Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 227

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling Off A Thingy
by Wassername
part 227?

The day after our rescheduled Christmas dinner, I decided I needed to start organising myself for hospital, so I laid out nighties and dressing gown, slippers, toiletries etcetera. By that time it was mid morning and I was fed up. I decided as it was a dry day without too much wind to give Ruby a quick ride.

I thought ten or fifteen miles would be enough to decide how much I liked it compared to the Scott. They are both carbon fibre frames and gave a similar ride, I suspect the damping on the Ruby felt a little better and the steering felt a little sharper, but in terms of performance they were comparable. In other words it's a nice bike.

Simon kept saying, 'he'd have to get his bike out'. It never materialises though, and I don't recall seeing one at the cottage, and neither of mine are big enough, he is quite a lot taller than I.

He said it once too often today, I called the bike shop and asked if they had a bike we could hire for him to ride. They did, he he! I informed him in front of Stella who backed me up.

"I've got too many chores to do to go bike riding, it's okay for the chattering classes," he looked at me as he said this, which made me more determined to make him ride.

"You did say you'd have to get your bike out," I reminded him.

"I don't have one any more, so I can't."

"I've arranged to hire one for you."

"I don't have any cycling kit."

"We can sort that."

"Nah, I haven't got time."

"Yes you have," said Stella, "You're just chicken because you're afraid she'll beat you."

"Cathy cycles fairly regularly, I don't. She will certainly beat me. It worries me not one jot."

"Yes it does, I know you brother o'mine, you do not like to lose."

"I wasn't aware we were supposed to be racing."

"If you thought you could win, you would."

"That makes me sound tremendously shallow."

"Simon, you are tremendously shallow. Shallowness is the only thing you have in depth."

"Oh how could you, you've cut me to the quick?"

"Rubbish, you are so thick skinned I'd need a harpoon, unless the bike saddle does it for me." She laughed at this thought.

In the end with two of us at him he agreed to use the bike if he deemed it suitable. I laughed at this. I offered to buy him a pair of cycling pants, and Stella coughed up for a helmet. They would loan him some shoes.

He drove to the shop, I rode there. Due to the traffic going to the sales, we got there at pretty well the same time, which annoyed Simon. I wondered if he'd had some plan for the guy to say he didn't have a bike, but my turning up stopped it. It also acted as a nice warm up for me.

I suppose it took about half an hour for them to measure up a bike and fit him out. He ended up buying a jacket because the one he had in mind was a bit too loose and would flap.

The bike was another Specialized, an Allez, with aluminium frame. I didn't tell him it would be a hard ride. The bike shop owner chucked in a pair of gloves as Simon had spent nearly two hundred on a Gore tex jacket.

Eventually we were done and then it was time for Simon to try and get used to the bike, especially as he hadn't ridden for years and certainly not with clipless pedals.

We walked over to the university campus and I had him riding around the car park, engaging and releasing his shoes from the pedals. He was doing okay, except I knew the problem occurs when you have to disengage at very short notice. I tried to make him aware of this in the car park by almost getting him to do emergency stops. Each one was perfect, maybe he had the hang of it, but I doubted it.

Anyway, Simon decided he was competent enough to go for a ride. I wasn't as sure and asked him again and his reply was of confidence. He was getting some speed up too, although I doubted he'd be able to sustain it for long and I knew the perfect place to call his bluff. I was beginning to enjoy this.

We set off, having agreed a route before hand. He knew the way well enough by car, I had cycled it. I also knew there were two long pulls on it as well as a long downhill. The ups in a car are fine, on a bike it is very different. The route would be about ten miles, he seemed momentarily to get smaller when I mentioned the difference.

"Are you sure you're up to this?"

"Are you?" he replied.

"I'm okay, but I've ridden it before, on a good day I can do it in the even half an hour."

"So I should be able to do it in an hour then?"

"I don't know, it's not a race, we agreed that. So time is irrelevant except to say there are no lights on that bike, so we need to be back before dark. It's just past eleven, you have four hours.

"I could just about walk it in that," he said sounding more confident.

"Not in those shoes," I retorted.

He clomped about a bit and agreed.

We set off and within a mile met the first climb, a long pull up a rise rather than a proper hillclimb. He was having difficulty staying with me on the flat and I was going slowly to try and avoid demoralising him.

"Don't wait for me," he said and when I queried it, he was adamant I should cycle at a comfortable pace for me. I shot off and waited for him the top of the rise. I'd only cycled about two miles, he arrived ten minues later. I have no idea what he was doing, but it wasn't riding on my wheel as he'd suggested he would. Just because he'd read Lance Armstrong's book didn't mean he could cycle like him.

For the next part, I sent him on ahead. I would wait ten minutes before starting to give him a chance.

I did wait too, but had caught him half way up the next rise, no more than two miles ahead. I shouted at him to unclip a shoe. He waved two fingers at me. So I put on a bit of a spurt and shot past him. I waited for him at the top of the rise, he was exhausted and he'd come off. He had run out of steam on the climb and couldn't get his foot out quickly enough.

I think he understood why I kept him practicing the technique of release although he didn't say so directly. He had discovered that there aren't too many things easier than falling off a bike.

up
160 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Shoes?

I'll accept that the fancy-dancy shoes are required for racing, but a casual rider on a rental bike? Sounds like the sort of stunt you pull on the newbie to put him in his place. Which Simon may deserve! Along with the jacket being "a bit too loose and would flap"? Puh-leaze!! I've been given a bike and periodically think of riding it, but I will not go out and buy fancy riding kit; blue jeans and a sweatshirt, maybe my zip up nylon windbreaker should do nicely. Not a smidgeon of spandex or lycra in the bunch!

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

The bike in question

Angharad's picture

is a road bike, ten miles on that sort of saddle without a 'chamois' (a padded seat) in your trousers, could get very uncomfortable. The clipless pedals aren't standard but are most common on road bikes. You can ride them without cycling shoes but they are small and without the correct shoes would be both difficult to maintain either power or comfort - your foot would slide off. The reason for using them is that they hold your foot in the correct position and enable you to 'power' the bike on the upstroke as well as the downstroke. They are about 40%more efficient than clipless pedals.

Angharad

Angharad

Well, maybe

I'll give you the shoes, for the improvement on the upstroke. But it would be a lot easier to pad the seat and wear normal pants, for the casual rider. I know bloody good and well that any bicycle I ride is going to have a well-padded seat! And here I always thought those thick pants Lance & Co. wore were due to the diapers they had on!

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

I understand that...

... The well padded seat is fine for short distances, but once you start going long ones I've been told they are not fun...

And, your windbreaker - Well, I hope yours is more visible than mine. I've got to find something more visible that I have now. Getting run of the road once, was one time too many.

Annette

The more visible you are

The better target you make! Not alot of respect for bicycle riders around these parts, unless it's a kid.

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

I'm not a racer, and don't do long distances either, anymore.

But last year, most of the year I commuted to work, 2-3 times a week, 8 miles each way, on a balloon tired bike with a 7 speed rear axle, wearing my work clothes, leather street shoes or tennies.

As a kid, I had a 2 speed stell framed bike, what we call a cruiser now, and rode it 100 miles round trip, both ways over 2,999 foot, hills to the beach and back a number of times, and 3 times, 150 miles each way ( 3 days each way ), to Yosemite national park, from sea level with a 6,000 foot maximum elevation, with just blue denims, gym shoes, and teeshirts /sweatshirts.

Back then lycra bicycling gear didn't exist ( that I knew of , at least ), and I couldn't afford it if it did.

Now, I've added a helmet, safety orange net vest with reflective tape, and flashing head & tailights.
My bike cost 1/10 of Cathy's and it would handle a trip such as she describes here, quite well.
Unless you are racing, I can't see special racing shoes that clip to the pedal as anything but an unsafety feature.
Holly

One of the most difficult things to give away is kindness.
It usually comes back to you.

Holly

You had a Schwinn Typhoon?

Was it red with white detailing like mine or that cool copper paint?

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Isn't it about choice?

Angharad's picture

Cathy does have ideas of racing and rides and dresses accordingly, Simon fancies riding with her.

The bike I had as a kid was a simple one speed thing with rod brakes that was umpteenth hand when I got it. I rode miles on it. We couldn't afford anything better. In my teens my brother bought a racer and I got to use it, probably rode further on it than he did. Irritatingly he gave it to my younger brother rather than me - story of my life!

I rediscovered cycling about five years ago, although I had dabbled buying bikes at car boot sales and so on, although I didn't ride them much. Since then I have bought four or five bikes from new, although I tend to ride two of them more than the others. A road bike and a MTB which I use for touring, shopping and anything else you can do on a bike. I have also used it to go to work and back, although I tend to have to carry quite a lot of stuff so the panniers get heavy. You can see them on the Gabyzone gallery.

I choose to ride these bikes and what I wear when I do so, whether that is lycra or my ordinary clothes, depends on what I am doing or where I am going, because I can. For the first time in my life I can actually afford it. I'm probably too old to race and also find since srs that I get sore after twenty odd miles, so I can't even try audax. But I still enjoy myself, even if it's only racing myself or old age around one of 'my courses' or trying to get up a hill that beat me last time.

So yes, I'm a frustrated racer - but I love my road bike, even if I shall never race on it, and through it have gone on to ride my other bikes and hopefully keep a little fitter than I otherwise would.

I'm pleased you cycle too Holly, on a bike you choose to ride and in the clothes you choose to wear, but please don't infer others don't have that right.

Angharad

Angharad

Re: Just because he'd read Lance Armstrong's book

Just because he'd read Lance Armstrong's book didn't mean he could cycle like him.

I know this syndrome all too well! I have read Derek Jeter's book; but I have no illusions that I could get ONE hit against Major League pitching, much less over 3,000!

Jenny

Ho boy...

... Simon may have been a good sport about getting started, but Cathy should have known he'd not be able to keep up - having NOT ridden in ages...

No riding in ages - clipping in/out for the first time... Sounds like a recipe for disaster... And the cliff up there sounds like one happened. At least he wasn't run off by a maniacle driver and then made to wear woman's clothing... :-)

Thanks for the fun.

Annette

What a put-down!

I definitely like Stella and thought her remark to her brother, “Shallowness is the only thing you have in depth” was hilarious.

I must say I never thought Cathy would get Simon on a bike. Another good one, Ang.

Hugs,

Gabi.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Aluminium frames ...

... are not necessarily a harsh ride. The new bike I've just built has an ally frame (I decided the £300 I saved from going for the titanium one would buy a lot of components) and is a very comfortable ride, even on the hilly, narrow, bumpy lanes I love to ride ... and I rode a few of them today. Of course the comfort could derive from my home-built wheels. As I use SPD clipless pedals walking isn't too much of a problem either :)

In an ideal world, Simon and Cathy would get a tandem and ride together in harmony into a glorious future. It's possible and great fun as well. Very pleased that you've decided to have a little cycling interlude. I was experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

Geoff

Good idea!

Gaby's mum has a tandem, perhaps if they didn't take it to Germany Cathy can borrow it. ;)

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Tandem

I didn't go back and check, but I think I remember that Jenny did have a tandem, cause they rode it a few times for charity, but I also thought I remembered she had gotten a good deal on a used one to use for any racing she decided to do with one, but maybe she never finished the deal. Or its always possible that was in one of the fanfics. In Questions by Angela Peters, Drew and Dave modified the seat and frame so Drew could carry Freddie on a special ride with her leg braces strapped so she would not slip off.

Yep!

Jenny Bond has/had one, that's where "Gaby" came from - the costume ride, Book 1 Chapter 1. Jenny "Zena" Bond and Drew "Gabrielle" Bond. I figure any mods made in a fanfic can be "undone" by another fanfic. ;)

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Tandem revisited

Thats what I was saying. But I have read them so long and so many times, they blur together a bit. It may have been in a fanfic that the second tandem idea popped up, not the main story line. And Anything can happen in a fanfic, thats one reason they can be fun.

Great idea!

Maybe simon and cathy can go shopping together for a tandem. Rent one first to see how it works. Hope poor Simon can deal with being in teh second seat, not the lead.

Simon and the bike

"He had discovered that there aren't too many things easier than falling off a bike."

Isn't it more that he discovered how easy it is to fall while attached to the bike by both feet? He didn't fall off. He fell with it. Or to be cruel you could say he fell and dragged the bike with him.

Yes, Yes, Yes!

I love the way you worked the name of the story back into the story.

You are definitely more creative in the field of writing than I. [I had a whole bit that went here but something happened and I ended up at the blank sheet page again. I've recreated what I could from memory which isn't much and it's too late at night to try to start all over. It was something about how Simon needs to learn that some people can do some things better than some other people, even if the other person is a woman. Please forgive me?]

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

never final

That would almost be a sweet line to end the story on, but we won't let you.

Well, At Least Now Simon Knows That Cathy

Knows what she is talking about when it comes to bikes. Oh how I wish that Stella was thee to see Simon fall with the bike. Reminds me of how Drew Bond tends to end a race with a trip to the paramedics because he has overdone it. Me, i would love to see Cathy in a few races with Stella cheering hr and Simon worrying about his Cathy.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Clipless Pedals

LibraryGeek's picture

Had to do a Wikipedia crawl to read up on pedals and the various clipless ones, wasn't familiar with the current tech. So this is an educational reading session.

Yours,

JohnBobMead

Yours,

John Robert Mead

Prediction

Someone is going to own a good bike. Since Cathy now has two she is exempt. Simon, given his job, probably could use the exercise.

death by toe clips

Simon probably has a Triumph Trophy socked away someplace.
Great,. a racing suppository for a seat, the good part is you get a free prostate check.
Hey, nice how you worked in the name of this story. Like a Bond film.

Cefin