It's Complicated - Part 18 "Highland Express"

Printer-friendly version
 It's Complicated  

Part
 
Eighteen

 

"Highland Express"

 

 
This is the seventh book in the Tamara's Tales (formerly Tommy & Tamara) series. For the whole saga visit Tamara's Tales
 

 
Wednesday 6th January 2016
 

"What's today's chores, Tammy?"

"Taking Florence to see the doctor at ten thirty this morning, Daisy has an appointment this afternoon."

"So, it's babysitting duty?"

"I'm no baby, Ben, and I really don't think Florence would appreciate that description."

"It's just a saying, surely you've heard it?"

"I may have, but don't call be Shirley."

"Doh! I walked into that one. Seriously, why don't both of the kids see the doctor this morning?"

"Florence has an appointment on the phone at eleven thirty, we wouldn't be back in time."

Tammy drove Florence to the Doctor's surgery, accompanied by DS Franklin.

"Good morning Tammy, from the conversation with your mother I was expecting a boy?"

"Sorry, Doctor, but for security reasons, Finlay is appearing as Florence today. I have written authority from the school, by the way."

"That isn't a problem, she faxed confirmation, it's just that she didn't mention I would see Florence. Now, dear, how old are you?"

"Fifteen, I'll be sixteen on Friday."

"I see. Now, I'll need you to strip down to your underwear and I'm required to have a chaperone in the room. I can ask Miss Smart to step out and a nurse will come in, or Miss Smart can stay?"

"Can Aunt Tammy stay, please."

"Okay, we'll do the basics first."

That took care of height, weight, BP and pulse. "Your heart's racing a little, there's no need to be worried as I think it's only 'White Coat Syndrome'."

Tammy giggled, having heard it a few times before.

"Now, Florence, please step behind the screen and undress to your underwear, then put on the gown."

If Dr Adi was surprised about Florence's breast development, she didn't say anything, not at first.

"You can get dressed again."

Florence took a few minutes, asking Tammy to help with her dress.

"Physically you're in good shape and the numbers are in the right range. Having said that, I'm going to ask for an ultrasound of your breasts and your lower abdomen. Depending on the results of that we may go for a CT scan as well."

"Am I alright, Doctor?"

"To be honest, I don't know what damage has been done. I know about the pills, but I don't know why you took them. When did you stop taking them?"

"A month ago."

"Okay, Dr Yates, the Endocrinologist at Dunbar hospital has asked for another set of bloods, so we'll do those before you leave. I'm holding off referring you to the paediatric psychiatrist as there's a month wait and I understand there's already an appointment booked."

Tammy wanted to ask questions, but not whilst Florence was in earshot. Florence didn't complain about having blood taken,, only three vials this time. Dr Adi had patients waiting so didn't have the time, or inclination, for further discussion. "I'll call Mrs Smart later."

They drove back to Dunbankin' in near silence, Florence appeared to be considering the GP's words. Once indoors Tammy took her into the study whilst Ben sat in the kitchen.

"What are we doing, Aunt Tammy?"

"Making a call."

Tammy called a Glasgow number. "Professor Roberts office."

"This is Tamara Smart, could you put me through to Julian please."

There was a short wait.

"Miss Smart, how are you?"

"Fine, Professor."

"Now, how can I be of service?"

"Hopefully you have received the background material and the recent bloods relating to Florence?"

"I have, is an Endocrinologist report available?"

"Not yet, Helen Yates will use a new set of bloods, drawn today, for that report."

"Excellent, the two sets will be a week apart. Is Miss Florence with you, or is it Finlay today?"

"Florence, Sir."

"Right, Miss Smart could you give us some privacy?"

"Certainly, Professor."

"Ciao."

Tammy joined Ben in the kitchen, Zara had made a pot of coffee for them but was in the laundry room.

"Where's your parents?"

"Why, did you want to ravish me?"

Ben spluttered his coffee over the kitchen table. "Damn you!"

Tammy just smiled. "Mum's back at work and Dad's in a meeting at the school. Neither will be back before four."

"Tammy, please don't do that. Sandy is suspicious of this work change, especially if I'm with you more."

"Come on, Ben, you've known me for long enough to know I might tease but I don't bite."

"Maybe, but Sandy barely knows you outside of the theatre."

"I'm no threat to her."

"Don't you have a boyfriend?"

"I don't have the time for one, then I might have to get him cleared!"

"Oh, you'll have to complete an officially approved relationship form?"

"Yeah, did you make that up?"

"Yes, except I think they exist in some agencies!"

Zara walked back in so Tammy decided to check on Florence. She opened the study door gently and took a look, Florence was using the handset and was hunched over the phone talking in a low voice. Tammy backed out.

"Tell me, Tammy, did you put that boy in skirts?"

"I thought you said you'd been briefed?"

"I was, plainly the reason wasn't part of the briefing."

"The short answer is no, but I'll support whatever choices he, or she, makes."

Ben's phone rang, he told the caller where he was and rang off.

"What's that?"

"I have a delivery, but no-one's at home. If you don't mind, I've asked them to come here."

It was ten minutes later when Zara opened the door to the caller.

"There's a courier for DS Franklin."

Outside, the courier was unloading the van, there were boxes upon boxes of varying sizes, Tammy could see the Metropolitan Police logo on several of the packages. Ben went outside to unlock his car, then started loading it. It was another five minutes before he signed the little screen on the device the courier held out. Back inside they moved into the kitchen.

"What's all that for?"

"A couple of uniforms, anti-stab vest, boots, that sort of thing."

"Can't you use the ones you already have?"

"No, and I've had to return all that kit.

"I suggest you check the uniform in case they included skirts, apparently I have a knack for getting boys into skirts?"

"Now you're teasing me!"

"Well, mistakes do happen."

"Not to me! Anyway, I believe you have some ammunition here?"

"Why are you asking?"

"DI Edmunds told me to collect a hundred rounds for myself, I'm expecting a delivery tomorrow and it accepts 9mm."

"I see. I'll insist on a signature."

"Naturally."

"Where are you storing this?"

"I have a safe being delivered this afternoon."

It was another fifteen minutes before Florence came out of the room, she looked tired.

"How did it go?"

"Difficult."

"Did he ask you difficult questions?"

"No, it was the ones I asked myself that were the hardest to answer."

Whilst Florence waited in the kitchen, Tammy opened the safe for Ben. He helped himself to ammunition then signed the logsheet that Kevin had faxed, with Tammy checking and countersigning.

Once Ben was happy that he had done everything necessary, and Tammy was content that she had covered what she needed, they parted company.

"We're going back to the surgery at three, can you meet me at the McPherson house a bit before three?"

Tammy and Florence had a lunch appointment with Elsie, they rode over on a buggy.

"Did you come to a decision, Florence?"

"Maybe, but I want to think about it before I say anything."

"Okay, we need to tell the Head soon."

"I know, but this isn't easy."

Both of them went to their rooms, Tammy needed to wash and redo her face, taking the opportunity to change her pad. At least she felt fresher when she went down for lunch, just before one, meeting Helen on the stairs.

"Thank you for your advice, Tammy."

"That's okay, what have you decided?"

"There's a course starting next week that's only until June that's an introduction local government."

"That sounds interesting, what's your plan?"

"I'll start a new Open University degree course later in the year but this way I can support the Thurso community council."

"Doesn't that council have a part time clerk?"

"Yes, but she's retiring later in the year and I'll apply for the position."

"What's your long term aim, then?"

"To get into Caithness council, but I'll need experience first."

"As a politician?"

"No way, no, I'll see if I can get into one of the support departments. I don't need the money but I do need real world experience."

"I don't want to sound patronising, Helen, but it sounds like you've done your research?"

"Elsie helped, she knows the lady who's retiring."

Tammy laughed, "of course she would."

"I'm still thinking of doing a cruise though."

"Which one?"

"The Northern Lights, it's in the autumn and I'm booking it after lunch."

Thomas informed them that lunch was being served.

"Alison, where's your sister?"

"Oh, Andrea has had to return to work."

Elsie was wheeled into the dining room as Tammy and Alison spoke, adding her voice to the conversation.

"I could have insisted that Andrea stayed but her career is important, plus I am feeling considerably better than I was two weeks ago."

"I wish I could have said bye to her."

"She had a call this morning, whilst you were at the doctor's surgery, she left about half an hour ago. It wasn't our usual manager though."

Tammy was concerned, "did the call come on her mobile or the house phone, Alison?"

"The house phone."

"What time?"

"Around ten o'clock."

"Okay, how was she travelling?"

"Flying but she was having to take the train to Inverness as apparently there's fog at Wick Airport. She was asked in the call how she was travelling, the caller told her about the fog."

"Excuse me."

Tammy left the dining room, she went upstairs for privacy before trying Andrea's mobile but it was off. Given that the railway line passed through a largely uninhabited area, this was not wholly unexpected. She considered her next option, opting to call DI Kevin Edmunds.

"I'm concerned about one of Elsie's nieces." Tammy explained what she knew.

"This normally wouldn't warrant any action."

"Well, given what's been happening, can you at least check the incoming calls to the house?"

"Okay, what's the number?"

Tammy gave him the number and waited whilst it was checked. It was several minutes before Kevin returned.

"I've got a list of the calls from nine this morning and there's no London numbers. There's a mobile at nine fifty five and a local call fifteen minutes later."

"Can you see who owns that mobile?"

"You do realise that all this has to be logged?"

"Yes, Kevin."

"Give me a minute."

Tammy waited, and waited.She took the opportunity to check the train times, there was a 1306 departure that looked likely, it was now ten past one.

"That phone was purchased this morning in Inverness, and it's near Thurso right now."

"Bugger, is there a name?"

"None recorded, it's a Pay As You Go phone. That's the only call it's ever made."

"Damn, we need to find Andrea."

"I've sent an alert to Police Scotland."

"Isn't there anything more we can do?"

"The phone's moving, it's location is given as Halkirk."

"That's the village next to Georgemas Junction, on the line between Inverness and Wick."

"So it's on the train? I'll update the alert and give them a call."

Alison came to find Tammy. "Any news?"

"I'm not sure, but I don't think Andrea's safe." Tammy was trying to put on a brave face but was soon in tears. "I can't protect her."

Alison sat next to Tammy, putting her arm around the girl. "Look, it's probably nothing."

"No, that call was fake, she's been targeted."

Her phone started to make noises. "Tammy, Tammy?"

"Here, Kevin."

"Police Scotland will meet the train at Helmsdale, that's the first place they can get a unit to."

"That's an hour down the line from here!"

"Can't be helped, they've had to get an armed unit from Inverness as a precaution."

"Can't we stop the train? Bring it back?"

"No, Scotrail wouldn't do that unless we could demonstrate a danger to the train."

"Is there nothing we can do?"

"We wait, that's all."

up
405 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I told you

I don't wish Andrea any ill, but it looks as if Tammy wasn't jumping at shadows. The prevailing attitude around the house has been she's playing cops and robbers and taking it (and herself) too seriously. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if the train makes an unscheduled stop. I can't believe that anybody that put the snatch on Andrea would sit there and placidly wait for the next station.

I see another possible problem. Daisy has the appointment in a couple of hours, under the (possible) circumstances Tammy has to accompany her, armed if she is smart. But she is going to want to stay on top of the Andrea situation. I can't remember if she has a secure cellphone or not. As I have remarked elsewhere, Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean you don't have enemies.

It reminds me of the epitaph on the tombstone, "I Told You I Was Sick".


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

As the old saying goes.......

D. Eden's picture

I know I'm being paranoid, but am I being paranoid enough?

Eden

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

*SMACK*

Alecia Snowfall's picture

*smacks kudo button*

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

You Can Never Check Everything

joannebarbarella's picture

We know Tammy is now feeling guilty because Andrea is in danger, but the forces of evil only have to get lucky once, whereas protection has to work all the time.

Whoever it is, they're determined.

M.L.o.C.

Alecia Snowfall's picture

Murphy's Law of Combat 15. The enemy invariably attacks on two occasions: a. When they're ready. b. When you're not.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Always something

Jamie Lee's picture

Finlay now has to face the real world by deciding which person the world will see. And he can't look to anyone to make that decision. He can acquire pros and cons from the doctors and others, but the final decision is his.

Finlay and Daisy are being sought by people who can't be found. Those same people have tried an end around and tried taking another person to get at the kids. And now Tammy has discovered Andrea may be in danger, may be used to get at the kids.

With these known people running around who knows where, and appear will do anything to get at the kids, why does it seem security is taken so lightly with everyone but the kids? If those people can get to anyone near the kids, that person can be used to get at the kids. Either by trade or finding out the location of the kids. Or maybe this is what the higher ups have planned in order to get at those people? If this is the case, it's real risky.

Others have feelings too.