Big Sister Epilogue

Printer-friendly version
Big Sister Epilogue

A few years later, funding cuts from the county forced the closure of where my sister called home. This forced my sister home, in the care of my parents. She got her room back, since I went to college where I majored in psychology. My hope is that one day there would be some treatment that would reach Carla. I spent so many weekends getting to know my sister, eventually she thought of me as hers. Sadly, to this day I don’t think she actually knows we’re siblings. I do see some sadness in her eyes for the brother that no one ever speaks of. She never raised his name, in truth neither did I.

She was there for my wedding; it broke my heart when she refused to be my Maid of Honor. She told me, my “sister should have that honor.” I couldn’t bring myself to pursue it further. Lyle and I were married with her as one of my bridesmaids and I had no “Maid of Honor.” She thought it sweet that our dad would walk me down the aisle.

Eventually, in my research, I came across what had happened to my sister. Her name was not referenced, but enough of what I had heard about the ordeal the women had been put through was unmistakable. So many lives shattered. How many more were there like Carla, or worse even.

It broke my heart going through page after page of stories that were not published as part of the research. Only contacting the researchers directly granted me a look into the world of such depravity. Personal stories, recordings, even the crayon drawings brought me to tears. Thankfully, I have Lyle (and Mr. Nibbles when Lyle’s away on business) to comfort me.

I have learned that there is much evil in the world, but along with it, so many people helping victims of such abuse. They work tirelessly and thanklessly with the strength of will to endure. It gives me hope that my Big Sister will be well again. I hope when she does get well, she finds her little sister as strong and enduring as herself.

up
214 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

well writen

jennifer breanna's picture

Very good story. Kinda heart breaking.

Jenni

Heartbreaking

Not a Disney ending but realistic. And very sad. :-(


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Carla's heroism

Leila, I especially like your last paragraph.

Omg

Such a heart wrenching story!! =[ I hope that she can make it back through the haze sooner rather than later.

Sara

Thank you

Thank you for this story. It felt very real.

Thank you all for reading, commenting and encouraging.

Thank you all for reading, commenting and encouraging. I appreciate the input. I'm always nervous about the stories I send out into the world. This is my second 'long story' here. I was writing and posting on the fly (sorry about the typos and grammatical errors). I was worried that if I didn't get each chapter out, my nerves would reassert themselves and I'd I wouldn't work up the courage to post it. (The unfortunate fate of so many of my other stories)

For those of you who may have wanted to know of Carla's ordeal and her story; I'm sorry if I didn't delve to deeply into it. Her fate and her ordeal was the subject of a much darker work, already completed. I felt it should not be published to this site. I couldn't bring myself to write another account her ordeal. I wanted her alive, happy, and hopeful. I needed her to be.

Huggles,
Leila

Thank you

tmf's picture

Thank you for giving us this wonderful sad painful story.
I think you're right about Carla's ordeal, it probably would be to hard for me and a lots of us. Finding some other place to post it might not be a bad thing.....

Take care of yourself.
Hugs tmf

Peace, Love, Freedom, Happiness

A very, very nice, but also a

A very, very nice, but also a very sad story. Not all stories have a happy ending, and this one proves that. So many who are abused do not recover as many might believe. They are left in their own little "world" and it is extremely hard, if not impossible to get them out of it.
I do hope that Carla will be able to once more rejoin "real life" and be the big sister Angela wants.
Thank you for the story. Looking forward to more later.

Sad

Daphne Xu's picture

Sad epilogue. All too likely true in reality.

I'm still wondering about the alleged jailhouse suicides.

-- Daphne Xu

Believable ending

Jamie Lee's picture

The real Carla not reappearing after all she endured happens in real life. It sometimes takes years before some event acts as a trigger which brings the true personality to the surface, and healing can begin. And sometimes that personality is never seen again.

Angie going into psychology, after everything she experienced, should not come as a surprise. Her main drive is hoping to one day having HER Carla back. Because of all those experiences, she should become a very much in demand psychologist. One who is so able to empathize with her patients.

We seem to be programmed for happy endings in the stories we read, maybe because we rarely see it in the real world and need to find it somewhere. But it is rare to find a story which mimics life so closely where a happy ending does not appear as we'd like.

Not only was this a nicely written story but written is such a way which kept the reader wanting more. I'd like to see more about Angie and Carla because I'm one who likes what I consider happy ending. An ending where after many years, that one event occurs which bring the real Carla personality back and allows her healing to finally begin. But that wouldn't be congruent with the main story, or be easy to write or maybe impossible to read.

As this story ends, we are left with our imaginations seeing a time when Carla finally wakes up and sees her sister Angie. We are left with our abilities to create our own, happy ending.

Others have feelings too.

An uncomfortable hole

Cindy Lou's picture

Really tough stuff to deal with. Thanks for all the work.

There is one spot that still hurts me. It pointed to a possible lead to healing that hinged on Angie. When Carla said she had a brother and didn't understand why her parents didn't talk about him, it made a direct connection to the homecoming scene that had two distinct parts. First, Carla was violently angry at him/her; then she became big sister for a very short time. Is it worth hanging on to a hard "won" gender identity to drop the possible connection? Not as giving up femininity, but as in not ignoring the past and its healing power? Its just a question that begs an answer... even in the night mares.

If you ever polish the story up for publishing, I hope you have the energy to flesh out the last few chapters to be as complete as the first few. For me, it went rather quickly. There is so much richness to allow for family connections to counselling, Angie's relationship with Dad that might have them talking about dreams (and the results of sharing), finishing out the emotionally wrenching scenes, ... and such. I would also be interested to know about the process of Carla's counselling and what led to decisions to keep her institutionalized.

Sorry if my comments suggest a novelette where you really meant to do a long short story. I don't make comments like these unless I see such effort and good writing. It was a good read. Thanks!

The Xander Solution

I'm glad you enjoyed the story.

"Big Sister" was difficult to write and I did find that I was racing through the latter portions of the story. I may revisit this story, but not anytime soon, my original story which deals with Carla's ordeal (Carly in the other work) from which this is based, sent me into a very dark place, one that I was desperately trying to 'write myself out of'. I was trying to get to 'daylight' as fast as I could. The eplilogue was me "breaking through to see that daylight" enough to move onto other projects (ironic that the subsequent projects are all still tragedies).

I'm still very inexperienced as a writer and I hope to mature enough in my writing that I can preserve the authenticity of the emotions I'm trying to convey without having the narrative affect me so emotionally.

In retrospect, I don't know that Angie has enough perspective within her to pretend to be Xander convincingly enough to bring Carly out into reality. I'm not sure that anyone would make the connection either. I doubt anyone treating Carly would think dressing Angie as a boy would be therapeutic for Carly.

Carly did share with Angie that she longed for her long lost brother. Since their parents never brought him up, it would hinge on either Angie or Carly broaching 'Xander' and the other reacting. Carly did and Angie didn't draw the connection. Angie instead reacted to her own broken sisterly bond with Carly, a much greater source of anguish for Angie. I don't think Angie would be unwilling, just unable to be Xander.

Thanks for commenting and I appreaciate the advice on improving my writing!
Hugs,

Leila