Missing Person

Printer-friendly version

PHOTO A.jpg


MISSING PERSON

(c) 2016 by Nom de Plume

The long awaited, much anticipated sequel to Misstaken Identity: can a message in a bottle solve a murder?

He woke up early after a sound night’s sleep, his first in memory. There was something about the waves, the sound they made as they rolled onto the broad sandy beach, that always soothed him. That, and the fact that it was thirty degrees cooler than the weather he’d left behind in Salem. Sleeping without air conditioning, with the windows open to the fresh sea air, was better than any sleeping pill.

It had been a frustrating month for Detective Hal Wallace of the Oregon State Police. The fruitless search for a hiker lost on Mount Hood during a freak spring snowstorm, and the unsolved murder of a young intern for a Portland television station, had both bedeviled him, and he was beginning to wonder if it was time for him to look for another line of work. A long weekend on the Oregon coast had been prescribed by his sympathetic supervisor, who offered him the keys to her beach house in Lincoln City, and he’d jumped at the chance to escape the impending heatwave for a few days.

He knew that the crowds would be arriving early as day trippers flocked to the coast to cool off, and a check of the tide table confirmed that low tide was in a few minutes. So he threw on shorts and a hooded sweatshirt and walked across the street to a long, winding staircase that deposited him on the deserted beach. He’d traveled a lot in his youth, and he’d never seen a more stunning coastline than the stretch of Oregon between Cannon Beach and Bandon, where monumental rock formations sprang out of the sea, and massive trees washed up occasionally after a Pacific storm.

Kicking off his flip flops, he started to stroll along the broad beach. He wasn’t looking for anything in particular, perhaps a nice agate or a conch shell to add to his collection, when he spied the bottle, floating a few feet offshore. It looked to be a large wine bottle, with a red top and something white inside. Curious, he stepped into the waves and picked it up. The red top was a glob of old-fashioned sealing wax covering the cork, and inside there appeared to be several sheets of paper, coiled and held together by a rubber band.

The detective in him was naturally intrigued. He stuffed it into the pouch in the front of his sweatshirt. Perhaps he’d open it after he finished his walk along the beach.

* * *

I hated my driver’s license photo!

When I threw my fake license together, I’d settled for an old picture of me as a guy, but with long enough hair to make my sex questionable. Now that I was living full-time as a woman, my vanity was such that I absolutely had to have a better picture on it. Fortunately, I’d saved the template I created in Chicago as a file on my new email server, so after I settled into my condo on Sanibel Island, I posed for a passport photo at drugstore in Fort Meyers, then on to a FEDEX store to create a new license with my smiling face.

Before I left, I surfed the web once again for any news of the missing hiker on Mount Hood (me) or the murdered intern at KOIN who had been my friend. There was nothing to be found, and I figured that the old me was already forgotten, except by the drug lords who knew that I’d stolen three million dollars from their bank account, and probably assumed that I’d faked my death on the mountain.

So far I’d kept one step ahead of them. After I left Tampa, I’d pulled onto the freeway and headed south, exiting at Fort Meyers where I had a bite at a fast food restaurant (a woman dining alone was no big deal at such places) before I continued over the causeway to Sanibel Island. I’d read about Sanibel years before, and it had always fascinated me: an island on the Gulf Coast, it ran east to west, which positioned it to trap a never-ending supply of fantastic seashells on its miles of sandy beaches. It was relatively isolated, and most of the occupants were very rich, living there during the winter months and closing up their homes and condos when the summer heat set in. There was a wide range of hotel accommodations, as well as furnished residences available for short and long term rental, and I was interested in a condo on Middle Gulf Drive that had a view of the Gulf and was a short walk from the beach, if the listing I’d spotted on the Internet was to be believed.

So I pulled into a realtor’s office and presented myself to the pretty young receptionist. “What a lovely dress,” she exclaimed, and I smiled back at her. I was beginning to feel the sisterhood that women instinctively radiated towards one another.

“Thanks, I got it in Tampa yesterday.” Then I whispered, “On sale at the outlets.” She laughed. “I’m interested in this listing.” I handed her the address on a scrap of paper. “Is it still on the market?”

“Let’s find out.” She excused herself, and returned in a few minutes with a stunning realtor, who was probably in her late thirties, but who possessed a perfect figure, and only a few tell-tale lines on her lovely face. But I felt nothing in my panties. Had my night with Ryan tapped me out? Or was I already past the point of no return?

After we introduced ourselves, she invited me to a small conference room. I smoothed my dress as I sat down, crossing my legs self-consciously – this was my first one-on-one encounter lasting more than a few seconds with another woman, and I wondered if she’d penetrate my disguise?

She didn’t. “You’re in luck,” she said. “The owners of that unit just packed up and returned to their home in Pennsylvania. It’s available next week – right now it’s occupied by an elderly couple who’ve been spending this week there for the last several years, I think it’s their anniversary – but after that it’s wide open till June. The minimum rental is one week. It’s a popular unit, so if you’re interested I suggest you move fast.”

“So if I wanted it starting next week and wanted to stay there for a month, what kind of discount would they give me for a 30 day lease?” The weekly rent was a fortune, but the unit was perfect, at the end of an isolated lane so nobody could approach without being seen – I’d surreptitiously checked it out after I drove onto the island. If I could stay there till summer, by then I ought to be able to find something more permanent, assuming I decided to stay in Sanibel.

She got the owners on their cellphone, and after a quick conversation she reported that they were willing to knock a few hundred dollars off the rent. Done!

* * *

Island life definitely agreed with me. After a few weeks, I’d settled into a daily routine: up at dawn for a jog in a sports bra, tank top and running skirt on one of the bike paths that circled the island, and then floor exercises to tighten my abs and butt, followed by a light breakfast on my screened lanai (I’d become hooked on donuts with key lime filling) and my daily feminizing routines (keeping my body shaved and moisturized, my toenails a bright pink and a myriad of other female ablutions) before I put on a woman’s swimsuit to lay out with a fashion magazine (I had so much to learn!) by the small pool next to my condo until it got too hot, then I’d take a dip in the pool, lay out some more and finally, if it was close to low tide, I’d walk to the beach and lose myself in the search for seashells, which were endlessly abundant and gorgeous beyond belief. After I returned to my condo with my treasures, and fixed myself a light lunch on my lanai, I’d take a little siesta during the hottest part of the day, followed by a relaxing bubble bath after I washed and conditioned my hair, then after I dried my hair, I’d put on shorts and a girly tee shirt for my daily bike ride (on a beach cruiser provided by the unit’s owners) to Jerry’s market.

I’d never been much of a cook, but I had a lot of time on my hands, and it seemed so right for me to put on an apron and whip up something special in the kitchen. I did a lot of daydreaming, and I wondered if I’d ever have the chance to make dinner for a boyfriend like Randy? We’d actually exchanged a few emails, and he seemed to enjoy flirting with me, but I was careful not to tell him where I lived, and it was unlikely that I’d ever spend the night with him in Tampa, if his apartment was as bad as he said.

So I kept looking for things that I could do as a single woman. I became a mall rat, driving over the causeway to air conditioned malls where I’d spend hours trying on cute outfits until my closet was jammed with skirts, tops and dresses, not to mention shoes! I bought a set of second-hand women’s golf clubs on Craigslist, a skort, polo shirt and a pair of Lady Footjoys at a golf discount store, and played a few times in the early evening after the heat died down, which was a blast off the ladies tees, but eventually the bugs got to me. One night, out of desperation and loneliness, I put on my shortest skirt and tried my luck at a tribal casino on the mainland, and I even won a few dollars at the slots, but I was afraid to respond to the few guys who tried to hit on me, for fear that they’d kick my ass once they discovered that I was really a guy.

So loneliness aside, I was happy with my new life, and I truly loved being a woman. Life seemed to pass by at a slower pace, and all the little things that a woman has to do to make it through the day filled me with a strange contentment. With every passing day, it became clearer to me that this was the person I was meant to be, and I knew that I could never go back to being a man, even if I didn’t have a price on my head.

During one of my shopping trips, I bought myself a laptop computer, and in addition to trolling the real estate sites for a permanent residence on Sanibel, I spent a lot of time doing research about my old life in Oregon. It seems that I was presumed dead after the search for me had finally been called off (at a cost to the taxpayers of almost a million dollars) and there continued to be no leads into the killing of the KOIN intern. I’ve never had much of a conscience, but maybe there was a way that I could help the police pin Andy’s murder on the goons who wanted to kill me, and correct the ledger on faking my death in the process….

I also spent an hour each day writing these memoirs.

* * *

After he climbed up the stairs from the beach, Detective Wallace made himself coffee in the kitchen of his smartly furnished beach house, before he turned his attention to the bottle. There was definitely a note inside – more like a long letter on several sheets of paper – and after carefully peeling off the sealing wax and popping out the cork, he extracted the contents with the help of a long spoon handle from one of the kitchen drawers. He removed the rubber band, unrolled the missive – it was even longer than he thought – sat down in a comfortable chair, and started to read.

His hands were shaking by the time he got to the second page. Whoever wrote this had just solved the two cases he was working on! It was inadmissible as evidence, but if he could find the mysterious author, and follow up on these leads, he’d be able to put a vicious murderer behind bars, and some badass drug dealers out of business. And he had to admit, there was something fascinating about the person who was telling him all this: a man who had faked his death and decided to turn himself into a woman. It was almost too fantastic to believe. Had he actually gone through with it? Detective Wallace felt himself becoming strangely aroused as he continued to read….
* * *

A few days before my lease expired, I packed up most of my new wardrobe into several large boxes and left them in a storage locker I’d rented in Fort Meyers. Under the layers of female clothing, almost two million dollars in cash was stashed at the bottom of the boxes. I took my time packing my suitcase – it took a lot of thought to make sure I included all the things a woman needed – and before I left I asked my realtor to keep her eye out for a small condo similar to the one I’d been renting.

Then it was time to head north, to Tampa Bay, where a certain someone was waiting for me. A pretty girl in a hot convertible attracts a lot of attention, and I indulged the guys who honked at me by waving gaily back. I wondered if Randy would notice the subtle changes that I’d undergone: my body was a bit thinner and a lot tighter after 200 crunches a day, and bikini lines accented my deep Florida tan. I hadn’t yet taken the plunge with female hormones, but I knew that it was only a matter of time….

I was wearing a nautical dress with matching flats, and I figured if Randy didn’t have an erection when he saw me, he was right about turning gay. I needn’t have worried. He was waiting for me in the restaurant of the hotel where we’d met, looking just as gorgeous as I remembered. Once again, we bantered over the menu like were total strangers, although with enough double-entendres and whispered word play to make our intentions known.

“Has the lady decided on something to drink?”

“Before or after dinner?”

“Naughty girl! Before.”

“A glass of your most expensive Chardonnay.”

“We’re moving up in the world.”

“I haven’t been out in almost a month.”

“Now I know what I’m drinking after dinner.”

I know, it all sounds so silly, but we were giddy at the sight of each other, and I could hardly eat, I was so desperate to have him back in my bed again. For old times’ sake, I’d reserved the same room where he took my virginity, and when he tapped on the door later that evening, I was wearing the same sexy nightgown. I watched with alarm as he tore off his clothes and practically leaped into bed. That night, I think he taught me every position in the Kama Sutra, plus a few others that were more suited to our particular anatomies….

It wasn’t love, it was pure, sweet lust, and after each round, as our bodies slowly built up steam for more, we teased each other back and forth, almost like best friends. In the raw, we both might have been guys, but in my nightgown, with my long hair, tanlines and pink toenails, I looked and felt totally feminine, which seemed to bring out the animal in Randy. I can’t explain the attraction, nor do I understand why he was so attracted to me, but that doesn’t really matter. For the second magical night, we had sex until we wore ourselves out, and when he finally left me shortly before dawn, I felt totally fulfilled.

* * *

The next morning, I headed north, and then northwest, towards Oregon. I tried to steer clear of southern states which had issues with transgendered persons, although after living full time as a woman for over a month, I was entirely confident in my appearance and mannerisms, and never encountered a problem.

The drive took four days, so I had a lot of time to think about what I was going to do. Settling the score with the authorities who spent $867,000 searching for me on Mount Hood (I confirmed the amount searching the Internet) would be the easy part. Pinning Andy’s murder on the bosses at my old company would be much harder. After I disappeared, they must have hired a new IT professional, who’d installed an impregnable firewall which prevented me from accessing their server and downloading evidence of their crimes. But I still had my old email address, and the day I crossed the Oregon border, I sent this message to the CEO from the business center of my hotel in Medford:

I know who killed Andy Moffatt. For a price, I can keep it to myself. Meet me at the top of Cape Kiwanda on Saturday morning at ten with one million dollars in small bills. Come alone.

Of course, once he saw that the email came from me, he’d instantly realize that I’m still alive, and his erroneous suspicion that I was the one who ratted him out to KOIN will be confirmed. I don’t expect him to come with a million dollars, and I don’t expect him to come alone. In fact, I don’t expect him to come at all – no doubt he’ll send the goon who killed Andy. Rather, my plan is to be waiting at Cape Kiwanda as a girl, and to video whoever shows up while he waits for the old me. The video, combined with the fact that he responded to the incriminating email I sent to my old boss, ought to be enough to put them both away.

After I left Medford this morning, I drove up Interstate 5 until I got to the Woodburn outlets. It will be overcast and cool tomorrow on the Oregon coast, and I need something that will keep me warm and won’t stand out. Something casual. Eventually I put together a woodsy outfit consisting of a gray tunic dress, a short black jacket, leggings and a pair of black skimmer flats.

I had one more stop before I drove over the coast range: in Salem, I left a banker’s box containing $867,000 with a security guard at the headquarters of the Oregon State Police, with an anonymous note wishing that the contribution be used to help offset the cost of searching for missing hikers in the Cascades. Then I drove to Lincoln City, a beach town a few miles south of Cape Kiwanda, and checked into a nondescript motel.

Now it’s time for me to put these memoirs into a wine bottle, seal it up tight, and commit it to the waves. I’m no expert, but I’m hoping that if I throw it beyond the breakers at low tide tonight, it’ll catch a current and wind up in Japan some day. By then, maybe I’ll have lived out my life as a woman? Whatever happens to me tomorrow, my conscience will be clear.

* * *

Detective Wallace sprang out of his chair. The little fool! He – or she – had tossed that bottle into the Pacific last night, only twelve hours ago. He knew this, because he was still in the office when the anonymous contribution of over eight hundred thousand dollars was dropped off yesterday afternoon. It had created quite a stir, and everyone was talking about the beautiful woman who delivered it.

What time was it? Shit, it was after 9:30! Less than half an hour until her rendezvous with the vicious killer who’d been eluding him for over a month! What if she was walking into a trap? He grabbed his gun and raced for his unmarked police car. Fortunately, most of the traffic was headed in the other direction, beachgoers on their way to Lincoln City, but he had to turn on his flashers and run a couple of lights as he raced up the Coast Highway.

As he screeched into the parking lot at the Pelican Pub and Brewery, he spotted an Audi S5 convertible with Florida plates. Damn, she was really here! There was a small crowd on the beach, and a few adventurous climbers making their way up the dunes to the top of the cape. Statistically speaking, this was one of the most dangerous places in Oregon, as several times a year hikers would plunge to their deaths into the ocean after ignoring warning signs and fences on their way up. He thought he could make out a man and a woman near the top…she was wearing a gray dress with a black jacket, and the man appeared to be holding something in his hand. A gun.

Detective Wallace had been on the track team at the University of Oregon, not a star by any means, but he’d kept in shape, and he put his head down and raced up the steep slope with a sprinter’s speed. He’d closed to within fifty yards when the assassin saw him, and Wallace dove to the ground as the assassin’s gun swiveled in his direction. Meanwhile the girl seemed to lunge at the assassin, momentarily throwing off his aim, until he pushed her back hard towards the sandstone cliff. It started to give way beneath her feet, and Wallace heard her scream as he rolled into a crouch and pulled out his gun. A bullet whistled past his ear, and when he returned fire, his aim was deadly. The assassin’s head exploded, and his body fell lifelessly over the cliff into the churning Pacific.

Wallace got up and ran towards where he had heard the woman scream. She was dangling over the cliff, her legs kicking futilely in the air as her hands scrabbled helplessly against the crumbling sandstone. He reached down and caught her just in time, grasping one of her hands. “Hang on, Kim. Stop kicking! Just let me pull.” She felt herself being drawn up against the cliff, as if she were ascending to Heaven. When she was up, she collapsed next to him on top of the cliff.

“You saved my life.”

“You saved mine,” he panted. He couldn’t take his eyes off her. She was incredibly beautiful.

“How did you know my name?”

“I read the message in your bottle.”

“But how…”

“It would appear that you’re not an expert on the tides.” His breathing was slowly returning to normal.

Her hands went up to her face. “Then you know….”

“I know. I also know that you’re a hero. Or a heroine, I guess.”

“Who are you?”

He pulled out his badge. “I’m the detective who’s been searching for you for the past month, and trying to figure out who killed Andrew Moffatt.”

“Am I going to jail?”

He laughed. “No, you’re not going to jail, Kim. You’ve already made restitution for the trouble you caused on Mount Hood. And thanks to you, we’ve solved the Moffatt case” – he glanced over the cliff towards the body floating by the rocks – “and after they fell for your clever email, we’re going to be able to put your old friends away for good.”

“But what about the money I stole?”

“I don’t think that will ever be reported, do you? As far as I’m concerned, that was just an intracompany transfer. The state police aren’t in the business of solving crimes that never happened.”

She got unsteadily to her feet. “What happens now?”

“I’ve got some work to do.” He pulled out his cellphone. “And I’m starving. After I phone this in, why don’t we walk down to the Pelican for a bowl of crab chowder? It’s going to be a busy day.”

up
152 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nicely done followup!

Nicely done followup!

She risked everything to ensure that justice was done for her friend. Hard not to claim there wasn't a connection to the assassin when the where and when is in the email so thankfully her life should be safe from now on as I doubt the scum who tried to kill her will be stupid enough to try to kill her again. Hopefully she lives a long, full life as either a female or male now that she doesn't have to hide anymore.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

A really great ending, and I

A really great ending, and I am actually glad that she brought it all to a close where it all started, in Oregon. Cannon Beach and the surrounding beaches are indeed beautiful to go, see and walk on. Throw in a little clam digging at low tides and it is the best. One of my favorite areas is the Tillamook region along the Oregon Coast line. You get both the beaches, and get to go taste testing of cheeses and ice creams. Yummm!