Julina of Blackstone - 069 - Integration

Printer-friendly version

The Royal Party settle in

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles, Book 2

by Julia Phillips

069 – Integration


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
069 – Integration

“Well, Your Honour, that's not exactly what happened.”

My mind was racing to find some excuse not to get the Einnlanders into trouble.

When I had collided with him, here in the eastern extension of what we now call 'The Axis', Jerk had grabbed me into a tight embrace and swiftly put his hand on the hilt of his sword. It was only a few heartbeats later that I realised he was in fact protecting me from his colleagues, but he was almost shouting at them in his own tongue, and they were shouting back, so my heartbeat was rapid and my fear high.

Now, several moments later, there were far more people involved. I knew them all but recognised that the Captain was the one I had to convince most. I knew him to be an extremely capable reader of people and could only hope that the dim light from the lanterns a couple of the others were holding was insufficient to allow him to read my face accurately.

“So what, exactly, did happen then, Mistress?”

“You see, normally I leave work here much later of an evening and am mostly the only one afoot at that time. So, when I finally managed at last to get an early night, I did not consider other footgoers. I am just so used to stepping out into this lane and walking home that I did not even look. I just closed the door behind me and stepped out. Which is why I might have squealed a little when I bounced off this man.”

We in Town all knew by then that the Captain did not approve of the Einnlanders very much, although I would never suggest he would ever go out of his way to find something to charge them with. But we knew he would never be averse to listening carefully when they were involved. Some incident down in the Palace at the time of the Wedding celebrations had soured his view of these men.

However, when he spoke again, 'twas surprising that he laughed a little then: “Were I to employ the same distortion, but in the opposite way, then I would suggest your scream might have woken the signallers atop the Strettalm!”

“I'm sure I was not THAT loud, Your Honour.”

A giggle came from Em then: “A little squeal it was not, Julina. 'Tis why we all came.”

I looked again at the group all around me. Em and Kelly were the only other women present. The Captain had arrived just after Fedren and Suril. He, the Captain that is, was in the company of Bezan and, to my surprise, Ponstib and Subrish.

Oh poo! Subrish is also a Captain. This is getting tricky what with two Princes, two Counts and now two Captains.

I dragged my thoughts back to where they should be. 'Twas the latter who had ordered the Einnlanders to stand in a file off to one side, his commands made in their own tongue to avoid any possible confusion.

I hurried on with my interpretation of events, hoping that the four furry men would understand that I was finding an explanation that would not result in any charges against them: “So when I squealed … er screamed, that is … out of surprise … these brave men all leapt to my defence, thinking I was being attacked. Those two there immediately drew their weapons to form an advance guard, and these two held me close lest anyone or thing out there got through the others. There was some confusion at first as they searched the darkness for the dangers. They spoke in their own speech, so I knew not what they were saying, nor who was ordering whom, but Jerk here seemed to me to take charge. Eventually 'twas all resolved, quite rapidly when Masters Fedren and Suril came arunning with a lantern, and Mistresses Michet and Kellonika came out the house with a lantern themselves.”

“I see,” said the Captain. “That's the way of it, is it? Very well! So I find I must say 'well done' to you men!”

I breathed a silent sigh of relief for I now knew he realised that some praise would be due, if my tale was to be believed. And yet I could tell there was a little doubt still in his mind. “But Mistress, this would not have arisen had you not been walking the streets at night alone, if I ma ...”

I interrupted him firmly: “Captain, with all the very greatest of respect, that has to be utter nonsense. If I had another female to see me home, then she herself would have to walk home to HER house alone, unless we started with three. Then those two must needs part. And so it goes on until we end up with two women who share accommodation somehow.” He started to speak again, but again I firmly carried on. “And from day to day, I never know when I will have finished my tasks; I cannot ask anyone to just sit in a corner for bell after bell on the off chance that I might want to go somewhere.

“It could be said that habits in this town should be changed along with so much else that is changing. Why should it be that women are not allowed to walk about alone?”

The Captain then surprised me by not replying to me directly, instead swinging round on Kelly: “Mistress Kellonika, I understand that you have recently taken over some of Mistress Julina's duties in the Salon, so much so that you are now the last to leave and you travel home alone, also late at night?”

“Indeed so, Your Honour.”

“And do you not have the same problems that Mistress Julina here has?”

“Not really, Your Honour. For my way home is simply up Main Street, and for a shorter distance than that of Mistress Julina. And nowadays, there is a certain amount of light on Main Street, with those Sethan lamps, so I have a better vision about me.”

“Hmm. I deem we have finally found a positive for the presence of those street lights. They provide a certain degree more safety for our womenfolk in the Bells of darkness. Bezan, that's something we should consider at the next Assembly Meet I deem.”

“Very well, Your Honour,” said Bezan. “And now the end is near. With the greatest of respect to you all, I find myself in need of a bed too. Our discussions with regards to designing the barracks with Quadrant Ponstib and Captain Subrish, as well as Bailiss Michet, are at an end, and I look forward to the follow up in a pair of days time. But for now, I shall go and dream. Good night, all.”

He sketched a small salute and turned on his heel as we all murmured our own wishes to him. I was impressed that all these men, and Em of course, had been discussing town affairs until so late at night. I had thought that we in the Salon were the only late workers. And then I remembered that, tonight, I was early going home, quite a lot earlier than my norm. But still, it was somehow reassuring to know that our planners were prepared to put in late time.

When Subrish stated that he and the Einnlanders would escort me home, then the Captain and Quadrant Ponstib withdrew as well, but only after asking me with their eyes if I was happy with that.

Kelly objected: “There are now five men around you 'Lina, all out-of-towners. Is this wise?”

“Subrish here is Epp's brother. His reputation is on the line here, as well as Epp's. I doubt not that everything shall pass as it ought. These soldiers are not drunk, well not obviously so, so I doubt not they shall also be in control of themselves.”

Em and Kelly looked at each other. It was their turn for eye-speak, even in that dim light, and Em said: “We shall accompany you, then we two can return here. You need not go with the men.”

“In that case,” said Subrish, “I shall accompany the three of you alone and send these four off up to the Community Hall. I need a quick word with Julina here anyway.”

Putting his intentions into words, he then turned to the Einnlanders and gave them some orders. They responded, he spoke again, they agreed. Before they departed though, Jerk turned to me and said: “We thank you for words. We not in trouble because. You good lady.”

“Aye!” said each of the other three before they turned and went away.

We four waited just a breath or three, then started out, at first following them.

When they got to the junction of The Axis with East Street, they chose to turn left and go up its slope, presumably before soon turning right and climbing up the gentle slope of Middle Cross Lane, thus to gain the Dam Road and thence to the Community Hall. They were arguing amongst themselves before they even got as far as East Street.

When we got to East Street, we turned the other way.

Subrish started the conversation proper, interrupting our chatter to do so: “Julina, you were lucky those men were relatively sober. I have no doubt that your story covers the facts, but I got a flavour of parts of it being invented. But I can tell you, you have four faithful fans now. They realised the trouble they would have got in had anything … nasty … happened.”

“How know you that, Captain?” asked Kelly.

“Mistress Kellonika, I fought with two of them, that Jerk and Maarku. I speak a little of their language.”

“You fought with them? And yet you speak with them? And can order them about?” She was so intent upon her amazed questioning of Subrish that she failed to see Em's nod of agreement, supporting Subrish's statement.

“'Twould have been better had I said that I fought alongside them, Mistress. That sort of 'with'. Down at Boldan's Rock in the last Yodan War.”

“Ah! I see! I thought you meant at first that they had been your opponents!” she replied, with a relieved sort of giggle.

He turned back to me. “Now Julina, what REALLY happened?”

“'Twas as I said, Subrish. I am so unaccustomed to seeing anyone outside when I use that side door, it was all a big surprise.”

“Come now, Julina. So loud a scream would not have been uttered if you were not frightened. And I know that Captain Bleskin picked up on that too.”

“Very well, then. I collided quite heavily into Jerk's chest. The beard and the fur told me immediately that he was an Einnlander, and then there were other voices and I realised that there were at least three of them. And you have told me more than once to avoid Einnlanders when they are drunk. I was scared for a breath or two.”

“Ah! That's a little more like it. I shall not press you further. But you must take more care in the future.”

“So why are there so many Einnlanders with the Royal Party?” asked Kelly.

“Ah! That is a logical question, but a complicated answer. For now, I shall give you the short answer. Prince Torulf of Einnland was attached to the party for him to learn more of Palarand in particular, and he needed, of course, his own personal bodyguard, so two Einnlanders were chosen somehow from his guard. But Prince Keren, or perchance 'twas his father, did not want to have two untrained, mayhap untamed, Einnlanders alone. Meanwhile Princess Eriana is planning an upriver mission with her ship, the Visund, for which she requires as many of her crew as possible, so it was decided that just two of those who went to Boldan's Rock would join the Princes, to balance the other two, and to gently train them in the Palarandi way of doing things. Two experienced warriors and two inexperienced newcomers. Balance you see. Balance.”

Then Em joined in: “But there are surely, Captain Subrish, more Einnlanders than those four?”

“Ah, yes! Very well then, I shall go a little deeper. Princess Eriana arrived in the Great Valley, well in Plif to start with, aboard the Visund and eventually left what they call a 'basic' crew behind with the ship, to guard it and repair it and so on. The great majority of the crew then were taken to an estate outside Palarand City, something like the Kalland or Kallend, or maybe 'twas Kelland, no matter, Estate where the first Palarandi university is being built. There...”

“University?” I squeaked, sensing that here was something I should learn about.

“Not now, please Julina! I will explain some other time.

“Anyway ... back to the Einnlanders ... There at that Estate the entire crew were trained in Palarandi soldiering and with Her Highness' unarmed combat techniques and with Valley weapons and all that. Finally, the team, the 'Einnland Regiment', was selected from amongst them. However, a hand or more were NOT selected. One of them, Vidrik, had damaged an ankle in the crashlanding in Plif; it had not healed properly, so he was unable to train as hard as the others and consequently has less stamina. He is a ferocious fighter, but would have held the others back. He requested, which request was granted, to join Her Highness' personal guard. He has specialised in close defence with Her Highness. He was the smaller one this e'en.”

“Ah! And with Her Highness despatched on this other special mission, he couldn't go with her so he was sort of left with the group?” asked Kelly.

“Exactly!”

We had by then reached my home, and we dropped our voices lest we wake the children. I was about to say good-night along with my thanks, when Kelly piped up once more: “And there was that taller one, thin and lanky?”

Subrish sighed. “Yes, Sigsten is his name. He is the final one on this particular trip. He also came on the ship with Princess Eriana and did all the training and so on.”

Something in his voice told me he didn't want to elaborate further, which naturally piqued my curiosity. So much so, that I had to ask: “And he is here because …?”

He sighed again, more heavily this time. “My short answer has already gone way beyond that which I intended. And I really shall not say any more, and I really mean that – not another word, other than to say that Sigsten is here as a trained soldier in reserve but principally as Senidet's assistant. Now I bid you good-night, Julina. Ladies, shall you accompany me back to your Salon?”

“You can't leave now, Subrish!” I stopped abruptly since I realised I was getting dangerously loud, so I forced my voice to be a little quieter. “Senidet? Assistant? In what? Why does she need one? How did an Einnlander become involved? Oh, there are a million questions you have now opened up.”

He just laughed and turned on his heel, ushering the other two to go with him. They laughed too.

I reacted as, I only later realised, they expected.

I stamped my foot.

All that did was to raise more giggles from Em and Kelly. I glowered at them as they each took one of Subrish's arms and leaned into him. I knew they would wheedle the story out of him, and leave me wondering all night.

Grrr.

… … …

That next morning, Kords joined in with Swayga and I as we raised our eyebrows at Kissa flirting with Surtree, and at him flirting back!

Kords shot off to her room almost before we had finished whilst I waited to the very end and then went to gather together my things and change into my riding clothes. Kords banged out of the house before I was even halfway changed.

Surtree and I were not that far behind since we left soon after I represented myself.

I was mentally hugging myself with glee, for this morning Surtree was going to be surprised. This morning Parry had arranged for Surtree's first riding lesson to happen while I was out with some of my women friends. I had estimated that we should be about two bells, maximum three, and Parry had said that was a perfect timing. Surtree was going to have to learn about feeding the animals and caring for them, as well as simply riding them. Also caring for the saddles and so on. I had told Parry that, when the inevitable whine and moan came, he was simply to remind Surtree that he was being paid to do this but others had to pay for the privilege.

So it was with a certain lightness of step that we made our way towards the courtyard of the Claw. In the Claw's paddock, which, you will remember, bordered our house, I saw a young frayen foal frolicking with an adult beast. I assumed that this would be Tixi, its mother, but there was something wrong with that picture somehow. I worried all the way to the courtyard, wondering why that adult animal did not somehow look like Tixi. Could it even be another foal? But you must remember I was concentrating more on the surprise for Surtree, so all this was happening way back in the deepest recesses of my brain.

As we approached, my brow furrowed for it seemed to me there was a lot more chatter and bustle than normal. I could not ever remember such a commotion, and we were still a cast away. And it got louder as we approached. We turned into the courtyard and we stood stock still.

I deem if I had been any more surprised, then I would have been sucking up the mud from by my boots, so low had my jaw dropped.

Sookie was waiting for me, along with Pomma, Kelly, Molly, Kords and Em. They had even saddled Trumpa for me.

All were dressed and ready to ride.

As were each and every one of the eight women who had arrived yesterday.

The Countess was there and her maid, Tandra, along with the two female guards, Gowdet and Tanita. Then there was Senidet and her maid, which made me laugh for her name was also Molleena, so she soon got named Maid Molly.

Lanilla was there too, along with the two Einnlander maids, Geska and Odgarda, and finally there was the senior maid, who was also the Commander's wife, Mistress Jenet.

Fifteen women were going to go ariding!

Just then, very near me but out of my sight since they were round the edge of the wall from where Surtree and I were, I overheard two men talking.

“Maker!” whined the first voice. “Commander, are you SURE you want me, Stott, Briswin and Tedenis to go along with them? Their chatter will drive us mad! We'll be ill for days afterwards! Unfit for duty. Tortured, I tell you, tortured!”

“Now, now, Tord! You know the Countess needs a guard about her, and I need a reliable man in charge. That's you by the way, in case you didn't recognise the description – as many might not.

“And this way, my soldiers begin to add to their knowledge of the area hereabouts. The two Princes and the Counts have a day here in Town discussing with most of the Assembly members what has been done, and what is about to be done, so they will be essentially static. I will detail a hand or so of soldiers to wander around the town boundaries so that they can get a feel for the place too. I confess, though, that I had not expected quite so many females when I assigned you to this duty. But cheer up man, at least they can all speak the Valley tongue.”

“Exactly. It's that speaking that worries me,” retorted Tord, morosely. Which drew a small laugh from his Commander.

I judged it time to step forward. “Don't worry, er … Quadrant??? … Tord. We shall keep you entertained the entire journey.”

Both men had the grace to look embarrassed when they realised I had heard their exchange.

The Commander was first to fill the quick silence: “Mistress Julina, we meet again! And on a much finer day, at last. It is a pleasure to see you here.”

“Commander, 'tis my pleasure, surely. I confess that I am surprised, shocked even, to see so many females here. I had anticipated maybe a hand of us only.”

“The ladies of our caravan have become impatient with being cooped up for so long inside the carriages, and their mounts also needed exercise. Now, I understand from Soo ... Mistress Sukhana, that you are the one to determine the route today. Would you be so kind as to give me an idea, that I might be able to react quicker to any emergency?”

I gasped in further surprise. Me? Deciding for us all where we shall go? I supposed someone had to do it.

But actually, I already knew what I wanted to do, so I was able to reply without all that much hesitation.

“Commander, we shall be at all times within eyeshot, or maybe better said, telescope shot. We shall ascend Main Street, pass the mines and Miners' Villages then follow the Loop Road all the way round to the Artisans' Area, on to the Stone Sea Road junction and then all the way down to the two new bridges, rejoining the Forest Road at the Bunkhouse. From there we shall cross to the Fish Farm, to pick up some containers of fish for my restaurant and then come back here. I deem we shall be a little under three bells, for I have work to do and can afford very little more time myself.”

“A most excellent report, I am exceeding grateful.” He grinned engagingly. “You have the makings of a good soldier!”

“Alas, sir, you flatter me. I regret I am far too busy these days to take off any time for your training regimes …”

I broke off as a sudden thought hit me. I thought it through rapidly. Then another thought hit me.

“Commander, may I introduce Surtree? This lad is employed by me, well by my companies actually, and would require a certain amount of training. Today, I am about to surprise him for he is about to have his first frayen lesson, care and control and all that ...” We both grinned at the sudden delight writ large upon the lad's face. “... Mayhap he could also learn some of the basics of soldiering, somehow? I know not if this is a practical suggestion. And I myself would like to learn at least some of these unarmed combat moves that Captain Subrish and others have been telling me about. Is there some way we could acquire some rudimentary skill in this area whilst your party is in Town?”

The Commander's face took on a calculating look. “Mistress Julina, that is quite possibly a splendid suggestion. 'Twould keep some of my command busy and stop them being too bored. I shall come back to you about that. Thank you for the idea.”

Just then, the Countess' voice cut through the hub-hub: “Commander, shall you delay her much longer? We are all impatient to get going!”

“My apologies, Milady,” he called back in the most carrying of tones. “She shall come immediately.” He turned to Tord. “Mount up your boys, you're getting a day with the girls, you lucky man.”

Tord groaned.

… … ...

A hand or so of moments later, the entire column wound its way out of the Claw's courtyard. Four of us had pairs of empty fish transporting 'buckets' draped across our beasts, which provided the grounds for our first conversation.

Mind you, the shock on some of the citizens' faces as such a huge group of women rode through their midst afforded many more topics as our ride went on that day. It was a fertile field for us to chat and moan about.

I felt a little sorry for Em on that ride. She naturally wanted to be with the Countess, Mistress Jenet, Pomma and Sookie, but at the same time wanted to be with us younger ones, who piled question upon question on Senidet and on Lanilla.

Sookie too was torn, her stepdaughter was here after all, but she also wanted to ask questions of her friend, the Countess Merizel, and of Mistress Jenet too.

There were three distinct groups as we started out, well four actually, if you count the guards who were spread out all around us. There were the maids, who seemed to bunch together naturally, then there were we youngsters, and then the more mature women.

Senidet though waved us off, saying that she wanted to enjoy the ride that day, and would rather not talk about business. She had said sufficient, she thought, yesterday. All she would say was that she needed to discuss some things with Kelly's parents. She made us promise not to press her further until she herself said we could do so, which wouldn't be for some days.

Reluctantly, we allowed her her peace and pestered Lanilla instead. We extracted the information that she had her eye on a young man, who was originally from Yod and was one of the animal men in the Royal Party. We Blackstone girls were all impressed that she was being trained as Milady Merizel's assistant. But she remained tight-lipped about most of her duties, much to the obvious approval of the Countess.

However, in the end, the entire bunch of us came together as a group over a very silly subject.

Duplicated names.

I have mentioned we had with us two Molleenas; the one, my friend, from Blackstone and the other from Palarand, now the maid for Senidet. It was now that the latter was quickly referred to as 'Maid Molly'; and my and Kelly's and Kords' friend became known as 'Our Molly'.

Once the subject had been broached, I was reminded of the event that happened when the Princess, then Baroness, was leaving town last time, so I said loudly that all could hear: “Last year, in the chaos of the Grand Departure, someone yelled out 'Torin!' and two men next to each other swung round and answered at the same time. One was the town carpenter, Master Torin, and the other was one of the guards. It was so funny that the two of them were standing literally shoulder-to-shoulder and knew not of the connection between themselves. They laughed, acknowledged each other and then the guard went over to get his orders.”

“Aye,” said Gowdet, “but, to add to that, there be two Torins in the Palace Guard, one in the 2nd and one in the 4th Quadrant. The 2nd one came up here as one of the Prince's guards last year, so that would have been him.”

“And forget not the two Tilmars,” added Tanita, “2nd and 3rd Quadrants.”

“Oh, aye! Them too.”

“This very strange. Must be 'T',” said Odgarda. “On ship we come with Tors – four of them.” She turned to the soldier's leader. “How many Tords there are? And Teds?” she finished, switching her gaze on the blushing Tedenis.

We all laughed, the guards, the maids, we locals and the Countess as well.

And suddenly we were a much more together bunch, even Tord and his men seemed to relax.

We locals pointed out the changes to the others who had been here before and I was pleased that I was able to explain some of the decisions behind various locations and developments. Those that had not been here before were even more engaged with our tales. I was pleased to discover that I even knew more information about a couple of things than Em did, and she's on the Assembly!

“... because they that are working there get flooded by questions from those who pass by. They say that the curtaining allows them to work more productively, by some two or so bells, each day! Currently they are finding out how to make sets of rails cross over each other. It is not possible for a destination to be served by a dedicated set of tracks, so at some point ...”

Even as I was talking, I was aware of Senidet going into a heavily thinking state. Everyone else seemed to find my explanation fascinating, even the guards.

Then we got to the first place of real interest to me. The spot Paivi and Surtree had selected for our lunch cooking.

I was shocked, I can tell you. Yes, I was yet again shocked that morning.

There was an army of workers there it seemed.

No fewer than three of the levelling teams were there, making a start on the new road that would skirt the north and west sides of this part of the Artisans' Area, going on to join the Stone Sea road and thus cut off two marks or so of travel.

The Loop Road itself was partially blocked just there, leaving room for only a single wagon to pass while workers dug a trench across the rest of the already surfaced railroad and wagon road tracks. Upon enquiry, they explained they were burying a new storm drain just there, now that the new road would require run-offs for the rain. They would then close up the road surface above the trench, then block off the piece that was open at the moment and continue the trench from where the old one had stopped until it reached the storm drain to the east of Loop Road. That way, traffic could still flow even as they were working on the road.

There was also a band of constructors. They had erected a single wall, nine or ten strides long, anchored to the rock at one end and to the ancient and solitary tree at the other. Gaps had been left in it for windows and a central door. Also they had attached a wooden piece, along at the ceiling height, to the rock and another parallel to that which hung between the tree and a lonely looking solid wooden column, the furthest out from the rock of a line of three such columns. Even as we watched, a dranakh with a load lengthener apparatus began raising the first of the easily recognisable roof pieces to be attached at the rock end.

It was easy to see that they would erect three roof pieces before a further stout wooden column was met to support the weight. This, as I have previously said, was already in position, one of the line of them, and its foot was deep into the ground, packed around with compressed stones for stability. On its head, the column wore a metal cap from which hung four things that looked like special cups in which to hang wooden beams. Each of the four were as far apart from the next as from the previous one as they went round the column. A support beam had been laid in one cup so that it reached from there to the rock. Another cup allowed another support beam to sit in it, crossing its way over to the wall. I saw then that soon a further support beam would be placed in the third cup and stretch down to the next wooden column with its own metal crown. The system was so fascinatingly clever. The fourth cup was empty, but maybe they would be using it if the roof was to be expanded in that direction.

There were of course similar arrangements at the other ends of the support beams, but, for example, the cup hanging on the piece of wood on the rock had no companions.

They also had temporary columns (of course) to use as they moved the individual roof pieces into place, but these had no attached edge support, obviously; they were there simply to nudge the roof pieces into their proper places. With the layout as seen, it was plain to me that the roof would consist of nine roof pieces in all.

You may think I was shocked because of the speed of development of what they had done.

Well yes, that WAS surprising - but not exactly shocking.

The real shock was because there was a wagon standing there that had not one but two ovens awaiting unloading! Why, we could start operations as soon as they were placed on the ground!

We all reined in and watched as the first roof piece was raised, nudged and finally placed into position, and then secured along three sides - the rock edge, atop the wall and atop the support beam. It was tempting to watch them erect the second piece to butt up against that first piece, but Tord wisely warned us about time wasting, so we reluctantly moved on.

“... so the workers over here will have an easy access to some food for their mid-day meal. We expect to serve easily handled items like pies and so on, but mostly these new peet-zer things.”

“You have the peet-zers up here already?” asked the Countess.

“Oh yes, Milady!” said Sookie. “That young Maralin of Joth demonstrated them to me when I was down there for the weddings. Even the Captain, Captain Bleskin that is, was there. When I got back, I showed them to various people, Julina here included. She has had one of her cooks experiment with them and I confess that young Paivi's peet-zers are so much better than any I can make.”

“One of Julina's cooks? I thought she was a teacher?”

“Yes, Milady. And a lot more. It's like this ...”

… … …

We passed the junction that led up to the Stone Sea, and I had a little smile to myself. The work where we would be serving the peet-zers was bustling and in full flow. The area marked out for the Stoop was still exactly that. Marked out. No start at all had been made. I once more thought that maybe the way to attract these, or perhaps any, men was through their bellies.

We passed on, soon reaching the point where the railroad bed split off from Loop Road. Again Senidet nodded her head wisely as I explained about the wagon bridge being tested to be strong enough for wagons, but doubtful to be strong enough for railroad equipment, if what we had been told was true. We did not linger there though, for the wind was blowing from the direction of the Vale and Town, thus drifting over the waste handling areas that were straddling the river. Our noses preferred that we hastened on. But even as we did so, the Countess remarked: “But 'tis already a vast improvement on last year!”

Tord made us break into smaller groups to cross the bridge and encouraged us to make our beasts have different stride patterns, lest we set up harmful vibrations that might wobble or damage the bridge itself.

It was on the stretch from the bridge down to the Bunkhouse and the junction with the Forest Road (as more and more people were nowadays calling it) that I innocently asked Sookie a question, the answer to which visibly shocked the Countess and even Mistress Jenet.

“So Sookie, and just how is Tixi enjoying her exercise after being unable to be ridden for a while? I deem by her gait and her eyes that she is thoroughly enjoying it. But I do sense also some concern.”

“You are right, 'Lina. She is very happy, but I believe she is also a little worried about her foal.”

“She foaled, Sookie?” asked the Countess.

“Aye, Milady, that she did. A young buck. Very recently.”

“Have you selected a name?” asked the Commander's wife.

“Not yet, Jenet. I find I must ponder a while.”

Tord entered the conversation at that point. “A buck foal you say? And recent? Normally, mother frayen stick close to their buck foals, some for many weeks.”

“That reminds me, Sookie,” I said. “I thought I saw a foal in your paddock being closely accompanied by another adult. I thought 'twas Tixi at first, because it seemed to be an anxious parent, but somehow something told me 'twas another beast. Who was that then? Another foal and its mother, perchance?”

“Ah! Now here's an interesting tale!

“Parry tells me that one of the bucks that arrived with the Royal Party was ushered into the stables. He looked around and sniffed, ears alert and seemed to relax slightly. Then he went straight to Tixi and then, after they whiffled to each other for a bit, searched around for the foal. Since then, that buck has been as close as is possible to the foal. We deem that 'tis the father frayen, come back once more to Blackstone. He seemed to remember the stables there and also there was some bond with Tixi.”

“Which is it, then?”

Sookie smiled in a strange way before answering: “Snep!”

… … ...

Tord and his guards did not like the Fish Farm. All those reeds could hide any number of attackers he stated. But we females enjoyed it. The setting, the tranquillity and the coolness, for the sun was by now working up a bit of a punch.

Pomma told the others something which I deem made them all a little wistful, it certainly made me so: “'Tis wonderful to come here sometimes and just sit, dangling bare feet in the water, cooling down and enjoying the peace and quiet.” She blushed slightly. “My man and I come here regularly, just to be alone together for a while.”

Having availed ourselves of the facilities in the Bunkhouse – where Goodman Junker and Mistress Palma were surprised by the number of women requiring the toilet – we had passed on to the fish farm. Junker was busy in the Bunkhouse so he simply told me from which underwater cage to take my supplies. In those days suppliers and customers could still trust each other to the extent that customers were allowed to take what was wanted and to pay for it promptly and accurately. No need for checks.

We filled the eight fish buckets, not too many fish to a bucket lest they flop out on the journey. From there, we aimed straight across the land for the bridge into Town, skirting of course the planted patches. The four pairs of fish buckets now dangled tautly down the flanks of those of us bearing them, Kelly, Kords, Em and myself.

I deem our beasts enjoyed having a softer surface beneath their feet. We upped the speed a little, but carefully for we had some inexperienced riders amongst us. All too soon, we were back in the Claw's courtyard, all of us thoroughly exhilarated. Many a good friendship was forged that morn.

All thanked me for a most interesting and educational route to have taken. I was surprised by that somehow; all I had done was to follow my desires and drag the others along, but they seemed to think I had planned it somehow for all the things that could be pointed out as we went.

It had been a fine morning with only one dark cloud that had threatened to bring dismay. That was when we from the town wanted to know why Her Highness was not present. This question produced immediate frowns from all of those belonging to the Royal Party – and I really mean from all - the maids included and the guards.

The maids, they all looked to Mistress Jenet to answer for them, whereas the guards all looked to Tord to deal with it.

Both of these two, however, looked to the Countess, who thought long and hard before answering: “We had made it to close by Teldor when Her Highness was called away. Some knew in advance that this was to happen, Prince Keren of course, but many of us were taken by surprise. As was explained afterwards, the mission Her Highness is on will take a certain while, and must start very soon, lest she has no time to return before the rains. So she will either be back before then, or will have to wait until later in the year before she can return. Naturally, all hope it shall be the earlier version. Thus was it so important that she had to leave almost before she and her husband had had a vayterkan, as they call it.

“She is being looked after by a highly competent team where she is, which is why her retainers were not required and therefore remained with us. They would have had difficulties with some of the training required for the ultimate destination anyway, so were not given any. The Prince is of course sad and upset, but he knows that sometimes Royal demands outweigh personal wishes. He is certainly not as carefree as he was.”

She raised a grin then, which was at first a little surprising: “Nor was Snep too happy either, he has been morose as well, but maybe his fatherhood will give him a …” she giggled slightly “... 'buck' up.”

I think all of us realised that this subject was not to be dwelt upon, and so we were grateful to her Ladyship for making the little joke at the end. I deem had she not, then we would have been cast into sadness ourselves.

It didn't stop all sorts of questions ringing in my head, of course.

(Older Julina says: I never thereafter in all my life took place in a ride with quite so many females. I doubt that even now this 'record' has been surpassed anywhere in the Great Valley at least!)

… … …

I did not realise it at the time, but that day set the usual pattern for my next few days and weeks. I would ride most mornings, spend the rest of the mornings checking up on the various building projects, or hiring more drivers, buying more animals, or whatever the Wagons or the Accommodations required of me, I might teach an occasional lesson, but would work most afternoons and evenings in the Salon.

And yet each day managed to contrive to be different.

As a result of that, please allow me to just mention a few events, those which require of me to give little more background information. Events that happened as the days rolled by:

--- Later that same evening:

We named the hut in a way after young Surtree. And also in the way it was set up. We decided to call it 'The Tree Refreshments'; forever after 'twas known simply as the 'Tree'.

Whilst on the subject, we opened there for business just three days after 'The Ride'. Paivi did a roaring trade with her peet-zers. She and one of the other girls would take a bac over to the 'Tree' every day to arrive at half a bell before noon. Mutab liked the regularity of doing this, and the workers over in the Artisans' Area made it fun by lining up and clapping the little cart as it arrived. After a little while of experimentation, they had even arranged that one of them, we never really knew who it was, would light the ovens such that they were hot by the time the little party arrived.

It took the two girls and Mutab, for he soon learnt to join in, very little time to set up the place. The trio would arrive, then immediately set out a trestle which they then loaded with all their prepared ingredients, after which Mutab would set out a few tables and benches for the customers to sit on, in the shade of the awning he had unfurled, which was kept rolled up against the edge of the more solid roof when no longer required. Most customers would sit at these tables, some though would bring their own slates to use as plates and would wander away with their food as soon as they got it, unless 'twas raining, of course.

Upon rereading this, I have noticed that I might have given a slightly imperfect impression of how it went. Paivi was by far the most frequent to do the trek over there, however she could not neglect her ongoing education over here, so sometimes Kelly, Venket, Frowka or even Kords would take her place for the lunchtime duties over at the 'Tree'. I myself did so on more than one occasion. Paivi though did well over a half of the lunchtimes over there in the first few weeks and indeed months.

--- Whilst on the subject of three days later:

We had the Royal Party in the Salon that night as guests.

Paivi was most cross with us for not letting anyone know in advance. She had just had her first lunchtime over the other side and would have wanted a chance to tidy herself up anyway for our customers that night. Freshness of experiences meant that she was later than anticipated to return. She had sensibly brought a spare dress to the Salon that morning but she still moaned that she would have wanted to do more than just change her dress. She said she would have made a special effort had she known the make-up of our guest list.

Which was exactly another reason why I made sure the others weren't told.

My major reason had been that the team wouldn't succumb to nerves, that they would continue with their normal high standards which by then had become routine. As it was, it got a little wobbly when Venket and Kords, our designated front of house personnel that evening, rushed back in to the kitchens to tell everyone who was in the dining room. I had to lend my weight to Kelly's telling them that it should matter not one bit, that they should just continue as they always did. I like to think we managed to get through their natural nervousness and settled them down. Certainly, the usual hecticity was sufficient for them to have to concentrate on their tasks. The whole evening, I had to refuse to allow just two plates of the food to be served.

At the end, a breathless Venket rushed in and told me that I was wanted in the Dining Room. I did a quick hand-brush of my hair, removed my apron even as Kelly was doing the same, at my gestured insistence.

We entered the room, and curtsied even as we were astonished that everyone there rose to their feet and applauded us.

The Prince himself addressed me: “Mistress Julina, I can safely say that that was the best meal I have eaten for many a long day. Your applause is well deserved, I, nay, WE ALL, deem.”

I blushed by way of reply, and felt for a heartbeat tongue-tied, but then my words came back to me: “Your Highness, I am just one of a team here, and in fact, am no longer in day to day charge as my other businesses take a lot of my time. Mistress Kellonika here is now the one who directs this establishment.”

“Your Highness,” said Kelly at this point, “the original idea came from our Bailiss, Mistress Michet there, whose house this is. She got the idea after eating with Julina and her family a few times. Julina has been responsible entirely for setting this up as a business and for employing those who work here. Indeed nearly all the recipes we use are hers. I merely feed off HER ideas.”

“But without her and the rest of the team, I would be unable to do this,” I hastily added. Then I corrected myself: “WE would not be able to do any of this. We are such a team that we all share in everything, for we all take turns in front and out the back. We share everything, from any small coin that our diners are kind enough to leave, that by the way goes to the kitchen staff as well as those who are designated to be on duty here in the dining room, to any leftovers from the kitchens.” I laughed allowing a little bitter note into it. “We also share the washing up afterwards! So really, the entire team should be the ones to be congratulated.”

“Then Mistress Julina, would you be so kind as to fetch them all in here?”

They were all equally embarrassed to be applauded when they came in. I had a pang of sorrow for Gyth who wasn't here, but all the others were, even little Kissa.

I saw the Prince bend and whisper something to Count Terinar who in turn whispered something to his wife. The Countess gave an almost imperceptible nod and then beckoned Tandra to her. She whispered something to her maid who herself nodded before stepping back.

And so it was that our commendation from the Royal Household came about. It is a signed proclamation that hangs to this day in pride of place on the wall. This certificate came about because of that evening. As well as something else I shall tell you about later.

In all, we fed the Prince four times whilst he was here, the Count and Countess on seven occasions. All the others returned at least once.

And they were always generous with their coin of appreciation. I discovered later that was what the whispered message to Tandra had been.

--- That evening was the sixth of 'The Visit'. Before we get too far ahead, I must report on an event that happened on their fourth evening here.

The playact organised by Berdon and Bettayla, and much of which was written by Our Molly.

I was not there of course, for that was a busy Salon night. However, I have pieced together the following report, again with the generous help of the Countess, of Mistress Jenet and of others who attended, and of some who even performed.

For a start, it nearly didn't. Start that is.

The clever design of the moveable walls, and the special seating for the watchers drew many admiring remarks from the Visitors.

Who of course had to have demonstrations of how they worked and so on.

Which eventually brought Berdon almost to explode.

“Your Highnesses, My Lords, Milady, Ladies and Gentlemen, may I most respectfully point out that you have all day to examine these wonders, but these players and myself have only tonight to entertain you. I beg of you, most humbly, to please take your allocated seats as soon as you may, that we can finally start!”

This is, of course, not the very best way to set the tone of the evening, so Berdon made a snap judgement to bring forward the scene of the teachers with the naughty pupils to the fore.

It was an inspired move, for he could then adopt the same tone that he had just used as if 'twere part of the character he was portraying.

There were several 'Ah's of apparent understanding as the whole thing got under way.

The scenes flowed from one into another and the watchers were one moment laughing uproariously, the next plunged into despair, the next suffering the pangs of love and so on.

Behind the scenes, Our Molly was hastily writing linking material since the original, and practiced, sequence had been put out of order. However, none in the audience were aware of any of this, they simply enjoyed the spectacle.

I am told that there were lines or scenes which made gentle fun of all the notables, including a little, necessarily gentle one, that poked a little fun at the extra Prince – someone they only knew was in the Party when they actually arrived. Our Molly, Berdon and Bettayla did a fantastic job. Em told me that I would have enjoyed the little bit which made fun of me! She giggled at her own depiction.

The final scene was by all accounts hilarious and the entire audience were rocking with laughter as they closed the show – even Prince Keren was moved to laugh loud and long despite his natural underlying grief. The applause was heartfelt and given from the standing position once the final words had been uttered. Countess Merizel told me later that this was wherefrom the Prince had had the idea to applaud our team in the Salon when they came to dine those two nights afterwards.

… … …

There are many, many more incidents to relate but for now my hand grows weary. They shall have to come in a future tale or two.

What discoveries and changes did Senidet bring and implement?
How were the buildings coming along?
Why did we have a double pyre?
What big surprise did I get one week later?
What other big surprise did I get just over a week later?
What big surprises did I get two weeks later?
Why did a lonely wagon arrive, escorted by four Palace guards?
What were the 'Hunter Games'?

All this and more shall be revealed, and soon.


up
192 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good fun

I liked this chapter. Plenty of fun and a number of surprises, while continuing the development of Blackstone.

Good to also see something to cheer Snep up. He's probably taking Garia's absence harder that Keren is, considering Keren knew beforehand what was to happen.

Tantalizing questions at the end there. I almost expected the last line to be:

"Tune in again next week, same time, same channel, to hear the answers to these questions and more!"

Excellent, Julia.

Penny

Karen

Is probably the only one on Anmar who can't wait for winter

Another note, or several

I do wonder how hard it will be for them to reserve all the lead from the old aquaduct for batteries and such, It would be a big addition to the lead supply that other crafts would jump on.

The lone wagon likely brings machines of some type, and/or 2 "mad inventors", though then it may be escorted by guards in Blackstone colors,
Surprises, lightning rods, some electrical demonstration equipment (including a fridge), sewing and knitting machines (Senidet), introduction to blast mining, being invited to visit the capital.

Hunter games, possibly something the snipers came up with, or something Einnlander in origin.

Actually if the lone wagon carried powder and fuses for blast mining there would be good reason for palace guard escort.

Double Pyre makes me think there was a mining accident, I hope that's the case.

The purpose of Sigsten's presence being kept so hush hush makes me think that they are DEFINITELY introducing electricity to Blackstone, he was the one assigned to aid the "mad inventors" (I love calling them that) and discovered the flintlock and the revolver in the study.

Senidet being the daughter of a smith, would probably want to demonstrate ark welding very soon, but being the Princess's apprentice, would probably try the basic demo first, so people know what it is, power generation, and then explain Alternating Current enough to help with planing, then welding and refrigerators, maybe ark welding and refrigerators before alternating and direct current to grab attention and bring emphasis on the importance of electricity.

It occurs to me that introducing electricity to Blackstone NOW is actually an ideal time, just before the old aqueduct is removed and replaced, meaning that they could include a hydro-electric power plant in the design, most likely with 1 turbine to start with, as they might not have figured out how to put multiple generators in a circuit, much less an AC circuit, I doubt not that they have figured out voltage rectification, at least via AC/DC sets, which while not true rectifiers, will suffice for now as they don't have many (or any save for relays and slave clocks) low power electrical appliances yet.

to add to that, Milsy's electric clock and slave clocks, and the 24hr clock would be good to introduce to Blackstone, Electric clock because of immediate utility, 24hr clock because with the railroad it makes sense Blackstone would be one of the first places its introduced, relays because while a Telegraph would be harder to set up then semaphores initially, the foggy weather patterns and large amount of business is enough to justify them for emergency communication and business use, as well as for eventual railway (emergency>rail>business) general communication would stick to semaphore and messenger.

Notable absence

Its interesting to note there does not seem to be a general store present here in Blackstone. There are only a series of specialty suppliers: go to the lake for fish, blacksmith for blacksmithy stuff, shoemaker for shoes, saddler for saddles, etc. There was a hint of a grocery store in Tranidor, near Meglina's first establishment but that is more like a corner stand type and not a full fledged general store.

A general store makes sense for a small community as there are miscellaneous exotic materials and manufactured gods that importers like Tanon would bring in in relatively small quantities that a specialty shop would not find sufficient market to keep itself in business but a general store can. I am guessing when mass production finally takes hold, and transportation can support the flow of goods then general store can provide sufficient variety to justify its presence.

My take

On it is that before Garia's visit, they were self sufficient enough not to need a general store, and they didn't get enough commerce for such a business to be profitable, they were a simple farming community, no one had the coin or need for exotic goods, and their essentials were covered, tools, clothes, food/water, fuel, and wood for shelter, they probably had a local farmer's market, but during the Trogan days, I suspect the town ran primarily on barter and favor economy, which for a small population, can work surprisingly well. In such a small, backwater community, its all need not, waste not, want not. Exotic goods, variety, imports, goods sourced from out of town, are all staples of wealth, and it used to be that things that they cant make but need, like paint, parchment/paper, and other supplies were only needed occasionally not enough to justify a steady supply, while that is all changing, there are 2 important factors, most of the incoming goods are construction or infrastructure related, and therefore are ordered separately, and that most of the long term residents are still in the old mindset where they had to be very frugal, the new permanent residents (primarily miners) are likely also used to living on little, with substandard accommodations, remember, unless attention is taken for the express purpose of ensuring good living conditions for miners traditionally speaking (as well as other workers), they are often treated like the dirt they need to clear to get to the spoil, those that hold the pick have seldom seen the riches that lure them to that life.

In a year or so such an enterprise may make sense, but beyond specialty construction and furniture supplies, like float glass and full size glass mirrors, there is little they need that they cant easily procure themselves. Paper, paint, ink, typewriters (when they go into full production), exotic foods and spices (which currently have a low enough demand in Blackstone to still justify special order), electrical items will remain primarily a curiosity for a while so basic supplies and a battery charging and exchange (as well as sale of course) may make sense, or maybe just battery sale an exchange as it's clear that a shocking addition to the aqueduct revamp plans is about to be had, and it would make sense to charge them there, unfortunately right now they have no way of knowing how charged a battery is, though they may be able to see when the anode and cathode have deteriorated such to guess relatively and see when its time to purify the acid, melt down and separate the electrodes to make a new battery.

Of course until the guilds and questors think to mill bauxite, dump it in sulfuric acid, separate the obvious iron red slurry, electroplate whats left and heat it in a kiln, most of its practical use will be in the motors and arc welders, refrigerators are expensive constructions, and useless without a constant source of electricity, telegraph requires extensive lengths of wire, it will take a while for the infrastructure needed for it to be more than a curiosity useful in factories, to be set up. they could sell some demo electronics for teaching purposes.

There simply isn't enough demand for the unusual right now.

Yes and No

Yes, for really exotic rare manufactured items, it is not going to be much demand; yet. But for certain food stuffs, like certain grains for brewing or baking that can be transported from elsewhere, that would be something they can stock. Clothing is not there yet as mass manufacturing of clothing is not there yet. But, for items that are yet to be produced by guild member, say because there is no guild member of that specialty in town, then the general store should be able to purchase it from elsewhere and stock it.

Still

Right now the demand for exotic foodstuffs in Blackstone will be the Claw, Megglina Accomedations and eventually the Consortium, that will change as things settle down and food culture grows but for now that stuff can be special ordered. As for specialty guild products that no one can make in town, that would qualify as consumer products only paper, ink, paint, and related items come to mind, possibly wire for non-electrical purposes, Maybe as a trade with the northern regions picks up AND the people of Blackstone realize they can indulge a little such a business would make sense, even so, chances are, it would end up looking like a hardware store that also sells paper.

I did some rereading

Remember the Market Place being built? I think that will serve the purposes of a general store, without the need for a consistent stock.

True, it can help

A general store also acts as an agent to order stuff as needed actually (like a verrrrrrry slow Amazon.com.) If the proprietor does not have it in stock, he is supposed to have the contacts to get what the customer wants as the customer cannot just Google up a source at that time of course. The market place can act as a fragmented general store. Once printing takes off, then the Sears catalog is not far behind so the general store can really take off.

I am a fan of old time radio and listen to the writers interpretation of how a general store operated back in the old west in 'Gunsmoke.' I suspect the writers did have a clue.

That stuff

Can often be handled by warehouse/depot agents of Tanon's company for example, its part of their job to know that kind of stuff after all. Might not be sufficient in the future, but for a while it should do fine

I did the math

and from her departure from anmar to when she should return (assuming 5 anmar days each way) Garia's time away should be 8 months and 9 days roughly I'd put a date on it but SEE doesn't mark the day often enough.

I did the math, too

Despite appearances, there exists a timeline which tells interested parties (me, Julia and Di) exactly what (Anmar) day everything occurred on. I'm providing the following very rough calculation for reference purposes. This does not take into account the time of day anything happened, leap years or the fact that the difference in the daily periods of the two planets isn't an exact number.

Garia discovered, by using her watch, that an Anmar day is about 25 hours and 11 minutes long. If one counts the days she is on Anmar, it works out at 323 Anmar days which is ~339 Earth days. Now we know that she departed Earth and arrived back exactly one year later which means that the remaining time must represent (travel time + cloning time) both ways: ~26 Earth days.

Applying that formula to her return to Anmar we get: 22nd March (Day 82) to 2nd November (Day 307) = 225 days on Earth plus 2 * (travel + cloning) = 251 Earth days away from Anmar. Converting to minutes and back to Anmar days gives 239 Anmar days, which means she arrives back 43 days before the end of the year 1175, on the 28th Bretherin 1175.

As I said, this is back of the envelope stuff and I wouldn't rely on it to make sure your rocket gets where you want it to go :)

Penny

Thanks

I didn't go that deep, as to calculate the travel time, my assumptions were based on Nurse saying the distance takes him 5 days to travel, I didn't calculate for cloning time and such for the transfer, so cloning takes 21 days, the easiest part of the calculation for me was Anmar Months, I would have liked more frequent mentions of the dates in the stories. as for timing variance when the Anmar tales get to that point, mainly wanted to do it for fun and rough development timing, I reckon at that point Milsy might have worked out and started using a primitive galvanometer that relies on Anmar's magnetic poles and thus must be calibrated everywhere, I don't know if she would have thought of a spinning coil one with permanent magnets to each side, that development took years to work out on earth. also don't know if she would have thought of making a version of oscilloscope that uses paper in place of cathode ray tube, with AC they need to work out an Oscilloscope of some kind. maybe not to the point where they can play pong with it, but enough to understand whats going on... though with questor help they might manage a cathode ray tube, not sure.

Using dates

The big problem with providing dates is that there are so many of them. The month names are all new and would have to be remembered. The months don't stop at the end of the year, either: they follow Kalikan and only change when the moon is full, so every month is 31 days.

If I had enumerated all the months somewhere the reader would only keep backtracking and trying to work out what was going on. It wasn't that significant to the story so I mostly left them out. The only time they have been used were in casual conversation and in the headings of letters and decrees; just added authentic atmosphere.

Behind the scenes I had to keep track of everything since certain dates were significant. I knew in advance that there would be a deadline for Garia's time on Anmar and that the story would have to be fitted around that. The dates are tight, as it happens, but it all seems to work.

Oh, and the 26 days is for two travel trips and two clonings. I would have liked to allow longer but the timing was too tight.

Penny

I get that

Fair enough, I understand why the dates are not often shown, for readers its only important to the theory crafters like myself, and I don't even go for specific dates, just general for timescale purposes, other than Garia's return, right now my main timeline plotting purposes are Jaxen's Rubber Expedition, guesstimate of R&D time of ongoing projects, how long it will take them to discover Aluminum seeing as Garia gave them all a BIG hint in her electroplating demonstration, even without knowing the ore, or the specifics, the questors, mining, and smithing guilds would know already to try it with ores they have disregarded in the past, they know it has to be in acid, and it wouldn't take much to guess that it should be crushed first, considering how quickly they presumably went from the ingredients list of charcoal, sulfur, and saltpeter to sufficiently high quality gunpowder production, its a question of geography more than anything else, though I want to suspect Bauxite is in Ptuvilend (or however you spell it), as something useful is gonna be there and it will be many many years before they have to look at mono-crystal silicon as a useful substance, let alone have the facilities to consider using it. even with cast iron piping, aluminum could be a valuable material, its rust resistance would divert more iron to steel production, and copper for wireworks, thus accelerating much, actually if they start extracting all metal from tailings via electroplating, it might not be long before they discover other useful substances, as well as finding themselves with a better output for all the metal ores...

As you can tell I digress a lot... Speaking of the moons of Anmar, their eventual space program has an interesting early challenge, not only with a moon orbiting in the retrograde direction (compared to anything they send up) but 4 gravitational bodies to calculate for before reaching interplanetary space, more interesting if any one of them are tidally locked to Anmar as Luna is to Earth, cause that generally means an uneven distribution of mass, with greater mass facing the planet, which is important because it means it'll be extremely difficult to achieve a stable orbit around that moon, that doesn't involve crashing on the far side. while that many gravitational bodies does give better launch window potential and gravity assists, it also dramatically reduces the margin of error for any mission, and may eliminate the ability for free return trajectories when visiting a moon, and the retrograde moon means a great deal of delta v early on, just to avoid getting splatted. same with returns, so that may mean re-entry being significantly faster than it was for Apollo.... after all, they have to transverse that thing's diameter in less than a third of an Anmar day (you're craft would be traveling prograde on first approach, reducing time till impact), landing on it would probably involve passing it, and using one of the other moons as a slingshot, just so you are going the right direction fast enough... Future Anmarians would become masters of advanced orbital mechanics VERY quickly.

Actually, I too was grabbed by this topic ...

... and I quickly did some calculating.
There are three phases to G's life before finally settling in Palarand.
G's childhood on Earth (which can be basically ignored here).
G's early stay in Palarand.
G's second Earth phase.
...
So the question is - when does G return to Anmar?
...
Unknown is therefore the date of return.

Known is the length of time G is in an Earthly coma - because ...
--- Known is the Earth date of G's start and end of coma (and also G's final end of Earth.)
Known is also the length of time G was on Anmar for her first phase of living there.

We know it was an exact year that G was in a coma on Earth - this means that that year must cover:
a) the original transfer
b) the life on Anmar
c) the return transfer

OK - we must assume that transfers take the same amount of time - therefore the transfer time must be half the difference given by the coma time and the life on Anmar time. (If we start allowing for different factors making for different transfer times, then the whole question becomes impossible)

(I therefore calculate that transfer rate as just about 12 days)

So the return date to Anmar must be the date of disappearance from Earth for the second time, plus the transfer time.
Which is the same as saying the end of coma date, plus the length of living in the second Earthly phase plus transfer time.

This puts it, for me, on Anmarian dates, around the middle of Bretherin, 56 or so days before the year end.

But I confess I did this mathematical brain-twister at around 4 in the morning.

Fascinating thoughts from all

Thanks

J

It must be something

About unasked/implied math problems in stories that make them irresistible.... That could be the basis for a meta joke for a Blakestone math class...