Niamh and Billy

Printer-friendly version

tmp_16158-NAOMI-and-JOSEPHINE-048_349x620-1556633675.jpg

Niamh and Billy

I couldn't help it, I knew I shouldn't stare, but both the women in the restaurant were stunning beauties. I was sat by myself, again. Working as an IT consultant had me spending too many nights staying away from home and eating out on the company's expense account. I got so bored, so I sat on my own and watched people go by. People are endlessly fascinating to me, even though I never really felt like I belonged. I always felt like an outsider, ever since my early teens. Apparently I was a very precocious and gregarious child. But I became shy and introverted as I began to notice the difference between boys and girls. I think that's quite common in my industry. Being introverted in the real world makes it so much easier to invest time and effort into learning how to access all the other worlds a computer gives you access to.

Niamh and Billy apparently didn't have that drive to learn about computers.

I was close enough to their table to hear everything. Niamh was four feet seven and three-quarter inches tall (she quipped that a quarter inch was a big deal when you were so petite) her friends always introduced her to new acquaintances as their "short lesbian" friend. Billy was about seven inches taller than Niamh, which still made her pretty short. Niamh was wearing five inch heeled fuck-me pumps and Billy was wearing cotton deck shoes, but she still towered over Niamh. Billy made some comment about how gorgeous Niamh was, how pretty her name was and how tiny she was. Niamh took it all in her stride (understandably intoxicated by Billy's ridiculous beauty). Niamh got them both stood facing each other, then she stepped out of one of her shoes and put her bare foot flat on the floor. Billy's jaw dropped as Niamh's head went down to the level of her breasts. Niamh raised herself back up into her shoe and they both sat down again.

They were so busy flirting and chatting with each other I couldn't believe they were even aware of the restaurant around them so I felt comfortable enough to watch them closely. They were each exquisite creatures, but what raised them to the most sublime level was how much they were into each other. They were playing with their hair (Niamh’s was a thick mane of blonde hair down below her shoulders and Billy’s was a shiny fall of chestnut which came half-way to her waist). Their eyes sparkled, they were breathless and licking their lips. Both girls were nervous and excited, neither could believe their luck, they clearly each thought the girl sat opposite them was out of their league.

Billy explained that all her serious relationships until then had been with men, mostly because of pressure from her family. But she had always felt that there was something lacking. When she was a little girl she had always found the posters of pretty girls on her brothers’ bedroom walls rather more exciting than she was comfortable with then. She had gradually come to accept that she was probably bisexual and that someday she would have a relationship with a woman. Niamh drank all this information in, she was clearly surprised when Billy said her relationships had been with men but as Billy explained her growing feelings that something was lacking in her relationships with men she began to look more comfortable, clearly excited at being the one to break Billy’s lesbian cherry.

The two girls started discussing what kind of girl they were looking for. Billy said she was looking for someone who wasn’t afraid to get their hands dirty, someone who would get stuck in to activities that might be thought of as ‘too manly for girly-girls’. Something like go-karting, for example. Niamh squealed quietly with delight “Oh my God! “ she said “ I love go-karting!”

As I watched the two girls I couldn’t help smiling, they were so cute and their future looked so bright. They were clearly on the threshold of an awesome relationship. They were so engrossed in each other. Like children on Christmas Eve, having to sit on their hands to stop themselves from unwrapping the most enticing present under the tree. I couldn’t help feeling a little jealous too; why couldn’t I ever meet someone as lovely as Niamh? Why couldn’t I ever be as beautiful as Billy?

The two girls eventually finished their meal. I have no idea how because they scarcely paused for breath as they stumbled over their words they were so keen to get out in their eagerness to talk to one another. When one was talking the other was so involved in listening to the other girl that food seemed to pass their lips as an afterthought rather than part of any conscious activity. They got up together and headed to the toilets. I let out a breath I hadn’t been aware I was holding as they went by. The sexual tension between them was palpable, I didn’t think that they would be staying for dessert.

When they came back to their table there was an unspoken agreement between them and they quickly paid the bill and prepared to leave.

And that’s when thing got weird.

Once the bill was paid (they each wanted to pay for the other and it was so cute the way they split the payment) they looked at each other and then they came over and sat with me without a word being exchanged, one either side of me. Every guy in the restaurant, and some of the ladies, focused on me and wondered what was going to happen next.

I wondered too.

Niamh lent into my ear and said, very softly “We saw you watching us…”

“Have you seen you? Everyone was watching you two, you are very watchable!” I said, just as softly.

“Yes. She is gorgeous, isn’t she?” said Billy, looking with adoration at Niamh, “but you didn’t have the same look as all the others…”

“You looked… sad” said Niamh. She seemed to come to a conclusion, she rummaged in her handbag and pulled out a pen and a message pad. “Give me your number!” she said.

“What!?” I said, stunned.

“Go on, do it for me if you won’t do it for her. Do it for yourself.” Billy said.

I looked at her heart-shaped face, there was no way I was going to say no to these two, and they knew it. I slowly wrote my name and number on the pad. Niamh looked on approvingly and took the pad and pen when I had finished.

“Thank you” she said, as she put the items back in her handbag and drew out a card which she handed to me. “I’ve seen that look before, and I think I know what it means.” She said, keeping her voice low so that only the three of us could possibly hear. The card was for a beauty parlour. In small writing it said ”LGBT Friendly” underneath the name of the place. I gulped as I read it.

“We’ll be in touch…” said Billy, kindly.

“Yeah, think of us as your fairy god-sisters” chuckled Niamh.

The two girls gave me a hug and got up to leave, I rose to my feet in stunned silence as they left. At the door they turned and both blew me a kiss.

Once they had left I sent back in my chair, the restaurant burst back into life as if everyone had been watching and holding their breath to see what happened next.
I’m pretty sure no one really overheard so no one would know the reason for my slight smile as I put the card away.

up
152 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sweet Christmas

laika's picture

This story seems like it would qualify for the Christmas "spirit of giving" contest ( http://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/blog-entry/63594/bigcloset-top... ) The gift wasn't something huge, no magical zapping away of all your narrator's loneliness and problems, but just a little understanding, a bit of hope, that she could act on or not (and I hope she does, I'm a hopeless sequel junky). Sweet that as wrapped up as the two girls were in each other and their growing romance they noticed and took the time to encourage someone else to not live her life on the sidelines, lost in 'if only's...

I loved this sweet little vignette. Today especially I really needed a bit dolce in my vita...
~hugs, Veronica

Thank you for commenting

Thank you so much for commenting, Veronica. I get a little giddy when I realise anybody wants to read something I've written and getting comments on top of that is just 'icing on the cake'.
I wanted something less dark than my last piece.
I hadn't thought about entering a competition yet, and certainly not a Christmas competition with this, I wrote it several months ago and I've been trying to psyke myself up to put it on BCTS.
I'll follow the link you gave and figure out how to do that, through, thank you for the encouragement.
I guess the gift they gave was hope, at the end of the day that's the best gift their is.

Update - I wrote another story instead

I tried to figure out how to edit this story to enter it into the competition but I couldn't figure it out. So I wrote another story, called 'The Gift', and entered that instead.
Now I've noticed 'The Gift' has typos, so I've PMed Erin to ask her to let me know how I can edit it

So lovely and sweet!

Monique S's picture

I absoluty love it.

Hugs,
Monique.

Monique S