It's Complicated - Part 5 "Currying Favours"

Printer-friendly version
 It's Complicated  

Part
 
Five

 

"Currying Favours"

 

 
This is the seventh book in the Tamara's Tales (formerly Tommy & Tamara) series. For the whole saga visit Tamara's Tales
 

 
Wednesday 23rd December 2015 (Continued)
 

"Jenny, it's Tammy. Suzie is with me."

"Okay, do you recall the O'Shaughnessys?"

"Finlay and Daisy?"

"That's correct. We're concerned that there's still a risk to them, a serious risk."

"I'm out of touch, Jenny, you've kept me out of the loop? Obviously the Gores aren't a concern any more?"

"Finlay and Daisy are still students at St Andrews, but they were due to stay with a foster family over Christmas."

"Okay, but that's hardly a national security matter?"

"If you'll let me continue?" Jenny paused, "Finlay reported that he wasn't comfortable, even though his sister was ready to go."

"How were the foster parents chosen?"

"We decided to keep them in the Highlands, or at least within six hours travelling of Thurso, otherwise it had to be a couple who were cleared."

"Hold on, who is handling this, deciding on their future?"

"They have been made wards of court in the High Court and Treasury Solicitors have been appointed to look after the children's interests."

"So who is actually running the case?"

"The NCA."

"I don't remember handling any of that work?"

"And if you did, you couldn't reveal it!"

"Naturally. So why are we now involved?"

"Can I suggest you brief Suzie before we continue?"

Finlay O'Shaughnessy was in Year 11 so this was his fifth year at St Andrews school. His sister, Daisy, was in year 9 and had arrived at the school following the murder of their parents in Sofia, Bulgaria. It had been suspected that John and Anita Gore were involved and Tammy had been investigating them. Their daughter, Martina, had been a student at St Andrews since September.

"So, Tammy, did this lead to the attack at David Stewart's funeral?"

"I might have been getting too close."

"YOu've never told me the details?"

"No, I'm not keen reliving that day." She put the handset to her ear, "Okay Jenny, how does this affect us?"

"It appears Martina Gore spooked Finlay on the last day of term."

"Where's she gone?"

"She's staying with Martin Gore in Wick."

"Are her bugs still active?"

"One is, but we have no-one monitoring it."

"Damn, what did she say to Finlay?"

"He claims she said she would make sure the job was finished."

"There was no direct evidence that Martina was involved with her parents' activities?"

"Correct, so we discounted her words as rhetoric."

"But Finlay didn't see it that way?"

"No."

"What about the foster family?"

"When Finlay and Daisy didn't arrive, they accepted an emergency placement."

"So where does that leave them?"

"Stuck, social services would almost certainly split them up."

"Isn't there any family?"

"There's a granny in a retirement home, in Eastbourne."

"What's the long term aim?"

"Officially, to support the kids and get them a stable life."

"Unofficially?"

"We need to interview the boy to find out what he knew about his parents' roles."

"I would have thought that would have been done?"

"The Thurso bureau was closed down and we don't want to use the Police."

"So?"

"Can the pair of you arrange for some temporary off-site accommodation for them and when they are ready speak to Finlay, both if you can?"

"It's the twenty third."

"I'm well aware."

"We're both on leave."

"I can recall you if that makes it easier?"

"Look, why hasn't the school already sorted this?"

"Only the Head knows the background, at least some of the background, and no-one else had been cleared to know, that includes your mother."

"Why?"

"She would have to share the intel with her assistant, and that is an unacceptable risk."

"I'd have to agree with you there, Tanya has some serious mental health issues right now."

"I'm so glad you and I concur, Miss Smart."

"Look, Jenny, I know the individuals at work here."

"I know, and that created a risk. I was content for Suzie to deal with this on her own but, as you say, you do know the individuals."

"So, how do we play this?"

"Do you know where the pair could go? Try not to split them up, if you can."

"We're full here, and Elsie's quite full."

"Can you find out? I realise that might cause a problem?"

"I'll ask. What's the risk to the O'Shaughnessys?"

"If you recall, your family was meant to be elsewhere in Europe, all of the other students and staff have gone and only the Headmaster and his wife remain. They are due to leave to stay with family tomorrow."

"Oh. When are they leaving?"

"Ten in the morning."

"And nothing's been said?"

"They are prepared to cancel, but that leaves Finlay and Daisy very isolated."

"Understood."

"There is a risk that they will be targeted over Christmas."

"In what way?"

"Unknown, the intelligence was quite vague."

"So who is behind it, behind the murder of their parents?"

"There's a Russian connection."

"Anyone we know?"

"No, the current theory is that the parents uncovered massive drug testing fraud, involving Russian athletes in particular."

"Had they submitted their findings?"

"Possibly, we're trying to obtain a copy. It would appear that whoever holds that information could be the next target."

"Do you think the children were aware of the investigations?"

"Yes, which puts them at risk. It goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway, this news, if true, would cause a major international incident."

"Understood."

"I've arranged for some equipment to be couriered to you, it should arrive within the hour."

"Such as?"

"Your secure laptop and your weapon."

"I see. How will I identify the courier?"

"You'll manage it. Please brief Suzie so I don't have to repeat myself, but ask her to call me when you're done."

"Okay."

Tammy put the handset down.

"Now, this briefing is classified Secret."

Tammy left the study ten minutes later, her sister knew some of the story but hadn't met the O'Shaughnessys. Suzie was dialling Jenny's number for her private briefing.

After telling Pru that her study would be needed for a little longer, Tammy went to her room and shut the door.

"Hi Thomas."

"Miss Smart, how can I help you?"

"I'm sorry, but I need a favour. How many spare bedrooms are there?"

"One, the Rose Room."

"Ah, my old room. Now, I'm trying to find accommodation for two children until after Christmas."

"Who are they?"

Tammy explained, as much as she dared.

"I see, I don't believe that will be an insurmountable problem."

"Excellent, but how?"

"Your maid is being borrowed from tomorrow, is she not?"

"I didn't know."

"Well, she'll be staying with Anna."

"And her flat is free?"

"Indeed."

"So if Daisy stayed in the Rose Room, Finlay could use Lily's flat?"

"I believe that would work."

"Thank you, Thomas, now I just need to inform Dr McIntosh."

"He and Mrs McIntosh are with Madam at the moment, as well as a guest."

"Ah, could you ask him to call me?"

"I will pass that on."

Time was getting on, and dinner time approaching, so the girls started the final preparation for the curry. The somasas and naan breads were readied for the oven and the onion bjajis were fried in a pan before being transferred to the warming drawer. Suzie made a raita dip and Tammy prepared a side salad.

"Oh, the rice!"

A minor oversight was avoided as Suzie already had a pan of basmati bubbling gently.

Pru came in as the girls were setting the kitchen table.

"A courier has arrived."

Tammy rushed out into the hallway.

"Tammy, my dear!"

"Dave! Why?"

"A job needed to be done and it had to be someone trustworthy, of course."

"It's a hell of a way to come!"

"I was making the journey regardless, Jenny knew that. Can we use the study?"

Dave Brown seemed to have only a briefcase, Tammy noted. She signed for her laptop and her weapon, as well as a spare clip. "What if I need any more?"

"That is highly unlikely."

"So, Mr Brown, what brings you to Thurso?"

"A Christmas invite from Elsie, what else?"

"You do know ...."

"Of course I do, I've just come from there. I'm aware of what you've told Thomas."

"Did I tell him too much?"

"No, under the circumstances he needed to know enough to make a decision."

"I'd always thought that Elsie ran the house, but this was something I didn't want to burden her with."

"Sensible thinking but remember, Elsie runs the clan, the family, but Thomas runs the household. I have explained to Elsie that you might ask a favour and she is quite happy to assist."

"Good, now I need to get mother on board."

"Rather you than me, remember she's not cleared."

Tammy had a sudden thought.

"Are you aware of the incident involving Angela?"

"I am."

"I haven't heard from the police how the investigation is going."

"I think you should give Jenny a call, there are some developments that it seems she hasn't disclosed."

Tammy called but didn't get an answer. "Damn."

Suzie knocked on the door, Tammy called her in.

"Oh, hello Dave!"

"Lovely to see you again, Suzie. Did you know what time Jenny was finishing today?"

"A few minutes after I spoke, why?"

"Tammy was asking about the investigation into Angela's attempted abduction."

"I see, how much can I say?"

"Under the circumstances?"

"Okay, but Jenny asked me to keep this to myself for now."

"Understandable, as it doesn't change the arrangements in place."

Tammy started to get irate, "are you telling me that Jenny briefed you and failed completely to update me?"

"Indeed Tammy, remember that all intel is distributed on a need-to-know basis. This information does not change anything."

"So what is it?"

"The pair arrested in the Castletown Hotel had intended to abduct Angela. The plan was meant to happen at the end of last week but the trip to Düsseldorf changed that."

"Why would they abduct her?"

"To force mother to allow someone into the school, to get at Finlay and Daisy."

"I see, who employed them?"

"They're not saying."

"I would have liked to know!" Tammy raised her voice.

"That's exactly why you weren't going to be told until after tomorrow morning, because you would get emotional about something you had no control over."

Tammy sat down, ashamed.

"If it means anything," Dave started, "I have complained loudly in the past about needed to know something but when I did find out it usually made no difference. Suzie was briefed in case operational needs dictated that this intel was needed, I had also been briefed. If your mother had asked you for an update, you could have denied knowing anything."

"And now I have to lie?"

"I would suggest you are more circumspect than that, if anything has to be said."

"Why would mum ask me, and not Suzie?"

"Because you know the local police officers and they would likely be the source of any new information, Suzie does not know them. Now, could you run me back over?"

Suzie headed back to the kitchen whilst Tammy donned a coat, gloves and a scarf. Outside she opened the side gate and unlocked a buggy. "Hop on."

She was back five minutes later but still had to lock up the buggy and lock the gate. She noted that Joan's car was back and the paddock gate was padlocked.

Back inside she made it to the table as the last dish was brought over.

"Suzie's made a wonderful job of this, hasn't she Richard?"

Tammy looked at her father with intent, he cracked in the end. "It's a joint effort, Tammy just had to run an errand."

Joan now smiled, "I know, and Tammy, Suzie has explained the arrangements you have made. I wouldn't have bothered Elsie under the circumstances but it seems Thomas has handled it?"

"He has, hopefully we can see Finlay and Daisy in the morning?"

"They will be so pleased. Do you think Finlay will be happy in the flat, or that Lilly will accept it?"

"There are no issue with him at the school?"

"None."

"Is he single dormed?"

"No he's sharing, at least until January as two rooms are being refurbished."

"I see, did you know that Dr McIntosh was going away?"

"No, I didn't. Why didn't Stephen say?"

"I guess it's so you weren't alarmed, anyway, shall we eat?"

Judging by the near silence and the content looks, the curry was an outstanding success.

"What was that one?"

Angela pointed at and empty pot.

"Thai prawn green curry."

"It didn't look very green?"

"No, that's because of the coconut milk."

"Oh, it tasted nice, not as spicy as the other one!"

"The Madras? That's meant to be a warm one. I see Dad enjoyed it?"

Richard was helping himself to seconds, or thirds, emptying the pot in the process. "Hmmm, excellent girls, you can make this again!"

Tammy and Suzie groaned.

"Tammy, have the police been in contact today, about yesterday?"

"No mum, I haven't heard anything from them yet."

up
405 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Being required to or having

Being required to or having to keep information from others who have the same clearance as yourself can become a very interesting "bag of worms" at times. The problem comes from the very old and very true requirement that "It is on a need to know" basis; and if you don't need it or don't need to know, you simply are not going to the information. It may make you mad or unhappy as Tammy showed, but that is "breaks of the game".
Holding a Top Secret (Final) clearance for most of my AF career, there were many, many, many times I could NOT let on to others that I knew or what I knew, even if they also knew, because we may have worked in different sections of our Unit. It is called "compartmentalized".
Will be interesting to see how all this plays out with the Finlays, along with Tammy and Suzie.

two more guests?

assuming they can get them to safety in time, of course ...

DogSig.png

Compartmentalised

joannebarbarella's picture

This always seems to me to be self-defeating. Without knowing all the facts how can you make a proper decision?

The very recent Berlin massacre is a classic example. It would seem that various branches of German Intelligence knew and had under surveillance the perpetrator, but the intelligence wasn't shared, so the man sorta slipped between the cracks. I'm not saying the attack could have been averted but he has so far eluded capture because they were not co-ordinated.

For the story I am sure Tammy will come through and the two kids will be safe, at least I hope so.

Left hand right hand

Jamie Lee's picture

So the two after Angela were really after the two kids at school. Self preservation knows no bounds.

From this chapter, it sounds like Tammy is the one being given responsibility for a successful mission. So if she doesn't have all necessary information how can she make the best possible decisions to ensure a successful mission?

Two lives hang in the balance if things go sideways, or correct decisions aren't made. And lack of information can SNAFU an entire mission. Unless, that's the plan.

Others have feelings too.

Cool. She didn't have to lie.

WillowD's picture

"No mum, I haven't heard anything from them yet."

None of the information that Tammy knew came from the local police.