Gaby Book 14 ~ The Girl ~ Chapter *15* Delayed Departure

Printer-friendly version
gaby book 14 cover.jpg
 
 get the complete book here! {Or here (US)}
 
 
*Chapter 15*

Delayed Departure

 
 
“So what’d he say?”
“That I’m to keep you out of trouble.”
“As if!”
“They’ll pack our stuff up, we’ll be off as soon as we get to the hotel pretty much.”
“Wonder if we’ll get breakfast?” Mand mused.
“Wouldn’t bet on it,” I sighed.

Aoi rejoined us a moment later,
“Sorted, the second class was full so you got an upgrade to first.”
“Nice,” Jules observed.
“So,” Aoi went on, “let’s get home.”
We headed back out of the station into the cooling evening.
“Is it far?” Mand enquired,
“About thirty minutes on the Metro and a few minutes walk from the station, I think we’ll take a taxi though, it’ll be easier I think.”

Today’s trip has turned into quite an adventure and as the taxi edged through central Kyoto the day got the better of me.
“Gab, wake up.”
“Eh?”
I felt myself being prodded upright.
“Come on, Gab, we’re there,” Mand insisted.
Where?
“Um,” I stretched as I came back to consciousness.
“We’re at Aoi’s,” Jules put in.
Aoi paid off the cab, a moment later it was gone leaving us in the dimly lit street outside of our hosts apartment block.
“Come, let’s get inside and I’ll make some coffee.”

Just the thought of hot beverage had me shivering which in turn had me hurrying after the others. There wasn’t a lift so we had to climb the stairs to the third floor apartment, my arms were killing by the time I got there, I hadn’t exactly been planning on much walking when I bought all this stuff. We waited for Aoi to open up then followed inside.
“Close the door behind please, Juliette.”
“Sure.”
Mand started to blunder inside; I had to grab her arm to stop her.
“What’s up?”
“Shoes?” I mentioned.
“Er right.”
I parked my bags before pulling my bikers off.
“Ah!”
“Ew!” Mand added, “what a pong.”
Bum, the curse of a day’s sightseeing, smelly feet. I can hardly sit about with stinky socks on so I pulled them off and stuffed them in my shoes.

Aoi’s flat wasn’t exactly big, not quite a student bedsit but not a great deal bigger although it does boast a separate sleeping area to the living space. Not quite sure where we’ll sleep but hey ho, it’s better than trying to sleep on a coach.
“Everyone for coffee?”
“Please,” I agreed.
“Go find somewhere to sit, I’ll bring it through.”
 
 
You’ve been here I’m sure, someone’s home you don’t really know that well, you don’t want to disturb anything but you’re curious just the same. The living room, for want of a better description was sparsely furnished, neatly filled shelves on two walls, sliding doors to I guess a balcony, tatami flooring and several floor cushions. A computer desk filled one corner and a flat screen TV helped fill the remaining space.
The cushions represented the best seating option; we each made ourselves comfortable to wait for our hostess.

“Ah good,” Aoi mentioned coming to join us. “The coffee won’t be long.”
“Can we um, rinse out our smalls?” Jules asked.
“There is a laundry room downstairs.”
“It’s only like knickers and Gabs smelly socks,” Mand put in.
“Hey!”
“We didn’t exactly come prepared for overnight,” Jules added.
“Of course not, don’t worry, the store is open we can get you some things.”
The hiss of the coffee maker interrupted the discussion, coffee trumps dirty undies any day!

We drank our coffee during which Aoi offered the use of the shower.
“There are towels on the shelf, I’ll go to the store.”
“I’ll come too,” I asserted, she’d already paid for taxis today; we can buy our own pants!

The temperature outside had by now dropped to not quite uncomfortable, I zipped my fleece up to my neck and buried my hands in the pockets.
“A little cold,” Aoi noted.
“Maybe shorts were a bit ambitious,” I allowed.
“You had a good day, Gaby?”
“It’s been well cool, thanks for taking us around.”
“I’ve enjoyed it too, mostly my work is commercial studio stuff, it was nice to be out around the city.”

We reached the ground floor and Aoi led the way around the end of the building to where a brightly lit convenience store beckoned.
“Neat.”
“It’s open twenty four hours, very useful.”
“Not many.”
“Sorry?”
“Just agreeing, the only place open at this time back home is the petrol station.”
“Ah so.”
Inside it really was an Aladdin’s Cave of stuff, veggies, bento, snack foods, beer, a few magazines and my grail for tonight, an underwear vending machine! Having had previous experience I quickly selected and purchased the knickers and three random packs of hosiery, BH’s will have to survive a second wearing. Aoi meanwhile had selected some groceries for which she was paying by the time I’d done with the knicker box.

Back at the apartment Jules and Mand were showered, I took my turn while they helped Aoi with the bedding. Of course I should’ve known from my manga, we’d be sleeping on the floor, no western comforts here. It wasn’t particularly late, sometime around ten but we were all equally tired after being on the go for like fourteen hours.
 
 
“What time is it?” Mand asked in the morning gloom.
I fumbled for my phone, “Five thirty.”
“Urgh,” she allowed.
“We should get up soon,” I mumbled.
“Ga-ab,” Jules moaned, “shuddup.”
Seems like it’s a family thing—the not doing mornings.

We didn’t get to lie there much longer, Aoi was up and crashing about in the kitchen not ten minutes later – I say crashing, it just seems louder in the dead of night.
“Time to get up, girls.”
“Er yeah,” I agreed.
“Hmmm,” Mand stated into her pillow.

Whilst not a bouncy mattress, the floor hadn’t been the worst place to sleep; the tatami adding a degree of cushioning to our sleeping arrangements. By the time we were up and dressed, the aroma of coffee permeated the flat and despite last night’s dinner my stomach was having a bit of a rumble.

“Come,” Aoi encouraged, ”I’ve ordered a taxi, it will be here fifteen minutes, time for coffee and sweet cakes.”
Food, sweet food, hmm.

The Japanese aren’t exactly coffee connoisseurs, Aoi’s choice is a bit erm, muddy on the other hand it’s hot and it’s here! The sweet cakes were a bit plasticky, more steam-baked supermarket than patisserie but beggars can’t be choosers, they filled a hole and it’s a bit early to open the Haribo! The toot of a car horn below announced our transports arrival; we rushed about collecting our stuff then tumbled down to the road.
 
 
It was still pre dawn as we retraced our route across the city, with no real traffic about we made good time arriving at the station just turned six thirty. Aoi paid off the taxi before joining us on the trip up to the platform. We joined the queue to board; a lot of delayed travellers filled the platform with friends and family.
“Thanks,” I allowed giving the pink haired woman a hug.
“My preasure, Gaby.”
“Thanks Aoi,” Jules added.
“Say hi to Miyaki for me.”
“We will.”
We concluded our farewells and passed the conductor who directed us to car one, first class!
 
 
It might be twelve hours late but we were barely settled in our seats when Nozomi One started its journey. We waved to Aoi stood on the platform amongst the numerous other leave takers, chaperone? More like older sister.

First Class, the most immediate difference to our outbound journey was the more spacious seating, we’ve fallen for table seats this time. We were still snaking out of Kyoto when a steward started moving down the carriage serving apparently complimentary coffee and what appeared to be some sort of omelette. Alright for some, but I guess they’ve paid top dollar for their tickets.
“Konichi wa, coffee or a tea?”
“Um.”
“Arigato, coffee,” Jules was a bit more awake than me.
The drinks were poured and the steaming food placed before us.
“Arigato.”
“Yes o good morning, sayonara,” he smiled before moving to the next seats.
“Hmm, the coffee’s better than Aoi’s,” Mand opined after taking a sip.
“Are we supposed to have this?”
“We got upgraded right,” Jules mentioned.
“Don’t look a gift horse.” Mand added unwrapping her chopsticks.
All around us other travellers were tucking into their breakfast, what the hell!
 
 
It’s a bit surreal, eating and drinking with the Japanese countryside zipping past the window at 200kph. I know you do it when you fly but you are remote from fixed points of reference, the sensation of speed just isn’t the same. Sunlight slanted through the windows, it looks like it might be a good day.
Food out of the way I started sorting through my assorted bags of souvenirs and tosh.
“Hope you’ve got room for that lot in your case,” Jules put forward.
“Yeah,” I allowed.
Well I think so anyhow, oh yeah. I dug about and found what I was looking for.
“Here you go, Mand.”
“What is it?” she asked taking the box from me.
“Open it and find out,” I hinted.
She picked at the tape holding the shiny red box closed.
“Oh, Gab, oh it’s beautiful!”
She slid the Kokeshi from the tissue paper and showed it to us.
“Pretty cool,” Jules allowed.
“But why? It’s not my birthday or anything.”
“Does there have to be a reason?”
“I can’t take it, Gabs, it cost a fortune.”
“Who’s counting? I got it for you.”
“Take it, Mand,” Jules encouraged.
“But…”
“Do I need a reason to buy something for a friend?”
“The dope’s bought it Mand, you might as well have it,” the Dark One noted.
“I guess it’s okay.”
“Great, anyone want a gummi bear?”
“If you ever do something like this again, Gaby Bond I’ll, I’ll have to hug you to death.”
“Where are those bears, Sis?”
 
 
“Is Dad meeting us?”
“He said so,” Goth Gurl stated.

We were threading our way into Hiroshima, our arrival at the Bahnhof imminent. The steward had returned twice more on the way down with fresh coffee and latterly sweet biscuits, I could get used to travelling first class. The earlier sunshine had given way to more overcast skies but rain looked unlikely which I’m sure Mum and the girls will be pleased about.

Our Shinkansen slid into the platform and we joined the restrained first class scramble to get off. Dad was of course waiting for us.
“Come on, I’ve got a taxi waiting.”
“Um morning, Dad.”
“Sorry kids, morning, George is chomping to get off, we can catch up once we’re on our way.”

We dodged through other travellers and out to where the taxi was waiting for us. We piled in and after dodging through the back streets piled back out at the Hotel Park Side Hiroshima where Ken was just loading bags onto the bus.
“You guys had breakfast?” Dad enquired.
“Well…”

Maddy Bell 10.11.15

up
322 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Always room for food!

Past time we had a chapter "Gaby and The Bottomless Pit Of Food"!

Well, it seems as if Our Wonderkind managed to stay out if trouble for a whole chapter. Will wonders never cease!


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Hiroshima

Glad they had no mishap in Hiroshima. Gaigin not really welcome there. My USMC Air base was about 40k from there, in late 70s we were told to take very low profile there. The girls righbout the bullet train too. Oh one thing about trains in Japan . better hope you're cause of any delay. If you are, then you're responsible also the time lost by all on train + wages. And probably some jail time and Japanese jails ... Well let's say you don't have rights. There's worse jails to be held in, like Turkey comes to mind ... Compared to USA, mexico jails are Hilton's to Japanese.
Well Gaby and kimono ... Wonder why they selected her, must have tiny tize of available. Also knowing Geisha are rarely seen by foreigners (its a racial contamination thing)
I'm guessing she was in a major ceremonial robe owned by someone ....
Any happy to see the girls had fun.
Last, but not least ... Friends ARE ALLOWED to buy things for friends. JUST BECAUSE