Reversals - Ch08

Printer-friendly version

CHAPTER EIGHT
Samantha's Surprise

Julia sat alone in Samantha's office. It had been almost twenty minutes since she had left to fetch another document they needed to finalize Julia's promotion. Impatience was settling in.

Oddly enough, Julia had never been in Samantha's office before, she never mentioned she even had one. Thinking on it, Julia realized that Samantha had always sought her out. She'd come to Julia's cube or invite her out to lunch somewhere. Sam had really put in the effort to be a good friend.

It was an interesting room as she looked around, not really what she expected. If a room was supposed to reflect the personality of its occupant, this one seemed to lack the vitality and flash of the Samantha she knew. The office was well organized, spartan, lacking the typical clutter of most offices or cubicles. What was really odd though was the lack of personal touches that one normally expected to see. There were no photos displayed, no plaques citing accomplishments, no doodads that reflected on the occupant or that offered the occasional distraction during the day. It was far easier to believe that it was some loaner office for visiting executives. There was one notable exception - a portrait that hung behind Samantha's desk.

Protected by a sleek, modern, metallic frame, it looked to be an oil painting of a warrior woman, or was it something else? Contrasting themes seemed to be at play blending warrior and woman together into something that was both familiar and yet surreal and distant. It was a fusion of a beautiful woman wearing a scratched and scarred medieval helmet which oddly came down over her eyes to rest at the bridge of her nose, blinding her. Below the cold iron helmet, her plump lips were colored a deep, rich red and, instead of armor, she wore a cream colored dress with floral embroidery. There was a haunting, somber quality to the painting which fused feminine beauty and the harsher realities of conflict and war into a single, evocative image. Beauty and conflict. Both were part of the Samantha she knew.

Getting restless for some attention, Julia peered through the glass partition into the monochrome hallways and common spaces outside the office looking for Samantha. There was a continual buzz of activity as people moved about the hallways or toiled away at their desks. It was good to see the company busy and productive and to know she was an important part of making it successful.

Still looking for Samantha, a man passed by in the hallway and offered her an awkward wave and stiff smile as he moved by. If she recalled, he had been in another sales division, competing with her for sales. He almost certainly worked for her now, likely a couple of levels below her on the organizational chart. Maybe she'd arrange a lunch sometime for her subordinates and invite him to see if he'd properly fall in line behind her so Samantha could add him to the tally in the "who's the boss" game. Power had its privileges after all.

In time, she finally spotted Samantha coming down the hallway with a portfolio in hand. Her skirt was swishing about her legs as she hurried forward on strappy, peep toe, stilettos, walking in them as easily as most women did in flats. She smiled warmly at Julia as she approached, mouthing the words "last one" as she got close.

"I am so sorry to keep you waiting," Samantha said as she entered the office. "Legal pushed out a last minute change to the corporate non-disclosure agreement you need to sign and I had a problem getting my hands on it."

"It's not a problem," Julia said. "You can make it up to me though," she added playfully with a grin.

Samantha sat down behind her desk with a bemused expression. "Okay," Samantha responded coyly, unsure of what to expect.

"The painting?" Julia asked, gesturing towards it with her eyes. "It's a striking image. Beautiful in a way but sad too. Any idea why the helmut is over her eyes?"

Samantha shrugged. "Well, I can't say what the artist was thinking for sure, never talked to her."

"A woman did paint it then?" Julia asked.

"Of course. I found that much out at the gallery," Samantha said admiring her painting, entranced by it. "I can tell you what I see," she said with a touch of reverence in her voice.

"Please do," Julia encouraged sincerily.

Samantha was genuinely moved by the painting as she regarded it. "When I look at it, and I mean really look at it, I see both a warrior and a womyn. They're one in the same. It reminds me of the never ending struggle womyn have had since the very beginning," she said ruefully. "Forever battling for equality and respect, for dignity. Even for love." Samantha shrugged.

"I think the helmet says she's been in wars. I guess it seems a little odd, maybe, being over her eyes - she's blinded by her own helmet. But, I think it defines her too. It's a part of her war. She's been blinded, forced to paint her lips and forced into some pretty little dress, things to make her more pleasing and less threatening to men, but she's still a warrior. She's still fighting, even if she didn't fully see it or realize it." Samantha took a deep breath and turned to face Julia. "Maybe that's a lot to see into it, into her, but you asked." Samantha touched the frame, almost lovingly, then locked eyes with Julia. "I find her very empowering at times. She reminds me to go for the things I want, to fight for them, even when something is trying to blind me or tell me what to do - men, polite society, whatever."

Julia smiled at her and nodded reassuringly. Had they been someplace, other than the office, she might have offered Samantha a hug.

Samantha returned the smile. "Just my take on it. Hope that helps."

"Yes. It does. That's beautiful in a way. Thank you."

"Anytime," Samantha said gracefully.

Both women locked smiles with each other, enjoying the moment together.

"Anyway, back to work," Samantha said. "I have the last document for you to sign." Samantha retrieved several pages from her portfolio and presented them to Julia.

Julia grabbed the document and stared to skim through it. "Any problems with it?" she asked. "Anything for me to be concerned about?"

"No," Samantha said. "They added a section on directing any questions you might get about staffing and workforce composition to human resources at corporate. Overall, standard corporate stuff, don't say anything to anybody that's not supposed to hear it. If you leave the company the same rules apply. You'll want to review it but it's nothing to be concerned about."

"I'll take your word for it," Julia said as she flipped to the last page and signed the document, "I trust you."

Samantha smiled and added the document to the stack Julia had signed earlier. "And, with the last document signed, that's it," she said cheerily. "Let me be the first one to formally congratulate you on your new position," she said extending her hand with glee.

Julia smiled in return as they shook hands to mark the occasion, only to have Samantha's grip tighten for the briefest moment as Julia tried to release afterwards, their eyes then locking for only an instant as her hand was finally surrendered.

"Thank you," Julia said as the slightly awkward moment passed.

"My pleasure," Samantha responded.

Julia nodded with a smile. "Did you want to get some coffee then? Catch up? We have some time, right?" she asked.

Samantha twisted her lips into a playful looking smirk. "We still have over an hour left in the meeting," she said. "But, I scheduled in extra time for a bit of a surprise."

"A surprise?" Julia asked astonished.

Samantha nodded, a big grin betraying her excitement. "I'm hoping you're not going to be upset though," she said puckering her lips playfully.

"About what?" Julia asked with a cautious but genuine curiosity.

"Well, given all our conversations about Eric and about AGen...," she teased out, "I was able to arrange... an initial consultation."

Julia went wide eyed, her mouth dropped open in shock as she sat back in the chair dumbfounded.

"After dinner the other night," Samantha began to explain, "I thought you said you were really curious about AGen. So, I decided to see what else I could find out for you and I eventually got a website address."

Julia sat there in silence, still stunned, trying to absorb the enormity of what Samantha had done.

"I decided to contact them through their website," Samantha said. "Really, I was just trying to get more information from them, to give to you. A day later, they called me. They asked me a few questions and wanted to know more. I didn't give them too many details. They were the ones that actually suggested the consultation. They wanted to talk to you directly."

Julia shifted forward and did her best to regain her composure. "I'm not sure what to say, Sam," she said slowly, like she was in a daze.

"You are still interested, right?" Samantha asked hesitantly.

Julia pursed her lips. "Honestly? I've thought about it. Maybe more than I should have," Julia admitted. "But, really, truly, doing it to him?!" Julia felt flush. "Put boobs on Eric?!" she whispered across the desk. "It seems crazy to even talk about it. It would change everything."

Samantha nodded in agreement, smiling at her beautiful friend. If she could help convince Julia to move forward with putting boobs on hapless Eric it had to undermine any hold he might have on her as a man, as her husband. She'd never be able to look at him in quite the same way ever again.

"It would solve all my problems at home," Julia mused, as her brow furrowed.

"And, it would be the fair thing to do," Samantha reminded her. "You're the one working, bringing in all the money, supporting both of you. It's only fair that he pulls his weight for the family. He should be taking care of everything at home and that includes caring for your children," she said earnestly. "He can adapt to being Mr. Mom. Why not? If that includes wearing a nursing bra someday so what? What's the big deal? Womyn do it. Why can't a man? I think it's only fair."

Julia nodded slowly. "Yes, we did talk about that," Julia said soberly. "And, I guess, it does make some sense." There was still some conflict playing out in her heart. She had taken charge of their marriage, that needed to happen. Eric had utterly failed as a husband, she reminded herself. Under her direction, he'd do better. If that meant being a househusband, filling the old, traditional wife role, so be it. But did that really mean he should have breasts too? Was Samantha right? Was it simple fairness and equality?

"We have maybe fifteen minutes before they call," Samantha said. "Maybe grab some coffee first? I have a conference room reserved so we can talk in comfort. It's a video chat. They're going to call us, on my tablet."

Julia agreed.

"One thing though," Samantha cautioned, "these are very serious minded womyn. They might say some things that make you a little... uncomfortable. Don't let it bother you too much. Okay? Try thinking of it more like a sales call. No matter what they say to you, don't admonish them. Don't challenge their beliefs either for that matter. They may have a really different way of looking at the world but it just doesn't matter. They have something we want. Don't worry about anything other than that."

"But-"

Samantha shook her head vigorously. "No buts. Just play along with them. Be nice. They want to help you. Let them. Be agreeable. Tell them what they want to hear and don't worry about the rest of it," she said definitively.

Julia felt a slight shiver travel up her spine. She wondered, what she was getting herself into but quickly decided to trust Samantha's direction on it, for now at least. It was just an initial consultation after all.

"Come on, let's grab that coffee," Samantha urged.

Samantha and Julia sat down in a small conference room with Samantha's tablet a few minutes later. It was another sterile space intended for corporate meetings, dull but private, with six office chairs tossed around a wood veneer table.

The women sat, side-by-side, on one of the long sides of the table, sipping their coffee, as they waited for the call.

Julia nervously glanced at the tablet and began to idly trace a couple of her long nails against the surface of the table as she waited for the conference to start. She grew more tense as the minutes passed away, each one bringing her closer to a discussion about feminizing her husband.

If he knew what she was doing, would he finally stand up for himself? Would she be able to force him if he refused? Did she truly want to do this? A dozen questions kept running through her mind. She didn't have answers for any of them. Julia checked the time again. Only a minute left.

She fanned her fingers out, then slowly clawed at the table, making a game of it to distract herself from the gnawing uncertainty she felt, pressing hard enough to feel the pressure at her fingers but not so hard as to break a nail.

Julia turned her hand over to admire her manicured extensions. Eric would need to learn how to maintain her nails, she decided, from the strengthening base coat, to the colorful lacquer, to the protective top coat. It was another service he could-

The tablet suddenly began playing a short symphony of repeating tones, alerting them to an incoming call. Julia just stared at the tablet, frozen.

Samantha grimaced at her nervous friend from the side, quietly disappointed at her lack of enthusiasm. Thankfully, Samantha had enough for both of them. Julia just needed a little more prodding before the idea of undermining and completely dominating Eric felt more normal and natural to her. Samantha's lips curled into a smile as she tapped on the video chat button to start the conference.

Moments later an older woman came into view, perhaps in her seventies, maybe older, sitting in what looked like a video conference room. The woman had a severe look to her, wire rimmed glasses sat upon a gaunt face, her white hair tied into a tight bun, held in place by black bobby-pins. The white lab coat she wore seemed to be embossed with the same logo depicted on the beige wall behind her - a thick trunked, gnarled tree, filled with leaves.

"Which of you is Julia Grant?" the woman asked curtly, reading from something at the table she sat at.

"That would be me," Julia said. She had stopped using Eric's last name entirely, it seemed completely improper to subordinate her identity to his. In fact, given that the marriage was female lead now, she was considering making him take her last name soon.

The woman was staring at them, silently sizing them up. It felt uncommonly penetrating, like she was examining specimens under a microscope, studying them. If it wasn't for the occasional shifting of her eyes they would have thought the video conference had frozen with some technical failure. Julia just sat there, nearly motionless, waiting for her to finish, hoping she'd pass inspection. Samantha did much the same.

"I'm Dr. Joyce," the woman finally said flatly, looking away from the camera, examining something on the desktop in front of her they couldn't see.

After all the staring and waiting, Julia had hoped for something more welcoming, something to calm and reassure her. That wasn't to be.

"Pleased to meet you," Julia said, trying to act cheery, hoping Dr. Joyce couldn't read her mood.

"Same here," Samantha chimed in, "we're really very pleased to be able to meet with you today. It's very much appreciated. We can only imagine how busy you are with the important work you're doing."

Dr. Joyce looked forward into the camera, seemingly unaffected by Samantha's eager greeting, her somber expression casting a stifling mood over the consultation. "I'm assuming you'd be Samantha Stone. Is that correct?" she asked with a detached manner.

"Yes. That would be me. I'm the one that made the initial inquiry," Samantha said, still trying to be upbeat. "Again, we wanted to thank you for making time in your schedule for us today."

Dr. Joyce arched an eyebrow on her otherwise impassive face. "Responding with a simple 'yes' was sufficient to satisfy the inquiry, Ms. Stone."

Samantha simply nodded, accepting the rebuke. Despite the obvious disdain from Dr. Joyce, Samantha had no intention of ruining the meeting for Julia.

"If either of you have any recording devices employed you will need to terminate them at this time. Consultations can not be recorded. We don't allow notes to be taken either," Dr. Joyce said firmly.

"Nothing being recorded. No notes," Samantha quickly said, wanting to be terse for the scornful doctor. "We're fine with the restrictions," she added.

Julia nodded, agreeing with Samantha, doing her best to be compliant and accepting with this seemingly clandestine group.

"Very well," Dr. Joyce said. "Now, with the pleasantries dealt with, why are you here, Ms. Grant?"

Julia arched her eyebrows in surprise and glanced towards Samantha who also seemed confused at the question. "I'm sorry, I thought this was already brought up when Samantha contacted you," Julia said as Samantha nodded, indicating that it had been.

"Yes," Dr. Joyce started. "Ms. Stone did provide sufficient details on her initial contact to us. But that's not what I asked. I want to know why you are here, Ms. Grant. I want you to tell me what you want from us, in your words.

Dr. Joyce was staring at her, waiting, watching with those piercing, unrelenting, eyes of hers. Samantha was staring too, expectantly waiting for her to say the words, waiting for her to ask them to feminize her husband.

Julia's mind began to spin. She was unprepared for a confrontation, especially with Dr. Joyce. She had wanted a simple sales pitch, a list of services from a hopeful provider, something she could casually make a decision about. That's not what this was. It was something colder, harsher. She felt like she was being tested, evaluated. She swallowed hard. Was this something she truly wanted, Eric with breasts? The question continued to churn inside her.

"Ms. Grant, I need an answer. Otherwise there's no reason to continue here," Dr. Joyce said.

Samantha urged her on, her eyes wide and intense. "Go ahead," she whispered.

"I... I want to... I want the AGen program. For my husband, Eric, to have breasts... to breastfeed our baby someday," Julia stated. She'd gotten it out, really said it. Her heart was pounding from doing it. Would this woman do it to him now? She studied the gaunt, harsh, impassive lines of Dr. Joyce with apprehension.

"You don't sound particularly certain, Ms. Grant," Dr. Joyce observed.

"I can be," Julia said, not really meaning it, questions still churning inside her.

"Ms. Grant, you must be completely committed to the program in order for your male to be considered. This is not something trivial. Your male will be altered at the genetic level, changed forever, fundamentally different than before," Dr. Joyce said.

"I understand," Julia said.

"Do you? I wonder," Dr. Joyce said eyeing her suspiciously. "In addition to mammary glands, there are also possible side effects you may want to consider. AGen can occasionally result in some general feminizing characteristics being imparted to the subject. We consider it a crossover effect that's correlated to nanite infusion and, since you will be involved with administering the infusions, you'd be the causative agent, Ms. Grant. You'd be responsible."

Julia was silent.

"Finally, like any procedure of this nature, there are risks. We consider these risks to be very low, more of a statistical anomaly; however, it must be accepted as a possible outcome of the program. So, Ms. Grant, I hope you can understand why anything less than total, unwavering commitment is simply unacceptable," Dr. Joyce asserted, the fixed glare of her eyes burning into her like the sun on a hot, cloudless day.

Julia remained silent, maintaining her composure in the face of the withering barrage from Dr. Joyce. The vile woman was trying to scare her. It was working but she didn't want her to win that easily. No, losing a negotiation wasn't how she'd gotten promoted, she reminded herself.

"Ms. Grant, a simple, meandering statement is wholly insufficient to gain access to the AGen program and the technology we have to offer. Therefore, I'll ask you again." Dr. Joyce paused, her steely eyes peering contemptuously into the camera. "Why are you here, Ms. Grant?"

Julia took a deep breath, determined to win against Dr. Joyce. As to what would actually happen to Eric, she could decide later. She wanted the AGen option for him, even if it did sound terrifying and ruinous to his masculinity.

"I apologize for sounding hesitant before," Julia began, suppressing the tremor trying to creep into her voice, "you caught me off guard, is all. I am ready to fully commit to the program, regardless what issues might come up," she said. "My husband, my male, is submissive and weak. Once I realized what he was, I took control of the marriage. I have plans for the future, plans for him to care for our babies when they come, just like a... like a womyn can. He needs breasts for that. It's really that simple. I want him to properly nurture and nourish my babies when they come."

Dr. Joyce was nodding ever so slightly as she eased back into her chair. "You understand, he'll never quite be the same," she said, making it sound like a challenge. "Not only the physical changes, mind you, but breasts on a male typically produce mental changes as well. He may experience great levels of shame resulting in anxiety and depression, as an example. He may also become even more submissive and withdrawn. He may blame you. Resent you. The spectrum of behavioral changes can be highly varied depending on the subject," she explained.

Julia decided to keep playing along. No matter what, Dr. Joyce wasn't going to scare her off. The consultation was a game, she reminded herself.

"I'm perfectly fine with whatever changes come my way. Eric will have to behave or I'll toss him to the curb," she said.

Dr. Joyce nodded again, apparently satisfied. "The male's name was Eric did you say?"

"Yes. That's correct."

"Is he transgendered, gender dysphoric, or perhaps a transvestite?"

"No, nothing like that," Julia responded. "He doesn't want breasts if that's what your asking." Julia couldn't help but let some bitterness slip into her voice. She was getting more angry at this wretched woman by the minute.

"Do you have sufficient control over your male to require and ensure compliance to the AGen program?" Dr. Joyce asked with a subtle smirk twisting over her face.

Julia dug her long nails into her palms and forced a smile onto her face as Samantha gently touched her forearm in a show of support, hoping to calm her. "He's completely dependent on me and he's becoming increasingly submissive to me every day," Julia said taking a deep breath and letting it out, hoping to compose herself. "I'll admit that I'm a little new at being a dominant over my husband but I took complete control of our marriage and him and I have no intention of letting go, none at all."

Dr. Joyce arched her eyebrows in response, her smirk deepening. She appeared unimpressed.

"He'll do whatever the hell I tell him to," Julia spat out.

The corners of Dr. Joyce's mouth ticked upwards into something resembling a smile. "I certainly hope so," she said. "The world is changing, Ms. Grant. Feminizing your male, forcing him to comply with all the AGen protocols can be a significant step forward for you. Womyn are going to need to be strong if men are to be put in their proper place. We can't allow our sympathy to cloud our judgements or commitments to womonkind. Don't you agree?"

"Yes," Julia replied quickly to be agreeable, not really knowing what she believed for certain. Samantha was nodding her assent too and then grinning, agreeing with Dr. Joyce wholeheartedly.

Looking at the smiling women around her, Julia suddenly felt out of place, even a tiny bit frightened. What was happening to her? It was like she'd unexpectedly become a member of a sisterhood intent on female supremacy. Feminizing Eric, and her participation in it, were just milestones on a much larger agenda. There was something tantalizing about it but did she truly belong here?

Dr. Joyce looked down to the table in front of her, at something out of view. Her eyes narrowed as she studied it. "You seem to have garnered sufficient support for us to move forward, Ms. Grant." Dr. Joyce looked back towards the camera, her impassive mask back in place. "We normally select womyn who are further along, who better understand the true nature of the world," Dr. Joyce said. "But, apparently, you are thought to hold some promise."

Julia smiled awkwardly. "Thank you," she offered, unsure of what to say to the scornful Dr. Joyce nor to whoever else was, almost certainly, watching her.

Dr. Joyce sat there, silent, practically sneering at Julia. Then, she backed away from the table, stood, and walked off camera without saying another word. Their camera remained on, displaying an empty room.

"Is it over? Are they agreeing to do it?" Julia whispered to Samantha.

Samantha shrugged.

A few moments later, another woman came into view at the edge of the screen. She seemed to be talking to voices off camera, in the background. It was too faint to make out anything being said. It continued like that for a bit longer before the woman finally moved in front of the camera and settled down in the chair.

She was a complete departure from the cold and steely Dr. Joyce. She was a young, attractive woman with short, blond hair and deep blue eyes. Her smile was genuine and warm. She wore a simple, rose-pastel colored, uniform which enhanced her comforting appeal.

"Good afternoon ladies," she said warmly, smiling towards them. "My name is Pamala. Let me be the first to congratulate you - your application has been accepted," she said, beaming her smile at them.

"It has?" Julia asked, surprised at how quickly things were proceeding.

"Yes, it has. In fact, I'm here to help you get started. I've been assigned as your nurse practitioner and case manager. I'll be your primary point of contact with us going forward," she said. "And before you ask, there are no fees or payments involved. AGen is part of a much larger research and development effort. Instead of paying us you'll be expected to simply follow the protocols, make time for the exams, and participate in some behavioral questionnaires. The goal is to make it as easy as possible for you. Ready to start?"

Julia gave a nodded and returned an awkward smile, wholly surprised at the sudden turn of events.

"Good. We always begin by providing a brief overview of the technology. We've found that it's important for applicants to have an understanding of how AGen works, what it does, and what you can expect," Pamala said. "You're free to ask questions during the presentation, we encourage it in fact. And, at the end, we'll talk about next steps for moving forward, so we can begin treatment of your male."

Julia nodded awkwardly again, still trying to return a genuine smile back to Pamala. She was feeling uneasy at how quickly everything was moving, like she was being pushed forward. Samantha, on the other hand, was brimming with a wide grin, seemingly content with the turn of events.

"Let me start by reading some general overview statements we've prepared for womyn new to the program." Pamala grabbed a computer tablet from the desk and began reading the prepared material.

"Andromammary Genesis, or AGen, is a set of integrated technologies which are coordinated for the purpose of rapidly provisioning, fully functional, mammary glands on the human male. AGen is a cutting edge, human enhancement technology which modifies the DNA of the male subject making mammary gland development wholly normative for their altered genotype. AGen is not related to gynecomastia which is considered a disorder in males. Instead, AGen makes the development of mammary glands a completely normal and expected secondary sexual characteristic for males." Pamala stopped reading and looked up towards the camera. "Any questions so far?"

Samantha raised her hand "Can I ask one?"

"Certainly."

"So, if I'm hearing this right, once the DNA change is made, having boobs is just as normal for a man as a womon?"

"That's correct," Pamala said with a cheery tone.

"But I thought you needed estrogen for that. How does that work?"

"From a biochemical point of view an andromammary gland requires less estrogen than those of a womon for development to take place," Pamala explained. "However, we do typically find it necessary to slightly elevate the estrogen levels of the subject and often lower their testosterone level just a bit as well. For many subjects the hormonal changes are fairly minor but it is possible to see some generalized feminizing effects when higher levels of estrogen are needed. The reduction in thick hair growth over the body or a slight reduction in muscle mass would be examples."

"That's very interesting. Thank you," Samantha said.

"Wait. Reduction in muscle mass?" Julia asked.

"It's usually a very slight reduction with standard AGen, less than ten percent when it occurs. I believe the worse case was early in the trials when standard AGen protocol produced something more consistent with female norms," Pamala responded. "Any more questions?" she asked with a smile.

Julia just shook her head. The more she heard, the more concerned she was becoming. These women really were ready to put breasts on Eric and if he ended up looking more like a woman than a man at the end of it she was certain they wouldn't care in the least.

Pamala continued, "DNA modification is augmented with nanotechnology which supports and rapidly matures the new DNA potential in the subject. Instead of waiting years for natural organic maturation, nanotechnology accelerates development by a factor of fifteen or more resulting in fully mature mammary glands, with fully mature ductal systems capable of lactation induction, in an interval of twelve to sixteen weeks standard." Pamala stopped reading off the tablet and looked into the camera again. "Questions?" she asked.

Julia shrugged. "I guess the obvious question, how big? How big do they get on him?"

Pamala smiled. "Excellent question. Everybody asks that one," she said with a humorous smile. "It depends on what you want. With AGen, for the most part, you get to decide."

"I do?" Julia asked, somewhat shocked at the answer.

"Let me explain," Pamala offered. "There's two parts that determine size. First, there's the genetic potential. That essentially determines how large they can possibly get. Secondly, there's the actual development or growth phase. That's where the nanites, the molecular sized robots, do their work to satisfy the potential that's there. Make sense so far?" she asked.

"I think so," Julia said.

"Now, let's make it simple and look at how they work together," Pamala said. "If you have a large potential and a large growth phase the subject will develop rather large breasts. That should be obvious enough. However, if either the potential is small or the growth phase is small then the subject will develop rather small breasts."

"Let me see if I understand," Samantha said. "Let's say Eric's sister and mom are small. Then, no matter how hard the nanites work, he'd be small too?" she asked.

"You have the basic idea, yes," Pamala said. "If the subject's genetic potential is to be small then you can't make them large, it isn't an option."

"How large is Eric's sister?" Samantha asked Julia.

"Average, I guess. Maybe a B-cup?" she replied.

"Then Eric could be like a B-cup," Samantha concluded.

"We'd need more family history first before we can say that with certainty," Pamala said. "But that only applies if you leave his genetic potential unaltered."

"What? You can change it?" Julia asked.

Pamala nodded with a big smile on her face. "You can leave the genetic potential of the subject unaltered. In that case, breast development will be consistent with family history," Pamala said. "Some womyn prefer that because their male can develop as if they'd been born a female. Alternatively, the subject's potential can be altered, over written for whatever size you want."

"Really?!" Julia asked astonished.

"Absolutely," Pamala nodded. "Actually, the majority of our clients do just that, change their male's potential to something larger, often much larger. Then, during the growth phase, they can decide exactly how large they want him to be. Some womyn even use the development as a form of discipline, subjecting their male to more breast growth when they misbehave."

"Seriously?!" Julia asked, shocked at the notion.

"I recommend it, in fact. Pushing his potential past his genetic norm is a good thing. Often you don't know, for sure, how large you might want him until his breasts start developing," Pamala said. "Besides, it can be fascinating to watch him struggle with the reality that his masculinity is slipping away as his breasts are getting larger and larger. A sinister smile crept onto Pamala's face. "You don't want that to end too soon."
Julia didn't know what to think about Pamala at that point. The pretty blond certainly had another side to her. If Eric only knew what this woman wanted to do to him he'd be terrified.

"How effective is the treatment? What if it fails?" Julia asked.

"So long as you follow the established protocols, that includes a number of clinical visits for exams and you properly use the training vest, the AGen program has a ninety percent probability of success. That's normal breast development and lactation in six months or less, typically much less," Pamala said. "Now, there is a small percentage of males that seem to be able to resist the retrovirus that modifies their DNA, we're working to close that gap. But, if they are resistant then nothing really happens to them at all, they're essentially immune to the treatment."

"A virus?!" Julia asked with concern, the distress deeply etched into her face.

Pamala nodded with a smile. "Yes. That's actually part of our next discussion points," she said calmly. "Let's move on to the logistics of the program. There's really very little to worry about and we'll be here to help you the entire time."

"But, are you talking about making Eric sick?" Julia asked.

"Not exactly," Pamala said. "The retrovirus might give him a fever for a few days but it isn't dangerous. It's not virulent like a flu might be. The thing is, DNA isn't something you can change with a simple pill. It's the building block that defines our very physical existence. You need something that can invade the DNA and, essentially, rewrite it. That's where the retrovirus comes in. It attaches to cells to deliver genetic material into the DNA, altering it. For a male, think of it as gene therapy, something to make their DNA more female - an upgrade."

Julia was astonished at the turn of events. A virus to invade and change Eric's DNA?! Could she really do this to him?

"It sounds fairly scary but you said it isn't dangerous right?" Samantha asked, hoping to calm the obvious distress written across Julia's otherwise beautiful face.

"That's correct," Pamala answered. "Don't think of it like a cold or flu. It's perfectly safe and we will be here to support you if any minor complications come up," she said with a calm and steady voice. "Any more questions on that for now?"

Julia shook her head while struggling to maintain the semblance of a smile, distressed about the direction the consultation had taken.

"Okay, the last thing I wanted to talk about today was what we call the training vest." Pamala tapped something in front of her and the screen switched to an image of what looked like some bizarre, black, thick rubber corset, straight out of the S&M scene, but with white domes instead of bra cups that would fully encase each breast. The image was rotating on the screen to show the entire vest, all the way around.

A few seconds later, Pamala came back into view. "You can think of it a bit like a training bra for AGen males if you wish," Pamala said with a smirk. "The vest is actually the nanite infusion system. It's what drives the growth phase of AGen. With the vest, you can control the intensity of the growth phase at any point. Essentially, it's what you use to decide how much of the subject's DNA potential is realized, or more simply, how large you want his breasts to get. Without the training vest, development would take years, and the subject would never reach their full genetic potential."

Pamala tapped in front of her again and the vest reappeared, rotating on the screen again. Julia inched a little closer for a better look. It really did look like some crazy, high-tech corset that would cover Eric from shoulders to waist in thick, constricting rubber. It looked to fastened in the back and seemed to have some locking mechanism at the collar.

Pamala reappeared suddenly. "After the DNA enhancing injection you'll be issued a training vest and shown how to operate it," Pamala said. "The AGen protocol requires the subject to wear the training vest every night before bed. It does it's work while the subject sleeps and can be removed in the morning."

"Can she keep him in it full time?" Samantha asked with a grin.

Pamala smiled back at the suggestion. "Actually, if you want, it can be left on for a number of days without removal but you will need to remove it to recharge the battery packs every three or four days," Pamala said. "If you wait too long you won't be able to disengage the retention system since it needs power to open the locks. It's constructed with layers of advanced materials to make it very sturdy and tough. You can't cut through it. Once it's on and locked, it's nearly impossible to remove until it's unlocked. If you lose battery power you'll need to contact me to get it removed."

Julia wondered how Eric might react if she insisted he wear the exotic looking training vest. Given that it was basically some high-tech corset for breast development, she imagined he'd lock himself in the bathroom, completely distraught and desperate at the prospect of wearing it.
"That's the basic overview, just enough to familiarize you with the technology and how AGen works. Any more questions on any of it?," Pamala asked.

Neither Julia or Samantha had any. Samantha seemed perfectly content and unconcerned, she was looking off in the distance, contemplating something with a soft smile gracing her lips. She almost looked like she'd just been shopping and was imagining herself at a gala in a new gown she'd just bought.

Julia was in total contrast to her, looking distraught despite her best attempts to conceal it. Now that she understood the reality of it better, it just seemed to be too much, too extreme.

"Okay, if there's no more questions, our next step is to schedule the initial exam," Pamala said. "We're going to need to see Eric as soon as possible. We need to give him a complete physical to make sure AGen is safe for him and we need some genetic material in order to develop the retrovirus for DNA alteration. He also needs a 3D imaging scan to fit him for his training apparatus," Pamala said.

Julia nodded, again forcing a smile onto her face.

"Would you like to setup the appointment now or contact me to coordinate it," Pamala asked.

Julia swallowed and cleared her throat, her mind swirling with uncertainty. "I think I'll need to contact you. I'm not sure exactly what my schedule is at the moment. And I'm not sure about Eric... I-"

"This needs to be scheduled soon, Julia," Pamala said. "We're here to help you. Experience has taught us that delays won't help you get the positive results that AGen can deliver for you. Commitment is the best approach."

"I understand," Julia said.

Pamala turned her head slightly away from the camera, her attention drawn away to something to the side of her, off camera. Julia could hear the indiscernible voices in the background again. Did one of the voices belong to Dr. Joyce?

"A courier will deliver a package to you, at your office, with some more details about the program, including contact information to setup the initial exam. I hope to hear from you soon," Pamala said. She then flashed a tense smile at Julia, betraying some irritation then pushed away from the table and walked away.

Thinking the conference was finally over, Julia was about to drop the connection when she saw Dr. Joyce walking back into view. Hands clasped behind her back, Dr. Joyce leaned over the chair and table like a cobra until her face was directly in front of the camera, filling the screen.

"Ms. Grant?"

Julia just stared at Dr. Joyce, not wanting to acknowledge her, hoping she'd just leave and drop the video conference. She didn't.

"Ms. Grant?"

"Yes?" Julia responded reluctantly.

"Don't disappoint us, Ms. Grant". The connection dropped immediately after the admonition. Julia felt a shiver run up her spine. She was frightened by it. What had she gotten herself into?

With the consultation over, Samantha swiveled her chair towards Julia with questioning eyes, waiting on her to break the silence, hoping that she was ready to move forward with Eric's transformation.

But, Julia seemed to be almost in a state of shock instead, her eyes, opened wider than normal, were still locked on the tablet they'd been using for the conference.

Samantha reached out and gently touched Julia's hand in a show of support and compassion. It seemed to break Julia out of the trance as she jerked slightly from the touch and slowly turned to face her. Samantha smiled ever so gently towards Julia, hoping to settle her and soften the mood.

"So, what do you think?" Samantha asked, almost in a whisper.

Julia took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. "Honestly, Dr. Joyce scares me Sam. And, it's a lot to take in," she said. "I mean, up to now, AGen was just talk. I'm not sure I truly believed it was even possible. Not really. Not until just now," Julia admitted, as a subtle, brooding pout appeared as she considered the harsh reality of the situation. "If I actually did this to Eric it really would irrevocably change things between us. There'd be no going back. Not ever."

"Probably not," Samantha said softly, shrugging. "The bigger question is if he'd do it. Can you talk him into it? Maybe make him do it?" Samantha asked, struggling to keep her excitement at the idea under control. She didn't want to appear to thrilled at the prospect, not yet anyway.

"Maybe," Julia said. She fixated on Samantha's painting, the woman warrior, to draw some resolve as she talked. "If you told me, a week ago, that I'd be considering put breasts on my husband I'd have thought you were crazy or something. Everything has been moving so fast," she said as she stared at the painting. "Ever since I discovered Eric's lies, all those pictures from that game... So much has changed," she said. "Even me," she added under her breath.

Samantha furrowed her brow, unsure of her beautiful friend's feelings and intentions. She seemed to be wavering. "Is that a yes then? You can make him do it?" she asked cautiously.

Julia changed her focus from the painting to Samantha. "You've been so tied up with the restructure we haven't had a chance to talk," Julia said. "I took control, Sam," she said with a hint of pride. "I told Eric that our marriage was going to be female lead from now on."

Samantha's mouth gaped open. "Julia, that's fantastic! I can't tell you how happy that makes me."

Julia nodded with a self satisfying smile but it was quickly replaced by the earlier brooding pout again.

Samantha reached her hand out and lightly touched Julia's forearm. "Everything okay?" she asked concerned.

Julia flashed a quick smile to Samantha then just as quickly returned to her pouty demeanor. "It's just that it's such a permanent thing," Julia said. "Eric with boobs for the rest of his life? Lactating?!" Julia shook her head. "I've been pretty hard on him for the last few days, training him for his new job as our homemaker-"

"Wait a second!," Samantha interrupted. "His new job is being your homemaker!?"

Julia nodded. "I even have him hand washing my panties today," she said.

"Oh, that's just delicious," Samantha said gleefully. "You go girl!"

Julia couldn't help but smile at the praise but she was still feeling too uneasy to really enjoy it.

"If you don't mind me saying, from everything you've told me about Eric, he should feel grateful to scrub your panties," Samantha said. "What you're doing with Eric is wonderful! No question about that," Samantha declared firmly.

"Then why do I feel so... guilty all of a sudden?" Julia asked sullenly.

"Well, anytime we have major changes in our lives we can feel uncertainty or get anxious," Samantha suggested. "Even good changes can be stressful and upset us."

"Maybe, but..." Julia grimaced and shook her head. "I can't help wondering about what I'm doing. I mean, I just had a very serious talk with some type of medical group about putting breasts, female breasts, on my husband!" she blurted out.

Samantha smiled uncomfortably at her distraught friend then got up and gently closed the door of the office before returning to her chair. "Just thought we should have some privacy," she said delicately.

Julia shook her head slowly, troubled. "What am I doing, Sam?" she asked, staring at her for an answer.

Samantha looked at Julia with soft eyes and a calming smile as she reached out and gently grasped her friend's hand. Their fingers looked so beautiful together, the bright color of their nails intertwining like art work. The beauty of two womyn together was awe inspiring, Samantha thought. It was totally clear, to her, that they belonged together. "It's okay, Julia," she said reassuringly.

But everything wasn't okay, Samantha realized. So many months of work on Julia might be on the line, all the groundwork she'd laid, all the articles she'd sent, all the discussions, all the efforts to undermine Julia's marriage with Eric was all at risk. If Julia was distraught enough over AGen she might let up on Eric, maybe even decide to dissolve her FLM.

She leaned in towards Julia. "Trust me when I tell you, everything you've done is fine," Samantha said with sincerity. "And there's nothing wrong with considering AGen either, Honey." Her tone and manner were calm and supportive despite the growing fear that she could lose Julia. It was something that couldn't be allowed to happen, it was simply intolerable.

Samantha sensed a deep connection to Julia, certainly physical, but more than that too. There was chemistry there, Samantha was sure of it. Nothing was going to stop her from having Julia, certainly not some weak male that Julia had mistakenly married. All those years of indoctrination by the patriarchy had left her understandably confused. She needed help and support. Eric, on the other hand, was an obstacle. He needed to be moved out of the way or marginalized to irrelevance. Watching Julia put him under her thumb and then watching her put boobs on him would be something to savor.

Julia was shaking her head, lost in thought, clearly still upset with the meeting with Dr. Joyce and Pamala.

"I understand your concerns," Samantha said. "Those womyn were pretty intense, even to me. But don't let it upset you. I think they're just... very committed. They take it all very seriously."

"They certainly do," Julia said, nodding in agreement.

Samantha regarded Julia closely. She wanted to move cautiously to rebuild her confidence, convince her, womon to womon, that she belonged to the superior sex and that Eric should be grateful to have her lead him, even more grateful if she made him suckle her future daughters. The more men put in their place the better the world would be.

"It's a different age, Julia," Samantha said gently. "We're not bound by the old rules or beliefs anymore. Womyn are finally breaking away from the chains that men have put on us for centuries. We're taking our power back, assuming our natural roles as leaders. It's something to be embraced," she said. "Don't you believe the world would be a better place if womyn were in charge of it all?"

Julia shrugged as she considered it. "I don't know. It's not like all the world's problems would get solved overnight or anything. But, I think maybe it would get better, with the right women. I guess so. Yes," she finally concluded, nodding her head.

"Of course, it would," Samantha said. "Oh, I'm sure there's some genuinely good men out there but they seem so few and far between. All that testosterone... Maybe in ancient times we needed all that aggression and competition but it's archaic now. Too often males can't control it, makes them act like fools or worse. Always competing with each other. Always fighting to be king of the hill. Those men, the not so good ones, and that's most of them, actually need a strong womon leading them. It's good for them. They need us even if they don't want to accept the truth of it. And, from everything you've told me about Eric, I'm sorry to say, he doesn't really sound like one of the good ones."

Julia shook her head subtly. "No," Julia admitted. "At one time, I thought he was a better type of man," Julia said wistfully. "But he really has let me down, like every other man I've ever been with," she added with exasperation, her face tightening with disappointment, frustration and anger.

It was a perfect opportunity to remind Julia of Eric's transgressions, Samantha thought, to reignite her anger and quench whatever sympathies she had towards him. "Don't forget, he's the man that expected you to do all the cooking and cleaning even though he was sitting at home all day," Samantha said. "He expected you to earn all the money and be his maid too!"

Julia grimaced as she remembered back to when Eric had first lost his job, her pretty, red lips contorting from the memories. Samantha had been the one to help her understand that he needed to pitch in with the housework, that it wasn't just 'womyn's work'. Samantha had really helped her challenge the gender role expectations she'd been taught, helped her see how archaic they were.

"And didn't you say Eric had started drinking?" Samantha asked, rubbing more salt in the wound, already knowing the answer.

Julia nodded slowly, the grimace still on her face. "Men and alcohol don't mix well together," Julia said as her frustrations and anger grew. She thought back to some of the monsters she had dated before Eric who would get drunk and turn violent.

Samantha arched her eyebrows at Julia's comment, it made her wonder if there was more history there she wasn't aware of, something else to leverage. "You have to wonder where Eric is headed with all his drinking," Samantha said. "I mean, without you there to guide him, where would he end up?" she asked. "Another drunk looking for answers in the bottom of a bottle? Something worse perhaps?"

Julia shrugged. "Hard to say for sure," Julia intoned, the words sounding hollow and detached as she distanced herself from old wounds.

"True. Alcohol abuse does strange things to people. Sometimes terrible things," Samantha suggested. "When you think about it, he's very fortunate that you took over the marriage. You put an end to his drinking. You can give him a better future," she urged with what sincerity she could muster.

Julia nodded.

"Didn't you say that it was like he'd regressed to childhood after losing his job? That he wanted you to be his mommy?"

Julia nodded.

"He stopped looking for work," Samantha began, "because he got addicted to a computer game and he lied to you about it so you'd keep working to support his habits?"

Julia nodded as she dug her nails into her palm, hoping the pain would distract her from her anger.

"Seems to me you did the only thing you could with starting the FLM, Honey," Samantha said earnestly. "You have a man that lost his identity when he lost his job and regressed, became more like a child. He took advantage of you, lied to you, expected you to support him and care for your home while he sat back playing games and drinking beer all the time." Samantha's indictment was recited with fervor, she wanted to build a sense of righteous indignation in Julia, even zealotry. "Everything you've done is right and proper. With a man like that, you need to be in total control. For that matter, even if he doesn't realize it, even if he resists you, he needs you in control too," she asserted, pointing her finger at Julia to reinforce the point.

Julia sat back in her chair with fury in her eyes. "You're right," she said, lifting her hands and dropping them in resignation. "You're right." The sense of empowerment, that was becoming evermore familiar, began flowing through her again.

Samantha smiled, nodding her head in agreement. "The way I see it, we're entering a new age. Men had their turn to lead and the world is a total mess. It's a time for womyn to lead and a time for men to follow us into a better future. It's our turn. And some men, like Eric, are better suited for taking on the traditional role that womyn were assigned, for centuries, by men. Having him develop breasts to nourish a child only makes sense at that point," she said matter-of-factly. "If he's going to be a homemaker and caretaker for children, for infants, he needs breasts for that. He can't properly suckle a child otherwise."

Julia nodded with genuine interest. As usual, Samantha was opening her mind to new, exciting, possibilities.

"He might find breasts dramatic at first, maybe even distressing," Samantha said. "Since AGen isn't common yet, that's probably a normal reaction. You might be feeling some of that too. But science and technology has made it possible to transcend old, traditional ideas about gender. Those old ideas are archaic now, they no longer apply in the modern world we live in. Besides, they come from a patriarchal mindset intent on keeping womyn barefoot and pregnant. The same mindset which devalues and demeans womyn," Samantha's said with fervor. "It's not valid and it simply must be challenged!"

Julia nodded, taking it in, welcoming the bold statements, her sense of pride at being a strong, independent woman building as Samantha spoke.

"You can make a very powerful and positive statement, Julia. A man developing breasts so he can breastfeed his wife's daughter? It's a tremendously powerful validation for womonkind," she said with enthusiasm. "And, it would be something Eric could take great pride in too. Something that would prove he'd evolved and matured as a person, as a human being. That's not just talking about fairness and equality, it's making it real, in a committed, permanent way for everybody to see. You can make that happen for him. It's a great opportunity for both of you," Samantha said with conviction.

Julia considered it, nodding her head. "Maybe you're right," she said slowly. "I... hadn't really looked at it that way but I think you're right."

"It's understandable. There's a lot to take in and think about," Samantha said. "Someday I think it'll be considered normal, maybe even mainstream. Truly, if I could, I'd put breasts on every man in the world. Maybe make some of them more caring people." Samantha shrugged with indifference. "If nothing else, if men had to struggle with boobs, I bet we'd get more comfortable bras!"

The women shared a laugh as Samantha pinched her bra straps giving them a couple upward tugs while pretending to be in distress. She adjusted the band quickly afterwards, having tugged a bit too hard in her mock display and the women laughed again at the silliness of it all.

Still laughing, Julia imagined what Eric might look like doing the same thing, standing in front of a mirror in an underwire bra, the cups bulging over to contain his breasts as he struggled with the straps and band trying to make himself comfortable. As she thought about it, she realized she really could look at the idea of Eric with breasts in two different ways - the old way that made it wrong because of strict gender roles and stereotypes, or a modern way oriented on needs, equality and fairness. If science could overcome the limitation for men then why not? Why shouldn't he have boobs? Just because she developed breasts in adolescence didn't mean he couldn't now.

Julia was feeling better, stronger, more convinced than ever that she was on the right path with Eric. Samantha's insights had been invaluable, as usual. "I'm going to do it," Julia said firmly. "I'm not sure how yet exactly but I am going to put breasts on Eric. He's going to have them and I'm going to watch him suckle my baby someday." Julia looked determined, holding her head high as she sat upright in the chair, like she was ready to do battle. "I'll tell you something else, I think your also maybe right about the patriarchal mindset. It's always been there. I think maybe it's clouded my thinking a lot over the years."

Samantha was brimming with so much excitement she was practically shaking. Julia was recommitted, back on plan, evolving, and no longer wasting her sympathies on Eric. He was going to be subordinated, feminized and moved out of her way. Maybe, ultimately, losing some of his maleness might even be good for him she rationalized, not that she really cared. She wanted him out of the way and Julia was going to do it.

"Don't let up on him, Julia," Samantha urged.

Julia nodded knowingly.

"For awhile, at least, you're going to have to be very firm with him, more than you've been already I suspect," Samantha said.

"I know," Julia said, her pretty red lips twisting into a sinister looking half-smile. "I've thought about that very thing before," Julia said. "I have some ideas."

"You're probably going to have to make him more...," Samantha searched for the proper word, "submissive," she said. "Maybe a lot more submissive before he agrees to AGen."

"Yes, I think you're right." Julia's smile broadened a bit as she stared off into space considering what she might do to Eric. For his own good, she was going to need to break him, destroy his male ego. She intended to have some naughty fun at his expense.

"I think I have a few articles on how to retrain a male, reprogram him. I'll send them to you," Samantha said.

Julia looked back towards Samantha with relief, the burden of worry having been lifted. "Thanks Sam, I'll be happy to take whatever you have," Julia said as lightly as if they'd been discussing sales figures. "Even if it's a little over the top, please don't hesitate sending it."

"Absolutely, I will."

"Good, I want everything I can get."

"Hey, know what?" Samantha said changing the tone. "They're still working on your new office and I have to get all your paperwork submitted today before everything is official. Why don't you head home early."

Julia nodded. "All things considered, I think that's a great suggestion," she said with a smile. "It's been a trying afternoon. Lunch tomorrow?"

"Absolutely," Samantha said with a broad smile.

"Great," Julia said as she stood up to leave. "I'll look forward to it." She turned to go but before taking a single step she turned back towards Samantha. "Thanks Sam," she said with affection. "You really helped me see the truth of my situation with Eric. You really are a great friend."

"You're very welcome. Anytime at all. I mean that," Samantha replied.

Julia beamed Samantha another glorious smile, gracefully turned back towards the door, and walked away, her ass moving rhythmically with every step in the gorgeous heels she wore.

Samantha watched her move down the hall, coveting every inch of her graceful, lovely form until she turned a corner and dropped out of sight. Every moment she spent with Julia convinced her all the more that she'd do whatever was needed to have her. It might take time and Eric might suffer but she really didn't care. Samantha shrugged with indifference considering it and turned to look at her painting. Men had committed crimes against womyn for centuries - payback was a bitch.

up
85 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

payback?

jennifer breanna's picture

This is disproportionate revenge like a bloody super villain. I mean I'm a feminist but if someone said they were gonna change a woman's DNA to force her to have bigger breasts, I mean they would be calling the 7th cavalry. Do it to a man and it justified ?!?! I have very little patience left for fanatics of any stripe. -sigh-

Villains

Hi Jennifer,

Yes, you're correct. Samantha is clearly a villain and Julia is becoming one too. "Reversals" isn't intended to endorse what's happening to poor Eric but rather to explore gender and dominance and pain and obsession in a technologically rich world. "Reversals" is as much a cautionary tale as it is one of dominance and abuse. Such is my hope for the story anyway. Julia and Eric's journey is just beginning. Different readers may read the story for very different reasons. But by the end, my hope is it makes people ask themselves some questions about what they personally believe about a few things. I'm not trying to preach here at all. Instead, it's an exploration.

Rachel

Breast growth is genetic

I do not know if pure XY males will grow breasts but I suppose so. Actually, there are far fewer "pure" XY folk than we had supposed. Some are XXY and have breasts large enough that Docs suspect implants. Oddly, there is record of "males" in India breastfeeding infants but seem to have less milk capacity than an XX woman.