Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 210

Printer-friendly version

"And you took out someone she failed with?" Tom looked at me with astonishment.

"Yes. Yes I did." I felt indignant.

He started to laugh and shook his head.

"What is so funny?"

"You knocking anyone down."

"I caught the bag snatcher."

"And the dormouse," he chuckled, "don't forget the dormouse."

Easy As Falling Off A Bike
by Angharad.
part 210.

"Where's Stella?"

"In hospital."

"I thought she wasn't working until after Christmas."

"She's a patient, Tom."

"She didn't haemorrhage again?"

"No, we had a little contra temps with a pair of thugs in the car park."

"Trouble seems to follow you around Cathy."

"She got involved first." I explained how she switched into Girl Guide mode and went to help the woman the thugs were assaulting and then I had to help her."

"So you had to rescue Stella?"

"Yes, sort of, I mean I could hardly let her get hurt anymore than she was and I did try to restrain her. She just went for it, took out the first guy, and the second one got her."

"And you took out someone she failed with?" Tom looked at me with astonishment.

"Yes. Yes I did." I felt indignant.

He started to laugh and shook his head.

"What is so funny?"

"You knocking anyone down."

"I caught the bag snatcher."

"And the dormouse," he chuckled, "don't forget the dormouse."

"I surprised him..." I tried to continue.

"It surprised me, it must have shocked him."

"Ha ha, look I have to get some stuff for Stella, we can talk about this later."

"Why don't I take the stuff into Stella and you stay home and cook us a nice dinner."

"She'll think it's cowardice on my part."

"No she won't, I'll say I made you stay at home, besides Simon will be here soon. He might appreciate having you to himself for an hour or so. You go and make up the bag and I'll take it in."

He wasn't going to take no for an answer, so I gave in and went off to pack up an overnight bag for her. He'd made me some tea when I came back down. Then he shot off to the hospital.

I know he likes Stella, which is fine with me, but he is at least twice her age, so I'm still trying to understand his relationship with her. He dotes on me like a spare father, so is he doing the same for her, I don't know. Hmmm! Nor am I sure what I think of it.

I went to see what was in the fridge with which I could manufacture our dinner. A pile of pork chops and some veg. I went out to the pantry and found a bottle of white wine. There was some cream in the fridge too, so I started pork in a wine and cream sauce.

The vegetables were potatoes of course, carrots, celery and asparagus. Tom must have bought the latter, I wouldn't until it's less expensive, but I'm happy to eat it!

I had just finished preparing the veg when Simon came in. He walked in, put down his case and picked me up in a monster hug.

"I've missed you," he said.

"I've missed you too, Simon."

We kissed and then hugged and then kissed, you know like he's just come home from the war! Well I hadn't seen him for a couple of days.

"Hmm, that smells good." He looked around, "Where's Tom and Stella."

This was the bit I wasn't looking forward to telling him. "Erm, they're in hospital."

"What visiting someone?"

"Sort of."

"Hey, this wine is okay, what do you mean, sort of?"

"Tom is visiting Stella."

His eyes widened and I knew it wasn't a good sign. "Honestly Cathy, how come you two can't look after each other?"

I told him what happened. His eyes widened again.

"You broke up a Russian prostitution ring? Gee whizz, Cathy, you're like um, um bloody Wonder Woman."

I was tempted to ask him for the bracelets and belt, but the belt he might have given me could have been something less welcome. "Stella started this one, not me."

"But you two should look after each other."

"We did sort of," I shrugged my shoulders, I'd done my bit anyway. The veg were boiling too fast so I turned them down.

"So is she okay?"

"As far as I know, Tom should be home soon, they kick you out at eight so I'm cooking for half past, is that okay?"

"Yes fine, I'm going to shower."

"Want me to wash your back." I wasn't sure if I'd said the wrong thing.

"I'd love you to but I think one of us had better stay ready to speak with Tom or answer the phone, don't you?"

I nodded feeling ever so slightly rejected. My experience of the other night was still very strong. He saw the change in my expression and walking over to me, kissed me with some passion.

"I'm not rejecting you, I love you, but I am concerned about Stella. I still don't know how she had the haemorrhage. I don't think she's telling me everything, what do you think?"

I was saved by two things happening, Tom came in and the veg began to boil over. Perhaps the veg had seen our kiss!

"Hi Tom, how is my sister?"

"She's fine, they're going to do a scan tomorrow and assuming the consultant says so, she can come home. I said I'd go and get her." He caught sight of my surprise, I'd thought I was going to get her.

"You're forgiven for taking her in."

Oh wow, big bloody deal, I didn't care if she forgave me or not, I'd do it again if were necessary. "Yeah, thanks."

"Hey kiddo, that smells good. I knew I did the right thing by getting you to stay here and cook. I'll get us some wine to drink with it."

Simon and he had finished the half a bottle I'd left from the dinner. I went off to lay the table, Simon dashed up for a quick shower. It was quick, he was back down in about twelve minutes, dressed in a shirt and trousers and looking a little 'poached'.

Not long after I dished up, the pork was delicious, fell off the bone of the spare rib chops. As we sat down to eat, Tom proposed a toast to the cook.

I countered, with one to absent friends. We all drank to that.

If Tom was going to collect Stella, I could do some last minute shopping and start to plan what we needed for food for the coming holiday. It was likely that it would be going mad everywhere as the feeding frenzy of the spendfest grew closer. I'm sure people think that the whole world is coming to visit and look to feed them. The wastage must be enormous.

It was friday tomorrow and nearly the last shopping days before Christmas. Tom had told me over dinner that he'd organised a whole salmon for Christmas day, could I cook it?

I'd never done a large one but I'm sure it was the same as a small one. I'd certainly have a go. I agreed to buy a bacon joint and Simon said he'd provide the drink. Then we had a whip round for vegetables and desserts. Profiteroles, went through my mind, I'd sort of gone off trifle.

We all drank a glass too much and after I put the dishwasher on, I said I was going to bed. I saw Simon wink at Tom and he came up the stairs behind me.

We kissed at the top, rather sloppily then went to bed after cleaning teeth. Some more kisses and no matter how passionate I felt in theory, I still nodded off a few minutes later. That's alcohol for you, I either get sick or sleepy. I don't think Simon was too pleased.

up
151 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Tom definitely…

…fancies our Stella. Ferrrry interesting. Can I hear more bells?

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Cheap date

Most guys would be thrilled to have a girl who drinks as little as Cathy, but of course Simon isn't. No pleasing men, is there?

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Laughing again

"I'd sort of gone off trifle"

I wonder why...

Wonder Woman Indeed Angharad!!

Wonder Woman is an American Super Heroine. But maybe Cathy can be dubbed Lady Britain instead. She does have the red boots, all that she needs is a set of cycling skins.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Lucky I've got...

... as good a cook in this house as Tom's managed to get into his - how so ever temporarily.

Fun story. Still looking forward to Cathy & Stella's reunion.

CAthy is thinking there is

CAthy is thinking there is more about Tom and Stella than she believes, however, isn't Tom a "tad old" for Stella? I've heard of May-Dec romances, if this is where it is heading, but Tom and Stella would make it way more than that. I just see him as a very good friend of them all and an additional doting Father figure. J-Lynn

Cathy's effect on kitchen utensils

Veg boiling over after seeing her and Simon kiss?

Turning on kettles?

Now I know why the spout points upwards.

Never mind Wonder Woman, Cathy should be Miracle Woman...

I see a Pulitzer prize a-coming for this writer or at least a gold star and ascension to the top of the class!

Is that enough of an ego boost?

NB

Need the golden lariot, makes people tell the truth

Fan of tall women in tights and boots, sorry.
What's going on ? Tom and Stella? Simon and wine?
Two more shopping days 'til Christmas.
Is Jack Frost nipping at their noses?

Cefin