Art Project – 11 Gaining Roots New and Old

Printer-friendly version


Art Project – 11
Gaining Roots New and Old



By Jessica C



Andrew’s attention deficit, being a bit spoiled and getting away with things finally caught up with him… Consequences of Andrews’s action have become Andrea’s blessing… Andrea is now the one most visible while Andrew is set on holding onto himself… Not all are so accepting of Andrea or the dual identity.



=^_^=~


The following week, Ms. Hopkins stops me to ask if I asked my school counselor about having to many classes emphasizing feminine studies. I tell her, “No, since my German class as Lena and my Women in Literature classes are on the same days. I’ve decided to make those my days I’d come to school as Andrea.”

Ms. Hopkins said, “But I saw you here yesterday Andrea?”

I smile saying, “I didn’t say, I would be limited to those days. I was going to be designing some clothes after I got home from school. I’m usually Andrew when I do most of the designing. I felt the desire to integrate my tasks so Andrea is well-rounded and known for designing as well.” I can see a question pop up in Ms. Hopkins head so I tell her. “I did quite well if you ask me come spring I’ll show you the outfit and a dress I designed as Andrea.”

Ms. Hopkins assigns my next book to read to be by an author I had not heard of Jennifer Finney Boylan. The book is “She’s Not There.” It soon becomes evident that the book and its story will hit a cord with me. It is an autobiography of James Boylan’s life transitioning to that of Jennifer Finney Boylan. It is much more than about the physical transition.

I decided for my German class that Lena’s came from Baden, Germany where some of my ancestors came from a century and a half ago. They were on my mother’s, mother’s side of the family. It is near France and the Rhine River, but it is the Oos River that runs through it. It is nestled in the Black Forest. Even I had heard of the black forest. An Aunt has a cuckoo clock that came from the black forest. A quick little research had me back to thinking of a bigger world.

Taking time to design and promote clothes, my world had become narrowly focused. Frau. Schneider and Ms. Hopkins are doing their part to get me back to earth and stay grounded while opening me to the larger world.

I text JC Harper and ask, “Is any of our fashion lines is sold around the world.”

It is the next day before I get a message from JC. She says, “We have not sought to introduce it internationally, but yes. We have sold some in Europe, England and Africa via our websites.

=^_^=~


The next day as Andrew, I’m confronted by some guys bigger then myself. Marc and Haes shove a poster size picture of me in my prom gown so I and others see. They amusingly asked, “What do you have to say for yourself; isn’t this a bit girly for a guy?”

I’m not sure what to say or what trouble I might be in for. Finally I smile and simply say, “Well, not all guys could have pulled it off as well as I did.”

Marc slaps my shoulder hard enough that I take a step back, but I’m relieved as it didn’t seem like he’s angry with me. He says, “Just testing you man. I question a person who won’t stand up for their self you pass the test.”

“Well, I wasn’t comfortable with it initially but I got myself in a problem and the teacher gave me no room to back down without failing. It took some older girls to help me look that good. Voila, girls like what I design and now I do as well.”

Haes says, “You’re telling me Chicks like that?”

“I can’t say they all do, nor do most want their boyfriends doing it much. But I’ve since heard about at least five guys who allowed their girlfriend or some other girls help them to do it.”

Luckily we all need to get to class but it’s the catalyst for several conversations during school with various students.

It is good to have Sheryl Dobbs and her friends that have quickly become mine as well. Maya and Kayla seemingly have been prodding Haes to consider dressing up. But they’re soon down the hallway and I go on with my day.

=^_^=~

Today Mr. Hanks challenges our class, “Most of you have learned American History in bits and pieces as younger students. Now we’re going to begin where European settlers come to America. I want you to learn more than just dates and names. Reports should be information heavy but include how you see and understand this history. Like when we get to the American Revolution and settling the different states learn more than is in the book. Use class discussion, extra reading, internet searches and reference books. Were any of your ancestors in America, part of the fighting, etc?

“How were the Native Americans treated in this state? There are names of towns, rivers and areas named by or for some of those people. We usually learn how Native Americans were in the west. But what about here?”

Andrea and our female students, how would you have been treated back then. Someone says, “We were often treated more like property even if we own some land. I think, Andrea would have hidden her second self away. Though Native Americans might have been better in accepting her.”

It is at the end of school and I am leaving that Haes and his girlfriend Tiffany text me and ask if they could give me a ride home. Haes is noticeably nervous as he drives. Tiff introduces herself and asks, “If I order two of your outfits and one is noticeably a bigger size; am I going to get questions coming back at me? I’d even prefer that they came to me as one package.”

I say, “No questions should be asked though you might prefer to order it over the phone and suggest one order is a gift. Ask for a gift receipt come for the outfit that is not for you.”

Tiff says, “No, I’m not planning on returning either outfit.”

“I wasn’t suggesting that. But if you want to make sure questions are not asked. The way I suggest would give the person receiving the order a clear understanding you are intentionally ordering two outfits of different sizes.”

Haes says, “I like that idea. I’m comfortable ordering that way… Oops.”

I’m riding in the back seat and tap Haes on the shoulder. “Relax, that is between you and Tiffany. Unless you want my help in some way.”

Tiff asks, “Do you have any suggestions of an outfit or two that would work better for him if he would so decide.”

“His Adams apple is not very noticeable but a silk or satin scarf can be a colorful distraction and help. There is a bright blue jumper with a red and yellow pullover top that would be nice and practical. Better yet how about we stop someplace, my apartment or even in the car and go through the possibilities.”

It is my first time having others from school stop at my apartment. I see my mother’s car so I use Andrea’s apartment. I quickly change and put on some makeup. Tiffany and Haes are both taken with the size of the change in my appearance. My mother knocks when she realizes I’m in the other apartment. But she respects our privacy. It takes about an hour to look through clothing. There is a skirt in a fall red that is selected. A white blouse and a print blouse are both ordered.

Tiffany orders a dress and an outfit for herself once I tell her I’m willing to give a fifteen percent discount along with the free shipping they qualified for.

They have a target date when Tiffany and Haley are planning to attend a school event. I suggest they choose another date and before that schedule a salon visit and a time out involving just them.

Tiffany says, “Andrea if you’d be willing to make it a foursome our friend Margi would probably go with us.” I tell them I will think about it but I wasn’t promising anything.

=^_^=~


Tiffany and Haes are leaving when I use the adjoining door to go to Andrew’s apartment to see my mother. “Hi Mom, it’s nice to see you. I didn’t know you would be here. Are you cooking a home cooked meal?”

Mom smiles, “I told you I would come unannounced sometime. With you coming home this weekend I thought I’d come up tonight and stay to give you a ride on Friday. I talked to Leah. I agreed with her that I’d make chicken stir-fry tomorrow night. If that is alright with you.” I lick my lips as Mom is a really good cook and stir-fry is one of her best dishes.

I ask, “Would you rather take me out tonight so we can focus on visiting?” Mom is noticeably happy, though I think she was wanting to talk more with Andrew. Being out in public we both find it awkward to visit as the person who is not there so it is Andrea Mom gets to visit with. Once we’re back at the apartment I will be more willing to visit as Andrew.

It is no surprise to my mother that classmates are more interested in asking Andrea to school events or a community dance after a football game. I check my messages and I have a request from JC to do two appearances on the Saturday and Sunday after the first home football game and dance. Since they’re reasonably close by, it is very workable. JC will be there at the second appearance and we will talk over the selections of my winter designs that are soon to be released. There are several more offerings that will be offered closer to Christmas.

I am surprised when Mom asks, “Are you any more tempted to change to present yourself more or exclusively as Andrea?”

“Mom, I’m surprised you asked that. I’ve told you that I’m Andrew as well as Andrea and I don’t plan to change. You and Dad, along with my counselor are the first people I’d talk about it with, if I were thinking about it.”

=^_^=~


The thing I like most about this visit of my mother is the girl moments we’re having. Among other things she wants me sensitive and understanding about other women. “Other women’, I like that.

We are out eating near the university when Terra Hobbs, my precious friend from last year’s art class, stops at our table to say hello. Mom and I have already visited, so we ask Terra and her friends Jackie and Dana to sit and visit. When I’m introduced, Jackie recognizes my name and says, “No, you’re not Andrea. You look like her/him but you’re not a boy underneath. You would need more makeup and… Well more than you have. Are you one of Andrea’s sisters?”

Terra says, “They both have seen our prom pictures.” She turns to Jackie and Dana, “Seriously this is Andrea. She’s just more naturally Andrea than she was.”

Dana challenges me, “If you’re Andrea Stephens help me to connect with your fashions on-line.” I take her tablet and quickly I’m creating an account for her. I have tapped an icon that will give her an automatic 10% off her next order. I can tell she is impressed, but not quite sure about me being Andrew.

Jackie asks for the same connection; I decide instead to make Terra an associate sales person for me. “I’m sorry Jackie but you’ll need to wait until I get Terra set up as a sales associate. You can go to a local store with my card and get 10% off your order there.”

We are back to just visiting and I like that my mom enjoys being part of the conversation. When mom and I get up to leave, Terra stood and gives me a hug goodbye that ends with an affectionate kiss. I am sure it surprised Terra’s friends.

Mom lets me drive on our way home to the apartment. “Well Andrea, you are quite natural in meeting others and in promoting Andrea’s Threads. I am growing to think you and your designs have what it takes to continue as a thriving business.”

Mom asks, “When does your art and design class at the University begin?”

I say, “It begins next Thursday with Instructor Jean Claude Coztier. He’s already called me using his secretary to tell me fashioning clothes is not real art. It was suggested I change classes. I talked to JC and she says he is well worth a little hassle.”

Mom says, “It sounds like you attract critics as well as admirers. I hope you learn to relate to them as best as possible. Be it an instructor or people in business, you want to be a builder of relationships. And constructively creative how you handle working relationships that are more problematic. I think you do relatively well for a boy your age, but you have some room for growth.”

=^_^=~


Come the next morning I am awake before my mother as I’m the one who needs to get ready for the day. I had pinned my hair before going to bed, so it would have more pronounced curls or waves in it for Andrea. I eat a lite breakfast as I check in with JC. She has put items on sale at stores carrying both of our lines of clothing.

I appreciate knowing sales and whether they’re in store, or on line. She commented that a fall outfit I designed and requested a kaki and blue combination, is doing much better than others thought it would. She asks which other fall items I think would do well with the color combination. I give her three suggestions.

I ask, “JC do you know if Jan Richards sent and art print to you or the company for me?” She had and JC agrees to send them to me expressed delivery. I ask for her new contact information.

When I am through school for the day, my Mom picks me up to go to the University Books and Supply Store. Jean Claude addresses me from behind, “I see you have not taken my suggestion yet and transferred to another class.”

I turn and smile to him, introducing my mother before responding to his statement. “JC, my mentor, suggests there are enough good things I will learn from you. She says it will be worth my effort to learn from you.”

Jean ‘pronouncing the French Jon’ says, "It is not quite a mutual admiration society but I agree you can learn much from me.”

I hold back a giggle as Mom responds, “In business one does not always get to choose the people we work with. I admire Jacqueline Harper, for knowing someone she respects; not worrying if it is the best relationship.”

Jean Claude says, “I do not understand putting up with someone that a person does not admire. In my department that person would be gone. Ms. Harper is fortunate to have a reputation the University admires and that we technically are in different apartments.”

Mom forthrightly says, “I am comfortable with you as my daughter’s instructor. But I admire Jacqui more. The business world and employment prospects does not usually give someone all the people that match up well with them. Some whom I respect more than like have proven to be exceptional people though with a different disposition and personality.”

“Professor Coztier, I agree with my Mom. We already talked about my taking the class, so I look forward to seeing you Thursday afternoons.” I have the feeling he might be trouble for me, but I’m not actually sure what his issues are with me. It is mostly gut instinct.

=^_^=~


This evening Leah is over by six and both of us are seeking to help mother as she’s making her chicken stir-fry. She has a nice blend of pea pods, water chestnuts, sprouts, sweet red pepper and onions. She makes both wild rice and noodles to please Leah’s taste as well as my own.

As dinner is being prepared Megan Hach knocks at the door to our apartment. So I already knew it should be someone in our building. Megan quickly says, “When did you learn to cook? It smells delicious.”

Mom calls out from the kitchen, “Invite her to eat with us, if she’s not already eaten.”

Megan says, “Your Mom is here and cooking for the two of you. If you two won’t mind my answer to your Mom is: Thank you!”

Leah has no Friday classes so she is free from any worries for tomorrow. She and Mom will go for a late breakfast. I am to take part in a new tradition for me. After dinner and Megan leaves. Leah and Heidi became women to my mom’s way of thinking at thirteen. I am about three years behind, but very new in being seen as a daughter and young woman.

=^_^=~


Mom and each of us dress down to relax and spend time as the Stephens women. It is a very new tradition for me that Grandma Hollister introduced to Mom when she was a teenager. I am told that Grandpa Hollister was the second generation with abusive husbands on that side of the family. Grandma like my mother fell in love with the wrong men the first time around.

Grandma Elizabeth took it on herself to break the cycle and raising my Mom as a single parent and her to be a strong and independent woman. Mom’s wearing a robe that doesn’t hide much over a negligee that is much the same. Leah has already changed as well, when mom gives me a gift. The robe I receive and the negligee are very beautiful, but with my gift comes a vagina gaff. I am required to wear all of it.

I can’t believe I am sitting with her and Leah dressed as one of the daughters. Needless to say I am uptight at first. Mom encourages me now and in the near future to discover my body. Leah teases, “I will be very surprised Andrea, if you haven’t been in discovery mode before this.” I’m turning beet red, Leah says, “I thought so.”

Mom and Leah visit saying, “It is best you know your body better than any guy. Feel free to express what you want and make sure no guy dictates to you what you want.” Mom’s fingers make circles around her breasts as bumps appear and her nipple and breasts become firm. Leah is in the process of mimicking our mother. Finally I am asked to do the same.

I feel I am definitely the little sister, but the experience is arousing and as strong as I’d wish for tonight.

We were up until midnight, making school preparation a struggle to get out of bed and ready in time. But I’m pleased with how I look. Sheryl picks me up and gives me a ride to school. Today I’m with my friends before school and at lunch. I text a girl in Germany who has bought two of my outfits. “I am Andrea of Andrea’s Threads in America. I would like to be your friend would that be all right with you.” It will be after school before I see her response, thankfully it is positive.

Frau Schneider is amused that I went to that extent to make contact with someone in Germany. Sophia Franck lives near the Swiss border so she is familiar with Baden. She is amused that I am a high school student and she’s at university.

“Andrea, I like your clothing, but I am surprised to learn you are younger. What causes you to be interested in befriending me?” I text back, "I am happy to hear from you. I will wait to communicate more until Saturday."

Story to be continued…

Story Characters:
Andrew/Andrea Stephens - Me
Heidi, Leah Stephens – Respectively my younger and older sisters
Michele Stephens-Johnson – Mom; Dan Johnson – Step Dad
Jay Johnson – Step brother
Mr. Murphy – Art Teacher; Principal Valarie Hayes
Terra Hobbs, Linda Jones, Jennifer Lach, Sarah James and Clara Kelley-Older Students in the Advance Art class
Caroline, Carrie Druthers– Owner/manager of the women’s Towne Shoppe
Ms. Andrea Miller – Teacher, Home economics, Family Life class
JC Harper – Noted clothing designer
Andrea’s Threads
Girls from school Beverly, Eve, Gwen
Grandmother Elizabeth Hollister
Granddaughter Sharon Hollister
Sandra is a friend and a classmate of Sarah’s
Lisa Jenkins; Doug Martin
Dr. Michele Higgins, Debbie Higgins one of her daughters.
Bridgette and Rita students from high school
Janice Richards Artist (4);
Aunt Teresa Drake and her daughter Allysn
Megan Hach, Elle Stark (kid sister Alaina), Samantha Harden, Ruth Strass
Ryann O’Hara the owner/operator of the Terrace Garden Gowns
Travis and Justus Milner – Friends from Plainfield
Dr. Paula Haverford, she’s the Superintendent at State Center Schools
Heather Dobbs – State Center Art instructor, Daughter Sheryl
Ms. Hannah Stein – Faculty Advisor, Program development
Jennifer Hopkins – Literature and Advanced Composition instructor
Mr. Rich Deemer for Current World History,
Coach Patsy Bedford - Lifetime Phys. Ed
Mr. Barstow – Chemistry;
Frau. Schneider - German II; Sophia Franck – new friend in Germany
Paige, her mother Leigh and Paige’s Aunt Olivia
Tamara – a new friend in Chicago from Northwestern University
Lee - her brother
Suzanne and her Aunt Bree of Ashville
Tina (Christina), Gil, Hennessey and Shannon - in my grade
Holly - a year ahead of me along with Sheryl Dobbs.
Hillside, Hillside High School – Hometown and school
Central City and North State University
University High in Central City
State Center (10 miles SW of Central City and NSU
Plainfield (7 miles from my hometown
Jackie and Dana - Terra’s friends from U
Jean Claude Cozier – Design and Art instructor at the U.
Sophia Franck - German friend

up
205 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Andrea/Andrew

Renee_Heart2's picture

I think is more of a girl then she/he knows. As for her designed sounds like girls and women love, however her art/design instructor I'm concerned about him Andrea's gut feeling is probably right.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

I love the acceptance she's getting

it's just my opinion, but I think she will retain a little of Andrew, and not totally cross over. But hey, I could be wrong ...

DogSig.png

Jealous?

Jamie Lee's picture

Could it be the professor is jealous of Andrea's success with her clothing line? He judges her based on her clothing line, not because he's seen her abilities. Or got to know her. What a twirp.

With Andrea's last gifts, is mom wanting Andrea to be around more often, maybe permanently? Feels like it.

Others have feelings too.

Yep,

Definitely learning the INS and outs of being a woman. The only experience folks like us will never have is the period.