Gene's Story or How I Gained a Cousin Chapter 44

Printer-friendly version

div align="center">

"Ellen and Jinny.jpg
Gene's Story
or How I Gained a Cousin
<

A novel by Karen Lockhart


Copyright 2016
 



It's funny how things happen to change your life and the way you look at things



CHAPTER 44

Before we left, I made sure Ginny wore normal jeans and low boots with a small heel. I had an ulterior motive, since I was hoping to get Ginny aboard one of Cathy's lesson horses and lead her around the ring. My co-conspirator was Kevin, of course.

Right on time Tina knocked on the door, with Dunkin Donuts coffee and muffins. We all went out to the Explorer and I started it, waiting for Tina to hand out the coffees and muffins before I drove off. How I'd eat that muffin and drive I didn't know, but I'd try. We were more likely be a traffic fatality statistic, but I was starved!

The three of us gabbed all the way to Newbury. I found a way to drive and eat my muffin; no news at eleven for us this time.

Soon it would be the time of year where the show horses themselves were given time off, just like human athletes. They'd only be worked enough to stay in shape, nothing requiring perfection though.

Tina went to get her horse brushed and tacked up while I took care of Freddy.

Soon we were ready and led our horses into the arena. Along with Chris Brady, we started to slowly trot along the wall clockwise.

Cathy soon set us to work as if a show was next week. After trotting and cantering to her satisfaction, she had us line up in the center for individual workouts.

All this time, Ginny and Chris's father were chatting in the tack room while watching us
go through our paces.

As soon as the lesson was finished, I hooked Freddy up on crossties in his stall, while Cathy tacked up an older school horse for Ginny to ride.

Tina was nice enough to finish untacking Freddy for me while I helped Ginny up on Riley.

After getting on usuing the mounting block, Ginny sat still while Cathy and I adjusted the stirrups for her. I leaned in real close, “You may have pain from your tuck, just say “Ellen” and we'll stop, okay?”

I could tell from the way her face went white, she hadn't thought of this before agreeing to try riding.

With me holding the lead rope, I started her at a walk around the arena. So far, so good. After seeing Ginny had her balance, I speeded it up to a trot for one half of the ring. Any more than that, and I'd have to find a teen in shape.

We walked some more, than trotted again. Ginny took to this like a duck to water, so Cathy hooked up a longe line, and had her trot a circle.
Well actually Riley trotted in a circle, Ginny was only on his back, along for the ride.

None the less, Ginny did a great job. The gleam in her eye told me everything, another person bitten by the horse bug. How does that song go? “Another one bites the dust.”

We hung around for Kevin's lesson, again amazed at the ease that he and 'Doc' went around the ring, changing from one gait to another seamlessly, as if the horse was doing it on verbal command by Cathy.

After he was finished, I asked Kevin just that question.

He laughed and replied, “You found us out, that's our secret. He responds to Cathy's voice and mine, and will walk, trot, and stop on verbal command. I just need to make sure he doesn't get going too fast.

“Last year, in August, Chris and I had another customer show him. We spread out around the ring in case of trouble. We told her to say the gait loudly, and she'd be okay. Well, she froze a bit, and was trotting when they should have be walking. I said in a big voice, “Doc, walk”. Boom, down to the walk. Everyone heard me even though I ducked behind the rail. After the class, the judge gave me a wink and said 'Nice timing' and walked off. Oh yeah, Susan got third out of nine.”

We made plans for the four of us to go for dinner and have a couple of drinks later on. The three of us would decide where, and let Kevin know, so he could meet us there.

The subject of discussion on the ride home was our newest equestrian. Ginny didn't stop for a breath, she was so excited. It was really nice to see. It's like measles, very contagious. That's what happened to me years ago. Never ask a horseman about their horse unless you aren't doing anything for an hour.

We arrived home, and all went inside for lunch. Over soup and sandwiches we chose where to go that night. It was unanimous, we'd go to the 'Tides' in Nahant and stay there for drinks at the bar. Hopefully, a Bruins or Celtics game would be on TV.

Tina went home to shower and change. Ginny and I did the same thing. We also decided to remove her breasts that night to give her skin a chance to breath; that way they could be glued back on for Monday.

After showering, I gave Kevin a phone call telling him to meet us at the 'Tides' at 7:30pm,and that we were planning to stay there after dinner for drinks.

Kevin was very happy with this choice. He loves their Fisherman's Platter. Between Ginny and myself, we couldn't finish one, but he could.

I gave Ginny a look, meaning 'no Kevin tonight', but she was free to visit him. Remembering the great ungluing scheduled for that night, she whispered “not tonight.”

We had a great time watching a Celtics basketball game after dinner. Oh, they lost to the Los Angeles Lakers 103 to 97, but we still enjoyed ourselves a lot.

After the game, we headed in our separate directions to go to bed. Ginny and I decided to stay up late watching an old movie on the big TV in the living room. 'Casablanca', ever hear of it? One of my favorites of all time. There are great lines in this movie. My favorite is at the end where Rick and Captain Renault walk off into the fog, Bogie says, “Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.” This as Ingrid Bergman's plane takes off for Portugal.

At a commercial break, I had Ginny lay back on her bed while I swabbed glue solvent on her chest to remove her artificial breasts. She rubbed lotion on the reddened skin where they were glued. I must say, it looked funny to see her flat-chested. “How do you feel?” I asked.

“Really strange, with just a couple of pounds removed, my balance feels wrong. And it's like I lost who I am. Does that make sense?”

I symphisized with her, knowing how breasts identify a woman more than anything else. I understand now the trauma felt by those women that have mastectomies. It must be heart-breaking. After the movie Ginny and I headed for bed, figuring to sleep late on Sunday.

We woke at 8am, late for us. Over coffee, I asked her if riding might be something she would like to continue. Her response was a resounding affirmative.

“Okay then, you will need riding boots and the proper type of pants. You should like this, the pants are made to fit tight. That will show off your curves nicely kiddo.”

“Where would we go for those, I mean the boots and pants?” Ginny asked. “I have no clue about this.”

Her intensity had me smiling. There was a couple of places we could go, but I recommend inexpensive boots to start. However the jodphers needed to be good ones, so they were comfortable.

“If you stop riding, you can wear them to attract men at the mall.”

With that, she hit me. “At the mall? What am I a hooker? A fine friend you are.”

“The best place for boots is in Andover on route 114. When you're ready we can leave. We'll buy Jodphers there also. You have to have jods on to try boots to make sure they fit your calves properly.”

“Wow, this isn't simple is it?” she asked. “Expensive too.”

“You can look like a pleasure rider, or you can look professional, it's your choice. Besides think how you'll look with tall black boots carrying a whip. There's a lot of online sites for that,” I kidded.

That got me another dirty look from her, “For that, you drive.”

I laughed all the way to her Honda CRV


To be continued

Many thanks to Bronwen Welsh for her help in correcting typos and punctuation errors

up
193 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Bitten by the horse bug?!?!

Bitten by the horse bug?!?! Is it contagious? Is there a cure? Should she worry? :D

I could have sworn that driving while drinking your Dunkin Donuts coffee and eating a donut/bagel/muffin/fritter/coffee roll is one of the requirements for earning a driver's license in Massachusetts ;)

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

I always thought so ! But I

I always thought so ! But I draw the line at reading the paper.

Elin your wicked lol

Renee_Heart2's picture

Poor Genny can't catch a break can she ? On a lighter note Genny starting to ride is a good thing for both Elin and Genny as well as Tina and let's not forget about Kevin and his trick with Doc.

Love Samantha Renee Heart