The Ribbon

Printer-friendly version
The Ribbon

by Ceri

“We’re a sorry pair of sissies aren’t we?” Alex joked, looking at their tattered khaki uniforms, caked with blood and dust.

Mrs Leander Kester considered charitable acts de rigueur for a woman of her station. While any arriviste might scatter alms, she believed the greatest benefit one could bestow upon the poor, was to provide an example of industry and rectitude. To this end, each Sunday after church, she would proceed with the grace and inevitability of a Cunarder, through the town’s meanest quarter, so that even the humblest could witness the fruits of her husband’s labours. The undisguised, if unvoiced, scorn of people, who were seldom much farther from the workhouse than a pawn ticket, served only to reinforce her belief that poverty was turpitude’s reward.

Bobbing in the wake of Mrs Kester’s considerable bustle were the fruits of her labours; Alice, aged ten, and Albert, two years her senior. Insufficiently inoculated with their mother’s prejudice, the paupers’ manifest contempt drove the children close to each other, where their quietly continued their squabble; as was usually the case, it had no particular reason beyond sibling enmity.

Daughter of a matriarchal household, and fired with a passion that would one day find her chained to Buckingham Palace’s gates, Alice aimed to provoke her brother into an outburst sufficient to earn their mother’s wrath. For his part Albert sniped, to score a petty point - or two - before punishment descended; whatever that was, it could be no worse than the sailor suit in which he had been dressed that morning.

Although he would not dare admit it to another soul, the difference in their clothes rankled. Mrs Kester dressed Albert, as she dressed her husband, in greys and sober tweeds; however, Mr Kester had been spared nautical attire — a rare triumph for the Kester men. By contrast, Alice had her every whim indulged, no expense spared or hidden: cotton would not serve when there was silk, richly coloured and always trimmed with lace. According to the stricture of the day, children should be seen and not heard - around Alice, Albert was neither.

“Give it back!” Tearing the ribbon from his sister’s hair was a spiteful move, and holding it out of reach even more so. Against the blue of the sky, the ribbon appeared green, but only marginally so; when compared to a dandelion straggling from between cobbles, the only greenery in the street, it appeared blue. Whether this was due to the dye makers’ art, or the material’s natural iridescence, Albert did not know, he was content to watch as the colours shifted, whichever way the wind shifted.

“Albert Alexander Kester!” Sharp words, hissed in the same tone his mother used around the help, brought him back to his surroundings with a jolt. Alice seeing her chance half tore the ribbon from Albert’s grip, but it was whipped away on the wind landing at the feet of a barefooted boy, twenty yards distant. She started back to retrieve it and was pulled up short by a peremptory ‘leave it’ from Mrs Kester. Before being dragged away, Albert turned to see the boy fish the ribbon from the gutter, holding at as he had, so that the light caught it at different angles.

* * * * *

Second-lieutenant Alex Kester pressed his nose into the parched veldt as fervently as the most devout Mussulman’s salaam he had seen in the East. While praying, however, it was no act of piety, but the simple necessity of placing his body, as far as he was able, beneath the bullets cracking overhead. No one had warned him what marksmen the Boers were, or what persistent hunters. They had been tracking him since bringing down his horse, watching for every stir in the long grass where he had taken shelter.

There was no love lost between British lancers and the Cape Dutch farmers; to an Imperial cavalryman they were treacherous irregulars, who would expect to surrender seconds after shooting his comrades, to them Alex was a spear wielding murderer, no better than the despised Zulus. Five of his six man patrol, had already fallen in the ambuscade at the ford, the Mausers’ smokeless cartridges concealing their assailants, and giving the lancers no chance to return fire.

Thankfully, the Boers had stayed on the far bank, showing no inclination to beat him out of cover — he was leaving spoor enough to track if they did. Alex could have remained hidden, the wound in his thigh was bleeding only slowly, and the rest of the force would come up in a few hours. Gunfire in the distance, however, told him that the infantry was heavily engaged farther up the Modder, and information about a lightly defended crossing on the flank could be vital. Ignoring the pain in his leg, he half crawled, half burrowed toward his own lines.

* * * * *

Luke Hodge realised he was not dead an instant before feeling his hand being prised open. “Gerroff,” he muttered, pulling back his hand, and blindly half rising.

“For Christ’s sake man, stay down,” a voice hissed, followed shortly by the crack of a nearby bullet’s passing.

Opening his eyes Hodge found himself face to face with another British soldier, an officer by his accent, but grimy as any pit boy at shift’s end. “Sorry Sir, I thought yo’re one of ‘em thieving sods from t’ambulance.” As if taking hint, the officer released Hodge’s hand.

“What’s your unit,” the lieutenant’s — he was still showing a pip on one epaulette - voice was urgent, not quite panicked, “where are the rest?”

“Loyal’s Sir, an’ them as not lying here ‘bouts,” Corporal Hodge kept his voice steady, the subaltern looked edgy, “would’ve run for t’stand of trees a way back.”

“Good man,” the officer smiled encouragingly, “can you lead me back?”

“Like as I can, but gi’ us a minute,” the corporal laughed softly, his surprisingly good teeth flashing from a mask of blood, “I’ve been shot in t’head yo' know.”

* * * * *

After an hour crawling on his stomach under a high sun, Alex was not entirely certain of the direction he was taking, if he was heading away from the river, or even in circles. His map case, and compass had been attached to his saddle, as had his canteen. Fighting a way through the veldt’s coarse vegetation, he had dispensed with his Sam Browne, preferring to carry his Webley in hand after a chilling confrontation with a large brown snake. Hope arrived with English voices on the wind, how near he could not tell, but closer than the battlefield, and its continual dull crump of artillery.

Determined to regain his own lines Lieutenant Kester crawled in the direction of the voices, even after a fresh volley of rifle fire silenced them. Blessing the Boer snipers’ wandering attention, Alex was able to rise a few inches from the dirt, and make better progress. The first corpse came as surprise, its eyes still open beneath the hole neatly drilled in the infantryman’s forehead. Alex had seen dead bodies before, no regimental field day went by without one trooper breaking his neck, and beggars lay where they perished in the streets of India, but this was the young soldier’s first intimate — no more than a hand’s breadth — contact with death. Shaken, Alex crawled on wondering if a similar fate awaited him that day.

By contrast the fallen corporal’s face seemed almost peaceful, despite being awash with blood; his eyes were closed, his expression calm, almost resigned. Not wishing to intrude on this very private end, Alex passed on as quickly as he was able until brought up short by the man’s outstretched fist, or rather, the length of faded blue-green ribbon wound about it. Any reminder of home, no matter how trivial, or how transitory, can drive all thought of danger from a man’s mind. Alex began to unwrap the dead corporal’s still warm fingers from their prize. Luke Hodge’s subsequent resurrection came as almost as much of a surprise to Alex, as it had to the corporal.

* * * * *

A livid gash across Hodge’s temple indicated a bullet graze, wound enough to drop a man where he stood, but the greater part of the blood came from a nicked ear; a lucky escape, perhaps, if they could regain their own lines. As always, Alex was impressed by the non-com’s composure — nothing ever seemed to rattle British NCOs. Calmly, Hodge gave him a brief report of the battle so far: the Guards Brigade had been stopped by long range musketry while advancing on the Modder, and the Ninth Brigade — of which he was a part - had then been deployed on the left in a flanking manoeuvre. Advancing across broken terrain and under sporadic fire, Hodge’s platoon had lost contact with the Yorkshires on their right, but their commander had them press on for the river until brought down five hundred yards short of its banks.

Alex listened intently, although his mind was still half on what the other man clutched. Hodge’s accent was more than familiar in the Kester household; no family member ever spoke so, but their servants did. Very few of his sister’s clothes came from the area; everything but cotton his mother bought in Preston not Betherswick, and even had a local store kept stock, he doubted Hodge’s means ran to imported silk ribbon. So where had he obtained such a frippery, and what significance did it hold for him that he brought it half way around the world?

“That’s a good question Sir,” Hodge said, pocketing the ribbon, “there were this woman, reet snooty, used to parade down t’road every Sunday with her childer — t’lass dressed up like cake shop window, and t’lad...”

“In a sailor’s suit,” Alex finished to Hodge’s evident surprise, “that was me, Corporal.”

“Crikey, Admiral Albert!” Alex winced at his hated first name, and confirmation of the derision he had earned, “sorry Sir, no disrespect like, that’s what we called yo’.” Equally struck by the coincidence, both men stared at each other in silence.

“So, you were the boy who picked it up?” Hodge nodded, “Why have you kept it, for what, ten years?”

“Yo’r Mam did us a favour Mr Kester, Sir,” the corporal’s voice was suddenly sober, “I never knew people were so rich they could afford to throw fancy things away in t’street, but I knew I’d not be that rich if I stayed where I were,” he took a drink from his canteen before passing it to Alex, “not as half-timer in t’mill any road, so I signed up for a drummer boy in t’Loyals t’next day.”

“My mother would be very pleased to hear that Corporal Hodge.” Alex smiled, she would indeed, but not perhaps, that it was an act of waste, not thrift, that had been Hodge’s inspiration; he looked forward to telling her — if he ever had a chance to.

* * * * *

”You’re not telling me you admired my sailor suit are you Corporal?” Both men had crawled to within sight of Hodge’s ‘stand of trees’, though that was a rather grand description for a straggling baobab, and a clump of withered bushes.

“Oh aye Mr Kester, reet fancy it was; mind yo’ I’d never had a pair of britches t’wind didn’t blow through - both ways.” Corporal Hodge allowed himself a laugh, offending his betters’ sensibilities was a vice he never turned down an opportunity to indulge. Offending his own was the thirty yard stretch of bare veldt before them; it would have made a good — if fast — wicket, if cleared of a few small rocks, and the body of Private Henderson. Just how a man with a leg wound, and another seeing double, could cross it without being shot was the puzzle.

“Do yo’ march in t’Lancers, Mr Kester?”

“Occasionally,” Alex answered, mystified by this turn in the conversation, “why?”

“Well Sir, if we’re to get across yon bit o’ground, we need three legs to work like two...”, and he briefly sketched how he would support Alex, while they double-timed to cover, “all we’ll be needing is summat to keep t’Boers busy.” ‘Summat’, however, was desperately lacking, and the two young soldiers faced up to a suicidal race to safety, trusting only to fortune. It was a time for last words, for confessions even, and it really did not matter what was said as neither was likely to live long enough to pass it on.

“It weren’t yo’r suit I was jealous of Mr Kester.” Alex turned his head to face Corporal Hodge, who was ashen, where blood allowed skin to show, at least. “It were yo’r sister’s. Sounds daft don’t it - a lad in lass’s clothes - but I always wanted to know what it felt like. That’s why I kept t’ribbon.”

“It felt wonderful Corporal, bloody wonderful,” Hodge’s shocked expression might be the last thing Alex would ever enjoyed, and there was little time to savour it, “even if I was thrashed when I was caught - and I was. Mother said the army would make a man of me, dead man of me more like, but it was worth it.”

For a moment even the sound of artillery seemed to recede, as the two of them considered the sheer improbability of what had happened, and the tragedy of finding a kindred spirit when they were both almost certain to die in a matter of minutes.

“Yo’ ready then Sir... what’s that?” Hodge gingerly raised his head into the open, where he saw his platoon commander stagger, cursing, to his feet, fifty yards behind them. His first instinct was to shout a warning to the officer, but he knew this might prove their deliverance. “Let’s be having you then Mr Kester.”

“What’s your name Corporal? I forgot to ask,” Alex’s leg had given way after only a few strides, and he now bounced along over Hodge’s shoulder, as the stocky little corporal weaved towards cover.

“Luke, Sir, my name’s Luke,” they were almost there, ten yards, no more but shots were ringing out behind them, “what’s happened to Mr Harris, can yo’ see?”

“He took a ball in the shoulder, but he’s still up on his knee returning fire with his revolver.”

“Daft bugger,” Luke puffed, dropping Alex behind the baobab’s scant cover. He looked back in time to see the infantry officer fling his arms wide as a bullet found home. “Brave bugger”, he added, falling flat as a few well aimed shots belatedly caught up with them.

“We’re not out of the woods yet Luke,” Alex pointed into the distance, “looks like the rest of your chaps have fallen back on that knoll there. It’s still a good way off.”

“Aye Mr Kester, but t’Boers aren’t that well sighted. If we keep our heads down we should make it.” Bullets whipped through the foliage as if to underline the importance of staying low.

“We’re a sorry pair of sissies aren’t we?” Alex joked, looking at their tattered khaki uniforms, caked with blood and dust. It was a far cry from the fine blue and gold he had proudly worn when first he left Sandhurst, or Luke’s redcoat, for that.

“We are that,” Luke joined in his new friend’s laughter, “any road, you’d better take t’ribbon. We’re both for t’hospital, and them orderlies would steal t’skin off an enlisted man’s shit, begging yo’r pardon Sir.”

Alex placed the ribbon in his last serviceable pocket, “You will get it back Luke, and when we get home to England I am going to buy us the two prettiest gowns on Bond Street. That’s a promise.”

* * * * *

Their friendship had raised more than a few eyebrows at home, socially the difference between them was vast, but some understood the bonds that develop in harm’s way. No one, however, would ever fully comprehend what underpinned their relationship.

Alex could hear Luke in the other room - the double vision had never left him and he was prone to banging into furniture — and stiffly stood up to greet him. Absently his thumbs sought the side creases on his clothes, Alex wondered how long this martial habit would last after resigning his commission. Would he be standing to attention for the rest of his life? Playfully he threw Luke a smart salute as he entered the room.

“Ah don’t yo’ be starting that wi’ me Alex,” Luke groaned.

“I am merely following tradition,” Alex lowered his hand theatrically, “even Lord Kitchener salutes the medal old chap.”

“But I’m no wearing t’bloody thing, not even t’bloody ribbon.”

“Really, no ribbon?” Alex arched an eyebrow, “then what’s that in your hair Lou?”

up
85 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Afterword and historical note.

I had the idea for this story about a week ago, and originally it was a lot darker. Set in the Great War, it saw Alex find Luke's body in a shell crater on the Western Front, and wondering if the ribbon was the same one - it would have been followed by a flashback to Luke's life before the war. That's the trouble with writing about the Great War, there can be no happy endings, it has even thrown a shadow over some of the Edwardian pieces I'm writing, because the reader must wonder what happened to the character in 1914. The Boer War seemed a lighter option, although it's one of the more shameful episodes in Britain's imperial past.

Historical note (I've always wanted to write one of these).

The Battle of the Modder River was one of the first actions in the Second Boer War, and largely overshadowed by the disastrous battles that followed it in 'Black Week', where the Boers gave the British Army a lesson in modern warfare. I've tried to fit the events of the battle into the story without changing too much. The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment did force a crossing of the Modder on the left flank, and the 9th Lancers were part of General Methuen's army, though the infantry found the ford themselves without help from the cavalry. The other military details - weapons, uniforms etc - are as close as I could make them.

I know how irritated I get by inaccurate 'Welsh accents' in books and films, so apologies to any Lancastrian readers if I've committed any glaring blunders. Luke's accent is based on a Wiki article, and dialect poetry from the period I found on the web - so it's probably overdone and a bit of a melange. Sorry.

Sad how we don't learn from the past

15 years before the first boer war and 40 years before the 2nd, a modern war was fought in North America... We call it our "Civil War" in our history books, but it was anything but civil...

Nice story Ceri and it seemed to give the "feeling" for where they were.

Thanks for taking the time to write it.

Annette

Sadder how we learn the wrong things from the past

Aljan Darkmoon's picture

The American Civil War, the Boer Wars, WWI and II…each an antecedent to the next, each more “modernized,” more effective, and deadlier than the previous… Military analysts definitely learn from the past: new strategies, new tactics, and the never-ending arms race…

Ceri, The Ribbon Is

Quite a good story. I think you should post it at Fictioneer.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Boering? Not!

Thanks, Ceri!
That was a fun and involving little story, and the intimacy of the adventure carried through... I enjoyed it from start to finish.
Michelle

Fill in the blanks

Sometimes no amount of research can fill in all the blanks. You just can't find enough information so you have to fill in the blanks as best as you can. In that regard I think you did an excellent job of coming up with a nice period piece. I particularly enjoyed the inference of the Victoria Cross and the ribbons in Luke's hair. Very well written as always.
hugs!
grover

Ceri, I just love historical

Ceri,
I just love historical fiction and you have written a real winner. It would be interesting to see if Alex and Luke actually do dress up and go out together as women. In the era they are in, they could get wigs, and clothing that would conceal their maleness if they are too mannish in appearance. Excellent job of showing the class differences of the period. J-Lynn

More Edwardiana to come

I'm not sure if we'll see more of Luke and Alex but I've been working on a couple of Edwardian ideas for a few weeks.'Working' equates to lying around reading, listening to music, using coal tar soap, making Edwardian recipes and fiddling with old cameras for the most part but I have written a story to set up a series of independent shorts featuring the same character... thing is the start up story's plot is quite weak, tho it sets up the characters nicely, so I'll probably keep it as backstory resource that I can refer to. There's also another wartime set story about what a boy will sacrifice for a pair of black market nylons (it's chocolate not his virtue), that may get finished in the next few weeks.

The tg element of this story is relatively modest I know. It's partly because I wanted to stretch my legs in a genre I love reading, and partly because I was looking for new storylines. Some chaps like to wear a dress or two, and don't have a huge emotional journey even though it has a big impact on how their lives turn out...

A great historic piece...

laika's picture

...and I don't see how the "modest" tg element could have been expanded
Ceri (I know I've always felt some vague impulse to apologize for stories
of mine that I had worried wouldn't be perceived as "t.g. enough"...)
unless you had them running around the battlefield in evening gowns;
Or maybe a bit more backstory on each soldier's history of crossdressing;
But I really think this would have diluted the impact of the story terribly,
centered as it was on the battlefeild & the horrors there. That bit of ribbon
stood in nicely for all the things left untold. Something pretty, a symbol
of the feminine realm they both desired but their service to the Empire
took them far far away from. I liked the relatively light & happy ending,
it was refreshing, rather than tears of regret as the flies buzzed
around their spilled entrails..........And once again,
your prose was outstanding.
~~~hugs, Laika

Great Atmosphere

joannebarbarella's picture

You paint in the period with a lovely light touch, without interfering with the main narrative. While the British may have been the villains in the Boer Wars (they invented the concentration camp there) both sides fought with little mercy given. It was the first Imperial war in which Australians fought under their new Federation. Stirred by patriotism they flocked to the banner of the Mother Country, but many went home disillusioned by the savage internal discipline of the British Army. One particular case still remembered to this day was the execution of "Breaker" Morant for cowardice, a man most Aussies regarded as a hero.
How about a sequel on your two protagonists? What scrapes they could get into in Edwardian England,
Joanne

The Ribbon: Brilliant as Usual

Madam: Your latest story sustains the standard that your devoted readers have come to expect. I look forward with unbridled enthusiasm to your forthcoming vignettes featuring Mr. Nathan and his assistant, Miss Smart. Fondly, Daphne

Daphne

Lovely historical feel.....

I enjoyed it immensely Ceri.

My grandfather fought there as a volunteer when little more than a boy. Got a taste for war and progressed to the First World War and, in spite of being severely wounded at Gallipoli when his regiment were proud of winning three VCs before breakfast, volunteered again for the Second World War and never forgave the authorities for not letting him take part on the, to him spurious, grounds that he was too old. He spent the war years sharpening an old cavalry sabre and praying to God each night that paratroopers would land in his back yard so that he could take a few with him.

The Lancashire accent is passable. Of course, as in Wales it varies from within North to South, East to West. This is no criticism as I would not dare to attempt a Welsh accent, but should you venture down the same path again, I don't think you would ever come across a 'yo'. Lancastrians in my childhood memory still used thee and thou, soitably modified of course. 'Don't tha be startin' that' would I think be more authentic than 'don't yo' and 'tha's ready then' for 'yo ready then'. 'Dos't tha march' rather than 'do yo march'. Tha for thou and thi for thee. Although thee would also be used drawn out for emphasis. He would probably say 'champion' rather than 'wonderful'. 'Reet (right) champion' for 'very wonderful'.

Hearkening back to previous posts about rugby, one of the popular phrases was 'Finest in't Northern Union' which had a sporting connotation dating back to the split of League from Union over broken pay when what was to become League was first known as Northern Union. (Grandfather was Wigan born and bred.) In fact you didn't exaggerate at all. Fully fledged it could be quite incomprehensible to an outsider. Rather like Welsh :)

Any way 'Chapeau!' ( I like to keep Nick on his toes. :))

Hugs,

Fleurie

Fleurie

Phew!

I was a bit worried it wouldn't stand even the briefest scrutiny, and lots of tips if Luke reappears (I'm not ruling it out).

Cod-Welsh accents always irritate me as unless they're based on a specific person they end up as a mixture of several accents. I can honestly say I've never heard a Welsh person use 'boyo' except ironically (it's 'mun' in South West Wales or 'butt' in the South East), and the only person I've ever heard say 'look you' is Fluellen.

My accent throws a lot of people as it's so unlike anything they've heard on television - the vowels are Glamorgan, but the cadences Carmarthenshire, and in my area we roll the 'r' too. Throw in a few Welsh words for good measure and confusion reigns - it's often mistaken for Scottish :)

When I moved here to Hampshire I had to modify my accent quite a bit, lowering the pitch and speaking in a more deliberate manner, just to avoid saying everything twice. It could backfire though - I remember walking into a newsagent and asking very clearly for a packet of cigarettes, there were two assistants behind the counter, both sullen and rather snippy. As I walked out I heard one assistant say to the other "bloody public schoolboys, who do they think they are?"

Boyo

I think it may be the Welsh themselves who at least help to perpetuate boyo. I seem to recall a 'No Good Boyo' in Dylan Thomas' 'Under Milk Wood'.

Or maybe he was just taking the piss out of English misconceptions?

Hugs,

Fleurie

Fleurie

Swansea Jack

Possibly, but as a 'Swansea Jack' he may have been out of his depth in 'Llaregub', which is patently on the Carmarthenshire coastline. :)

King Cotton

Did you ever read 'King Cotton' by Thomas Armstrong. Certainly one of the finest books ever written it was a must read when first published over 50 years ago. It deals with the hardship and starvation of the workers in the Lancashire cotton mills who refused to work the cotton from the USA during their Civil War.

I mention it because, as I recall, it gives a good example of Lancashire accents.

Our friends across the pond might enjoy it too. It is a very fine read in its own right and equally applicable to them. If it is still in print. The dedication reads.

"For those people of Lancashire, without whose sacrifices the United States of America might not exist as we know it today, whose "sublime Christian heroism" in the words of Abraham Lincoln, is not to be found commonly recorded in the history books of his mighty country across the sea'

Hugs,

Fleurie

Fleurie

sounds interesting

I'll add it to my Amazon wishlist (which is running at about forty genies' worth at present).

I'm not planning another Lancashire setting at present, the one I've been working on is well spoken London, and an acclimatised Scot who throws in the odd Lallans expression.

I've just begun a short short where the central character is mute, so no problem accents there :)

more?

Will there be more to this delightfull tale?

A.A.

i'm not ruling it out

Alex and Lou did take on a bit of a life of their own as I was writing the story, and it would be fun to see where else they could go, but I'd have to think up something for them to do back home...

I've got a stack of ideas at present (the more I write the more new ideas occur). The story with the mute charcter has preoccupied me for a few days... I've had the premise for months, but it's only taken shape this last week. The central character is a teenage son of missionaries who get caught up in the Boxer rebellion... he sees his parents killed, their congregants and is himself emasculated (as was the Chinese manner), and kept in slavery until rescued... he returns to Britain so traumatised he not only cannot speak, he cannot write, gesture or communicate in any active way - the only clue to his inner life are the passages he is seen to read in his Bible. The story begins in the mental asylum where his family have placed him with the tacit understanding that he is to disappear, he's smuggled out by a doctor and disguised as a maid to the doctor's pregnant wife... there are a couple of scenery chewing villains, seemingly allied but acting to their own ends, and a thoroughly decent curate... and that's just the beginning :)

Memories

This story brought to mind one of the earliest books in which I found a crossdressing scene that I savored simply for itself. The book was 'Rags of Glory' by Stuart Cloete and was set during the Boer war.

A young Boer soldier finds himself trapped behind enemy lines and hides out in the home of a Boer sympathizer and her two daughters. To sneak him through the lines it is decided to disguise him as a girl. The description of this escapade was both erotically tinged and humorous and I can still bring to mind much of the description.

Commentator
Visit my Caption Blog: Dawn's Girly Site

Visit my Amazon Page: D R Jehs

South Africa did indeed give the British Problems

I guess it all started with the Anglo-Zulu war when the British were soundly trounced at Isandlwana. The only reason such a fuss was made over the battle of Rorke's Drift (still the largest amount of VCs awarded in a single action) was that horrible tactical failing at the mountain shaped like a Sphinx. Then it was the turn of the Boers who's long practice of hunting for the table made them superb shots and excellent at the art of staying hidden. The Boer war certainly left its mark on this country. Even now a common (insulting) name for an Englishman is Rooinek (Red neck in Afrikaans) for the either the red coats the the British soldiers wore at the beginning of the war (It was this war that made the British realize that red clothing did not hide their soldiers very well) or the common sight of a sunburned neck in a Mauser's sights.