It's Complicated - Part 8 "The Blame Game"

Printer-friendly version
 It's Complicated  

Part
 
Eight

 

"The Blame Game"

 

 
This is the seventh book in the Tamara's Tales (formerly Tommy & Tamara) series. For the whole saga visit Tamara's Tales
 

 
Christmas Eve 2015 (Continued)
 

Thomas called everyone to the dining room before Tammy could reach Daisy and Finlay, but she was impressed, they certainly looked like sisters. All other questions would have to wait however, as Elsie was already sat and the staff were stood ready.

"Tammy, dear, come sit with me." The comment was unnecessary as each place had a name card, this put Joan at the opposite end of the table from the O'Shaughnessy children, and Tammy, but adjacent to Michael. Some thought had clearly gone into the seating plan.

"Welcome everyone, let us toast absent friends." Elsie lifted her glass of Champagne, although several at the table had sparkling grape juice.

"Thank you for being here, although my doctors had doubts that I would make it this far!"

The staff had left the room a few moments beforehand and now returned with soups, soon the only noise was the sound of spoons against bowls. Polite conversation followed as the table was cleared between courses but there was more than a furtive look at the children in white dresses.

Daisy and Finlay, meanwhile, kept looking at each-other and giggling, as if enjoying a private joke.

The main dish was a seafood salad, Tammy commented how nice it looked, before she made headway.

"Oh yes, that's your cook's doing, I'll have to borrow her again!"

"You have a great cook, Elsie."

"Maybe, but she is a little staid in her ideas and wouldn't have thought of this."

"I hear it's a common Christmas meal in Australia."

Elsie nodded, but the hint was to stop talking and start munching. Helen was next to Tammy and it looked like half of her plate had already gone, washed down with another glass of wine. Tammy wondered if the girl knew the term 'moderation'?

Before long they were into the dessert course. Elsie, however, had left the table. Tammy needed the loo so she had followed the lady, seeing her being helped into the study. Thomas came up behind Tammy.

"Madam uses the study as a day room."

"I see."

Tammy returned before the cheeseboard had been emptied, just.

"I'm a growing girl!" Was the answer to a searching look from Tammy. "Yes, Helen, clearly."

Coffee followed and a bottle of malt had appeared near Richard and Dave Brown. Joan finally walked around to the children and asked if they okay, commenting how lovely they looked. Daisy answered for both, but Finlay was clearly happy.

They migrated into the lounge, Cathy slid over the Tammy.

"They are sweet aren't they?"

"Yes, but what happened?"

"Elsie saw Finlay in the tartan dress and asked him if he wanted to dress up tonight."

"Really?"

"Yes, I think she was testing him. Anyway, those are my dresses from when I was alot younger. Mum bought the smaller one for a function we were attending a few months hence, but I grew a bit so she bought the bigger one."

"That's a fair bit bigger!"

"She didn't want me to get just one use out of it, although that's exactly what happened! Daisy's still had the tags attached."

"Okay, so that explains the dresses, but he's seemingly gone the whole hog, are those stockings?"

"Yes, but she's Florence at the moment."

"What's the back story?"

"She's not saying, not yet, but she's had a cry about her parents."

"I doubt Finlay's been able to grieve much?"

"No, that's what I gathered, plus this is the longest time the pair have been together since the summer, before their parents' unfortunate death."

"Has Dave interviewed either of them?"

"No, mum wouldn't let him."

Across the room, Alison was having a similar conversation with Joan, it appeared that she had looked after the children whilst the other girls were with Tammy. Joan shook her head, apparently in disbelief before walking straight to Richard.

Elsie returned to the gathering, but only to wish everyone a good evening. The O'Shaughnessys were staying there, a room had been found for Finlay, or Florence.

 
Christmas Day 2015
 

Tammy woke with her father knocking on her door.

"What time is it?"

"Three, how much wine did you have last night?"

"Oh, the champagne and one other, why?"

"Good, you can drive."

"What's up?"

"Intruders at the school."

Tammy dressed quickly, leggings and a sweatshirt over her nightie. She pulled socks on and grabbed a pair of boots. Downstairs she opened the safe and removed her pistol, plus a spare clip.

Richard saw this but didn't comment. Outside he unlocked the side gate. "We'll go out via Elsie's gates."

Tammy drove her Mini, finding a Landrover waiting by the stables; it set off as she drew near.

The school's gate was open and a vehicle was parked near it, some distance from the school buildings. The Landrover went forward but Richard asked Tammy to pull over.

"Let's check the car out, we need to be ready if the intruders make a break for it."

"What about the Police?"

"The caretaker said he would phone them as soon after he called me."

"Hopefully they'll be here promptly, but it does mean Iain Brown will be unhappy; he wanted a quiet Christmas."

"Haven't you heard the adage about never using the Q word around law enforcement or emergency teams?"

"Oh, that sounds like an old wives' tale?"

"Some people swear by it."

The car was deserted, but they didn't touch the vehicle in case of leaving fingerprints. "That would just complicate matters!"

Tammy's mobile rang.

"Tammy, Dave, there's two here. We've restrained them both but one appears to have a busted leg so he's not going anywhere."

"Okay, where are they?"

"By the kitchen door."

"How did he do his leg?"

"It looks like there was a sheet of black ice near the door. I've updated the police and asked for an ambulance."

"Okay, are they talking?"

"No, but they had photos of the children."

"Damn, oh the Police have just arrived, Dad's directing them."

Tammy collected her father then drove around to the rear of the school. The caretaker came over.

"Ah, Mr Smart, Miss Smart, glad you're here."

"No problem, how did you know they were here?"

"The gate has an alarm on it, the duty caretaker gets a buzz if it's opened after 10pm, but I secured it at eight after Mr Hibbert and the young lady returned. I was awake gone midnight as I was Skyping my nieces in Cairns, Australia, it was Christmas Day lunchtime there. I checked the cameras and saw them coming, that's when I called."

"Well done." Richard was certainly pleased with the caretaker's actions. "What would you have done if they'd have got in?"

"Let's just say they might have had an accident, good job they had one outside really."

Tammy laughed, Richard shrugged.

A familiar police officer came over after securing one toad in the police vehicle, leaving his colleague to deal with the casualty

"Hello Miss Smart."

"Hello Sgt St James."

"My Chief Inspector warned me that you were in town!"

"Hey, this wasn't my doing."

"Why are you here, then?"

"My father needed a lift, he's chairman of the school governors and the Headmaster's off-site."

"Then who is that gentleman?" He pointed at Dave Brown, who had moved a distance away.

"He's on old boy of the school who is a guest at Elsie McPherson's this Christmas. Elsie is another governor and asked her staff to make sure the school was secure."

"I take it you were safe to drive?"

"I only had two glasses, and that was five hours ago."

"Fine, now would you have any idea why the school was being broken into?"

"Kidnapping."

"But the school's closed, surely?"

"Two students hadn't left, and they were the targets. When he phoned me yesterday Iain Brown told me he had the relevant intelligence report."

"So you are involved?"

"I know some of the background, that's all."

Sgt Stuart St James went to speak to Richard and the caretaker. Another police vehicle arrived and there was the sound of a helicopter approaching, then the area was lit by the searchlight.

The two recently arrived officers now split their resources. One joined the casualty on the air ambulance whilst the other assisted obtaining statements and photographing the scene. When the Smarts were due to be interviewed, Sgt St James suggested they could be spoken to later, if at all.

"You arrived after us so weren't involved in restraining the suspects."

"Correct, Sgt."

"Even so, it would seem Miss Smart that you do know more than you've said?"

"Then I'm sorry, but I'll have to say I can't answer any further. Please check with Iain Brown or Special Branch, they'll release any background information."

He clearly wasn't happy, "I might need to speak to you regardless, you as well Mr Smart. Now, are the children safe?"

"If you're referring to the potential victims, yes they are, but their whereabouts are not public knowledge."

The other officer had spoken to Dave Brown and seemingly not done much better, but the groundsmen were the only ones to have got their hands dirty so had to give a short statement there and then.

It was half past four when everyone returned to their beds, after ensuring that the school and both houses were secured.

Tammy's mobile rang at eight, she was not impressed. There was no number shown.

"Happy Christmas To...Tammy." Tara was slurring slightly.

"Oh, thanks mum, sorry I didn't send anything but I don't have your address."

"I'll send it, I might come up in the new year."

"I don't know where I'll be, work is sending me all over the place."

"Well, never mind."

The line went dead.

Suzie knocked on her door shortly after, ensuring that Tammy wouldn't get any more sleep.

"Hey, you left you bag on the floor - oh your gun?"

"I didn't have a chance to put it away last night, or was it this morning?" Tammy yawned.

"What did I miss?"

"An attempted break-in at the school. I'm jumping in the shower."

Tammy made it down for breakfast by nine, dressed casually.

"I thought you might have made an effort, Tammy?"

"I will, but my body says I should still be in bed."

"You didn't have to go out in the middle of the night."

Angela hadn't been paying much attention but certainly looked astonished.

"Out? In the middle of the night?"

"Yes, Angela. To answer your question, mum, Dad couldn't have driven without risking his licence, neither could you. That didn't leave a lot of choice."

"Well, you took a risk."

Zara had clearly been in as food was in warming trays and just needed serving. Tammy poured a coffee and took a sip before replying.

"Firstly I've had training and secondly I was armed."

"Gun?"

"Yes."

"You didn't take that on the plane did you?"

"Of course not," not this time anyway, "it was delivered securely. Look, two guys are in custody and the children are still safe, and no-one important was harmed."

"They are students, not children."

"That may be school policy, but in the eyes of the law ...."

"Stop that!"

Richard arrived, nonplussed at the bickering that was going on.

"It's Christmas Day, not Armageddon Day, can't we all get along?"

"Sorry Dad."

"How about apologising to your mother?"

"Who complained that I took you this morning?"

"I see, have you had any breakfast yet?"

"No, my appetite seems to be deserting me."

"Well, join me in the study for a moment."

Tammy picked up her coffee, glad to get out of the kitchen. She shut the door behind her.

"Sorry dad, I'm a bit tetchy, I'm tired, I was told off for wearing comfortable clothing, then criticised for using a perfectly valid legal term and, and, guess who phoned me, pissed?"

"Look, I'll speak to your mother, I hadn't had a chance to brief her on what happened overnight, but I've just had DS Franklin on the phone."

"What's Ben after?"

"Some background, I told him I couldn't supply it over the phone and really couldn't say anything to him directly either. He knows Dave Brown is here and has spoken to him before, he's on his way from the custody suite at Inverness."

"That gives us a few hours."

"No, he is on his way, he left there an hour and a half ago and called me from his car."

"Where is he coming?"

"Here, Dave is coming over shortly."

"Okay."

"I'll ask one of your sisters to put a breakfast together for you, you can eat in here if it makes you feel better?"

"Just some toast, I'm going up to my room."

Tammy stripped off the sweats she was wearing and pulled a red dress out of her wardrobe, the same dress she had planned to wear the previous evening. She didn't put it on, however, she instead slipped on a pink, fluffy, onesie.

"If I'm going to be treated as a kid, I'll become one!"

She went into her bathroom, looking for an aspirin, and found a toasted egg sandwich on her desk upon her return.

The egg, and toast, was piping hot and clearly had been made fresh. Tammy checked her tablet for news, and emails, finding several dodgy messages. There was no news of the two arrested over night.

She finished her coffee, brushed her teeth and made use of the facilities. She arrived downstairs as Ben arrived, Dave was waiting in the study.

"Sorry, Tammy did we get you out of bed?" Ben regretted the words as he spoke them.

"I only need one more smart ass comment and you'll find my co-operation ends now."

"Apologies."

Tammy closed the door, gesturing to Dave that he start. Fresh coffee had been provided.

"Firstly, DS Franklin, there is a limit to what we can say."

"I understand, and Special Branch have briefed me, but it's clear they don't know what is going on."

"That is normal, very few people do have the full story."

"And both of you?"

"Sorry, can't say."

"Okay, let me give you something. The pair we arrested are Russian." Ben stopped.

"I see, please continue."

"They were carrying documents but none that identify them, we need someone who can read Cyrillic. As it is, we have to use telephone interpreters as a first option and one is being arranged."

"Now, I can't give you an official reason, but please do not use Martin Gore as an interpreter."

"His name is on the Interpreters r Us list."

"In this case he is not to be used."

"I'll need a reason, and it will have to be verifiable."

Dave looked at Tammy, seeking a way out.

"Martin Gore has a girl, a niece, lodging with him over Christmas. She is also a student at Andrews and knows the potential victims."

"I see. I'll be back in a moment." Ben left the room.

"Thanks Tammy, I really didn't want to release any intel on the Gores."

"It was Martina Gore who spooked Finlay into refusing to leave."

"Damn, the whole case would be in jeopardy."

They were both sipping their coffees when Ben Franklin returned.

"Gore has spoken to them and claims they don't understand him."

"Shit! Get them out of Scotland, now!" Dave picked up the secure phone and fished an encryption key out of a pocket. He dialled a number quickly.

"I need two bodies collected from Inverness Police Station.......Understood."

He put the phone down.

"Now, this is what we'll do....."

Over the next half an hour, surveillance was put on Martin, and Martina, Gore. Their phone records were checked and the prisoners were put under constant guard. The fact that is was Christmas Day meant nothing, certain official services were available 24/7/365.

Chief Inspector Iain Brown found it easier to drive up to the Smart's house than to go to Inverness.

"I wanted a quiet day, Miss Smart."

"This really is not my responsibility. Your lot put an interpreter with knowledge of the school and the children in touch with the abductors."

"Alleged abductors, and we weren't supplied that intel."

"Okay, okay."

"Where are the children?"

"With Elsie McPherson."

"Are they aware of what happened last night?"

Dave shook his head, "no, and they were awake hours before I was ready to rise."

"Who else knows where they are?"

"Only our two households, the Headmaster, his wife, the school secretary and the caretaker who was there last night. All can be trusted."

"Let me guess, they've all been cleared?"

Dave nodded, "through my office, it seemed appropriate after the issues we had earlier this year."

"I see, so how long do your security measures stay in place?"

"Well, news of their failure, and arrest, is already out and potentially back with the people who hired them."

"That would have happened anyway."

"But not for another day or so, instead all we got was a few hours and now they've been silenced."

"I had a call from London, they're being transferred. Which of you did that?" He looked straight at Tammy.

"Actually, that was me, Chief Inspector." Dave nodded at Tammy.

"You see Iain, it's not always my fault."

up
381 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

*LOL*

Alecia Snowfall's picture

You see Iain, It's not ALWAYS my fault. That's just priceless!

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

The kind of "games" played

The kind of "games" played between the various Agencies and local Police agencies as well. Then people are left wondering why no-one can get along and work together PRIOR to when something may or may not happen. Saw it many, many times in my working life, and sadly I had to refuse information that I KNEW was important to know; because I was under orders not to release it.
In one way, I am glad that here in the US, the FBI has over the years had many, many Police Agencies send their personnel to the FBI Training school. That way, there is/are personnel on board who understand what is what and why it may not be able to be released to them.

stovepiping

Alecia Snowfall's picture

'stove-piping'. All the stoves' pipes are supposed to connect at one point. The problem comes when they refuse to.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Still Out

joannebarbarella's picture

That's my Thumbs Up thingy.

As for the rest, "Stupid O'Clock" Tammy and the others involved should have been allowed a reasonable sleep before being questioned. That's how you get to the facts rather than a dream-frazzled account.

It's the pits

Jamie Lee's picture

It's the pits when the right hand can't tell the left hand what's happening. But it can't be helped, too many don't know how to keep quiet.

While the inspector may be angry about the lack of information from Dave and Tammy, and not listen when they tell him what not to do, any information he would get would filter through his department and reach the wrong people. Security is not the top most item on the inspectors' mind.

Tammy's mum seems a bit controlling, commenting on how she was dressed, making a statement without having all of the facts. It's like mum doesn't know what Tammy really does for a living.

Others have feelings too.