Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 212

Printer-friendly version

"So if Jemima turns up again, you have to adopt her, don't you?"

"Ha bloody ha! If she turns up again, I think I shall slash my wrists. There is a real possibility that having her at distances of less than a kilometre, could seriously affect one's hearing."

"Didn't you buy some earplugs while you were in the chemists?"

Easy As Falling Off A Bike.
by Angharad
part 212.

It took twenty minutes to rid ourselves of the mini banshee and her mother, during which time Tom was nearly wetting himself.

"You look quite good with children."

"That was a child? I thought it was a goblin."

"Oh you cwuel wady," he joked at me. "So how do you know her?"

"She was at the hospital, and latched on to me. I'd somehow got a dirty mark on my face and she wanted to wash it off. In the end I had to give in to her, because she seems to have a one track mind."

"Like a spaniel?"

"Yes or a cat, but they have the excuse that it's acceptable in small furry things, it isn't or shouldn't be acceptable in children. Her mother seems totally ineffectual."

"So many are, and because we want them to have more than we did, we give them too much. They have no boundaries and believe they are entitled to everything without any effort whatsoever. No wonder they behave like spoilt brats at twenty, no one has taught them any other."

I nodded, this was one of Tom's favourite soap box topics and I wasn't going to let him bore me all afternoon with it. His phone rang and it turned out to be the hospital.

"Stella is going to be in for at least another twenty four hours, she has some nasty deep bruising on her liver."

"That sounds ominous."

"Can't be very good news, she'll be livid."

"I suppose we'd better tell Simon and then go and see her." I said as I picked up my mobile.

'S still in hosp, bruised liver.
C U 2nite.
Lol,
C. xxx'

We popped into a large pharmacy near the pub and I bought her a whole pile of toiletries, plus some chocolate and some drinks. Tom popped into the supermarket and got her some fruit.

"So if Jemima turns up again, you have to adopt her, don't you?"

"Ha bloody ha! If she turns up again, I think I shall slash my wrists. There is a real possibility that having her at distances of less than a kilometre, could seriously affect one's hearing."

"Didn't you buy some earplugs while you were in the chemists?"

"No I forgot, plus I don't intend to see her again."

We parked up at the hospital and checked which ward Stella was in, it was closer than the previous one. A shortish walk and we were there. The nurses were stood around her bed talking to her.

"Oh hi Tom," she called, then she saw me. "You, I have a bone to pick with, young woman."

It's nice to be popular, pity I'm not! "Hello Stella, I brought you something for your liver."

"If it's onions, I shall beat you to death with them."

Damn, she'd heard that one. I produced the designer cleansers and moisturisers, which had cost me a fortune, complete with shower mitt and shampoo, all in their own designer bag. I gave her my peace offering.

She smiled and hugged me, "Next time you bring me into a hospital, I am going to put you in intensive care, with enemas every day!"

"I'm so glad you liked my decision, Stella, it makes it all so worthwhile. I'm overwhelmed at your gratitude."

Tom stood between us, Stella lounging on her bed, me standing at the side. "Calm down now ladies."

We chatted and Tom told her what had happened at the pub. Stella thought it was hilarious.

"She sounds perfectly charming, I wish I'd been there."

Just then there was the clatter of little hoofbeats and I visibly shrank, trying to wrap myself up in the curtain screen. surely lightning couldn't strike three times, could it?

"Aunty Fi, Mummy's coming, I wan on 'head of her."

That voice was familiar, lightning could strike three times! I just hoped she wouldn't see me. I got Tom to bring his chair around to shelter me from her gaze.

We could hear every word. It was her, there can't be two Jemimas with voices like a foghorn on steroids. I shrank back some more, Stella was in danger of falling off her bed she was laughing so much.

"Any trouble from you, girl, and I'll call over the banshee," she threatened. I promised to be extra good, including making some chestnut stuffing for Christmas dinner.

I was on tenterhooks the whole time Jemima was there, plus it was easier to hear what she was saying than it was to keep up a conversation with Stella, I was so distracted.

My luck ran out when Jemima was sent to get some paper hand towels from the holder by the wash basins. She turned around, saw Tom and smiled, then came over. Then she saw me and her face split with a huge smile.

"Wady Caffrin," she said in volumes probably audible three floors up.
She ran over to us and slipped on a small spot of water on the floor, going down with quite a bump.

I was up and over to her almost before the first tear appeared. I scooped her up and holding her to me, carried her sobbing little body over to her mother.

"Oh dear Mima, what have you done now? She's always falling over or running into things. Thank you Lady Catherine."

"It's just Cathy, honestly." I explained as I deposited the weeping bundle into her mother's arms.

"But you're married to a lord."

"Not yet, we're just engaged."

"Oh, still it won't be long will it?"

"I don't know, nor do I know if I will use any sort of title, except doctor, all the others aren't earned."

"Ooh I dunno," said Janice Scott, "I wouldn't mind it, could open doors and things."

I wished Jemima well and went back to Stella.

"She is good with children," said Stella to Tom.

"Who is?"

"You are,"

"Roast potatoes go better," I suggested trying not to snigger. "I'll stick to dormice."

"What that vicious furry thing which attacked you on telly?" Stella challenged.

"Attacked me, she was running away from the cameras. Poor little thing was frightened out of the few wits she has."

"It was funny though," said Tom chortling, "a big favourite on Youtube by all accounts."

"Can we talk about something other than that event. It only lasted about a minute and I have a few hundred thousand other ones in my life."

"Wady Caffrin, fank you for pickin' me up." A subdued Jemima appeared at Stella's bed, nursing quite a large bruise on her forehead.

"Oh poor Jemima, does your head hurt, sweetheart?" I opened my arms to give her a hug.

"Yes, Mima's head hurts," she said beginning to cry again. I hugged her and lifted her on to my lap. Tom went off and collecting some paper towels soaked them in cold water and brought them back. Jemima let me hold them against her bruise.

"There sweetie pie, does that help?" I cooed to her.

"Yes," she sobbed.

"Don't want to adopt her, do you?" said her mother standing at the edge of Stella's cubicle.

"I don't think so," I said rocking her on my lap and sponging her bruise.

"You look a natural," laughed Janice, "better than me."

"That's what I keep telling her, but all she wants is more dormice." Stella had to open her great gob and give everything away.

"Dormice, did you hear that Mima, Lady Cathy has dormice."

"Do you, Wady Caffy?" came a little voice from my lap.

"Yes I do, Jemima, at the university."

"Can Mima see vem?"

"Can you see them?" I asked, hoping she'd asked for something else, like the crown jewels.

She nodded.

"I don't know, they are very shy animals who sleep all day and run about at night. This time of year they are hibernating, do you know what that means?"

She shook her head.

"It means they are all fast asleep until the warmer weather comes."

"Can Mima see vem, if Mima keeps vewy quiet?" she asked very quietly.

"I don't know, Jemima, you'd need to get permission from my professor and he's a crusty old bloke."

"Oh that's a shame," said Janice, "where do I find this crusty old b?"

"Sitting right here," said Tom, "Professor Tom Agnew at your service.

"Oh!" squeaked Janice.

Stella once again rocked with laughter on the bed.

"So what do I have to do to get permission for Mima to see the dormice?"

"It's a bit difficult because of the risk of accident and the fact that small children are not usually allowed into laboratory areas, makes it more so."

"Oh dear so she can't see them?"

"I didn't say that. What I said was, it is difficult, not impossible. It would have to be at your own risk and I'd have to insist that she would only be able to see them through the cages. She can't touch them because they're asleep and it's dangerous to wake them."

"Why do they bite?"

"No, they can die from shock or hypothermia."

"Oh! Gosh are they that fragile?"

"Yes they are. They are also scared by noise so Jemima would have to keep very quiet. But the person you need to speak to is Cathy, they're her babies."

"You have baby ones too?"

"They were babies a few months ago, now they're pretty well grown up."

We talked and as Tom had dropped me in it, I offered to take them straight from the hospital, so he would have to come too. He gave me a filthy look, but his fate was as sealed as mine.

up
146 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I can just imagine…

…Jemima being captivated by Spike, but Spike not being so keen on Mima and doing a repeat of the famous disappearing dormouse trick. And Jemima will want a pet dormouse, natch.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Wait about twenty years

I suspect Jemmima will be a grad student in mamalian biology under Senior Professor Lady Cathryn.

If this doesn't induce Cathy to adopt a child or find some way to have her own -- her and Simon's genetic material in one of Stella's eggs, carried by Stella? --

I still hope for the Tanya Allen intersexed heroine and an opperation makes Cathy a fertile woman ending.

Please don't let the little girl be the death of Spike!

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Fan of Ang's Gabi fanfic, she has more in the works, looks good too.

John in Wauwatosa

Your PS...

Is something of an understatement, I think. Auntie A's stuff is always brilliant and that includes her Gaby :)

I'm not just a little biased, you see.

Never let it be said that I don't enjoy the occasional delusion of grandeur

Never let it be said that I don't enjoy the occasional delusion of grandeur

part 212

awesome as uze. Mima gets around don't she. And a kid that size has to be interested in little furry things, but I can't imagine her being quiet the required time. Watch out lab!

I miss the catchy by line entries you used to do. Bonzi not helping out anymore?

I always enjoy the keywords

Hope everyone notices that Angharad keeps them topical with the story chapter. For example tonight they include, "Transitioning Romantic Estrogen / Hormones College / Twenties Dormice earplugs Jemima."

Have to read it all to get the full effect from the chapter.

Woody

Naturally good!

Another great episode...

Whattya bet that Mima's a natural with wild creatures...?

What percentage of this story has been spent in hospital?

Wherever you go, there you are.

~ Bukaroo Bonzai

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

Stella's Liver And Onions

My Oh my Angharad, you must have truly tickled your funny bone tonight with all of these humorous witticisms in this chapter. Now I can just see that moppet with a foghorn voice Jemima cause mayhem at the lab and Spike once again baptizing Cathy or whoever is holding her. With that urchin as a friend, Cathy needs no enemies. That imp is trouble enough as it is.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I wonder if all that laughing ...

...is really good for Stella... She's got bruised internals and all... Me, it'd trigger an asthma attack. That happened last fall, when I was seeing a production of "The complete works of Shakespere, Abridged"... (See it if you get a chance!)

Jemina's mom had better stay healthy! Or she'll ask Cathy to take care of her... Though, it'd be nice to see how Simon reacts to the little charmer...

Annette

Complete Works of Shakespeare, Abridged

Saw it, and the next year just before Christmas, 'Every Christmas Story Ever Told, and then Some!' I understand there are similar projects underway.

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

jokes are ok but Cathy's sweet to anyone in need

Mima may be a pain sometimes but a hurt little girl is going to get sympathy.

"I was up and over to her almost before the first tear appeared. I scooped her up and holding her to me, carried her sobbing little body over to her mother."

More (Je)Mima

So all of us who expressed a wish for more (Je)Mima got our wishes! Thank you again, Angharad!

(Gosh! I wish I could think of something to say that was more original!)

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

it was funny

i can understand why she would try to hide from that wonder how quiet the beast will be seeing the dormice
keep up the good work

hugs from

sara

Lol?

Why was Cathy laughing out loud in her text message? Is Stella's bruised liver that funny?

More Jemima

So let the cute competition begin one little girl with a voice like a foghorn verses one cute furry little Dormouse.I'll take the Dormouse please LOL (cheaper to feed and clothing optional).That said please don't make the little monster Jemima a Dormouse murderer.Angharad I love this little tale you woven even with quirky little kid. Amy

EAFOAB - Mima's on the warpath

Batten down the hatches, block your ears and pray, lots of praying.

Brilliant!

NB

Motherhood !

Sure, children are best kept at 40degF until serving, But Lady Catherine seems to like them at Room temperature.
Angharad, wonderful, warm hearted chapter, Oh no disaster coming!
Cefin