A Friend in Need is a Friend in Deed -- Chp. 6 Serendipity II

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 6 – Serendipity II

The moment that meant the most to me was when Sally Janson, a friend of Jane’s, was invited to the prom at almost the last minute. She came over to the house the Saturday morning a week before the prom crying that she didn’t have a dress and couldn’t go with Billy Major, the love of her life without a nice dress. Plus, she said couldn’t afford a new one. I quietly pulled Jane aside as she was finding a box of tissues for her and told her to go to Georgina’s, get a Simplicity Pattern, the fabric and thread for it. Some accessories to add to the dress. And Jackie would make it from scratch for free.

Jane looked at me totally gob smacked, but whispered her concern, “Why are being so nice to her, Sam? I hope you aren’t doing this to get her to like you. She has a boyfriend.”

I whispered back, “No, you got me wrong Sis. Sally is much too old for me anyway. Didn’t you hear the girls talking about her mom the other day?”

“Oh my, I totally forgot. You’re right! Her mom was just diagnosed with breast cancer. That’s why she doesn’t have enough money for a dress. Oh Sam, you are an angel!”

I choked up, “Let this one be on me Sis. Please use the money I just earned. Get a really nice fabric to match up with the pattern. They will help you decide at the store what I need. Make sure she has nice shoes too. Get back as soon as possible. Jackie will be waiting for you.”

“No,” said Jane. “it’s on us. Thank you for being such a kind soul.” And she hugged me tightly once she realized why I was doing it and went off with Sally to get what was needed.

When they got back to the house, Jackie was there to greet them. Jane never asked how I was able to get dressed so easily as Jackie, where the outfit I was wearing came from, how I was able to dye my hair and to fix my hair, do my nails, put on makeup, or how I managed to do it all by myself without Mom or Jane’s help.

I measured Sally, asked her what things she wanted to tack on to the dress. Sally didn’t really want anything. Just a nice simple dress that was elegant. I worked well into the night and early the next morning to make sure I did it right. The next afternoon, Sally came to have a final fitting for the next Saturday’s prom. She brought her mother with her this time. My Mom sat down with her mom and they had a nice chat as I worked on her daughter’s prom dress. I didn’t hear much of their conversation, but I could tell some of it was about how plain Jackie was hiding a beautiful girl and what a shame it was. Two hours later, the dress looked perfect. Sally was ecstatic. Her mother couldn’t believe how beautiful Sally looked in the dress and how quickly I made it. All it needed was dry cleaning and pressing.

“Jackie,” Mrs. Janson said through tears, “I don’t know how to ever thank you. My daughter looks like a million bucks.”

I hugged her and said, “You can do it by getting well Mrs. Janson. We are all pulling for you.”

We put the finished dress in garment bag for them, handed them her newly bought shoes, and sent them out the door with hugs, kisses, and well wishes.

I walked over to the living room window to watch mother and daughter hug each other on the way out, look at the garment bag as though it was a gift from above and admire the stylish shoes, and begin slowly walking hand in hand to their car laughing and chatting. I read in their faces what I had just done for them and what a difference I had made in their lives. Things that Doug was teaching me started to take shape in my mind. I realized how he had taken a selfish brat and was turning her into a giving person. I just didn’t want to be the girl I knew I was. I wanted to be a girl that did things like this for others.

As if to echo what I was thinking, mom came up behind me and put her arms over my shoulders and held my body close to her as we both watched their journey to their car.

“Jackie,” she said watching the exit scene unfold, “I like how you help people.”

“Mom,” I reached over and laid my hand softly on her arm and said in a very mellow voice not taking my eyes off our guests leaving, “I feel like a movie. How about you?”

Jane came up to us and joined the embrace. We gazed through our living room window as the very happy Mrs. Janson carefully hung the dress up in their car while Sally smiled at her every word’s meaning, watched a mother kiss her tearful daughter on the cheek, and then watched Mrs. Janson get into their car with the happy memories of being together that afternoon with her Sally etched beautifully onto her face.

Jane leaned her head onto her mom’s shoulder fixing her blurry eyes on the two happy women in the car and breathed, “I feel like a movie too.”

We didn’t move one iota as the car pulled out of our driveway. Only our eyes followed their every move. Mom eventually said, “I think a movie would be nice.” And then said casually, “Want to change back to Sam beforehand Jackie?”

“No. I’m too afraid that this incredible warm feeling I have might go away if I do.” I sniffed.

Jane sighed at the sight of them driving further away taking the magic that happened in our living room that day with them, “I know what you mean.”

“Me too.” Mom whispered in a dreamy voice as their car turned off our street and out of sight.

So, we went to the movies and dinner afterwards, just us three girls. Mom’s treat.

We decided to leave a note. The boys had to fend for themselves.

After the prom, all I heard at the dinner table for the remaining weeks of school was Jane’s trials and tribulations about when Jackie was coming back to town so all the girls could thank her. Especially Sally.

While we all were making tuna salad for lunch on a Sunday, I finally broke and said, “Do I really need to make an encore visit as Jackie, Jane?” Jane knew she had won and started prancing around the kitchen in a kind of victory dance.

Mom suggested, “We could take you to a restaurant and let them all say nice things to you as Jackie. Then they will leave poor Jane alone for the rest of the summer. You don’t want them coming over here and figuring out that Jackie and her brother are one in the same.”

“No, I don’t. But that is not enough of a good reason.” I looked away for a moment pretending to be deep in thought. “It would only make sense if Mrs. Janson got out. I bet she needs a distraction from all her troubles. And spending time with Sally and her friends might do her some good.”

“My thoughtful boy.” Mom squeezed me as I rinsed celery in the sink. “That is an excellent reason too.”

Jane added, “And, you could make a nice dress on the cheap instead of that frumpy number we put you in.”

“And afterwards, I could donate it to charity before you make me wear it again.” I huffed. “I think Jackie has to go away, okay guys, promise? And you will have to help me get made up to look like a decent girl again.” I knew that I had to appear to hate what I was doing per Doug’s instructions.

“Looks like you talked yourself into this one son.” My dad began laughing after listening to the whole exchange. He had been standing in door when the whole conversation started. And, he had been hearing for weeks too at the dinner table about how great I was as Jackie, so he realized I had been worn down by the ladies of the house. He didn’t see that it was what I really wanted.

The next Friday, I shaved my legs and got all cleaned up. I dyed my hair temporarily again. I found myself in a pretty and a simple dress I had made that didn’t show cleavage. Somehow, I had started developing the curves for it. I put on panties and hose. Also a training bra and with appropriate stuffing I was made up by my Mom and sister. They put perfume on me. They did my hair. I wore flats even though I could handle pumps. I didn’t want them to figure that out I knew how to walk in heels. They restuffed my bra so I looked more natural, giggled, and teased me. I pretended to hate it. I used a bit of foam they gave me to hide my male member and told them it was great idea and I should use it. Later, I switched with the device I normally use. I put on my faux glasses. And we went to an Olive Garden for lunch. All the girls hugged me and Mrs. Janson too. For the next few hours, we chatted. I had a light salad and a small portion of lasagna. Eventually, I leaned over to my sister and whispered. “I need to use the powder room. What do I do?” She whispered back, “It’s just stalls. Nothing to see. Go to the ladies’ room. It will be fine.” Mom and Jane had a wry smile as they watched me haltingly walk off to the restroom and go where no man has gone before. They were right. I went into a stall and knew to sit down or else my disguise would be discovered. I peed. Grabbed a bit of toilet paper to keep up appearances. And got up, flushed. Adjusted my outfit, and went to wash my hands.

I was checking my makeup when one of the girls from our party came in and was trying to get all chatty with me. Her name was Margaret. She wanted my number so she could use my talents again. I froze. Luckily, Jane was watching out for me and came in to rescue me. So, I had my first experience in a public restroom with family.

up
145 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sweet

Lovely moment there. Thanks.

Jenna