Gaby Book 12+1 Chapter *34* Blue Monday

Printer-friendly version
book13coverfront_1.jpg
 
 get the complete book here! {Or here (US) -Erin}
 
 
*Chapter 34*

Blue Monday

 
 
I woke after a fitful night; I slept at some point but not well.

“You look like shite,” Jules opined when I clambered down to the kitchen.

“Thanks.”

“You lost ten and found one?”

“Could say that, Con had a go last night, said I was selfish and pretty much said I don’t think about anyone else.”

“‘S’ a bit harsh, you can be a bit single minded sometimes.”

“Cheers,” I replied flatly sloshing coffee into my mug, my angel mug, ironic eh?

“Morning!” Mand greeted us arriving with a bounce.

“Yeah.”

“Aren’t we the happy one?”

“She’s had a falling out,” Jules filled in.

“It happens,” Mand shrugged, “it’s gonna take some getting used to seeing you wearing girl’s stuff.”

“I’m wearing jim jams.

“Pink Hello Kitty™ ones teamed with pink fuzzy slippers.”

Jules snorted into her tea.

“They were presents.”

“So was Gran’s jumper last Christmas,” my sister pointed out.

“You don’t wear yours either,” I shot back.

“Ooh do tell,” Mand pressed.

“Think five year olds, kittens and bunnies, mine was pink and white.”

“And mine was white and pink,” Jules supplied.

“Bet you looked well cute,” Miss de Vreen giggled.

“You can go off people,” I noted.

“Shouldn’t you be getting dressed anyhow?” Goth Gurl suggested.

I sighed deeply, “I guess.”

 
 
Manda’s comments irked me less than I thought, but as for Connie Thesing, hmmph, I’ll show her!
 
 

“I was just,” Dad started when I returned to the kitchen, “gonna call you,” he tailed off.

“Geez, sis, you taken some extra girl pills this morning?”

Amanda didn’t add to the conversation as she was busy picking her jaw off the ground.

“Not exactly your usual school outfit kiddo,” Dad suggested.

“Thought I should make an effort as we’re going to the Fischer’s after class.”

“Effort to get the boys on a leash,” Jules muttered under her breath.

“It’s not too much?” I asked.

“I might have gone for less eyeliner,” Manda observed.

I looked in the top oven window for a mirror, “hmm, might be right, still too late now. Why’re you guys still all here?”

“Dad’s taking us,” Jules advised.

“Well, I’d best get off, see you later, tschussie!”

 
 
I checked I’d got everything once I’d dragged the Schauff out of the garage, books, wallet – bank cards in there, make up bag – yup, that’s it. I mounted my steed and set off, almost immediately regretting several elements of my outfit. Shoes, skirt and top each had their own issues when combined with bicycle riding, perhaps I should’ve thought this through a bit better.

I had debated not going to the bakery this morning but I decided that was being churlish and besides I need to pick up my lunch.

 
 
All heads snapped around when I clacked in the door, the restrictive skirt forcing me into pigeon steps making it even more er girly. Even in these heels I’m barely one metre seventy (5’6” in American speak) but I commanded the room!

“Gab? That you in there?” Frau Thesing was the first to voice anything.

“Morning, can I get a puddingbrezel with my lunch please?”

“Er sure, er, Gaby”

I stifled a giggle as she caught herself bobbing to me.

“Morning guys,” I smiled as I headed to the Angels’ table.

“Er why are you dressed like that?” Brid put the words the others were debating into sounds.

“We have an engagement later do we not?”

“Yeah but don’t you think that’s a bit over the top?” Pia suggested.

“Considering the occasion I thought it appropriate to make an effort,” I stated looking directly at Connie.

Not that the others were scruffy but they were in their typical school day stuff whereas I’m dressed more er formally, the Baroness would, I’m sure, approve. What am I wearing? Well I must admit raiding Mum’s wardrobe for the navy pencil skirt which on me is knee length (hence my bike riding issues), the black silk vest top is mine as is the navy jacket and they’re my 10cm heels from the wedding in Munich. Plaiting and fixing my hair up took longer than dressing and a bit more effort on the make up front completed the sophisticated look I was aiming for.

“You’ll regret those shoes,” Stef mentioned.

I was thinking that too, I’ve got some ballets in my locker at school though.

“I stopped at Bohr’s on the way, I’ve ordered some flowers to be delivered here for us to take.”

“We were gonna sort that later,” Pia advised.

“Well it’s sorted now.”

“How much do we owe you?” Brid asked turning to her bag for her purse.

I struggled not to wince at the €95 the floral tribute had cost.

“Nothing, they’re paid for.” I advised them all the while looking at Connie.

“Girls! Time!” Frau Thesing called over.

 
 
If I thought the ride to the bakery was awkward, the ride down to Ahrweiler was distinctly unpleasant – not that I’d let on to the others. The heels weren’t so bad, the soles are pretty stiff after all, the breeze blowing directly onto the girls was more of a temperature thing, no it was the tight skirt and stocking combination that was the real issue. I had to hitch my skirt over my knees to ride at all, not very elegant, just how did those women do it with longer skirts?

Then it clicked.

“Hang on a mo,” I requested as I pulled my beast to a halt.

“What’s up?” Steff asked.

“Need to make an adjustment.”

“We’ll go on,” Con told us, “see you there.”

Nice.

 
 
“What’s with you and Con this morning? You’ve hardly exchanged two words,” Steff noted as I fiddled with my seatpost.

“Nothing.”

“You can’t fool me, Gaby Bond, I’ve known you two far too long, something’s up between you and you dressing up has something to do with it.”

“That should do it!”

“You listening, Gab?”

“I’m listening, come on or we’ll be late.”

The higher saddle position was better, my heels meant I could still pedal easy enough but with legs straighter my skirt hung much more comfortably and my ‘spenders chafed less, okay I’ll admit that the stockings are probably a bit overboard but I’m committed now.

“So?” Steff pushed.

Hmm, much better.

“We had an argument last night,” I admitted.

“What about?”

Good question, I’m not 100% sure myself.

 
 
I’ve known Steff longer than anyone else at school, well okay not by much but she was the first one of the Angels I considered would be a friend. That said I’d’ve said my BF was Connie and I guess the others knew we were a little closer than the group at large. Steff listened as I filled her in on last night’s call.

“It was a simple question,” I noted.

“She’s just upset over Claud.”

“And I’m not? I’ll never get her back for that blue hair now,” I joked.

“I’d forgotten about that, that was well funny.”

“It wasn’t you walking round looking like a Smurf®.”

“She’ll come round, Gab,” Steff offered.

“I hope so, I’ll have to leave my job otherwise.”

“It won’t come to that.”

I really hope not.

It really hadn’t been my intention but Jules’s comment about boys was prophetic. Lads that I see every day with barely a glance from were certainly giving me more attention today. Clearly at least the male population at Silverberg Gymnasium like the sophisticated look – a lesson there for anyone looking for a boyfriend – which I’m not of course.

So of course I was caught unawares when I was accosted outside of the facilities.

“You look nice, Gab, wedding or funeral?”

“Max!”

“Soz, they’re the only times mom dresses up.”

“If you must know it’s a sort of wake.”

“Damn, foot in mouth again, the girl in the wheelchair?”

“Claudia. You didn’t know.”

“Still it was a bit thoughtless.”

“You’re excused this time.”

“So you want me to come?”

Do I? Bit of moral support? Hang on, what am I thinking?

“No it’s okay, I’m going with the girls.”

“Hadn’t noticed any of them dressed up,” Max mentioned.

“Someone has to set an example for the Hoi Polloi,” I hammed.

“You’re all right you are, Gaby Bond,” he stated pulling me into a hug.

I should at this point have been making good my escape, instead I found myself sinking into the embrace and even putting my arms around his waist to hold him there. First it was Toni and now I’m getting up close and friendly with Max, damn these hormones, I’m really not interested in boys. I tightened my grip and snuggled closer.
 
 
Maddy Bell © 26.12.2014

up
331 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Times

Dahlia's picture

There are times that just having someone offer a hug can make the bad all seem to go away. Good man Max!

While true...

She was right in mentally adding this experience to her little Italian affair. Whether she's ready for it or not, her body is definitely telling her she's wrong about having an interest in the boys. Unfortunately, as we well know by now, Gaby's filter against bad ideas is pretty well non-existent. She's going to end up doing things with boys she's going to definitely regret later because she IS interested, despite her denials, and the form of those denials is going to increase the chances of her getting into trouble, not decrease them, as her history well demonstrates.

Abigail Drew.

damn these hormones

I think she does protest too much, fun story

++++++++++++
Cartman: A fine day of plundering we had boys. What about yourselves? Here you are lads, plenty of booty to go around. A round of grog for me boys. A round of grog for everyone!

Denial is no longer valid

Jamie Lee's picture

After her day is school how she is dressed, and her interlude with Max, Gaby no longer can deny she isn't a girl or she isn't interested in Max. Both were there for all to see.

Gaby blames her reaction to Max's hug on hormones, but it's her inability to say no that may have her expecting after her surgery. It's also her inexperience as a girl and her inability to pay attention to what's going on around her that will also contribute to her getting in a motherly way.

Right now in her mixed up life, Gaby needs Jenny more that ever. Jenny needs to stop running around promoting bike racing and the teams and start giving Drew, soon to be completely Gaby, the facts of life for a girl, before Gaby succumbs to inexperience, her unaccustomed hormones, and her inability to say no.

If Dave and Jenny do as they often do, Dave will be scheduling the next race and Jenny will fly by with incomplete information for Gaby to understand completely. If Gaby succumbs to her hormones and ends up expecting, Dave and Jenny will put the blame solely on Gaby's shoulders instead of on their shoulders.

Others have feelings too.