It's Complicated - Part 21 "Need To Know"

Printer-friendly version
 It's Complicated  

Part
 
Twenty One

 

"Need To Know"

 

 
This is the seventh book in the Tamara's Tales (formerly Tommy & Tamara) series. For the whole saga visit Tamara's Tales
 

 
Thursday 7th January 2016 (Continued)
 

"What's happened?"

"All we know is that Ben called, the library assistant couldn't get in and called Ben at home. Sandy went out just after eight as normal apparently."

"Okay, Elsie, who else knows?"

"I've called your father, William and Jonathon are manning the gates."

Tammy's mobile started to ring at that moment. She walked out of the lounge.

"Hello Kevin, I've just heard."

"Do you know anything else?"

"Only what I said earlier, she was seen by Sandy Smith."

"Right, we'll get an officer to interview Mrs Smith, where will I find her?"

"Thurso Beauty Salon."

"Okay, I suggest you evacuate the children and anyone else at risk, we have to assume that tomorrow's travel plans have been compromised."

"Understood."

"I've just spoken to your father, he's assisting with the new travel arrangements. I'm heading North now but someone else will meet you on the way."

The line went dead, she wasn't surprised to hear from her father almost straight away.

"I've organised a helicopter, it'll be with you in thirty once it's fully fuelled and checked over. Who's there?"

Tammy rattled off a list.

"We may have a problem, Pru noticed a car parked on the road near the estate entrance when she arrived."

"The only arrivals so far have been Tanya and John."

"They're at risk if they leave."

"Who'll be on the chopper?"

"Obviously Florence and Daisy ...."

"Hold it, Finlay's here right now!"

Tammy went back to the lounge. "We need Florence, you've got twenty minutes to change and pack. Daisy, you need to pack as well." Tammy reckoned the chopper could be a bit quicker than her father's estimate, fortunately Alison and Andrea offered to help. The doorbell sounded and everyone froze, Thomas was already at the door.

"I'm WPC Harris."

"Welcome to the madhouse, do you have an overnight bag?"

"I keep one in my car this time of year, why?"

"Unfortunately our plans have just changed, you're going on a trip, returning Sunday."

Gilly went back to her car, just as a shotgun went off. Tammy grabbed her bag and ran outside. "Hold on Dad, it's getting mad here." She cut the line and dropped the phone in her bag, whilst retrieving her weapon.

Gilly was crouching behind her car, Tammy crept along and squatted next to her. "What did you see?"

"That male," she pointed at Jonathon, "fired through the gate without a warning so that's an offence."

"Don't start on the staff, they're protecting the folk here and it could have been an animal?"

Tammy moved around the car so she could see Jonathon, he was looking down the lane, through the locked gates.

"What's up?"

"I thought I saw someone in the lane following the WPC's car, I closed the gates before they could get close."

"Did you shout a warning?"

"No, I fired a blank in the air in case it was a loose buck, I've salt and shot cartridges with me as well."

"What have you seen since?"

"Nothing, yet."

"I'm told there was a car on the main road, near the turning for the estate."

"Okay."

Tammy went back to Gilly. "It looks safe, but please take your bag and get inside quickly, I'll follow you."

A minute later they were in the lounge, Tammy had started to pack a weekend bag so now rushed to finish the job. She met Alison on the stairs.

"Florence is changing, I'm going to pack a bag and come along."

"Are you sure?"

"You might need a nurse, plus another pair of hands would be advisable?"

"Sure, so that's three adults and the two children." What about John and Tanya?

They split to their rooms. Cathy and Joan had wanted to be there and had both taken the Friday off work, but right now Alison would be the only adult McPherson on the flight.

Tammy noted that John's clothes were gone from her room, Tanya came to see her just after Tammy had changed out of her bikini, but redressed in her joggers.

"Where's John's clothes?"

"I think the maid took them, they would have been cleaned by the time we'd finished in the pool."

"Thanks for persuading John to get in the pool, he's quite upset about the scars."

"You don't mind about the swimsuit?"

"No, I offered him one of mine this morning!"

"There's a car watching who comes in, you shouldn't leave here until the road's been checked."

"Actually, won't you need my skills?"

"Perhaps, what do you suggest?"

"Elsie's told me the rough plan, you need to disguise the boy as a girl, but you still have a younger girl to disguise? I'm told that policewoman has pretended to be one of them, as well."

"Sure, that might help. Finlay is very adept at becoming Florence, but I reckon she'll need a more grown up look."

"Joanne showed me some theatre make-up techniques a year back, how about we turn Daisy into a small boy?"

"We don't have time now."

"No, I'll come with you. We'll sort the children out on the way."

"Florence has plenty of girl clothes but we don't have any boy stuff that will fit Daisy."

"I'm sure one of us can sort that out, we'll only need one or two sets for key times."

"Okay, but what about yourself?"

"I have a change of clothes in my swim bag, I'll muddle."

"Well, you would probably fit my stuff, you're looking good."

"Thanks, I'll need clean undies and I'm sure that can be organised."

"What about John?"

"Wouldn't it be useful to have a legal secretary?"

"Well, he has no clothes. Can we put him in something of yours?"

"I promised I wouldn't put him in a skirt!"

"Your jeans and trousers wouldn't fit him, there's a four inch difference!"

"Are you trying to turn him into your girlfriend?"

"Well, you managed it with a few others!"

"Really, Tanya, we don't have time for a discussion about this. Fine if you want to join us, but to be honest John would be surplus."

"Okay, his parents live near Birmingham so maybe he can join us for the ride?"

They all headed downstairs as the helicopter came into land, Richard was in the lounge, he handed Tammy an envelope.

"Don't open that until you're in the air. I've picked up your mum's bag, pick her up at the school."

"Okay Dad. Alison's coming with us."

"So that's four adults plus Florence and Daisy. I asked Pru to rebook six rooms."

"What's the plan?"

"I've told the pilots, there's no need for anyone else to be put at risk at the moment."

The six of them, plus Richard, went out to the helicopter. Tammy and Richard ensured they were all seated and belted before Tammy took the co-pilot's seat, which included a comms helmet. Richard closed the doors and they were airborne just in time to see a school minibus approach the estate gates, hopefully a suitable cover story could be organised.

It was a short flight over to the school, landing out the front on the gravel driveway. Tammy hopped out to open the rear door to admit Joan, getting her belted before she could take her place again.

"Where are we going, Tammy?"

"I don't know, mum."

This helicopter was one of the twelve passenger types, suitable for oil rig crew changes, so everyone had space. Tammy waited until they were airborne before speaking to the pilot.

"Pete, what's the flightplan?"

"Aberdeen Airport, for a tarmac transfer to a private flight. We lodged a flight to Inverness but it'll be changed once we're airborne and well South."

They lifted and very quickly cleared the school grounds. Tammy could now see a caretaker was closing the school main gates, clearly there was a huge security risk that could affect many more people than just the occupants of the helicopter.

Tammy checked everyone was comfortable, as best she could over the noise of the rotors. It was the first time several of them had flown in a chopper, so some faces looked a little green. Tammy pointed at the paper bag supply, just in case. Joan seemed to have a supply of travel sickness pills and started to offer these, insisting that the two youngsters took one.

She now opened the envelope. Pru had completely rebooked their travel and accommodation; they would now fly into Coventry where a coach would meet them, as well as DI Kevin Edmunds and a number of local officers. The name of the hotel wasn't given, they would be taken directly by the coach.

Pru hadn't changed the appointment at the solicitors, this was a precaution. She had however, cancelled all of the Saturday bookings for the recording studio and created a spurious booking for the following morning, her note included the security code. All the relevant contact numbers were included, as well as maps of the locations they would be visiting.

Their flight took them well away from built up areas, avoiding major roads, hopefully any observers in Thurso wouldn't know where they were going.

Several of the passengers fell asleep, although Tammy was spending her time exchanging text messages with Kevin to confirm who was on the flight, double checking her father's information presumably. Naturally, access to the mobile network was patchy and it was pointless to try making a call.

Two armed and uniformed officers were waiting near the business terminal helipad when they touched down.

"Miss Smart?"

"Yes."

"Could you gather everyone together, we're to escort you across to the far side of this terminal."

Tammy wasn't happy, their chopper would have landed right next to their onward flight, or transport could have been provided. Instead they were being told to walk.

"No."

"Pardon?"

"We are not going to walk, we would be far too exposed and we don't know the limits of our security breach yet. Either you arrange transport or we'll use the chopper to hop across there."

"We can't provide transport."

"Then we'll contact someone who can."

"Hold on!"

"No, you hold on."

Gilly had now disembarked, and produced her warrant.

"I suggest you comply, with my limited knowledge of Miss Smart you should consider your options. Where's the force vehicles?"

"Are you the protection detail?"

"No, my role hasn't been explained yet, but Miss Smart is correct in her assessment, the longer we're stood here, the greater the risk."

Tammy was on the phone to Kevin.

Tammy explained the situation. "Look, who organised these goons?"

"Police Scotland. I'll get onto them."

Suddenly an airport bus arrived, the officers clearly hadn't done anything to arrange this, but Pete was smiling.

"I've been told to take you over there."

They piled onto the bus, the police officers went to board as well but Tammy told them they weren't needed. Gilly just shrugged.

"We're not happy, Miss Smart. What if there was an incident?"

"Well, if we had transferred immediately by bus, no-one would have paid us much attention. But because we've been stood here we've attracted attention. Thanks for nothing. Oh, I'm armed so you can put those toys away."

"Who do you work for?"

"Sorry, that's a 'need to know'."

The driver closed the door and pulled away. Two minutes later they were parked next to a small jet. Tammy didn't recognise it so asked the bus driver.

"It's a Bombardier Challenger 300, seats eight comfortably plus two crew so you should be fine."

"So long as there's a loo!"

"Just open the rear door!"

This alarmed Daisy and Joan had to placate her, although Florence had caught the pun. Tanya was being very quiet but Tammy didn't have time to deal with her.

They transferred quickly and were introduced to their crew, Hailey and Pauline.

"Right, please make sure you're buckled up and we'll get this show on the road, in the air I mean!"

Pauline was clearly the second in command as she checked everyone before returning to the cockpit. They were already rolling by the time she'd taken her seat. The take off was quick, very quick, and not everyone was happy with their stomachs, which were complaining about the G force.

Once Pauline re-appeared in the cabin the seatbelt sign was off, but no-one had noticed. John, however, had a pressing need.

"Loo?"

"Just aft."

He whispered into Tanya's ear.

"Oh."

Tammy giggled. "Well, don't take all day."

John was still wearing the swimsuit so would have to struggle with that.

"Now you'll appreciate what we have to do!"

John made his way there, clearly the swimsuit had shifted and he wasn't comfortable. Pauline wasn't entirely certain what was going on, judging by her expression, but didn't ask any questions.

"Our flight time is ninety minutes, would anyone like a drink? We have tea, coffee, soft drinks and champagne."

The alcohol wasn't needed, but the first officer had a full drinks order, there was a small galley beside the loo in the forward section of the plane. The last of the drinks had been served by the time John returned.

"Drink, Sir?"

"No thanks, I don't want to use the loo again!"

Tammy relaxed, the seating was very comfortable, there was a selection of radio stations available, but before she could decide what type of music she wanted, her phone pinged.

Kevin: Sandy Franklin has been found

Tammy replied, asking if she was okay. The reply took a painful fifteen minutes.

Deceased

up
403 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well

Shit! Now, the question is, are they ahead or are they being herded? Police in the UK are a bit obsessed with guns, better they turn their hand to doing the primary job.

Why would anybody get airsick on a copter? No different than being on a plane.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Ever flown on a helicopter?

D. Eden's picture

It is NOT like flying in a plane.

I have spent a lot of time in helicopters, and in planes, and the flight characteristics are considerably different.

D.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Yes

If all my time were added up, something I have no desire to do, my accumulated time in helicopters would be measured in days. You mean to say helicopters have different flight characteristics than fixed wing aircraft? Wow, I'd never realized that!!! GMAFB

As I mentioned elsewhere, normal commercial flight operations has a different set of minimums than larger fixed wing A/C. By the time it starts to get bumpy a charter ship will be on the ground tied down or in a hanger. So bumpy flights shouldn't be a problem. I have a distressing number of hours in non-normal operations so I've ridden the roller coaster a few times.

Anyway, I stand by my previous. Unless there is an inner-ear problem any airsickness is largely mental, particularly if the person in question doesn't get airsick in commercial fixed wing flights. FWIW, my worst flight was a DC-8 from Bergen, Norway to Chicago O'Hare. We caught the express elevator several times, but I always keep my seatbelt fastened whenever seated so my only danger was from loose items and other passengers. Shit happens.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

My worst flight......

D. Eden's picture

Was nap of the earth through a few Baltic states, although doing the same through areas in Afghanistan wasn't too much fun either.

Also, most people who suffer from motion sickness do so either because of not being able to see their surroundings, or because they have control issues.

D.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Ever flown on a helicopter?

D. Eden's picture

It is NOT like flying in a plane.

I have spent a lot of time in helicopters, and in planes, and the flight characteristics are considerably different.

D.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

cue soundtrack!

Alecia Snowfall's picture

CUE SOUNDTRACK! *plays a Paul McCartney song but tweaks the lyrics*
TAM on the run! TAM on the RUN!

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Thanks a lot, now I have him

Thanks a lot, now I have him and his former bandmates' songs going through my head! Oh well it could be worse, at least it's not some awful novelty song...

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

That's Roger Miller, doing

That's Roger Miller, doing Whistlestop :)

(just really fast)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Ray Stevens

Novelty songs? You mean like "The Streak"?

Oh, yes, they call him the Streak
boogity boogity
Fastest thing on two feet
boogity boogity
He's just as proud as he can be
Of his anatomy
He goin' give us a peek


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Nah, probably more like

Nah, probably more like something from Sheb Wooley/Ben Colder.

Purple People Eater, or 50 Beers Ago.

Maybe Bobby Bare.

Ode To The Little Brown Shack Out Back. (Written by Billy Edd Wheeler)

They passed an ordinance in the town they said we'd have to tear it down
That little old shack out back so dear to me
Though the health department said its day was over and dead
It will stand forever in my memory
Don't let them tear that little brown building down
Don't let them tear that precious building down
Don't let them tear that dear old building down
There's not another like it in the country or the town

It was not so long ago that I went tripping through the snow
Out to that house behind my old hound dog
Where I would sit me down to rest like a snowbird on his nest
And I'd read that Sears and Roebuck catalog
Oh I would hum a happy tune peeping through the quarter moon
As my daddy's kin had done so much before
It was in that quiet spot daily cares could be forgot
And it gave the same relief to rich and poor
Don't let them tear...

Now it was not a castle fair but I could dream of future there
Build my castle to the yellow jackets drone
I could orbit round the sun fight with General Washington
Or be a king upon a golden throne
It wasn't fancy built at all we had newspapers on the wall
It was air-conditioned in the wintertime
Oh it was just an humble hut but its door was never shut
And a man could get inside without a dime
Don't let them tear...


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Complicated !

The action goes on and on ,definitely complicated but easy to follow ---and some people do get airsick just looking at choppers which are subject to the vagaries of wind and temperature as are fixed wing aircraft . Well done Shiraz!!

<em></em>

Mind over matter

I have a number of hours in helicopters and if you don't get airsick in planes you shouldn't in helicopters either. Particularly those large ones like they are using. (Actually they are medium-size but most civilians will not get the chance to ride in one of the large ones.) That leads me to believe that their air sickness is in their minds, not their ears. As long as they are healthy, that is. Something as simple as a head cold can mess people up.

Of course weather and the piloting can have an effect. Helicopters have a different set of minimum flight rules than bizjets and larger fixed wings. By the time things get really bumpy a civilian helicopter will be on the ground and tired down.

Piloting, OTOH, can be a real factor. One of our pilots flew AH-64 Apache attack helicopters, and he flew the Jet Ranger like he flew the Apache. Putting it politely he flew in an "agressive manner". He finally moved on to flying ENG ships where he could get away with it more often. I enjoyed riding with him but I was one of a very few. ;-)

Excuse my carrying on, I really love helicopters!


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

oh boy ...

not good ...

DogSig.png

I'm suspicious about the

I'm suspicious about the reply. 'Deceased' is not how you refer to someone who was killed, at least not in this sort of situation. Dead, killed, murdered, suspected homicide, and similar, but not 'deceased'. That makes it sound like the person sending the text at the other end was a lawyer. "The recently deceased had given us to believe.." In a case like this, it almost sounds like a cover up.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

The Chapter Was About Escape From Danger

joannebarbarella's picture

Thank you Shiraz. The immediacy of the situation was the point and was well-conveyed. Tammy was quite right to question the arrangements for transfer from one form of transport to another and to who was in charge of the arrangements.

I thought this was a great chapter from the point of view of conveying the urgency of the action.

I could probably go on about the aviation aspects as I have spent hundreds if not thousands of hours in helicopters in all sorts of situations over the years and in fixed-wing aircraft from single-engined to jumbo-jets, god knows how many hours. Yes, it is relevant to the story but is not the central issue.

Shoot!

A lot of responsibility on Tammy's young shoulders. Perhaps not smart to mention she was armed to the Scotland police. Could have gone sideways.
With all the cascading complications, I admit that I have lost track of who is behind causing these troubles and why such persistence on their part. No easy undertaking to be organizing all these attacks.

On a Side Note...

If their adversaries will be looking for a boy and a girl and the boy is currently presenting as a girl, turning the girl into a boy would seem counterproductive: the bad guys will have to at least look at the pair of them to decide that they're not who they're looking for. Two girls shouldn't draw their interest, if they're expecting the pair to be together and don't know about Finlay's alter ego.

Eric

Sad news

Jamie Lee's picture

Now the breach in security is being taken seriously, after Sandy was taken.

Had it been tight and taken seriously, Sandy and anyone else associated with anyone involved in this operation would have been placed in a secure area.

But it took Sandy being taken for security to tighten. And they now know how serious this is by finding Sandy's body.

It's time to bring those whose specific job is protection. And get everyone into a very secure location, despite what the kids may or may not want.

Others have feelings too.