The Station's Late Nite Princess -chapter 10

Comments

Yes!

Yay! I've been waiting all week for this :-)

sweet

Chapter lots of fun happenings, little things combining to make a sweet big picture.
Marty seems to know there's something going on, and I could see why Don/Dawn wanted to put Marty off about the cleaner/cook.
Blake met dawn and also seems at ease and happy with Her both the work and her personally.
But He is so right Dawn really needs to talk with Marty but I get the feeling it not just about being Transgender that she is afraid to be open about.
I think She is scared of opening up the Grief Marty feels from when her Mom died as Marty did say Don/Dawn had her looks and if Her voice is the same.
But again I think that Marty would be proud of his Daughter but still needs to be careful Esp with the Lux persona as She is getting a good following.
looking forwards to seeing what happens next.

Matt

Keeps getting better

Snowfall, you and your writing are amazing!

ok all calmed down again

sugar_britches63's picture

I just want to say that I have now had my weekly vaccination of Dawn Crockett and the Vortex. For some strange reason I was getting a bit shakey with anticipation for the newest installment of this wonderful story, I only hope that the week coming up doesn't seem so long. Thank you so kindly Lady Snowfall for the wounderous tale you spin each week and the caring people that inhabit it.

opinor ergo sum

Charlotte Van Goethem

Every week a miracle happens about this time of the evening

Snowfall graces us with another episode of this great tale. I think Fridays shoud be set aside to honor this great writer of fiction. This chapter couldn't get much better.
Waiting for next Friday already.
Hugs
Francesca

- Formerly Turnabout Girl

I'm with Blake

waif's picture

She needs to tell her daddy. Marty, I think, already knows she is dressing femme, but may not be aware that she is really TG. Two people living in the same house will accidentally stumble over each other's toes without snooping. All it takes is Marty finding a piece of lingerie or poking his head into Sonny's room and noticing the nightie.

Be kind to those who are unkind, tolerant toward those who treat you with intolerance, loving to those who withhold their love, and always smile through the pains of life.

Dawn Has Taken Over The Night

jengrl's picture

Now she has to come out in the day to her father. I know from personal experience that it's one of the scariest things you will ever do when you walk this road , but it's also so true that the truth will set you free. I think Marty will love her just as much as his daughter than as his son , which we all know, was just a facade until the true self comes shining through.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Perceptions

Beoca's picture

Does Dawn really think that Marty won't be accepting? I understand the reluctance, but it has to end. It's a miracle she still manages to get to the station without being detected by Marty or someone (and without having to change clothes at the station). There is too much chance that she will slip up. Dawn has to realize that.

'Mature' underwear?

I don't understand how one kind of underwear is more mature than any other. Unless one is talking about 'Depends' or 'granny panties'.

Frankly the only style of panty I can't stand is the thong. I had tried a thong gaff and by the time I took it off it was gross and left behind super irritated skin ( and I have very sensitive skin in the first place ) as the nether regions can get moist.

I agree.

In fact I would suggest thongs are the last things mature people would wear. We're more interested in comfort. It's relatively immature late teens early twenties that sacrifice comfort for what they imagine is 'style'. Except for very, very special occasions comfort wins for me every time and those occasions are very, very few :)

Loving the story, though and we're getting the opinions of the eponymous heroine, not necessarily that of the writer, and Dawn is still at school and being Lux is a huge thrill.

thanks so much.

Robi

Great Chapter

jennifer breanna's picture

Just keeps getting better I'm really impressed by your story telling.

Jenni

Nice

Another beautiful chapter. I started reading it when there were 0 kudos, and by the time I finished there were over 50.

Jumped down from the start

Talking about staying warm, this is a true incident. It was the campus radio station, a 5000watt FM but a low altitude antenna. It was a late December evening, the kind you really hate, bitterly cold in the low 20s, and a north wind gusting to 40-50mph. The DJ does the weather, with a few toss-off coments. Then at the end he tells the listners it was the kind of night to stay home and curl up in somebody warm. Pure fucking genius, IMHO! Its a shame there really wern't many people around to hear it, but I tracked him down in the J-Building and gave him a double thumbs up!

Back to reading.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

timing quibble

dawnfyre's picture

There has been maybe a month pass in the story, yet sooo much has happened that it actually seems like to much.

the frenetic pace that keeps readers wanting more just feels wrong, when you consider how truly terrifying it is/was to come out to friends and family about being trans.

how many of us lose friends and family over it?
While it is better now that even 20 years ago, it is still a very scary real prospect.
While Dawn does need to tell her dad I think it would be wrong to just blow off that fear. Maybe include her talking with Brett about how scary the thought is before it gets to her telling her dad.


Stupidity is a capital offense. A summary not indictable.

Thank you for another chapter!

I'm loving your story and the pacing is great. I can hardly wait for more!


Hugs from British Columbia! :D

Everybody's talking

About Dawn coming clean with her dad, and why is she putting it off. I'll give you one word - scared. In this case she is scared of the unknown. When it is all said and done, Dawn is still a 16 yr old teen. She knows everything will be alright, but deep in her bones there's that doubt, that uncertainty. Whatever else happens, once she tells her dad things will never be the same. The Genie is out and she's not going back in her bottle.

I've been there, except rather than telling my parents they ambushed me. Not that it would have mattered, the yelling would have been just as loud, the threats still the same.

So gee-wilikers, why hasn't she come clean. If she already had and dad was cool, my suspension of disbelief would have gone down a bit. The story needed this, the underlying tension keeps me coming back for more. Even though I'm sure Dad will be cool, or at least understanding, this keeps the story going in the right gear.

I'll Be Back


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Yeah, it's scary......

D. Eden's picture

Terrifying in fact. I know, as do many others here. I was there repeatedly, and I repeatedly chose to bury my true self.

Eventually, I was forced to face my true self, and also unfortunately, the fact that I waited to tell those I loved did not make it any easier. It nearly cost me everyone who meant anything to me, my wife and my children. Luckily, there was enough love between us to get past it.

For those of you who haven't done so - tell the people you love. Waiting and hiding doesn't make it easier, nor does it make it easier on them.

Thanks for writing this Hon - not only is to a wonderful story, but it is talking about things we all need to get into the open. Your talent just keeps shining through.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Dad'll be fine

Yes, we all believe that and then it blows up in our face ...

I really love this story, a lot.

Thank you.

Gwen

I think dad will be cool he

I think dad will be cool he loves Don so I think will love Dawn.This story is just great my dear. Keep em coming.

WIN_20151023_13_56_29_Pro.jpg

Wonder if Dawn had the three

Wonder if Dawn had the three men with her when she spoke with her dad, it might help allay her fears of what is going to happen. If he sees that they are all fine with her as she is, perhaps that will also allay his own fears? Just a thought I guess.
With all of Dawn's shopping excursions, someone she knows will eventually see her or run into her and know who she is. As Blake told her, it does not necessarily take much to have the whole world come crashing down around you at the least considered moment.

Princess of the night

Elvira at 16 !
Dad must be told
I wait for this story to be posted.

Karen

Go Blake

I have to say that I really like Blake's character, it is great to see a boss that's not a PHB, one that cares about their employees personally as well as professionally.

I agree that Dawn needs to tell her dad, but I also think that Marty is not even close to clueless. He has shown that he knows Don is showing feminine traits, is hiding something, and tends to "clam up"; it's not a big stretch to put the pieces together. The first time Marty hears Lux on the the air or in a recording the cat will be out of the bag. Who's to say Marty has not already heard Lux?

Love the story Snowfall, thanks for sharing.

Dawn needs a "Plan B"

It's all well and good to say Marty needs to know, he my have his suspicions or someone may recognize Don/Dawn during one of her daytime wanderings. but there's another scenario that's all too possible with the nature of Marty's job. It's also one that neither can control, only make the best of it....

Dawn is used to seeing Marty's car in the drive when she gets home, but what happens if his car is still there, the engine warm (from recent use) and some of the house lights on? That would suggest Marty's just arrived home himself after a call-out. Would Dawn freak-out and attempt some type of improvized "Plan B" or just bite the bullet and walk in?

Another thing to consider. One person suggested Marty might've already heard Lux and questioned what he heard - afterall, he's already heard Dawn's voice coming out of Don's mouth, has he not? I'm suggesting it may well be a fair guess that with the popularity of the station and the fact his 'son' works there ... he had the car radio on while driving home at that hour and did make the inevitable connection upon hearing the new DJ.

An excellent story. I can only echo what praise the others have heeped upon you and can only add that I too, endure the week, anticipating the next chapter.

PB

Hearing Dawn

Marty already knows that Don has a number of female character voices. He could easily find that Don is Lux Noctis without concluding that his son is tg or even cd. He's just playing a character.

Dawn

Sammi's picture

appears to be intellectually and emotionally more mature than most teens her age, and although she is scared of Marty's reaction to her situation, it is likely that she may feel that he is still grieving in someway and that he may reject her because she is taking his son away and the last connection to his wife.
He had already compared one of Dawn's voices to her mothers.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

A favourite

Podracer's picture

Eagerly reading the latest chapter, I then clicked the kudos button to find me 392nd. That's quite a lot, isn't it?
Every one deserved, in my opinion.
C'mon, Dawn, you can do this. Your dad loves you.

"Reach for the sun."

Seige Rope

I like it! Listened to it while reading, and bit of other stuff from that show.

Hugs,

Jenna

Having worked a station or two in my time,

your descriptions of what happens, more or less, are right on. Some crazy stuff does happen on the night shift and DJs are not always what they seem, or sound like.

Don/Dawn's talent with voices lends itself very well to working a station. It's very handy to have someone who can do different voices, especially on a small, low budget station.

It's very true that Don/Dawn's father DOES need to be brought up to speed ASAP. If anything bad happens to Don/Dawn, his/her Dad will need to be there to sign permissions in case of an injury. Also, sooner or later, the kids at school are going to become an issue. With the success of Lux growing, more and more people are going to be trying to unearth the secrets of who she is.

Terrific stuff Snow. Your characterizations are right on and your plot is progressing at a comfortable pace for us readers. Very, very well done.

Catherine Linda Michel

As a T-woman, I do have a Y chromosome... it's just in cursive, pink script. Y_0.jpg

Sharing Dawn with Dad - some counter thoughts

tigger's picture

First of all - GRRRREAT story! Fridays are Snowfall days. Holding out for a blizzard!!!

On the question of telling Marty about Dawn. Well, okay. Sorta. I agree that even in the best of all possible worlds, Dawn's secret will come out. I also agree that Marty, as we've seen him portrayed, is a pretty cool guy and will ultimately be a help and not a hindrance in Dawn's future.

However, lets take another thought on this and look at how Don/Dawn might be overthinking this. Marty is shown as a pretty together, comfortable in his male skin kind of guy. Professional grade athlete, highly respected business owner, works with his hands, etc. I almost feel like I'm being setup. Yes, he's not a MCP, brute or any of those. Got that.

But now, lets look at Don's recent interactions. Marty has and voices concerns about his son's lack of a social life - who's your girl friend? Is all this house (girl) work keeping you too busy to make (girl) friends at school? Dad feels he's been too busy at work and is thinking he needs to hire house help to cut Don some slack. What message is Don receiving? Is he worried that his Dad, a real standup guy, might take his son's feminine leanings as a parental failing on Dad's part - that he will unfairly blame himself for not 'being there"? Most stories with a single parent have the Mom being worried about not providing a 'male role model." Might Don, so hyper aware of (but not really understanding) the male world interactions, worry that his Dad might really blame himself for not giving Don more of his time, leading to him/her becoming Dawn? It's admittedly a convoluted view of their situation, but people in stress, particularly self created stress find convolutions - even where none really exist.

Here's another idea. As a stopgap, or as a test case, Don reveals Lux to Dad instead of Dawn. "She's a voice, Dad." and waits to see how Marty takes that "My son is a girl on county wide radio?? but without Dawn really telling him that yes, your child IS a girl, all the way all the time. Not sure where that would go, but it would be interesting.

Just a thought or two. Now, I have a scratching post that needs attention.

warm furry hugs

Tiggs

Another week of the late night princess

And another week of falling a little in love with Dawn. She's charismatic, she's fun, she's witty... and i hope things don't go poorly anytime soon.

That being said: i feel that all this is gonna come out on a sunday sometime, so ... i'll wait until the next chapter.

Xx
Amy

Thank You

for a great story + also thank you for reminding me of some great songs....yes Tonight is what it means to be Young from Streets of Fire.
movie ok ..music great with Dan Hartmans..I Can Dream About You..+ Tonight & Nowhere Fast both Jim Steinman songs..Thanks for the memory
Love Lillian

https://youtu.be/wCIrPJ6SBl4

Me?

I had to step up and do the nightly station cleaning so that Dawn could be herself :) Really only takes a couple of hours and without the Lawman messing the place up, its easier now too!

Sephrena


 
ps: Snowfall told me where all the cleaning supplies are kept :)

Cleaning??

Good question. I asked that very question myself, the other night. I'm sure Blake must of been taking notice of Don's absence by the dust-bunnies accumulating in the place.

PB

Who's there?

Beoca's picture

Lyle is doing it (he is there at the end of every one of Dawn's shifts, after all, and doesn't seem to be doing much of anything most of the time). He's on alert in case his expertise is needed, but seems to not be too busy. Not like he doesn't know both list and floor plan well.

Or it is being taken care of earlier in the day.

Cat chews a hole in the bag

Jamie Lee's picture

Don's Lux Noctis persona has people tripping all over themselves. And they've yet to see her. That Don can do a voice which excites the listeners is a credit to his skill. However, it will also cause the sicko's to try and meet her or worse. This is one problem which no one has brought up. And they should.

Throughout the story, Marty and Don have had a relationship that goes beyond good. Marty seems to hate the things Don does around the house because he feels it cuts into Don developing a social life.

But what Marty hasn't made clear, but has hinted at, is that he senses there is more going on with Don than Don is willing to admit. In this chapter he again tried to get Don to talk about it, but realized if pressed Don would shut down. Marty is worried about Don; thinking he's in some kind of embarrassing trouble. But not the secret Don is holding back.

Given their relationship, and the love Marty has for Don, Don's fear of telling Marty about Dawn will be a relief to Marty. In that Don isn't in the kind of trouble Marty fears. And it might even come as a shock to Don that Marty had an inkling about someone like Dawn was around.

Whether Marty did have a hunch or not, when Dawn comes into the light, Marty isn't going to kick her out of the house.

Others have feelings too.

Following Lux

I'm concerned about that, too. It wouldn't be hard for one of the curious to wait by the studio to see who walks out after Dawn's shift.

To change the subject a bit... Don really should test the waters with his dad by admitting that Lux is one of his characters. After all, Marty has heard other female characters of Don's.