It's Complicated - Part 9 "Protection"

Printer-friendly version
 It's Complicated  

Part
 
Nine

 

"Protection"

 

 
This is the seventh book in the Tamara's Tales (formerly Tommy & Tamara) series. For the whole saga visit Tamara's Tales
 

 
Christmas Day 2015 (Continued)
 

The meeting ended when Joan knocked on the study door and reminded the men, and Tammy, that it was nearing lunchtime. Chief Inspector Iain Brown acknowledged that he was not going to achieve anything further but would have to report, later, to his managers.

Dave Brown headed back to the McPherson household and Tammy started to head for her room.

"Wait a moment, please."

"Yes, mum?" Joan ushered Tammy back then closed the study door.

"I'm sorry, I keep forgetting how much you've grown in the last year. I keep wanting to protect you, but you do you own thing, that's difficult for me to handle."

"You let Suzie go, when she was eighteen."

"She was still seventeen, just, and that decision was difficult but I had to protect her from her father."

"Was she at risk?"

"Not physically, but she wouldn't come to Thurso and that made him angry. He said some hurtful things to her face and on the phone after we moved."

"You kept in touch, didn't you?"

"He checked the phone calls and I didn't have a mobile, so I couldn't call. I used to write to her, every week, or so, and collected her letters when I had my hair done."

"Was that the only time you were able to be alone?"

"Yes, he'd drop me there and pick me up an hour later. I think he waited around the corner to make sure I didn't go off anywhere."

"That's awful."

"I feared for Tim's life, I thought he'd end up doing something drastic because of the way George bullied him. You gave Tim the courage to break away, that didn't just mean becoming Angela but to become my child again."

"But you were always her mother."

"George ruled that household, he dealt with everything concerning Tim, everything except being nursemaid, but Tim wasn't allowed time off sick either."

"Why didn't you do something?"

"Like what? I had no transport, no money and no friends."

Tammy pulled Joan close to hug her. "It's over now, mum."

"But I can't protect the boy and the girl who are in my care!" She started to sob.

"We're in this together, it isn't just your responsibility."

"But I feel helpless, and you end up chasing hoodlums in the middle of the night when I should be protecting you!" Joan sobbed louder.

"I was doing a job, a job I'm paid to do. Your job is to make sure we look after Finlay and Daisy, and don't put them at risk. Your job continues well after I, Suzie and Dave have all left Thurso. so it's the most important one, but you aren't alone."

"Thank you Tammy, I doubted myself and I doubted you."

"Doubt is a horrible enemy, self-doubt especially."

Tammy led Joan upstairs, Tammy needed another shower and Joan needed to repair her face before any questions were asked. Tammy's onesie had a soaked shoulder so went into the laundry bin, she stripped and walked into the shower for the second time that morning.

By the time Tammy was ready to leave her room, she'd been checked on by both of her sisters.

"Red?"

"Yep, it suits my mood today."

Suzie laughed, "I think I'll enjoy living with you!"

"What?" Angela wasn't impressed.

"Damn, sorry Angela but that wasn't meant to be news yet. There's a few things to sort out and it might not happen."

"I wish I was in London, with the pair of you."

"No!" Tammy and Suzie said it together, Angela looked like she was going to cry.

"Oh, sod it, sorry Angela but London is a terrible city and you wouldn't enjoy it, in fact you'd be pleading to come back here." Tammy did her best to defuse the situation.

"But you're there, both of you."

"Because we're contracted, I'd move back here if I could. Suzie?"

"Well, I've never lived here, but I suppose it's an option."

Angela started to smile, then her face dropped. "So you'd be checking up on me all the time? No, thanks, I wouldn't like that!"

Tammy shooed them both out then sat to make up her face.

Downstairs, Richard was in a kilt. "That's McPherson tartan, isn't it?"

"Yes, Tammy. Now that you're here, shall we sort out our presents?"

Each of the girls was given a financial gift to the same value, but personalised for each of them. For Tammy it was £2500 of stocks, for Suzie it was bonds and for Angela it was cash.

Tammy and Suzie received first class air passes, valid for a year, between London and Wick.

"Are you dropping a hint?"

Angela received a set of keys.

"Huh?"

"Take a look out front, dear."

A new car had been delivered, a little silver hatchback. Tammy wondered if it was Korean.

"But I can't drive!"

"The money is to pay for your lessons."

There were loads of small gifts as well, Tammy gained clothes, jewellery and perfumes. Joan and Richard were bought a Caribbean holiday, at Easter.

"I can't get the time off!"

"Maybe you can't mum, but we've sorted it."

A phone call ordered them, as politely as a butler could, to the McPherson residence for Christmas dinner.

The four took their two golf buggies across to the bigger house and joined everyone in the lounge. Flutes of sparkling wine were handed out on arrival.

Tammy checked the room, all of the ladies present were in dresses that varied from the formal to the almost indecent. Finlay and Michael were in McPherson kilts, accompanied by full Highlands outfit. Dave was in a suit, smart but not overdressed.

Daisy's dress, near floor length, was also red, Tammy suspected a conspiracy as only the two of them were in rouge. She was also in heels, two inches, and was nearly as tall as her brother. Finlay looked resplendent, and there was no disputing that he was male, today.

Elsie arrived in the room in a wheelchair.

"Merry Christmas and thank you for being here. My apologies for this conveyance but it will mean that I can go on a little longer today if I don't have to do all the ruddy exercises just getting to and from the table!"

Thomas turned the wheelchair and pushed Elsie to the head of the table. A little plinth was now there so she was at the correct height, Thomas ensured the brake was secured.

Once again there was a seating plan, nurses Alison and Andrea sat either side of Elsie and Tammy found herself next to Daisy, opposite Finlay.

Richard was asked to say Grace, but also toasted Elsie.

"Thank you, but maybe you should have waited until you saw the bill!"

Elsie started coughing, having over exerted herself. Both of the nursing sisters attended to her, but Elsie brushed the aside once she had a sip of water.

"I'm not ready to go, not yet."

The meal was formulaic, traditional Christmas dinner, with all the trimmings. The wine, and Single Malt, flowed freely and the chatter was good natured. Daisy started telling Tammy about the girls in her previous school.

"There's this really horrible girl, Beatrice, she expects everyone to look after her. I'm told she's really good in the classroom so the teachers really like her, but to me she's just the worst!"

"Like what?"

"She wanted a boy in the dorm every night, but expected others to find a good one, then it was our fault if he wasn't up to the task!"

Daisy now had the table's attention.

"Oh, sorry!"

Tammy giggled, "Daisy, there's a rule that what happens in the girls dorm stays in the girls dorm."

Helen could be heard snorting, clearly wanting to hear more of this, whilst Joan was tutting. Tammy looked along the table to Elsie, to see a smile on her face.

They moved places when the coffees were being poured and Tammy found herself next to Elsie again.

"How did you find Daisy, Tammy?"

"A very intelligent girl."

"She is, I'll sponsor both of them through to the end of the sixth form, if they want it."

"I'm sure the Head would be greatly relieved."

"Steven will do as he's told, I'm his sister-in-law! I've asked if the pair would like to join the McPherson Clan, but Finlay didn't want to lose his family name."

"That's understandable, but why?"

"I want everyone to know that they are protected. Finlay has accepted that and wants to hyphenate the names, to O'Shaughnessy-McPherson. It's a bit of a mouthful but it suits a purpose."

"Which is?"

"To have a male in the family to continue the family name."

"I see, that could be a problem?"

"Indeed, I won't argue with Michael's choice but I would like to know that there will be an heir with the name McPherson."

"When are you planning to do this?"

"Done! I had my solicitor up here this morning." Tammy brushed that remark aside, a solicitor on Christmas Day?

"Oh, was Cathy involved?"

"Naturally."

"But what about their legal position? They're wards of court."

"Indeed they are, once this next week is out of the way we'll have that sorted, Finlay swore a statement which can go to the official solicitor."

"What about Finlay, and Florence?"

"Let him tell you his own story, he had fun yesterday. I had Alison redoing his make-up after he told us about his parents, but he needed to cry and I told him he could, I don't think anyone has said that to him."

"Where was Daisy?"

"She went for a swim whilst her brother and I were having a heart-to-heart, Zara kept an eye on her seeing as all of you abandoned me!"

"If we'd have known .."

"No, you deserved to let your hair down, all of you except ...." Elsie's eyes drifted down the table, "never mind. Can you push me into the lounge, Tammy dear?"

The gathering relocated and the waiting staff provided every drink demanded. Daisy was certainly in the party spirit, it seems she'd been drinking Bucks Fizz when Tammy assumed it was fizzy fruit juice, Meanwhile, Dave and Richard were introducing Finlay to the various Single Malts that were available.

"You won't find a bottle of blended whisky here!"

Elsie was tired but organised the present exchange, Tammy had sent gift bags a week before hand, on the assumption that she wasn't going to be anywhere near Scotland. Suzie looked embarrassed but Angela looked like she was also organised.

"Mum sorted it all for me, I just had to write the labels out, I've never done this before." Angela's first Christmas had just been herself, Tammy, Richard and Joan. Tammy didn't want to think how Tim had endured Christmas with his father, George.

Helen seemed smug, but the most surprised ones were the O'Shaughnessy children. Finlay blushed when given skirts and tops, as well as an electric razor and other practical items. Tammy imagined someone had gone shopping on Christmas eve, and it certainly wasn't Elsie.

Daisy gained a few new frocks, make-up and some gold, along with a pamper day at Sandy's salon in town. She showed the gift certificate to Finlay. "Yeah, I got one too!"

Elsie finally reached the point where she was falling asleep. Thomas pushed her out of the way and Cathy took over.

"Please don't think you have to leave, the day is but young and there's the promise of turkey sandwiches to come!

"Mum asked me to make an announcement, from today and subject to a few legal hoops, Daisy and Finlay have joined the McPhersons."

Richard led a toast to the pair.

"That means, whether you're a McPherson by birth or an adopted McPherson, you have to do everything to protect your fellow McPherson."

Tammy wanted to laugh, Cathy was clearly hamming it but there was a sense of importance about the words. "Here, here!" resounded around the room. Those nearest shook Daisy & Finlay's hands, then hugged both, Tammy slowly made her way across.

"You never told me this at lunch, Daisy."

"Grandma Elsie told us to keep quiet until the time was right."

"Well done then, are you sure you wanted to do this?"

"Oh yes, I like the sound of protection." Finlay concurred.

"What happened between you and Martina Gore, Finlay?"

"She said some nasty things to me."

"Like what?"

"I'd rather not say, not until the time is right."

"I'd like to speak with you, to establish what you know."

"Elsie said you would, and that we were to tell you everything you needed to know."

"You can make up your own mind, it's perfectly voluntary."

"We trust you."

"Thank you, can we talk tomorrow?"

"I think so, it's important that I tell you what I know."

"I'm certain it is."

"Well, I know who killed our parents - and I can prove it."

up
402 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So........

D. Eden's picture

The game is afoot!

Everyone is looking for documents, when Finley has been the key all along.

I hadn't read this in some time and had to play catchup this evening - it was well worth it!

Hope to see more soon!

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

starters; take your marks

Alecia Snowfall's picture

Starters; Take Your Marks! The event is about to begin!

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Well, that little tidbit from

Well, that little tidbit from Daisy is a real shocker. Tammy is getting into this deeper and deeper, and I do not believe that she should be the only one, as this does sound like something that their friendly "neighborhood family cop" needs to hear as well.
Just may be more going on that what has been discovered on the surface.

The Secret Needs To Be Out

joannebarbarella's picture

When only one knows then they are a target. When the information is known by others then the risk is spread. Tammy is always at the hub.

Start your engines

Jamie Lee's picture

Joan's attitude is very understandable, after all she's been through. She and Tammy need healing time together.

Angela's actions lead one to believe she have a lot to get over after living with George. She almost came apart upon hearing that Suzie might be living with Tammy in London. Angela also seems very unsure of herself.

Finlay getting skirt and blouse as presents means someone knows about him being Florence. And that he'll tell Tammy about what happened to him shows a level of trust. Especially that he can prove who killed his parents.

Others have feelings too.

That's a bit of a bombshell!

It's also interesting how calm Finlay is with the entire situation. I wonder if the proof is concealed win his luggage? Having survived several assassination attempts herself, Tammy might end up being their protection officer for the time being...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!