Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 231

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling Off A Cloud.
by Angharad
part 231.

I did not want to get up and turned away from the alarm. In doing so my flailing arm caught Simon on his buttocks - he was lying face down, and there was a squeal of agony, which was far louder than the clock radio.

I sat up with a jolt, "Wassamaatta?"

"You hit me," he whimpered.

"What?" I wasn't aware of much at all.

"You hit me on my sore bum."

"What!" I asked again, thinking it ridiculous that I should hit him.

"You turned over and your arm hit me."

"Aw diddums," I said feeling anything but sympathetic, "has babba got a nappy rash?"

"It's alright for you to laugh," he said disgruntled.

"Laugh! I'm not laughing Simon, I'm ready to burst into tears. I hardly slept a wink all night and you are now accusing me of assaulting you. I will if you like - no, don't tempt me." I leapt out of bed and went to the loo. If I'd stayed there a moment longer I may well have done him some real harm.

I walked back into the bedroom, he was still lying on his front. I was about to go down to calm down with a cuppa and he called to me.

"Cathy, can you help, I can't move."

"Bloody hell!" I said loudly and jumping on the bed pushed him off. He rolled and landed on his bottom.

"Ouch! That was unnecessary..."

I didn't listen, I was out the door and down the stairs. Now I really knew what someone with PMS was like, the way I was feeling I could pull the head off a grizzly bear with one hand behind my back, while eating my cereal with the other.

"Morning Cathy, are we doing a roast today?"

I ignored Tom's question and boiled the kettle.

"Did you hear what I said?"

"My hearing is fine," I snapped back.

"Oh, who stole your lollipop?"

I chose to ignore it and walked out of the kitchen into the dining room. Wisely, Tom decided not to follow me. I was not good company.

Stella wandered in, doubtless sent by Tom. "Hi Sis, how ya doin'?"

"I'm not, I'm going to drink this then I am going for a ride on my bike. You can tell that stupid brother of yours that he is welcome to come with me, but he'd better keep up because I won't be waiting for him."

"Oh, like that is it?"

"Yes it is, why, what's it to you?"

"Are you going to tell me what all this is about or do I have to beat it out of you?"

"Ha, what makes you think you can do that? If I remember correctly I had to save your arse last time."

"You did indeed, for which many thanks and this!"

I didn't see it coming, the slap I mean. It actually knocked me off my chair. Thankfully I had just finished my tea.

I was sprawled on the carpet clutching my face. God it was stinging! "What was that for?"

"You asked for it remember?"

"I didn't."

"Get up!" ordered Stella.

"You're not my mother!" I sneered back at her.

"No I'm your sister, now bloody well get up or I shall hit you again!"

Sullenly I obeyed then sat in the chair from which she had recently deposed me.

"Now are you going to tell me what's up or do we do another round?"

I stared at the table, with tears forming in my eyes, "No."

"No what?"

"No you don't need to hit me again."

"So talk."

"I am tired, I'm not sleeping."

"Why not?"

"Dunno, maybe it's because I'm a bit scared."

"Scared of what?"

"All sorts of things."

"Like what?"

"I don't really know, everything and nothing."

"Like surgery and hospitals?"

"Yes," I nodded as well and the motion dislodged a tear which was quickly followed by another and then a stream of them.

"Are you having second thoughts?"

I shook my head 'no', now sobbing.

"Are you sure?" she asked.

I nodded as emphatic a yes as I could, which only made the tears flow faster.

"Oh Cathy," she put her arm around me and I allowed her to hug me before I completely lost it. Lost was a good word, I felt completely and utterly lost, even in her strong arms I felt as if I was adrift in an ocean of emotion.

I cried my heart out and she held me and stroked my back. "I'm sorry I slapped you, but I had to shock you out of this state you were in, or you were going to hurt yourself."

"I'm sorry I was nasty to you," I sobbed.

"That's okay Sis, I understand. You have a lot of pressure on you at the moment and a very big day approaching. You know that we're all here for you, don't you?"

"I don't know, I pushed Simon off the bed and hurt him, and I snubbed Tom, so why should they be nice to me?"

"Because they love you."

"I don't know if I deserve it."

"Oh you silly girl, of course you do. We all have moods like this from time to time and you have been so strong for so long, dealing with car crashes and the media and then Stevie's untimely death. You have had so much on your plate recently. A mere mortal would have broken down long ago, but even you super heroes have the odd bad day."

I pushed away and looked her in the face, "What?"

"Well you zap about the place like Bat girl on amphetamines, performing miracles or saving lives, mine in particular; healing broken families so they could say goodbye to a dying child. Want me to continue?"

"No, I suppose not," I sniffed, "I didn't do anything."

"That's your estimation. I wasn't going to say anything to you, but I know the Royal Humane Society is putting you forward for an award after you saved that baby from the car fire."

"What for, I only did what anyone else would have done?"

"I don't think so Cathy, it would be nice if we did or even if we could aspire to it, but you are special."

"No I'm not, I'm just plain ordinary Cathy Watts, dormouse watcher."

Stella laughed, "You don't get it, do you?"

"Get what?"

"You have a bigger heart than a blue whale."

"Is that what is causing these lumps on my chest," I said pointing at my breasts.

Stella laughed loudly, "You silly bugger, gi's a hug."

We embraced each other and laughed, then we giggled for several minutes and by that time we were both exhausted.

Eventually we went to get some breakfast, Simon was in the kitchen and stepped back from me. "I'm sorry I was mean to you," I said.

"I should think so, do you realise..."

"Enough Simon," said Stella firmly.

"But she could have...."

"I said enough," I suspect she shot him a withering glance and he stopped as if someone had removed his batteries. He went on making his toast.

Stella sat me at the small table in the kitchen and began to make me some toast, Simon sat opposite me, looking at me strangely.

"Have you been crying?"

I nodded and felt some more tears in my eyes.

"What's that red mark on your face, it looks like a hand prin.... Stella, did you have anything to do with this?"

"Why, do you want one too?"

"Don't be ridiculous, why did you hit Cathy?"

"Cos I felt like it."

"Look here, you can't go around hitting people...."

"Simon, it's okay, I asked for it."

"Here hold these against it," she passed me a bag of frozen peas, which she wrapped in a tea towel.

"Women, if I live to be a hundred, I'll never understand women!" Simon exclaimed and limped out of the kitchen. His movement was so unnatural that we both sniggered.

"I heard that," he called from the hallway. Of course that made us laugh louder. "Don't go in there," we heard him advise Tom, "there's a couple of frenzied females in there."

"Sounds like my kinda place," replied Tom who burst into the kitchen singing, "New York, New York."

"You're all barmy," called Simon, "If I had the strength, I'd call for the men in white coats."

"You'd be the first one they'd take," riposted Stella, "then the poor man's Michael Ball."

I snorted and Tom stopped in mid-song, "I'll have you know my voice was much sought after."

"What by the FBI or the Noise Abatement Society?" quipped Stella.

"You cruel, cruel woman." He looked at her for a moment, "No it neither of those, it was a local farmer his bird scarer had broken down."

I snorted again and somehow managed to have something go down the wrong way because I started to cough and choke alternately, enough for Stella to start whacking me on the back and Tom to get me a glass of water.

I began to wonder if the hospital may actually be safer than this madhouse?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feel free to comment and expand my ego to the size of Australia!

up
177 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I should think

You mean "deflate" to the size of Australia! ;)

Cathy getting an award from the Humane Society for saving a baby? In the U.S. the Humane Society is all about animals. Come to think of it, babies do fall in that category, don't they?

And I can certainly understand Cathy's mood, I've had a few years like that myself. God knows she is entitled to the odd bit of stress-induced moodiness about now. But do quit picking on poor Simon.

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Ooooo Bad Karen!

Babies are cute and adorable... And they are always so even temperted and well behaved (at least when they're someone else's)...

I was surprised about the Humane Society reference as well... But just figured it was cause I lived on the left side of the pond.

Annette

Not even Prozac

Could make me like a baby! They start to become tolerable about 3-4 years old. I think that may be one of the reasons why my niece doesn't like me, she plopped one of her kids down in my lap one time and I promptly handed her back, saying "This isn't my responsibility, I've been fixed".

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Cathy Is In Need

Of Stella's brand of love right now. Yes, Cathy is having a few qualms about the surgery and she has had a lot on her plate recently. Cathy needs some down time right now.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Sorry!

I've been out of town at a family wedding (beautiful ceremony and fattening reception!) and have just read a bunch at a time. It would seem ridiculous to post a comment on each one since each comment would say the same thing: I love the story and thank you very much for sharing it with us.

Please, please, keep up the good work!

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

How's this?

It amazes me that you write this at such a high level every day (for 231 episodes now).

Please give Simon a break. He's been so much better. Let him support Cathy through her surgery and let her appreciate it. Thank you for Stella's recovery. Cathy really needs her as you showed in this episode.

Galloping dormice, Batman!

So Cathy's facade finally broke - she needed it! Too much pent-up angst, etc. Much to their chagrin, it's good that it happened in the company of her close friends - I'd hate to think of what she'd have been like on her bike if Stella's tough love hadn't stopped her.

I hope that Simon's not too cowed by they whole situation, and that he joins her for a relaxing ride asap! Might loosen up those sore muscles!

Happiness and success are neither necessarily contemporaneous nor connected.
~ Gordon Sumner, quote from a radio interview I heard around 1990

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

Well, Australia's not all THAT big...

... if you forget it's a continent, and pretend it's an island, and just look at it on a Lambert Conformal projection (from the south pole and including the north)... That'll make it look much smaller. :-)

As to the story. As Stella said, it's no surprise she had that "tude" running. Wish my pre teen's tudes would go away... Eventually, we hope they shall, her sisters did.

If she weren't concerned about the little "rearrangment" scheduled for the Hospital, I dunno. Sounds to me like she had every right to be nervous, scared, terrified, mixed up, and so on and so forth...

The way you described it, I could almost see a little black thunder cloud hoovering over her head...

Thanks!

Hey, Arg...

How 'bout Austria? 8)

Hugs,
Renee

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

An ego the size of...

Or Luxembourg...

Today Luxembourg -- tomorrow the world.

Like your story, I think it wise to take these things in easy to swallow steps

NB

Begging for comments

Well, after such a direct approach I couldn't let you get away with a measly 10 of 'em - even if you've had to wait over a year for additional contributions! :D

Whatever you may think of your random witterings, the fact that almost every chapter has over 1,000 views and 50+ comments means that you've probably got at least 25-30 registered users interested in Cathy's exploits plus goodness knows how many "guests".

There may be the occasional misplaced quote mark, but we're intelligent enough to work out what's speech and what's narration - and as for improbability, nothing that's happened so far can be more improbable than a fellow author's account of a teenage boy being persauded by his headmaster to pretend to be a female pupil for 1/2 week for the benefit of a photo shoot, purely on the basis of a costume worn to a school event! And oddles of readers (me included) took that in our stride - besides which, although the accessories acquired during that experience weren't strictly a MacGuffin, they did contribute rather heavily to later plot developments!

P.S. Hope you don't mind me routinely going through and resurrecting dead threads...but I can't bear to not add comments until I 'catch up' at chapter seven hundred and somethingorother.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Does that include the island of Tasman ?

Great back and forth, but Tom slipped, and came in fifth. Poor Simon, but that's what comes, when one show's off for a beautiful woman, especially one wearing spandex,......on a racing bike,.......ahead of you.
If I say any more, I'll be in trouble!

Cefin