A Summer's Odyssey IV Chapter 14 - A

Printer-friendly version
A Summer's Odyssey IV
Chapter 14 A

Bill Dougherty’s sons and wives, the second Dougherty generation had met with their third generation children and spouses to discuss their future. James and John worked for the same company and knew their employer was preparing to move operations to Mexico which meant they’d be out of work within six months or even sooner. Their sons, daughters, son-in-laws and daughter-in-laws were all worried about their future since each of the five had at least one member unemployed. Arrangements were made for the family to visit over the Fourth of July Weekend.

The clan made plans for an all day picnic celebration on June 14. The day was a seminal date for the clan. What happened on that day culminated with the founding of the Clan Wells Point one hundred seven days later on September 29. Not only was it Flag Day, June 14 was the day a cancer ridden near dead Carol O’Brien commissioned her twelve year old son Kristopher to somehow get his nine year old twin sisters Lyndi and Teri from Cape Cod Massachusetts to their grandmother’s Jane O’Brien, farm near Neavitt, Maryland with only fifty dollars. Along the way Kristopher discovered his true gender.

What would have been a five hundred mile plus trek stalled on the thirty forth day when Krissy collapsed after almost being struck by a car driven by Lisa nelson. After recovering at the Nelson home they drove Krissy and her sisters to their grandmother and her father. The rest was, as they say, history. During the stressful trip Krista grew into a person who had no choice but to help others.

Carol O’Brien took her life by walking into the Atlantic Ocean early in the morning after commissioning Kristopher. While her body was recovered and buried in the family cemetery on Wells Point, the sight of the picnic. They all knew that Carol’s final resting place was not the end of her life. She became the clan’s Guardian Angel as did Susan Warren her body died due to the ravages of cancer.

The day was bright and sunny with temperature in the low eighties with gentle winds of two to three MPH. The celebration began at 10am. Grills were lit and hot dogs, burgers, and chicken went on. Corn on the cob was in large pots of boiling water. Ice tea, lemonade, Coke’s and coffee were available. A softball game started as did badminton and volleyball. Games of freeze tag and red light green light, were played. Of course the all time favorite bubble wands were readily available. Laughter and squeals of joy were ever present. Tony was playing softball and Krista was helping to keep an eye on the babys, infants and toddlers who were corralled in a fenced in area.

There was the loud metallic CRACK of an aluminum baseball bat. Krista, Jaz and Jenny were walking to the grills when someone shouted “LOOK OUT” as the ball flew off sideways toward the fenced in area. Reacting like the cat she often appeared to be Krista whirled about to see the ball hurtling toward the little kids. With her typical selfless instincts and feline grace she dove to block the errant ball. Her aim was good but not perfect. Leaping sideways with arms outstretched the ball struck her left forearm deflecting it away from the defenseless kids but not stopping it. The hard nearly four inch in diameter ball hit ricocheted from her arm to smash squarely on the bridge of her nose.

Needless to say Krista instantly saw stars as blood exploded from her nose. She landed prone with a thud and bounced nearly a foot into the air. Jaz and Jenny ran to her as did dozens of others. Dazed, Krista pushed herself up to look to the startled toddlers to make sure none had been hurt. With double vision she couldn’t tell if she’d succeeded. With sheer guts and determination she crawled to her feet. Wobbling back and forth she blearily saw the kids staring at her.

Jaz was the first to reach her best friend. She was horrified to see the bridge of her nose was bashed in. “Krista... oh my God! Krista! Sit down!” Jaz grabbed Krista by the shoulders and tried to make her sit down.

Krista resisted mumbling “Duh kishds...”

Jaz wrapped her arms about Krista and with Jenny’s assistance sat down pulling her with her. “The kids are okay, Krista, you saved them.”

“Yuh shuur?” Krista asked as her head bobbled and she looked almost cross eyed at her BFF.

Jaz struggled to keep from crying as she hugged Krista, her clasped hands soaked by the blood pouring from her BFF’s nose. “I’m sure, Krista, you saved them,” she forced herself to say.

“Gud...” Krista mumbled as she relaxed into her friend’s embrace and closed her eyes. Then her body spasmed for fifteen seconds, went limp and lay still in Jasmine’s caring embrace. The blood flowing from her nose stopped.

Jaz let out a horrified wail. “NOOOOOOooooo...” As she burst into tears clutching the friend who had saved her life.

By then others reached Krista. Several distracted the kids. Leroy had seen his feisty daughter leap and winced as he not only saw the ball’s double impact but heard it. Much like his daughter often did when someone needed help he sprinted to her aid. Several people stood gathered around Krista’s still form clearly in shock when he reached her. One look was enough to let him know Krista had succumbed to her injuries. Without hesitation he scooped her limp form off Jasmine’s lap and stood, gently laying her head against his shoulder as he swiftly ran to the first aid tent they always set up for picnics.

Jaz collapsed in tears. Jenny was crying too and knelt by Jaz hugging the equally distraught girl.

Dr Olsen and Dr. Sykes had been heading toward Krista but diverted to the first aid tent when they saw Leroy carrying Krista’s limp form. Gently Leroy laid the still body of his feisty daughter upon the sturdy table and stepped back as the doctors moved in. A quick check of her carotid artery revealed no pulse. Dr. Olsen began CPR as Dr. Sykes cleared her throat. Jane and Pat burst into the tent horrified to see the doctors frantically working on Krista. Leroy hugged both then shoving his anguish down stepped outside to keep people away and call for a ambulance.

Jane and Pat held each other as their tears flowed freely. Word quietly spread through the gathered now solemn clan that Krista was being given CPR. Tony saw Lyndi, Teri and Sandi crying in each other’s arms. Quietly he embraced the three and gently guided them through the crowd to the tent. Her brothers LJ and Peter followed in their wake.

No one could believe Krista was fatally injured... not Krista... thoughts of what would happen to the clan intruded into their shock... but quickly refocused on Krista.

After five minutes of CPR it was clear to the doctors and those in the tent that Krista was not going to wake up. Her eyes, nose, cheeks and forehead were near black from blunt force hemorrhages. The ever cheerful face looked distorted and waxlike. Sobs filled those inside as Pat led Jane outside. All it took for those waiting hopefully outside to see the misery on Jane’s and Pat’s faces before they too began crying.

Dr. Sykes draped a blanket over the fragile still form and she and Dr’ Olsen sadly stepped outside into the stunned but still caring arms of the grieving clan.

“Please kneel with me and pray,” Rev. Giles declared in a shaky voice as he and everyone else knelt. “Dear Lord, I know you have Krista in your loving arms. But we don’t understand why. I’ve never in my life asked why... but now I am... dear Lord, WHY? Krista was full of love and caring. How many times did she disregard her own safety to save others? Even today... she put herself in harm’s way to save others! She had so much to share! She wasn’t done! We’re not done with her!!! Dear Lord, I apologize for questioning your mysterious ways. Give us the strength to endure this horrendous loss! Give us the strength to live up to Krista’s hopes and example! Let her life be the inspiration for those of us left behind!”

For the next several minutes the only sound was quiet heartfelt and heart rending crying.

{To be continued....}

up
155 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Not what I needed to read today......

D. Eden's picture

I should have left this unread. I have been very depressed the past few days, and this really let it all out. I read this and just sat and cried for quite a while. I know this is just a story, but I have always been able to count on it to cheer me up. I sincerely hope that I will still be able to say that going forward.

Eden

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

*falls over*

Alecia Snowfall's picture

*falls over* OH NO!

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

a fans plee

It can not end like this please.

O.M.G.

Please let Bobby walk out the shower in part B.

Sammi

Plz No!

Please don't let this end this way!

this is not the end

more to come.

Boys will be girls... if they're lucky!

Jennifer Sue

Oh god...

Please noooo, she is the heart and soul of Wells Point, and this story ugh... I went from the high of reading Snowfall's Late Night Princess, to Krista succumbing to her injuries in front of everyone and dying in Jaz's arms... omg noooo!

Sad Sara =p

So does this mean that Clan

So does this mean that Clan Wells Point now has three Guardian Angels? I am truly hoping not, rather that Krista will be brought back by her mother, after being told it is not yet her time.

never saw that

Krista has been the most infuential member of the Clan. I hope the entire Clan stays together.

Perhaps Krista will be the third guardian angel

J Schade