It's Complicated - Part 13 "Mistakes"

Printer-friendly version
 It's Complicated  

Part
 
Thirteen

 

"Mistakes"

 

 
This is the seventh book in the Tamara's Tales (formerly Tommy & Tamara) series. For the whole saga visit Tamara's Tales
 

 
Sunday 27th December 2015
 

They had all gathered at Elsie's for the Boxing Day meal the previous evening, Elsie had been more lively and Tammy wondered if that was the presence of the children? Certainly Elsie had her zeal and determination back, although she was frustrated by the extended holiday, the next working day wasn't until Tuesday and there was work to do.

Tammy had stayed off the wine, and had noted that many of them had done the same.

Information about John and Tanya's incident had started to trickle in as the day proceeded, Sandy was at the Ragmore Hospital in Inverness and the police weren't saying anything. Dave had made enquiries via London but it was early Sunday morning before he had a response.

"They were returning to their cottage after spending the night with Tanya's mother. The school's CCTV shows their car being stopped just before the gates, they grabbed Tanya and clearly wanted information.

"John was shot when he tried to intervene then the attacker left. Tanya managed to call the police before she passed out."

"What's their condition?"

"Unknown."

"What's the police angle?"

"Officially, they don't have a clue but Iain Brown is running this case."

"So he's probably linked this to the children, why hasn't he been in contact?"

"You'll have to ask him, I don't have his number."

"Okay, I think I'll drive to the hospital."

"What will you achieve?"

"I just want to be there."

"Look, Tammy, whilst you're there you can't help protect the children and you can't make any enquiries."

"Well?"

"Wait, maybe you can speak to Tanya's mother?"

"Her phone wasn't on yesterday."

"Have you tried today?"

"Not yet."

It was half past seven, clearly Dave Brown worked on a different timezone to everyone else. Outside it was still quite dark. Tammy sent Sandy a text message.

How are they?
 
Tanya lost the baby.

Tammy stared at the screen, unable to fully process it. Another message arrived.

She lost alot of blood, needed a transfusion. John's recovering from surgery, he was very lucky.
 
So sorry Sandy, is there anything I can do?
 
Tell me why my daughter was threatened?
 
I'm not entirely sure, I'll see what I can find out

Tammy could sense Sandy's anger, it was pretty clear, but how much could she say? She called Dave and updated him.

"Sandy's pretty upset, she suspects I know why they were hit?"

"Were they warned?"

"Not by me, Tanya's a known risk, she says too much."

"So did their attacker know that?"

"Perhaps, I don't know."

"So, could they have been attacked for a different reason? Did Sandy mention the children?"

"No, Tanya probably doesn't know. My bet is she hadn't been into work since the last day of term?"

"Find that out, will you. Could John have been a target?"

"Unlikely, he doesn't have any enemies."

"He works for a solicitor's firm, of course he'll have disgruntled clients."

"Okay, too many questions. Has Finlay downloaded those files yet?"

"He was doing that overnight, apparently there's quite a bit of data."

"I was thinking of taking Finlay and Daisy down to see Sarah."

"Is that wise?"

"Probably not."

"I would advise against anyone going out unless it's absolutely necessary."

"So we're in lockdown?"

"Effectively, yes. We don't know who attacked the pair although we have a good clue. I've asked for a few stills from the CCTV that have been enhanced, in case we can recognise the person."

"Okay, what do you suggest I do?"

"Get some breakfast, in case lunch doesn't happen."

Tammy showered and dressed, opting for jeans. Breakfast was a DIY affair, Zara now had a few days off, as did Lily, so that meant feeding themselves. Tammy checked the kitchen fridge for supplies, there was a fresh four pint milk carton and a reasonable supply of veggies.

"Thinking about dinner, Tammy?"

"Sort of, Dad, in case we needed to do any shopping."

"I've just had Dave Brown on the phone, no-one's going anywhere today."

"He said the same to me. I suppose we could use a helicopter if we had to go out?"

"I don't think my pilots would like to be shot at?"

"True, just a thought."

"Well, have a think about dinner, so long as it doesn't involve turkey?"

"I have an idea, but I'm not sure if it's my turn to cook?"

"Well, let Angela do it, if you'll accept beans on toast or a cheese toastie?"

"I'll see if Suzie will give me a hand?"

"Sounds like a good idea, what's this about her moving in with you?"

"Her boyfriend is about to become an ex and she can't justify running her place by herself. It might make sense if we're together, so we can look out for each other?"

"I agree."

"Suzie didn't want mum to know about her relationship, I know she worries alot."

"That's okay, Suzie told me herself about her intention but not the primary reason, I just wanted to make sure you already knew."

"Yeah, I don't like keeping stuff from mum but she'll get emotional over it."

"So do you, young lady, when you don't get your own way."

Dave Brown came over late lunchtime, he'd clearly been busy.

"I've managed to get hold of Chief Inspector Brown and I've persuaded him to brief us concerning the attack on Miss Smith and Mr Hibbert. An officer was gathering additional CCTV and then they'll come up here."

"Okay, is it possible we'll recognise the attacker?"

"Even if it's a long-shot, we really need to identify this person. We've put a gate guard on the house and I've suggested we keep your gates locked, any visitors can go via Elsie's?"

"We've done that before, but we don't want to advertise the connecting gate."

"Given that the two properties are half a mile apart, with a long adjoining fence, it would be amazing that there wasn't an internal route, wouldn't it?"

"I suppose so."

"So treat that information as an open secret, you don't advertise it but there's no point in denying it."

"Fair enough."

"Now, apart from any visiting police officers, are you expecting anyone today?"

"No, our PA isn't back until Tuesday. That reminds me, mum wants Finlay checked by the doctor, she'll phone on Tuesday morning for an appointment."

"It might be advisable if Florence attends that appointment, if he or she have to go out."

"If I suggested that, mum would assume I was being pushy."

"Whereas I can suggest it from a security perspective?"

"Indeed. How is the downloading going?"

"About eighty percent done, apparently."

"Not finished? We have fibre here so it's much faster than Elsie's connection. Is there anything we could do to speed it up?"

"What I wanted Finlay to do was to grab the most important ones first, instead he's grabbed the whole lot."

"So we could have been listening already?"

"Indeed, he needs to learn a few things about prioritisation!"

"He's fifteen, other people's priorities are irrelevant. I guess you didn't want to irk him by stopping the download to identify the ones you wanted?"

"Correct, under different circumstances I'd simply get a warrant and be done with it."

"Can't we still do that, Dave? Shouldn't we have a warrant anyway, in case of difficulties?"

"I was considering that, but I'd like to work with him as he's a ward of court and I'd hate to have to answer to the court."

"That leads to another question, don't we have to inform the Official Solicitor what we're doing?"

"Not us, let's make that clear. We have no official rights in this case so everything should be done via the school, the family solicitors or the police."

"So, how do we do this?"

"I briefed DI Kevin Edmunds this morning, he's very interested."

"I bet he is."

"Now, what about young Finlay's business interests?"

"If we inform the Official Solicitor then we'll lose access to the studio and there's a good chance the business will be closed, temporarily."

"That is a risk."

"I've had a think about it, what I suggest is we let my PA manage the day to day affairs?"

"So it's at arm's length from the boy?"

"Yes, Dave, obviously we'll need something in writing from Finlay. He could brief Pru later in the week?"

"Sensible, keep it legal and keep him happy. I wonder if he's missed bookings as he couldn't respond in time when he's in school?"

"That's possible, we can tell him that Pru will manage any incoming requests through the day?"

"Indeed, Tammy."

Dave's phone pinged, he checked it. "That was Thomas, DS Franklin is on his way."

"Thomas uses a mobile phone?"

"Why ever not?"

Tammy had to admit defeat, she simply hadn't ever considered that a butler would use such a device. She went outside to open the gate for Ben Franklin's vehicle, a marked police car.

"Was that sensible, Ben?"

"No choice Tammy, Sandy needed my car today and none of the unmarked cars were available."

She escorted him into the study.

"Hello again, Mr Brown, it seems this case is more than it seems."

"I hope the Chief Inspector has given you permission to be candid?"

"Yes, providing you can assist us?"

"We're both aiming for the same resolution? To find out who is targeting the children?"

"Indeed, Ben, now how about an update on Miss Smith and Mr Hibbert?"

"As you may know, Tanya Smith miscarried as a result of injuries received during the attack. She lost nearly two pints of blood through that and a laceration to her arm, it was very fortunate that they were found quickly."

"Is Tanya awake and has she been able to give a description?"

"Yes, but her description is limited. The attacker is female, brown hair and had a Manchester accent. That was the best we could do, she's receiving psychiatric help and won't be fit for a full interview for some time."

"Damn, what about Mr Hibbert?"

"His injury was less traumatic and although he lost blood he's well into recovery. He was spoken to separately, he thinks he can do a sketch but says she was five foot eight or nine tall, auburn hair and had an Anglicised Eastern European accent. He thinks he's seen her before."

Tammy looked at Dave Brown, "that description sounds familiar."

"Who are you thinking of, Tammy?"

"Penny Lavoska, or her sister Paula?"

"The two who tried to abduct your sister Angela, also mentioned a woman called Penelope. Do you have any photos I could show Miss Smith and Mr Hibbert?"

"I'm not sure, Ben, but there should be some photos in London of the pair? Dave?"

"I'll get onto that."

"Now, Tammy, why did you name those women?"

"They were associated with the Gores, who we originally suspected of the murder of the O'Shaughnessy parents." Dave wasn't happy with Tammy's reply.

"I see, are they no longer suspected?"

Dave Brown interrupted Tammy. "They're not the only suspects; that enquiry is outside of Police Scotland's remit, unfortunately." He swiftly continued. "I understand from the Chief Inspector that you have obtained some CCTV in town?"

"Yes, I've been to the hotels to see who stayed last night. I haven't as yet had a chance to view the images however."

Ben left, fortunately Richard was able to let him through the gate. Unfortunately, she was left with Dave.

"Why?"

"Sorry Dave."

"You released information that was outside his scope."

"I realise that."

"He'll most likely connect John and Anita Gore to Martin Gore in Wick and start making allegations that can't be supported."

"Ben's not like that."

"No? He'll write it up, just as you told him, and put it in the in-box of his inspector. The inspector will then send out a pair of half-brained constables in order to solve a murder that wasn't even in the country."

"Look, Dave, I'm sorry!"

She left the study and went straight to her room, trying to hold back the tears.

She must have fallen asleep as the next sound was her house phone ringing.

"Hello?"

"Ah, Tammy dear, I understand you're not feeling too good?"

"I'm a little stressed, Elsie."

"Could you come over? Lunch is shortly, and please bring a swimsuit."

She washed then decided that jeans were not 'de rigueur' for Elsie, that sent her on a search for a skirt. Her simple top was also switched to a blouse. Finally she applied a little mascara, blusher and lippy.

Feeling refreshed she picked up her bag, dropping the lippy into it. Her weapon was still there, she had kept forgetting to put it back in the safe. Under the circumstances, perhaps she should hang onto it?

She put some flats on her feet but took a pair of inch and a half heels. A separate bag held her swimsuit, towel and clean undies - just in case.

"Ah, there you are. We haven't had a chance to talk, have we?"

"Not unless you count the dinner table, Elsie?"

"That was just tittle tattle. Now, how are you?"

"I'm supposed to be on holiday yet I'm working every day, so I'm tired and I've started to make mistakes."

"Mistakes?"

"I gave some information away that I shouldn't have done and I was told off."

"You're not the only one who's tired, my dear, and you're not the only one making mistakes."

"I guess not."

"Good. Perhaps we should ask the only question that matters, are we doing this for the children or for us?"

"For the children, of course."

"So no easy path for ourselves?"

"Plainly no, but we have to support the children whilst letting them make their own choices."

"That's exactly it, in order to obtain the best resolution to the children's problems we may have to suffer a little pain."

"So I just accept that I'm tired and I may make mistakes?"

"You should always strive to minimise errors, but you can't help being tired and I told the same thing to Mr Brown. He's going back to London tomorrow, by the way."

"Oh."

"He has work there and is limited in what he can achieve here. I believe you and Suzie can manage the situation and he agreed with me."

"Thank you for the confidence, I'm not sure I deserved it."

"Tammy, your biggest asset is your insight but that's tempered by your inexperience. You can't be taught experience, but you can be guided. Mr Brown, with the best will in the world, is not a good teacher or guide."

Tammy laughed, "I had noticed! What do I do, though, if I have a question?"

"Simple, ask, if you can."

"And if I can't?"

"Use common sense or put the question off until you can ask. Not every question can be answered straight away and reasonable people should understand that."

"Okay, thanks."

"Now, I understand you've spoken at length with Finlay?"

"Yes, I understand him better now."

"Good, what about his medical issue?"

"He needs a blood test to determine what damage those pills have done."

"Alison or Andrea can do that, that means he doesn't have to go to the surgery."

"I'd forgotten about that option."

"Now, when are you going to see your friend?"

"I don't see how I can right now, but she'll be home soon?"

"Not for a few days, but I understand your mother is going to the hospital tomorrow morning with a change of clothes for them."

"Oh, she must have a key to the cottage?"

"Janet holds a spare key, she's been to the cottage today."

Tammy knew Elsie wasn't well but she was still capable of running rings around everyone.

"Did you call Janet?"

"Of course."

"And suggested that to mum?"

"Yes, she's Tanya's manager?"

Tammy paused, not really wanting to ask the next question. Elsie seemed to sense it.

"Go ahead, dear, ask it."

"How are you?"

"Oh, oh, a loaded question."

"If you're not comfortable?"

"No, no, Tammy. I feel better at the moment than I have for a long time. I finished the latest course of chemo a few days before Christmas and it took a few days before I had my energy back. The girls have me on steroids and some light pain relief so I'm lasting longer each day."

"I didn't think you were going to do any more chemo?"

"I wasn't, but I was being selfish. The cancer is out to get me, for sure, but I can keep it at bay for a little longer."

"How much longer?"

"A few months, at the most, but it should be long enough."

"Long enough for what?"

"To ensure a future for Daisy, Finlay and Florence."

"The law, I suspect, will move slowly."

"Perhaps, anyway you would wish to be aware what I have planned for Helen."

"Because if Cathy adopts the children, they become the next heirs?"

"Correct."

up
382 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Elsie is correct in her

Elsie is correct in her assessment of Tammy. Good ideas, good work ethic, good empathy skills, but very inexperienced in what her real job demands. That only comes through two things. a) Training and lots of it; and b) Time in doing the job. Tammy from all respects shows and actually proves in many instances that she has the desire, the "smarts" and the abilities needed; now all she needs to do is combine training and time into one and she will be a true asset to her team and organization.

Like any junior officer......

D. Eden's picture

Tammy is being thrust into situations she hasn't been prepared for, nor does she have the experience to guide her. What she needs is either a good mentor, or a good noncom.

Luckily, I had years of training from my father and uncles, and then a very good Chief to help me through my first tour.

Dallas

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Tammy has yet to understand Murphy

Alecia Snowfall's picture

Murphy's Law of Combat 73. Field experience is something you don't get, until just after you need it.
Murphy's Law of Combat 76. For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

send a third stage

Alecia Snowfall's picture

send a third stage guild navigator. we sense; plans, within plans. we sense Shiraz behind it.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Guild Navigator

It's the spice. It makes them dream dreams and see visions.

Gwen

Poor Elsie

joannebarbarella's picture

She's holding herself together by sheer willpower, chemo not withstanding, so that she can leave her family with a future that makes some sense. It's hard for anybody who has not been close to someone with a debilitating cancer to understand what they go through.

Get evidence without anyone knowing

Jamie Lee's picture

If cases are flying under other agency radars, and time is a factor, gaining warrants can be problematic. They usually require probable cause and might alert those same people who don't need to know.

Because time is a factor, hours are long for everyone, and everyone will make some type of mistake. Some more blatant than others.

Even though the type work these people do can affect the country, there must be time set aside for proper training. Training which must not be interrupted when another body is needed. And before a person goes solo, they should work side by side with an extremely experienced person. Otherwise mistakes will be made when fatigue sets in.

Others have feelings too.