Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 232

Printer-friendly version

Easy Come Easy Go.
by Angharad
part 232.

The rest of the morning was taken up with chores like the laundry and some cleaning, also I did start a roast joint, lamb for a change. To save time I part cooked the spuds in the microwave and then shoved them in the oven. The rest of the veg was relatively tame, carrots and broccoli.

Stella helped by doing some ironing and Simon helped by keeping out of the way, while Tom took his dog for a walk. I did suggest that Simon go with him, but that was met with frowns and rude gestures, and that was just the dog!

I took some underwear out of the drier and took it to Simon, "Here you aren't paralysed, you can put your drawers away."

"You are a cruel woman," he retorted.

"Better you know it now than later."

"Here what do you reckon, 'Where hurricanes hardly ever happen?' is?" he showed me the crossword he was doing.

"Hampshire."

"What? How do you get that?"

"Liza Doolittle, in Hampshire, Hereford and Hertford, hurricanes hardly ever happen."

"Oh yeah, you are a clever dick, aren't you?"

"Only for another day or two."

"Ha ha."

"It's hardly a laughing matter, is it?"

"Why are you being so horrid to me?" he sounded pathetic.

"I'm not, you are a bit stiff and sore because you don't exercise enough. You know what the solution is but you'd rather sit and moan. I'm sorry but I don't have time to baby you." I turned and walked back out to the kitchen.

Stella was making some tea for me. "Here, sit down and drink this and relax for five minutes."

"If I keep on the go, I don't think of other things."

"I know Sis, it's a big step but you're up to it."

"I know Stella, but that doesn't make it any easier. I am scared."

"They'll take excellent care of you or deal with me."

"That isn't the issue."

"What is?"

"This is the first time I've ever had an operation, they've told me what they'll do and all the rest of it. It terrifies me, but at the same time I have to do it or...."

"Or what?" asked Simon's voice as he wandered into the kitchen.

"Or I'll never be able to look myself in the mirror again."

"Oh, is that all?"

"Simon don't be nasty to Cathy, she's stressed enough as it is."

"I came out to ask her if we had time for a quick ride before lunch?"

"It's raining," said Stella looking out of the kitchen window.

"Tom is going to get wet then," I offered.

"Back to my crossword," Simon said as he went back to the lounge.

"Oh no, we'll have dirty footprints all over my nice clean kitchen floor."

"So what, the dirty bits will show how clean the rest is."

"Stella you are mad."

"Guilty as charged. Hmm, the mark is fading," she said as she looked at my face.

"I'm still going to tell them you beat me up."

"Carry on, it'll add to the list of other outrages I've performed on patients and family, enhancing my reputation as a big hitter."

I sniggered and so did she, then I laughed and so did she, then she giggled and I had to run off to the loo. When I emerged from the cloakroom, Tom was back and hadn't brought the dog into the kitchen, he'd come through into the conservatory and left the dog there.

I checked on the meal, everything was just about done and Tom went off to get some wine. I suspected I might end up sleeping half of the afternoon.

Despite the plainness of the meal, it went down well and so did a glass or two of the wine I bought Tom for Christmas. We cleared up, Simon went back to his crossword and I sat and zonked in an easy chair. I slept for two hours and felt awful when I woke up.

Stella made some more tea and that helped take the foul taste from my mouth. I was rather pleased she had I felt too uncoordinated to do much at all. I drank it and did as she suggested and went up to my bed.

I was going to have another nap when I saw a package on my bed. It was addressed to me and when I opened it found inside some delicious lingerie with a card saying, 'for when you get home'. I didn't know what to say it was expensive and very sexy, all frills and ruffles and so soft. One look at me in this and Simon would mess his pants.

I put it away in my undies drawer and wrote a little note of thanks and left it on her bed. Stella was a really nice person at heart so was Simon and I had been nasty to him.

I lay on my bed but this time I couldn't sleep, too much guilt. I had been horrid to everyone I love and who seems to love me. Was I a bad person? It began to look like it. I wondered how I could make it up to them but nothing came to mind except apologising, so that was what I resolved to do.

The three of them were sat in the lounge reading, well Simon was still trying to solve the crossword, Tom was reading part of the paper and Stella was reading her book. I walked into the centre of the room and said, "I think I owe everyone an apology. My behaviour has been less than acceptable over the last few days and I am very sorry. I'll try to be better company in the future."

Simon stood and limped over to me. He kissed me and said quietly, "Apology accepted." I kissed him back and we hugged.

When he went back to his puzzle, Stella came and hugged me, "Nothing to apologise for Sis." She hugged me again and went back to her seat.

"If you are apologising because you forgot to sort out the dormice, it's too late."

I gasped and put my hand over my mouth, I had completely forgotten them. "I'd better go and see to them."

"I've already done it."

"What?"

"Kiki and I walked into the university and back this morning."

"Thank you, it went completely out of my mind. I'm sorry."

"No problem. you spent the whole morning slaving in here, so I thought I'd save you a job."

"Thanks Tom, it's much appreciated." I hugged him and kissed him on the cheek.

"For a kiss, it was worth the effort." He winked at me and left me blushing still in the middle of the room.

up
164 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Angharad

As good as usual.

At least Cathy is realizing how horrible she has been behaving, but it is understandable with all the stess she has been under.

It looks like Stella is not the demon she first appeared to be. She is actually quite human. It looks like the Cameron's are a great family after all.

The only one we aren't sure about is Simon's mother. We don't see much of her.

I do love Henry though. He'll be a great father in law.

Looking forward to the next inticing chapter.

Stowaway dormouse?

Okay, is Tom smuggling Spike out to see her Mum or what? ;)

Well done - an emotional roller-coaster ride up to the surgery, as I would think it would have to be, especially with someone who's never had surgery before....

I'll be following along for the ride....

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

Cathy And Her New Family

Are going to get along great. You have created a story that has characters that have come to life for us. I look forward to each posting. Long may your pen continue to write.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I Agree!

O.K., I know, I'm taking the easy way out by just agreeing with "Stanman63" but that's all I feel capable of at the moment.

That and saying, once again, thank you for doing this for us.

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Fun episode.

Glad she recognized she'd been "unpleasant"...

I dunno if wearing THAT the day she gets home is the best of ideas... She'll be awful tender... Maybe she should save Stella's gift a little while... Heck, maybe I'm too practical. After all, this IS fiction. :-)

Liked the reference to hurricanes...

Annette.

Instant Menopause

I haven't seen anyone mention the effect of abrupt withdrawal of estrogen on Cathy's mood. (If this has already been discussed, then I goofed.) :-( I'm sure this effects at least some pre-opts, especially if they've been on HRT for a long time and/or at a high dosage. (Now my memory's a problem); has she had any hot flashes?

Carry on, Ang'. Excellent story as usual.

Hugs,
Renee

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Actually

I did several chapters ago and several years later. I wonder if all SRS recipients go through this, I suspect they do. It will help them be more sympathetic for woman going through it at that time in their life.

Warm, kindhearted

Warm, kindhearted relationships, This won't last will it Ang ?
The more Stella is here, the more I love her.

Cefin