “And just who might you be to come into my building and start making claims like that?” Joan asked, but she already had a pretty good idea who the woman was.

     “I used to be his wife, but god knows what I ever saw in him.” The woman snarled. “You little queer freak...!” She added.

     “I know all about Dawn’s past, and she’s not breaking any laws by working for me.” Joan said in a calm voice as she tried to keep her temper in check. “Which is more than I can say for a homophobic bitch like you.” Joan added as she let her anger start to show.

     “I’m not homophobic...!” The woman snapped back, but didn’t sound like she knew what Joan was talking about.

     “So you don’t deny that you’re a bitch then?” Joan asked, trying not to smirk as she saw the woman getting more and more flustered.

    The woman made a lunge at Joan, but she was pulled back by the man that was with her, and had not yet said a word.

     “I am neither a bitch, nor a homophobe.” The woman said as she made the man release her again.

     “Do you have a problem with your ex husband now being a woman called Dawn?” Joan asked pointedly and then waited for the woman to answer.

     “Hell yes I have a problem with it...!” The woman snapped.

     “Then that makes you homophobic, and I am well within my rights to call the police and have you arrested for it.” Joan informed the woman.

     “You have no idea who I am, and who my father is. Do you?” The woman sounded smug as she said it.

     “And you have no idea how much I don’t care.” Joan said as she brushed off the woman’s empty threat. “I have cameras all around the reception that record sound as well as pictures, and I will be filing for a restraining order to stop you coming within one hundred yards of Dawn after this little outburst.” Joan warned.

     “Do you think that will stop me...?” The woman sounded defiant still, like she had no idea what a restraining order actually meant.

     “Yes it will actually.” The man informed the woman, sounding nervous as he said it.

     “I’ll just pay other people to do it for me then.” The woman said sounding smug again like she’d just had a brilliant idea.

    Joan turned and looked at Dawn in such a way as to question what she ever saw in this woman to begin with. Dawn must have understood the look Joan gave her, because she just shrugged like she was beginning to question it as well. Joan could also see why the children wanted to spend more time with Dawn than their real mother.

     “I will be showing these recordings to the police, so if anything happens to Dawn after today, you will be top of the suspect list.” Joan smiled.

     “I really think we should leave Joanne.” The man tried to warn the woman as he started to pull her towards the exit.

    The woman the man had just called Joanne, pulled away from the man and tried to get in Joan’s face again, but once again she was tackled and soon found herself being spun around with Joan pushing the woman’s arm up her back.

     “Please remove this woman from the building, and she’s not to set foot in it again.” Joan said as she turned to look at one of the security guards that had now come over to assist Joan.

     “You can’t do this to me...!” The woman shouted as she fought with the two security men that were now almost carrying her out of the building. “Get your hands off me you thugs.” She added as she struggled, but she just looked foolish as she was carried out into the street and placed back on the ground just before the two men turned around and walked back over to the doors and entered again.

    Joan and the others watched as the woman had a screaming fit at the man with her, just before she stamped her feet like a small child and then stormed off out of sight.

     “You actually married that?” Jessica sounded shocked as she turned to look at Dawn.

     “She wasn’t like that when I first met her; she just became that person after I told her about wanting to be a woman.” Dawn snuffled as she tried to fight back the tears. “I’m sorry for all the trouble Joan.” Dawn added as she took a tissue that Jessica had just offered her. “I’ll collect my things and be on my way.” Dawn sighed as she turned to retrieve her purse and coat out a desk draw and small cupboard.

     “Where do you think you’re going young lady?” Joan asked, sounding more like a mother talking to her child than a woman running her own law firm.

     “You won’t want me working here now that everyone knows about my past.” Dawn pointed out as she looked at the two security guards in shame.

     “Don’t leave because of us.” One of the security men said. “I was about to smack that homophobic bitch myself.” He added with a growl while making a fist. “Sorry ma’am.” He added when he saw the look Joan gave him.

     “Doug has a boyfriend.” The other security guard informed them when he saw the shocked looks on all their faces.

     “Are you his boyfriend...?” Debbie asked for the group.

     “No...” The man laughed. “I’m straight, but I don’t have a problem with anyone who likes different things.” He added with a shrug.

     “So neither of you mind that I wasn’t always a woman?” Dawn asked, still looking shocked to find out that the two security guards weren’t bothered about her past.

     “I don’t have a problem with any of it.” Peter, the second security guard said with a shrug. “I think you look pretty hot actually.” He added just before he got a punch in the arm from Doug.

     “Less of that talk Pete.” Doug warned. “But he does have a point, you do look stunning.” He added as he waved his hand up and down in the direction of Dawn and what she was wearing.

     “Thank you.” Dawn blushed, not use to men paying her compliments, and not once they found out the truth.

     “Do you mind handling the reception while we go and help Dawn pull herself together?” Joan asked.

     “Take all the time you need.” Doug said as he stepped behind the desk ready for anyone that entered the building. “We’ve got this covered.” He added with a determined look on his face.

    Joan led Dawn and the other two back through to her office and Jessica cut off when they reached the kitchen area so she could make a drink for them all. Dawn wanted to help, but Jessica ordered her to go and sit down in Joan’s office before she fell down.

    Dawn, not wanting to argue with Jessica, did as she was told and let Joan and Debbie lead her into Joan’s office and then over to the sofas Joan had in the corner of the room.

     “I’m sorry you had to be a part of all that.” Dawn apologised again once the three of them were seated.

     “I’ve told you not to worry about it.” Joan said waving off Dawn’s worries. “I found it kind of fun actually.” Joan added with a cheeky grin.

     “I’m glad someone got a kick out of it.” Dawn said sarcastically.

     “Is this what the bitch did at all the other place’s you found work?” Debbie asked, still sounding angry over the way Dawn’s ex had acted out in the lobby.

     “Yes, she just keeps coming to each place and making a scene, and then the management would either ask me to leave, or the looks I got from the people I worked with after she’d been in, would affect my work enough to make me leave before I got fired for not doing my job properly.” Dawn sounded defeated as she said it, while she looked down at her lap and her painted nails.

     “Did you not realise that she was the one breaking the law.” Debbie tried to explain.

     “I knew she was, but once she’d been in, the damage was done, and I didn’t have the money to try and stop her.” Dawn said with tears in her eyes. “Joanne said she would only stop torturing me if I signed some papers giving her soul custody of our children, and I would never see them again once I’d signed.” Dawn added with tears streaming down her face over the thought of never getting to see her two children ever again.

     “We won’t let that happen, and she’s been dealt a big blow in her plan, now she knows that you will be keeping this job, and having us fighting in your corner.” Joan said with an evil grin on her face as she rubbed her hands together like she was looking forward to taking on Dawn’s ex and her family.

     “But I can’t afford to hire you Joan.” Dawn argued.

     “Company cover is all part of your job, so it won’t cost you a penny.” Joan counted with a wave of her hand. “And besides I’m not the only one your ex has upset.” Joan added with a grin.

     “I don’t know what you mean?” Dawn looked confused.

     “When Carl called me and asked if I’d be willing to give you a chance, he also told me about all the trouble you were having with your ex, and he said that he would hire me if it came to it because he didn’t like the way you were being treated.” Joan smiled proudly. “I think he was one step away from buying a company up here, just so he could hire you to run it.” Joan added with a smirk.

     “That sounds like Carl.” Dawn smiled.

     “I’m not just doing all this because you now work for me Dawn, I am also doing this because I really like you, and I think it’s about time you had some friends helping you.” Joan said as she joined Dawn on the sofa and she pulled the frightened looking woman into a hug.

     “It’s been some time since I had a good hug from anyone.” Dawn admitted with a sigh as she enjoyed the hug from Joan.

    Joan was about to speak, but she stopped when she heard Jessica’s worried voice from the doorway where she was stood with a tray of drinks for the four of them. “Is everything alright...?” Jessica asked as she dashed over and put the tray down on the coffee table between the sofas and then sat the other side of Dawn to where Joan was sat hugging her still.

     “I feel much better now I know I’m not on my own.” Dawn said with a smile as she broke the hug with Joan and turned in the seat to look at Jessica’s worried face.

     “I can see how lucky I’ve been with my transition when I see how that woman just treated you.” Jessica said as she held out her arms offering to give Dawn a hug.

     “You are lucky, just as I am to have been offered such a wonderful job working here with all of you.” Dawn smiled as she accepted the hug.

     “I just don’t understand why people have to be that way though.” Jessica said as she broke the hug and looked at Dawn’s tear streaked face. “If she hates you that much, then why keep bothering you?” Jessica asked.

     “I’m not sure anyone can truly explain the reason behind Joanne doing half the things she’s done to me since we divorced.” Dawn said with a sigh. “I think most of it is coming from her father, he’s the biggest homophobe I’ve ever met.” Dawn added with a roll of her eyes. “I won’t have my grandchildren exposed to whatever it is affecting you...!” Dawn said in a deep voice as she tried to mimic her ex father in law.

    Jessica had to slap a hand over her mouth as she tried to hide a giggle. “Sorry.” Jessica mumbled through her hand. “You just sound so funny when you talk like that compared to how you look.” Jessica added, still with her hand covering her mouth.

     “I don’t mind.” Dawn grinned. “I do find it funny that Joanne’s father thinks it’s a disease I have.” Dawn rolled her eyes again.

     “He sounds like a real piece of work.” Jessica frowned.

     “I can think of a few names for him as well.” Joan grumbled, but stopped short of actually saying any of them.

     “I’m sure that I would agree with all of them, and even think of a few more to add to it.” Dawn smiled a wicked smile.

     “I have a feeling that I’ll get to meet him at some point.” Joan said with a raised eyebrow.

     “What makes you think that mother?” Jessica asked with worry in her voice.

     “His spoilt brat of a daughter will run back to her father with her tail between her legs, and he will want to step in trying to make his daughter think he can sort out any little problem she has, but he’s about to learn a very important lesson about messing with a friend of mine.” Joan had an edge to her voice that left Dawn, Jessica and Debbie feeling sorry for Joanne’s father.

     “Joanne’s father can be a bit of a hot head when it comes to protecting his little girl, as he calls Joanne.” Dawn warned.

     “So can I and I bet I understand the law a little better than he does as well.” Joan sounded proud of that little fact.

     “Did you always know that you felt like this, even before you got married?” Jessica asked as she tried to change the subject a little, she was getting a little sick of talking about Dawn’s ex father in law, and what a total asshole he seemed to be.

     “I always knew that something was different, even from a young age, but I thought it was just a crossdressing thing, and I stopped when I started dating Joanne.” Dawn started to explain. “But then I started steeling Joanne’s things while she was out or away for a couple of days.” Dawn added with shame in her voice.

     “Did she ever catch you wearing her things?” Jessica asked, sounding just a little bit too excited about it.

     “Yes she did, and I thought she would blow her top, but she found it more exciting than I did to begin with.” Dawn looked thoughtful as she spoke and remembered what Joanne use to be like.

     “So what happened to her then...?” Jessica asked.

     “I’m not sure, she just told me one day that I was never to let her see me wearing female clothes again.” Dawn shrugged.

     “She never gave you a reason for it?” Jessica sounded shocked as she asked.

     “Nope, and she got angry when I tried to bring it up with her.” Dawn sighed heavily. “I tried to stop, but the more I saw other women walking around wearing beautiful clothing, while I was stuck trying to be a man, the worse my depression got.” Dawn admitted. “Joanne got pregnant and for the next ten years I managed to play the good husband and loving father, but in the end I just knew I had to follow my dream and start living as a woman.” Dawn sounded proud of her choice.

     “And I gather Joanne didn’t take it too well when you told her?” Joan asked with a frown because she already knew the answer.

     “She freaked out and called her father when I told her, and within the hour I was being forcibly removed from the house by him and a couple of his security men.” Dawn shuddered at the memory of that day all those years ago. “I had nothing but the shirt on my back, but I did have my cell phone, so I called Carl and explained to him what had happened, and he helped me to get back on my feet, and even found me a job until I had my final surgery and I came back up here so I could fight to see my children.” Dawn smiled as she thought of her two children and how accepting they were of Dawn.

     “What do your children think of you being Dawn now and not their father anymore?” Debbie asked this question.

     “They both wish that I was their real mother, which is another reason Joanne doesn’t like me very much anymore.” Dawn admitted.

     “I can see why that would cause some problems; does Joanne know any of this?” Jessica asked with a pained look.

     “Yes, she stopped me from taking the children for the day once, and they both shouted it to her as they ran back into the house.” Dawn shrugged.

     “Does Joanne stop you taking the children very often?” Joan asked, sounding all business as she asked.

     “Yes, and I can only see them now if there is a social worker there.” Dawn said this with tears in her eyes. “Joanne’s father had something to do with that, he managed to convince someone that I was a risk, and I shouldn’t be left alone with the children.” Dawn added with anger in her voice as she dabbed at her eyes with a tissue.

     “Does your ex love the children, or are they just a stick to beat you with?” Joan asked, but already had a pretty good idea that the children were just a weapon to use against Dawn in custody battles.

     “All Joanne cares about is looking good and what time the clothes shops open.” Dawn said with a roll of her eyes. “She only had the children to stop her father complaining.” Dawn added with more anger in her voice. “Right after she gave birth to both the children, she was in with a personal trainer trying to get her figure back.” Dawn sounded like she didn’t believe her own words.

    Joan. Jessica and Debbie all sat with their mouths hanging open, not able to believe that someone could be so shallow, but none of them had any reason to think Dawn was lying, and having met Joanne, they could actually believe she’d do something like that.

    They all finished their drinks, and then Dawn went with Debbie, so they could make a start on a restraining order to stop Joanne or anyone else connected to her family coming anywhere near Dawn. Jessica had gone to keep an eye on the main reception for Dawn while she got everything sorted out.

*****

    Doug and Peter the two security men were busy dealing with some clients when Jessica returned to the main desk in reception, so she tidied up the desk and left them to finish sorting them out, but they both came back to the desk eager to find out if Dawn was alright after the trouble from earlier.

     “Will Dawn be alright...?” Doug asked for the two of them.

     “Yes, she’s doing alright, but she has been having a pretty rough time of it lately.” Jessica admitted.

     “I hope you understand that Doug and I don’t have any problem with Dawn’s past.” Peter said to make sure Dawn would feel alright working with the two of them still.

     “Why would I need to understand anything?” Jessica asked as she tried to keep the worry out of her voice while thinking that they knew about her secret.

     “Doug and I can see that you and Dawn have become good friends already, and we worry about what you think of us.” Peter admitted.

    Jessica relaxed and let out the breath she’d been holding without realising it when she understood that neither of them had worked out her secret, and they actually respected her. Jessica found it a little odd that two large grown men respected her, whereas as Jonathon she had trouble finding anyone to even like her, never mind respect her. “Just keep treating Dawn the way you have been, and we won’t have any trouble.” Jessica smiled.

     “I was actually thinking of asking Dawn out for a drink.” Peter sounded nervous as he admitted it.

     “So what’s stopping you?” Doug asked with a grin while bumping Peter with his elbow.

     “The odd thing is, nothing has changed, and I still want to ask her out for a drink.” Peter nervously ran a hand through his hair as he said it. “Does that make me gay...?” Peter asked worriedly.

     “I’d say yes if Dawn was still a man, and just wearing female clothes, but from what I understand, Dawn is a woman now, and even undressed would still look like Jessica here.” Doug tried to explain.

    Jessica hoped that Doug and Peter didn’t notice a flush come to her cheeks when she thought about the two men seeing her naked and finding out her secret, and how much she had in common with Dawn at one point in Dawn’s past. Now Jessica was left feeling jealous of Dawn most the time, wishing that she was at the point where she could look in the mirror and just see a woman looking back. Jessica was soon snapped out of her daydreams when she heard Peter speaking again.

     “So do you think I should still ask her out then?” Peter asked Jessica and Doug.

     “Only if you can deal with what you know now.” Jessica advised. “I’m not sure Dawn is looking to start dating yet, but I don’t want you hurting her feelings by acting all weird with her later in the relationship.” Jessica warned.

     “Hurting Dawn is the last thing I want to do.” Peter said with hurt in his voice. “I think she’s amazing, and even more so now I know what she’s been through.” Peter added with pride in his voice for Dawn.

    Jessica was just about to tell Peter to give it his best shot, but to make sure he made it sound special, due to it being the first time Dawn had actually been asked out by someone that knew her secret, and wasn’t bothered by any of it, but she stopped herself when she heard the screeching of brakes as she, Doug and Peter all saw a Black Jaguar pull up right outside the entrance to the building.

     “Someone doesn’t look happy.” Doug said as he saw a man get out the car and then he helped someone to get out the passenger side.

    Jessica let out a groan when she saw that the man was helping Joanne to get out of the car. Jessica realised that the man must be Joanne’s father, and the world’s biggest homophobe.

     “Don’t let either of them into the building, and I’ll go get Joan.” Jessica said as she pointed at the entrance just before she ran off towards Joan’s office with the clicking sound of her heels on the marble floor. Jessica loved the sound her heels made when she dashed around, but she didn’t have time to revel in it at the minute. Jessica found it empowering to hear most the time.

    Joan was just nibbling on a cookie she’d sneaked out of her desk draw when Jessica burst into the room without bothering to knock. Joan crushed the cookie, showing her desk in crumbs as she jumped.

     “Have you forgotten how to knock...?” Joan asked as she tried to recover and brush the crumbs off the desk, while not spitting out what she had in her mouth.

     “I think we have a little bit of a problem just pull up outside.” Jessica tried to explain while not bursting out in a fit of giggles over Joan being caught with her secret stash of cookies.

     “And why do you think that?” Joan asked with a raised eyebrow.

     “Joanne is back, and I think she’s brought her father with her.” Jessica said with a worried look.

     “Did you tell Doug and Peter not to let them into the building?” Joan asked as she rose to her feet and stepped around her desk to go with Jessica back out to reception.

     “Yes, I told them not to let them into the building at any cost.” Jessica smiled as she followed Joan out of her office.

    Rather than making her way out to reception, Joan knocked on Debbie’s office door where she knew Debbie was helping Dawn sort out the paperwork for the restraining order. Joan gave Jessica a pointed look to let her know that the knock was more to show Jessica how to do it rather than anything else.

    Jessica got the message and responded by sticking her tongue out at Joan, which just made Joan smile as she slapped Jessica on the arm like a mother telling off a child for playing up.

     “I think you better stay in here Dawn.” Joan said when she poked her head around the door after Debbie shouted for her to enter.

     “Is everything alright...?” Debbie asked with a puzzled look.

     “Joanne is back, and Jessica thinks she’s brought her father with her.” Joan frowned.

     “Shouldn’t I come with you then?” Dawn asked as she started to get up out her seat.

     “I think that you being out there would just make matters worse.” Joan admitted. “Let me deal with this for you.” Joan added just before she was gone again.

    Joan made her way out to reception with Jessica following close behind. Joan could see a man stood with Joanne at his side and the man was screaming at Doug and Peter. The man was red faced and Joan wondered if his head might explode any second. Joan gave a little smile as she realised that this man had very little control over his anger, this was something Joan liked because she saw it as a good sign when it came to negotiating a settlement. It also worked well when you wanted to tip someone over the edge, which is what Joan planned to do with this nasty little man.

     “That’s the woman that assaulted me daddy...!” Joanne said when she saw Joan and Jessica step out of the building.

     “How dare you lay a hand on my little girl...!” The man said as he tried to lunge for Joan, but Peter pushed him back with one hand. The man had a large man with him, but he was being kept at a distance by Doug.

     “It was in fact your daughter who assaulted me.” Joan said in a calm voice. “I can let you have a copy of the CCTV footage if you would like?” Joan asked sounding just as calm, if not a little smug. “I thought we had all this sorted out when your daughter was here earlier with the other man?”

     “I’ve fired him.” The man snapped. “Useless waste of space.” The man added as he stepped back and straightened up his suit again.

    Joan raised an eyebrow at the man, she thought he was dumber than he looked if he was willing to fire his own solicitor because he didn’t tell this man what he wanted to hear.

     “So what do you expect to get out of causing a scene in front of my building?” Joan asked. “I will be forced to call the police if you don’t leave.” Joan warned.

     “It’s a little late for that sweetheart.” The man sounded smug with himself as he said it. “I’ve already called them.” The man added, and as if on cue there were the sounds of sirens as a couple of police cars came around the corner and pulled up to the curb.

    The man was still smiling when he saw the officers get out the car and walk over to where they were all stood outside the main entrance to Joan’s office building, but his smile started to fade when he saw that Joan didn’t look worried by the police turning up. The man’s face turned to one of worry as Joan started to explain what had happened earlier.

     “Do you mind if we step inside and take a look at this footage?” The police officer in charge asked when Joan had finished explaining.

     “You may enter the building officer, but I don’t want them entering.” Joan said as she pointed at Joanne and her father.

     “Keep an eye on those two while I step inside and view the CCTV footage.” The officer said to the other police officers with him just before he turned to enter the building with Joan, but he stopped when Joanne’s father started shouting again.

     “We’re not the criminals here...! She’s the one that assaulted my daughter...!” Joanne’s father shouted.

     “Once I’ve viewed the footage from earlier, I will be able to work out whom, if anyone should be arrested for anything.” The officer said. Joan could tell that this police officer liked Joanne’s father about as much as she did, which was zero.

     “She should be arrested just for giving that queer a job in the first place...!” Joanne’s father snapped angrily as he jabbed a finger in Joan’s direction.

     “If you don’t keep quiet sir, I’ll be forced to arrest you for a public order offence.” The officer warned as he stepped over and got right in Joanne’s father’s face.

    Joanne’s father went to speak again, but he stopped when Joanne pleaded with him to keep quiet. Joan was impressed that Joanne could see that her father was digging himself a deeper hole, even if he couldn’t. Joan just smiled at Joanne when she starred daggers at her.

     “I’m sorry that you had to witness that.” The officer said as he followed Joan into the building.

     “I’m sorry that they felt the need to involve you in this matter at all.” Joan said as she waved off the officer’s apology.

    Joan led the officer and Jessica into a room where there were another couple of security guards sat at a bank of monitors.

     “Can you pull up the footage from earlier today, when that woman was here with that other man?” Joan asked the men.

     “Yes ma’am.” One of the men said as he started tapping away on a computer. Soon they were all stood watching the footage of when Joanne first arrived, and the officer could see from this footage that Joan was right, and it was in fact Joanne that tried to attack Joan, and Joan had just defended herself.

     “Do you want to press charges?” The officer asked while he waited for the security officer to cut him a copy of the Footage to a DVD.

     “I have no interest in filing charges against her.” Joan said sounding slightly insulted by the question. “I just want them to get away from my building and stop bothering my staff.” Joan added.

     “As you wish.” The officer smiled, but Joan thought the officer sounded a little disappointed by Joan’s choice. “I will be making a note of this incident, so it should help with the restraining order against them.” The officer added.

    Joan had explained the reason for all the trouble, and the officer had also heard it all as they viewed the CCTV footage. Joan was glad that she’d turned everything around and Joanne’s turning up at the building to get Dawn fired, and backfired on them.

    Joanne and her father were still being held when Joan and the others returned to the outside of the building. Before the officer had time to speak though, Joanne’s father was already shouting and carrying on.

     “Why isn’t she in cuffs...?” Joanne’s father shouted as he looked at Joan.

     “Having viewed the footage, it is actually your daughter I should be arresting, but Mrs Green doesn’t want to press charges.” The officer explained through gritted teeth. He really didn’t like this man very much.

     “Arrest my daughter...?” Joanne’s father screamed so load that the officer had to cup his ears. “My daughter is the victim here; she was tricked into marrying that queer hiding in there.” He snapped while pointing towards the building where he knew Dawn to be.

    Joan and Jessica were left smiling as they watched Joanne’s father get arrested for a public order offence. Joanne was left opened mouthed as she watched her father get arrested and loaded into the back of a police car.

     “What will happen to him now?” Jessica asked as she watched Joanne’s father still screaming and shouting from the back seat of the police car.

     “Sadly he will just get a fine and a warning not to voice is personal views in public anymore.” The officer said with a sigh like he’d like to do more with him. “I think I will call for a police van though to take him down to the station.” He added when he saw how agitated Joanne’s father was in the back seat of the police car.

    Good to his word, Joan and Jessica watched as a police van arrived and Joanne’s father was removed from the police car and placed in the back of a police van before being driven away to be charged with a public disorder offence.

    Joan, Jessica, Doug and Peter all went back into the building and looked at a confused looking Joanne who had been left out on the pavement looking confused as to what had just happened. Joanne’s look of confusion was soon replaced with one of horror as she realised that her father had just been arrested and taken away, and he was the one with the car keys to the Jaguar they had arrived in.

    Joanne stood outside with her father’s right hand man, who looked like a bit of a thug, but he was still no match for Doug or Peter. Joanne looked to be calling someone trying to track down a set of keys for the car, but wasn’t having much luck, her luck went from bad to worse when she saw a recovery wagon arrive and tow her father’s car away. Joan wondered if that was another little thing the police officer had arranged after spending so much time with Joanne’s father.

    Once Joanne had watched her father’s car being taken away, she must have called for a taxi because she got in one and drove away with her father’s thug in tow.

*****

    Debbie had taken Dawn to the surveillance room where Joan had taken the police officer, when Joan and Jessica went back into the building. Dawn had a silly looking grin on her face when Joan and Jessica walked into the room.

     “I trust that smile means you saw what happened?” Joan asked with a smirk.

     “Yes, I saw every little detail.” Dawn giggled as she clapped her hands together. “How did you manage to get him arrested though?” Dawn asked with shock in her voice.

     “He did it all on his own.” Joan shrugged. “He should learn to keep his mouth shut while stood in front of a policeman.” Joan added with a sigh, but she didn’t look very sorry for what just happened as she started to smirk again.

     “He was arrested on a section five public order offence.” Jessica explained when Dawn looked at Joan with a puzzled look. “I think that’s what the officer said who was reading him his rights.” Jessica added with a grin.

     “Well he was being a form of racist.” Joan pointed out, not sure what it came under, but either way it wasn’t very nice to hear him calling Dawn all those names.

     “What will happen to him now?” Dawn asked.

     “The officer said he’d end up with a fine and a warning, but I have a feeling it will be some time before he’s released if that officer has anything to do with it.” Joan smiled.

     “With a bit of luck they might lose the key to his cell, or forget all about him and lose the paperwork.” Dawn sounded hopeful, but knew that things like that don’t really happen, and he would be out in no time trying to cause more trouble for her.

     “We can all live in hope.” Jessica agreed.

     “Thank you for all the help Joan and I’m sorry that you had to deal with him.” Dawn said as she walked over towards the door that led back out to reception. “If you don’t mind, I’d like to get back to work now.” Dawn added with a smile.

    Joan was happy to let Dawn go back to her job on reception, while she, Jessica and Debbie got back to their part of the building so they could get back to work themselves.

     “Do you mind if I go with Dawn and make sure she’s alright?” Jessica asked as she looked at Joan hopefully.

     “I don’t mind, but don’t forget I still need you to type up those reports.” Joan reminded her.

     “I’ll be there just as soon as I know Dawn is really alright.” Jessica promised just before she left the room to follow Dawn out to reception. Jessica wanted to see if Peter was going to ask Dawn out on a date, and whether or not Dawn would accept the offer.

 

To Be Continued Next Monday  GRIN

 

Story by SaraUK

 

Edited and Posted by SamanthaK

    EDITORS NOTE: Please Comment and/or leave Kudos and let Sara know you like her work please, Any comments on spelling, grammar or the layout of the story please PM me “Samanthak” not Sara. Thank you

    Authors Note: Cathy, Jane and all the others that Jessica and Joan meet while down in London, are all characters I wrote about in my; You Have it all Wrong series. Even though you don’t hear about Jane’s story until book four ‘You have it all Wrong Four, the Kids Story’ the time line for this story is set between book three and book four. So to find out more about Chrissy, Amy and Cathy, and how they all became the women they are in this story, you will need to go back and read them.

    Hugs

    SaraUK

up
219 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

story

As always a great chapter. Thank you it's good to see your back from your real life. And I hope you take good care of your self.

That was....

EPIC!! lol I was laughing so hard I almost sprayed my soda! Sooo can't wait to see what happens next!

Sara

Poor Dawn ....

Sammi's picture

.... Though her ex-father-in-law is about to find out that he isn't as high on the food chain as his deluded narrow mind believes he is.

Great episode Sara, can't wait for the next.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

Amazing...

Wow. Just wow. Amazing chapter, Sara. Money can't buy you common sense or common decency. Quit while you are behind, but apparently the rules don't apply to him until he meets people who he can't buy off.

I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to go after the law firm through civil suit for assault and other unsavory means, but hopefully they can only muddy the waters so much until they create solid ground for Joan to stand on and make them regret their actions.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Very good

Very good

Very good

Very good

Joan Shows She's Not To BeTrifled With

jengrl's picture

The way Joan took charge of the situation ,should serve notice to Dawn's ex and her father, that she isnt going to be messed with . Something tells me they aren't that bright ! Joan is a force by herself, but the brainless wonders apparently don't realize that Dawn also has the power of Carl Wayne backing her up as well. Debbie and Jessica are also in her corner, so I think the odds of JoAnne being able to push her around just went down drastically! Love this story just like everything you do, Sara!

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Good story

The performances of Joanne and her dad are demonstrations of what happens when a person's desire to hurt someone else overrides their logical thought processes. In other words when you are really mad, you can't think straight.

I sort of feel sorry for Joanne, she has had her life turned over too, but that should not give her the right to destroy Dawn's chance to live her life or to prevent her from seeing her children. Joanne needs counseling!

Thank you for continuing this story.

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

Well gotta wonder

Well who is Joanne's father when he's at home?

I very much look forward to the ego-deflation to come.

Really stepped in it

Jamie Lee's picture

Dawn has finally found people who aren't put off by her past, she has a job she likes and is good at, and then the pet monkey shows up and makes a scene.

The pet monkey gets her wings clipped and has to fly by assistance from Peter and Doug.

Is she done, did she get the message? Noo...she went and whined to her daddy that the mean kids wouldn't throw her the ball.

She and her dad are both a piece of work. The ole man must have been given everything he wanted as a kid. And from the way he acted, watched as his dad threw his weight around until he got what he wanted. Even if it made him look like an ass.

Joanne ' s dad treated her as his dad treated him. As a result, she felt empowered to do and get anything she wanted. This was probably the first time either didn't get what they wanted. But got what they didn't expect.

The girls haven't heard the last of those two. He will be out for revenge and his daughter will be right there with him. Only problem they'll face is a few people who know neither of those two walk on water.

And daughter is about to learn the truth about being accused of being a bad parent.

Wonder if either could use a shovel with a longer handle?

Others have feelings too.