A Summer's Odyssey IV Chapter 7

Printer-friendly version
A Summer's Odyssey IV

Chapter 7

After the doctors returned to their work Kelly, Ruth and Krista discussed what to do. Kelly was impatiently waiting to get to Ben’s side. Convinced the Clan Wells Point was as good as they seemed she decided to trust them to take care of Grant and Penny. That Ruth and others would be with her while she stayed with Ben only reinforced her budding belief in the Clan. Krista stayed inside in case they came to escort Kelly to the ICU while she headed outside to kiss her children goodbye. Ruth accompanied her to kiss Jamie and Jenny. When they returned Kelly hugged and thanked Krista before Krista headed out to the vehicles. It was 9:00pm when they left for the three and half hour trip home to the CWP.

Liz Rich and her daughter Diana Harris were waiting at the O’Brien homestead when the weary troop arrived from their extended Pennsylvania trip. The car seats with the sleeping children were gently moved to her car. It was only a short detour for Liz to drop Jamie and Jenny off at their home. Since Jamie was a senior no one had an issue with she and Jenny being alone in their house. The neighbors on both sides were close. Krista was swarmed by her parents as well as maternal grandparents and nana Scott. All were concerned about her burns.

Krista blushed as Robert and Ed explained exactly what Krista had done in rescuing the Johnson family. As can be expected she blushed and demurred that she’d just done what needed to be done. After a re-application of burn ointment the exhausted girl headed off to bed. The proud parents and grandparents worried about their impulsive scion but understood there was little they could do to rein in her impulsive heroics.

Krista was tired but energized when she awoke Tuesday morning. Her siblings swarmed her with hugs and kisses before the ate breakfast. Once again they were proud of their older sister. Pat did a quick trim to snip off and even up her singed hair. Krista did give in a bit. She’d washed off the burn ointment when she’d showered intending to go without to school. The tightness and discomfort caused her to reluctantly let Pat put fresh ointment on the burns along with the promise to come to her in the nurse’s office for a reapplication of ointment.

Most of the CWP middle/high school students had heard about Krista’s heroics by the time they gathered for the ride to school. Her burns gave evidence of her brush with death. As they expected Krista demurred to do more than acknowledge she’d helped rescue the family. Jamie and Jenny however couldn’t get done telling about Krista’s bravery.

As the school nurse Pat usually arrived at least fifteen minutes before the first bus. Her first stop was the office to report Krista’s exploits and her injuries as well as her lack of sleep. The principal, Dr. Harris, was once more impressed by the spunky girl.

When Krista arrived at school she was promptly sent to the office where she met Ken Poore the student council president. The school had decided to start the day with an assembly to review and discuss the DC trip.

Krista smiled wearily as she thought about the chaotic three day weekend. Friday evening had been spent preparing for the Veteran’s trip to the DC war memorials. Saturday had been the emotional and often heart wrenching trip to DC. Sunday had been catching up on chores and homework. Monday had been the life changing trip to Pennsylvania and another brush with death. Krista giggled to herself as she wondered if perhaps she might be a cat. She was only fourteen but had already gone through three of her nine lives.

Once in the auditorium Ken, Krista and several teacher chaperones sat on the stage to lead the discussion. Most of the student comments centered on how much they learned from the veteran they assisted. The quiet strength and humility the men exhibited inspired them. The depth of emotion the memorials evoked left most vets nearly speechless with tear streaked cheeks. The students realized the trip shook them emotionally.

They recognized the veterans were real life heroes. They were also brought to the realization that war was not a casual event nor, unfortunately, was it uncommon. World War I, World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, Operation Desert Storm, the current War against Terror, all happened in the last one hundred years. No generation had avoided living through a war. The students had fathers and sometimes brothers and sisters who were veterans or currently active in the Middle East Wars. The War on Terror didn’t look like it would end anytime soon which meant they could be thrown into the unyielding harsh crucible of war. Could they do it? Would they one day have kids looking up to them as heros?

“We can’t waste time worrying about a future we have little control over,” Krista spoke up after discerning the concerns of her fellow students. “The veterans we were with were heros. But not one of them ever set out to be a hero or FELT they were heros. Each did what they had to do when faced with a crisis. It was simply a reaction to the circumstances they found themselves in. Mr. Jablonski, the vet I was with, told me the only thing to do is simply be true to yourself. When our turn comes we’ll do the same.”

“What Krista said is true.” Dr. Harris declared. “Krista is a perfect example of what she said. We know Krista is humble and just like the rest of you. She never brags about what she’s done. Everything she’s done that we consider extraordinary she did because that’s what needed to be done. Leading her sisters hiking from Cape Cod to here, wrestling a murderer for his gun killing him in self defense in the process, saving a little girl who had been raped, blowing apart the Apple Tree scandal, helping pull one of your classmates from a coma. An ordinary girl did those things. In tonight’s news you’ll learn that yesterday Krista did it again. She made a trip to Pennsylvania with her grandfather Robert, Ed Nelson, Ruth Ewell and her daughters, your classmates Jamie and Jenny. On their way home a horrific auto crash occurred on a limited access interstate with a wide grass median. A speeding driver in the north bound lane struck another auto. That car struck a tractor trailer causing it to cross the median and broadside the car traveling south directly in front of Krista and crew. The fuel tank of the tractor was split and ignited. The leaking burning fuel ran under the partially crushed car.”

“Nearly everyone witnessing such carnage would be horrified,” Dr. Harris continued. “Most of the other drivers stopped and whipped out their phones to take pictures. A few ran to help the occupants of the car that hit the tractor trailer. Krista and her grandfather rushed to the smashed car with the fire beneath it. The drivers side was crushed and the car wedged against the hillside. While Robert and Ed used pry bars to open the jammed passenger door, Krista crawled inside through the broken rear window. There were two kids in car seats in the rear seat, a six week old and an eighteen month old. Seeing they were okay and the passenger dazed, she checked the driver. The man’s left arm was trapped and mangled bleeding profusely. Using her belt she applied a tourniquet to keep him from bleeding to death. Then she released the car seats and passed them out the back window to Jamie and Jenny. Flames were licking up the drivers side of the car as the men popped the door and pulled the dazed woman out. Robert ducked back in to pull out the driver but he was trapped, his left arm trapped and mangled. The headliner of the car was burning by then so Krista used her pocket knife to sever the man’s arm so Robert could pull him out. By the time Krista scrambled out the interior was going up in flames. Her jacket was on fire and if you look at her face and hands you can see the first degree burns she suffered.”

The students listened to the tale of Krista’s latest exploits in stunned silence. Those near Jamie and Jenny looked for affirmation and received it.

“It was past midnight, actually early this morning, when they arrived home,” Dr. Harris added. “Yet all three girls are here this morning. Together they saved a family of four who would have otherwise burned to death since no one else even tried to help rescue them. All of them were heroic, but none of them feel that way. I’m sure they’re proud of what they did but they never set out to be heros. I’m also sure they were scared and terrified while they did those things. But each will tell you they merely did what they had to do. They were being true to themselves and what they did was simply their reaction to the circumstances. Each and every one of you might one day be a hero but it’s something you can’t prepare for. We all have the potential to be a hero.”

As the students looked at Krista in her seat upon the stage they could see she was trying not to be the center of attention. She wasn’t looking for praise. They could also see her burns and hastily trimmed hair. The words of the principal eased much of the student’s discomfort about being able to be a hero if the circumstances warranted.

The rest of the week was hectic. Krista’s burns healed and by Friday the redness was no longer tender. The Clan Wells Point women had set up a rotation. Each day one would drive to Hershey. Jane drove up on Tuesday meeting Kelly and Ruth. Together they went to the hospital to see Ben.

While Ben was on morphine he was aware that he’d lost his arm although he had no memory of the accident. He could hardly believe he’d been saved by a fourteen year old girl. The mere idea she’d had the gumption to cut off his arm to free him boggled his mind. He doubted if he could have done the same. To learn she’d been burned by the fire yet stuck to the task was almost impossible for him to accept.

Ben was thankful his family had been saved from a fiery death and had trouble understanding why complete strangers not only put their lives on the line for people they didn’t know but were now offering a new home and family to them. During periods of wakefulness Jane explained more about the Clan Wells Point and shared pictures and films on her computer. Jane answered a lot of questions about Krista. Ben and Kelly were surprised to learn that Krista was transgender.

“I never had a clue,” Kelly declared with amazement. “She’s spunky but all girl.”

“That she is,” Jane smiled. “She’s not the only transgender. In fact all three girls who saved you are transgender.”

Kelly was clearly surprised. “All three! Really?”

“Yes,” Jane smiled. “The Clan Wells Point is LGBT friendly. Of the ninety people in clan four are male to female transsexuals, one is a female to male transsexual, two are lesbian and four are gay. I hope that isn’t an issue.”

“Not at all,” Ben blurted out a bit defensively. “As an interracial couple we’ve experienced a great deal of hate and prejudice. That won’t be a problem for the clan will it?”

“I don’t foresee any issues,” Jane replied. “While you will be the first black member, we all work with blacks and latinos. None of us have issues with race, gender, orientation, or religion. Rest assured, since Krista invited you to join us, no one will have any issues. It’s simply not in us.”

On Wednesday Lisa Nelson joined them in Hershey. After a few hours Ruth headed home. Ben went in for what was hoped to be his final surgery.

Thursday Sarah Spade arrived in the morning and Jane headed home in the afternoon. It was Friday before they began to wean Ben off the morphine and began light physical therapy. It was tough addapting to the loss of his arm and he seriously wondered if he could ever be useful. Friday Evelyn Masters arrived and Lisa headed home. Saturday Rachel Masters came up with two passengers, Freddy Grant and Barney Flint.

The teens sat with Barney to explain that life did go on after losing a limb and that life could be good. The fact Freddy had two artificial legs and Barney had an artificial arm went a long way in giving Ben hope. They showed him videos of last year’s Christmas dance to prove their state of recovery two months after their accident. The boys rode back home with Sarah as did Kelly. Ben knew she was missing Grant and Penny. He had assured her he’d be okay while she was gone, especially since Evelyn and Rachel were staying.

Liz greeted Kelly with a hug then took her to the living room where Diana was watching the kids. Kelly smiled to see seven year old James playing with Grant and soon to be five year old Karen entertaining Penny. Grant’s face exploded in smiles when he saw his mother, launching himself at her. Penny, gurgling happily, was equally glad to see her mother. Robert and Krista took Kelly and her children on a tour of the Clan Wells Point including showing them one of the open apartments above CWP Daycare. While only two bedrooms, the kids could share for a few years until a bigger house was secured. After the tour they headed to the barn at the O’Brien homestead where a full Clan meal and meeting took place. At first Kelly was a bit intimidated by the sheer number of people but they were so friendly she was soon put at ease. Kelly was brought to tears by the open welcome. That night she slept with her children, her first night of true rest since the accident.

The next morning Kelly tearfully kissed her children goodbye and joined Betty Boswell for the trip to Hershey with Krista. Ben was pleased by Kelly’s enthusiastic positive report about the Clan Wells Point and how well their kids were doing.

“Ben, the most wonderful person in the world is here to see how you’re doing,” Kelly smiled after reporting on her trip.

Quirking his eyebrows Ben looked to the door.

A smiling teen girl entered. “Hello Ben. I’m really glad to see you’re looking a lot better than the last time I saw you.”

Ben was momentarily confused. He couldn’t recall every having met the cute girl. Then it hit him. “You’re the one who saved my family,” he declared as he looked at her with awe disbelieving she could have done the things he’d been told she did. “Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, thank you.” Tears of gratefulness began to trickle from his eyes.

Krista bit her lips as she struggled to hold back her tears. “You’re more than welcome.” Then she leaned over the bed from his good side to gently but firmly hug him.

As Ben returned the hug as best as he could he saw the fading redness on Krista’s hands and left cheek. After breaking the hug Ben asked, “How were you able to do it? How could you endure the flames to save a stranger? My God, how could do all that and cut off my arm?”

Krista understood he wasn’t questioning that it was necessary to severe his arm. “Remembering what I did terrifies me,” Krista softly admitted with a shiver. “I’ve done a lot of things that terrify me. I can still see the face of the man I killed, I can feel the bullets from his gun hitting me. It was him or me, my boyfriend, and his mother. I was the only one in shape to take him on. If I find myself in a situation where something needs to be done, I just do it. I’m not a hero, it’s just how I’m made.”

After that Krista explained that the Clan Wells Point was the result of her family and friends joining together to help other. Ben, Kelly and Krista spent over an hour discussing the clan. The hopes of the couple were soaring.

Krista rode home with Sarah that afternoon. Even after meeting the spunky heroine Ben could hardly believe she had the courage to do what she’d done to save his family. He was so impressed that he didn’t even think about the fact she a transsexual. When he did he understood it didn’t really matter. As far as he was concerned Krista was all girl. Monday Ruth returned and Janet home. The seven women continued on that rotation.

With the support he was receiving from his wife and the Clan Wells Point Ben’s recovery was moving along ahead of schedule. The psychiatric issues that went along with losing a limb were present but greatly reduced. Having met Barney and Freddy had done a lot to ease his state of mind. On Wednesday Lisa told Dr. Scornavachi during Ben’s daily exam that the CWP operated the CWP Youth Rehab Hostel and that clan member Dr. Olsen was a rehab physician with the University of Maryland Shore Medical Center at Easton, the Requard Rehab Center for Acute Rehabilitation. It was easy for Dr. Scornavachi to verify Dr. Olsen’s credentials. After consultation between the two physicians both felt it would benefit Ben to be home with his family. Dr. Olsen made arrangements to come up on Saturday with Rachel to meet with Dr. Scornivachi to review Ben’s condition and conduct a joint exam.

So it was that on Saturday November 22 that both physicians were satisfied with Ben’s progress as well as Dr. Olsen’s ability to see to Ben’s needs. Ben was cleared to go to his new with the Clan Wells Point. Robert, Tony, and Krista had driven up separately in Robert’s truck with the flatbed trailer. They emptied the Johnson’s apartment while Ben was being examined. Once he was discharged Evelyn drove Rachel, Dr. Olsen, Kelly, and Ben back to their nearly emptied apartment so the couple could make sure nothing was missed.

Ben still had trouble believing the Clan Wells Point was taking in his family. Not only were they taking them in and moving them to Bozman they paid off their credit cards, back rent, paid the still outstanding bills for Penny’s birth and promised to pay whatever medical bills would remain after the vehicle insurances paid. A lawsuit had already been filed against the deceased speeder’s estate to recover all current and future medical expenses, loss of use damages as well as significant punitive damages.

Rachel rode back to Bozman with Robert, Tony and Krista to give the those in the car a bit more room. The pace was relaxed to prevent excessive bouncing giving Ben a gentler ride. As they turned onto MD Route 33 they slowed down to show Ben and Kelly points of interest around their new home.

“The peninsula is known as the Bay Hundred,” Evelyn explained. “That’s a left over from the colonial period where the representative governing body was based on one hundred voters. The peninsula had a hundred voters. The peninsula is a part of Talbot county that extends into the Chesapeake Bay. St. Michaels is the main town. One of the earliest industries was ship building. Up through the 1950s oystering and fishing were primary industries. Now quite a few of the businesses cater to tourists which means we have a lot of crafts and boutiques. One of the main attractions is the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum. Once you’re feeling stronger you can tour the site. It’s quite interesting.”

“The Clan as we call ourselves is based around Wells Point which is Krista’s family’s ancestral lands,” Evelyn said. “Just outside of town the land hooks south to Tilghman Island. We live down a long finger extending south before the Tilghman hook. The Bay Hundred area has hundreds of creeks and well over a hundred miles of coastline. The clan land consists of a majority of the bottom third of the finger.”

“The Clan Wells point is just over a year old,” Evelyn continued. “As you’re aware we coalesced around Krista. I guess you could say she’s our moral compass. She’s motivated us to emulate her openness and willingness to help. We’ve tripled in size both people and land wise since we started.

It didn’t take long until they turned into the lane of the CWP Daycare. “Here we are, your new home,” Evelyn said. “You’re apartment is on the second floor above the daycare.”

As Ben exited the car he was surrounded by dozens of smiling faces greeting and welcoming him. Grant and Penny were front and center. Tears of relief and happiness trickled down his cheeks as he carefully hugged and kissed his children. Again he couldn’t believe these strangers had not only saved him and his family, they were now welcoming them to a new home and future with open arms. He snuggled with Kelly and the kids as people began to unload the truck and trailer. In less than half an hour everything had been carried into their new home. Krista, Tony, Jaz, Jimmy, Phil, Dwayne, Jenny and Sam stayed to help unpack and move the furniture where they wanted. Once assured they were settled in the teens left.

“They were all so open and friendly,” Ben marveled. “I’ll admit I had more than a bit of fear they’d be against me for being black but I didn’t see any evidence of prejudice. I hate to say this but maybe the accident was the best thing to happen to us. I’m starting to feel we finally have a home for our family and a future.”

“All I’ve seen is acceptance and encouragement,” Kelly replied. “The family that kept Grant and Penny didn’t have any issues that they’re racially mixed. That family has only been here since July. The youngest daughter and her two children were rescued by the clan in her time of need after her dad disowned her. The dad was a megalomaniac, owned a construction company in Vancouver and when he had a massive heart attack the clan flew her and the kids home in a charter jet in time to say goodbye. The widow, two sons and one daughter with their children had no idea of the business status so the clan sorted it out. It was bankrupt. They invited the entire family to move here. They’re just so open and honest!”

As planned Robert arrived to pick them up to take them to what was by then being called The Clan Barn on the O’Brien homestead. Every member of the clan greeted them with a round of applause. Introductions were made and a brief meeting was held during which the Johnsons were accepted as the newest members of the Clan Wells Point. Kylie was just finishing the full mechanical rebuild of a 1999 Ford Escort station wagon that would be turned over to the Johnsons after CWP Collision and Repair repaired the body and repainted it. Once more the newest members were simply blown away by the generosity and warm welcome.

Kylie and Larry impressed them. Just as they had issues believing Krista, Jenny and Jamie were transgirls they had difficulty believing Kylie had ever been male. The way she doted on the Sonny and Rayne was total mother. That she was also a mechanic and head of CWP Engine & Mechanical Repair only added to their admiration. With Larry heading the CWP Organic Farm the fact that young people were heading Clan operations boggled their minds. The banquet that followed let the newest members understand joining the Clan Wlls Point was the best thing to ever happen to them. The Clan Wells Point was now ninety four members strong.

In other business the clan decided that with the seamless absorption of the Jablonski farm and the success of the milking parlor and the manure digester to increase the dairy herd to four hundred head. Even using the excess heat to heat the CWP farm and house, the Ewell home and the building of CWP landing there was still plenty left over. They planned to extend the heating to all the nearby buildings; Robert and Sheila’s home, the CWP Law and Accounting offices, the barn across the street, the CWP Metal Works, the CWP B&B and the O’Brien homestead and barn.

Larry reported the research he’d done on wind turbines. “With our location on the Chesapeake Bay and the relatively flat surrounding terrain wind is in steady and regular supply. Winds of five mph and greater are available on average twenty hours a day. Horizontal wind turbines pivot to follow the wind and have large propeller blades. The main problem they present for Wells Point is that with all the local wet lands we have a very large bird population. Any spinning blades would kill birds. Added to that is the hum and whomping sounds. Those are the main reasons there aren’t too many wind farms in the area.”

“Those issues can be eliminated with smaller vertical axis wind turbines with helix blades,” Larry went on. “At ten feet in diameter and thirty feet high they wouldn’t be eyesores. That size will generate five kilowatts per hour in a five mph wind and easily handle winds of ninety mph. The units max out at twenty kwh at twenty mph. Since the blades don’t pivot with the wind they remain in the same plane at all times. The blades can be encased inside steel frames with metallic screening which will eliminate bird and bat strikes. In addition the power plant is mounted on the base providing easier maintenance.”

“Five kwh doesn’t sound like much,” Larry explained. “But the average use for homes is one and half kwh. Each turbine can easily power three homes. With higher wind speeds producing more power we’ll produce a lot more power than we need even with four hours down time a day. We can build units at the sides of the lanes on CWP property in areas outside the forested lands. Spacing the units fifty feet apart in unobstructed areas I estimate we can build four hundred units. I suggest building twenty a month so it would take us twenty months. This is all green energy and we’ll be classified as a commercial supplier so we have control of the rates for what we sell. At current market electricity rates we’ll pay off our investment in three years.”

“If we vote to go ahead I suggest we create a new business, the CWP Green Power Initiatives,” Larry stated. “We’ll need three full time employees, a two person maintenance crew and one full time office manager to head the operation. CWP Contracting and Construction can handle the installations which will reduce our start up costs.”

With that a unanimous vote was taken to create the CWP Green Power Initiatives.

“Ben,” Robert turned to the newest clan member. “You earned an associates degree in Renewable Energy Technologies at the Pennsylvania College of Technology in Williamsport.”

“Yes Sir, I did,” Ben replied hopefully. “But I couldn’t find a job in that field.”

“Well, I think you’ll be the ideal person to head up the CWP Green Power Company,” Robert smiled. “That is if you’re interested in the position?”

“Yes sir!” Ben excitedly exclaimed as tears of joy leaked from his eyes. Two years of having his hopes and dreams dashed in ever getting a job involving green energy he was now being granted his desire in aces. Not only would he be working in the green energy field, he’d be heading the business!

Kelly had tears of joy flowing as she hugged her husband. The entire clan congratulated him with handshakes and hugs.

The next few days were typical for the clan. Ben was taken on a tour where he checked out every operation. Still recuperating, Ben was able to spend about three hours on the go before he had to take a break. With a fast internet connection he was able to verify Larry’s research on the vertical wind turbines.

The fact the CWP was so ecologically conscious and making real progress towards meeting all their electrical needs from renewable sources made him feel eager to become a contributing member. Ben found the manure digester, which would fall under the auspices of the newly formed CWP Green Power Initiatives quite fascinating. Ben quickly realized the digester was being underutilized. The unit processed manure in an enclosed system producing methane gas. The gas was captured, compressed into liquid for storage in a two thousand gallon tank and used to run a one hundred kwh internal combustion generator. With larger manure processing more gas than could be consumed was being produced. The excess gas was compressed into three additional two thousand gallon tanks. Ben’s suggestion was to convert all the farm vehicles to dual fuel usage using thirty pound portable tanks like those used on industrial forklifts. There would still be capacity remaining so additional vehicles could be converted to dual fuel usage. How many would be determined by the availability of methane. The savings in gasoline would pay off the investment in a few months.

When he told Larry the young man slapped himself in the forehead. “Sometimes I wonder where my mind is. Using the excess methane to fuel the farm vehicles was one of my initial objectives with the digester. I got so wrapped up in getting the farm up and running and building the digester that aspect slipped my mind. Of course, that was also the time Kylie was in Thailand having her SRS surgery.”

“I fully understand how things can slip away from you,” Ben sighed. “Kelly and I met in college and hit it off. When she told her parents she was dating an African American they went through the roof. So much for their being ‘liberals’. Kelly was devastated. I was embarrassed when my parents were just as bad. They told us if we continued dating we’d be disowned. We were in love and defied them. We hoped that when we announced our engagement they’d see we were in love and accept us but they didn’t. Up till then they’d been financially helping us but we were instantly cut off. We weren’t living together but without their aid we couldn’t afford our rents and we’d just started our last year in school. Needless to say we were angry. Pooling our meager finances we found a rundown efficiency apartment. Between semesters we had more free time but no money so we... well Grant was born nine months later. As soon as we realized we were pregnant we tried once more to get our parents onboard but met stone walls. We married as soon as we could.”

“I found a full time third shift job so we’d have health insurance and could afford a bigger place,” Ben continued. “We managed to graduate with good grades but there were no jobs in my field in the area and I simply couldn’t go off for job interviews. After Grant was born Kelly landed the paralegal job. My green energy industry career just slipped away from me. Life has a tendency to derail our hopes and plans.”

“I hear you,” Larry agreed. “Now, I’ll ask Kylie to check into what’s needed to convert vehicles to dual fuel usage and the cost. Can you check on the price of thirty pound fuel tanks and mounting brackets?”

“Sure,” Ben answered with a smile happy to be able to dive into his dream career.

“As soon as we get the costs you and I will present it to the CWP directors,” Larry explained. “If they give us the green light we order the parts we’ll need.”

Ben seemed a bit surprised. “Doesn’t the clan as a whole need to approve before we move ahead?”

“No,” Larry said. “What we’re asking for falls under your purview with the CWP Green Power Initiatives. The directors have the authority to give you the go ahead. At the next clan meeting you simply report what you’re doing. Once a budget is set up for your operation, you won’t need to get approval for normal budgeted operating expenses.”

The preparations began on Monday in the Clan Barn. Pies were baked and refrigerated. Turduckens were created. Stuffing prepared, cookies baked. Thanksgiving morning at 3:00am the turduckens went into ovens. At 11:00am the Clan Wells Point loaded the prepared meals into vehicles. A large caravan with half the clan members set out. The three vehicles stopped off at St. Luke’s United Methodist Church in St. Michaels, ten vehicles went to St. Mark’s United Methodist Church in Easton, three vehicles went to St. Paul’s United Methodist Church in Cordova, three vehicles went to Scott’s United Methodist Church in Trappe and three vehicles went to Waters United Methodist Church in Oxford. Each of the four groups carried their goodies into the churches banquet area and set up. People down on their luck, the elderly, the lonely, the disabled began to arrive to enjoy a genuine home made delicious Thanksgiving dinner. In all eight hundred seventy three people were served in the four Talbot County Churches. No one left hungry. After cleaning up, each group returned to The Clan Barn for their own CWP Thanksgiving meal.

After the meal Krista addressed the assembled CWP. “I’ve been thinking about what happened to the Johnsons. By now you all realize that’s dangerous.”

Grins and chuckles were endemic amongst the listeners.

“Being in the hospital is not a fun experience,” she continued. “We pulled together for the Johnsons and they now have a bright future. But what about other people who might have no where to turn for help? Not one of us can deny that despite the investment of time and hard work what we did today for the needy of Talbot County feels wonderful! I’d like us to continue reaching out to others. Visiting the hospital brought back memories of Jasmine’s ordeal. Seeing the needy little kids today as we fed them almost ripped my heart out. I feel compelled to do something for kids who will be in the hospital or who are homeless, especially for Christmas. I have an idea but will need your help. I’d like to knit or crochet soft cuddly teddy bears. The problem is I have no idea how to go about doing so. Can you help me?”

The response was quick and enthusiastic. Several of the 40ish and over women volunteered to show the younger girls how to knit and crochet. A few even had patterns for teddy bears as well as rabbits. One even had a pattern for a cabbit. Plans were made for evening instructional and manufacturing sessions.

Spurred on by Krista’s idea, Robert made another suggestion. “I don’t mean to sound sexist but the reality is by the time we’re able to know the differences between boys and girls we’re already segregated by gender. Some of the boys might be too macho for stuffed animals. Some of our boys might not want to knit or crochet yet still want to help. When my sons were small we were just beginning our business and money was tight. I had access to scrap wood so I began to make wooden toys. Cars, trucks, blocks, puzzles and even building sets. All were sanded smooth and painted. I wouldn’t mind teaching the older boys how to make wooden toys. The younger boys can sand and paint them. Before anyone says more, I know and understand the clan does not accept forcing anyone into a specific gender stereotype. Any boy who wants to knit or crochet can do so just as any girl who wants to work with wood would be welcomed.”

“You know,” Leroy said thoughtfully. “When we grew bigger you made us ride on wooden toys and rocking horses. You even made animals we could sit on to use on the swing set. Maybe we can look into a new business for the CWP. Making and selling hand crafted toys. People are willing to pay for high quality. We could even make swing sets, castles, forts and houses.”

Every one liked the ideas and discussion of the new opportunities swept through the gathered clan. Krista’s idea of making toys for the poor and hospitalized kids for Christmas was instituted. Research into the manufacturing idea was also approved.

up
149 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I do enjoy how anyone in the

I do enjoy how anyone in the Clan can offer an idea or ideas and everyone votes on it or them. If liked, it or they are passed and at least tried out. If they do not do as planned, they are removed and others take their place.
Also glad that everyone accepts others regardless of color, creed, education, or working skills; and/or background. That is definitely what we all need to see in this day and age.

once again

Alecia Snowfall's picture

once again; compassion smiles, using the face of young girl named Krista.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Keep Up with the Clan

Beoca's picture

The Clan Wells Point continues to gallop forward spewing out compassion and good ideas like such things are going out of style. Not sure what will come of the toys, but it ought to be interesting.

Just what i needed.

Just lately i have been feeling very down and depressed.Your story was just what i needed to feel better.Thank you for a lovely story.

This is one incredible

This is one incredible ongoing story. I am starting to see certain parallels between this story and the Oz books by L. Frank Baum and successors. Krista is the Dorothy of Clan Wells Point. Also, the emerald pendant and earrings, another interesting parallel. Keep up the wonderful work.