Young Love, Chapter 16

Printer-friendly version

"And you look good for your age," said Robert as he turned toward Lizzie Jane, leaned forward, and kissed her on the lips.

Looking into her pretty face, and said, "Was that okay?"

"Well, no," replied Lizzie Jane with a smile. "But I liked it.".

Young Love
A Lizzie Jane Adventure
Chapter 16
 
By Billie Sue Pilgrim

 

 

Chapter 16

When the last of the guests left, Lizzie Jane went into the house to help straighten things up, but discovered everything neat and clean. The women from church did a good job. Aunt Maudie smiled and said, "You did not have to help clean up. You were the guest of honor."

"Thank you, but I gotta tell you something, Aunt Maudie. I have most of my memory back!" Lizzie Jane was bubbling over with excitement.

"Oh -- that is great, sweetie. What do you mean 'most' of it"

"Well, I remember being lost in the woods and a man named Big John rescued me and I suppose I remember just about everything after that."

"How about things before that?" asked Aunt Maudie.

"Well, I remember a little deer that I rescued from a kudzu patch --- and that is about it."

"You don't remember your mother and growing up?"

"I remember how my mother looks because I see her often in dreams. I also know that we loved each other very much, but about growing up --- no, I don't remember anything," replied Lizzie Jane. "Do you know anything about it?"

Aunt Maudie thought about it for a moment. Her sister had left Carter's Bend before Lizzie Jane was born and they did not correspond very much -- and what she did know -- well, perhaps it would be better if Lizzie Jane was not told about it.

So, Aunt Maudie stretched the truth a little by stating, "No, honey. I have always known you as a sweet little girl who loves others and they love you."

Well, part of that was true. To her, Lizzie Jane had been a sweet child ever since she came to live with her and Jed.

"Okay," replied Lizzie Jane.

She decided that there may have been some unpleasant memories that she needed to forget, so, as far as she was concerned, life began with Aunt Maudie and Uncle Jed. She wanted to always remember her mother. Even though she had passed away, she was always around to take care of Lizzie Jane.

Lizzie Jane was happy to know that her mother was in Heaven with God and the angels. She loved her mother very much and the memory of her had always been with Lizzie Jane, even when she had amnesia. Since Lizzie Jane's heart was stronger than her mind, she had always missed her mother and wished that she had not died when Lizzie Jane was so young.

Some people had told her that God needed an extra angel in Heaven, but Lizzie Jane believed that people who went to Heaven were not angels, but children of God. Angels were a special creation.

Lizzie Jane smiled at those thoughts and her eyes filled with tears. She could imagine her mother looking down from Heaven, reading her thoughts, and smiling at her lovely child with all the love that a mother could have.

Yes, her mother was smiling. Lizzie Jane was sure of that. Lizzie Jane's mother could see that her precious baby had turned out to be a beautiful young lady and knew the plans God had for her. Sure, Lizzie Jane would have some bumps and problems along the way, but all that was to prepare her to be a stronger person to meet the challenges ahead.

"Okay, It is time for bed," proclaimed Aunt Maudie. "You have missed a lot of school, young lady, and it is time for you to try to catch up."

It did not take Lizzie Jane very long to be sound asleep. Her dreams became filled with marvelous scenes and she experienced a dream-like fairy tale with her as the main character. There were angelic creatures, forest animals and she even saw her little deer friend again. She was queen of the forest and her every desire was granted. Everything was so magnificent that she did not want to wake up -- but wake up she must.

She woke with the sun shining through her upstairs bedroom window. Oh, it was going to be a beautiful day. She could hear the birds chirping their happy tunes, each one with their own distinctive sound. A couple of robins could be seen perched just outside the window, as if they were lovebirds; then flying away as one seem to chase the other. Walking to the window, she observed the squirrels running through the branches as if they were greeting the day with joy, too.

A trip to the outhouse and coming back to wash up in a basin removed the 'sleep' from her eyes. Already she could smell the bacon, sausage, and eggs that Aunt Maudie had sizzling in a frying pan. As Lizzie Jane walked in, her aunt was just reaching into the oven retrieving a pan of biscuits. She sat at her regular place at the table, quickly grabbing a biscuit while it was still hot and smeared it with freshly churned butter after she had pulled it into halves. Having a choice of strawberry jelly or honey, Lizzie Jane chose the honey.

She smiled at Aunt Maudie and the smile was returned. This was the one thing she missed while she was gone. She had not realized it before, but there is no place like home, eating breakfast with her family. She had loved living with Carol, but it was not the same. Uncle Jed and Aunt Maudie loved her like she was their own daughter.

Removing her night clothes and putting on a fresh print dress, Lizzie Jane picked up the small lard bucket by the handle containing her lunch, kissed her aunt good-bye and started toward school. Since she had risen early, she decided to walk to the one room school so she could enjoy nature.

She was the first student at school, but Sally, the school teacher, was already there wiping the blackboard.

"Well hello, Lizzie Jane," when Sally turned and saw her. "I am pleased that you are here first. I wanted to get a chance to talk to you."

"What about? Nothing serious, I hope."

"First, how much do you remember?" questioned Sally.

"Oh, just about everything -- that is from the time that Big John rescued me from that panther," replied Lizzie Jane.

"Good. Then you remember the things you learned at school?" It was more of a question than a statement.

"Oh yes, quite a bit. Were you worried that I would forget?"

"No, silly" smiled Sally. "I have you as an eighth grade student and that is as far as we go in this school. Most of our students are going to be farmers or loggers, so there isn't enough interest to go higher. I was thinking about you. You have great potential and you really need to finish high school, so I have been trying to think of a way for you to get the education you deserve."

"How?" asked Lizzie Jane.

"I don't know. We need to get you to another school, but there is a transportation problem. There are a couple more that I think ought to be allowed a high school education, so I was thinking about writing the Alabama State Board of Education to see if they would let me teach the three of you. I haven't attended college, so I only have a teacher's certificate and they may not think that is good enough."

Lizzie Jane was considering what Sally said. Yes, she would like more education than most of the children of the community desired, but transportation was the immediate problem.

"We have this term for you to complete the eighth grade, so maybe you can help me come up with a solution. Ordinarily you would be in the seventh grade, but I promoted you two grades since you were such a great helper in teaching the younger children. You would make a fine teacher -- or maybe a nurse -- or some other profession. Your mind is too good to waste."

"Yes, I am most happy to help," is all Lizzie Jane could say. She was thinking about talking to Sam about the matter and see if he had any ideas.

Other children began arriving and Sally asked Lizzie Jane, "We have some new children. Would you help them learn the alphabet? and their numerals?"

"Sure." answered Lizzie Jane.

"Good, I will send Robert Nolan over to observe. I think he is interested with working with young boys. After he learns the ropes, he will take the boys and you can have the girls. That way, you each will have two children. A lot easier to teach."

Lizzie Jane suggested that they go outside and sit under a shade tree since it was such a gorgeous day and it would be quieter. Robert watched Lizzie Jane's method and caught on very quickly. The children were divided between the two young instructors and they worked with them until lunch time.

Since the children were very young and this was their first day, they were dismissed to go home, but had to promise that they would practice what they had learned. Before the children left, they enjoyed their peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Lizzie Jane smiled at how thrilled they were about being 'big kids' and going to school.

"You have a pretty smile," mentioned Robert.

"Thank you," was Lizzie Jane's reply.

"I am sure your boy friend thinks so, too."

"Oh, I have a boy friend, but it is not a serious situation on my part."

"Then, you are not asked for?"

"Well -- yes -- he asked for me, but I am not sure what I should do, so I am keeping an open mind."

"You are saying you are free?"

"Yes," replied Lizzie Jane.

That opened the door for Robert. Now, he had to think of a way to get his foot in the door.

The couple opened their lunches while sitting in the shade of the tree. Lizzie Jane had some buttered biscuits, a piece of ham, and a pint jar of milk. The milk had gotten warm, but still okay to drink. Robert brought out a couple of sandwiches and some tea in a pint jar.

"Wanna swap?" asked Robert. "One of your biscuits and part of your ham for one of my cheese and lettuce sandwiches?"

"Well, I like my buttered biscuits -- but, okay."

As they ate, Robert looked at Lizzie Jane and said, "You know, you are pretty."

Lizzie Jane blushed. She had not thought much about being pretty.

"Why so red in the face?"

"I am not red in the face."

"Yes, you are!"

Lizzie Jane thought for a second and replied, "Well, you are good looking, too."

"How about us two good looking people meeting together after school?" asked Robert.

"Where?" inquired Lizzie Jane.

"Well, it will not be dark. How about down by Johnson's Lake? I will buy some cokes and cookies."

Lizzie Jane smiled. "Okay," she said.

Miss Sally was close by and heard the conversation. After school started again, she motioned for the couple to come to her desk.

"You two did such a good job today. Why don't you go home early. Lizzie Jane has had a rough experience and it may help her relax," said Sally with a smile.

The two walked along the dirt road. Although it was not summer yet, there hadn't been rain in a few days and the temperature was warm for a spring day -- a perfect day for a walk to the general store and to sit by Johnson's Lake.

Enjoying the coke and cookies, Lizzie Jane leaned back and looked at the sky. Robert followed suit.

"Have you noticed how the clouds look like certain things?" asked Lizzie Jane, watching the clouds floating through the sky like big wads of cotton.

"Yep -- there is one who looks like old man Doc Brown," replied Robert.

"Doc Brown ain't old. In fact, he is very nice -- and good looking for his age," replied Lizzie Jane, watching the same cloud.

"There you go. You agreed that he is old -- looking good for his age, you said," laughed Robert.

"Guess I did," smile Lizzie Jane.

"And you look good for your age," said Robert as he turned toward Lizzie Jane, leaned forward, and kissed her on the lips.

Looking into her pretty face, and said, "Was that okay?"

"Well, no," replied Lizzie Jane with a smile. "But I liked it."

"I am glad."

"Me, too."

He returned to his original position on his back and began watching the clouds again with his fingers interlocked behind his head. "What are you looking for in a husband?"

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe a hard working man who will be good to me and the kids -- and a Christian."

"How many kids do you want?"

Oh, about a dozen I guess will do for a start," replied Lizzie Jane.

"A dozen?"

"Yeah, for a start."

"Why so many?"

"Well, when I get old and feeble, maybe some of them will take care of me. I would go to their homes and stay awhile and rock their kids -- my grandchildren -- and spoil them."

"I don't think I could support that many," said Robert.

"Well, I didn't say it had to be you."

Jokingly Robert replied, "Well, I object to that."

"I am not ready to get married yet -- just thinking."

"Okay, but don't be surprised if I throw my hat in the ring."

"Just so you will know -- It will be a big ring," smiled Lizzie Jane.

The couple lay there for a couple of hours discussing things of general nature when Lizzie Jane said in her normal sweet voice, "I think it is time to go home."

"Well, it is always hard to leave a princess."

"Me? A princess?"

"Sure -- you would be one in my castle."

"Okay Knight Robert. Just be ready to fight the dragons when they show up."

Reaching Lizzie Jane's home, Robert faced her, took her by the shoulders and said, "One for the road" and kissed her with a longer lasting kiss.

"Sweetie, I want to see you again," Robert stated in his soft manly tone.

"Well, you will. We go to school together."

"You know what I mean."

"Yes, I know," smile Lizzie Jane. "Well, goodnight."

"It ain't night yet!"

"Nope, but close enough. Aunt Maudie will be expecting me."

She gave Robert more peck on the cheek and opened the door. Just before closing, she placed her head against the edge of the door and winked at Robert and said, "You be good now."

"Okay," said Robert. Lizzie Jane was that special girl that every man looks for. He stepped off the porch and walked down the road-- singing. Not only with his mouth, but also with his heart.

As she walked into the house, Aunt Maudie asked, "What kind of day did you have?"

Lizzie Jane smiled and in a dreamy tone, "It has been a wonderful day."

Aunt Maudie smiled. She had seen what happened on the front porch.

"Jake came by today," mentioned Aunt Maudie.

"Jake?"

"Yes, he went by the school this afternoon and you wasn't there, so he came over here. You do remember Jake, don't you?"

"Yes. He was the one who stayed close by when I was in the hospital. I think he loved me so much that he did not want to leave."

"Well, Jake is coming back tonight."

"He is? Well, I guess I had better start cooking. Now, what did he like to eat? Oh yes, I remember that, too. I will get some ham out of the smoke house. He likes mashed potatoes, english peas, creamed corn, and ham."

Aunt Maudie stood there a little stunned. "I wasn't sure how felt about Jake."

"Oh, Aunt Maudie, we are still friends." Lizzie Jane paused, then added -- "I hope."
-
-
 
 
To Be Continued...-
-
Copyright 2008 by Starla Anne Lowry
Under the pen name of Billie Sue Pilgrim
-
-

up
47 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Very Sweet Chapter Billie Sue

I can see where you are now taking this story and see how it will grow into a classic. Have you ever thought about penning other stories? believe that you have the talent.
May Your Light forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Very Sweet Chapter Billie Sue

A classic? I don't know about that. Actually, I am not sure where the story is headed. Like I have said, my stories write themselves. Sometimes I am anxious to write the next chapter to see where it goes. -smile-

Take the Josephine Bockkernodd stories -- the one in particular is when she meets Lizzie Jane. I was surprised at how that one ended -- although I wrote it. -smile again-

Yes, I have thought about penning other stories. I would like to see a non-transgendered story site. I have been wanting to write a western romance.

Love,
Billie Sue

Billie Sue

Ask Erin about the resurected Fictioneer pages.

I believe they are for general fiction.

Nice story thought it is sad she has forgotten her days as a boy. It helped to make her what she is. I think the unusual and difficult path to her destiny as a woman and child bearer/child raiser is key. Perhaps when those memories are needed they will return and her memory will be whole or as whole as anyone's can be.

Now comes the time for Jake to prove he is more than her first love. If he can show patient friendship and love maybe he will win out in the end. But he will need to make something of himself as it looks like Lizzie Jane may end up an educator, nurse or even a doctor as her talents demand. Come on Jake, make something of your life and prove to Lizzie you are worthy to father her children, and not just a good childhood friend.

Very charming.

HOW many children!!!!!

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Fictioneer.org

erin's picture

Fictioneer is open again as a general fiction site, run similarly to BC. I'm still pounding kinks out of the software but as of now, anyone is welcome to try it out. I've broken it from biting. I hope. :)

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Huzzah!

laika's picture

HUZZAH FOR FICTIONEER!
I'm gonna yank my non-transgender "BABALOOSKIS" trilogy offa here and put it there,
and in time a few dozen other finished goodies that would be hopelessly out of place here.

Hope to see chapter one of your western romance there sometime soon Billy Sue!
Enjoying the Lizzie Jane saga as much as ever, but for all the doubts you seem to have
had about continuing it, maybe working on another story simultaneously will be a good thing.
~~~hugs, LAIKA

Huzzah!

In response to the statement: "...Enjoying the Lizzie Jane saga as much as ever, but for all the doubts you seem to have
had about continuing it, maybe working on another story simultaneously will be a good thing..."

********************************************

I like Lizzie Jane, althogh I am thinking about closing the next chapter with a shocker! Something to cause people to wonder if that is the end of Lizzie Jane or --- what is going on?

By the statement above, you can probably guess what I am thinking. If I do, I am not going to tell whether anything else is forthcoming.

Love,
Billie Sue

Billie Sue

You can't be that mean

The big shockers would be.

1)She has another accident and goes into a coma or appears to die.
2)Jake or someother boy assualts her and she is pregnant.
2.5)She is abducted by space aliens and frozen until they can capture Elvis to be her mate.
3)She remembers she was a boy and what that idiot judge almost did to him/her and she goes on a killing rampage.
4)Bobby steps out of the shower and it was all a dream -- No, Dallas did that one.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. I susspect I am a tad bit off the mark?

John in Wauwatosa

You can't be that mean

I can be mean and I will prove it in Chapter 17.

Love,
Billie Sue

Billie Sue

I had planned to begin

I had planned to begin writing a story this morning, but I am having a problem registering, There isn't a place to register where it is supposed to be on my puter.

Next, I am expecting submitting something to be difficult for me. (Don't know why -- I am just stupid when it comes to computers.)

If I can get one on, I will use my legal name, Starla Anne.

Love ya
Billie Sue

Billie Sue

Fictioneer.org

Thank you Erin,

I knew that I had asked about another site and you said you were thinking about it, but I don't remembere it being mentioned again. It would be nice to "advertise" Fictioneer. You could do that on Big Closet.

Or have you aready done that and I missed it?

Love,
Billie Sue

Billie Sue

Billie Sue, Does That Mean

That Lizzie Jane is no longer the same sweet young lady that we have grown to love? Whatever the shocker is, you have us all waiting to find out.

I must admit that through out the entire series, Lizzie Jane has remained the same sweet young Christian young lady that in many ways reminds me of Shirley Temple in all of the movies that she was in.

May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Billie Sue, Does That Mean

I think that Lizzie Jane remains a very sweet girl.

I am fearful of putting out the next chapter. I want to tell what happens after that chapter because readers maybe not understand the "why", but, to do that, would ruin the story.

I will say this -- there is another chapter after this one.

I feel that Chapter 17 is the turning point of the story.

Love,
Billie Sue

Billie Sue