Looking for Light

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

TG Themes: 

Other Keywords: 

Permission: 



redhead_by_sunnysanki-d6nyd1r.jpg


Lying for lies
A golden lie
Your red red hair
Your almond eyes



A Tales of Us story..


Teaneck, New Jersey

The rest of the promised rain held off, which left the girl hot and nervous; owing more to what she was bound to hear than to the dog-day that now approached a painful August evening. She teetered as she walked down the sidewalk; her vertigo due solely to the ear infection left unattended for too long. He preferred his girls in very high heels, and even so, she appreciated the look almost as much as she detested the reason for wearing them.

Looking for light
A golden light
Red red hair
And almond eyes

She managed to negotiate the short distance between the safety of the awning-covered doorway to the Dodge Avenger that idled in the parking space at the end of the lot. She walked to the driver’s side and leaned against the door. The driver pulled off sunglasses; revealing an attractive woman. The girl backed away slightly and smiled.

“Oh, lookie here,” the woman said with a wry smile.

“You’re young, but you’ll do,” she said as she pointed to the passenger side of the car. A moment later the girl was sitting nervously as the woman tapped her watch.


Searching for love
A wallet's hot
The price is right
It's money for love

Looking for light
A golden light
With your red red hair
And almond eyes
Laurel you came here

“What may I expect, kid?” She leaned back and turned to the girl, who stared almost blankly.

“What will you do and what do you want. I know you’re special., so where and what and how much? “

“Uh… $200 for….” The girl stammered and blushed; her complexion turning from near alabaster to a red almost as dark as her hair.

“Yes?” The woman tilted her head slightly in question. The girl shrugged her shoulders slightly as she plunged into only partly uncharted waters.

“$200 for … tongue. I gotta room at the motel.” She pointed across the street. “Depends if you wanna fuck. Another $200?”

“Okay,” the woman said and got out. A moment later she was standing next to the girl by the front of the car. The girl motioned for the woman to follow and put her hand out.

“Sorry, kid,” the woman said as she snapped handcuffs on the girl's wrists.

“You bitch! You fucking cunt! Fuck you.” A patrol car pulled up; lights flashing but no siren. Two cops exited and walked over. The girl screamed even as the woman calmly read the girl her rights off a laminated card. One of the patrol officers pushed the girl’s head down and urged her into the car.

“Fuck….. Fuck….” The girl repeated a few times; her face turning quickly from anger to utter despair as she burst into tears. She began to bang her head softly against the seat.

“Hey…stop that,” the other uniform yelled through the closed car door. The woman put her hand on the cop’s shoulder in caution.

“She won’t go batshit on you, Tom. Twelve years old – thirteen tops. She’s given up. Probably no place to go… no home…probably she was abused. And two...probably her only…friends… two in the last six months just like her on a slab downtown.”

“She? That’s a dude, Meg.”

“No. I’ve seen kids like her. She was her way before the prick latched onto her. Girls like her either get turned away by the church shelters or get beat down or worse. Nobody to watch over her? Keep her safe? Underneath it all, that’s one scared little girl.” Meg shook her head. Officer Jaworski wasn’t really bad so much as misinformed. She hoped he’d continue to ask questions.

“I guess I get it. I … guess I don’t know why you try so hard. Why try, Meg? You can’t save them all.”

Margaret Noonan had begun to trust her fellow cops. But apart from her former partner in blue and now wife Anita, Meg was cautious enough to know whom she could expect would understand. She glanced down at her body while Tommy’s attention was drawn to the now sobbing boy/girl in the back of the patrol car. He turned and shrugged his shoulders.

“What does it matter, Meg? Like I said – you can’t save everyone.” Tommy wasn’t ready just yet to learn about Meg’s past; someday, but not today. She smiled and pointed to the girl.

“Starfish, Tommy, my man. Starfish…”

Behind the smile
An angry mind
Don't wait for tonight



Laurel
Words and muisc by
Will Gregory and Alison Goldfrapp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOFMo8o2K5Q

up
101 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It grabbed my interest

laika's picture

...and then it was OVER!!!! Gaaaah. you Bitch!!

I know it was probably trying and tiring to write,
and it was intended as just the interpretation of one song.
(a very powerful one at that) But now I'm worried about the girl with the red hair
and I wish it was longer. Maybe she can't save all of them but I do hope she saves this one.
hugs, V

.
The closest approximation to what it's like in my brain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u08E7c-FRbU&t=4s

I'm thinking...

The larger challenge here is getting her fellow officers to feel the same way she does! (one officer at a time). Hopefully the "System" now won't drop the ball and get this kid the proper care and nurturing she deserves! Loving Hugs Talia

Entrapment

joannebarbarella's picture

But for all the right reasons. You can only ever save them one at a time. It's great to see a cop trying.

Sometimes...

When it really gets bad enough...and you have a little luck...you get to save yourself.

Can't save them all but at

Can't save them all but at least you can try and just helping one is better than helping none.

Five years ago I had to listen to a teen prostition case as a grand juror and reading this pisses me off as the girls who were involved I heard got involved because they were bored and wanted money while girls like the one in this story get involved because they have no alternative or are forced. It's work the streets or starve.

Thank goodness for people like this officer, she is a saint and needs people who see that she is right not those who are lazy or apathetic to be around her.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Looking For Light

It is an interesting dilemma, when you are selling your body for money. I guess the girl should be thankful that is one night she won't end up with a tag on her toe. This was written very well and the drama kept me reading this short story. Thank you, 'Drea for sharing.

With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward.

Barbara Lynn Terry

"If I have to be this girl ion me, Then I have the right to be."

New beginning

Jamie Lee's picture

Sometimes new beginnings come in unexpected ways. Ways which, at first, seem scary.

After so much darkness it's rather blinding when light is finally found. One small light is better than no light at all.

Others have feelings too.

Short with a Bite

BarbieLee's picture

Lots of emotion wrapped up in so few words of a well written tale.
Nicely done
always
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl