My Fathers Secret Part 20

Printer-friendly version


© June 2016


Chapter Thirty Five: She’s a Bad Ass

    Joan was sat reading a book and sipping on a glass of wine when she heard Jessica and Kirstin come through the front door. She quickly closed the book and put it down on the table next to her chair and was up on her feet and going to see how Kirstin was feeling now.

    “Hi mum.” Kirstin and Jessica said at the same time.

     “Hello girls.” Joan smiled as she walked over to them both and pulled them both into a group hug. “How are you feeling now sweetie?” She asked as she broke the hug and looked at Kirstin.

     “I’ve felt better, but I’m glad you were able to help me out.” Kirstin said with a week smile. “Thank you for coming to my rescue mother.”

     “Do you know they had the cheek to fire her over all this?” Jessica said with anger in her voice.

     “I’m really not bothered about all that stuff Jess.” Kirstin sighed. “I was planning on calling head office and handing in my notice anyway, so they saved me a job.” She added with a shrug.

     “If that’s the case, I won’t bother trying to get you your job back then.” Joan said.

     “Do you really think you would be able to?” Kirstin asked.

     “Probably not, but I’m sure we might have been able to get you a nice settlement.” Joan said with a thoughtful look as she tried to work out the details in her head. “Anyway, I need you to come into the office tomorrow, so we can get all the details of what happened.” Joan added just before she led them all into the living room and over to a sofa where they could all sit together.

    Joan sat in the middle of the sofa while Jessica and Kirstin sat either side of her and cuddled up to Joan as they rested their head on a shoulder each.

     “I hope you don’t mind me saying mother, but you were a real bad ass at the police station.” Kirstin said after a couple of minutes just sat there cuddling up to Joan.

     “I had forgotten just how good it felt to scare the police like that.” Joan said with a smile in her voice.

     “Debbie was telling me earlier that you use to do that all the time,” Jessica said as she looked up at Joan from where she had her head resting on Joan’s shoulder. “Why would you ever want to give that up?”

     “Did Debbie tell you that I took over the business when John got ill?” Joan asked.

     “Yes she did, but I don’t understand why you didn’t just add that part to the business so you could carry on doing it.” Jessica asked.

     “Between being with John and making sure the company ran smoothly, I just didn’t have the time to practice criminal law.” Joan explained. “It use to eat up a lot of my time, and I kind of like the things I do now a lot more.” She added with a smile. “And we never would have met if I’d carried on practicing criminal law.” Joan pointed out.

     “You do have a point there mother.” Jessica replied with a worried look.

     “You still might have met.” Kirstin said as she sat up and looked at the two of them. “You might have been the one defending Jonathon.” Kirstin added with a frown.

     “I guess I was heading down that path before I found Jessica.” Jessica agreed with Kirstin.

     “Well it’s a good job we will never have to find out.” Joan smiled as she pulled Kirstin back down to rest her head on her shoulder.

    They sat like that for a little longer, but it was soon getting late so they all got up and went up stairs once the house was all locked up. Joan gave the two girls a hug and a kiss on the cheek before she watched them run off into Jessica’s room.

     ‘I hope they don’t fool around too long, as we do have work tomorrow.’ Joan thought to herself as she walked down the hallway to her own room.

*****

    Kirstin had to laugh the next day when she walked into Joan’s place of work and she was pounced on by Dawn and Debbie.

     “How are you feeling now Kirstin?” Debbie asked as she was the first to reach Kirstin and pull her into a hug.

     “I’m doing fine Deb’s.” Kirstin smiled.

     “Hi Kirstin.” Dawn said as she took her turn giving Kirstin a hug. “I’m so glad you’re alright.” She added.

     “That was a sweet move with the knee.” Debbie grinned.

     “Thanks Deb’s, but I wasn’t really thinking, I just did anything to make him stop.” Kirstin said with a shudder. “I can still feel his hands on me.” She shuddered some more.

     “I bet he can still feel your knee between his legs even more.” Dawn sniggered. This comment from Dawn soon had the others laughing, even Kirstin was laughing at the comment.

     “Speaking of our creepy little want to be rapist, has there been any word on how he’s doing?” Joan asked.

     “Well it turns out Kirstin did a little more damage than they first thought, and he was taken into surgery late last night.” Debbie started to explain. “He had some very serious swelling and they had to remove both his testicals.” Debbie added with a satisfied look.

     “Will I get in trouble for causing that?” Kirstin asked worriedly.

     “Don’t worry about it dear, you acted in self defence, and we have the CCTV footage to prove it.” Joan said in her normal calm voice. “But just to play it safe, I want to look into this Nathan Dorral’s life and find out if he’s done anything like this before.” Joan added as she started to work out a plan of attack.

     “Can I do anything to help?” Kirstin asked.

     “Yes you can.” Joan smiled. “Can you find out where this Nathan has worked in the past, so we can contact those areas to see if he’s ever been in trouble before?” Joan asked.

     “Not a problem mother, I have a couple of friends at the restaurant that will help me find some stuff out.” Kirstin grinned. “There were a couple of stories going around about him getting other staff members fired for making up faults claims of sexual harassment against him.” Kirstin added excitedly.

     “Peter, Doug...!” Joan shouted as she looked over to where the two of them were stood near the entrance. “Can the two of you man the desk here for today?” Joan asked.

     “Yes Ma’am.” They both said at the same time as they walked over to the reception desk and got ready for the first clients coming in.

     “Dawn, I want you to work with Debbie and Kirstin today.” Joan started to explain her plan. “I want the three of you to find out all you can about this nasty little man.” Joan added with a growl.

     “Not a problem.” Dawn smiled.

     “Well, what are you waiting for?” Joan asked when the three of them just stood looking at each other with evil grins on their faces.

    The grins vanished and Joan and Jessica watched as Debbie Dawn and Kirstin all turned and ran off towards Debbie’s office.

     “Do you think this Nathan could be trouble mother?” Jessica asked after she’d watched Kirstin disappear around the corner with Debbie and Dawn.

     “I have a feeling he is going to try to be a problem, but we already have enough evidence to win any case they might want to bring against Kirstin.” Joan said in a reassuring tone.

     “So why go to all this trouble then?” Jessica sounded confused.

     “Because I want to destroy him.” Joan smiled an evil smile.

    Jessica was about to say something, but after seeing the smile Joan gave her, she ended up just saying. “Oh.”

     “Come on dear, we have a lot more work to get done now today with Debbie busy on other things.” Joan said as she started walking towards her part of the building.

    Jessica fell in behind Joan and followed her through to the office where she split off and sorted out some drinks for them all in the kitchen. She took a tray into Debbie’s office before going back for the other tray and then making her way into Joan’s office to work out a new plan of attack for the day.

*****

    Kirstin, Debbie and Dawn were all waiting for calls from people at lunchtime, so Jessica called a local restaurant and ordered some food to be delivered and they were all sat in Joan’s office eating and talking about what they had found out so far.

     “Dorral’s family have spent a small fortune trying to keep him out of trouble.” Debbie said with anger in her voice.

     “Have you been able to find anyone that they weren’t able to pay off?” Joan asked.

     “Kirstin has a couple of good leads she’s waiting to hear back from them.” Dawn sounded positive.

     “We also have a very long list of people that don’t like Nathan Dorral very much.” Debbie added.

     “Keep up the good work.” Joan smiled proudly. “It won’t be long before Dorral’s people will be in touch.” Joan added.

     “Why do you think they will be in touch with you?” Jessica asked.

     “I’m the one who’s going to bring their nephew down, so they will contact me trying to work out a deal to make it all go away, then they will try to scare me off when that doesn’t work, and finally they will try to work out a deal with Kirstin to make this all go away.” Joan said in a matter of fact way.

     “How do y...” Jessica started to say, but Joan cut her off.

     “This isn’t my first rodeo.” Joan smiled.

     “How will they try to scare you off?” Kirstin asked worriedly.

     “They will try to use what you did to Nathan, but with the CCTV footage, that’s a none starter, but they will think that I’m out of my depth because I’m not listed as a criminal lawyer anymore.” Joan said with the same evil smile.

     “Won’t t they be able to check some sort of registration to find out?” Kirstin asked.

     “Yes they can. But I practiced criminal law under my maiden name which isn’t Green.” Joan said smugly.

     “I almost feel sorry for them.” Debbie smiled.

     “I don’t.” Jessica growled. “They deserve all they get for protecting a little piece of shit like that.”

     “Jessica...!” Joan snapped at the use of such fowl language.

     “Sorry mother, but they...” Jessica was cut off by Joan raising her hand.

     “We are better than that.” Joan said.

     “Yes mother.” Jessica mumbled with embarrassment over being told off in front of the others.

     “I have a feeling mother is going to destroy them in her own special way baby.” Kirstin said as she placed her arms around Jessica and hugged her.

    Jessica relaxed into the hug and enjoyed it for the next ten minutes before Kirstin, Dawn and Debbie all went back to work and Jessica and Joan got ready for Joan’s afternoon meetings.

*****

    Joan had just finished with her last afternoon appointment and given Jessica some paperwork to file which Jessica was in the middle of sorting out when she got a call from Peter out on the main reception.

     “Hi Peter, is everything alright?” Jessica asked.

     “Hello Jess. I have a group of men in suits out here that say they need a meeting with Joan right away.” Peter explained.

     “Who are they and what do they want to talk to her about?” Jessica asked.

     “They just said they are representing the Dorral family.” Peter said.

     “Ask them to take a seat and I will have a word with Joan and get back to you.” Jessica said just before she ended the call and went to let Joan know.

     “Come in...!” Joan shouted when Jessica knocked on the door.

     “Sorry to bother you mother, but there are a group of men here about Nathan Dorral.” Jessica said in a calm voice, or as calm as she could make it sound given whom they were here about.

     “Let the games begin.” Joan smiled as she got to her feet and she followed Jessica out of her office and out to the main reception area.

     “Do you want me to remain at my desk while you talk with them?” Jessica asked.

     “No, I think it will give you a good laugh to see me destroy these nasty little men.” Joan said with an air of power about her that Jessica had never seen before.

    Joan and Jessica had no trouble working out who the men were when they walked out into the reception area. There were four men in very expensive looking suits sat on one of the large sofas they had out in the waiting area.

     “Miss Green?” One of the men said as the four of them stood up and looked down at Joan and Jessica.

    Jessica was beginning to feel a little intimidated, but Joan looked as cool as normal as she looked up at the men.

     “It’s Mrs Green.” Joan said in a calm voice. “Now please explain your reason for coming to see me?” Joan asked as she looked all four men in the eyes one at a time until each one looked away first.

     “We’ve come to try and talk some sense into you.” The same man started to explain. “We all know that you don’t understand the first thing about Criminal law, and you don’t stand a chance of getting our client convicted of assault, never mind attempted rape.” The man added with a small laugh like he thought Joan was a little simple for even thinking she stood a chance.

    Joan looked at the four men as they all did the same little laugh, then Joan focused on the one doing all the talking as she started to read off a list of laws they were breaking by contacting her. The men were soon looking a little more worried.

     “Is there some place we can go and talk about all this?” The lead man asked sounding a little more nervous now.

     “I think we’re fine right here.” Joan said as she looked around the waiting area.

     “You do realise that we have a very strong case against your client for assault.” The man tried the scare tactic.

     “I have CCTV footage of your client attacking mine and her defending herself.” Joan pointed out as she then waited for their next move.

     “I’m sure you’re mistaken.” The man was starting to sweat just a little.

     “Have you seen the CCTV footage?” Joan asked with a raised eyebrow.

     “We’ve not yet seen the footage, but we will be taking a look at it shortly.” The man stammered out.

     “So you’ve waltzed in here trying to intimidate me and you have no idea what your client has done?” Joan was the one to use a smug laugh now. Joan then went on to reel off a list of names that belonged to other women their client had come onto and not taken ‘No’ for an answer with.

     “What do any of those women have to do with this?” The man asked looking puzzled now.

     “Those are five other women your client had problems with, whom were bullied into dropping their cases because someone like you turned up.” Joan was still sounding very calm.

    Jessica could not be prouder of Joan at this very minute as she had four men looking scared for their very lives as they looked down at this woman almost a foot smaller whom was ruling over them.

     “You will never make any of this stuff stick.” The man tried to bluff.

     “I don’t have to make anything stick young man.” Joan laughed. “It is you whom has to try and prove your client didn’t do any of this, which is going to be hard given the fact he was caught on camera doing it.”

    All four men were now looking at each other like they had never been in a spot like this before, and none of them could think of what to do now.

     “I think this is the point where you all leave.” Joan said as she tried to help them out.

    Jessica had to put a hand over her mouth and fake a cough to hide a giggle. She even noticed that Joan was trying not to laugh as she looked at the four men nervously moving from foot to foot as they looked at each other. Their minds were made up for them when Doug stepped over and spoke to them.

     “I’m sorry to bother you gentlemen, but I think your car is about to be towed away.” Doug pointed to the front of the building were a large black Mercedes was just being lifted at the front end ready for towing.

    All four men grabbed the brief cases and ran out the building trying to stop their car being towed. Jessica, Joan, Doug and Peter all stepped over to the window and watched the four men running off down the road trying to catch up with the tow truck and their car.

     “Do you think I should have told them a little sooner about their car being towed?” Doug asked in a matter of fact way as he watched the men running down the road.

     “Since when did vehicles get towed from in front of our building?” Joan asked as she watched the men running after their car.

     “Since I called Samuel and asked him to do me a favour.” Doug smiled. “He works for a breakdown recovery company and I told him all about Kirstin’s problem and he was more than happy to help.” Doug added with a laugh.

     “Tell Samuel that I owe him one.” Joan chuckled.

     “I will, but I think he will say he was happy to help.” Doug shrugged.

     “Where will he take the car?” Jessica asked. “And don’t we need to have some sort of a sign up to warn them of it being a towing zone or something like that.”

     “We have that covered.” Doug smiled as if on cue a van pulled up outside and a couple of men jumped out and attached a sign to the lamppost outside the building warning of it being a towing zone. “I hope you don’t mind Joan, but we have been having trouble with people parking right outside because they don’t want to pay for parking.”

     “I don’t mind at all, just as long as you warn the clients if they park out there.” Joan smiled at the good idea Doug and Peter had. “Will it cost us anything?” Joan asked.

     “Nope, they make their money from the people dumb enough to park out there.” Doug chuckled.

     “I bet none of them thought their day was going to end like this when they woke up this morning.” Jessica said as she turned away from the window because the men were all gone out of sight.

    Joan turned around and joined Jessica as they made their way back to the office so they could tell Kirstin, Debbie and Dawn what just happened.

*****

    It was another couple of days before they heard anymore from anyone to do with Dorral’s case and it was the restaurant chain contacting Kirstin trying to give her her old job back with a large pay rise.

     “I don’t care how much more money an hour you are willing to give me.” Kirstin snapped down the phone. “He tried to rape me and he is going to have his day in court.” Kirstin added before she ended the call.

     “How was that?” Kirstin asked as she looked at Joan.

    Kirstin had been coming into the office and helping Debbie and Dawn to track down as much information as they could on Nathan Dorral, and they had found out quite a bit which was evidence from the fact Kirstin was now being offered her job back with a pay rise if she dropped her case against Nathan Dorral.

     “That was perfect my dear.” Joan smiled. “If his lawyers have any sense they will tell him to admit his crimes and plead guilty.”

     “And what happens if he doesn’t take their advice?” Kirstin asked.

     “We tear him apart in court.” Joan shrugged like it wasn’t a big deal.

    Joan was right and they were informed that he had pleaded guilty to all charges and he would be sentenced in due course. Nathan Dorral was finally sentenced to two years in prison and he would be on the sex offenders register for the rest of his life.

    I think we should all go out and celebrate.” Joan said at the end of the day.

     “I’m up for it.” Jessica smiled as they all sat in Joan’s office relaxing on the sofas.

     “I’d love to, but Paul and I don’t have anyone to look after the babies.” Debbie pouted.

     “We could make it a girls night out.” Jessica said with some pleading in her voice for Debbie to join them.

     “I’ll have to give Paul a quick call and make sure he’s alright with me doing that.” Debbie said with a sigh as she got up and headed into her office to give her husband a call.

     “You know that he’s going to say yes to her don’t you.” Jessica said to Joan.

     “I know he will because he was just saying to me the other day that Debbie needs to get out with us for a girls night out.” Joan smiled.

    Debbie was soon skipping back into the office with a grin from ear to ear. “Paul said he’d be more than happy to watch the babies for me while I had a night out.” Debbie said just before she dropped onto the sofa next to Jessica and got pulled into a hug.

     “I say we go to Tony’s for something to eat and then move onto a wine bar or something like that after.” Joan said. The other three all agreed it was a good idea and they all grabbed their bags and headed for Joan’s car.

    Tony almost ran over to greet the five women when they entered the restaurant. “It is a crime to have so much beauty in one place.” Tony said as he kissed each of them on the hand.

     “Hello Tony.” Joan smiled. “Do you think you’ll be able to find a table for five of us?” Joan asked.

     “I make room, even if I kick someone out.” Tony said as he turned around and waved his hand for the girls to follow him. He didn’t need to kick anyone out as he had a large table free in the middle of the room.

    They were soon seated and Tony sent over a couple of bottles of wine for them and a glass of sparkling water for Joan as she was the one driving.

     “Have you ever eaten in here before?” Jessica asked Dawn when she saw her looking around the place like it was all new to her.

     “No I haven’t, but I have heard some good things about the place.” Dawn said just before she took a sip from her glass of white wine.

     “Tony knows what you want to eat even before you do.” Jessica said in amazement.

     “How can he do that?” Dawn asked with some doubt in her voice.

     “I have no idea, but he’s always served me what I wanted.” Jessica shrugged. Jessica’s point was proven when their plates were brought out and they all got just what they wanted.

     “What are your plans now then Kirstin?” Debbie asked as they ate. “Got any idea what sort of a job you’re looking for now?”

     “I have been looking and sending my CV out, but I’ve not had any replies.” Kirstin sighed. “I wonder if my names been black listed.”

     “I can’t see that happening, but anything is possible.” Joan said.

     “I think it’s just the fact that the job market isn’t very strong at the minute.” Dawn said.

     “Have you given Tony a copy of your CV?” Joan asked.

     “I sent him one once before, but I don’t think he even looked at it.” Kirstin sighed.

    Before Kirstin could say another word Joan’s hand shot up and Tony was soon coming over to see what was wrong.

     “What be the problem my lovely Joan?” Tony asked as he looked at the table to see if he could spot any problem with the food.

     “The food is just as lovely as always Tony, but I was wondering if you have any job openings?” Joan asked.

     “Why? Do you want me to give you a job? Is the law work not paying enough?” Tony asked.

     “I’m not asking for me silly.” Joan laughed as she playfully slapped Tony on the arm. “I have a very good friend that would love to train under you. They sent you their CV, but don’t think you looked at it.” Joan explained.

     “If you say they are good, then I will give them a look.” Tony said with pride in his voice. “You tell them to come see me and I will see if I can work with them as a personal favour to you my lovely Joan.”

     “Tony this is Kirstin, Kirstin this is Tony.” Joan said as she introduced the two of them to each other.

     “You are the one that wishes to work under me?” Tony said as he stepped around the table and pulled Kirstin to her feet to get a better look at her. “I am not worthy to have such beauty working for me.” He said as he kissed Kirstin’s hand again.

     “Does that mean you don’t want me to work here?” Kirstin asked with hurt in her voice.

     “Yes I want you to work here my sweet Kirstin.” Tony looked shocked. “I just say that I am not worthy to work with such beauty.” He explained.

     “I’m not that beautiful.” Kirstin blushed.

     “She is too modest.” Tony said as he looked at the others sat around the table.

     “I take you for my wife, and all this will be yours.” Tony said with a grin, but Kirstin knew he was just playing around.

     “I’m sorry Tony, but as tempting as that is I am already taken by another.” Kirstin pouted.

     “He not treat you as well as I.” Tony pleaded.

     “She treats me very well.” Kirstin smiled as she looked at Jessica whom was enjoying the floor show.

     “She...?” Tony said just before he saw where Kirstin was looking. “You and Jessica...?” He asked.

     “Yes, Jessica and I are an item.” Kirstin said with pride. “I hope that won’t be a problem?” Kirstin asked.

     “No, no problem at all.” Tony said in a sad voice. “I will take you both for my wives.” He added in a tone that said it would be a tough job, but he would take one for the team just before he started grinning.

    Joan, Debbie and Dawn all sat with their mouths open when they saw Jessica jump up and stand the other side of Tony to what Kirstin was stood and she wrapped her arms around him as she played along and made like he could have her and Kirstin.

     “I will finally get the recipe to that wonderful sauce.” Jessica grinned.

     “Joan teach you to be to sneaky.” Tony said as he broke the hugs with Kirstin and Jessica. “You start tomorrow afternoon at four.” Tony said as he kissed Kirstin’s hand again.

     “Tomorrow...?”Kirstin asked in shock that she’d got the job just like that. “What should I wear?”

     “Something elegant.” Tony said as he waved his hands in the air. “You help me keep people happy.” He added as he looked around the room. Kirstin was about to ask him something else, but she was left with her mouth handing open when he said “Tomorrow...!” And then he was gone to the other side of the room to speak with another customer.

     “Did I just find myself another job?” Kirstin asked looking shocked as she sat down at the table again.

     “I think you just did.” Jessica smiled.

     “And what’s with you jumping up and flirting with Tony?” Dawn asked with a grin.

     “I just thought it would be fun to join in.” Jessica giggled.

     “I’m glad to see you finally having some fun.” Debbie beamed with pride for her friend.

    They finished the meal and then moved onto a wine bar to have a couple of drinks and enjoy some dancing. Thankfully they didn’t get hit on by any men and they all wandered back to Joan’s car at the end of the night so Joan could drop Dawn and Debbie at their homes before heading back to her place and going to bed.

*****

     “I can’t believe you went and got a new job.” Jessica pouted the next morning while she was getting ready for work while Kirstin sat on the edge of the bed watching her get ready. “I liked having you at the office so I could come and see you whenever I wanted.” Jessica added with another pout.

     “I know baby, and I liked it to.” Kirstin sighed. “But working in an office just isn’t my thing, and I think mother was beginning to notice a drop in your work.”

     “Will you still be coming down to London this weekend?” Jessica asked with worry in her voice as she realised it might just be her and Joan now that Kirstin would be working with Tony at the restaurant.

     “I don’t think so baby.” Kirstin said with a pained look. “The weekends are the busiest time for any restaurant, and I don’t think Tony will let me have every other weekend off so I can go to London.” She pointed out.

     “I guess you’re right...” Jessica trailed off.

     “You’ll have Jane and the others to keep you entertained.” Kirstin said, trying to cheer Jessica up. “Anyway, I should be the one looking all gloomy.” Kirstin added when she saw that her first attempt at cheering Jessica up wasn’t working. “I’m going to be stuck working while you’re out having fun...!” She said as she jumped up and playfully slapped Jessica’s arm.

     “I’d happily give up the fun weekend to spend the time with you.” Jessica grumbled.

     “Even if you didn’t go to London this weekend, you still wouldn’t have me around because I’ll be at work.” Kirstin said sounding sterner now.

     “I know you’re right, but it doesn’t mean I have to like it.” Jessica admitted defeat on the matter.

    Jessica and Kirstin joined Joan in the kitchen for some breakfast before they all left the house so Joan and Jessica could get to work, while Kirstin was heading back to her Aunt’s house to tell her the good news about getting a job at Tony’s.

     “I’ll call you later when I get a spare couple of minutes to let you know how the new job is going.” Kirstin promised as she held Jessica in her arms and stole some kisses between words.

     “Damn right you will.” Jessica smirked. She was finally snapping out of her mood.

    Jessica’s mood had been like a roller coaster the past couple of weeks since she started on her hormone treatment, but Dawn had warned Kirstin about this, so Kirstin just blanked the mood swings and waited for Jessica to snap out of it.

    They finally broke the hug when Joan shouted. “Come on Jess...! We need to get a move on before the traffic gets to bad and we end up being late.” Joan looked at her watch and then Jessica and Kirstin with a frown.

     “You better get going.” Kirstin grinned just before stealing one last kiss.

    Kirstin let out a happy sigh as she watched the woman she loves run over and get in Joan’s car before they drove away with Kirstin waving at them until they were out of sight. Kirstin then walked over to her car and made her way over to her Aunt’s to tell her the good news.

*****

     “Is everything alright sweetie?” Joan asked as she drove them to work.

     “Yes...” Jessica said without any real feeling in it. “Okay, No...” Jessica added when she saw the raised eyebrow Joan was giving her when they stopped at a set of traffic lights.

     “And what’s wrong?” Joan asked, but was pretty sure she already knew the answer.

     “Kirstin told me that she wouldn’t be able to come to London with us this weekend, now she’s got a job again.” Jessica sighed heavily. “And I was kind of getting used to her being at the office.” She added as an afterthought.

     “You know that Kirstin wasn’t going to keep coming into the office.” Joan said. “She’s just not the office work type of person.”

     “I know she’s not, but it was nice being able to wander into the Debbie’s or your office, and find her sat there looking through paperwork” Jessica sighed heavily.

     “I’m sure it was, but it was also slowing you down, so part of me is glad she’s not going to be around at work much anymore.” Joan was frowning now.

     “Sorry about that.” Jessica mumbled as she played with the hem of her skirt. “I didn’t realise I had slowed down.”

     “It wasn’t that bad.” Joan waved off Jessica’s worries just before she pulling into the parking area for the office and parked the car.

    Dawn was busy with a client for someone in another part of the building when Joan and Jessica walked in, so they just smiled and waved as they made their way back to their part of the building.

    Jessica put her purse behind her desk and then went to sort out some drinks for them all, while Joan went to her office. Debbie wasn’t in yet because she would need to drop the babies off at the day care in another part of the building before she came to her office.

     “Do you need a hand?” Debbie asked as she arrived just in time to open the door to Joan’s office.

     “That would be great.” Jessica smiled as she stood with a tray of drinks for the three of them.

    Jessica handed out the drinks and then took a seat on the sofa next to Joan.

     “Are you still planning to go down to London this weekend?” Debbie asked.

     “Yes we are.” Jessica mumbled unexcitedly.

     “You don’t sound too happy about it.” Debbie looked puzzled. “You normally can’t wait to go down there and hang out with Jane and her sisters.” Debbie added.

     “She’s not happy because Kirstin won’t be able to come; not now she’s got a job.” Joan pointed out.

     “Oh, I see.” Debbie said just before she took a sip from her cup. “When are you going?” Debbie asked.

     “We’ll head down Friday night, so Jessica can see Sarah her Psychiatrist on the Saturday morning.” Joan started to explain. “Then we will do some window shopping before heading back to the hotel and taking a nap before going to the club Saturday night.”

     “When do you plan to come back?” Debbie asked.

     “We will come back Sunday afternoon ready for work on Monday.” Joan said just before taking a sip from her cup.

    They all finished their drinks and Jessica took the empty cups back to the small kitchen just off her office space, while Joan and Debbie spoke about their first client of the day. Jessica was soon to busy sorting out paperwork and files to notice that Kirstin wasn’t around.

*****

    Dawn joined them mid morning to have a drink, which was the first break Dawn had been able to take since she first arrived. Doug and Peter were keeping an eye on reception for her while she had a drink and chatted with Jessica, Joan and Debbie.

     “Do you have any plans for the weekend?” Jessica asked Dawn.

     “Yes, it’s my weekend to have my children.” Dawn beamed with pride. Joan had moved heaven and earth to get Dawn unsupervised visitation rights, and this was going to be the first weekend that Dawn would have them for the whole weekend.

     “It’s two girls you have isn’t it?” Jessica asked. Dawn didn’t speak about her children much because it always upset her to think about them being stuck with their other mother.

     “Yes, Mandy is eight, and Mindy is ten going on forty.” Dawn smiled proudly.

     “I hope you have a wonderful time with them.” Jessica smiled.

     “Do you have any big plans for them?” Debbie asked.

     “No, not really, it will just be fun to spend time with them and play it by ear.” Dawn grinned.

    They finished their drinks and all got back to work as the rest of the day seemed to fly by.

     “Where are we going?” Jessica asked when she was sat in Joan’s car heading for home, or that is where Jessica thought they should be heading.

     “I thought we could grab something to eat before we go home, so we don’t have to cook or clean up after.” Joan said as she headed into the city.

     “Are we going where I think we’re going...?” Jessica asked excitedly when she saw which part of the city they were heading for.

     “Yes, we’re heading for Tony’s, so you can check up on Kirstin.” Joan smiled at just how different Jessica’s mood was all of a sudden.

    Jessica was almost out of the car before Joan had parked, and then she was stood waiting for Joan and bouncing on the spot like that would make Joan move faster.

     “There she is.” Jessica said as they stepped into the restaurant and saw Kirstin laughing as she sorted out a group of six men sat around a table in the middle of the room.

     “Hello my pretty Joan.” Tony said as he came over to great them and led them over to a table for two on the other side of the room to where Kirstin was. “You come to check up on your girl?” Tony asked when he saw Jessica straining her neck to look at Kirstin.

     “How is she doing?” Jessica finally asked when her neck started to hurt and she had to sit properly in her seat.

     “She very good, and pretty on the eyes.” Tony smiled

     “Does that mean you’ll be keeping her on after tonight then?” Joan asked.

     “Oh yes, she far too good to leave.” Tony sounded worried about losing Kirstin “Here she come now.” Tony added as he saw Kirstin making her way over to the table with a big grin plastered across her face.

     “Hi Babe...” Kirstin said as she cheek kissed Jessica while giving her a quick hug. “Hello mother.” Kirstin added as she did the same with Joan.

     “I leave you to sort this table.” Tony said just before he wandered off to talk to a couple at another table.

     “How’s it going?” Jessica asked before Kirstin could say another word.

     “It’s amazing.” Kirstin grinned. “Tony is a total wonder; he can work out what a person wants just by looking at them.” She added with shock.

     “Do you know how he does it?” Joan asked in a whisper.

     “Not a clue.” Kirstin whispered back. “But I hope I can get him to teach me some day.”

     “So how do we order with you then? Do we just pick something off the menu?” Joan asked.

     “No, Tony will be back in a minute with your order already written down so I can take it back to the kitchen and get the chefs to sort it out.

    Kirstin was right and a minute later Tony was back and handing Kirstin a slip of paper with Joan and Jessica’s orders wrote on it. “I better go and carry on working, but I will check back with you later.” Kirstin promised just before she headed to the back and through the door that led to the kitchen.

    Joan and Jessica were soon eating their meal while Kirstin would wander past to make sure everything was alright. The meal was soon over and it was time for the two of them to leave and let Kirstin focus on her other customers.

     “Will I see you later?” Jessica asked Kirstin when she came up to them as they were just about to leave after paying the bill.

     “I’m not sure what time I’ll be done, so I was just going to head back to my Aunt’s place.” Kirstin said as she pulled Jessica closer and planted a kiss on her lips while they were both stood in front of the waiting area.

     “I don’t mind waiting up for you if you want to come over and spend the night.” Jessica said with a pleading tone to her voice.

     “As tempting as that sounds, I think we could both use a good night’s sleep, so I will go to my Aunt’s and you can get yourself off to bed for some much needed beauty sleep.” Kirstin said just before steeling another kiss. Kirstin gave Joan a hug before she watched them leave and head around the corner to the car park where Joan had parked her car.

    The rest of the week seemed to fly by and it was soon Friday and Jessica wasn’t looking forward to her weekend away as much as she would have liked, due to Kirstin being stuck working all weekend.

    Jessica and Joan said goodbye to Debbie and Dawn before they left to head home and get their things sorted out ready for the car picking them up and taking them to the train station.

 

To Be Continued Next Monday  GRIN

 

Story by SaraUK

 

Edited and Posted by SamanthaK

    EDITORS NOTE: Please Comment and/or leave Kudos and let Sara know you like her work please, Any comments on spelling, grammar or the layout of the story please PM me “Samanthak” not Sara. Thank you

    Authors Note: Cathy, Jane and all the others that Jessica and Joan meet while down in London, are all characters I wrote about in my; You Have it all Wrong series. Even though you don’t hear about Jane’s story until book four ‘You have it all Wrong Four, the Kids Story’ the time line for this story is set between book three and book four. So to find out more about Chrissy, Amy and Cathy, and how they all became the women they are in this story, you will need to go back and read them.

    Hugs

    SaraUK

up
232 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice story

This is a nice story and I am enjoying reading about Jessica's life, but for some reason I am have a mild foreboding that something is going to happen while Jessica and Joan are in London. Not sure if it will be with Dawn, Kirstin, or someone else but I could be wrong - it certainly wouldn't be the first time.

BTW - I love the You have it all Wrong series and have read it multiple times.

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

Immovable object

Jamie Lee's picture

Well little 'ole Nathan finally had his deeds catch up with him in the person named Joan.

Those lawyers didn't do their homework completely, or they would have known who they were up against and the evidence to be presented.

While he won't be contributing to the gene pool any longer, it can't be ruled out he might spend his time in prison plotting to get even with Kristin.

Although if he's smart, which is unlikely, he'd use that time to figure out what he'll do once he gets out. After all, he will be a registered sex offender and the family will find it hard to give him a job where women are employed. Awww, what a shame.

Poor Jessica, she has it bad for Kristin. But she needs to realize their separation won't demise the love they have for each other. And it's sometimes necessary for separation to occur.

Others have feelings too.

weekend trip

Wonder if Kristen will be joining Jessica on the weekend as a surprise. Tony sounds like he would do that.

J Schade

Kirstin is lucky

In that she has Joan's help to at least get her foot in the door. Luckily Kirstin is as good as she thinks she is but it must irk her a bit that it took basically an insider to get it as one would like to think it is their sheer competence that makes them deserving.

Well, that is actually how the world works unfortunately as personal recommendations get people into more 'advertised' jobs then not, as a lot of advertised jobs are advertised because it is legally required (e.g. government jobs) but the listing has already been tailored for a particular person.

Joan and criminal law

Well, all I can say is that criminal law must've grounded her down a bit as it can be a pretty ugly area of law to work in.

Property law is probably not nearly as exciting but it must help keep the blood pressure down a bit.

Trouble brewing?

Dawn may have gotten visitation rights but one must wonder what kind of poison their mother have been whispering in their ears or if her ex will have some underhanded way to ruin this contact.