Gene's Story or How I Gained a Cousin Chapter 63

Printer-friendly version
Ellen and Jinny.jpg
Gene's Story
or How I Gained a Cousin

A novel by Karen Lockhart


Copyright 2016
 



It's funny how things happen to change your life and the way you look at things



CHAPTER 63

The receptionist must have thought we were crazy; two girls hugging and crying and jumping up and down. We made so much noise Doctor Braun came out to see just what was going on in her lobby. She gave us a big smile, “Nice to see a patient who's tears are from joy for a change.”

I apologized, but Ginny thanked the doctor, the receptionist, and would have thanked the elevator operator if there had been one.

As we made our way to the car I asked where she would like to have supper to celebrate the good news.

“You won't believe this, but how does 'The Outback' sound? I'd love to eat at Red Lobster, but no-one knows where they are. Why do they run ads for the Boston area, if there aren't any restaurants within two hundred miles?”

“Okay 'The Outback' it is. It's on Route 114 near the shopping mall, correct?”

We drove out of the medical building's parking lot and headed for US Route 1. All we talked about was Ginny's letter, she must have read it to me a dozen times.

I finally realized just how much this meant to her, and how much tension she had been under, but she had covered it up well; her calm facade never slipping until Doctor Braun's office.

We arrived at the restaurant, thankful to finally be out of the homeward rush hour traffic along Route 114. Looking around at the massive snow mountains in the parking lot, I was happy I wasn't the one to decide where to place them. This parking lot is usually full with Christmas shoppers; how many spaces were being taken up by plowed snow?

Ginny and I were seated quickly. We were ahead of the supper crowd, but not the frazzled mother with wild children who ate too much sugar crowd. The waitress took pity on us and placed us at a table as far away as possible from the noise and shenanigans by those 'cute' cherubs. She received a very nice tip!

Ginny and I ordered drinks, a tall Bloody Mary with a long stalk of celery for me and a Cosmopolitan for her. She informed me that this was going to be the first of many so she gave me the keys to her car.

The conversation quickly went to the following day's riding lessons, something else Ginny was excited about. I asked her just how much she had ridden as Gene.

“I used to ride all the time, I owned my own Quarter Horse. I rode western, but the principles are the same. Funny, when I was a kid, I wanted to barrel race, but couldn't.”

“Ginny, I've got all kinds of questions, but why couldn't you barrel race?”

“Simple, barrel racing is only for girls,” Ginny giggled, “No problem now.”

That got me laughing too. Our drinks were delivered, and our waitress took our meal order.
We got one of those “Blooming Onions” for an appetizer, and we both ordered steaks, medium
well done.

“So, you're saying you really can ride, and you were faking it? I'm not sure how Cathy will take that.”

Ginny paused in devouring the onion and answered, “I really was nervous around horses and had a balance problem. When I was fourteen my horse went over backwards on top of me, I had bad concussion and a broken pelvis. The concussion gave me an inner ear problem that affected my balance for years afterwards. I meant nothing by being over-cautious; then I was embarrassed to tell you and Cathy.”

I could see our dinners coming, so I waited to respond to that until our steaks were in front of us We pounced on them with sharp knives and appetites.

“You shouldn't feel bad about not telling us, but sometime tomorrow, I think you need to have a heart to heart with Cathy.”

“That's not going ruin my mood tonight! Waitress, can we have another round please? Yeah, I'm telling her the story before my lesson.”

By this time the steaks had disappeared , only a grease mark was left from the onion, and we needed another drink, but mine was a Virgin Mary, no vodka, I still had to drive home! Not Ginny though, she ordered her third Cosmopolitan.

“So, Ginny you have a letter from Doctor Braun, on Monday you see Doctor Singh, are you going to ask her too if you're ready for the GRS?”

“Yesth, that's my plan.” She was slurring by now. “But that's not a prob, problem.”

I was laughing now. ”Okay, you've had enough, we are going home. Put on your coat while I pay our waitress.”

We giggled our way back to Ginny's car. She started to get in behind the wheel, but I turned her around to the passenger side, and opened the door for her.

The ride home was a series of short stories filled with Ginny's constant giggling. No matter how hard I tried, she was contagious! By the time we got to Peabody Square, I was laughing myself.

We got inside without a problem, but the giggles started again as soon as we sat on the sofa. “Will these last all night?” I asked, “We'll never sleep.”

Ginny stood up, and headed for the kitchen,”I'm having tea, would you like some?”

“Anything,” I answered. “Maybe that will end this giggle party.”

She had the kettle whistling in no time, and came into the living room with two large mugs of tea. “Anything good on television tonight” she asked.

“That police show with Tom Seleck, and the guy from Cambridge Donnie Walburg, but that's not until 10pm.”

Ginny suggested we watch the news, then change the channel to the cop show. That gave her a while to internet surf, and for me to read my book. I was getting close to finishing that one, and was going to have to order another one from Amazon soon.

Morales' plight was the Number One story on the news that night. They were talking about the mystery of the unmanned outboard, and linked him to the drug dealers on the Northshore. They also questioned whether he was connected with the latest drug busts on the motorcycle gang and the trucking company in Newburyport.

At that, Ginny perked up and started to listen and said, “Yes, he's connected with the trucking company, just ask me, I'll talk your ears off!”

“Ginny be careful what you wish, it may come true. That would bring your change of identity and gender to the public, and you know how the news would love to spread your life choice across every newscast and newspaper. You'll be called everything including gay, lesbian, and every kind of child molester, and don't be surprised if they pick on your friendship with Tina. They could have a ball with that!”

Ginny gave that some thought. “I wonder if we can talk Tina into calling the State Police and offering them access to her father's desk like she said to us?”

“Speaking of Tina, why don't you give her a call to see how she's doing. She said she wasn't coming to her lesson for a couple of weeks. Maybe you can ask if she called the Staties about the desk while you two are gabbing.”

Looking at the time, 9.30, Ginny said, “Why not, plenty of time before “Bluebloods” comes on.”

“That's the show's name, good memory kiddo.”

While I finished reading the last chapter of my book, Ginny called Tina. It seemed to be a relaxed two-way phone call. After ending the call, Ginny went into the kitchen for more tea.

“You look thoughtful, what did Tina have to say?”

“When she got home, the door was unlocked. Not only that, but the contents of her father's desk were all in disarray. She couldn't tell if any thing was missing, but things looked the same as when we were there.”

“Is she okay, does she want to stay with us again? Has she called the police?” I asked, rapid fire.

“Slow down, I asked if she wanted someone to stay with her, or if she wanted to stay here. She said 'no' to both questions. She called the local police, but since nothing was missing, they just blew it off.”

As I digested this news, Ginny spoke again, “Tina did call Captain Smith's office, but Smith hasn't called her back yet. I told her to call again, except this time call his cell number.”

Before I could reply, her cell phone rang again. Ginny picked up, “It's Tina.”


To be continued

Many thanks to Bronwen Welsh for her help in correcting typos and errors in grammar
up
192 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

oh no

jennifer breanna's picture

the hanger du cliff. Nice chapter.

---- Jenni

At least they don't ask if

At least they don't ask if they can butterfly it !

but in their defense, the

but in their defense, the blooming onion is likely to be more like particle board than the steak itself! ;)

Sorry, old joke that my father once made about the franchise(he hated them!)

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Sacrilege! Everyone knows

Sacrilege! Everyone knows that the Wahlbergs are from Dorchester not Cambridge! Cambridge is where Afflack and Damon are from ;)

Anyway, I think something is seriously up with Tin and it's not good. My gut tells me she's either a target or she knows more than she is saying. I just don't trust her or anyone around her.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

The Wahlbergs are from

The Wahlbergs are from Dorchester, but the Walbergs are from Cambridge. ;-)

Karen

Touche. You are right ;)

Touche. You are right ;)

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

I didn't want to be sued by

I didn't want to be sued by one of the Wahlbergs , so,here is the Cambridge family, none of which were in a band, or own a restaurant.

Karen.

Oh right Dan Walberg plays

Oh right Dan Walberg plays the villain on the show, not the commissioner's son!

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Good story love it

Good story love it

WIN_20151023_13_56_29_Pro.jpg

The plot is

Renee_Heart2's picture

Getting thicker with the morals case. I'm happy for Genny
I look foward to.more

Love Samantha Renee Heart

GASP!

Tine will reveal that she is carrying her father's child!

The Only Thing Outback

joannebarbarella's picture

About Outback would be the dunny. No Aussie that I've met likes the chain. We all consider it to be sailing under false colours.
That apart, another fine episode with a bit of a cliffhanger ending. Soon we will know the truth....it's out there!

It's like the boat, Boston

It's like the boat, Boston Whaler. Never made in Boston, And Never used for whaling.
Didn't Outback show up at the same time as Crocodile Dundee?

Happy dance

Jamie Lee's picture

Was Ginny happy or what? She had people worried until they saw she was happy. And celebrating with a steak seems appropriate. And of course it was necessary to bend the elbow as well. Good idea of Ginny's to hand over the keys to the car.

Being afraid of a 2000 pound animal after it fell on Gene is totally understandable. And Ginny has done a wonderful job getting back into the saddle.

Tina's house being unlocked is not a good sign. It doesn't help the police blew it off, they'd feel terrible if someone would find Tina dead on the floor. Whoever went through the desk did a good job making it look like it hadn't been searched.

She really should stay with the girls.

Others have feelings too.