Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 222

Printer-friendly version

Easy As falling Off A Bike
by Angharad
part:222

I went out to the kitchen to make some tea, my head was still spinning at the prospect of all that workshop kit. Then I opened the fridge.

"Oh no!" I wailed.

"What's the matter?" said Simon rushing into the kitchen.

"Look at all this food, it's going to spoil before we cook it."

"Cook it tomorrow."

"We've got to go to your dad's, remember?"

"Oh shite, yes." He shook his head, "And my over friendly step mother."

"Oh no!"

"Can't we just freeze it all?"

"No it's been in the fridge for too long. It'll go off."

"Not in just a couple of days, surely."

"You'd be surprised how fast it goes off. I suppose I could cook it now."

"You'll be up half the night."

"Two hours." I switched on the cooker, and pulled the chicken out of the fridge and washed it before covering it in basting mixture I made up of fresh crushed garlic, black pepper, mustard, lemon juice and vegetable oil.

Simon stood and watched me. I then peeled an onion and shoved it up inside the bird.

"Hey that's a good idea. My mouth is watering just watching you."

"Watching me or the food?"

"Okay, you make me crave something else, it's the food that's making my mouth water."

The oven came up to temperature and I popped the chicken in. Two hours from now it should be ready. I washed my hands and made some toast.

"That'll spoil your appetite."

"Simon, I haven't eaten since breakfast, it's ten o clock, my tummy thinks my throat's been cut."

"Oh yeah, sorry I didn't think."

I made some tea and he had a cup with me, helping himself to a piece of my toast.

"Why does it always taste better on someone else's plate?"

I smiled and shrugged my shoulders.

"What are we going to do with all those tools you bought me?"

"I have a couple of boxes they'll go in, and we can put them in the garage."

"You realise that Christmas is going to be the middle of January by the time I come home from hospital."

"So, you'll just have to wait to play with all those won't you."

"I was feeling more in terms of your present and the food an' stuff."

"We can eat this lot now and get some more in a month's time if necessary."

"Just seems an unfortunate extra cost."

"That's life. I thought I was supposed to be the penny pinching Scot?"

Yeah, sure looks that way from my Christmas present."

"Look, I went along to the bike shop down by the uni, the one which repaired your bike. I asked him what stuff would I need to put together a complete bike workshop. He recommended Park."

"They are probably the best, but they are so expensive."

"So, I got a special deal, the bank bought them at cost and I bought them from the bank."

"You mean you didn't pay VAT on them?"

"Something like that."

"I'll bet they still cost a fortune."

"If that's what you want to believe..."

Instead of arguing I kissed him. It shut him up. "Thank you for a wonderful present. It does make mine to you seem very small."

"My socks?"

"Yes. Maybe I could get you a second pair."

"I only have one pair of feet."

"That is true."

"So two pairs could be seen as wasteful."

"Indeed."

"You know what this means?"

"What?" I asked.

"I've just talked myself out of a second pair of socks."

"Indeed," I nodded and smirked.

"So did the jerbil get a Christmas treat?"

"Spike is a dormouse," I punched him on the shoulder, "As you well know!"

"Simon is not a punchbag," he said and began to tickle me around the neck and collar bones.

"If you mark me, I'll tell them in the hospital you beat me."

"Good, it'll enhance my reputation with the women there, they think I'm a wimp."

"Why do you need to enhance a reputation, you are promised to moi!"

He blushed.

"Come on, spill the beans," I hit him again to emphasise the point.

"Ouch, you punch too hard, you're as bad as my sister."

"Worse than her, I can bash you in bed too. So unless you want me to bash you in bed, tell me about this reputation."

"It's more of a non-reputation." His tall body seeemd to shrink as he remembered his story. "Of how not to date your sister's friends."

"What do you mean?"

"Stella arranged some dates with her nursing friends for me. I stupidly went along with it because I was too shy to ask them out myself. She was plotting and scheming, totally in control of what happened and she wasn't even there. They went from disaster to disaster as she goaded them into making a mockery of me."

"Why did she do that?"

"Dunno, payback for some real or imagined sin on my behalf. Cor that chicken smells good." I nodded my agreement, it did.

"So what did you do to retaliate?"

"Nothing, she won game, set and match. I told her what a bitch she was and we didn't speak for a while. I don't think she realised how much she had hurt me."

"Ohhhhh, poooooooooooooor Simon," I cooed to him, stroking him.

"Didn't going out with me count for anything then?"

"Oh yeah, didn't it. It gave me new credibility, of the 'what's a nice girl like her out with a prat like him?' type of school."

"Is that good?"

"It's been wonderful."

"Won't they know when I go into hospital, I mean about my, ahem, my little inadequacy?"

"I've been told that it shouldn't happen for two reasons. Only a couple of people beside the surgeon will actually know why you are there. The rest will be told you had some sort of rebuild needed. They won't be told what sort. So if anyone starts to make an issue of it, we'll trace it back to source and they'll be disciplined under breach of confidentiality."

"Isn't that going to be a waste of time?"

"Not according to Stella, they could get struck off."

"If you can prove it?"

"We will."

We chatted a bit longer then Tom came out. "God that smells good, Cathy you have bewitched us, how long have we got to wait for it?"

"About twenty minutes. I haven't done any veg."

"Some of that in a sarnie will do fine."

So that's what we did, we had chicken sandwiches for Christmas dinner. Mind you the bread was homebaked and the chicken was absolutely delicious.

up
196 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

O.K. Angharad, How Much More Are You Going To Make Us Wait?

Until Cathy gets herself good and properly sorted? I know that Simon is waiting as well as Cathy. Maybe you can let Spike babysit Cathy for a bit or get Kiki to visit. Just be kind to Cathy and keep that Banshee Girl away, she just might undo the sorting for Cathy.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Gerbil, dormouse, whatever

Just rats with fancy names and good PR. They all make great snake food. ;)

Got to wonder what Stella's motives were in humiliating her brother, that's a very mean form of revenge. I hope Cathy has some very stern questions for Stella next chance she gets.

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

She may have not intended it

She may have not intended it to be humiliation, but Simon certainly saw it that way. Brothers and sisters can often have a very "trying" relationship...

You even made my mouth water ...

and, not only am I a vegetarian, but it's well past midnight.

Hey, can I borrow Cathy's tools sometime? My workstand is pre-war and weighs about 30 kilos :)

Another good episode. A bit dull though, rather like Blackpool when the Ramsbottoms visited and sought excitement by visiting Wallace in the zoo LOL

Geoff

Where is the ......

...Stick with an horse's head handle.

If that turns up, look out!

As you well know ...

... it's in Wallace's ear LOL

It used to be my party piece but I can hardly remember it now.

Geoff

Siblings can be just sooo nasty...

A calm interlude...nice pacing. Good to see them dealing with real life concerns (such as worrying about food spoiling in the fridge) and enjoying each other's company and a simple meal together - without screaming banshees, rodents "falling with style", or emergency personnel intervening!

In this 'slow' episode, you really gave us insight into Simon and Stella's relationship - and into both of their characters as well. Having an overabundance of siblings, I know firsthand how illogical and just plain mean some can be out of competition, rivalry or in retaliation for supposed slights, but how the relationship can grow and change over time to an amazing closeness - this expanded dimension makes Simon and Stella even more real to me.

Thanks, if I've not said so before, for your efforts!

YW

PS - I take it that a 'sarnie' is a sandwich of some sort? I'll look online...

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

I'm Hungry!

Cor! (Isn't that the correct Britspeak interjection?) All that food talk is making me hungry. I can't stay to talk; I have to go to the kitchen and get me something to eat!

Your descriptions are too good, Ang! I can smell the fresh-baked bread! Really!

Yours form the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

What a nice chat!

They had such a lovely chat, and that sounds like a wonderful meal... What's poor Tom going to do when Cathy moves out.

Thank you.

Annette

Chicken Sarnies

Just the job.

I can smell them from here and oh what I'd do for one right about now. It's been a shit morning and EAFOAB has cheered me up no end.

Thanks Ang

NB

normalcy

Sounds pretty good

Cefin

normalcy

Sounds pretty good

Cefin