What Milsy Did -10-

Printer-friendly version

Milsy's life takes another turn when she is offered guild membership by Parrel. With an enhanced escort Milsy, Tarvan and Parrel travel to the Hall of the Guilds to meet some senior Guildmasters who agree, but then must come a difficult confrontation at the Clockmakers Guildhall.

What Milsy Did

by Penny Lane

10 - Journeywoman


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2016 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



An excited Tarvan arrived even before Milsy had finished breakfast. Tord had shown him in while shaking his head in bemusement.

"It still works! Milsy, it is still swinging!"

His eyes were bright and he had a kind of eager look that made Milsy wonder if she was doing the right thing. The courtesies still had to be observed, however.

"Good morning, Master Tarvan. I trust you slept well. Can we offer you some pel?"

He was brought to a sudden halt, embarrassed. He made a bow.

"Your apologies, Mistress Milsy. I am interrupting your meal. Good morning and, aye, I would take some pel."

"Sit down, Tarvan, please. Bursila, if you would attend to the pel. Do you tell me that you have already been to the laboratory?"

"I have not, Milsy. Today I have broken my fast in the Family Dining Room and it occurred to me that I could find out if the pendulum still moved without entering the laboratory. As you may have noticed, the Family Dining Room and the quarters of the Royal Questor share a courtyard. It was merely necessary for me to walk across and look in at a window."

"You ate in the Family Dining Room? Does that mean you reside in the palace?"

"Aye, it does. I have a small chamber - not a servant's room, nor one that a guest would use but something more modest, I deem, like those assigned to other palace guildsmen. Since I have been spending so much of my time here on the business of the Guildmistress the Queen has granted me residence. I have only been here a week, before that I lodged with an uncle who lives in the city. His mansion is convenient for the workshops of Master Parrel but not so convenient for the palace."

"You mention Master Parrel. Is he a good man, Tarvan? Can I rely on him?"

"I have had no cause to complain, Milsy. He is fair and open-minded and accepts the changes that the Guildmistress brings to Palarand. You are concerned how he would treat you? I believe he might use you to encourage change in some of the more conservative guilds, but he would never treat you merely as a tool. He would seek to help you make the most of your abilities as he has helped me make the most of mine.

"Milsy," Tarvan's expression was serious now as he leaned forward, "the Guildmistress comes from another world and we can not judge her as we may judge our own, but you are one of us, and you show us that there are women among us who are at least as good as any man, myself included. Master Parrel will seek to discover what women like you can offer Palarand."

"You ask of me a big responsibility, Tarvan."

"No, Milsy, I ask you to just be yourself." He smiled then. "The guilds will look after you and if they do not, perhaps I can."

She gave him a mock-skeptical look. "That is intended to reassure me?" She smiled back. "Very well, Tarvan. Let us finish our breakfast and then we shall go and view this wondrous pendulum." She scowled. "I regret I will not be able to do much in the laboratory today, I deem. I have no suitable attire to wear. Rosilda will provide something in time but even she may not sew so fast."

"I desire to wait until Master Parrel arrives, Milsy. I do not want that door unlocked except in his sight, to prove that no-one has tampered with the experiment. As for your attire," he shrugged, "depending on Master Parrel's opinion of what we have done you may not be spending much time in the laboratory today."

"Oh?"

Tarvan waved a hand. "I could not say, Milsy. I do not know what he may decide."

It was nearly a bell before a summons came for Milsy to go to the Queen's Sitting Room. Tarvan accompanied her. Both Robanar and Terys were present and with them was Parrel.

Robanar told them, "Parrel has explained to me that, should this experiment of yours work as intended then it would be a new invention of great significance to Palarand, and, indeed, the whole Valley. I am minded to join you this morning to inspect the results."

Milsy licked her lips. "As you command, Sire. There is not much to see, it should not take long."

Parrel asked Tarvan, "Has any entered the laboratory since you departed yesterday afternoon?"

"No, Master, I locked it and I still have the key with me." He patted his pouch. "I can tell you that the pendulum still swings, I observed it this morning through a courtyard window."

Robanar's eyebrows rose. "Indeed? Then, Parrel, I must consider your request carefully. Before that, let us visit the laboratory. In there we may discuss openly what must needs be done."

Parrel bowed. "As you desire, Sire."

"Milsy," Terys added, "do not forget that outside this room you are presently Lady Garia."

"Of course, Ma'am."

For this visit Milsy's escort was augmented by six of the palace guard in view of the enlarged party. Tarvan showed the locked door to King, Queen and Guildmaster and gave the key to Parrel to unlock. On the bench the pendulum still swung just as they had left it the previous day.

Robanar nodded. "Simple, yet impressive. If this were to be built into a clock it would not look like this, I imagine?"

"I doubt it, Sire," Tarvan replied. "Whatever is designed must needs be more robust. As I have yet only ever seen the inside of a single clock I have had no thoughts about further development."

Robanar turned to Milsy. "And you, my dear? What are your thoughts?"

"Sire, I'm amazed that it actually worked. I would like to experiment further but I doubt that the Clockmaker's Guild would give me leave."

The King's tight smile showed his agreement.

"Sire," Parrel said, "there may be a way, but it might be expensive. The Clockmakers, as you know, have been experimenting with a much smaller design which may be of service to us, if that is the way you would wish us to proceed. It is intended for the city mansions of nobles and stands but a stride high. If we could obtain one and bring it here, where these two can do their experiments without interference..."

Robanar nodded. "I understand what you are saying, Parrel. Aye, you may obtain one on my authority."

Parrel bowed. "You are gracious, Sire. And the other matter?"

"You may proceed with Milsy's consent. She has been of service to the Crown and, indeed, continues that service. What you offer is in some respect compensation for that service and we will support it if there is any need."

Milsy was getting confused. What were they talking about now?

"Milsy, dear." She turned to face Terys. "Parrel would like to admit you into his guild as he suggested last night. Have you had any thoughts on the matter?"

"Some, Ma'am. I don't know much about how the guilds work but I know I cannot stay as I am. To be of service to any I must needs learn many things and perhaps a guild is the right place to do it. Only..."

"Yes, dear?"

"I am not sure what I would be doing, Ma'am. I do not think I could be a smith, one of those who hammers knives, forks and swords. I know nothing of other trades. If I can do things like the experiments in this laboratory then I might like that but I am not sure what else I might be able to do."

"Parrel?"

"Mistress Milsy, if you were admitted to my guild then you would not be made to go through the customary training of apprentice and journeyman, since I deem your interests and abilities lie elsewhere. Guildmistress Garia has impressed upon us that the old ways will no longer be sufficient for the rapid changes which will sweep over our lands and people like a sudden storm. There is much you might contribute to any guild without requiring the muscle that many guildsmen need for their trades.

"I had in mind that you would continue to work in here with Tarvan, initially as his assistant, in his new department of Electric Engineering. Your status would be such that this would not prevent you from following any other interest that might occur in the future. You may not know it but from the end of the year all Palarand's guilds are to be merged into a new Institute and with any luck we shall no longer suffer the customary rivalry which prevents guildsmen of different crafts from working together. Within that Institute you should be able to move about as your abilities develop."

"Thank you for the offer, Master Parrel. What training would you give me?"

"First, we must make sure that you can read and write sufficiently well, as every guildsman must do. You will also need some tuition in the Garian Numbers, I deem, since this new craft of Tarvan's seems to involve a number of calculations in its methods. Indeed, if you desire to be interested in clocks then knowing your numbers becomes essential. Tarvan no doubt will teach you to use the tools of your new trade and, of course, as things change in the future doubtless you will learn of new tools and techniques as we all shall." He shrugged. "It is possible that in future it will be you who will be teaching us the new tools."

Terys added, "Yours is a special circumstance, my dear, and Parrel will be inventing or changing rules to accommodate you, just as the Guilds invented or changed rules to accommodate Garia. You may discover resistance to those changes but we will be here to assist should that happen."

"Thank you, Ma'am." Milsy took a deep breath and turned to Parrel. "Master Parrel, I would like to accept your offer. What must I do?"

Parrel's smile was twisted. "Mistress Milsy, your situation is complicated by the fact that you presently play a part. For us to proceed you must present yourself at the Hall of the Guilds, you should not appear in the guise of the Guildmistress."

"Master Parrel, I must correct you. You address me as Mistress but I am not a freewoman. Before I came to the palace I was but a kitchen servant in Dekarran castle."

"But I thought -"

Terys cut in. "A minor matter, Parrel. If Milsy is to become a guildswoman and work in the palace she will no longer be servant but retainer and it would be proper to make her a freewoman." She turned to Milsy with a twinkle in her eye. "Do you object, dear?"

Milsy was shocked. This was all happening too fast! She had dreamed of something like this happening but dream and reality were two different things. She also knew that what happened to her in future would introduce complications which would have to be carefully considered. Still, a freewoman...

She gulped. "Ma'am, I don't object. I just never expected such a thing! I didn't think that I was that good. All this has come as a big surprise, Ma'am."

"I expect so, dear. In your previous surroundings," the Dekarran kitchens, "you would not have known how palace or guild arranged their affairs. It would be only proper to make you freewoman but as with every rank will come responsibility. You have already shown that you have a quick mind, let us see what manner of mind you possess. Parrel, if you would explain."

"Aye, Ma'am. Mistress Milsy, when a young lad becomes an apprentice he is often from our yeoman stock and would not be accounted freeman. Once he has learned his trade he is raised to journeyman, in order to gain experience. A journeyman must needs speak as equals with a client or with other guildsmen, so at that time he is made freeman if he was not already. Your circumstances are different but the Queen is right, Mistress, it will be an appropriate rank for you at this time."

"Then I must thank you, Master Parrel. This is entirely unexpected."

Parrel again gave his twisted smile. "I regret, Mistress, that many more unexpected things may happen to you today. As I mentioned, you must needs present yourself at the Hall of the Guilds. For an ordinary applicant it would not be necessary but you would be only our second woman after Lady Garia, so it will be needful."

Milsy was by now concerned. "But how may I go?" She turned to Robanar. "Sire, I have never even left the palace! Should I take some armsmen, Sire? I do not know how this can be arranged. And what of Garia? It may be possible for her to make an unexpected visit somewhere as she did yesterday but many have seen her come to the laboratory this morning."

"A complicated problem indeed, my dear," Robanar said to her with a frown, which was quickly replaced by a smile. "You are presently two persons in the same body, much like Garia herself, I deem. Let me see. Parrel, you have seen all that you need to in here?"

"Aye, Sire, and most impressive it is."

"Then let us all return to our sitting room." He gave an aside to Milsy. "That will return the Baroness to her suite, will it not?" To Parrel again, he asked, "Have you a carriage, Parrel?"

"I did, Sire, though it only brought me here then went about other business."

"Then since Milsy must return to the palace after her visit we will give you one of ours today. You are taking Tarvan with you?"

"Aye, Sire."

"Then you will be four, since of course Garia's - my apologies - Milsy's maid must needs go with her. You must take an escort with you, I deem."

"Sire? Is this needful?"

"Aye, for three reasons. First, it will obscure exactly who is traveling with you in the carriage today. Some may think that Garia goes with you, thus strengthening the thought that she still resides in the palace. Second, Milsy was chosen for her resemblance to Garia and may thus by chance be mistaken for her. I would be remiss if I did not make provision for her safety. Lastly, it is possible that those who wish to obtain or harm Garia may try to do so through her retainers. Milsy and her maid presently wear the colors of Blackstone and they are the only retainers in the palace who do so, thus they must be considered at risk."

"As you say, Sire. That would not have occurred to me."

Robanar turned and stared at the entrance door before turning to Terys. "My dear, I think we will require Merek. A day or two ago Tord bespoke me saying that his men were too few and I agree. Those who escorted us here should suffice for today's travel but I think we must needs provide more men to his assignment else they fail through overwork."

Terys nodded. "Aye, I agree. I will send a footman to find him."

"Then let us depart this place. Master Tarvan? Is there ought you must needs do here?"

"No, Sire. If I am to be elsewhere today it can all be left as it is. I will be interested to see how long the pendulum lasts, Sire."

"As will I, though I understand that its movement depends on the supply of electricity, does it not?"

"As you say, Sire, which means however much is in the battery. I am minded to leave it until the battery runs out, though there is a chance it will choose to stop in the middle of the night."

"Then let us go. Parrel, are you expecting trouble today? I know that most acclaimed Garia at the lunch you gave us but not all accept what happened."

"Indeed, Sire, it seems that at least this Hebren does not. If you would allow me to consider our strategy as we walk."

Outside the laboratory, while Tarvan locked the door again, Robanar explained the day's outing to a horrified Tord.

"But, Sire! It is too soon!"

"I consider that it may work in our favor, Tord. We will not confirm or deny who travels today and the presence of an escort will add to the confusion. If any wish to think that Garia travels to the Hall of the Guilds today - a journey she is perfectly entitled to make, I deem - then I would not attempt to contradict them."

"As you say, Sire. I would repeat my request for further men, Sire. We are too few for this duty."

"Aye, and Merek will join us in our sitting room before these set out today. Beginning this day both the seeming Baroness and her servant Milsy will require the protection of the Palace Guard, whether they wear the colors of Blackstone or not. You will have your men, Tord."

Tord saluted. "Thank you, Sire."

The party reached the sitting room and Robanar, Terys, Milsy, Tarvan and Parrel took seats. Tord stood at ease near the door, awaiting the arrival of Merek. While they waited, Parrel smiled and spoke to Robanar.

"I have had an idea, Sire. You spoke of possible trouble at the Hall of the Guilds and I may have a way of dealing with it but it will require your permission."

"Explain."

"The Guildhall and workshops of the Clockmakers' Guild lies but two streets from the Hall of the Guilds, Sire. There is a complaint against my journeyman Tarvan, I thought to deal with that once we complete our business at the Hall." Parrel smiled and waved a hand. "I am not one of those Guildmasters who lets a disagreement fester for days or weeks, Sire, I would have it resolved as soon as I may."

"That sounds a reasonable attitude to take, Parrel, but why should you desire my permission?"

"I would like to take Guildmistress Garia's watch with us today, to show it at the Clockmakers' Guild. That may help some convince minds of the truth of our position."

"Ah, I understand. Aye, you may take it, Parrel. Keep it safe, there is no other in the world like it."

"I will let Tarvan keep it, Sire. He will be returning here with Mistress Milsy, he can replace it in her quarters, and he is most familiar with it."

"As you say."

Merek appeared at the door, entered and saluted. Robanar explained about the shortage of men.

"Tord has also mentioned the matter to me, Sire. I will see to it, but I will not be able to make the assignments for a day or two."

"We will manage until then, Merek. Now, Parrel, Tarvan and Milsy are about to go to the Hall of the Guilds -"

* * *

Milsy was now familiar with travel by carriage, following her journey from Dekarran, so she climbed in with no reservations. Parrel followed, then Tarvan and finally Bursila. At Merek's advice Milsy sat with her back to the frayen, which meant that anyone looking at the passengers would only get a brief glimpse of her face. Surrounded now by mounted guardsmen, half wearing palace sashes and the others with Blackstone colors, the carriage set off through the streets of the city.

The carriage turned into the front yard of the Hall of the Guilds and halted. Everyone climbed out in reverse order to be greeted by the current doorkeeper of the Hall.

"Master Parrel, welcome, and Master Tarvan too. You have a female servant? Ah, the Guildmistress! Welcome again to the Hall of the Guilds, Guildmistress." The man halted in confusion and peered closely at Milsy. "You are not the Guildmistress!" He turned to Parrel. "Master, what means this? There are no other women who are permitted to enter, save the Guildmistress and her maid."

Parrel cast a severe eye at the man. "If you think that the Guildmistress and her maid will be the only women to enter these doors in future, Tobro, you are mistaken. This young woman joins me as our guest and she may very well become a guildswoman in time."

The man bowed low. "Guildmaster, forgive me. I have served the guilds for many years and some habits are hard to change."

"I understand, Tobro. We have changed custom and we must also adapt to match our new circumstances. Today we will be in the West Meeting Room. If you would send somebody to find Hurdin, Laikin and Sabran, they are expecting to join us once we have arrived."

"As you command, Master."

Milsy made a shiver as she passed through the ornate doorway into a place in which only two women had ever previously trodden.

I know Master Parrel has invited me here but I still feel like an intruder. I suppose that one day this will all seem familiar but today it does not. I wonder what Master Parrel wants the other three for? Is this going to be some kind of judgement?

The corridors of the building looked similar to those of the palace and Milsy realized that the same people had probably crafted both. The walls were plainer, though, as if the guildsmen did not want to lavish too much attention on something only other guildsmen would ever see. Parrel obviously knew his way about the building and led them to a meeting room about the size of Milsy's bedroom and sitting room combined. There was a table and well-upholstered chairs and she was bade make herself comfortable. Bursila took station behind Milsy's chair as the others found seats.

The first to arrive was an older man with almost white hair, closely cropped in a fashion often chosen by craftsmen. Parrel stood so Milsy decided that she should too.

"Laikin, this is Mistress Milsy, who is the reason for this meeting. Milsy, if I may introduce Guildmaster Laikin of the Guild of Joiners and Cabinet Makers. Laikin, find yourself a seat."

She curtseyed but was not sure what to say so kept silent. Laikin gave her an appraising glance and nodded. Before anyone had a chance to sit down another guildsman arrived, this one younger looking.

"Ah, Sabran! Do come in. If I may present Mistress Milsy. Milsy, this is Guildmaster Sabran of the Leadworkers and Plumbers Guild. Sabran, we just await Hurdin before we may begin."

The stare she received from Sabran was keener but she felt no antagonism from him. All took their seats and waited for their last arrival. While they waited Parrel told the others what he had been doing out at the site of the experimental furnaces, of which Milsy understood not a single word.

The last to arrive appeared short but that was because he was also broad across the chest, with matching arms covered in thick hair. He took one look at Milsy and remarked to Parrel, "Another one! Maker, is the land full of them?"

"I could not say, Hurdin. She is just the first to have been discovered, I do not think your position is yet in any danger."

"Easy for you to say! Still," he gave Milsy a longer, more considered look, "I doubt she would be able to blow any of my bottles, she has not the lungs."

The Guildmaster walked to an empty seat as Milsy stood and curtseyed.

"Hurdin, this is Mistress Milsy of whom we spoke yesterday. Milsy, this is Guildmaster Hurdin of the Glassmakers Guild. He is presently Master of the Hall and thus leader for a time of the Guilds of Palarand." Parrel made a sweep with his hand to indicate the others. "We are gathered to consider how you might be made a guildswoman, Mistress. For any man this would be a simple procedure granted by any Guildmaster for those who wished to enter his craft, but we have yet no women other than Guildmistress Garia and she is special as you know. I thought it best to find others who might back my decision against those who would not agree to your petition."

Milsy's lips were dry again. "Thank you again, Master Parrel. I'm sorry to have made all this trouble."

Parrel smiled at her. "In your case I doubt that you will be much trouble to us, Mistress. What I saw in your laboratory will prove that." He turned to the others. "Guildmasters, today I have seen the impossible. I have seen a swinging pendulum which is not driven by a weight. It has been swinging these twelve bells or more since Mistress Milsy and Tarvan set it up yesterday. Let me be clear, it was her idea though Tarvan provided his experience in the construction of the experiment."

Hurdin raised an eyebrow. "How is this possible? Is this something to do with what young Tarvan is playing with?"

"Electricity? Aye. This means that in future there would be no need to stop any clock while the weight is being wound. Less need for adjustment of the time."

Sabran asked, "Parrel, is this just a chance discovery or something more?"

Tarvan answered, "If you please, Master Sabran, Milsy was permitted to see the Great Clock in the tower at the palace and took but a bell to understand its design. She immediately began thinking of ways to improve it."

"You jest, surely! The clockmakers would never permit such a thing."

"As you say, Master Sabran, and we were thrown out of the tower the moment that Milsy spoke of her ideas."

Laikin asked, "The Great Clock was not harmed? There is no chance that the timekeeping will be affected?"

"Master, we did not touch anything at all, merely observed the mechanism while the guildsmen from the Clockmakers went about their work." He grimaced. "I am reminded that we did touch something, Master. It seems that, though the guildsmen clean the clock they do not clean anything else. The walkway and safety rails were filthy."

Laikin snorted. "No carpenter would dare leave his place of work in such a state. The Clockmakers have become slack, I deem."

Hurdin looked at Milsy from beneath lowered brows. "Mistress, you claim to understand the workings of the Great Clock, and at such a short acquaintance? Clockmakers must spend years studying such a mechanism."

Milsy replied, "Master, I did not claim to be able to make a clock, merely that I can tell you how it works. I know it would take years of study to understand how such a clock may be made and more to learn how to make such a thing."

Hurdin pointed. "There is a blackboard behind you. Prove yourself, Mistress, if you would."

Apart from the meal slates Milsy had never seen a blackboard until she arrived at Garia's suite and had never handled chalk before. Her first attempts at drawing were shaky and before long her fingers ached with the effort of guiding the chalk where she wanted it to go. It was soon plain that she understood more about how the Great Clock functioned than any of those sitting around the table. Tarvan was able to help explain how a reduction gear worked and had a small idea about how the 'year wheel' adjusted the times of the bells from day to day, but the rest of the explanation was all Milsy's.

Hurdin addressed Parrel. "Now I understand! And this one was a kitchen servant in Dekarran? How many more must there be, hidden away from our sight?"

"Most will not even consider that their daughter is capable of thinking like this," Parrel replied. "Until Lady Garia came to us, neither would I. Milsy is but the first we have found, and that by chance. I desire to ensure that her education is the best that we can provide and that she will be able to use her intelligence and imagination as well as she is able."

The others nodded thoughtfully. Sabran asked Milsy, "Are you by chance related to the Guildmistress? I see a certain similarity in size and form. A cousin, perhaps?"

Milsy did not know how to answer, so looked at Parrel.

"If she were related to Lady Garia then she would also have come from Earth, Sabran. No, the resemblance is coincidental - and deliberate. I am not sure that I may say anything more."

A light dawned on their faces. "The Guildmistress is not in the palace, then?" asked Laikin. "This is some scheme of the King, I deem. That is the only reason a kitchen girl from Dekarran - excuse me, Mistress - would travel to the city and reside in the palace."

"Indeed," Parrel confirmed, "and I would ask you all to be careful what you say about any meetings that include Mistress Milsy. The more we may confuse any enemy, the better."

They all nodded agreement, then Hurdin asked, "So, Parrel, what is it you ask of us today?"

"Firstly, I am minded to jump Tarvan to the rank of Craftmaster, by your leave. He is presently the only member of the Electric Department of my guild and it is unseemly that he still be accounted journeyman. He has almost finished his due days as journeyman so would be made Guildsman soon in any event. To make him Guildmaster of his new department immediately would be too much, I deem."

Hurdin thought, then turned to the other two who nodded.

"Agreed. It is a new craft and it is proper that it should be led by its most experienced guildsman."

"Thank you, brothers. Then, to admit Mistress Milsy as a guildswoman into Tarvan's department with the rank of journeywoman. This will be more difficult for you, since I know she has little experience as yet but I believe she is so bright that she will soon overcome any deficiencies. My only desire is to protect her and to provide guidance. No doubt she will also benefit from Lady Garia's presence once she returns from Blackstone."

The three looked at one another then all three turned to Milsy.

Hurdin asked, "Do you read and write, girl?"

"A little, Master," she replied. "Tarvan has been teaching me since I arrived at the palace."

"What, barely two weeks?"

Tarvan interrupted. "Nine days, actually. She can read most of our letters and write them as well, Master."

"Extraordinary! Well, Parrel, no apprentice may be made journeyman unless he can read and write so I suggest she be tested first. Otherwise... If Lady Garia can do it, then so might others."

"My thoughts exactly," Parrel agreed.

"We have to start somewhere," Laikin said. "It is an unconventional beginning, perhaps, but this young woman is of such a kind. I will agree to this."

"Sabran? What say you?"

The plumber nodded. "There will be discontent over this but I deem we have no choice. Once the path has been trodden then we will have some idea what is right and what is not. Until then why not begin with the best? Aye, you have my agreement, Parrel."

"You have my deepest thanks, brothers." He smiled. "Doubtless in time you will be reminding me of this day and demanding repayment! So be it. I will instruct that a contract be drawn up and that badges be made for Milsy... and for her maid."

Hurdin nodded. "That will be proper in this case, I deem. We must consider if, in time, every guildswoman must needs be accompanied by her maid! Perhaps some other way may be found."

"Indeed! Another time, perhaps. While we are gathered, is there anything else of note to discuss?"

"Our consignment of samples has been dispatched to Blackstone in your absence, Parrel. That includes a steam engine, a typewriter, a telescope and a mirror of glass, some paper and a strange boiler thing."

"Oh, aye! That would be the coke oven."

Parrel spent a few moments explaining the use of the oven.

"So this is like a small version of what you are building out at the furnace site, then?"

"Aye, it is." Parrel scratched his head. "There have been some complications building the furnaces as well, but I'll leave that for another meeting, if I may."

"As you wish. What about this business with the Clockmakers?"

Parrel made a fierce grin. "We are going to visit them when we leave here, brothers. I shall take Milsy and Tarvan carries Guildmistress Garia's own portable clock with him."

Hurdin asked, "Do you desire support, Parrel?"

"Thank you for the offer, but the Metalworkers look after their own. If there is a problem then I shall return, have no doubt of that."

Laikin and Sabran departed the room but Hurdin remained as Hall servants brought in trays of food. Milsy had not realized that lunchtime had arrived. She did not stand on ceremony but insisted Bursila took a chair as all five enjoyed the provided meal. Both Hurdin and Parrel spent the time making smalltalk with Milsy and Bursila before it was time for them to leave the Hall.

Once in the carriage it was a short journey to the large mansion, with workshops behind, that was the domain of the Clockmakers' Guild. The situation was tense as they all alighted and the two women were noticed by the hall servants.

"Guildmaster Parrel, welcome. Do you intend bringing these two women into the Hall?"

"As they are my guests and we have just come from the Hall of the Guilds, then aye, I do. Inform Guildmaster Bayorn that we have arrived and that we must speak with him immediately."

The servant eyed the group, then looked at the twelve mounted escort in the courtyard before bowing.

"As you command, Guildmaster. If you would wait here."

It was a brief wait until Bayorn appeared. His appearance startled Milsy, since he was the first blond she had ever seen. His pale yellow hair and his brilliant blue eyes were unlike those of anyone who she had ever seen at the castle. Bayorn clasped arms with Parrel.

"Brother. Is this about that business at the palace?"

"It is. Do you want to discuss the matter in this yard or may we enter?"

"What, all of you?"

"The four of us. Our escort will, of course, remain outside."

Bayorn noticed the palace uniforms immediately and knew that Parrel had a powerful interest on his side. He nodded reluctantly.

"Aye, I will find us a room."

"One with a blackboard and chalk, if you would."

A room was found and the four joined Bayorn and two other clockmakers inside. Although there were seats and a table, as before, all remained standing.

Bayorn was blunt. "Well?"

"I had some kind of strange note," Parrel began, "alleging interference with the Great Clock. I am here to tell you that there was no such interference."

"But Hebren clearly said -" Bayorn stopped and considered. "I suppose I should hear your side of it, Parrel. Is this the girl? She looks too young to me."

Parrel gestured. "This is Tarvan, my assistant, who works in the palace with the Guildmistress," Milsy noticed a tightening of Bayorn's expression, "Mistress Milsy, in turn, assists Tarvan with his experiments. He, Milsy and her maid Bursila were invited by Hebren to inspect the Great Clock while he and another cleaned and oiled it. At no time did they touch any of the moving parts, Bayorn. The only thing they touched was the handrail of the walkway, which was filthy. Do your men always leave your places of work in such a condition?"

Bayorn was taken aback. "Why... no, they should not! I shall visit the Great Clock myself and inspect it. If there are any shortcomings, you can be sure I will have them seen to."

"You had better, Bayorn, since the King has been informed of the circumstance."

Bayorn paled but recovered. "But a complaint has been made, that the girl intended to somehow modify the clock. Indeed, she claimed to have understood how it worked in but a bell, which is plainly impossible."

Parrel gestured to the blackboard. "Mistress Milsy, if you would."

Having had a little practice at the Hall of the Guilds Milsy could now describe the functioning of the Great Clock in detail, with understandable drawings, to the stunned clockmakers. That she could correctly describe how the whole thing worked could not be denied.

"This is impossible! How did you do this, girl?"

Parrel said, "She had a bell to look at it and she is not stupid, Bayorn. I deem she is of a kind like the Guildmistress, though as yet untested. Is her explanation correct?"

"It is, Parrel, though I am reluctant to admit it. Are you certain she has not been in the tower before?"

"She is only recently arrived from Dekarran, she has not had the opportunity. Oh, and Tarvan decided that they did not need a clock to test her idea. They have constructed a pendulum in the laboratory which has swung for... fifteen or so bells now without the aid of a weight. His Majesty requests that you provide him with one of the new, smaller clocks that they may use it for experiments."

"His Majesty? Well... of course, Parrel. If His Majesty requests then I must provide." Bayorn seemed at a loss for words. "I do not like the idea that others not of the Clockmakers' Guild would tamper with any clock we provide. Why, she is not even a guild member!" He suddenly realized what was about to happen. "Parrel! You do not intend to admit her to your guild, surely?"

Parrel grinned. "In seven days or less she will be a guildswoman, Bayorn. You had better become used to the idea of women as guild members."

"Hurdin agrees to this?"

"Aye, we have just come from the Hall of the Guilds. All has been properly arranged."

"I do not like this, Parrel. The Guildmistress is one thing, she comes from somewhere else entirely, but a mere girl -"

"That reminds me," Parrel said. "Tarvan, the watch, if you please."

Tarvan took a soft leather bundle from his pouch and unwrapped it on to tabletop. The clockmakers gathered round, astonished.

"Lady Garia brought this with her when she arrived," Parrel explained to them. "It is normally worn on the wrist. She tells us that almost everybody on her world wears such a thing, and that they are made in great quantities by machines, with the parts assembled by women. The cost of this is, in her terms, less than that of a day's labor."

"It moves!" one of the men said. "What makes it move? Where are the bells? How does it work without any weights?"

Tarvan turned the watch over and opened the back to show the mechanism. One of the men brought out a magnifying glass and they took turns looking inside.

"I understand that it uses electricity to make it work," Tarvan commented. "If it does so, the parts are too small for me to see, even with one of the new microscopes. That big round thing holds the electricity and I am told that it has run the portable clock for several years now."

"Years?" one muttered. "Impossible, but I see it before me."

The men stood up and Tarvan replaced the back, turning the watch over.

"Those symbols around the edge," the other guildsman said. "Are those the Garian numbers?"

"Aye, and they are used by the wearer to discover the time," Tarvan explained. "The Guildmistress tells me that on her world, the bells - no, these are not bells, they use a different word. I forget the name," he apologized.

"They are known as hours, I believe," Parrel said. "The divisions of their day do not begin at dawn and dusk but at midnight and each day is divided into twenty-four parts called hours. Each hour is divided into sixty minutes and each minute into sixty seconds. I do not know why those numbers were chosen. The short thick wire you can see counts the hours so goes completely round twice per day. Each time the short wire moves from one number to the next the longer wire will go completely round once, counting sixty minutes, and the very thin wire goes round once for each minute. Because the wearer can see the position of the wires, there is no need for any sequence of bells."

They guildsmen watched the movement of the hands for a while, fascinated.

Bayorn asked, "Parrel, is this portable clock of any value to us? We may not be able to reproduce whatever is happening inside but could the times it displays be used for some purpose?"

Parrel shook his head. "I regret not, Bayorn. If you were to time this watch you would find that it describes a shorter day than that of Anmar. Presently it is merely a curiosity, but one which shows what we may achieve in future. This is truly an item from another world and we must treat it with care."

"There is a crack on the crystal," Bayorn noted.

"Aye. The watch was stolen by Questor Morlan when he disappeared in the summer and it was found later on his body. We think the damage was caused at that time."

Suddenly, the atmosphere changed. Mention of serious matters made everybody stop and think.

"Aye," Bayorn nodded. "Parrel, you shall have your clock but I want your people to keep me informed when they have something working. If what I have been told today has any truth in it at all then of course the Clockmakers Guild would be interested."

"I think we can do that," Parrel said. "Now, if you will excuse us, I have to return these three to the palace before the Queen becomes concerned."

"Oh! In that case, Parrel, let me show you out."

"And the complaint?"

"Speak of it no more, Parrel. I shall have words with Hebren."

* * *

Milsy, Tarvan and Bursila were in her sitting room having completed the evening meal. Parrel had given Milsy some documents describing the more basic rules and regulations covering guild membership and she was seated on the settee, puzzling her way through them. In a chair sat Bursila, who was reading Merizel's lettering book, while Tarvan sat at the table attempting to write a letter. Since Milsy had discovered that Tarvan now resided in the palace, there seemed little point in him going off to spend his evenings alone.

"I can't concentrate on this," Milsy complained. "My mind keeps trying to think up ways to improve clocks. Is it always like this, Tarvan? How do you keep your focus on whatever you are supposed to be doing?"

Tarvan lowered his reed. "I have found it difficult, Milsy, especially since the Guildmistress introduced me to electricity. As an apprentice, each new tool or method was learned slowly enough that I had time to absorb each one before the next was revealed. I regret, I do not think that such methods will work in our futures, it will all come too fast for that."

"Aye. My mind is awhirl with everything that I have discovered these last two weeks. No doubt all this will become familiar in time but right now I am overwhelmed." She put the documents down on the settee and stood. "I think I have to get these ideas out of my head before I forget them. I'll work out what I want on the blackboard and then attempt to transfer them to some paper."

"That is what it is there for. Do you need help?"

"I do not think so, Tarvan. Better that you finish what you are doing than have two of us distracted. Who are you writing to, anyway?"

"The Guildmistress. Master Hurdin mentioned that some items have been sent to Blackstone for her to inspect, including a new version of our small steam engine model, and I was reminded that I should be sending her a weekly report on my activities here. We have - you have made a discovery today and I feel she should be informed of it. If I write a letter and give it to the palace mail agent it should arrive at about the same time as the packages."

"I have never sent a letter to anyone, Tarvan. How long will it take to get there?"

"I have no idea, Milsy. A week, perhaps two weeks. Blackstone is a long way away and not on any major route."

"Oh. It will not be easy to ask something and receive an answer, will it?"

Tarvan grinned. "Not so long as all that, when our semaphore system is put into operation. It may only take three or four days to ask a question and receive an answer."

"Semaphore? What is that?"

"Another day, Milsy. Let me finish this letter."

The two concentrated on their own tasks. Milsy scribbled on the board and drew many diagrams, rubbing most out. Tarvan finished writing and sat reviewing his letter for mistakes and omissions.

"Tarvan?"

"Aye?"

"If we can make this clock work without a weight, by using electricity, then it seems to me that what we have done is created a circuit which the pendulum will switch on and off."

"Aye," he nodded. "That is what we desire, is it not?"

"As you say, but my point is, we will have an electric circuit which is switched on and off regularly. Why cannot we use that same circuit to drive a pendulum in another clock? Many more clocks, in fact, perhaps in different rooms in the palace?"

Tarvan sat up and thought. The implications of electricity were startling and he had not fully grasped some of them until now.

"An interesting notion, Milsy, but I think you are overlooking something."

"What is that?"

"If we can use that electricity to drive another clock then we wouldn't need another pendulum at all, we can just drive the escapement with a solenoid. That would make the clocks smaller, I deem."

Milsy considered this briefly. "Tarvan, I think you are overlooking something. All we need these clocks for is the bells, is it not? There would be little point to each clock counting down the... ticks, I guess we could call them. The clock with the pendulum can do that. All we need is some way to move the bell wheel when required. If we can somehow arrange that, we could probably take out half the sprockets inside the clock, we just don't need them."

Tarvan was impressed all over again. "I didn't think that far through the process, Milsy, but of course you are right. Aye, it would mean another electric circuit but we could use a solenoid."

"How would you do that? How can you use a solenoid?"

"We would use something called a ratchet," he explained, rising and joining Milsy at the blackboard. "It works like this."

He rapidly sketched a saw-toothed wheel and a solenoid which would pull it one way but stop it turning the other. The two looked at each other with mounting excitement.

"Milsy, I think we're going to need another clock."

up
283 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It seems so easy

It seems so easy when looked at with fresh eyes that happen to be attached to an exceptional brain that is not encumbered by a rigid hierarchy of thought and position. Everyone is so surprised when someone does something that everyone says is impossible because they didn't know any better.

I like Milsy and am enjoying reading of her accomplishments while Garia is having her adventures.

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

Ah, the excitement of hands on R&D

It is getting harder and harder for a 'hobbyist' to do anything worthwhile in a non-government, non-university and non-corporate environment as all of the basics are now old hat now.

Bench work

Ah, I hear you.

I had my first soldering iron in 1961 for Christmas. In four years I was mending TVs and two years later was building them from scratch. In 1978 I built my first microcomputer, a Z80-based Nascom-1. Hmm. I still have it, I think, boxed up in the attic somewhere.

Today, on the work table from which I am writing this, I have a Raspberry Pi 2B the size of a credit card which I can only plug things into and is actually more powerful than many of my servers. All the components are surface mount. Even if you can get hold of the raw materials, you'd need a small factory unit in order to be able to assemble them, and you can't do that for £35.

Meh. The world changes and I'm an old fart. I do try to keep up, though.

Penny

Nice one

And the index thingies are updated now too.
J

This one

While it was fairly clear as to what was to happen based on SEE information, was nice, I wonder how they are going to go about getting the 2nd clock, the immediate thought when it is requested will be "they broke it already!?" Maybe when the bell tower is inspected,

I think we're going to need another clock.

Aine Sabine's picture

Every time I hear a statement similar to this, I hear the Taco Bell Chihuahua say "Here Lizard, Lizard, Lizard. I think we're going to need a bigger box! ". It's from the Taco Bell Godzilla commercial. The Matthew Broderick Godzilla from '98.

Wil

Aine

Kicking and screaming

Jamie Lee's picture

Those two clock guildsmen are not going to like the butt chewing for not cleaning ALL of the clock at the palace. It's as though they think themselves above cleaning anything not part of the clock mechanism.

Miley's idea about using the solenoids to keep the pendulum moving is sound, but because of two stick in the muds, her idea is going to really tick those two off. And it will tick them off because of Milsy being a woman, and because they couldn't have even conceived of the idea.

Those guilds still mad because Garia have entered the guild best get their acts together or they will be left behind when others around them are zooming forward. They may not like the up coming changes, but they are going to happen with or without those guilds.

Others have feelings too.