Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 213

Printer-friendly version

I asked Jemima if she'd like to give Spike the nut and she nodded. She gave the nut gently to the dormouse, who gladly accepted it. It tickled her hand which made her laugh, then when she saw how Spike opened the nut, she shrieked with laughter and the dormouse disappeared.

Easy As Falling Off A Dormouse.
by Angharad & Bonzi
part 213.

We drove to the university followed by Janice and Jemima. Tom grumbled most of the way there, I ignored it, in some ways he was worse than Jemima.

They followed us into the department and I took Jemima aside. "The dormice are very nervous creatures, so you need to be very, very quiet."

"Mima be vewy quiet, shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" she put her finger to her lips.

We went into the lab and I put my finger to my lips and Mima copied me and hushed everyone. Her mother and Tom were talking and Mima hushed them very loudly. She actually made more noise than them, which made us all smile.

We tiptoed up to the cages, which are really special tank like structures with controlled temperature and humidity. They also have darkened glass which means the animals are less troubled by people passing all the time, although they can be viewed without knowing they are being watched. We use red light when we need to see into the tanks, because that doesn't disturb them. There is also an artificial day light period each day to make sure the plants growing inside get some photosynthesis but the air quality is computer controlled, with back up system. This is why it is so expensive, but we've put quite a few little furry things back into the English countryside, so I think it's worth every penny, but I would being the architect of the scheme.

We have nesting boxes in there too, but with glass, or rather perspex sides, so we can see into them. It's important for counting babies and so on. Most were hibernating, and by lifting Jemima up, she could see into the nest boxes and was giggling softly.

We went round all the tanks and at the end one Spike was munching on a hazel nut. This was when I made the mistake, I opened the cage and picked Spike out, grabbing a fresh hazel nut.

I asked Jemima if she'd like to give Spike the nut and she nodded. She gave the nut gently to the dormouse, who gladly accepted it. It tickled her hand which made her laugh, then when she saw how Spike opened the nut, she shrieked with laughter and the dormouse disappeared.

I knew I should have left well alone. I was cross with myself but Jemima thought I was cross with her. Her mother was cross with her because she had been told to be quiet, but you can't tell a three year old something like that and expect them to do it.

I didn't see where Spike went, she sort of leapt into the air and Jemima made another squeal and I took my eye off the flying dormouse. In an instant she was gone.

Janice took her daughter home and Tom and I searched the lab high and low, with no sign of our furry escapee. He walked over to the pub for something to eat, while I stayed and searched desperately trying to find my favourite rodent.

I'd even got a red lamp and an image intensifier, which was no use indoors. I sat at my desk feeling really stupid and quite tearful when something fell from the ceiling, catching my hair as it fell.

I shall never know how I didn't stand up scream and knock whatever it was off my hair, but I didn't. Had it been a spider, I think I should have fainted, but it was of course a low flying dormouse which scurried up onto my shoulder and down the neck of my jumper. Instead of grabbing her I just let her nestle into my bra, which she did a few moments later.

I sat very quietly with her snug in my underwear. Tom came back with a sandwich for me. "Any sign of the little bugger?"

I hushed him and pulled the neck of my jumper down a little and he could see the tail and the nose sticking out of the centre of my cleavage.

His jaw dropped and then he started to laugh, he laughed so much he began to cough and had to go off and get a drink of water.

When I told him how she had parachuted in from presumably an air conditioning duct, having found me in the whole area of the lab, which is hundreds of square feet, he had to go and get another drink.

I almost felt like having a photo taken to show it wasn't my imagination, but so little of her showed, the picture would have been a semi pornographic one of my breasts. Tom did offer, but I declined.

To my mind it set off many strange thoughts. Spike was different to most dormice and was used to being handled and fed by me. That she had sought me out and then got to me was quite a feat in itself, if that is what happened. Maybe it was just a random event and she fell out of the duct and just happened to land on something soft - me!

For once I allowed my sentiment to rule me and I decided she had come looking for her mum, and not only that, had found her. Well it was Christmas after all, a time of magic and miracles.

It was some time later when we had an engineer in to clean out the ducts that he declared some mice had been using them, there were some droppings, part of a hazel nut and some footprints. I wonder how they could have got there.

I finally managed to pop her back into her cage and went home. Tom still didn't believe me, neither did Simon, although when we went upstairs, he wanted to play 'dormice'!

Simon went to get Stella from hospital, I went to the university to check the tanks and feed and clean as necessary. When I got back they were home.

"I gave Janice my mobile number, she is going to call you on it to see how Spike is. I hope that's okay?"

"Yeah, that's fine."

"Simon told me how she turned up, looking for her mummy."

"Maybe, maybe not," I said feeling far less secure with the idea in the cold light of day.

"Well it was quite a coincidence then."

"That might be all it was, I have no idea how she got into the duct in the first place, except they are nimble climbers."

"She came back safe, that's all that matters."

"Yeah, I suppose so."

Stella's mobile rang and she answered it. "It's for Wady Caffrin," she said passing it over and giggling.

"Cathy, hi it's Janice Scott, did you find the dormouse?"

"Yes, she turned up later, safe and sound."

"I am so sorry that Mima frightened her."

"It's okay, no harm done."

"She wants to apologise to you herself."

"It's not necessary, she didn't do it on purpose."

I heard the phone fumbled and a familiar voice said loudly, "Mima is vewy sowwy. Did you catched Spiky?"

"Yes I did, so don't worry, she is quite all right. Did you enjoy seeing the dormice?"

"Oh yes," she squealed and I felt part of my brain turn to mush by the high frequency of her voice. "Goodbye Wady Caffrin."

"Goodbye Jemima." I said at the same time thinking, I'm sure that isn't the last time I will see her and being a little hopeful that was the case.

up
146 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I Like Spike!

Spike is far more charming than Jemima. Less little girl, more Spike please!

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

"Less little girl, more spike please!"

Sorry Karen, but somehow I think Ang is going to over rule you! Both are cute little charmers, and somehow I think a lot of the rest of this story with no plot whatsoever, is going to involve both of them in approximately equal amounts!
Ang, just don't kill off Spike! She is not just a supporting actress, she is one of the leading ladies, along with just about all the other 'lydies' in this wonderful story!

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Very small Kids are a real

Very small Kids are a real treat at times. They are so innocent and will tell you just about anything you want to know, even things their parents told them to never tell anyone. Art Linkletter proved that in the 1950's on his program "kids say the darndest things". Cathy's story with Spike is a hoot in itself. Spike is now probably more like a pet than a research project. Wonderful chapter as usual. J-Lynn

Parachuting varmints.....

I now have this image in my mind of a begoggled dormouse in free-fall, limbs spread, aiming for the target area of Cathy's head...

Great addition, as always - it's really interesting to be seeing this side of Cathy coming out and for her to be embracing it, adding yet more depth to her character. The complexity of your characters are admirable, built up layer by layer....

Jemima reminds me of Meichan, the little girl (4 years old) who befriends Totoro in the Studio Ghibli anime となりのトトロ(Neighbor of Totoro); the Jemima character comes out more in the Japanese version in tone and facial expressions (even if you don't understand Japanese) than the English, where her character is Disneyfied to the point of being saccharine. The scene where she first meets Totoro face to face will forever more remind me of Spike and Jemima's first close encounter!

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

Rodent parachutists

... have it easy.

Due to their low mass and relatively large surface area, they have a low terminal velocity.

I went down a coal mine in Derbyshire in the mid 70s, and saw some mice near the coalface. The guide explained that mice can fall down the ventilation shafts and the main cage shafts, and scuttle away unharmed when they land. Then they live on the scraps from the food the miners take down.

So Spike, being even lighter, was in no danger from her little flight.

Aren't you describing "Rocky the Flying Squirrel"?

From the old TV show? Another fun chapter. Starting to wonder if this really is the calm before the storm. Happy to see that Stella is home but I'd sure expected Tom to go get her.

oh what funny image

i can just picture a dormouse falling on top of cathy and seeing her face. i can not wait and see how many more time she will run into the sceaming monkey.

thanks for this great chapter
with hugs from sara

Vewy nais

I loved it. Again. Thanks so much A. I could do with a little more of Jemima, I think she's a lovely outgoing and endearing character. A bit loud though. But then again, I don't really hear her, so who cares?

Jo-Anne

Interesting...

I've read stories of different "pets" finding their "owners" (feeders/handlers), and this even includes one rabbit. Now, a doormouse is a tad smaller, but I guess I can credit it happening. Hapenstance works too. And who's to say the author isn't allowed to "encourage" a bit of this... :-)

Your handling of little Jimima is wonderful! I've known kids like that (Including 2 of my own, though luckily neither were likely to YELL a lot.)

Thanks, Annette

Spike In The Air Duct And Evidence Of Other Mice, Hmm!

Angharad, a very comedic chapter indeed!! But what else can you expect when Hurricane Jemima meets Tornado Spike? with Spike very possibly getting into the air duct with the other mice, she can very well have a litter of from the encounter unless Spike is too old to breed. But then again, meeting Hurricane Jemima, she could be to hyper.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Hurricane Jemima meets Tornado Spike!

Couldnt have said it better myself, Stanman! Well spoken!

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Re: Spike In The Air Duct...

But what else can you expect when Hurricane Jemima meets Tornado Spike?

How about The Perfect Storm? ;-)

Jenny

I Adore Her!

I find I'm loving Mima more and more. She is fictional, right? Aw! That's too bad!

Mind you, I don't have to listen to her. Maybe if I did, I wouldn't be so enthusiastic, eh? But, so far, my hearing is fine!

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Now look here Angharad

I have searched YouTube high and low and have found no videos of dormice running, walking, dancing or any other perambulatory movements in or around a pretty young lady's anatomy.

I found videos of dormice, no problem there, but could I find the one referred to in your daily ditties?

No I could not!

I don't understand this. If it's so damned popular, how come I can't find it?

Yours

Cross of Dorset.

Spike spotting

I think I found a short video of Spike on youtube - apparently she's been spending some time in Germany....

Check out "Siebenschläfer"

Wherever you go, there dormice are.

~ Bakuroo Bonsai

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

My neice

was very good with small animals. She was 9 or so and managed to talk her Dad into a juvenile hamster that wasn't quite tame (but getting there). The obnoxious little beast bit down hard on the webbing between her thumb and pointer. She didn't panic, even though it obviously hurt a lot, but stroked it a few times to calm in down, then pried its jaws open and put in the cage, stroking it while she did so, then went to clean up the blood with my help. I was very impressed.

She took good care of all her numerous hamsters. They barely live past two years old. They escaped now and again and did damage to my house, but I didn't have the heart to ban them. Snowball (this little beast) came to a bad end, but that is another story.

hopeing it wouldn't be the last time

I would see her....."

See what I meant about children being children doing what children their age do? Thanks ever so much Ang, for showing this to the rest of the world! I mean, how many of us really watch people being people? (laughs maniacly, however spell)
Jemima is one of those extra special youngsters (are there really any other type?) who, like Cathy, just work their way into the hearts of those around them, without being at all aware of what is going on!
Love? Romance? Heart break? death in the family? unrequited love? Super heroes? Dr. Who? Young Frawnensteen? who would have guessed? I certainly didnt! keep up the exceptionally good storyline!
And Stanman I have been wondering where you were! Nice to see you here making your usual contribution!

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Motherhood II

Spike knows Cathy's her mother .Jemmima thinks Cathy's a mother, and if Mimi could, she'd crawl into Cathy's bra too.
Funny chapter

Cefin